Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

@Kohola3:  Ain't that the truth.  I saw it in a friend who got married soon after I did but was engaged a year before.  There was an engagement party, a shower, then she fell in love with a dress (that she later decided was awful; that was the 1980s so it had big sequins, leg-o-mutton sleeves, and a giant-brimmed HAT), and her wedding had to grow to fit the dress.  Now she is still married, but that was 30+ years ago.  

When I was 25 I was obsessed with bride magazines, but by the time I met my husband and got married at 31, it all seemed silly and a waste of money.  And now, when every single milestone in life is a circus -- the pregnancy announcement, the birth party, the christening party, the one-year-old party, the escalating parties every year, the prom bash, the graduation bash -- all catered, all involving hundreds of people -- it's no wonder that by the time a girl gets married, she wants to be lowered into the church via a flying Faberge egg festooned with babies done up like cherubs in a Renaissance painting.  She's USED to being the center of attention and the wedding just ups the ante.

Side note:  I'm sorry, but "big girls" should not do strapless.  Flat-chested girls should not do strapless.  Strapless is a really hard look to pull off effectively.  If you're a big girl, you look stuffed into it.  If the "girls" are big, you're spilling out of it.  If you're flat-chested, you look ridiculous.  I can't tell you how many strapless dresses I've seen on this show where the consultant put a bit of chiffon over the shoulder and turned a horror into something legitimately pretty.  

The prettiest dress I've seen on this show is the girl who was in the horrible accident where her parents were killed.  In most cases, less is more.  I don't understand these girls in their Pnina Tornai corset dresses because they want everyone to wish they could f**k her on her wedding day.  

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

...it's no wonder that by the time a girl gets married, she wants to be lowered into the church via a flying Faberge egg festooned with babies done up like cherubs in a Renaissance painting.

OK, now you made me spit my Coke on my computer screen!

13 minutes ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

...then she fell in love with a dress (that she later decided was awful; that was the 1980s so it had big sequins, leg-o-mutton sleeves, and a giant-brimmed HAT)

Lord, I remember those awful days and I don't think it was many years later that brides were saying "what the hell was I thinking".  Much like anyone wearing this monstrosity from the Stripper Fairy collection.  No way in hell this look will be something anyone would look back upon fondly.

dress.jpg

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 4

Full Disclosure: I haven't watched in a couple years since they started with the selfie cams coming into the store and super glam camera filters so I literally have no idea what I'm talking about....

However, just from the commercials Shay is super annoying. I'm happy to see him getting a bit of hate here. LOL

2 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

Now this is MY idea of a gorgeous dress.

Ditto.  And one that can truly be called classic.  I always fall down laughing when a bride asks for something classic and they haul out either a Stripper Fairy number or a mermaid with a sweetheart neckline, ruching, and beading which translate to not a classic but the same as every other dress on the rack.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

the pregnancy announcement, the birth party, the christening party, the one-year-old party, the escalating parties every year, the prom bash, the graduation bash -- all catered, all involving hundreds of people

You forgot the "gender reveal" party...

• Love 8
On 1/7/2017 at 11:02 PM, snarktini said:

I stopped in for a couple of episodes today as background noise. Such a mistake! Caught a couple of super spoiled, entitled brides wanting something no one has ever seen.

One (Amanda) spent 30K of her parents' money on a custom Pnina to achieve maximum bling and volume. In her talking heads she informs us she dislikes anything that looks cheap. Which made me think some very uncharitable things about the quality of her straw hair and bad tan.  I really need to stay away... bitchiness is not a good look on me.

Let me do it for you.  To paraphrase the legendary Dolly Parton, it obviously costs this girl a lot of money to look that cheap.

say-yes-the-big-day-amanda-20.jpg

• Love 13
On 3/13/2017 at 11:39 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

Today there was a repeat of an episode with an oldish, over-tanned bride who feel in love with a $21,000 Pnina that was only shown on the runway.  The consultants had to pull it out of "the vault."

The dress was very ornate if you like ornate, but there were two huge blinged out bows each topping the highest points of the sweetheart necklace.  Since the bride had huge fake tatas with wrinkly tobacco-colored skin, the big bows were really in your face.  No one had the sense to suggest they be omitted.

Found it!

pnina.jpg

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Found it!

pnina.jpg

If I'm remembering correctly, this bride had recently lost her young child, and I remember her as really fragile, if not mentally ill. The pictures they showed from her with her child showed a much different woman: no plastic surgery face, no harsh, draggy grooming...I remember thinkIng at the time that her child's death must have destroyed her, and so, call me a sucker, but I was happy to see her have a little joy. To say that dress is over the top is the understatement of the year, but I can't hold it against her.

• Love 5

She needs something deeper than a dress to make her happy - all this will hit the fan when it's over. That's too big of a loss to fill up with a pricey, tacky gown. I really do hope she finds some true healing & peace.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

She needs something deeper than a dress to make her happy - all this will hit the fan when it's over.

That show was many years ago. I do wonder how she is doing now.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

She needs something deeper than a dress to make her happy - all this will hit the fan when it's over. That's too big of a loss to fill up with a pricey, tacky gown. I really do hope she finds some true healing & peace.

Agreed. I don't think anyone thinks that somehow that dress healed her. I certainly don't think so, and she herself probably doesn't think so either. That said, again, the dress clearly brought her a little joy, and I think she deserves that. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pachengala said:

Agreed. I don't think anyone thinks that somehow that dress healed her. I certainly don't think so, and she herself probably doesn't think so either. That said, again, the dress clearly brought her a little joy, and I think she deserves that. 

Hopefully her marriage is good! It would be awful for her to have more heartbreak.

• Love 1

The wedding planner...what a piece of work. She was SO full of herself because she's a damn wedding planner. What?!? Get a real job, sister.  Three "interns."

What bothered me was her blatant disregard for Randy and the seamstress by running up the stairs with her phone in hand without as much as an "Excuse me for a few minutes please.  I have to take this call."  Which actually, she didn't.  Her business wouldn't fail because she didn't answer one call from a hysterical bride!   She could've had one of the assistants/interns answer and very nicely tell the person that the consultant is in a meeting and will have to call her back.  It's really that simple.

I'm a dental hygienist, and I'm seeing this rudeness more and more.  I am fine if a person sits in the chair and tells me that they're expecting an important call; or that they have a teenager who is driving and they'd like to have the phone handy in case he/she calls (one guy's son had a flat tire while driving, so he was understandably anxious about that);  or things of that nature are things that I truly understand.  It's the young woman who sat in my chair and took a phone call from her boyfriend who is in prison, and continued to sit there and shoot the shit with him, all the while ignoring me, is what I detest.  I'm not any more important than anybody else, but like Randy and that seamstress, we're on a schedule and we don't have time to sit there and wait for our patient/client to decide when THEY want to continue on with their appointment.   It's just rude.  As much as I love cell phones, I think they are a big reason for the breakdown of human courtesy towards each other.  This was a prime example of that, IMO.

• Love 16
46 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

As much as I love cell phones, I think they are a big reason for the breakdown of human courtesy towards each other.  This was a prime example of that, IMO.

Lord, yes. The amount of time inconveniently blathering about inconsequential things is out of control  There is no excuse for keeping any person standing by to perform a service (be it butcher, baker, beautician, or banker) waiting for no other reason than to shoot the breeze with someone.  Emergencies are rare, rudeness is becoming a daily issue.  Makes me an old fogy but, geez Louise, I managed to live quite a fulfilling life without cell phones for most of my life.  Convenient, yes.  Essential, not so much.

• Love 7
On 3/9/2017 at 0:09 PM, Pachengala said:

Speaking of people who love Randy, Intern Nick is the most delightful change to the new season for me. What a sweetheart. His Burberry tie and red pocket square had me pegging him as Randy's mini-me before Randy even said it, and gimmicky or no, I'm here for it. 

Yes! More Nick, less Shay.

I wonder why all the female consultants have to wear black but he gets to wear a blue jacket?

I watch this show for the dresses, and I get my love-to-hate out on the brides who spend way too much money or have really tacky taste. But it's harmless and fun. I don't like watching personal work conflict, it stresses me out. I think it's great they finally have a male consultant but why him? He's so attention-y, ugh.

I love Pinterest, there's just so much pretty. But I totally agree about the "it's not a thing" occasions getting out of control, and it definitely has enabled that. As well as helping to make the Crafthood Coven of the Wedding Industrial Complex and Birthday Industrial Complex make you feel bad if you didn't make or customize every favor, table centerpiece, cupcake and balloon animal.  And I say this as someone who loves to craft, bake and all of that stuff. But it's just sometimes too much.

Back to the show...  The wedding planner bride was insufferable, but her intern/asst Keira lookes like (or is trying to look) like Adele. I liked her hair and kept imagining her calling Bride on her cell with "Hello from the other SIDE!".  During one of Keira's interviews there's a box of napkins labelled "Today is my favorite" Napkins . That about sums it up.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Lord, yes. The amount of time inconveniently blathering about inconsequential things is out of control  There is no excuse for keeping any person standing by to perform a service (be it butcher, baker, beautician, or banker) waiting for no other reason than to shoot the breeze with someone.  Emergencies are rare, rudeness is becoming a daily issue.  Makes me an old fogy but, geez Louise, I managed to live quite a fulfilling life without cell phones for most of my life.  Convenient, yes.  Essential, not so much.

You'd be amazed how many times I've been bumped into by someone who is so busy texting they're not watching where they're going.  Usually, I just see them coming and stand perfectly still.  I refuse to move out of their way.  They walk right into me.  It's almost a game for me.  I'm mean like that.

• Love 13

Makes me an old fogy but, geez Louise, I managed to live quite a fulfilling life without cell phones for most of my life.  Convenient, yes.  Essential, not so much.

You sound just like me!  Back in the day (now I do sound old!), if you had a car emergency you pulled over to one of the many pay phones available and called for help.  If you had a flat tire, you fixed it yourself. 

You'd be amazed how many times I've been bumped into by someone who is so busy texting they're not watching where they're going.  Usually, I just see them coming and stand perfectly still.

I once watched as a mall Santa (he walked around rather than sit) saw a guy coming towards him who happened to be texting.  The guy didn't even look up.  Santa got in front of him, then the guy stopped, and Santa told him very nicely that he almost missed seeing Santa because he was on his phone.  The guy smiled and went on. 

I wish Randy would've told the wedding planner that she'd have to come back for her fitting if she wasn't available at the time they appointed for her.  It's rude not to value the time she was given.  She wouldn't like it if somebody kept her waiting.   On another note, I didn't really like the lace pants outfit the one bride tried on.   I've seen a few bridal pantsuits that looked okay, but they were more of a silk looking fabric, fitted around the thighs, but flared at the bottom.  Maybe once that outfit was tailored to her I would like it more.  She has a beautiful figure. 

Flat-chested girls should not do strapless.

Speaking for myself, amen to that!  I've never tried on a strapless anything.  I don't have much to hold it up!  I guess those corset-types of gowns are pretty snug though.  I remember them talking about it on the show.  I've seen a few smaller chested women on the show who looked good in a strapless, but some of them looked even smaller, so that's not the look I'd be going for!  Some of the brides I've seen with a strapless on either have an ill-fitting dress, or they' meant to look this way, but I've noticed that some of the top part sticks out and you see the bra/cups underneath.  The dress doesn't seem snug enough around the chest.  What's the deal with that? 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2017 at 6:45 AM, Kohola3 said:

I was googling around while drinking my coffee this morning.  I remember this woman well; I think she bought the dress for a vow renewal (not a wedding).  Her episode aired in 2010.  Her husband passed away in 2012.  It was apparently sudden; he was only 39.

On 3/16/2017 at 9:45 AM, Kohola3 said:

I didn't know any of the backstory... I guess I can't hide the fact that I fast forward the introduction of the entourage, the description of the groom and how they met, and the venue... I >>>FF>>> straight to the dresses!

Her episode aired in 2010.  Her husband passed away in 2012.  It was apparently sudden; he was only 39.

Her husband was only 39?  How old was she?  She either married a much younger man or she is aging very badly.  Sad, though, that she apparently has lost her husband and her son.

• Love 3

Randy's mom is a trip and I love her

That bride's mother was a terrible, horrific person. What a sad excuse for a mother. Robin the consultant was also great

Shay can leave at any time. 

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 15
On 3/15/2017 at 6:50 PM, roughing it said:

On 3/15/2017 at 2:04 PM, brilliantbreakfast said:

the pregnancy announcement, the birth party, the christening party, the one-year-old party, the escalating parties every year, the prom bash, the graduation bash -- all catered, all involving hundreds of people

You forgot the "gender reveal" party...

And the smaller "sprinkle" shower for subsequent babies, the "babymoon" and don't forget the husband has to produce a "push present." 

• Love 5

LOVE Randy's mom.  She looks great for 93!  It seems like she and Randy have a great relationship.

That one mother was a complete nightmare.  If I was her daughter, I'd elope and not tell her until after.  She will want all the attention on her at the wedding.

Go away Shay.  He doesn't seem to understand that it's supposed to be about the bride, not about him.  And why does he get to dress so much more casually than the other consultants.  I'm no prude, but I wouldn't want a male consultant helping me into the gowns.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, camom said:

Go away Shay.  He doesn't seem to understand that it's supposed to be about the bride, not about him.  And why does he get to dress so much more casually than the other consultants. 

My first thought at seeing him in that ridiculous blue vest was … WTF!  Did he just get off work from his first job as a stock boy @ Walmart? 

• Love 13

Coming out of lurking to say that I agree about the way Shay was dressed!  Also, this show is way too long now.  1/2 hour a week was perfect.  Now, I just get bored.  The English version is nice only in that we get to see some different dresses than what we see in the NYC episodes, but I can already see that they are going to start looking the same after a while. 

Why do show producers think that they have to mess with a format that was already working?

• Love 5

And the smaller "sprinkle" shower for subsequent babies, the "babymoon"

Did any of you watch the Bravo TV show 'Odd Mom Out'?  They had a Sip & See party to introduce the newborn.  Odd Mom Jill announced that they were sippin' and a seein'.  I think of that now when I see people's baby shower announcements.  

Okay, I worked and lived in the Huntsville area for 6 years, and the bride's Mom from Huntsville did not represent us very well.  I've heard of Mom's out there who compete with their daughters, but that was over-the-top!  I promise that we're not all like that here in the south!  I feel sorry for the daughter though.   Her consultant was doing a great job in trying to bolster her confidence in speaking up for herself.  That's a hard thing to do when you've got a Mom so domineering and opinionated.  I thought the daughter looked beautiful in each dress she tried on.   Shay's bride was stunning too.  I liked that she went with the understated, but elegant dress.  It was perfect for that venue, IMO. 

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:21 PM, AZChristian said:

You'd be amazed how many times I've been bumped into by someone who is so busy texting they're not watching where they're going.  Usually, I just see them coming and stand perfectly still.  I refuse to move out of their way.  They walk right into me.  It's almost a game for me.  I'm mean like that.

I am short-statured and use a manual wheelchair for mobility. When trying to navigate from point "A" to point "B" in a public place (especially outside), I have to constantly be looking down to ensure I don't accidentally roll over an uneven piece of sidewalk/pothole, etc., - which could cause my chair to flip over (my front wheels can get caught on those types of obstacles). But I also have to be looking UP, too - for just the same reason you mentioned. Someone running into me because they weren't paying attention could also fall on top of me, tipping my chair over and/or breaking several of my bones.

11 hours ago, weightyghost said:

Randy's mom is a trip and I love her

That bride's mother was a terrible, horrific person. What a sad excuse for a mother. Robin the consultant was also great

Shay can leave at any time. 

I'm with you on Randy's mom - LOVE her!

The bride's mother with the oversized boobs, multiple plastic surgeries, hair extensions, and too short/too tight dress was horrible. The sad thing is it looked like ALL of her daughters, including the bride, feel the same way about her. Narcissist, much? I'll bet all three girls would vote for mom to stay home for their weddings, if possible. They should all elope.

Shay? I just can't. Every episode there is a situation in which he has a bride for whom he needs help in finding the right dress (or "one piece"). Who knows the stock better than anyone? Randy. Who does he eventually ask? Anyone BUT Randy. He's wasting his customer's valuable (and limited) appointment time because he's made satisfying his own ego a priority over satisfying his customers. For that, he needs a talking to by management.

I know the consultants must meet certain sales goals each month, but do they also receive a commission on each sale? If so, if Randy is involved in the appointment, does he get a cut of the commission, too? That's the ONLY reason, other than ego, I can think of for Shay being so adamant about not ever asking for Randy's help.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Coming out of lurking to say that I agree about the way Shay was dressed!  Also, this show is way too long now.  1/2 hour a week was perfect.  Now, I just get bored.  The English version is nice only in that we get to see some different dresses than what we see in the NYC episodes, but I can already see that they are going to start looking the same after a while. 

Why do show producers think that they have to mess with a format that was already working?

Shannon - absolutely agree w/you that the 1/2 hr. format was perfect - this longer show is so full of unnecessary drama & b.s. "filler" that I fast-forward thru much of it.  I've only watched the UK version once, but that was enough for me...I'm done.

• Love 2

WTH did I watch?  The plastic Barbie doll looking mom trying on a hoochie dress that barely covered her privates at her daughter's appointment?  And neither her own mother or her other daughters could do more than kind of shake their heads at how inappropriate that was?  She must have been the one holding the checkbook because that's the only reason I could think of why that wasn't the point where she was told her presence wasn't needed anymore.  Yeah, I'm remembering why I stopped watching this show.

• Love 11

ChitChat, I'm from Louisiana and have seen articles in the "society section" of the newspaper since I was a child regarding sip and see parties after the baby was born.   It think it is probably a southern custom.

The Huntsville mother was horrid.  I feel sure she ratcheted up her act for her 15 minutes of fame, but what a diva.  Her daughter needs to develop some self assurance and cut those apron strings.  If the mother was paying for the dress, the daughter should lower her expectations of what she wants to wear and find a way to pay for it herself and then no approval from the mother would be necessary.  I loved the "Bye, Felicia" comment by the consultants.     

• Love 2

I'm hoping that Shay is just some a$$hole who's being hired to appear on the show but isn't actually a consultant you might get if you were an actual Kleinfeld shopper. When his bride asked for a "wedding dress with sleeves and low back," his response was something like  "Oh! one with a cowl neck?" That wouldn't have been my first thought if I heard her request, but I wanted to make sure that I was being fair, so I googled that phrase. There are many dresses out there with sleeves and low backs that do not have cowl necks. Later when they were on the phone, talking to her daughter, describing the dress, he said it had "threadwork." That surprised me, because I thought it looked more like appliqués. So I googled threadwork, too. After reading the descriptions and looking at the pictures, I'm pretty sure I was right -- or at least more right than he was. And, for what it's worth, as long as I'm being negative, he doesn't seem to have much sense about what kinds of dresses would be appropriate for a pregnant woman. I said this before, but I'll definitely say it again: If I were shopping at Kleinfeld and got him as a consultant, I'd be wondering why I got someone from the B-team.  And I'd definitely start thinking about taking my business elsewhere. He would not be my vision of what is supposed to be "The Kleinfeld Experience," even given the time and bridal size constraints he was under.  

As for the Huntsville bride, I didn't think any of the dresses she tried on were particularly flattering in the bust. I was attributing that to the dress being a sample size, but I think now it had more to do with the girl herself. The dress she ended up buying had a sheer back, which meant she'd either have to rely on whatever could be sewn into the front of the dress, which had no boning, or she'd need to get a low-back bra for her wedding. Either is fine, but after her mother told the world that the daughter had breast reduction surgery, I thought perhaps it was possible that the young woman might have had some other issues that would make her shy away from tops that might have been more flattering.  The dress she chose was pretty, though, and it amused me that she, her family, and Randy's mother all agreed that the sparkly stripper-fairy negligee her mom tried on would be inappropriate as a mother of the bride dress.  Please tell me her mom was paid to be that obnoxious.

Edited by rur
  • Love 8

I'm no prude, but I wouldn't want a male consultant helping me into the gowns

I wonder if they ask customers if they have a preference for male vs female consultant. I'll be honest, I am a prude when it comes to this. I'm the type of person who uses the private dressing rooms at the gym and would rather walk out of a store than use a communal dressing room. I'd be uncomfortable enough stripping down in front of another woman, but since that's apparently the only way to do it in bridal, since you can't get into the dress by yourself, you have no choice. But a male consultant would be even more of a turnoff. Especially if I wasn't asked or even warned. Aside from the fangirls who want to buy a dress at K's just because it's famous, I think they'd lose business.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 6

Especially if he was someone who was putting his hands on my pregnant belly or talking about my "delicious hips."

It's just kind of creepy.

Edited by rur
  • Love 10
On 3/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, Kohola3 said:

Stripper Fairy number 

I hope the good Lord allows me to inhabit until the inevitable "We're having our pictures retaken because my sweet little __________ (fill in trendy baby name which is now desperately overused) saw our wedding photos and said I looked like a hooker! I need another gown!" episodes start happening.

On 3/15/2017 at 7:56 PM, sleepyjean said:

Let me do it for you.  To paraphrase the legendary Dolly Parton, it obviously costs this girl a lot of money to look that cheap.

say-yes-the-big-day-amanda-20.jpg

We were just talking about her the other night. Isn't her "custom" dress still up for sale on EBay?

I told my husband that we could probably pay off our house with what she spends per year on handbags.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Also, this show is way too long now.  1/2 hour a week was perfect.  Now, I just get bored.  The English version is nice only in that we get to see some different dresses than what we see in the NYC episodes, but I can already see that they are going to start looking the same after a while. 

I agree.  1/2 hour on Friday night, with the occasional back-to-back new episodes was perfect for me.  Now it takes too much of my time.  I don't care about staff conflict, but I can see how that would be of interest to the production team.  I gave up on the British version of the show.  Again, it takes up too much of my time to watch.

As for the last episode, love love love Robin the sales consultant!!!!  She had that Barbie mom's number from the moment they came in!

• Love 5

I'm surprised no one mentioned the grandmother.  Sorry, but her dress, with her cooter practically showing, and makeup, along with the buzz cut wayyyyy too blonde for her age, wasn't as bad as the mom, but it shows the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  The two of them actually looked like a couple of retired madams.   The mom's extensions looked like she got them from a bin at Goodwill, and she just looked really cheap.  I hope they cover the wedding because I'd like to see what mom wears.  

Randy's mom is way too cool.  She's someone I'd like to hang with.  

I refuse to watch any part of Shay.  He's an immature, narcissistic buffoon.  

• Love 18

I'm hoping that Shay will give Randy the chance to prove to him that he won't take over his appointments,  just as he promised.  Maybe Shay will also realize that when it comes to accepting help from others, "two heads are more than one" (quote from the cartoon Two Stupid Dogs!)  I quote that often just to lighten a tense situation.  :)

Randy's Mom was great!  What a nice surprise to arrange a motorcycle ride for her.  I loved the way she looked over at him when they were going down the highway:  him in his car service, and her on a Harley! What a sport!

• Love 3

I just now watched this so was spoiled by my SYTTD friends here. If not for Mrs Fenoli, I would have deleted it immediately, so I am glad I was forewarned.

Regarding Shay, he let Dorothy "take over" his appointment. Not only did she pick out the dresses, but was along with Shay and the bride as she walked out to show her friend. Dorothy should get that commission. Hate Shay's fakeness and attire. There is nothing charming about him and he can't even dress himself. If he were assigned to me, I'd be all "hell no!" to Ronnie Rothstein.

The Barbie mom. "I need to go pee because my tummy is pooching." Reveal that daughter had a breast reduction! Trying on the slutty dress! Grandmother who uses Barbie as a stylist! I listen to a radio station that once a week reads true but unbelievably dysfunctional news stories and they call the segment "count the red flags." Watching this family had me counting so many flags that I couldn't keep up. I lean on my belief that things on this show are ramped up and try not to take it all for fact. But there is no denying that Barbie loves her plastic surgeon.

Randy + Mom = awesome. I don't tweet but I want to see how much love he is getting for that precious lady. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Randy + Mom = awesome.

The only few minutes of the show worth watching.  The rest......not. I am done.  I do NOT like the new format, I cannot stand Shay.  What a jerk.

• Love 5

If SYTTD wants me to believe Barbie Mom snuck off and tried on the stripper dress herself, then they shouldn't have the microphone pack showing on the back of the dress. 

I didn't think I was a prude, but no way a male consultant or sales person is ever coming into a dressing room with me or my daughter to help put on a dress. What are they thinking?

I wouldn't mind the hour show if it wasn't filled with nonsense like March Madness and phony drama. More brides and dresses please. I would love to see each of the brides at their weddings, not just one.

• Love 11

I don't think that one bride understands the meaning of the word elope. Randy's mom is awesome and the guy on the UK show really bugged me when he asked the bride's friend what kind of dress she wanted, went and picked one out for her, suggested that she try it on and then told the bride that it was all the friend's idea. I also thought that the two dresses looked very similar despite the bride and her friend going on about how different they were. They would be better off getting different silhouettes.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I don't think that one bride understands the meaning of the word elope. Randy's mom is awesome and the guy on the UK show really bugged me when he asked the bride's friend what kind of dress she wanted, went and picked one out for her, suggested that she try it on and then told the bride that it was all the friend's idea. I also thought that the two dresses looked very similar despite the bride and her friend going on about how different they were. They would be better off getting different silhouettes.

Yep, it's not an elopement if you have a church full of people and a full blown reception dinner afterwards. I think the bride was calling it that because she thought it made her look justified in not having her kids there.  What they were having was a destination wedding at a resort.  And what they were doing was deliberately excluding family, including the bride's kids.  The bride specifically said that the only guests would be 'friends' who were important to her and the groom and their relationship.  Why would they do that? Seems like a really bad way to start a marriage to me.  I wonder if the kids will actually be living with them.  I sort of hope not, based on their obvious refusal to allow them to attend the wedding. After all, the daughter was 12, not 2.  She is going to remember for the rest of her life that her mom and stepfather didn't want her at their wedding.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

He was not a salesperson. What is Shay's position? I watched when he was brought on and have forgotten. Is he categorized the same as Randy or as a salesperson?

He's a consultant. I know because he states nearly every talking head that he is THE FIRST MALE CONSULTANT EVER so he has to be in a different category than Randy. 

I'm also pretty sure thats a lie because I was watching an older episode and I swear I saw a male consultant during those morning meetings. 

15 hours ago, Love2dance said:

If SYTTD wants me to believe Barbie Mom snuck off and tried on the stripper dress herself, then they shouldn't have the microphone pack showing on the back of the dress. 

I used to feel badly that my female parent was so self-involved that she got her nose out of joint 3 days before our wedding (for reasons that existed only in her imagination), and then she refused to come to the wedding.  I thought that was the worst thing a mother of the bride could do.

And then I saw Barbie Mom.  Wow.  Just wow.

BTW, I tried on one dress for my wedding.  It was a knee-length lace dress with bolero from Lerner Shop.  It was $17.95.  We've been married over 52 years.  I don't think I've spent as much on clothes in those 52 years as some of these brides spend on their wedding dress.  

• Love 12

Barbie Mom is a bad person, I can tell that just from the show. The surgery, the hair, the attitude. DO NOT be in competition with your own daughter. Just No.

That said, daughter was sweet, hopefully she will have a lovely wedding and move away from her mom and just send Christmas cards.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Barbie Mom is a bad person, I can tell that just from the show. The surgery, the hair, the attitude. DO NOT be in competition with your own daughter. Just No.

That said, daughter was sweet, hopefully she will have a lovely wedding and move away from her mom and just send Christmas cards.

She really was atrocious.  I was glad to see the daughter seemed to have Mommy's number and explained in her talking heads that her mother had been in competition with her daughters ever since they reached puberty.  So sad, but I am glad the poor daughter had some insight.  Personally, I wouldn't have allowed her to come with me for the dress shopping, but I suppose the lure of the cameras was too much to overcome.  Mommy clearly expects to be the center of attention at all times.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yep, it's not an elopement if you have a church full of people and a full blown reception dinner afterwards. I think the bride was calling it that because she thought it made her look justified in not having her kids there.  What they were having was a destination wedding at a resort.  And what they were doing was deliberately excluding family, including the bride's kids.  The bride specifically said that the only guests would be 'friends' who were important to her and the groom and their relationship.  Why would they do that? Seems like a really bad way to start a marriage to me.  I wonder if the kids will actually be living with them.  I sort of hope not, based on their obvious refusal to allow them to attend the wedding. After all, the daughter was 12, not 2.  She is going to remember for the rest of her life that her mom and stepfather didn't want her at their wedding.

ITA. I actually felt very bad for her kids, especially the 12 year old girl. I was confused when she said 'elope', & then they showed the venue, & spoke of people being there. Her daughter will figure out the difference eventually. It would be one thing if it were a true elopement, with no one there, but I can't even imagine having an actual wedding & leaving out your kids. And she acted like it was so important to not choose the dress unless her 12year old approved - via FaceTime! She was excluded from everything. Unless they have a bad relationship, that is setting the tone for one with her & her new husband.

Barbie mom was disgusting. She needs to grow up & embrace her own age & stage in life, so she can share in her daughter's life & milestones without destroying whatever might be left of the relationship. I've heard of this phenomenon; it's like some women want a daughter as her dress up doll 'mini me' but when she starts to actually grow up the mom feels her age & becomes resentful. My heart ached for the daughter when she said it was all about her & her mom until she started becoming a woman. It's like she lost her mom at that point & gained a catty mean girl frenemy. If she's not going to change it would be better for her daughter to move away & move on, so she's not a toxic influence on her or any kids she may have.

• Love 8

At least all of the daughters seemed to have the mom's number and could help keep her in check at the wedding.  There is power in numbers.  I totally agree that the best thing the bride could do is move far, far away.

• Love 3