Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

That was sad.

The vowel category could have been answered by knowing the names of the various parliaments. After Ken explained the first one, the others should have been easy. 

It was like everybody was drowsy.

8 hours ago, secnarf said:

I mean, speaking only for myself, you could outright ask me "what is the parliament of Japan" and I would have no idea. I knew the country associated with Ben Gurion was Israel but didn't know what the Israeli parliament is called. For me, it wasn't not understanding the category - I just didn't know the answers, plain and simple. I had assumed it was the same for the contestants, but if many people here got them, then maybe not?

I knew the parliaments, but I couldn't call them up while concentrating on the vowels. If they just asked for the parliament of Israel or Germany, I think I would have gotten them (I do normally know them!) but somehow even though I knew which countries they meant, I couldn't get them out. It was very frustrating and crazy making, but the vowels just tied my brain up. I'm going to presume the same thing happened to the players.

Congrats to all three though. They all earned those spots in their original games, and they were all mature and gracious about a game that didn't go anyone's way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I was rooting for all of them but it did end up being a fairly poor game.  I think there was too much ringing in before they knew the answer and then the answer never came.  Anyhow, congrats to all for being there in the first place and to Maureen for winning.

I didn't realize there were fifteen ts's - that's a lot.  I did get frappé, echelon, Diet, and quintefoil.  I knew knesset but didn't get it out in time.

FJ was not quite an instaget but it was pretty quick.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

It was a low energy game - though I thought it was because we watched a recording of Celebrity Jeopardy (with Wil Wheaton and Hasan Minhaj just before it - it was an energetic game)

I did pretty poorly in general (and answered that the subtitle for Terminator 2 was "He's Back - 🤣)

But FJ was an instaget - and I thought it was way too easy for the TOC.

Sad that Ryan lost.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

So sad that Ryan did not get through.  I don’t remember the winner’s name but I remember she seemed a bit head in the clouds during her appearances.  I found yesterday’s game tougher than regular games although FJ!  was an instaget.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I don’t remember the winner’s name but I remember she seemed a bit head in the clouds during her appearances.

Maureen. She wasn't my favorite during the season but she wasn't my least favorite, either.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

came across an article about Sears the other day and noticed that the way they present the name in their logo went from "Sears" to "SEARS" in 1984 back to "Sears" in 2004 and then to "sears" in 2010.  I'm sure there are many other similar examples.   

Narrator: it did not help them 

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
40 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Maureen. She wasn't my favorite during the season but she wasn't my least favorite, either.

She was all over the internet during her initial appearances (4 wins).  She seemed really giddy (not like rowan, though) and some people thought she was drunk.  She was a lot calmer this time. Ryan seemed nervous.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SierraMist said:

She was all over the internet during her initial appearances (4 wins).  She seemed really giddy (not like rowan, though) and some people thought she was drunk.  She was a lot calmer this time. Ryan seemed nervous.  

Ryan was #4 in the rankings, so I’m sure he was feeling the pressure. Maureen was at the bottom of the rankings, so fewer expectations and far less pressure.

Anyway, Amy will crush her like a bug. I don’t think Amy does pressure.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Man this might be one of my worst games ever - 67% / 30% 😶 / 48%. I plead migraine. In J! I missed one in Vowel-less Hawaiian and Catch-2022 and two in everything else. In DJ I completely failed Art and Bridges, missed four Bids, three Hearts, and two in the others. My only TS were cantons (DD) and fist bump.

I didn't have strong feelings either way about anyone tonight but I was rooting for Andrew and his tall hair. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Bridges, missed four Bids, three Hearts

Sounds like you're playing cards!

I also had a pretty bad game, just couldn't seem to concentrate or come up with things I know like the back of my hand, like Michigan Ave!! (born and raised in Illinois) but I did get the Cam.

• Like 3

My mother and I screamed, "Nooooooo" when Andrew risked 10k on that Daily Double. I thought that miss would sink him, but the conservative wager in Final paid off. 

This was a much better game in terms of flow and momentum. The female contestant was never really in it, but the finish was exciting. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Unfortunately, Christine and I both had a bad game tonight.  For everyone else, it was much better than last night's! 

I only ran plays and 2022 in the first round, but I got all but one each in European and Hawaiian.  I missed two in slogans and was utterly terrible in Crocodile Pop; the only one I knew was Elton John.

In DJ, I only ran directors.  I missed one or two in the rest, other than bridges, in which I missed three.

I never settled on a guess for FJ, so it was just not my game all around.

• Like 2

Well, my second pick in a row tanked. Nice to see Christine rocking her magenta hair (with matching outfit!), though!

Tonight’s clues were much shorter and more direct, compared to last night’s. I’d be curious to know if Ryan had the buzzer edge last night, because that actually could have been his downfall. Ringing in quickly and then figuring it out can be a winning strategy in a tournament where almost everyone knows almost every answer, but not if the clues are so long that you can’t even parse them before time runs out. (And yes, I’m still disappointed for Ryan.)

I certainly had a better game than last night. No FJ, though. Unless it involves J. Alfred Prufrock living in a Pretty How Town (and barring any J! greatest hits like Grecian urn or Robert Frost), I’m basically lost when it comes to poetry.

Good to see @Prevailing Wind has already chimed in! Hope all went well today.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was delighted to look up the results of today's episode and see Andrew won. Made me very happy. Then I did an online search and found this. What a jerk.

newsweek.png.e186300302eed89a1c62ce8ac4a19b61.png

Jerk, indeed! And he was gifted with two categories that were closely related to his career, but still lost. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was delighted to look up the results of today's episode and see Andrew won. Made me very happy. Then I did an online search and found this. What a jerk.

newsweek.png.e186300302eed89a1c62ce8ac4a19b61.png

Did you read the interview?  He actually came across as pretty likeable and recpectful of all the other players.  It was just a joke.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

Congrats to Andrew.

My ts's were cantons, fist bump, Brutus, and Cam.

For FJ, I figured the poem in the clue sounded like it told a story so I thought of poets who told stories and came up with Longfellow, via Evangeline and Hiawatha.

• Applause 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Did you read the interview?  He actually came across as pretty likeable and recpectful of all the other players.  It was just a joke.

I was rooting for Andrew but Jonathan played a very good game and made it an interesting contest.

Headlines can be very misleading. And the article itself doesn't include the interviewer's questions that influenced the response. His full comment on not getting a chance for a rematch with Matt was:

The callous way of thinking about losing my game is that I have already beaten Matt Amodio so I don't need to play him again in the Tournament of Champions. I couldn't say whether Matt's relieved that he doesn't have to play me now!

Truthfully, I was excited to play two other people I hadn't played before. It would have been nice to play some other people too, and if Matt had been part of that, it would have been great.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Trying to fix quote
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

I always feel bad for a contestant who is in the hole while the other two are doing well. Of the three, I only liked Christine & was pulling for her. Do these folks get too nervous? They've already played well enough to qualify for the TOC.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ, I figured the poem in the clue sounded like it told a story so I thought of poets who told stories and came up with Longfellow, via Evangeline and Hiawatha.

I focused on the early date which left me in my ignorance a choice between Longfellow and Tennyson and I easily eliminated Tennyson based on nationality. Luckily, because I was imagining the wrong Portland. (I cannot stress enough how much ignorance helped me here.)

I was very mad that I didn't know Brutus. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ugh. Clearly I am not destined to ever be a J! Champion.

53% / 57% / 55%

Geez, there's a lotta white on my scoreboard again. In J! I ran Historic Names, missed one in The Law, two in You Left Me, three in 5,5 and Baroque, and (not surprisingly) all five in MLB. In DJ I ran Health & Medicine, missed three Simon Says, four Anagrams (I was just not quick enough tonight), and two each in the others. Didn't get FJ, got zero DDs and my only TS was house mouse.

Felt bad for Brian, he just couldn't seem to get it going. I was mostly rooting for Tyler but Margaret was one of those who grew on me during her run, so I was okay with either of them winning. Surprised but not surprised she bet so little when she was tied. I remember her being a cautious better, but in that situation you kinda have to go for it (but then you also have to consider if you both get it wrong the other guy might win).

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Well to make up for me not getting Michigan Ave. yesterday I did get the Chicago Cubs today, Ron Santo was my sister's favorite player (mine was Randy Hundley), the only other TS I got was Venice. I still love Margaret, wish she had won.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I had a terrible game.

I didn't get FJ.  All I could think of was Indian giver and I knew that wasn't right, but it wouldn't leave my head to think of anything else.

I got the missed clues of Venice and house mouse.

I got the entire category of law right an the entire category of MLB wrong.

29 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Surprised but not surprised she bet so little when she was tied. I remember her being a cautious better, but in that situation you kinda have to go for it (but then you also have to consider if you both get it wrong the other guy might win).

Yes, she was in a tough place.  I often criticize players for not betting bigger, but I sympathize with Margaret here.  The TOC FJs are (in recent tournaments) harder than the FJs in regular play, so there is a good chance you might get it wrong.  I'm not sure I would have done anything different from what she did.  On the other hand, she might regret that decision for a long time.

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

I enjoyed this game. Tyler did well and too bad Margaret didn't go for it with her bet (that would've been interesting if she had). If you visit Stockholm, take in the beauty of this regal city, including Gamla Stan (old town). Just fuhgeddabout that Globen SkyView. What a waste of time because the vista is all flat.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Great game. I agree FJ wagers can be dicey. Margaret is probably kicking herself for not risking it all, but it just as easily could've gone the other way if both she and Tyler missed, and she didn't give herself a cushion. I was fine with either of them winning. 

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and seeing whether Rowan can keep the momentum going from the Second Chance Tournament. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, possibilities said:

That was an exciting game.

I misunderstood FJ. I thought they wanted w phrase that described the failure to fulfill a promise, not that they wanted to know what the promise had been.

Yes. It was yet another poorly worded clue, in my opinion. 😒

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Great game by Margaret and Tyler.  I was hoping she'd win, and once I saw the FJ clue I thought all three would get it and hoped the two of them would both bet it all, forcing a tiebreaker.  Oh well.

For a bit there, I thought I was going to wind up missing two in every single first round category, but I wound up getting all but one in law and names.  I didn't run anything, ouch.

I kicked ass in DJ, though -- I almost ran the whole round!  But I missed two in child actors.

FJ was an instaget. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

That was an exciting game.

I misunderstood FJ. I thought they wanted w phrase that described the failure to fulfill a promise, not that they wanted to know what the promise had been.

I swear the clue writers main objective this year is to make the answers as confusing and convoluted as possible. I don't know how the players can decipher the word salad and come up with the question in under thirty seconds. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, I didn’t get it at all. 

I was very sad that no one knew Cheap Trick.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Thank you! I wish you had been at my house to back me up as I argued with my husband. I thought of and rejected “40 acres and a mule” because although that was the promise, it is not a phrase that has entered the vernacular as something that means an unfulfilled promise. I thought they were looking for a commonly used phrase— something like “hoisted by his own petard”, where people know what it means, but may not know the origin.

Anyway, my husband said the right answer, called me a sore loser for protesting the clue, and he may be right, but I don’t care. I’m still mad.

24 minutes ago, SHD said:

I was very sad that no one knew Cheap Trick.

Me too. My response to that triple miss was, “Babies.”

As you can see, it was a grumpy game for me.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Well to make up for me not getting Michigan Ave. yesterday I did get the Chicago Cubs today, Ron Santo was my sister's favorite player (mine was Randy Hundley), the only other TS I got was Venice. I still love Margaret, wish she had won.

I was literally yelling at the screen during all the baseball clues. So easy for me, so hard for them.

Don Kessinger was "my" Cub.

And I too wish Margaret had won. Nothing against the other players, I just like her.

• Like 4
  • Love 3