Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Can someone help me out? I am trying to find the episode: young bride, conservative father, illusion neckline with a very low back. I think they had a pretty large budget. Newer-ish episode, maybe within last 3 seasons? Thanks!

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, abbey said:

I caught the marathon on yesterday.  Such entitled brides!  I saw two who just HAD!!! to have a particular dress that was twice their originally stated budget.  Both brides, of course, decided to cut back elsewhere in their bridal budget in order to have the more costly dress.  All of that money (in one case 14,,000.00) for a dress which they would wear once and only for a few hours.  So ridiculous! 

I was watching a few episodes and I'm getting pretty annoyed with some of the brides.  Some of them have parents or siblings that were generous enough to pay for the dress.  I can't believe these brides have the audacity to wheedle their family members to increase the budget by thousands.  If they want a more expensive dress, they should pay the difference.

• Love 8

These Pnina brides this morning - yikes. The one bride standing in front of her father (she is SURE she is his favorite) with one of those see through crap dresses; belly, boobs & underwear on full display, striking a pose - for dad.  He's not impressed even though the designer tries to convince him "it's what the brides want" (to look slutty) "it's the style" (nearly naked) - dad "I'm from the old school" (old fart to them right? but he's paying for the crap dress). It's all cringe worthy.

• Love 3

The tacky twins are on now. Because wedding gowns are all about 'showing it off'.

The husband too "show it off" - the nightgown is for the bedroom dude. Why would a husband want his wife to look ready for sex instead of classy? I find it all disturbing.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 4

I can suspend belief that one person could delude themselves into not realize how tacky and fake they look with that shade of blond and the deep spray tan.  I'm having a harder time that two people would. 

Did they have a fight at some point where the dominant twin forced her sister to alter herself the same way she wouldn't look fake?

• Love 2

I don't think any of these brides would know "classy", "elegant" or "traditional" if it hit them in the face!  The best gown I've ever seen on this show was in Season 10, Episode 14, Emily the rocker by night.  

59e5f9bd63262d05286d77a6067b0abe.jpg

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ali59 said:

I don't think any of these brides would know "classy", "elegant" or "traditional" if it hit them in the face!  The best gown I've ever seen on this show was in Season 10, Episode 14, Emily the rocker by night.  

59e5f9bd63262d05286d77a6067b0abe.jpg

I agree.  I thought this bride looked stunning in this dress. I remember watching this episode and thinking it was absolutely made for her.   

• Love 3

My favorite delusional bride was the "Rubenesque" cop who chose a low-cut, tight dress . . . and claimed that she was going for a Princess Di look, and that Di would have loved to have a dress just like it.  Her name was Deborah.  She and her fiance were both cops; there must have been money somewhere in the family (or maxed out credit cards).  It looks like they spent a LOT for the event.

• Love 1

My favorite delusional bride was the "Rubenesque" cop who chose a low-cut, tight dress . . . and claimed that she was going for a Princess Di look, and that Di would have loved to have a dress just like it.  Her name was Deborah.  She and her fiance were both cops; there must have been money somewhere in the family (or maxed out credit cards).  It looks like they spent a LOT for the event.

I remember that episode.  I cringed every time she said she felt or looked like Princess Diana.  Ya, no you don't and Princess Diana would never have worn what you were wearing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ali59 said:

I remember that episode.  I cringed every time she said she felt or looked like Princess Diana.  Ya, no you don't and Princess Diana would never have worn what you were wearing.

If memory isn't failing me, I believe there was an even weirder part of the story: she also "spoke" to Princess Diana. Lovely, affirming conversations. Di "approved."

• Love 1
On 1/29/2017 at 9:52 AM, wait.what said:

Can someone help me out? I am trying to find the episode: young bride, conservative father, illusion neckline with a very low back. I think they had a pretty large budget. Newer-ish episode, maybe within last 3 seasons? Thanks!

It's on now! Bride Alexa. Mark zunino dress. 8400.00. That was one of my favorite dresses. Emily the night time rocker's  was also one of my favorite dresses. 

I'm watching a rerun from 2014 ("For his Consideration," S11/Ep13) - cute little Hispanic bride-to-be with her mom & dad & a couple others in her entourage.  Her dad goes "shopping" himself & picks out a dress for her & she tries it on.  It's a Danielle Caprese (sp?), lacey but with a plunging (illusion) neckline.  She's surprised her dad would choose this dress for her & tries it on first.  She comes walking out in it & her dad comments that the front (plunging lace) kind of reminds him of a rosary.  Randy says, "It's like a rosary?!?  What church are YOU goin' to?"  Randy then comments that he was raised Catholic & knows what a rosary looks like.   OMG, cracks me up every time (I've seen this one before).  Randy can REALLY be funny! 

• Love 3

I hated the "Princess Di" bride's crumb-catcher ruffle on the bodice. Yuck! And it looked like she could have used a better, more supportive strapless bra. Or not go strapless. I think I saw the tiara at Party Warehouse last Halloween. I can't recall what she paid for that hot mess but it was way too much. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I hated the "Princess Di" bride's crumb-catcher ruffle on the bodice. Yuck! And it looked like she could have used a better, more supportive strapless bra. Or not go strapless. I think I saw the tiara at Party Warehouse last Halloween. I can't recall what she paid for that hot mess but it was way too much. 

Yes to the bra!  It's fantastic that she lost weight but the boobs, yikes, a good foundation is a must.  It did seem like Party City was missing a tiara, lol. 

• Love 2

What Not to Wear taught me the importance of a good supportive bra to hold the girls up. A good bra also makes you look thinner. I had a free professional bra fitting at Nordstroms years ago and discovered I was wearing the wrong size. I splurged on several great bras that I hand wash and hang dry. With proper care, you don't t have to replace them very often.

Back to SYTTD, I hope some new Atlanta episodes are coming soon, too.

• Love 2

I haven't watched in a while but thought I'd give the anniversary special a go for old time's sake. Got about one minute in before the "obnoxious entourage" segment started and I remembered why I stopped watching. Delete!

Nicole looked nice with her longer hair, though.

• Love 2

I watched the anniversary special, and of course I was disappointed.  I don't know why I expected new content (clearly I haven't learned by now!), but it was basically a whole bunch of episodes mashed together.  There was maybe 2 minutes total of "behind the scenes" content, certainly not worth sitting through hours of footage!  What a misleading promo. 

• Love 2

OK, I admit that I watched the entire 3 hour special.  I really need to get a life on Saturday nights.  The Boston Marathon bride was on and I thought I remembered that she got married, had her left leg amputated when it would not heal correctly, and then was divorced within a year.  She then married her high school boyfriend, so I did a little internet research.  Yes, she had that big wedding at Biltmore where she wore the SYTTD dress, then someone clued her into the fact that her new husband had been cheating on her from before they were married, and she divorced him.  She then reconnected with her high school boyfriend and they got engaged and married in a very small, private wedding somewhere in the Virgin Islands I think.  They now have a baby girl.  This woman has made a lot of major life decisions and had a lot happen to her in the space of less than 4 years.  BTW, she wore another formal wedding dress for her beach wedding, but in a totally different style. 

It was fun to see some of the consultants we haven't seen in years, and to see the different hair styles they wore.    

• Love 3

Was watching one yesterday with a bride who proclaimed in her TH how she is 'eccentric' & 'sometimes shocking'.  I was thinking if she's saying that she's probably not either. She wanted a black dress; all were out of budget, so they were trying to find something where they could add a black belt; they were also putting a black veil on her. She said she didn't want something everyone else has worn, but was trying on all the same strapless dresses everyone else does.

I don't know what she ended up with as I couldn't finish watching, but I thought going to a store like that & buying off the rack isn't the way to get something no one else has ever had. She seemed delusional & way too full of her 'eccentric' self, but then so many of these SYTTD brides seem so spoiled & self-absorbed. Usually their sense of 'eccentricity' or 'uniqueness' ends up just being bad taste &/or tacky.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

OK, I admit that I watched the entire 3 hour special.  I really need to get a life on Saturday nights.  The Boston Marathon bride was on and I thought I remembered that she got married, had her left leg amputated when it would not heal correctly, and then was divorced within a year.  She then married her high school boyfriend, so I did a little internet research.  Yes, she had that big wedding at Biltmore where she wore the SYTTD dress, then someone clued her into the fact that her new husband had been cheating on her from before they were married, and she divorced him.  She then reconnected with her high school boyfriend and they got engaged and married in a very small, private wedding somewhere in the Virgin Islands I think.  They now have a baby girl.  This woman has made a lot of major life decisions and had a lot happen to her in the space of less than 4 years.  BTW, she wore another formal wedding dress for her beach wedding, but in a totally different style. 

It was fun to see some of the consultants we haven't seen in years, and to see the different hair styles they wore.    

Holy crap! Damn! I watched last nights episode (another person with no Saturday night life here- but I have three young kids so that's my excuse). What a sad story she had. I remember watching her on her original episode and felt so badly for her. Had no clue about the douche bag fiancé though. What a tool!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

I didn't know there was an anniversary special.  Hopefully there will be a rerun...???

It was 3 (THREE!) hours long and virtually all of it was stuff we'd seen before.  Most of it centered on obnoxious brides, obnoxious family members, obnoxious friends and other unpleasant encounters.  I only made it about halfway and decided it was too depressing.  This was supposed to be a CELEBRATION of the 10 years of SYTD, but it didn't seem very celebratory to me.

• Love 4

Add me to the list of those with nothing better to do on a Saturday night. I mostly watched all of it. What was pleasant was that the audience  wasn't subjected to too much of any one obnoxious bride or bridesmaid. And they showed the part where Joan Rivers said bad things about the stripper-fairy style dress. 

• Love 1

The list of Saturday night slugs grows. Count me in. The anniversary episode was so boring but I watched it. I have seen these brides at least twice before in reruns so the "special" was not what I was expecting. I did enjoy seeing a few updates. Kathy Griffin's former assistant has a baby now and the young lady whose parents died in a car accident and she was severely injured is planning a baby with her hubby. I believe she has limited use of her left arm. I love the feel-good stories on the show. 

• Love 2

I did think it was pretty interesting when Randy said the average cost of a wedding dress in the U.S. was $800. Knowing that, it makes the number of women desperate for the Kleinfeld experience even more flabbergasting, since most of them are probably committing to about three times that before they walk in the door. 

And after seeing a number of the actual weddings, I'm surprised we don't see more mothers saying something like, "Your groom is going to wear a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops. Why should you wear a $10,000 gown?"

Edited by rur
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, laredhead said:

Maybe they could do another version and show the brides who are no longer married after spending all that $$ on a dress.

I'd pay money to see that.  'Say Yes to the Dress and No to the Marriage'.

I did think it was pretty interesting when Randy said the average cost of a wedding dress in the U.S. was $800. Knowing that, it makes the number of women desperate for the Kleinfeld experience even more flabbergasting, since most of them are probably committing to about three times that before they walk in the door. 

On the show itself, they said that Kleinfeld dresses START at $3500; so the typical 'Kleinfeld bride' is paying at least 4 times the average cost, and for what?

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I'd pay money to see that.  'Say Yes to the Dress and No to the Marriage'.

On the show itself, they said that Kleinfeld dresses START at $3500; so the typical 'Kleinfeld bride' is paying at least 4 times the average cost, and for what?

They've had brides with a $2,000 budget.  They all pull long faces and talk about how much that limits their options, but they do have them.  And then there's the blowout sale!!!

• Love 2
On 2/28/2017 at 8:20 AM, AZChristian said:

They've had brides with a $2,000 budget.  They all pull long faces and talk about how much that limits their options

Especially Dianne.  She's always looking for the big budget bride$.  The bigger the budget, the better.

• Love 2

I know for a fact that any bride wanting to wear a Pnina gown in our church would be turned away.  The pastor doesn't even like it when a bride has a strapless gown.  Why would you want to look like someone who charges by the hour on your wedding day?  You've got the guy, so why do you have to basically show your cash and prizes on the wedding day?  

• Love 7

If this preview show is any indication, I don't think I'll be watching this season.  The new guy, Shay, is really grating on me with his attitude of knowing high end, high end, blah, blah blah.  He's also being a huge shit to Randy.  I'm sorry, but a new employee must be respectful to the veterans regardless of how big your ego is.    And for god's sake, if you're going to be a fashion consultant, get a suit that fits. Shay's jacket was two sizes too small.  If SYTTD thinks that bitchy consultants will bring in viewers, think again.  I want to see brides, their gowns and I want to hear their stories. I don't want to see dueling consultants. This show is SYTTD and not Bitchy Boy Consultants.  

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Can someone here explain what the hell I am watching? I have it on while folding clothes and putting them away. My dvr says SYTTD, description says 10 years later and still busier than ever but I have no idea what I am watching. Is this a whole new store?  Is that guy with the long hair Randy and the guy from Atlanta morphed into one guy? What is going on, I am lost! Right before this taped it also taped what appears to be the last episode of last season where the "snatched" consultant was introduced. 

I believe you are watching SYTTD UK. I have no idea where it came from. 

• Love 3

If this preview show is any indication, I don't think I'll be watching this season.  The new guy, Shay, is really grating on me with his attitude of knowing high end, high end, blah, blah blah.  He's also being a huge shit to Randy.  I'm sorry, but a new employee must be respectful to the veterans regardless of how big your ego is.    And for god's sake, if you're going to be a fashion consultant, get a suit that fits. Shay's jacket was two sizes too small.  If SYTTD thinks that bitchy consultants will bring in viewers, think again.  I want to see brides, their gowns and I want to hear their stories. I don't want to see dueling consultants. This show is SYTTD and not Bitchy Boy Consultants.  

I couldn't agree more.  I love Randy, partly because he isn't over-the-top and is respectful to absolutely everyone.  Shay is a jerk who is a legend in his own mind.  If he stays, I won't.

• Love 15

Stewedsquash, I had the same reaction and couldn't figure out if my DVR had gone berserk or the TV listings were wrong.  I actually enjoyed the UK version more than the Kleinfeld version, although if they continue to show that, I'm going to have to turn on the closed captioning feature because I had trouble understanding some of the people.  The bride who wanted to emulate Brittany Spears was the token trashy dress participant on that one.  I can't believe one of the other brides had managed to hide a sleeve of tattoos from her father for years.  Would have been interesting to see how the final version of the dress looked after it was fitted properly and a sleeve lining added.    

• Love 1

Say Yes to the Dress: UK (2016) the second international adaptation that premiered on TLC UK  

The above is copied from the SYTTD wikipedia entry. There doesn't seem to be much about it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was confused. One minute I'm watching the bride who wanted to get married with dolphins reveal what gender her baby is, and then the next thing is a bridal salon in the UK. I was doing other things while watching the first hour where it was at Kleinsfeld, but I'm sure I would have heard and/or seen something that indicated the show jumping to another continent if they had gave some kind of indication that is.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, that was really confusing! I couldn't figure out if the Randy/Monte lookalike worked at the bridal boutique (Confetti and Lace?) or was just a host. Maybe I missed that too. I felt sorry for the UK bride who said her sleeve of tattoos was something she had done when she was young and stupid. She still looked pretty young to me! and the neckline of the dress she choose still showed off pretty large bits of tats on either side of her breastbone. My dad would have been just as pissed about the tats as this one was! I can't imagine how she was able to hide them for so long. After all, it can get hot in England in the summer.

Back to the Kleinfeld's episode, I liked Elle's mom! She was attractive and had a good sense of humor! Looks like Elle's wedding is set for April, so I am going to google to see if she really wears that dress. She looked like she was enjoying her time at Kleinfeld's and being the center of attention. In the background, you could see the whole store watching her. I do see lot of Rob Schneider in her eyes.

The dolphin bride wore on me and I thought the bikini top/detachable skirt was stupid to begin with. On the previews for some upcoming episode, looks like there are a bride and groom who are diving during the nuptials...can't wait to see that! And I still don't like Shay. The Show is trying to manufacture more drama between him and Randy. I bet most of us loyal viewers will always be Team Randy and the "drama" is already old.

Oops, forgot to add: the March Maddress was maddening and distracting. I remember they've had "vote for a dress style" before but I don't remember it being so intrusive to the episode. Take it away!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Yeah, that was really confusing! I couldn't figure out if the Randy/Monte lookalike worked at the bridal boutique (Confetti and Lace?) or was just a host.

I'm also not sure how he's connected to the shop (owner/host/whatever), but what a coup to have THE David Emanuel who designed Princess Diana's wedding gown on the show.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sure if I saw it here anywhere, so I'll mention.  The British guy is the one who designed Lady Diana's wedding dress.  And I found it interesting that - even with his reputation - most of the brides wanted something "no more than 2,000 pounds."  That's about $2,400 at Kleinfelds . . . and staff there would have been moaning and groaning about how that limits the bride's choices.  And there were styles there that were nothing like what we've seen in Kleinfelds.  None of the brides I saw looked like hoochie mamas (although I missed the last half hour).

ETA:  UMAnglea and I posted the same time about David Emanuel - but she had his name; I'm still working on my first cup of coffee.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 4

I'm not impressed with Shay; he has a huge chip on his shoulder and the way they've edited the show it appears that he doesn't need or want help to the point of being offended. Get over it -- you may have worked in "High, high fashion and couture" but that doesn't mean you know the Kleinfeld stock or their customers. I'm here to watch the brides and see the dresses not get involved in consultant drama -- they tried that and it sucks.

Also after nearly a decade of Randy's impeccably tailored suits, ties, and pocket squares, Shay looks completely schlubby. I'm pretty sure that Kleinfeld doesn't have a "Casual Day." Did he learn anything from all that time in "high fashion" about personal style? 

• Love 8