Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

ITA. I actually felt very bad for her kids, especially the 12 year old girl. I was confused when she said 'elope', & then they showed the venue, & spoke of people being there. Her daughter will figure out the difference eventually. It would be one thing if it were a true elopement, with no one there, but I can't even imagine having an actual wedding & leaving out your kids. And she acted like it was so important to not choose the dress unless her 12year old approved - via FaceTime! She was excluded from everything. Unless they have a bad relationship, that is setting the tone for one with her & her new husband.

The poor kid, while it wouldn't have compensated for the fact that she wasn't allowed to attend the wedding; why couldn't she have at least come along to choose the dress?  Especially since Mommy is a TV personality who is doing her wedding dress shopping on national TV.  Why not bring the kid to NYC and let her have a special time with her mother instead of using stupid Skype to prove to the world what an amazing, involved mother she is?  Or, you know, maybe shop for the gown with her daughter back in their hometown without TV cameras.  Or, perhaps have a wedding ceremony there with the kids in attendance and then have the big party for their important friends later?

The message I got from this whole thing is that Mommy doesn't want to be bothered with her kids probably because StepDaddy doesn't want them around.  I almost heaved when StepDaddy made his toast and welcomed the baby in utero as a 'guest' while the living breathing, sentient kids were deliberately excluded.  Heaven help this daughter and her other 2 siblings when the new baby comes along; it seems inevitable that they will be shoved aside even further and be excluded from more important family events.  Since this particular daughter is only 12, I found this mother to be even worse than Barbie mom whose kid was at least an adult.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 12

I too was bewildered of her choice to not have her children at the wedding, her reason was they wanted it to be about them.  How would having her kids there keep the focus off them?  Must suck knowing your mother didn't invite you to her wedding. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I too was bewildered of her choice to not have her children at the wedding, her reason was they wanted it to be about them.  How would having her kids there keep the focus off them?  Must suck knowing your mother didn't invite you to her wedding. 

There's also the fact that the marriage will be about the kids too, no matter how she and her fiancé want to spin it.  Therefore, the wedding is and should be about them; the entire family.  They've got at least 6 years, probably more, until those kids are legal adults.  And then, to top it all off, the bride announces on national TV that the only guests present at her wedding will be friends who are important to both her and her future hubby.  Apparently, her children are not important enough to be included; at least that is the message she was sending.  It seemed like an exceedingly selfish decision on their part.

• Love 7

I don't remember where that bride was from or where the wedding was, but it's possible that she is not allowed to take them out of state without their father's permission.  If that is the case, maybe there is a reason dad won't allow it.  And if she couldn't take the kids, then go dress shopping and have your wedding locally.  Save the vacation trip for the honeymoon.  Yeah, once that new baby shows up the older kids are going to be on their own.  Hopefully their father loves them.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, camom said:

I don't remember where that bride was from or where the wedding was, but it's possible that she is not allowed to take them out of state without their father's permission.  If that is the case, maybe there is a reason dad won't allow it.  And if she couldn't take the kids, then go dress shopping and have your wedding locally.  Save the vacation trip for the honeymoon.  Yeah, once that new baby shows up the older kids are going to be on their own.  Hopefully their father loves them.

Yeah, I figured it could be a custody issue.  But, even so, surely including the kids should've been a priority and planning a wedding that deliberately excludes them is not a good omen for the future. Her daughter, at the very least, was close enough to her and interested enough to participate in the dress shopping. They had other options that they chose not to take.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Since this particular daughter is only 12, I found this mother to be even worse than Barbie mom whose kid was at least an adult.

Well Barbie Mom's daughter remembered a close relationship when she was a little girl, but said the competitive jealousy started when she began developing, which could've been around that age. Sad because that's when a daughter is going to need her mom even more.

The other mom could've made her daughter a junior bridesmaid. It could've been a special memory. I can't imagine any good long term feelings coming from her decision to exclude her children - & I forgot she was preggers -that toast of his really just adds insult to injury. How sad.

• Love 3

I really don't want to excuse the "eloping" bride, but she did mention that she was having a local party when she got back that I think she said her daughter was planning and that her kids would attend. That said, I just see her as the worst type of special snowflake who sees a wedding as a big party for her rather than an event thrown by her for others who might want to celebrate her new marriage (and by extension the expansion of her family which should of course include the children). Also, it just hit me that she might not even have custody. In any case, I hope she has a wonderful party with her children to celebrate.

• Love 2

Hate the new format

Hate Shay

That creature identified as "Courtney's mom" was horrific. She, grandma, and the two sisters  need a serious hair and makeup intervention stat. 

Randy's mom is amazing for 93, and at her age certainly has the right to be a tad eccentric.  But, if I'm being honest, I would find it annoying if a total stranger came up to me, announced it was her birthday, and told me her age. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Hate Shay

His over acting & dramatics are incredibly annoying.

21 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

That creature identified as "Courtney's mom" was horrific. She, grandma, and the two sisters  need a serious hair and makeup intervention stat. 

You know I missed the intro on the grandma & assumed she was Barbie Mom's partner. They were sitting next to each other in the TH's & she didn't contribute much.

22 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

Randy's mom is amazing for 93, and at her age certainly has the right to be a tad eccentric.  But, if I'm being honest, I would find it annoying if a total stranger came up to me, announced it was her birthday, and told me her age. 

Only the very young, the very old, & people on reality TV shows can get away with that.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I really don't want to excuse the "eloping" bride, but she did mention that she was having a local party when she got back that I think she said her daughter was planning and that her kids would attend. That said, I just see her as the worst type of special snowflake who sees a wedding as a big party for her rather than an event thrown by her for others who might want to celebrate her new marriage (and by extension the expansion of her family which should of course include the children). Also, it just hit me that she might not even have custody. In any case, I hope she has a wonderful party with her children to celebrate.

I am not so sure I would want a 12 year old planning my reception, they may not share the same vision.  I did include my son and daughter in the planning of their Bar and Bat Mitzvah's but those parties were more for the kids attending than the adults. 

12 hours ago, shksabelle said:

Hate the new format

Hate Shay

Right there with you - Shay is awful, dresses terribly for someone who claims to be a fashionista, and if the other consultants have a dress code, why doesn't he? Sexist much? And the crying with elopement bride? Give me a break. If I were Randy I would ignore him at all costs, until he came begging.

Didn't care for sisters' look in the Barbie mom segment, but I got the impression they did it more to piss mom off than anything. They all looked at her with such disdain. I'm no Paris Hilton fan, but what an insult to her, that lady in pink was referred to as that. That's the bride that should have eloped. I would hate having my mom at my wedding if that's the way she acted. And Grandma? Dear God!

Randy's mom was adorable, but I felt uncomfortable watching her go up to brides and announcing her birthday/age. If she had a comment about the bride's dress or questions about their weddings, that's fine, but they weren't there to make her day.

• Love 3

Here's what I want to happen:  When Shay goes to Dorothy or one of the other ladies to ask for help, they should tell him "Go find Randy, that's what he's here for."  

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, Newberry said:

Randy's mom was adorable, but I felt uncomfortable watching her go up to brides and announcing her birthday/age. If she had a comment about the bride's dress or questions about their weddings, that's fine, but they weren't there to make her day.

I've wondered if they had her do that as part of the show - cast her as the 'cute little old lady who randomly announces her birthday to strangers where her son works' role. I thought she seemed a tad uncomfortable with it herself. Everyone knew they had a camera on them while she did it so they got a quick cameo on the show & couldn't have been too surprised or annoyed by her.

• Love 2

Here's what I want to happen:  When Shay goes to Dorothy or one of the other ladies to ask for help, they should tell him "Go find Randy, that's what he's here for."  

Except wasn't it Dorothy was was fawning all over Shay in the first episode?  She seemed to think he was simply fab.  

I haven't watched since, can't stand him and the show is too damned long.  It's always been High Drama Brides but at least you could take it when the show was shorter.  

• Love 2

I am of the opinion that "elope" bride's children are not in her custody.  Also, that the father wouldn't allow them to be filmed --- we didn't see or hear (at least I didn't) the daughter while they were Skyping.   

And Barbie mom and grandmom -- what was with that "you were the ugliest baby ever" stuff?    No wonder the poor girl had issues with her looks!!!   Full disclosure:  my mother also used to say this about me too, and I found it very hurtful.   Luckily, she stopped doing this sometime in my teen years.  Maybe someone told her it wasn't nice to announce that to a group of people?  At any rate, I've always had a bit of an issue with how I look and I attribute it to the first words greeting me were "Ew... she's ugly."  Not  "It's a girl!"  "She's healthy!"  "I love you!"  or even, "Hell no, I'm not going through labor again!"  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, NannyBails said:

I am of the opinion that "elope" bride's children are not in her custody.  Also, that the father wouldn't allow them to be filmed --- we didn't see or hear (at least I didn't) the daughter while they were Skyping.   

And Barbie mom and grandmom -- what was with that "you were the ugliest baby ever" stuff?    No wonder the poor girl had issues with her looks!!!   Full disclosure:  my mother also used to say this about me too, and I found it very hurtful.   Luckily, she stopped doing this sometime in my teen years.  Maybe someone told her it wasn't nice to announce that to a group of people?  At any rate, I've always had a bit of an issue with how I look and I attribute it to the first words greeting me were "Ew... she's ugly."  Not  "It's a girl!"  "She's healthy!"  "I love you!"  or even, "Hell no, I'm not going through labor again!"  

Even if she didn't have full custody, it is very likely TLC would require a release from both parents before filming a minor child in the case of a divorce.  However, to me, all the more reason not to go dress shopping on TV, hell, don't even mention the kids on TV.  And, of course, if you cannot get permission to take your kids out of state for your destination wedding; then don't have a destination wedding.  The bride worked for the golf channel, it is very likely she travels quite a bit for her job which would probably mean her kids spend a significant portion of time with their father (or someone else) even if they do have shared custody.  Once again, IMO, this makes it all the more important that she not deliberately exclude them for her wedding, let alone talk about it on national TV.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Even if she didn't have full custody, it is very likely TLC would require a release from both parents before filming a minor child in the case of a divorce.  However, to me, all the more reason not to go dress shopping on TV, hell, don't even mention the kids on TV.  And, of course, if you cannot get permission to take your kids out of state for your destination wedding; then don't have a destination wedding.  The bride worked for the golf channel, it is very likely she travels quite a bit for her job which would probably mean her kids spend a significant portion of time with their father (or someone else) even if they do have shared custody.  Once again, IMO, this makes it all the more important that she not deliberately exclude them for her wedding, let alone talk about it on national TV.

Yes, I agree, Doodlebug.  I personally wouldn't go on TV and air any family laundry or talk about excluding my kids (for whatever reason).   I also would not have chosen to go on TV if Barbie mom were my mom.

• Love 3

I personally wouldn't go on TV and air any family laundry or talk about excluding my kids (for whatever reason).   I also would not have chosen to go on TV if Barbie mom were my mom.

Yes, but these choices require forethought, decorum, and a certain level of pride.  These idiots are selling their souls for a few minutes on the teevee.  Apparently waiting to be "discovered" as major stars because they are so divinely entertaining.  

It's disgusting what people will do for a millisecond of attention.  And, just like making horrible posts on Facebook, they will never be rid of it.  It will haunt you to the rest of your life.  But it requires more than the famewhore synapse to be cognizant of that.

• Love 1

I also would not have chosen to go on TV if Barbie mom were my mom.

Personally, I would have gone on TV with Barbie mom just so I could send her links to all the reality boards where people are talking about what a self-absorbed diva mama is.

• Love 4

Barbie Mom with the fake, fake, fake hair...I think the camera person and editors revile her also. Note that they showed her staggering in her stripper heels as she returned from trying on her MOB/wedding dress and promised to behave.

• Love 3
On 3/20/2017 at 3:13 PM, stewedsquash said:

@weightyghost  Okay, I was going back and forth with what his title was supposed to be. Two things with that information:

1 He needs to wear black, period. If he is a consultant he needs to be in a uniform like the women wear. He could get by with the blue outfit if it were all black and if he wore socks with his shoes. And his shoes need to be dress shoes, not those casual loafers he had on. I am rooting for Shay for some reason, I see a little something under the schtick and hope that it comes out and he thrives in fashion. 

2 If he is a consultant, why the back and forth with Randy? There shouldn't be anything there, at all. If he doesn't need Randy's help okay, if he does need Randy's help (like each woman consultant does in an ordinary way) then flipping get Randy's help.

Okay it is three things. 

3 They need to stop with this unprofessional behavior with the staff. It is okay if the customers come in with drama, idiocy, etc. but the staff needs to always stay professional. We don't need to see Shay saying "snatched", or talking about co-worker issues. We don't need Randy rolling his eyes at something Shay does. If they want to have the ridiculous clients, fine, but the staff needs to balance out the ridiculousness with professional behavior.

I just want to see the consultants sell some fabulous dresses. That's all I ask to happen.

Shay comes across to me as extremely insecure.

I don't have a problem with what he wears, per se, except that he is so dressed down compared to everyone else who works at Kleinfeld.

So much of Shay's drama seems pre-meditated (the crying, the "conflict" with Randy) - either he is doing it to get as much screen time as possible or the producers are asking him to do it. Based on how the format of the show has changed so much this season compared to previous seasons, I tend to think it's the latter. 

I enjoy seeing brides try on beautiful dresses. I don't need this other stuff. Seems like most viewers agree, but maybe the ratings don't?

• Love 7

Tonight's episode featuring the transgender ... I'm so confused I don't even wanna go there.

Moving on -- Kathleen, the blond gal who, when asked by Diane (consultant) where she wanted to "cap" the price at, Kathleen responded: "Absolute top 5 grand, including alterations." ... to which Diane says, "Then you're looking at $4,000 for the dress."  In all the years I've been watching this show (I'm embarrassed to admit I've watched it past the first episode! ha!), I've never heard this before.  Anyone notice this?  I thought alternations were around $300.00.  Apparently not? 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

Tonight's episode featuring the transgender ... I'm so confused I don't even wanna go there.

Moving on -- Kathleen, the blond gal who, when asked by Diane (consultant) where she wanted to "cap" the price at, Kathleen responded: "Absolute top 5 grand, including alterations." ... to which Diane says, "Then you're looking at $4,000 for the dress."  In all the years I've been watching this show (I'm embarrassed to admit I've watched it past the first episode! ha!), I've never heard this before.  Anyone notice this?  I thought alternations were around $300.00.  Apparently not? 

I believe $300 is the minimum for simple hemming of the skirt.  Major alterations or additions would cost a whole lot more.  Sales tax would also be several hundred bucks.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I believe $300 is the minimum for simple hemming of the skirt.  Major alterations or additions would cost a whole lot more.  Sales tax would also be several hundred bucks.

So all of these years the brides have been conned into spending around $1000 more than they wanted to ?  That's disturbing.

• Love 4

'Sassy' Cathy was just annoying and her taste in dresses was awful.  I'm reallly tired of these brides who insist they're unique and special and 'edgy' when they really mean they want to look semi-naked. Fine, but it's not special or unique.

I liked GiGi's relationship with her mother and thought her dress was pretty.

I also liked the bride who shopped with her dad; they seemed like nice people and not as attention seeking as so many others on this show.

• Love 10

It's irritated me for years that the show kind of glosses over the realities of budgeting for a wedding dress. Maybe because I feel like it contributes to unrealistic expectations. Besides the taxes, veil & alterations like you folks have already mentioned, there's jewelry, shoes, special undergarments--- the expenses can add up very quickly before the bride is fully dressed!

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 8

One of the very old repeats yesterday was a bride who had flown in for 3 days to get all of her alterations done (apparently there are 3 alteration appointments) and take the dress home.  The problem? She had lost 50 pounds since she ordered the dress, so Vera had to basically remake the entire dress, in 3 days.   The bride was shocked - shocked! - she was going to have to pay extra for poor Vera to work round the clock.  I believe the rush fee was an additional $400.  

• Love 7
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

'Sassy' Cathy was just annoying and her taste in dresses was awful.  I'm reallly tired of these brides who insist they're unique and special and 'edgy' when they really mean they want to look semi-naked. Fine, but it's not special or unique.

Most of the time the brides claim to want a "couture" or "unique" or "not-pageant" dress the consultant sneaks in a boring ruched sweetheart necklace gown, or maybe with some lace, either ordinary A-line or fit'n'flare, and she falls in love with it along with the entourage.  "It looks so bridal!" they all exclaim, in unison.

The entourage always hates original dresses.  If the dress has something special to it, they almost always focus their complaints on the out-of-the-box part.  "You look like a tablecloth" "you look like Big Bird" "you look like a cupcake"" "I hate that thing that boring dresses don't usually have" and the humbled, saddened bride heads back to the fitting room.

That's why I pause the show to gaze at the beautiful, original dresses that paid models feature in the background, or the dresses on mannequins.  Those are almost always more exciting than the dresses the brides end up with.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

That's why I pause the show to gaze at the beautiful, original dresses that paid models feature in the background, or the dresses on mannequins.  Those are almost always more exciting than the dresses the brides end up with.

Isn't that the truth?  There are some really unique dresses that we only get a glimpse of as the brides in the same-old-same-old dresses walk by them.  There have only been a handful of really different dresses over they years.  And I don't count the Pnina atrocities as different, just expensive and tacky as hell.

• Love 7

Shay was a little better behaved last night, but I agree with those who say he should have to dress in all in black and wear socks, like all the other consultants. 

I, too, noticed Diane mentioning $1000 difference between the dress and the final cost. I wish this had been mentioned more often during the last 10 years.

One other thing that wasn't mentioned last night was extra length. A season or two ago a tall woman came dress shopping and quite a big deal was made out of the fact that the sample dresses would not be long enough, that she'd have to pay for extra length, and that not all designers would add length to a dress.  So how come none of that came up with the pretty darn tall transgender bride who had no trouble trying on dresses that were long enough? 

*Full disclosure: I'm 5'9", not especially tall as height goes, but tall enough that pants are never long enough and most dresses are too short, so dress length is something to which I always pay attention. 

• Love 3

So all of these years the brides have been conned into spending around $1000 more than they wanted to ?

I would think that anybody (referring to the brides) with walking around sense (and especially the brides who have researched their choices to the max) would be well aware that there will be additional charges added on for things such as the veil, shoes,  jewelry and alterations.  Just watching this show from a distance, I would assume that I would pay a very high price for the services at Kleinfeld's. 

I'm guessing that the consultants discuss these things with the brides while in the dressing room too.  That's not something that I want to hear repeated over and over again while I'm watching the show.  Just tell me the price of the dress, and I can figure that they'll add another $1000-2000 on with accessories and alterations.  It's like buying a car.  I know that if I start with a basic model and then add in the deluxe stuff, well, I'm going to pay for it!   I'm glad that Shay and Randy seemed to be on good terms on last night's episode.  If there was any resentment by Shay, he hid it well!

A season or two ago a tall woman came dress shopping and quite a big deal was made out of the fact that the sample dresses would not be long enough, that she'd have to pay for extra length, and that not all designers would add length to a dress.

I just watched that episode this past week.  It was the one with a 6'4" woman basketball player.  Randy said that most designers could add 4-5" onto a dress, but some won't add any length at all.  Finding a dress for this woman was a bit of a challenge in that she was so tall, and she wanted to wear 4" heels.  I think they got her to compromise on the shoes!     

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, rur said:

One other thing that wasn't mentioned last night was extra length.

It was mentioned, when Randy brought in the dress he said it had extra length which she needed. I don't quite remember the final pan up and down, but it seemed like she didn't need anything added to it. 

The one thing that caught me off guard was when Shay said he attaches himself to loving families because he didn't have a loving mother of his own. Again, way unprofessional but explains why he cried last week over pregnant bride and her daugther. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I liked GiGi's relationship with her mother and thought her dress was pretty.

I also liked the bride who shopped with her dad; they seemed like nice people and not as attention seeking as so many others on this show.

I did not enjoy Cathy at all, and thought her taste in dresses was tacky. I hated how they kept going back to how she was "analytical" because she was an accountant, and that was why she was being so picky about dresses. No - I'm pretty sure her ulterior motive was to act like she wanted something "unique" in order to get featured on the show. Otherwise, she's just like every other generic blonde girl looking for a wedding dress. 

She ended up walking out of the store without making a purchase, right? I half expected her story to end with her trying on all these "unique" dresses, only to end up falling in love with a completely generic dress that looks like everyone else. I would love a follow-up with her where we find out she ended up with a strapless A-line or ballgown with sweetheart neckline. On her budget, there was no way she was going to end up with anything truly unique.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, weightyghost said:

It was mentioned, when Randy brought in the dress he said it had extra length which she needed. I don't quite remember the final pan up and down, but it seemed like she didn't need anything added to it. 

Thanks. I must have missed that. 

Cathy - snooze. Typical "I need something edgy and original, but will end up looking like everyone else."

Mykia - I loved her and her father. They were both normal. When I first herd her say her fiancé was her vice principal, I did a double take because I assumed she was a student at the school...

Gigi - I typically hate pnina dresses, but she looks really amazing.  That dress was made for her.

Edited by Chellichik
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

So all of these years the brides have been conned into spending around $1000 more than they wanted to ?  That's disturbing.

No, for all these years the viewers of the show have been conned into thinking the brides were spending $1000 less than they actually were.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

No, for all these years the viewers of the show have been conned into thinking the brides were spending $1000 less than they actually were.

When we shopped for my daughter's wedding gown, I expected that I'd have to pay for alterations and accessories, because NOBODY gives away stuff and services for free.  Every time Randy or the consultant starts putting on sparkly belts, etc., I'm thinking, "So, how much extra does that add to the price of the gown?"

• Love 7

Yup.  Nothing free in life.  Some of the veils cost a couple grand.

Did we get a visit from Vera on last night's show?  She's the real star, not Randy.  She has to deal with the brides just before the wedding when stress levels have reached new peaks!  Randy and the consultants get them early in the process.  And she always calms everyone down.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Many times over the years, I've liked the look of the ones on the mannequin behind them when they are showing clips of single interviews.

1 hour ago, Chellichik said:

Gigi - I typically hate pnina dresses, but she looks really amazing.  That dress was made for her.

The dress didn't look like a typical Pnina.  It was much classier and less ornate.  I loved it, too.

On the UK version:  I loved the first one that the self proclaimed high maintenance girl tried on.  I thought it was really classy and elegant.  I also loved hearing the other girl's grandmother saying that she was tired of strapless dresses because everyone wore them now and they were all starting to look the same.

Speaking of strapless gowns:  I loved the one that the Greek girl wore, but was surprised because I would have thought that Greek Orthodox churches wouldn't allow sleeveless dresses (isn't it a Catholic thing that brides not go sleeveless in church?  Isn't Greek Orthodox a branch of Catholicism?  Or am I sounding really ignorant right now?)

This surprises me but I am *this close* to preferring the UK version over the Kleinfeld version. The Kleinfeld version takes a full hour and milks the crap out of the drama which limits the number of brides/dresses we see. Sure, the UK version also has some drama but it is somewhat minimized and how many brides did we see on the UK version? Lots! It seems like this version keeps things going at a pretty good pace for the viewer. If they had Vera in the UK, it would be the clear winner for me. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Speaking of strapless gowns:  I loved the one that the Greek girl wore, but was surprised because I would have thought that Greek Orthodox churches wouldn't allow sleeveless dresses (isn't it a Catholic thing that brides not go sleeveless in church?  Isn't Greek Orthodox a branch of Catholicism?  Or am I sounding really ignorant right now?)

Maybe off camera she added a bolero or wrap just for the ceremony. So far they haven't showed clips from one of the weddings in the UK version.

I do prefer UK so far, just because it seems, so far, they're showing a bit more variety of dresses & less drama.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3

I think one thing that is tiring me out on this season already is that the shows used to be 30 minutes and now it's one hour for Kleinfeld's and one hour for UK. No wonder they drag all the dysfunctional drama on and on. They gotta fill up that hour.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved the one that the Greek girl wore, but was surprised because I would have thought that Greek Orthodox churches wouldn't allow sleeveless dresses (isn't it a Catholic thing that brides not go sleeveless in church?  Isn't Greek Orthodox a branch of Catholicism?  Or am I sounding really ignorant right now?)

Nope, not ignorant because with the plethora of religions out there it is easy to be confused!

Greek Orthodox is not related to Catholicism although most of the religions in the world share common themes ("do unto others" as an example) and the orthodox churches follow a different calendar for holidays.  I suppose it's possible that some Greek Orthodox churches are more progressive (although I highly doubt it) but generally the rules say nothing revealing for bride or bridesmaids which includes strapless or low cut.  And the bride is required to wear a veil.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Nope, not ignorant because with the plethora of religions out there it is easy to be confused!

Greek Orthodox is not related to Catholicism although most of the religions in the world share common themes ("do unto others" as an example) and the orthodox churches follow a different calendar for holidays.  I suppose it's possible that some Greek Orthodox churches are more progressive (although I highly doubt it) but generally the rules say nothing revealing for bride or bridesmaids which includes strapless or low cut.  And the bride is required to wear a veil.

Thank you.  I don't know where I got that idea.  Maybe gonecrackers is right and they picked up a bolero or wrap off camera. 

3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Greek orthodoxy is its own religion with its own leader called a Patriarch, not Pope.  It has some historical ties to Roman Catholicism, but is its own separate faith, not a branch of Catholicism.  Most Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches do have guidelines for attire for the wedding party since they stand on the altar or near it during the ceremony.  However, it tends to vary church to church, usually the pastor is final arbiter.  A lot of Roman Catholic churches in the US would be ok with strapless as long as it didn't have a lot of cleavage or see through panels.  I've personally attended 2 Greek Orthodox weddings where the bride wore a strapless gown that otherwise was covered.  But, of course, the Greek Orthodox bride on the show could've easily gotten a bolero or wrap to cover her shoulders if needed.

11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Greek orthodoxy is its own religion with its own leader called a Patriarch, not Pope.  It has some historical ties to Roman Catholicism, but is its own separate faith, not a branch of Catholicism.  Most Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches do have guidelines for attire for the wedding party since they stand on the altar or near it during the ceremony.  However, it tends to vary church to church, usually the pastor is final arbiter.  A lot of Roman Catholic churches in the US would be ok with strapless as long as it didn't have a lot of cleavage or see through panels.  I've personally attended 2 Greek Orthodox weddings where the bride wore a strapless gown that otherwise was covered.  But, of course, the Greek Orthodox bride on the show could've easily gotten a bolero or wrap to cover her shoulders if needed.

Thank you, doodlebug!

I'm extremely shallow, but I wondered if Shay and Randy were assigned to the transgender bride because, technically, she is still a male physically.  I did really like her and she seems to have a great relationship with her mom.