Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Rainbow Unicorn bride was an idiot. You say you're an adult, but you blubber because you don't like a white dress. Totally annoying. I can't stand people who blather on about how unique they are.

• Love 7

An (ostensibly) grown woman planning a wedding like it's a My Little Pony birthday party?  Then whining and blubbering when she doesn't like something?  That's the persona of a five year old,not an adult.  

This show is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for "interesting" stories - and failing.   It's the same old crap:  bride is "picky...fashion forward...unique..." wants something impossible to find at her "price point" (I hate that expression), insert Randy with standard line of "If she doesn't like this one I don't know WHAT we're going to do, find the Perfect Dress, Mom is isn't sold, slap a yard of something on the bride's head, dramatic music, everyone hug.  Rinse and repeat.

From now on I might watch intermittently with the sound off just to see the newer dresses.

• Love 6

Rainbow unicorn bride? I mean, good for her if she and her groom are happy with their wedding, but all I could think of when she was talking about her decorations of forest animal candles, rainbows, and gummy bears was the look on David Tutera's face.

What happened to all those pale blue and blush dresses from a couple of seasons ago? Is that trend over now?

Hyacinth is a popular color in someone's recent collections - maybe Lazaro? I followed Hayley Paige (however you spell her name) long enough to be bored. (Basically all the same dress.) but I think she also has color, like the one unicorn girl tried on.

ETA a rainbow one from Lazaro: https://instagram.com/p/BC0Wiqznlq8/

I stand corrected. Lazaro's color is Wisteria: https://instagram.com/p/BCLFHH3Hlol/

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I was thinking that if trying on a white wedding dress caused Unicorn Fairy Bride to burst into tears, life after her wedding is gonna be a real shitshow. Toughen up girl/woman.

• Love 7

Just watched the epi with the unicorn bride and am happy to see that everyone is on the same page as I am.  I've watched this show from day one, and this bride irked me the most, out of a lot of irk-able brides.  Her groom is in for a treat. 

• Love 1

I really wish we could see snowflake unicorn bride's wedding and reception. I just can't process what all that specialness would look like when thrown all together. The look on her mom's face when they put that crappy tulle cape on her was both funny and pathetic. What would the bridesmaids' dresses be? Forest nymphs? Leprechauns? Santa's elves?

I do wonder if this was a real bride or a "plant."

ETA: unicorn bride was even more irksome when compared to one of today's rerun of the mom who lost her precious 8 yr old son, Lake, to leukemia and Lori and Monte took dresses to her as a surprise. Now that is such a sweet and moving episode. How can I give a flying flip about unicorn bride after seeing this? I know, I know....cray cray is what people want.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
Just what every groom wants on his wedding day...because it is his day too, isn't it???

Grooms are clearly an afterthought with this bunch of whiny, entitled, juvenile brats.  It's a very rare occurrence when someone asks what the groom wants and then it's some "friend" who always says the groom wants a nice T&A show.  As though he's not getting one on the wedding night anyway.

When you bring your mother and your sisters to your bride appointment, you bring your whole life story with you.  The first bride with the unlimited budget, the mom has got to choose her battles.  All of those dress choices were tasteful.  They all worked for her.  But if dad is paying, there are strings (mom) attached.

As for rainbow unicorn bride, I think she was the oldest.  Parents tend to be strictest with the oldest and expect them to be the example and the one to watch over the younger ones.  If she had been allowed to dye her hair as a teen, she would have been over it by now.  Mom's subtext is, "Why can't you be a normal girl?" Daughter's subtext is, "Why can't you stop trying to turn me into the daughter you wanted instead of the one you have?"  When I saw her crying, it wasn't just about the white dress.  It was a lifetime of those conflicts playing out.  But I don't know these people.  It's just speculation.         

• Love 4

I also want to add that the Lazaro dress was perfect.  It even matched her hair.  Assuming she's in her mid 20s, she's been with her fiance for around 10 years.  He knows what he's getting into.  She wasn't allowed to date in high school, yet he was her high school boyfriend.  How well do you think that introduction went?  (Again, I don't know these people. I tend to create backstories of characters when I watch movies.  Maybe mom is sweet and her daughter yells at her in private.  I've seen that in real life too.)

Daughter's subtext is, "Why can't you stop trying to turn me into the daughter you wanted instead of the one you have?"  When I saw her crying, it wasn't just about the white dress.  It was a lifetime of those conflicts playing out.  But I don't know these people.  It's just speculation.

I don't know about them, but that sounds a lot like me.

• Love 1

We never know the back story but the bottom line is that if you are old and (presumably) mature enough to decide to marry, it's time to behave like an adult and stop whining every time someone doesn't agree with you. Grow up, already.  I want to smack some of those big babies. 

What the hell are you going to do when the real challenges of life arrive - illness, death, children?  Good luck with seeing how far the "woe is me" act goes then.

• Love 3

What sets me off is any Gatsby bride.  Did you read the book or at least see the movie?  The Great Gatsby is a story of adultery.  You may as well ask for a Game of Thrones assassination wedding. Nobody needs two wedding dresses, unless you're going for a completely different look like a Chinese or Indian wedding reception. Then again, I'm not paying for it.  

• Love 2

The tall bride (Jaclyn) with the too-short sleeves was on a recent Survivor with her fiance Jonathan. She actually made it to the Final 3. She's a beautiful girl and I really liked her wedding dress.

Okay, I have to ask here - I tuned in to see the bride on a hover board. Why.

some idiotic excuse about "always having to make an entrance." I also caught the rerun of the 3 "VIP Pnina" brides. Pnina said something like "When you spend $ 100,000 for your wedding dress, you want it to be perfect." I've got news for you honey, no matter how much or how little someone spends for their wedding dress, they want it to be perfect! And the other rerun with "Bride on a Budget," Shoshana, the vocal frying actress who supports herself by babysitting. (?) If $ 2,000 is the absolute maximum you can spend on your dress, go to David's Bridal, NOT Kleinfeld's! 

• Love 6

And the other rerun with "Bride on a Budget," Shoshana, the vocal frying actress who supports herself by babysitting. (?) If $ 2,000 is the absolute maximum you can spend on your dress, go to David's Bridal, NOT Kleinfeld's! 

OMG yes. THIS. So freaking tired of those ''brides on a budget'' with unrealistic expectations. They probably hope to get a discount if they whine loud enough or make up some convincing sap story. Hate this kind of people.

And I'm glad someone else noticed her vocal fry! I was so annoyed I had to mute her. But then that's what I do for most SYTTD episodes nowadays. Just looking at the dresses, ha!

• Love 1

Okay, I have to ask here - I tuned in to see the bride on a hover board. Why.

Just sitting down to watch the recording this morning. I already want to punch her in the neck. "I'm just, like, over the top. In general."

I hope the damn thing burst into flames the moment she left the store.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 3

Re the bride to be on the hover board - she left w/o buying a dress.  Bet she already has a dress and just wanted to be on the show.  I didn't like any of the dresses she tried on.  Her finance' is yet another man whose married life is going to be dominated by an attention seeking woman who thinks the world revolves around her.

• Love 1

Hover board bride was endlessly annoying and boring. These insecure, attention hungry people who are self proclaimed 'over the top entrance makers' are needy energy sucks. Her friends are clearly exhausted and irritated by her. Ugh.

• Love 3

OMG yes. THIS. So freaking tired of those ''brides on a budget'' with unrealistic expectations. They probably hope to get a discount if they whine loud enough or make up some convincing sap story. Hate this kind of people.

One has to surmise that Kleinfeld's decided to feature some "budget brides" this season because the emphasis on mindbogglingly expensive gowns is cutting into their business in some manner. Can't sell if they can't get people in the door!

• Love 1

One has to surmise that Kleinfeld's decided to feature some "budget brides" this season because the emphasis on mindbogglingly expensive gowns is cutting into their business in some manner. Can't sell if they can't get people in the door!

Hadn't thought of that. Interesting point.

Ever notice how the Randy and the consultants wrinkle their noses when a bride gives them a budget under $ 2K?

I'm not so sure it's fair to assume that Randy and the consultants are only interested in serving brides with higher budgets. It's been made clear on several episodes Kleinfeld has a very limited selection of gowns under $2000.00, and that's due to the decision made by the owners/buyers to primarily cater to higher-budget brides. It seems to me $5000.00 is the figure most often given by the brides as their price point.

The trouble is, the popularity of the show itself has spawned a whole new demographic of brides who cannot afford Kleinfeld prices but want the "Kleinfeld experience" and the cachet of being able to say "I bought my gown at KLEINFELD" - even though doing so means they'll get fewer choices at their prices point and most likely, a poorer quality of gown for their money (saying here $2000.00 gowns from Kleinfeld probably don't use the same fine fabrics/embellishments/construction techniques as a store at which a $2000.00 budget would be in the middle of their range of gowns).

I don't have a problem with Kleinfeld catering to brides with much higher budgets. I also don't have a problem with brides who can only afford to shop at David's - and I'm sure there are plenty of bridal salons that fall price-wise between the two. But a bride who has a David's budget expecting to get the same plethora of choices at Kleinfeld is a bit delusional, no? And brides who expect that are going to be a headache for Randy and the consultants, and most likely are going to leave unsatisfied.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 3

I couldn't help thinking about the lovely options available to the Detroit pastors' daughter if she'd gone to, say, Chicago (and left at least a couple of hangers-on home. Airfare isn't cheap, people.).

Oh, that's right. Then she wouldn't have been on TV.

I still can't get past the really lovely dresses, more in the budget-limited brides' range, that were shown on the Borrowed/New show (in freaking Southern California). These brides have options, probably nearby. They just want that "experience," even if it ends in a lesser dress. Dumb.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

Hoverboard bride looked good in everything she tried on, but that first one looked suitable if one were to marry Prince (God rest his soul).  Usually the entourage is supposed to support the bride, unless she is making an embarrassing mistake.  She should have bought the last one.  

As far as preacher's daughter, good for her.  It's no small feat to raise a preacher's kid who doesn't go wild and become the prodigal son or daughter.  I have no problem with brides traveling from far away.  Nobody comes to New York only to try on wedding dresses.  Have you ever met an Australian tourist?  They tend to spend a month in the U.S. doing the grand tour from coast to coast.  

Jaclyn looked gorgeous.  I think the secret to pulling off a Pnina see-through dress is sleeves.  Otherwise the top always looks like lingerie.

On April 26, 2016 at 9:31 PM, tivofanatic said:

I think the secret to pulling off a Pnina see-through dress is sleeves.  Otherwise the top always looks like lingerie.

Which reminds me … I was half-watching in a hotel last Friday night and don't know if it was a new or an older show, but I got some smug pleasure from the bride who said she'd caught a reflection of herself in a mirror across the store and suddenly realized the dress DID look like lingerie. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, rur said:

Which reminds me … I was half-watching in a hotel last Friday night and don't know if it was a new or an older show, but I got some smug pleasure from the bride who said she'd caught a reflection of herself in a mirror across the store and suddenly realized the dress DID look like lingerie. 

Yes, that was the newest episode.

• Love 1
On April 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM, rur said:

I just watched it; I wonder if she'll come back with a decision? I didn't really like either one, but the lingerie one was hideous. 

And then, a woman in a Pnina that I actually loved on her. She had long blonde hair, and needed her sleeves lengthened. She looked beautiful.

• Love 1

The wedding planner seemed to have forgotten the bottom half of the dress she wore into the store or else forgot to wear the pants that went with her tunic.  I swear we could see the bottom of her underwear.  Then on one hand she says the pressure is on to pick a dress of which everyone will approve (due to her job) and on the other hand spout off about she doesn't care what anyone else thinks.  Can't have it both ways, girl.

And then there was Do Rag Dad spouting off and threatening our dear Vera.  I was actually sorry that they were able to accommodate the petulant spoiled brat Daddy's girl.  Her new husband better know that he's always going to play second fiddle because the bully dad will be the ruler of that little kingdom.

• Love 6

Bret Michael wanna-be dad was back! I turned it off.

I only watched to see if he took his do-rag off for the wedding.  He did but he didn't bother to get a haircut.  What a slob.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The wedding planner seemed to have forgotten the bottom half of the dress she wore into the store or else forgot to wear the pants that went with her tunic.  I swear we could see the bottom of her underwear.  Then on one hand she says the pressure is on to pick a dress of which everyone will approve (due to her job) and on the other hand spout off about she doesn't care what anyone else thinks.  Can't have it both ways, girl.

And then there was Do Rag Dad spouting off and threatening our dear Vera.  I was actually sorry that they were able to accommodate the petulant spoiled brat Daddy's girl.  Her new husband better know that he's always going to play second fiddle because the bully dad will be the ruler of that little kingdom.

When I saw the finished product. I couldn't  tell the difference. I was thinking they would get rid of Randy before Vera was asked to leave Kleinfelds. I'm thinking Vera has seen many people come and go.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

One has to wonder if Kleinfeld's has ever handed any bride her money back and told her they can't help her. That asshole dad threatened Vera? He (and his spoiled daughter) needed to be shown the door. The fact he had no problem issuing a threat to a woman old enough to be his mother on camera should have been some indicator to the ownership of Kleinfeld's that perhaps they needed to ask TLC to shut off the cameras and tell Do Rag Dad to get the hell out.

The other Daddyzilla needs to take several seats as well. I feel sorry for the spouses.

• Love 2

I was hoping Vera would show "doo rag dad" and his crazy daughter the door.  Gah they were both assholes!!!  I feel sorry for the groom.  I think Vera got the last laugh cause in the footage of the bride at the wedding the dress didnt look any different to me.  

• Love 1

I know Bandana Dad spent good money for a combined dress, but there are ways to talk to people.  What was he going to do, punch Vera in the gut?  Confront her in a dark alley at night and make her disappear?  Give me a break.

Aside from the rudeness, the lesson we can take is that sometimes the sample is worn so much it doesn't look the same as a brand new one anymore.  We've all seen ones with rips and missing sequins.  Some look like an old bleached sock.  It can only get so white after a point.  I do wonder about Corbin Bleu's fiance a few weeks back.  She requested all these changes in the seams.  What if she doesn't like it?    

The other brides' dresses were very nice.  The nightgown dress looked nice, but come on.  It was a long slip.  I wouldn't be surprised if mom and grandma wore something like that under their wedding dresses.

What was he going to do, punch Vera in the gut?  Confront her in a dark alley at night and make her disappear? 

Didn't he make some crack about someone needing an ambulance?  Right there I would have had the lot of them thrown out for making threats.  That kind of stuff should not be taken lightly these days .

• Love 2
On 5/2/2016 at 4:55 PM, piedmontgirl said:

Agreed!

Don't worry I'm sure the groom won't have to deal with her very long. I really wish they would do follow up on couples especially these bratty high price bridges. I bet quite a bit of them don't make their 2nd or 3rd anniversary.

• Love 3

This was a pure clickbait link, but I was browsing through a photo gallery of 42 of the ugliest wedding dresses (You Won't Believe What These Brides Wore on Their Big Day)  and #39 is nostalgically familiar to all of us.

• Love 1

I won't spoil the surprise for others, but I guessed it correctly! I don't have time right now for the whole slideshow, but I imagine there were also several of those Sondra Celli Gypsy bride atrocities. 

• Love 1