Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well, I can understand why she wanted the dress to be a surprise.

Nothing beats the jaw-dropping, appalled shock that will appear on the faces of your guests when you peel off the big tulle skirt at the reception and reveal your wedding-night lingerie. 

But the Pnina bride definitely had her beat. 

(I did find it interesting, though, that when she walked down the aisle, her arms were positioned in a way that kind of concealed the amount of revealed skin in the front.)

Edited by rur
  • Love 4

Well, I can understand why she wanted the dress to be a surprise.

Nothing beats the jaw-dropping, appalled shock that will appear on the faces of your guests when you peel off the big tulle skirt at the reception and reveal your wedding-night lingerie. 

Thank you. This says it all for me. All three brides were attention whores. And the redheaded Lauren who had to mention every other word how sexy she is and how she defines sexy. Um, okay. Whatever. But you are so over-botoxed your upper lip can't move, which distracted me from the sexiness. And Lauren's friend had trout pout...so many injections! Note to self, become a plastic surgeon in my next life.

But that last chick, Blair, and her buy 'em and show 'em boobies? When they started showing the SYTTAddress house search, I couldn't hit the delete button fast enough. Everything about her was fake and I was afraid I would stab my ears if I had to listen to her any longer.

I am sad for this SYTTD franchise. I really enjoy watching regular brides with normal figures and normal faces find a dress perfect for their big day. Not rich bitches who can afford to spend three times my mortgage payment on a dress alone. Sure, throw in one of these plastic SEXY skanks once in a while, because we love our snark, but humor us a little with some genuine ladies. Maybe real people don't want to be on this show any more?

• Love 7

I know that I am supposed to edit my previous post to add this thought but I don't want it to get lost in my prior tirade. I think what pissed me off the most about this and recent episodes (the overly tanned twin who wanted more skin showing and the idiot groom who wanted his bride's boobs literally hanging out to show his buddies) is that I am sick of women thinking that showing as much cleavage as possible and having see-through portions of their wedding dresses is sexy and appealing on their big day!!! I dunno...maybe it IS in their circles. But we women have battled for years for equal treatment, equal pay, and to be respected and then these skanks present themselves as strippers on what is supposed to be a cherished and (to most of us) a sacred day and are so eager to objectify themselves. I totally get wanting to show yourself at your prettiest, most attractive on that day and having your groom think "yum!" But can't we keep a little dignity and not make it a priority that every person at your wedding wants to feast upon your body? I'm really not a prude but I just wish SYTTD wouldn't give these chicks so much airtime. But again, I guess I'm not an attention whore.

• Love 15

I'd love to see a follow-up on some of these brides in twenty years and how their children reacted when seeing the wedding pictures for the first time.

I'd love to think I'm not a prude, either, but maybe I am. I'm tired of Pnina's stripper fairy BS. And I'm even more tired of the women who buy it thinking that they're really making a statement. It's embarrassing and unfortunate that so many now think significant cleavage, see-through corsets, and butt crack is appropriate for one's wedding day.

• Love 5
I'd love to see a follow-up on some of these brides in twenty years and how their children reacted when seeing the wedding pictures for the first time.

None of them will be married in 20 years.  Couples who place that much importance on physical attributes and shallow values cannot have a sound relationship.  Because (drum roll) we ALL GET OLDER.  And our bodies change no matter how much you try to prevent it.  You cannot botox yourself back to being young.

So if all you are wanting in a marriage is a set of boobs you can show to any and all, once they hit your waistline you are going to be out of the skank business.  And it your hubby places all of his importance on your looks, he will be out of there too.

I am not watching anymore. These brides are an embarrassment to intelligent women everywhere.

• Love 2

Kohola, all you say is true, but please don't leave us. There are safety in numbers and we need to stand together against bridal butt crack and cleavage. This show HAS become an embarrassment but we need your snarky input...at least until this ridiculous season is over! Just watch and continue to feel pity for these outrageously shallow and vapid women!

• Love 5

This is season 14. Any alterations bride this season with a flashback to last season's dress selection has already had her dress surprise RUINED!!! How many of this season's brides are getting married this summer, AFTER their episode airs? (Clutch your pearls every time you see this. It's practically a drinking game.). People are giving Randy a hard time on Twitter, and he wasn't even in this episode!

The ONLY reason to do this show is to be on television, and that's not even a guarantee. Networks cancel shows all the time. They decide the premieres and the timeslots. Scripted and unscripted shows that are self contained can be shown in any order. Ali and her entourage came off like saints. She got the look she wanted. The show got permission to air it.

Ali, in the scope of your life, this is not a problem. Nobody spoiled your unreleased novel or gave away your secret recipes. Alicia, the military bride, survived 9/11 at the Pentagon, and PTSD from severe injuries sustained in combat. I'll bet her wedding hasn't happened yet either, but we haven't heard a peep out of her.

• Love 7

This is the reason we see these fake plastic skanks on these shows: they all want to be on Television. They think they are a brand, they need to promote their brand. Attention whores all of them.  We won't see normal people because most normal people don't go around saying how sexy they are and how sexy their fake boobs are and think they are so hot shit they need to share themselves with the world.

Bought em Show Bride bitch just epitomized for me how plastic, fake and stupid our concept of beauty in the 10's has become. We are gonna look back on this decade and any movies being made in the future - kind of like now we laugh at the 80s-- they will glue on 4 feet long extensions that curl at the bottom with an ombre, middle part, too much bad makeup, too tight clothes, fake giant boobs, fake white teeth, died blond hair. Just look at the bachelor cast wannabe whores peddling their "brands" they all look the same. I hope somehow the beauty ideal changes over the next decades and gets back to more like it was in the 30s 40s and 50s. Those women were gorgeous. But maybe Im dreaming. 

• Love 3

I'm not crazy about the revealing dress trend. I think it's super inappropriate if a bride is having a religious ceremony (which, I have to say, I don't think a lot of the more extreme brides are). I also think it's genuinely sad how many of them talk as if nobody would pay any attention to them at their own weddings if they didn't make a spectacle of themselves. Who knows, they didn't become that person in a vacuum. Maybe their loved ones genuinely are that competitive.

Here's a thing, though: We live further from our families, these days, and people commute ridiculous hours, and we leave our kids growing up in this world, not the one we grow up in. So they see what's in People, and on the internet, and on TV, and on red carpets, and some of them grow up thinking brides dress like vegas showgirls* because for the last nine years they've been seeing doting parents pay for five figures worth of tacky, revealing Pnina on TLC. I shut off cable to our house when mine was four and didn't turn it back on til she was close to graduating high school for pretty much exactly that reason, but it's a tough decision to risk making your kid an outsider (we watched a lot of old Hollywood).

So the other thing is, I just feel like we're using a lot of words for promiscuous here, and we don't know that. We know that they grew up seeing that showing their bodies isn't a big deal, and that they're young and trendy and maybe not possessed of magnificent taste, and that their generation's greatest sin is having a ripple of fat. I don't think they have the association of revealing clothes and sex the generation before them did. And, honestly, I think there was an element of women policing each other for stepping out of the roles they were assigned by men back then.

*although ironically enough, lawsuit bride's aesthetic was apparently developed by sneaking into clubs with a fake ID, so she's channeling actual Vegas showgirls.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

Those had to be the skankiest skanks who ever trashed up this show.

I wonder what the consultants really think of those stripper costumes, ooops i mean "bridal gowns"? On the one hand they must love them, because it seems the trashier they are, the more expensive they are. But what do they really think of these plasticized attention whores who think they are appropriate for a BRIDE?????????????

• Love 2

I followed Pnina on Instagram until I couldn't take it anymore. There are worse in her recent collection. Much, much worse. Was wondering when we'd be subjected to some of them on the show.

RealityCowgirl - how is it possible that her recent collection is even worse?  Hard to imagine considering the past few years her dresses show everything on a woman's body except her vajayjay.  Oops -- maybe she's now designed one with a cut-out in lace for THAT?!?  haha!  Anyway - could you post a couple pics on here?  I'd love to see 'em! 

• Love 1

I couldn't bring myself to watch the entire episode but I thought Closely Guarded Surprise Beyoncé Inspired Dress Ali said her budget was $10K. Did she really spend four times that amount?

• Love 1

I like how Pnina calls herself the "star" of SYTTD on her Instagram.

Yeah, a star in her own mind. 

Did they say how much the Beyonce dress was, as well as the tulle skirt?  Because they were two separate items.  Leave it to Diane to get a bride to buy 2 dresses to combine into 1 - the woman knows how to work it $$$$

• Love 3

Yeah, a star in her own mind. 

Did they say how much the Beyonce dress was, as well as the tulle skirt?  Because they were two separate items.  Leave it to Diane to get a bride to buy 2 dresses to combine into 1 - the woman knows how to work it $$$$

I don't recall if they said how much the Beyoncé twit paid for her dress/skirt combo, but then again, I had a couple of strong gin and tonics afterward to try to forget about the entire episode.

• Love 2

I watched the latest episode last night thanks to the miracle of our DVR.

OMG.

Who ARE these people?

First of all, TLC and SYTTD's producers thought this was a great follow-up to the military bride? Really? A sweet and enjoyable episode one week, a group of horrifically spoiled and immature future divorcees the next. The dresses were disgusting. The constant harping on "I want to be a sexxxxxayyyyyyy bride" was teeth-gratingly annoying. And the idiot who sued SYTTD over her dress being shown on-air before the wedding? Who cares?

Awful. I'm sorry I'll never get that hour (oh, and don't get me started on the "Say Yes to the Address" -- I wanted to slap them both) back.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 4

Thank you, SYTTD, for a better episode tonight. The Paralympic snowboarder was so lovely, although I do call bullshit that there were only three weeks to her wedding, so the consultant had to go to big daddy store owner Ronnie Rothstein to sell her a Pnina sample dress. Whatever. She was a knockout and I admire her for all she has accomplished. And she never mentioned her boobies or wanting to show her coochie.

The second bride. She had a spreadsheet of dresses....finally found one. Good for her. She looked pretty. And she never mentioned her boobies or coochie, so thanks.

Bride in alterations. Good for you for doing lots of back and shoulder exercises to look good in your dress. You did look good and you never mentioned your boobies or coochie, so thanks again!

This episode may have been a bit slow for me, but I'll take it any day over the skanks from last week. Boobies and coochie free!

• Love 5

The bride in alterations - maybe it's just me, but I thought her dress didn't fit her in the bust area at all. When she tried it on in the store, I figured that they would make final alterations to make it fit better. But at her wedding, it still looked 'gappy' to me.

Amy Purdy's dress was gorgeous - one of the prettiest we've seen lately.

• Love 2
(edited)

So snowboarder bride knew enough to apply to appear on the show but was shocked, SHOCKED to find out she needs more than three weeks to purchase a dress at Kleinfeld's.

Okay, then...

I suppose she could have been like secret-dress bride from last week and recruited on the spot. Otherwise, not so much.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
(edited)

I did like the dresses on this episode and the fact that neither bride wanted to look like hookers on their wedding day.

If there alterations to that Fitting Room dress, they were poorly done.  The top gapped and it was too tight around the middle (although I’d kill for a waist that small) so it just looked wrong.

I call foul on the whole “3 weeks until the wedding” drama.  Just another excuse to trot out the Woe Is Me, Randy Has Hysterics scene.  Never once has a bride failed to find “the perfect dress" under those circumstances and not once has the salon refused to bend the rules.  Apparently the owner was feeling the need for some screen time.

Props to Amy for choosing a dress that doesn’t hide her prosthetics although I was a little surprised she selected one with that very deep slit.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought they banned Ronnie after season 1 for being an insensitive jerk who harshed the brides' buzz? His only qualification for bridal consulting was being Wayne Rogers' business manager and buying the store with him right before the show started up.

Edited by Julia
I thought they banned Ronnie after season 1 for being an insensitive jerk who harshed the brides' buzz?

He certainly put on the warm and fuzzy persona for this.   Gushed all over the place.

I just remember him disappearing from the show after the episode where he barged in and told a bride that the dress she tried on and wanted to buy because she loved it didn't look good on her and that they'd find her something else. It left a bad taste.

(edited)

Thank you, SYTTD, for a better episode tonight. The Paralympic snowboarder was so lovely, although I do call bullshit that there were only three weeks to her wedding, so the consultant had to go to big daddy store owner Ronnie Rothstein to sell her a Pnina sample dress. Whatever. She was a knockout and I admire her for all she has accomplished. And she never mentioned her boobies or wanting to show her coochie.

Amy does seem to be a nice gal, although she's a bit of a fame seeker.  She also appeared on The Amazing Race with her fiancé who, sadly, behaved like a horse's backside and treated her very poorly.  I hope he's less of a douche in real life.  I think the only reason she agreed to the '3 weeks to the wedding' storyline was because she was promised a free Pnina.  I wouldn't be surprised in the least if she picked out the dress prior to filming and the rest was filmed as scripted.  Somehow, I doubt these semi-famous brides are appearing on the show gratis.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the 'nude' linings in some of these gowns look tacky.  Among other things, they match no one's actual skin tone.  Who wants a dress that looks to be lined with old pantyhose?  It's better than the unlined gowns that show off the good china, but best of all would be a lining that doesn't look like Barbie got skinned to make it.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7

I like the spreadsheet bride's dress. Why doesn't every bride do this? All your dresses are pre-approved. No strapless choices? It's the first sign of the apocalypse! Brides who do their homework get the dress they want, literally. I think we see so many dresses repeated because they're the ones hanging out on the racks.

The Kleinfeld website lets you filter down to your favorite dresses that meet all your requirements. Even a bride who has no idea what she wants can rule out what she dislikes on sight.

Amy Purdy also looked great. She walks so smoothly, it's amazing. I liked her Pnina. It's nude under white lace, but not trying to be naked. As far as real or fake drama, who knows? I'm sure there are some brides who just do the show to play dress up on TV.

The alterations bride has a great back. That's all I remember. Good for her for lifting those weights. When you think about it, her bare back is more revealing than Blair's boobalicious dress last week. That dress still looked under construction.

The only celebrities I've enjoyed seeing on this show were Kathy Griffin (and her former assistant Tiffany, otherwise known as the bride) and the two NFL-playing brothers who were buying their little sister's gown. I realize there are people who don't like Kathy Griffin; I think she's hilarious. And she is still very close to her former assistant, so pranking Tiffany during bridal gown shopping would be something that might happen in real life.

To say that I am tired of the manufactured story lines like Amy Purdy's is an understatement. Considering the fact that the dress was a Pnina, getting another sample made would be as easy as walking back to Kleinfeld's workroom and ordering it by style number. And any bride who's been engaged (allegedly) for the past 14 years would not be shopping for a gown three weeks before her wedding. The producers of SYTTD must think those who watch it are stone-cold stupid. It's hard to imagine how they maneuvered their way out of featuring the magic that is PNINA on-air one more time, too.

The bride with the backless dress? She was gorgeous in it. And backless is a hell of a lot sexier than a bodice cut to one's belly button or side boob.

• Love 2

I kept expecting Pnina to appear and wave her magic wand and make everything OK, which is what has happened in the past.  

As a side note, I noticed in our Sunday newspaper that out of the 4 pictures of brides featured in the "society section", 3 of them were wearing dresses with some type of sleeve.  Hmmmm, could the day of the strapless dress be coming to an end? 

As a side note, I noticed in our Sunday newspaper that out of the 4 pictures of brides featured in the "society section", 3 of them were wearing dresses with some type of sleeve.  Hmmmm, could the day of the strapless dress be coming to an end? 

No, it's the dress of the decade.  These brides will have daughters that say, "Mom, why did you want to look like a mermaid on your wedding day?"  If this show had been around in the 80s, we'd all be saying, "Let me guess.  Puffy sleeves and lace up to your neck, right?"    

Those long sleeve brides were going for the princess look.  Accurately.  Real princesses wear sleeves.  Tell a friend.

• Love 2

When I was watching the show (not very carefully, I admit) I assumed that all of the revealing dresses were Pninas. Not so. Beyonce' bride's dress was a Zuhair Murad. I looked up the ZM dresses at kleinfeld and holy cow, Pnina has been overthrown in a bloodless coup. The new king (or maybe queen) of stripper dresses has to be Zuhair Murad. At least Pnina sort of has the fairy thing going on and it's mostly sheer bodices. These are just nekkid all over.

Zuhair-Murad-17875-raw.jpg?width=500Zuhair-Murad-17551-raw.jpg?width=500

Zuhair-Murad-17549-raw.jpg?width=500Zuhair-Murad-16579-raw.png?width=500

Newspapers still have society bridal pics???? I haven't seen these for years.
Newspapers still have society bridal pics???? I haven't seen these for years.

Our small town of 3000 still has them. As with Laredhead, they don't have the long descriptions of the dress anymore but they talk about the bridal party and family, the reception, schooling and jobs, and where they will live.  Gotta fill those newspaper pages!

laredhead, on 06 Apr 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Spunkygal, it's a southern city :).  They have dropped the extreme detailed descriptions of the bridal gowns that used to accompany the write ups.

They've probably dropped the dress descriptions because brides can't describe the dresses they've bought. They don't know the type of fabric, type of lace, correct names for the different silhouettes, necklines (except 'sweetheart'), embellishments, or the difference between "straps" and  "sleeves"....

"The bride wore a skintight dress with a sweetheart neckline. It was made of see-through fabric covered with (somewhat) strategically placed 'bling.' The dress exposed her butt crack, and her boobs were hanging out. It definitely had the 'wow factor'!" 

THAT wouldn't fly in most newspapers. 

• Love 9
(edited)

"The bride wore a skintight dress with a sweetheart neckline.

Don't you mean ""The bride wore a unique and timeless skintight dress with a sweetheart neckline." ?

That's what I always hear them request  just before they ask for Pnina . . .  :-p

Edited by rur
  • Love 3

TwirlyGirly, I'm laughing so hard at your comments.  I think the cost of publication per line has increased a lot over the years, and that is probably the reason the articles are shorter.  When I was married back in the age of the dinosaurs, my dress was described in detail with a description furnished by the store where it was purchased.  Articles about weddings in 1970 in this southern city also detailed the attendants dresses and names, as well as my all time favorite - Mrs. so-and-so poured punch.  Yes, pouring punch made many a wedding write up.

• Love 1

TwirlyGirly, I'm laughing so hard at your comments.  I think the cost of publication per line has increased a lot over the years, and that is probably the reason the articles are shorter.  When I was married back in the age of the dinosaurs, my dress was described in detail with a description furnished by the store where it was purchased.  Articles about weddings in 1970 in this southern city also detailed the attendants dresses and names, as well as my all time favorite - Mrs. so-and-so poured punch.  Yes, pouring punch made many a wedding write up.

And don't forget that Mr. and Mrs. So-and-so will honeymoon in Niagara (or wherever). Was the punch lime sherbet and ginger ale?

• Love 1

Tonight's episode featured a woman who came in for her final fitting, and lo and behold she did not want her "assets' to hang out on top.  I thought the dress was pretty and the top looked very nice.  It was properly fitted and gave her the support she needed while still being very attractive.  Great example of not having to show the world a foot of cleavage and overflowing cups on a dress.  20 years from now she won't be embarrassed showing those pictures to her children. 

• Love 2

I was surprised to see the bride in tonight's episode (who couldn't decide on a dress without Tina's blessing--erk, whatever) strictly trying on strapless dresses. So glad they seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. My daughter-in-law, niece, and two friends of the family all chose dresses in the past year that featured straps/sleeves. My daughter is looking at dresses right now and flat out won't glance at any that are strapless. Thank goodness for choices--finally!

• Love 4

Unicorn fantasy bride tonight - was that a wig she was wearing?  If it was her hair, it was a mess.  Did she say how old she is?  She was acting like a 5 year old although she professed to be an adult and wanted to make her own decisions.  Wonder if her mother was contributing to the purchase of the dress?

• Love 1

Rainbow unicorn bride? I mean, good for her if she and her groom are happy with their wedding, but all I could think of when she was talking about her decorations of forest animal candles, rainbows, and gummy bears was the look on David Tutera's face.

What happened to all those pale blue and blush dresses from a couple of seasons ago? Is that trend over now?