Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/25/2017 at 9:14 PM, AZChristian said:

And the veil is extra . . . maybe that's part of the $1,000?

Oh no, definitely not included.  I remember reading that typical alterations at Kleinfeld start at $1000.  Of course, you could take your dress and have your alterations done somewhere else.  When my second daughter got married, her alterations (similar to what Kleinfeld does - bust, waist, hem, bustle) were about $400 in Denver.

Veils can also go upward to $1000, which is a real racket because they are mostly just tulle.  Although silk tulle is really soft and more expensive, a polyester tulle is more stiff and harsh.  When my first daughter got married, she bought her own dress so I bought her veil.  It was beautiful with pretty crystals and rhinestones, and cost about $400.  Had I known that she would remove it immediately after the 20 minute ceremony and place it in the bridal room with her other things, I wouldn't have spent that much money.

And don't forget about sales tax in NYC - I think I remember reading it's around 10%.  So your dress, say $5000 + tax $500 + alterations $1000 + tax $100 = your dress that you budgeted $5000 now costs you $6600.  Then throw in that blingy belt, tiara, veil, etc. $$$$

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, camom said:

I'm extremely shallow, but I wondered if Shay and Randy were assigned to the transgender bride because, technically, she is still a male physically.  I did really like her and she seems to have a great relationship with her mom.

Are you referring to Gabi's biological sex at birth, or are you saying she has not had sex reassignment surgery?  I ask because if the latter, I don't recall that being mentioned in her story (but I could have missed it). When you're trying on wedding gowns, you don't strip completely naked (well, there are prolly a couple of Pnina gowns that would necessitate that, but I digress.....) So I don't think whether Gabi had gender reassignment surgery or not factored into her pairing with a consultant.

Not all trans folk choose to have sex reassignment surgery. It's incredibly expensive, generally not covered by insurance, and like any other surgery, can be dangerous. Since Gabi is marrying a trans man, they may have decided to forego surgery, it's expense and inherent risks completely. 

If you're extrapolating from Gabi's mention of her *legal* name, which is male, that she hasn't had gender reassignment surgery, that may not be the case, either. Isn't Gabi from New York (correct me if I'm wrong)? I looked up the laws for the state of New York, and NY does not require trans folk to have gender reassignment surgery to either receive a new driver's license or amended birth certificate: http://www.transequality.org/documents/state/new-york

Gabi may still be in the process of having those documents legally changed.

I'm just wondering what basis your claim "technically, she is still a male physically" is based upon, and whether I missed something.

• Love 8

It was just my mind wandering because both Randy and Shay were her consultants and I wondered if some of the female consultants might have been a tad uncomfortable.  Matters not one bit.

1 hour ago, camom said:

I'm extremely shallow, but I wondered if Shay and Randy were assigned to the transgender bride because, technically, she is still a male physically.  I did really like her and she seems to have a great relationship with her mom.

As noted above, I don't think the show gave us information concerning GiGi's surgical history or lack thereof.  I think it is far more likely that the show wanted Shay to work with her in order to use the opportunity for Shay to discuss his sexuality and reveal a bit more about himself.  As for Randy, I kept waiting for him to mention his own experience doing drag competitions; maybe there wasn't enough time to include that, but I figured that was something he and GiGi had in common.

For those who haven't seen Randy in drag:

http://thevitalvoice.com/hello-beautiful-randy-fenoli/

The female consultants at Kleinfeld's live in a major metropolitan area, most of them have been doing this work for a long, long time.  I doubt any of them would have any qualms about helping GiGi find a dress.  I doubt she's the first transgender woman to shop there.

Edited by doodlebug
fix link
  • Love 6

Randy in drag? I'm REALLY surprised! I cannot picture it and, in fact, did not click on the above link. No judgment!! Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. I like him in his classy suits. In a dress, maybe not so much. Carry on. ✌️

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Beaner said:

Randy in drag? I'm REALLY surprised! I cannot picture it and, in fact, did not click on the above link. No judgment!! Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. I like him in his classy suits. In a dress, maybe not so much. Carry on. ✌️

I'm not sure he does drag anymore, but Randy was Miss Gay America 1990 using his stage name, Brandi Alexander.

• Love 2

I can't decide if I like the UK version or not. I like that they call it a "fishtail" dress. I like it that they call the crystals "diamante," which sounds so cheap and tacky, but is kind of fitting. I like that it's not a parade of strapless dresses.

But for some reason, the dresses don't seem to show as well on that show. They look lumpy and bumpy and ill-fitting. Maybe it's because they don't seem to do all of that business with the clips and clamps that the Kleinfeld and Lori gangs do

Is it me, or do they trot a lot more brides through the salon in one episode than we ever see on the other flavors of this show?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

I can't decide if I like the UK version or not. I like that they call it a "fishtail" dress. I like it that they call the crystals "diamante," which sounds so cheap and tacky, but is kind of fitting. I like that it's not a parade of strapless dresses.

But for some reason, the dresses don't seem to show as well on that show. They look lumpy and bumpy and ill-fitting. Maybe it's because they don't seem to do all of that business with the clips and clamps that the Kleinfeld and Lori gangs do

Is it me, or do they trot a lot more brides through the salon in one episode than we ever see on the other flavors of this show?

I like the UK version if only because it seems less scripted and also because of the greater variety of dresses we see.  It also seems to me that the dresses seem less flattering on the brides in part because the lighting doesn't seem as good.  Kleinfeld's and Lori's on the US versions seem to be really well lit, like a TV or movie set, which I think tends to smooth out the lumps and bumps caused by shadows, etc

• Love 6

I finally had a chance to watch the latest episode last night.  Having read here first, I knew some of the issues that have been discussed and was watching for them.  

- Gigi was gorgeous, and I loved her mother's accepting attitude.  She just loved her kid, no matter what.

- The young woman who married the vice-principal was an employee at the school where he worked, not a student.  Slightly less shocking.

- The girl who walked out without a dress never intended to buy a dress that day.  She just wanted to be on the show.  I suspect she ended up with something on the $99 rack at David's Bridal.

• Love 1

I couldn't find a thread for "Say Yes to the Prom," and not sure if there's enough interest to create one, so I'm just gonna leave this comment here:

Please, Kleinfeld - hire Betsey Johnson! Create a new position for her. I'm not sure what to call it; Posture and Walking Coach, maybe? Have her pop in for a few minutes on every bridal appointment to show the brides how to stand up straight and walk gracefully. I practically cheered when Betsey told one of the twin sisters on SYTTP last night "You know how you're gonna look more beautiful? You're gonna stand up straighter. As if you're a queen."

Having watched SYTTD since the beginning, one of the things that has always bugged me is the poor posture of the majority of the brides, and their inability to walk gracefully. Many of the fit issues they have with the dresses they try on could be improved, if not resolved completely, if they only stood up straight/shoulders back. Shoulders rolled forward and hunched backs cause horizontal wrinkles in the bodice (and make the brides look shorter and....frumpy). Tucking in the butt creates a leaner line. Learning how to walk without looking like they're slogging through the mud would improve their overall look, regardless of which dress they ultimately choose.

I know "charm school" is passé (learning how to stand straight and walk was one of the things all young women were taught decades ago), but for anyone (male or female) who truly wants to look the best in their clothes, learning how to stand and walk can do wonders for their appearance.

Hire Betsey!

• Love 5

I wasn't sure where to put comments about Say Yes to the Prom either, so I wrote some in Monte's thread in the Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta forum. Usually Monte annoys me, but I actually liked him when he was being genuine and not being snarky all the time. 

Betsey was wonderful too, and I love the idea of Kleinfeld's hiring her. If not Kleinfeld's, maybe she could get her own TLC show where she helps people pick out clothes and also how to wear them to their fullest. (I see her Wiki page says that she has a reality show on the Style Network, but I don't receive that channel.) 

Anyhow, I've stopped watching new episodes of Say Yes to the Dress because I don't like the hour format, and I think that they went too far by adding Shay to cause unneccessary drama with Randy. Then watching Say Yes to the Prom last night, I wondered why Say Yes to the Dress couldn't be more like that. Sure the bridezillas and family members from hell can be entertaining, but it was just so pleasant to watch the young people and how grateful they were. Even the "drama" of one of the girls not knowing whether her mom was going to get there in time didn't bother me because even though I knew that she would show up at the nick of time, I wanted to see the young girl get a happy ending. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I practically cheered when Betsey told one of the twin sisters on SYTTP last night "You know how you're gonna look more beautiful? You're gonna stand up straighter. As if you're a queen."

I agree with this ^^^.  Betsey was sweet when trying to instill some confidence into the twin.  However, I was so annoyed by her constant mugging and stealing the show at the prom runway.  This was supposed to be about the kids, not her.  Really?  You have to do the splits?  Because you can??  I'm not sure if Betsey was trying to be funny, with the way she walked, bow-legged and tromping about like she was bellying up to the saloon bar. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone happen to notice how Betsey's hairstyle kept changing from pigtails to up and back again during the runway show? It was hilarious. Even during the part when Monte was on the runway talking about that one girl who was waiting for her mom to arrive, the first shot showed Betsey next to Monte with her hair in pigtails - then cut to audience and back to Monte - and Betsey's hair is up. Then cut back to audience - and back to Monte - and Betsey's hair is back in pigtails! AND MONTE IS TALKING THE ENTIRE TIME WITH BETSEY STANDING NEXT TO HIM! (This is in the last 5 minutes or so of the program, so if you want to see it, the full episode is up on the TLC website).

They must have filmed that runway segment over two days or something. But it was really weird. I understand continuity errors sometimes happen, but that was just SO obvious I don't understand how nobody in production caught it.

Insofar as doing the split, that didn't really bother me because that's "signature Betsey." It's her thing. To be honest, had she not done it, I would have been left wondering if she was still able to do a split. Betsey is 74 years old. How many 74 year-olds do you know that can do that? Amazing.

Betsey Johnson AP.jpg

Betsey Johnson 2.jpg

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Additional information
  • Love 3

I personally find Betsey to be terribly annoying and couldn't watch the show because of her.  I don't want to watch anyone who demands that much attention and makes everything all about her.

• Love 6
(edited)

I heard that  last night, and kind of raised my eyebrows. Are the producers trying to curry favor w/ the White House? 

An appearance by a "celebrity" like her is absolutely the last thing I want to see on SYTTD.

IMO, somebody's pretty damn desperate if she's being featured on a show.

*Full disclosure: I only know what I've read about her. I've never watched any of the reality shows she's been involved with.

ETA: After reading the article and watching the promo again, it's pretty clear that there's a disconnect between what most folks here want to see (a bigger variety of dresses and less drama across the board) and what the producers apparently think people want (more idiots and more drama). I'm also assuming that all the "celebrities" we've seen over the years who got a dress probably had it paid for by the producers, and it's probably also why pictures of those weddings had the bride wearing a different dress.

Edited by rur
  • Love 3

I'm relatively new to SYttD, but DVRd a bunch of episodes from the weekend marathon.  My jaw dropped when a bride came in for a fitting of her $22,000 gown (but that included the alterations and custom made veil which didn't match the white of the dress).  TWENTY TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS?  And yes, she wanted to look like a princess.

• Love 2
(edited)
57 minutes ago, rur said:

I heard that  last night, and kind of raised my eyebrows. Are the producers trying to curry favor w/ the White House? 

An appearance by a "celebrity" like her is absolutely the last thing I want to see on SYTTD.

IMO, somebody's pretty damn desperate if she's being featured on a show.

*Full disclosure: I only know what I've read about her. I've never watched any of the reality shows she's been involved with.

ETA: After reading the article and watching the promo again, it's pretty clear that there's a disconnect between what most folks here want to see (a bigger variety of dresses and less drama across the board) and what the producers apparently think people want (more idiots and more drama). I'm also assuming that all the "celebrities" we've seen over the years who got a dress probably had it paid for by the producers, and it's probably also why pictures of those weddings had the bride wearing a different dress.

I watched The Apprentice back in the early seasons when Omorosa was involved.  She was a pill; very impressed with herself for no good reason, happy to take credit for things she didn't do and to diss everyone else when things went wrong.  She was conked on the noggin with a tiny piece of plaster during one of the first projects and turned it into a massive ordeal with trips to the hospital and frequent complaints of headaches due to her 'concussion' which made it impossible for her to do any work (while claiming all credit for everything).  She also bragged incessantly about her previous high level job in the Clinton White House.  Eventually, word got out that, while in DC, she was transferred from job to job due to her incompetence and lack of work ethic; she was ultimately  transferred out of the White House to a menial position in a low level government office before she resigned.

It appears this dress is for her second wedding.  She was also engaged to Michael Clark Duncan (actor from The Green Mile) at the time he died.  Interestingly, this episode was filmed before the inauguration which is why she won't be accused of promoting a private business while in a government job.  Yet, according to the article, just this past February, she was openly heckled by other shoppers while shopping in the bridal department at Nordstrom's.

I suppose TLC feels like any publicity is good publicity which is why they chose to gift this controversial woman with a controversial boss with a $25,000 wedding dress.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

That's 3 so far this season that I didn't/won't watch. 

Right there with you.  I get all of the essential info from this forum (ditto with the Sister Wives forum) that I need so I don't waste my time.  Kudos to those who stick it out and let the rest of us get an update painlessly.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I watched The Apprentice back in the early seasons when Omorosa was involved.  She was a pill; very impressed with herself for no good reason, happy to take credit for things she didn't do and to diss everyone else when things went wrong.  She was conked on the noggin with a tiny piece of plaster during one of the first projects and turned it into a massive ordeal with trips to the hospital and frequent complaints of headaches due to her 'concussion' which made it impossible for her to do any work (while claiming all credit for everything).  She also bragged incessantly about her previous high level job in the Clinton White House.  Eventually, word got out that, while in DC, she was transferred from job to job due to her incompetence and lack of work ethic; she was ultimately  transferred out of the White House to a menial position in a low level government office before she resigned.

That was the first and last season I watched The Apprentice. When I saw how incompetent Omarosa was, and still managed to "stay in the game," I decided Trump could not be as shrewd a businessman as he pretended to be if he couldn't see it, and realized the entire premise of the show was based on a lie.

Have you seen the ad for the upcoming episode of SYTTD with Omarosa? Poor Randy. He tries to explain to Omarosa (who calls herself "Lady O" - got news for you, honey. You ain't no "lady") the dress she's trying on is wearing her, and that if she chooses it, people will be looking at the dress and not at her. (Although to me, that's a feature, not a bug, when it comes to Omarosa). She haughtily replies, "Oh NO. You're looking at ME!"

Whatever.

Everybody loves Omarosa. All eyes are on Omarosa. Just ask her. She'll tell you.

• Love 6
(edited)

I am torn regarding which forum to post on.. This one or the Monte one on the Atlanta board? There's discussion on both, so here I am since it was a SYTTD episode. Well, I have never watched a Prom episode before and loved this. I would love it if the SYTTD franchise would snuggle in a Prom episode more regularly. I have always liked Monte and he was so sweet and sensitive. I saw a very recent profile on Betsey on CBS Sunday Morning (a very underrated show IMO), and she is 74, a breast cancer survivor and does all the gymnastics at her own shows. Heck, I am almost 20 years younger than she is and would love to be able to do the splits and cartwheels. I did think she sometimes took up too much attention from the kids, but that's Betsey. Those beautiful kids made me tear up. Hair and makeup as a senior in high school? I'd love that now! Martha's two piece was so precious, gorgeous and perfect for her!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

I too was bewildered of her choice to not have her children at the wedding, her reason was they wanted it to be about them.  How would having her kids there keep the focus off them?  Must suck knowing your mother didn't invite you to her wedding. 

My parents divorced when I was eight. They each got remarried without telling me or my brother in advance. My mother did this 3 times. She also didn't attend my wedding but did pay for my dress which was under $50.00 and my Dad was one of the 5 guest in attendance, including our witnesses.

I thought it was telling that the mom talked about how her 1st wedding was such a "production" and haw she said "family" with what seemed to be a sneer in her voice.

• Love 1

Many of us need to find something else to do tonight, because she's on the 4/8/17 show, according to my cable guide. 

And I would like to pre-complain about the show following it, Nate and Jeremiah by Design. I do NOT want to see another house remodeling show. If I wanted to watch that, I'd be tuned to HGTV or DIY. If I'm home on Saturday night, I want to be virtual dress shopping!!!!

• Love 7

He tries to explain to Omarosa (who calls herself "Lady O" - got news for you, honey. You ain't no "lady") the dress she's trying on is wearing her, and that if she chooses it, people will be looking at the dress and not at her.

That first dress kind of grew on me after she tried it on a second time.  The cherry blossom dress was elegant, but it didn't have the wow factor that the first dress had.  She also wanted to be a little more covered up on the top, so the first dress was more appropriate, IMO.  Randy's not usually wrong, but in this case the entourage loved the first dress, so if she had worn the cherry blossom dress out first, he would've been right!  Yeah, her time on The Apprentice was trying - to say the least - but on this show, she was just fine.  I've read her story about having lost Michael Clark Duncan.  That was a tough thing for her to go through. 

The other bride with the "mafia" entourage looked great in her dress.  That fit her well and had just the right amount of bling without being over-the-top.  I liked the dress that the scuba diver bride chose.  I'm not too keen on the underwater weddings, but hey, I eloped in an ugly dress, so if that's what made her happy, then go for it!  At least the dress was pretty.  ;)   

• Love 2

I actually didn't mind Omarosa in this episode.  I expected to find her extremely annoying and that was not the case.  I was surprised not to see Shay in this episode.  Glad he wasn't in it because I definitely find him annoying but seeing as he has been in the last few episodes I was expecting to see him in this one too.

• Love 2

There's an article in the online People magazine this morning showing Omarosa's wedding photo.  The dress with the matching veil looks really nice.   I was no fan of hers when she was on The Apprentice, but  that was eons ago, so I don't hold that against her.  I've seen her in some interviews since then, and I really feel for her after having lost Michael Clark Duncan. 

In the People article, Randy mentioned how nice she was to him.  I guess he was expecting that reality show persona, like many other folks were.  One thing that bugged me about last night's episode was when Omarosa's consultant was being briefed on her client.  She did a side-eye and said something like "She's on the Trump team now.  This should be interesting." How so?  Omarosa wasn't there to discuss politics or to have a campaign rally.  She was there to buy an effing wedding gown.  Way to pre-judge people.  Sheesh.

• Love 2

No, I get it. Being 'on the Trump team' transcends politics and really speaks to one's character. For those who loathe Trump and what he's doing to this world, it could definitely raise hackles. I'm not turning this into a political conversation, but look how many on this board alone refused to watch the episode? Frankly I'm surprised SYTTD chose to feature her; are they this desperate? 

• Love 13
(edited)
3 hours ago, Pachengala said:

No, I get it. Being 'on the Trump team' transcends politics and really speaks to one's character. For those who loathe Trump and what he's doing to this world, it could definitely raise hackles. I'm not turning this into a political conversation, but look how many on this board alone refused to watch the episode? Frankly I'm surprised SYTTD chose to feature her; are they this desperate? 

I think she brought the "real world" into what is essentially a fluffy, make-believe show. We will snark on the brides that pay 25K for a dress, but part of the comfort in that snarking comes from the fact that the little we know about the people buying those dresses in most cases is what we see on the show. And even many of the celebrities we've seen in the past (Sutton Foster, for example) are people we only know by a reputation (in her case, respected Broadway actress) that's pretty far removed from our lives. Once the show's over, we'll never see them again. 

When the producers brought someone from another reality show who had (apparently intentionally) developed a negative reputation, and who had been hired, negative reputation and all,  by a new president, I think it took the fun out of watching. When it was disclosed that she did not have to pay for her dress, it became an uncomfortable, real case of a person already seen by many as an undeserving "have" once again being given something without having earned it while the "have nots"  still had to pay Kleinfeld's full price. 

I do think the show's producers are desperate, and I don't think they have the faintest idea why people want to watch the show. But, on the other hand we're talking about it,  and to many, any publicity is good publicity.

Edited by rur
  • Love 8

Being 'on the Trump team' transcends politics and really speaks to one's character.

I really don't appreciate this blanket statement about Trump supporters.  It's very offensive, IMO. 

I didn't know that Omarosa didn't pay for her dress, but honestly, I don't give a rat's ass.  I watch the show to see the beautiful dresses and imagine what I would wear if I were to go back 30 years and get married again.  I sure wouldn't wear the fugly dress I did when Mr. Chat & I got married! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I really don't appreciate this blanket statement about Trump supporters.  It's very offensive, IMO.

That's so interesting to me because I deliberately left any bad/good language out of that particular sentence, as I'm not interested in getting into debate here. If you read it again carefully, you'll notice that I could mean it speaks well OR ill of one's character. There is loaded language in my post but that statement ain't it! Shrug. 

@rur great perspective, thanks--I don't think I parsed it past 'ugh I hate her I'm out.' But you're right, I just want shallow brides and pretty dresses, damn it!  

• Love 9

When it was disclosed that she did not have to pay for her dress, it became an uncomfortable, real case of a person already seen by many as an undeserving "have" once again being given something without having earned it while the "have nots"  still had to pay Kleinfeld's full price. 

That's precisely why I chose not to watch.  I have nothing but disdain for that kind of kissing up.  I'm done watching, pretty dresses or not unless they go back to the original recipe where the drama was at a minimum.  Of course, all filters are off today in "reality" TV.

• Love 3
(edited)

When it was disclosed that she did not have to pay for her dress, it became an uncomfortable, real case of a person already seen by many as an undeserving "have" once again being given something without having earned it while the "have nots"  still had to pay Kleinfeld's full price. 

Maybe Kleinfelds decided that the attention she might bring would be worth the price of a dress and accessories.   Again, I wasn't  a fan of hers when she was on The Apprentice, but that's all water under the bridge in my book.  I don't hold onto grudges against reality show stars that I don't know.  I'm not going to boycott a show I like just because of one person I might not like.  If there's somebody on there that I don't care for, I simply fast forward through their segment.  I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who didn't know who the hell she was anyway. 

As far as the "have nots," these people are spending more on wedding dresses than I could've ever afforded.  Even the lowest priced ones $1000-2000 are over my budget.  The people coming into Kleinfelds all have a budget, and many of them rattle off their budget without any hesitation. They've saved their money.  They know what they're getting into when they go to Kleinfelds.  Nobody forced them to go to the most expensive store in town.   Also, I've seen the shows in which Kleinfelds has been very generous to the truly "have nots,"  so if they want to give away an occasional dress to a famous person, what's it to me?  I'm in it for the dresses.  :)

Edited by ChitChat

The bride that was going to scuba her vows was ridiculous, she flies from Mexico to NYC with her mother 2 weeks before the wedding with a tight budget of $2000 (according to Kleinfeld's standards) for a dress that will be instantly ruined by sea water...so stupid. Maybe it's old lady practicality that is making me roll my eyes but really? Why not elope if you do want anyone including your mother to be present when you say your vows.  Why spend the money and ruin a dress, the bride could put that money towards her/their future.  They can scuba on their honeymoon or any other time since the groom is a scuba instructor. 

My question is why did Kleinfeld's suddenly have a room full of sale dresses for a bride getting married in two weeks when other episodes show the consultants in a panic when a bride says she is getting married in 3 months?

My son is getting married in September, I am a little sensitive about nuptials now and I would be so sad if I had to miss my son's wedding ceremony because I did not scuba, my feeling is it's just not a good reason to exclude family and friends.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

my feeling is it's just not a good reason to exclude family and friends.

Because it's an "all about me" world these days.  In 25 years (if they make it that long) and their parents are gone the will regret it, believe me.  My cousin lost her daughter suddenly at the birth of her second child.  The daughter carried the guilt she felt for eloping to the grave.  My cousin is still despondent, especially since her daughter died only a few years after the wedding.  But you can't tell the Instant Gratification generation anything.  They want it all, they want it now, and they want only what they want and screw their families even if they are paying.

5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Maybe it's old lady practicality that is making me roll my eyes but really?

Somewhere down the line that money will have come in handly.  But again, it's a ruin and replace age.  They grew up with new computers and phones every year because nothing is made to last and they always have to have the latest and greatest. Money is just another throw away commodity.

And, yes, I am an old lady.  But I grew up working, lived frugally (but well) and saved for my dream retirement home.  Everything I got I worked for and it meant that much more. I would never have dreamed of having a parent shell out thousands for something I was going to ruin within 15 minutes of putting it on.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I would never have dreamed of having a parent shell out thousands for something I was going to ruin within 15 minutes of putting it on.

They should have hooked up with Project Runway Junior instead of SYTTD and had the designers create wedding dresses out of neoprene.....

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Missing word!
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I would never have dreamed of having a parent shell out thousands for something I was going to ruin within 15 minutes of putting it on.

I'm getting married in May (I'm sorry that I keep mentioning it but 1) I'm super excited and 2) it's actually relevant here!) and I didn't realty have a budget in mind for my dress. I knew I wasn't looking at Kleinfeld-level prices, but my affianced was basically like, get what you like. I found the perfect dress...and I looked at the price, and knew I couldn't pull the trigger. I sat there looking at this gorgeous gown (and listening to my mom, bless her, saying she'd pay for it) and feeling literally sick to my stomach.

I ended up finding a breathtaking, secondhand Monique Lhullier at a nonprofit shop that uses profits to fight human trafficking in our community, and I paid less than half the price of that other dress. The price of that first dress? $1500. Basically pennies in the Kleinfeld world. And yet, I just couldn't justify it in my heart. 

So yeah, SYTTD is pure escapism for me, but sometimes I find myself really aghast at the massive excessiveness on display. Both in the dresses and the ceremonies themselves; all you really need for a good wedding, IMHO, is love, humor, good food, and an open bar. 

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

Both in the dresses and the ceremonies themselves; all you really need for a good wedding, IMHO, is love, humor, good food, and an open bar. 

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding AND your sensible way of thinking!  Love the fact that the nonprofit is benefiting such a worthy cause as well.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Because it's an "all about me" world these days.  In 25 years (if they make it that long) and their parents are gone the will regret it, believe me.  My cousin lost her daughter suddenly at the birth of her second child.  The daughter carried the guilt she felt for eloping to the grave.  My cousin is still despondent, especially since her daughter died only a few years after the wedding.  But you can't tell the Instant Gratification generation anything.  They want it all, they want it now, and they want only what they want and screw their families even if they are paying.

Somewhere down the line that money will have come in handly.  But again, it's a ruin and replace age.  They grew up with new computers and phones every year because nothing is made to last and they always have to have the latest and greatest. Money is just another throw away commodity.

And, yes, I am an old lady.  But I grew up working, lived frugally (but well) and saved for my dream retirement home.  Everything I got I worked for and it meant that much more. I would never have dreamed of having a parent shell out thousands for something I was going to ruin within 15 minutes of putting it on.

You 100% right about the "me, me, me" and the disposable money. That scuba girl will regret her decision at some point in her life.   

That is tragic about losing a daughter in child birth, that is a terribly painful heart ache, I am sorry.  

I was disappointed that the consultant did not challenger her at all, (I know it's not their job) but sometimes they are the voice of reason.  Additionally with all the accessories Kleinfeld's has, a bridal beach cover up they don't have. LOL. So many beach weddings and now 2 requests for a scuba wedding I am surprised that Vera and Co. are not busy bedazzling yards of netting for that purpose. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding AND your sensible way of thinking!  Love the fact that the nonprofit is benefiting such a worthy cause as well.

Thank you @Kohola3! The other awesome part is that I can give the dress back after my wedding and they can sell it again, so there's recycling on top of it all! 

• Love 8

all you really need for a good wedding, IMHO, is love, humor, good food, and an open bar. 

What I don't get is that everyone seems to need a "theme" for the wedding.  For me the theme was "getting married."  

• Love 15

I was disappointed that the consultant did not challenger her at all, (I know it's not their job) but sometimes they are the voice of reason.

They are probably told to be respectful of the bride no matter how crazy the idea is!  I'm sure they've heard it all.   I've seen 2 episodes in which the bride would be going underwater.  I remember Randy very tactfully trying to get one of them to really think about that idea!  I can't judge these people though.  I eloped and have regretted not having a small, simple ceremony for 30 years.  I let Mr. Chat talk me into that, and I wish I would've done things differently.  We're not into the vow renewal ceremony either, so I will live out my wedding dress fantasy through SYTTD.  ;)   I did like the dress the scuba bride picked out.  I thought it looked nice on her.  I wouldn't want to walk around with a wet dress on, but she said it dried quickly, so it was good that the consultants knew which fabric to pick for her. 

• Love 3

You nailed it, @TwirlyGirly . . . 

The only thing I would add is that often in mostly-black churches in the south, the pastor's wife is referred to as the "First Lady" of the church; that's likely why the nickname "Lady O."  TLC once had a show called "The Sisterhood," featuring pastors' wives from the Atlanta area; most of them appeared to be "entitled" in expecting a high level of respect from the congregation . . . regardless of the pastor's income.  Not all of them were rich.  

• Love 3