Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

In real life, Kleinfeld appointments are 90 minutes.  When you figure in time spent discussing preferences, price and pulling dresses, then the amount of time it takes to get the bride into a dress (and often having to clip or otherwise adjust the sample to fit it on the non-sample size customer), then go out onto the floor to show the family and friends; it is unlikely that anyone tries on more than 3 or 4 dresses at an appointment.  Considering the big price on the dresses, I would find it hard to believe that anyone buys on their first visit.

Kleinfeld has a Canadian 'store' at the Toronto Bay store. I've looked at the website to see what's there.

I would hope that a lot of brides have gone through bridal magazines, websites, and tried on some gowns at some local stores first. I'd oooh and aaah at the selection, but I'd also be mindful of whether I can walk in X gown, sit in X gown, and use the ladies' room in X gown without having my bridesmaids help me out. Unless I've done my research and know exactly what I am looking for, I dunno if I'd put down a deposit on an expensive gown when I have only tried three. I certainly wouldn't want to be pressured into saying 'yes' to a dress within an hour.

I watched the longer 'big day' episode today. It was all right. The venue was gorgeous.  Not a huge Bridezilla this week. Fireworks are very nice, but also expensive and it's lucky that the bride's family paid for them. I don't watch reality shows much, so I had no idea who the bride's reality show brother was.

(edited)

Leaving aside that a lot of women - certainly me - have trouble translating what a dress looks like on the model to what it would look like on us, who doesn't do their homework when they're spending up to the price of an SUV or the downpayment on a home on one purchase?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I don't know if any bridal stores do this, but the show Something Borrowed, Something New shows viewers a single shot of the brides wearing the (of course) three dresses. The side-by-side comparison is hugely helpful and I imagine it would be a boon to brides who are on the fence. Not at all difficult to do these days with a smart phone and color printer, either. It also give a good preview of what the bride will look like in the wedding photographs, which is slightly different than what she looks like in person.

• Love 1

On the show, sometimes brides reject multiple dresses in the dressing room.  On Twitter, consultant Breanna said she had a bride try on like 10 or 12 wedding dresses, and then she bought the first one she tried on.  This was a non-TV bride.  The Kleinfeld website has most of their dresses on there.   The spreadsheet bride from several episodes back ranked her dresses, and then found exactly what she wanted.  It's so much easier than it was pre-internet when you really did need those bridal magazines.  

Trying on 10-12 dresses sounds a bit more realistic than visiting NYC for three days, going for your 90 minute appointment at Kleinfeld and hoping for the perfect dress. Sometimes it is the first dress that is the best choice, and others it's somewhere down the middle. Fit, fabric (does it wrinkle easily, does it itch), cost of alterations would probably be a decision-maker.

8 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Trying on 10-12 dresses sounds a bit more realistic than visiting NYC for three days, going for your 90 minute appointment at Kleinfeld and hoping for the perfect dress. Sometimes it is the first dress that is the best choice, and others it's somewhere down the middle. Fit, fabric (does it wrinkle easily, does it itch), cost of alterations would probably be a decision-maker.

I either heard on the show or read in one of the posts here alterations start at $700.00 or so. I'd like to know what alterations are included in that base alterations fee, because if that only includes hemming and a nip and a tuck here and there, that's a heck of a lot of money......

On a completely different topic, there have been many times on SYTTD where the bride has dismissed a particular dress they'd otherwise loved because the dress seemed to emphasize some minor figure flaws. But it was clear to me those flaws would be less obvious/eliminated completely if the bride was wearing the right undergarments (such as Spanx) and/or had better posture. I've always wondered why the consultants never explain to the bride the entire look of the dress would change/be more flattering with proper undergarments/posture. (The posture thing is a pet peeve of mine; so many of the brides are hunched over and walk like they're slogging through the mud in combat boots, and it really ruins the look of every dress they try).

• Love 5

Also: the store you're in specializes in strapless. If you're over a B cup and you didn't wear a strapless bra, you have no idea what your dress is going to look like. 

• Love 3

But it was clear to me those flaws would be less obvious/eliminated completely if the bride was wearing the right undergarments (such as Spanx) and/or had better posture

As well as the correct size.  They fuss and fume about "emphasizing my hips, butt, etc." when it's just because they are wearing a dress 4 sizes too small.  Clipping on a piece of cloth to expand a top that won't close really doesn't give a realistic overall look...

• Love 3

And wearing shoes that are killing your feet affects your posture. But, hey, they're so cute! Squee!

I am a well endowed lady myself..a size 8 from the boobs down but my girls are bodacious. Best thing I ever did was go to Nordstroms for a professional bra fitting. What an eye opening experience at what a difference the right cup coverage makes. I no longer look like a cow. And I would never wear strapless. I can't imagine a strapless bra would give me the support I need. What Not to Wear used to preach about the right bra fitting. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

And wearing shoes that are killing your feet affects your posture. But, hey, they're so cute! Squee!

I am a well endowed lady myself..a size 8 from the boobs down but my girls are bodacious. Best thing I ever did was go to Nordstroms for a professional bra fitting. What an eye opening experience at what a difference the right cup coverage makes. I no longer look like a cow. And I would never wear strapless. I can't imagine a strapless bra would give me the support I need. What Not to Wear used to preach about the right bra fitting. 

The bra I wore under my wedding dress was a marvel of modern cantilevering, but I don't think I'd wear it on any day where I had to do more than lift a champagne glass.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I either heard on the show or read in one of the posts here alterations start at $700.00 or so. I'd like to know what alterations are included in that base alterations fee, because if that only includes hemming and a nip and a tuck here and there, that's a heck of a lot of money......

On a completely different topic, there have been many times on SYTTD where the bride has dismissed a particular dress they'd otherwise loved because the dress seemed to emphasize some minor figure flaws. But it was clear to me those flaws would be less obvious/eliminated completely if the bride was wearing the right undergarments (such as Spanx) and/or had better posture. I've always wondered why the consultants never explain to the bride the entire look of the dress would change/be more flattering with proper undergarments/posture. (The posture thing is a pet peeve of mine; so many of the brides are hunched over and walk like they're slogging through the mud in combat boots, and it really ruins the look of every dress they try).

The upscale Kleinfeld probably pays its alterationists a decent salary. Hemming alone might be in the $300 range.  There would be two or three fittings until the dress is released to the customer. A nip and tuck here and there would cover the rest of the $700. Adjusting beading would be a small fortune. The brides also have to factor in the cost of dry cleaning and pressing the gown after the wedding, plus preserving it in a box. Or until it's sold on eBay a few months later.

I think I read somewhere a while back that some girl was looking for a prom dress and the salesperson suggested she use a shaping garment/Spanx to make it fit properly. The girl's mother was not impressed that the sales associate would recommend 'shapewear' for her daughter and I think the associate had to apologize for insulting the daughter (and mother). Realistically, some garments do require certain shapewear/slips/tummy tamers, etc.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2016 at 5:05 AM, Kohola3 said:

As well as the correct size.  They fuss and fume about "emphasizing my hips, butt, etc." when it's just because they are wearing a dress 4 sizes too small.  Clipping on a piece of cloth to expand a top that won't close really doesn't give a realistic overall look...

This is why I don't think I could ever buy a wedding dress this way. You typically try on a dress that's the wrong size, wrong color, and has been beat up on the floor, and then you don't see it again until 8 months later. Imagination and even the best tailoring only go so far, it's impossible to know if the dress will be as flattering as you hope in the end. It's a multi-thousand-dollar leap of faith! Off-the-rack may be lesser dresses, but at least you can try it on and walk out the door with it.

TBH I have no idea why I tune into this show. I watch very little reality tv, don't harbor wedding fantasies, and do not even wish to get married! SMH.

• Love 3

I get frustrated with this show because they seem to trot out the same dresses for each bride, I am not sure why the entourage makes comments about how the dress really  the fit the bride even though the entire back is held together with clips because it is a sample not the correct size and when the bride tells the consultant her "price point", (aka stupidest phrase ever) nobody ever takes in consideration the cost of alterations or sales tax.  And yet, I cannot look away.

I understand that Kleinfeld's do not want you to photograph the dresses you try on but once you have committed and left a down payment aren't you allowed to take a photo...that way when you show up to your first fitting and you see a bow or a flower or did you did not remember of or you forgot it was an all lace dress and you hate lace you can compare your photo. And yet, I cannot look away.

Does anybody know if Randy is there when the camera's are not rolling?

Maybe SYTHD can do a Mother of the Bride type of show where the daughters get to take pot shots at the mother's, seems like so many parents say some really mean things to the brides to be.  Mean spirited, I know.

• Love 1

I watch the show off-and-on. Some of the appeal is watching the family dysfunction, the Bridezillas whose focus is on the big fairytale day. The dress, the shoes, being a celebrity for a day. Feeding in to the billion or so dollar bridal industry. And then having to actually get past the dress and the buzz of the wedding day and learning what marriage is really about.

The brides-to-be should give a price point that includes most alterations. I'd hate to spend $6000 on a dress and then find out I'm spending an extra $800-1000 or so on alterations, taxes, etc. And have it shipped to where I live. Plus finding the time and possibly the expense of visiting Kleinfeld for a few fittings when the dress has arrived.

Some of the mothers (well, many of them) probably did not have a huge wedding day that cost the down payment for a house. Many may have a chip on the shoulder, or are reliving (albeit vicariously) a day  that happened 30 years ago.

I would like a photo or pamphlet of the gown that I am spending X thousands of dollars on. Maybe I need to find shoes or a small evening type bag to go with the dress or take a picture to my hairstylist. I'm paying for it so I should get a picture of it.

I may be giving both brides and Kleinfeld's too much credit, but I assume there is a bigger off-screen budget that does include tax and alterations. Or there is at least some discussion of those realities so brides aren't surprised. Otherwise, there would be a lot of cold feet at the contract stage, and that would hurt sales. (On a 4000 dress, add 400 for sales tax and 800 for alterations... that's 30% more! Enough to make people pause or walk.) For onscreen story purposes, it makes sense to state the budget as the dress price tag -- it would clutter up the dialogue to have to go through the extras every time.

It would be nice once in a while for K's to be more transparent, but I suppose they are selling fantasy and not reality.

On 6/15/2016 at 11:27 PM, Frozendiva said:

The upscale Kleinfeld probably pays its alterationists a decent salary.

I hope so!  I love those women.  They seem incredibly talented, try hard to make the brides happy but give no fucks about telling a bride NOT POSSIBLE when she wants something ridiculous.

• Love 2

The episode tonight that included catching up with Ginger Zee and her husband. Her husband would drive me nuts. He is too goofy and seemed to be kind of an attention hog. With both of them, it was clearly a case of "we are the first people to ever get pregnant and have a baby", but I guess that is to be expected.

I didn't expect to like either her or her husband but ended up finding them both charming and delightful. In fact I thought everyone came off well and was glad they did an update show. A couple things surprised me: 1) That they went in so hard for the bombing survivor's ex; I mean, for a lighthearted show, they pulled no punches about what an ass he apparently turned out to be. The ominous music, normally reserved for a bride 'confused' by her entourage, here had me wondering if the guy was abusive or something. And 2) I'm glad to see that 'Chic' appears to have mellowed a bit. Her 'outrageousness' always seemed to have a desperate, manic edge, but marriage and motherhood seem to suit her. 

Anyway, I was super, super excited for this special, so I guess my biggest takeaway is I'm way too into this show. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Pachengala said:

A couple things surprised me: 1) That they went in so hard for the bombing survivor's ex; I mean, for a lighthearted show, they pulled no punches about what an ass he apparently turned out to be. The ominous music, normally reserved for a bride 'confused' by her entourage, here had me wondering if the guy was abusive or something.

From what I've read (so take that with a grain of salt), their marriage was absolutely horrible. So, I'm not particularly surprised they went after him. Cheating bastard.

The episode tonight that included catching up with Ginger Zee and her husband. Her husband would drive me nuts.

Gadzooks, they were certainly an, um, perky pair weren't they.  I didn't have a problem with that but having him laugh at (and film) a hormonal breakdown would have earned him a frying pan upside the head in my kitchen.

• Love 1

They're both on-air tv personalities. I figured their comfort around cameras made them more forthcoming, but, who knows -- maybe they're also going to add clips from this from their demo reels. 

I only watched the half-hour episode.

One of the brides wanted two dresses for $5000. Good luck. She'd be better off finding a ceremony gown and maybe heading to a regular store to find a more cocktail type dress (even J. Crew, which has a good bridal section). I did notice that one of the sales associates wanted to be respectful of the bride to be's budget. I don't really like pushy salespeople - yeah, you need to meet your target this week but I only have X amount of money to spend this month, on say, makeup.

Randy went out of his way to buy some yellow roses to please another potential customer.

It must be exhausting to be the bride who has to deal with her entourage not liking anything she tries on. Grow a spine and choose your own dress. Or get your revenge when your friends get married and criticize them at every gown.

One of the brides wanted two dresses for $5000.

Oh for pete's sake. Why not go to David's Bridal and get five dresses. One to walk down the aisle, one for the ceremony, one for the party, one for leaving the party, one for photos. It all seems so freaking unnecessary.

All of these brides want so many dresses because they want to wow everyone and make sure they're the center of attention. But doesn't being the bride guarantee you'll be the center of attention? I mean, how much attention do you need? I guarantee the guests would be more impressed if you sink that money into adult beverages and better food.

I just saw a preview for the season finale. So now they're bringing another man in to create some manufactured rivalry with Randi? Man, this show is so stale. And the more and more contrived situations they come up with to get people to watch, the more ridiculous the show is. All of the customers are straight up caricatures.

• Love 5

Man, this show is so stale.

Absolutely.  We've seen every contrived situation there can possible by.  We've seen every trashy Pnina.  We've seen every bridezilla and snotty entourage. Other than a couple of nice Hayley Paige dresses, they all look the same.  And if I hear "price point"," sweetheart neckline", and "mermaid" one more time.....

• Love 2
19 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

All of these brides want so many dresses because they want to wow everyone and make sure they're the center of attention. But doesn't being the bride guarantee you'll be the center of attention? I mean, how much attention do you need? I guarantee the guests would be more impressed if you sink that money into adult beverages and better food.

This. I love weddings, and have been to 17-18 million of them, and I can literally only remember two of the dresses. TWO. One because it was my sister's wedding and I helped her pick out the dress and the other because it was a *particularly* unflattering strapless. Takeaway? Dresses only stand out to me, your typical happy wedding-goer, if they're on my sister or if they're really bad. No one notices your dress! No one notices if you change for the reception! Save the many thousands for your mortgage or better yet, for higher-quality booze. There's your Wow Factor. 

• Love 13

I am actually glad they they showed some honest outcomes.  Statistically you know all of these marriages don't work out.  And I bet dollsrs to donuts that those bridezillas have a much higher divorce rate.

Could have done without Chick or whatever her name is.  Someone that has to proclaim every 3 minutes how "unusual" and "zany" they are just means they are obnoxious.

• Love 4

Many people just remember that the bride wore a nice dress.  Most wouldn't recognize a Pnina, or Herrera, or other designer. That's about it. Some people care about the dinner and dance, but some would just prefer a smaller party.  Less food, b etter food, and less hassle. With drinking and driving laws, you do have to consider alcohol and your responsibility if your guests drink and drive.

It's nice to have lovely covered chairs and fancy floral arrangements. I hope that some of the flowers do go to local nursing homes and hospitals to cheer up folks living in them. Probably half the expense could be taken out from a lot of weddings. I know I price out catering and give a gift to cover my meal expense. I am usually invited alone, so I don't go to many weddings. If I do, I leave before the dance. A lot lately seems to be one of self-absorption with the white carpet and being a 'celebrity' for a day. Maybe more thought should be put to the actual day-to-day marriage, once the gifts are opened.

• Love 5

Hey guys. Help me out.

Do you remember an episode where a young woman was shopping with her mom, who had been serving in the military all the time she was growing up and wanted to get her something special to make up for not being there?

She was marrying a muslim, so she needed a modest dress for the ceremony, and she ended up having the dress she found altered into an insanely chic flapper-looking style with a juliet cap. It was over budget, but mom said she'd eat peanut butter for a while to pay for it.

?

On June 16, 2016 at 11:53 AM, snarktini said:

TBH I have no idea why I tune into this show. I watch very little reality tv, don't harbor wedding fantasies, and do not even wish to get married! SMH.

I watch a ton of tv period, but I always watched the wedding shows for the before and after and OTTness of it all and then I got engaged (15 years in--we have a house and dogs, not planning kids, you get comfy and busy), after drinking many mimosas, my friend and I went to David's Bridal for fun.  They try to class up the process by making you wait for a consultant and then tackily ringing that damned bell if you say "yes."  It was miserable for me.  Everyone was nice and helpful, but I hated all the dresses-heavy, uncomfortable, hot (could've been the booze), but I realized that I'm not that girl and I just couldn't with the money even if Vera was deeply discounted. Haven't watched the shows really since but tuned in today to see the manufactured drama with Randy and the new male consultant.  I think I'm done with the show.  I do miss Four Weddings, though.

And I'm probably going to be at the court house in my flowered Lands End dress with pockets if I can finally figure out to hyphenate or not...maybe another 15 years.

• Love 3

The new guy can go the hell away. I would never accept anyone as a consultant when he is wearing such an ill fitting suit that he can only button the top button making him look pregnant.

• Love 6

I did not care for the new guy either -- but wondered how much was manufactured drama.  I would not want a guy in the fitting room helping me into the gowns.

Remember when Randy was introduced, and all the consultants were like "why do we need HIM?"

I miss Four Weddings, too -- is it coming back?

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe I'm a prude but consultants see these brides nearly naked and help them dress. I don't think I'd want a man doing that for me.

Of course I think he's probably not a real consultant. I think they brought him in just for the show and told him to act like an ass.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 3
(edited)

God, I hope it's all manufactured. Otherwise they're both idiots. I'm sure both have healthy egos and would prefer to be the only peacock. But if the new guy is as defensive and full of himself as he seems, then I have a hard time believing he'd make a good consultant. And I feel like Randy, IRL, has more emotional intelligence than he showed here. He was condescending and intrusive. When he asked for advice and the ladies said to let new guy come to him for help when he's ready, I said DUH. And then he tried to help again anyway! (Tho wasn't Randy always a bit of a buttinsky? It comes from a place of genuine passion, but he does insert himself sometimes.) 

ETA: Something I really hated about new guy was the idea that women in “high fashion” expect to be dressed/styled by men. As though men are the only ones who know anything. And anyone who isn’t comfortable with it is a rube.

ETA2: He reminded me of Claudia. Defensive, refuses help, insists he's an expert, wants to work with high-end brides.

Edited by snarktini
seriously, I always have more to say
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, snarktini said:

ETA: Something I really hated about new guy was the idea that women in “high fashion” expect to be dressed/styled by men. As though men are the only ones who know anything. And anyone who isn’t comfortable with it is a rube.

I agree. I also read that to mean that anyone who would be bothered about being naked in front of a man who they don't know isn't chic or sophisticated so they are beneath him.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, snarktini said:

ETA2: He reminded me of Claudia. Defensive, refuses help, insists he's an expert, wants to work with high-end brides.

I had the same thought - thank you for remembering her name! Claudia was the worst.

Shay is more than a little full of himself. He was the top bridal seller for Oscar de la Renta, but so what? Oscar de la Renta sells itself. I don't see him working well with the budget bride who wants to stay under $2500. His ability to dress a woman in a flattering figure seems to be lacking so far - that dress he chose for the girl who received the surprise proposal was incredibly unflattering on her. Then again, maybe he realized he was never going to make a commission off her on that particular day.

Randy didn't come off great in these two episodes either. He seemed a bit jealous or threatened by having another male on the floor. The meeting with the co-owner made it seem as though this was a decision made behind Randy's back and that he was miffed not to be included in the decision. The way Randy was acting made me think that the drama is at least in part manufactured; whereas I think Shay may genuinely act the way he was portrayed, it seemed like Randy was forcing it a bit to create a storyline. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Thumper said:

I missed the intro to the girl whose bf proposed to her ... while she was trying on wedding dresses!!!  Huh??  Was it just about not having the ring yet?

The intro was they were on vacation in NY, and he wanted to surprise her with a proposal at Kleinfeld's. So they "happened" to be walking by Kleinfelds, and he talked her into going in and trying on a few dresses. He thought he was 100% unique. Any guesses on how many times this has happened?

There was one a couple of years ago where the bride truly was trying on dresses in advance of the ring. So I guess this was a little different. Still lame.

• Love 2

Maybe it is a generational thing, but I just usually don't like it when a random, sparkly belt is put on a dress. I think it often ruins the line of the dress. Tonight I thought it was especially awful on the gold dress with the corset back. Completely took away the line of the lovely corset and cut the dress in half. 

• Love 4

To be honest, I didn't even know they were showing new episodes until I saw the promos for the "season finale."  I just have the show on when I need something innocuous in  the background.  Agree that the new guy vs Randy was manufactured drama.  As are the goofy meetings when they talk about girls and cowboy boots. I don't think this show needs a storyline.  Just show the dresses and the brides. I do like seeing how different styles can be surprisingly beautiful on certain brides.  And thank you for sleeves/straps/necklines.  Brings in a little variety from the years of strapless/sweetheart dresses.

Ready for Shay to fade into the background, or be gone.  Better yet, if they are going for storylines, how about one where $2000 brides comes in and he only pulls $5000 dresses and loses sales. And I agree, the dress he put the surprise proposal girl in was not very flattering. Goofy and over done, but I thought it was still sweet. Her reaction when the family popped out was great.

1 hour ago, silversage said:

If Shay was top seller at the other store then why isn't he there now? Did they even say why?

If he really has been hired by Kleinfeld, which I'm not convinced of, then I think he left his old job because he wanted to be on TV.  I still think it was staged to make people watch. If you are adding a new person you usually do it at the beginning of a season, not the end. So it makes me think it was manufactured to get people to watch and hope they would stick around for 'Northern Edition".

• Love 1

I thought the whole Randy vs Shay drama was trumped up and poorly acted.  Alas, like many reality shows, I think SYTTD has decided the viewers want drama.  Anyone taking bets as to the storyline of the première next year?  I suspect Shay gets into some sort of trouble finding the right gown for a bride and Randy comes to the rescue leading to them becoming fast friends/best buddies.  Like a sitcom.

Do you remember an episode where a young woman was shopping with her mom, who had been serving in the military all the time she was growing up and wanted to get her something special to make up for not being there?

She was marrying a muslim, so she needed a modest dress for the ceremony, and she ended up having the dress she found altered into an insanely chic flapper-looking style with a juliet cap. It was over budget, but mom said she'd eat peanut butter for a while to pay for it.

I think you might be thinking of a bride whose name was Doria (I think).  Her dress was more retro 1940's than flapper and she wore a cute hat with netting as I recall.  This was some years ago, but she was popular on TWOP both for her lovely relationship with her mother, worrying about spending more than her mom could afford and the fact that she didn't go for the strapless mermaid with a sweetheart neckline but, instead, chose something unique and flattering and looked absolutely adorable.  The sort of bride you remember, unlike 99% of the gals on this show.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

II think you might be thinking of a bride whose name was Doria (I think).  Her dress was more retro 1940's than flapper and she wore a cute hat with netting as I recall.  This was some years ago, but she was popular on TWOP both for her lovely relationship with her mother, worrying about spending more than her mom could afford and the fact that she didn't go for the strapless mermaid with a sweetheart neckline but, instead, chose something unique and flattering and looked absolutely adorable.  The sort of bride you remember, unlike 99% of the gals on this show.

Thank you! I was having no luck. It's Dorianne Rivera. I guess I was remembering the very controlled hairstyle when I pegged it at the twenties - can we compromise on the thirties? It had a Jean Harlow vibe...

I still can't find pictures, but at least I know now who I can't find pictures of.

Thank you for finding those links, weightyghost. I remember her as being one of my two favorites on this show.  What a lovely relationship she had with both parents.  And a military mom misses SO much of the life of the child that it's wonderful that they were so close.  Love the episodes that highlight that kind of family.

To this day, I think Dori's dress was one of the best I've ever seen on this show. And it still shocks me that it was a Pnina because it was so simple and pretty. Well...that is until I remember the version with the standard pnina unlined bodice. I wish I could find a photo of it. It was probably somewhere in the 2006-2008 collections.