Type keyword(s) to search

Brain Bleed: The Shows We Hate & The Reasons We Hate Them

• Start Topic

I sort of feel this way about Buffy. In fact, I've often thought that many of these very forums should have their own Buffy sub-section so the rest of us don't have to read page after page after page after page about Buffy Unpopular Opinions, for example.

To quote someone else, I wish I could give a thousand thumbs up for this, but I'll have to go find another 998 thumbs to do it.  Never watched it, never wanted to.

To my Buffy loathing, I'll add dating shows, and the plethora of shows that feature unpleasant women yelling at each other, usually for no discernable reason (Real Housewives, Bad Girls, Little Women, etc.)

I don't watch all the Law and Orders and Criminal Minds and Jags, but I don't get worked up about them.

• Love 1

It took me five years, but I finally dropped Once Upon A Time. After all the retcons and messing with some of my favorite characters, It was the fuckery with Captain Swan being the new Dark Ones that finally broke me. And the fact that the writers and producers were too cheap to even consider casting James Woods as Hades...I just don't care anymore. I really don't.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Anything by Shonda Rhimes.

So far this is true for me too, but maybe I just am not as in love with Shonda Rhimes as ABC is. I did see the first episode of Grey's Anatomy years ago and didn't hate it, but wasn't interested enough to watch it again. But then How To Get Away with Murder and Scandal came along.

How To Get Away with Murder, I hate because of the promo before the first episode that played 9,999 times a day where Viola Davis stood at the front of the class and said, "Welcome to Criminal Law, or HOW. TO. GET. AWAY. WITH. MURRRRDER." So ridiculous. I knew right then and there I would never watch the show and loathe it on principle. And I love Viola Davis, so that one hurts.

And Scandal, for the same reason. First promo:

Kerry Washington: My gut is what?

Guy: Never wrong.

KW: Never wrong.

That one made me burst out laughing because the idea of KW as a fixer also struck me as utterly ridiculous. Based on what I know of the show since then just from the commercials for it where her life is apparently always in chaos, it seems like it was indeed a non-starter.

I want to murderize every show I've never watched but still know their cast and plots because they're fucking constantly being shoved in my face by people in my life, discussion boards, ads, news/entertainment media, etc.

Ha. Yeah, I tend to develop a reactionary dislike based on that alone, especially when a show gets good reviews but only so-so ratings because then you have to deal with the fans who are constantly on about how the show is too sophisticated and intelligent for the average viewer but not for them because they get it. I think that's why I could never get really enthusiastic about Arrested Development, which I watched occasionally and liked but I just couldn't take people talking about it as if it were the raison d'etre of television itself.

• Love 4

fishcakes, I know.  I thought Arrested Development Season 1 was brilliant and pitch-perfect but after that Seasons 2-4 it's just unwatchable.  There was a feverish point back then where I thought that the fans of the show were the scourge of society.  I noticed a drop in quality (personally) but nobody else would admit its existence which kind of made me feel crazy-pants for awhile.  I had legitimate criticisms that I had thought out but they were all fingers over the ears, lalala.  Oh boy did I hate those people.  I actually can't believe how zen I feel about it now and can barely remember that.  

I used to hate The Bachelor / Bachelorette franchise for it's 20-30 seasons or whatever.  Then I got sucked in to last year's "The Bachelorette" which was a choice between a Canadian woman and a (partly) Asian woman!  I could not look away.  I have been hooked onto the franchise ever since.  (That season did a really good job of turning veteran haters, because I know I'm not the only one.)

Arrested Development - I might have watched except that it it seemed to attract all the pretentious people who usually demur that they "never watch TV" but that this was so good it was worth their precious time. Never have and never will watch one minute.

Hahahhahahaha.  I know so many people like this.  In the same category of people who "hate sitcoms" and think all sitcoms are below them, then list all of their favourite shows, every which one goddamn last one of them are sitcoms, like Arrested Development, The Office, South Park, The Simpsons, 30 Rock, and Modern Family.

Add me to the team who hates The Big Bang Theory and will never watch it (I was forced to watch one episode over and over and over and over again on a cruise.   That told me all I need to know).  And 2 Broke Girls.  It's one of those shows always on after shows I do like, or something, but it's just awful.  Add me to the team who hates Girls.  I hate Lena Dunham, and I can just tell that show was not meant for me to enjoy.

My mom viciously hates Friends but I don't think she's ever seen an episode.  She hates it.  Most of her family loves it. So that might be why.  None of the shows I love are hated the way people so viciously hate Friends.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Beavis & Butthead was made by the same person who made King of the Hill, if you've seen that more.  Also the cult-classic movies Office Space and Idiocracy. None of them are art, but all are somewhat more clever than they first appear to be.  

Office Space and Idiocracy are fantastic movies and I think they are art.

• Love 3

I've given up Shameless, The 100, The Good Wife, Madam Secretary, Pretty Little Liars, Younger and Teachers for various reasons in the last five or so weeks. Also considering giving up Castle, Blindspot, Quantico and Once Upon A Time. Any thoughts?

Pretty Little Liars was my "Twitter Show". The show I watched live and tweeted as I did but I find myself just not caring anymore which is sad. I need a new Twitter show.

Maybe the Fosters unless they go down the Braille route which I fear so, so much.

Edited by maraleia

It took me five years, but I finally dropped Once Upon A Time. After all the retcons and messing with some of my favorite characters, It was the fuckery with Captain Swan being the new Dark Ones that finally broke me. And the fact that the writers and producers were too cheap to even consider casting James Woods as Hades...I just don't care anymore. I really don't.

I never tell someone to watch a show mostly because my tastes are my own but I haven't given up on OUAT for two reasons. It was never very good to begin with and I like a show with "strong" female casts. We can debate the term strong female until we are blue in the face but on this show there are three major female cast members (not counting Belle) and all three drive most of the storylines. Plus all three have chemistry with each other in whatever form you want them to. It's actually the male folk this show needs work on which is a refreshing change.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
Also considering giving up Castle, Blindspot, Quantico and Once Upon A Time. Any thoughts?

Just as I suspected I would, I've given up on Quantico and Blindspot. Tried one episode of Blindspot after the mid season break, but didn't hold my attention. Didn't even try Quantico. Castle I gave up a long time ago, but if the comments and ratings are any indication, so did many others. Ah well, got other shows to watch.

Basically, yeah, probably best to give it up, if it's not holding your interest.

• Love 1

There are so many shows to watch now, if something doesn't hold my interest, it's history.  I gave Quanitco three chances and then I thought it was stupid and stopped watching.  IMO the seasons on TV shows in the US are just too long; shows with shorter seasons tend to hold my interest more. 

• Love 4

My Netflix list is getting longer not shorter despite only having Canadian Netflix. So, no I don't waste my time with a show that doesn't get its ass off the ground after 3 episodes. Too much to watch, not enough time!

I think I'm finally almost! over Supernatural. I occasionally lurk in the forum still (it's hard to break an 8-year addiction!) but all I read is more character assassination, canon disregard and the continuation of the dismantling of a show that I used to love so much.

I wish JA would do something new. They are such good actors, they should stretch their muscles a bit more!

I thought I would catch up in a binge mid-season (the show is always easier to digest in a binge) but so far, nothing has compelled me to do so. Every time I think about it I think how it would make me feel about earlier seasons. And then I don't want to go there. It still makes me sad, though.

• Love 1

I dropped The Voice after the blind auditions this year, and I barely watched any of those.  Once they start the head to heads, it turns into a weird exercise for the coaches in not saying anything mean to anyone.  I don't know how it turned into this, but no one will criticize anything.  The worst they'll do is "It wasn't my favorite performance from you."  And I find that extremely boring to watch.

I didn't exactly cancel Nashville but I haven't found the energy to look for it On Demand since it came back from the break.  I'll always consider Connie Britton a goddess, but this show doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  The writers keep recycling the same stale plots.

Scorpion. Yet another show where they are the most awesome, bestest crime fighters ever and everyone else is stupid, stupid, stupid. How on earth did our country survive this long without them??? And then last night I actually saw about a minute or so of the show and I kid you not one of the male characters is holding on to a tree or something, with one hand, holding on to a female character with the other and they are in what I believe they said was an f4 tornado. And of course no one had any sort of injury. At all. Seriously?

• Love 2

How To Get Away with Murder, I hate because of the promo before the first episode that played 9,999 times a day where Viola Davis stood at the front of the class and said, "Welcome to Criminal Law, or HOW. TO. GET. AWAY. WITH. MURRRRDER." So ridiculous.

I know! That ridiculousness, however, forced me to watch it.

• Love 1

Unfortunately, you can't avoid them. Constant reruns on E, plus numerous stories on every website. I check in for my gossip every morning online, and there are always at least two stories on the Kardashians!

I have never seen any episode or show that involves the name "Kardashian" in it. Just from the talk I hear and photos I see, I cannot stand them and I refuse to have them in my world!

It's not even allowed in our house.  I have no interest in it, but my kids have made mention of wanting to see a show or two to see what the fuss was about and my husband flatly refuses to allow them to watch even a minute of it.  Not because it's inappropriate for their age--they are teenagers--but he can't deal with them becoming famous for nothing other than a sex tape.

And then last night I actually saw about a minute or so of the show and I kid you not one of the male characters is holding on to a tree or something, with one hand, holding on to a female character with the other and they are in what I believe they said was an f4 tornado. And of course no one had any sort of injury. At all. Seriously?

Sounds like someone on the writing staff saw the movie Twister.

• Love 5

Scorpion. Yet another show where they are the most awesome, bestest crime fighters ever and everyone else is stupid, stupid, stupid. How on earth did our country survive this long without them??? And then last night I actually saw about a minute or so of the show and I kid you not one of the male characters is holding on to a tree or something, with one hand, holding on to a female character with the other and they are in what I believe they said was an f4 tornado. And of course no one had any sort of injury. At all. Seriously?

Oh, you don't know the half of it. What they actually did was stop the tornado, by dumping dry ice in its path, thus cooling the air enough to dissipate the strength of the winds. Because that's a thing people can do.

It is an utterly absurd, ridiculous show.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. What they actually did was stop the tornado, by dumping dry ice in its path, thus cooling the air enough to dissipate the strength of the winds. Because that's a thing people can do.

It is an utterly absurd, ridiculous show.

Hmmm...absurd and ridiculous can be fun for me...you may have actually convinced me to check this show out someday! ;)

• Love 2

Hmmm...absurd and ridiculous can be fun for me...you may have actually convinced me to check this show out someday! ;)

I keep watching it for some of the main characters because  I've come to really like them.  But, yeah, the "science" is absurd. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Scorpion sounds good, but I don't watch it because they all look uninteresting, no matter what their specialties.  Agent Carter is a show that I've never watched.  Then I remember that James D'Arcy is in it, and I think I should watch it.  Then I look it up on the IMDB and see that Chad Michael Murray is in it.  Then I remember why I won't watch it.    There are some actors that I just won't watch at all.  I don't know why.  I used to watch One Tree Hill, but I guess I had enough of him. 

I don't watch the zombie shows.  I saw the first episode of TWD, searching for some metaphorical significance, and couldn't find any, and I like Andrew Lincoln a lot.   I did watch the first season of In The Flesh, which is a little different, but I couldn't get into it again for the second season.

I've seen Criminal Minds, because I know someone who watches it, but I think it's horrendous.

I've watched golf.  I like to look at the courses. 

Edited by atomationage

I'd fudging because I did watch sporadically the first couple of season, but I now hate that Grey's Anatomy still exists. No good reason, of course, but twelve seasons of this shit already? Enough.

If PTV would stop covering it so I didn't have to see the recaps on the main page any more, that would help. ;)

All I know about Scorpion is from the promos. My question is do they have individual names ? Every commercial refers to them as "These geniuses".

I can't stand watching the promos for Scorpion because it reminds me that Leverage, a genuinely smart and very entertaining show with a similar premise (only it featured an assemblage of uniquely brilliant former criminals doing good under the radar) couldn't even get on network TV, and was canceled abruptly by TNT (though the finale was quite dramatic).

• Love 2

I can't stand watching the promos for Scorpion because it reminds me that Leverage, a genuinely smart and very entertaining show with a similar premise (only it featured an assemblage of uniquely brilliant former criminals doing good under the radar) couldn't even get on network TV, and was canceled abruptly by TNT (though the finale was quite dramatic).

I irrationally hate Scorpion, a show I have never watched, because it co-stars Kat McPhee who is on my "celebrity I irrationally hate" list.    But I like your reasoning better. Leverage is like the tv version of comfort food for me.  When I am flipping around and can't settle on something, I'll find an episode of Leverage and watch it.  Always makes me happy.

• Love 3
I irrationally hate Scorpion, a show I have never watched, because it co-stars Kat McPhee who is on my "celebrity I irrationally hate" list.

I did too, for the same reason as you. But I caught an episode a couple of weeks ago and found out Robert Patrick is on the show (love him). Now I think I may have to watch it. I'm so torn!

Any reality show with kids as the contestants. It could be the best show ever, but I have no interest. Heck, most of them are bad enough on fictional shows.

• Love 1

Ditto on the Scorpion hate. Other shows I can't stand from their TV spots alone: Grimm because of the godawful special effects when someone turns into a werewolf or a troll or something, and Once Upon a Time because they just started ripping off Disney at some point. Game of Thrones also gets on my nerves because whenever an important character gets raped or murdered on that show, which is probably every other episode, EVERYBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT. 

• Love 1

Scandal. I missed three weeks in a row, which was easy to do because the NCAA tournament and the World Figure Skating Championships were a great distraction. I DVR-ed it, but didn't go back and even watch my recordings. I just deleted them. This week, there really wasn't a decent distraction on, so I had Scandal on as background noise. I looked up as the show's protagonist proceeded to beat a man in a wheelchair to death...with a chair. Granted, the guy was a scumbag, responsible for some shady shit, including the kidnapping of the protagonist (last season), but this was gratuitous gore. Yet, this is the show that gets a majority of the promotion from Shondaland and ABC. I'm still into Grey's, but I need an alternative at 9:00. I just can't anymore with Scandal.

Edited by ChicksDigScars

This past two weeks it was The Catch, Empire and Sleepy Hollow. So far I've given up on 16 shows since last September and that's never happened before. This many shows in such a short time.

• Love 1

I drop shows so much faster than I used to. I just don't have the patience to foce myself to watch something I'm never going to like.

Sleepy Hollow is definitively cancelled after last night. I also dropped Blindspot, Quantico, and The 100 after one or two episodes.

I agree that Grey's is a hard one to quit. I think it's because it used to be amazing and I keep thinking it might surprise me. It never does. I did quit cold turkey for a season or two after Shonda threw George under a bus though.

Edited by blugirlami21

I think I am now officially done with The Simpsons. It doesn't really make me laugh anymore and they just keep recycling the same plot lines over and over.

But the biggest reason is that I can no longer tolerate the character of Marge, who irritates me so much that every time she speaks I yell "Shut up, shut up, shut up" over and over at my TV screen. I feel like I'm the only person in the world that doesn't jump on the whole "Marge is the patron saint of martyrs and her ungrateful family just lucky to be in her shadow" bandwagon.

I finally quit Grey's when the killed Mark.  Callie is my favorite and her friendship with him was the best thing she had going on.  I didn't want to watch her chained to the horrible Arizona and not even have her bff to turn to.

I'm a sucker for genre shows and will usually give them way more leeway than I do regular shows, but this season of Arrow was it for me. I was never the biggest Oliver fan, but they managed to make me hate Felicity too, which - since every plot apparently circles around their relationship nowadays - means I can't even just skip those scenes and watch Diggle and Thea do their thing.

I gave up on Pretty Little Liars too this season: the show's strongest point has always been the four girls' friendship, but a love triangle that came out of the blue just ruined that. The show runner's promise of season seven being the "most romantic yet" just gave more strength to my conviction that I was doing the right thing.

I desperately wanted to love Outlander, since it's right up my alley, but I just can't. I've tried to watch season one several times now, but I just get so ... annoyed at both of the leads.

I did give up on Nashville about halfway into the current season, but I've returned with Hayden P. And I realized I've actually missed the show. Not enough to go back and watch those episodes I've missed, but enough to watch the season through.

For those of you who gave up on The Magicians: I almost did that too after the first four episodes, but the last ones are actually really, really good, and I'm happy I stuck with it now. I just think they had a lot of worldbuilding they had to get out of the way before the characters could come into their own.

Sleepy Hollow is definitively cancelled after last night.

I am right there with you. Without Abbie Mills, there is no reason for me to watch anymore. I stuck around for the chemistry between Abbie and Crane whether that be friendship or more. I hope to see Nicole Beharie in something soon. Since I am giving up on Sleepy Hollow regardless if it gets another season, I hope to see Tom Mison in something else as well.

• Love 6

I am right there with you. Without Abbie Mills, there is no reason for me to watch anymore. I stuck around for the chemistry between Abbie and Crane whether that be friendship or more. I hope to see Nicole Beharie in something soon. Since I am giving up on Sleepy Hollow regardless if it gets another season, I hope to see Tom Mison in something else as well.

I'd given up on Sleepy Hollow simply because I kept forgetting it was on but when I heard what happened on the finale, I'm like, "WTF? How can you continue a show when you kill off one of the lead characters?  Especially on a show where they're really TWO lead characters.

It sounds to me like some shady shit went on behind the scenes with that show.  So fuck it and fuck the show.

• Love 3

Seems like Empire is a common pick.  That first season was so good, and Cookie was a revelation.  I don't understand how it all went so wrong.  Watching is like torture for me, so I think I'm done.  I feel like the show deliberately did away with what made it so good at first.  

The Catch.  Can anyone actually pay attention to this one, let alone follow it?   I had such high hopes.

Quantico, Pah!  I was done with that awhile ago, I just wish I gave up earlier.  A fantastic, A+ pilot with a whole bunch of unrewarding, convoluted crap afterwards.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

If my husband weren't still interested, I'd be done with The Walking Dead (and Fear TWD). I'm fully hatewatching it now and if my husband weren't into it, I be keeping up by reading one of the flood of articles that come out the next day.

• Love 1

I dropped Love after four episodes. I kind of liked it when I watched it and felt pleasantly entertained, but it's just not enough to hold my interest. There was no desire to see the next episode. Maybe I will continue to watch on a rainy Sunday one day, but right now there's too much other good stuff out there.

My husband loves Love.  Me, I found the main guy character, Gus, became unbearable as the show went on.  So i gave up.

The Catch.  Can anyone actually pay attention to this one, let alone follow it?   I had such high hopes.

I am enjoying The Catch as mindless eye-candy -- the beautiful clothes, the expensive cars, the art, the homes etc.  i think this will be one of those shows where the supporting characters are more interesting than the two main ones.

As far as cancelling shows.  I cancelled Sleepy Hollow with extreme prejudice.  If it comes back I won't watch it, it if doesn't, good.   I'll miss Nicole an Tom though.  They were magic.

I also cancelled Empire.  I just don't have any excitement for it anymore.  I had six eps on my DVR saved to catch and just decided to delete them.

I realized I just stopped watching Scandal.  It wasn't intentional, more like... neglect.  And I have no desire to pick it back up.

Same deal with Project Runway & So You Think You Can Dance.

• Love 1

I will stick with Project Runway until the bitter end, and I wouldn't be mad if that bitter end was when I am 100 years old...   Same with Survivor.  I was actually sad that Idol was cancelled!  That show left me before I ever wanted to leave it.

Scandal though, that show started out with so much promise.  Whenever the B613 B18 whatever started, I had to go.

I'm really bad at letting go, so I can foresee myself giving The Catch 1 or 2 more chances.  

Outlander, because I tried reading the book when it first came out and I decided it was horribly written crap and it made me hate time-travel romances for eternity.  Also because the main actor isn't nearly attractive enough to play a Scotsman named Jamie.  (N.B., I have a thing for Scotsmen and for men named Jamie, so this should've been right up my alley, but alas, no.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I liked the first half of the first season of Outlander, but hated the second half.  I have the first book, but damn, it's long.   I thought the lead male was a lousy actor.   I peeked at the first episode of the second season, and they seem to be back in 1948.  I don't know if I'll watch it.

I think I'm ready to cancel Outlander. I think I really wanted to like it but I find myself fast forwarding a lot.

I also hate that Grey's has an unrealistic amount of disasters and death for the cast on a show about doctors.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 1

I think I'm ready to cancel Outlander. I think I really wanted to like it but I find myself fast forwarding a lot.

I also hate that Grey's has an unrealistic amount of disasters and death for the cast on a show about doctor

Are you caught up on Outlander? Don't give up on the show yet.

• Love 1

I cancelled NCIS after S9 because Ziva just made it so unwatchable to me.

I did uncancel it after she'd left in S11 and stayed with it through most of S12, but by then I was just fed up with Gibbs that I ended up cancelling it again.

NCIS Los Angeles is going pretty much the same way, mainly because I don't like that they've paired up Deeks and Kensi (I find it completely ridiculous that they'd be allowed work together in the field while being in a relationship).  I do still have the eps on series link, so I may catch up with it when time allows.

One advantage of eps not airing in my area until weeks or months after the original airdate is that I can sometimes cancel a show before a character gets killed off.  So as far as I'm concerned, Sleepy Hollow ended mid way through S3 and Abby Mills is alive and well!

(and Person of Interest only had two seasons and Carter isn't dead either...and nobody please tell me any differently!!!)

• Love 2