Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Did Shay borrow his suit from someone smaller?  The sleeves are too short and he can only button the top button because it's too tight.  No way in hell I would take advice from someone that looked that bad.

shay.jpg

That entire Randy v. Shay scenario was so ridiculously fake and laughable. I started laughing when Ronnie met Randy for coffee....the look on Ronnie's face was so transparent that he was trying to remember what to say. And then the little clique of sales associates grouped in a fitting room to put on lipstick and have a coffee when Randy walks in. I am sure they have their own lounge or break room. And yes to Kohola3, Shay can't even dress himself. Maybe his inflated ego blocked his view in the mirror this morning. Go away and leave Randy alone! If Shay stays, I will have to mute the show when he appears. 

If my BF, who was not yet my fiancé, and I were in NYC and happened to walk by Kleinfeld's and HE insisted we go in, alarm bells would be ringing from my head to my toes. It was a sweet storyline and touching for her family to be there, but everything is so staged. 

• Love 2

Shay, the new guy, needed a better-fitting suit. Shirt buttoned up too, along with a professional-looking tie. And a bit of an attitude adjustment, or perhaps visiting the break room to help himself to a slice of conveniently-placed humble pie.

He may prefer to work with a 'higher'-end client (whatever that is - celebrity, society woman, beauty pageant winner, wealthy), but I would think that Kleinfeld probably sells many more modestly priced dresses than the $10,000 and up ones. That is the main bread and butter of the business. All customers, whether they can afford $1000 or $100,000 should be treated equally.

Most women do not specifically dress for 'men'. Many women dress for women. I am all for men who are equal opportunity when it comes to women-dominated jobs. I would think that Randy would talk to him about making the female customer/client comfortable. There are a lot of women who might find it off-putting for a male sales associate to help them put on the gown samples. Most do not likely wear the proper undergarments required when trying on gowns - unless they are closer to the fitting/alterations. The drama seemed artificial and it would be more likely that the store's management would not simply spring a bunch of changes on their very famous store spokesperson.

I hope the 19 year old girl's marriage works out. So young to be committed to someone in modern times. No opportunity to get out and discover who she is. It does work for some, but the marriage odds are not in her favour unless the Orthodox religion ties her to her husband. It was surprising that when she chose her dress, that the back coverage fabric was either forgotten about, or not added.

The former Miss USA gown shopping two months before her wedding? Really?  She had access to many seamstresses who helped her out with her pageant gown career. Plenty of time to find a day or two for gown shopping.

I'd probably be mortified if the dude I married proposed at a bridal shop. Of course you would say yes - to save face and that you're on TV. Didn't the girl think it was odd that she was being filmed on her 'vacation' to NYC? Was the lure that the boyfriend was auditioning for some unknown reality show?

The blonde Lamborghini girl seemed terribly spoiled and indulged. What's a $13,000 gown compared to the $250,000 car? The Pnina she chose seemed to be on other brides this week. Her saying she had no real budget in mind? Yikes. The large necklace was distracting, along with the waaay too much eye makeup on the entourage.

I also didn't think Pnina #2, with the matching flower girl gown (the flower girl out-did the bride) was a good idea. How much would that mini-me gown cost? A few hundred dollars? Kids grow quickly and in a few months, it will just be in the back of the closet. The little munchkin will have plenty of time for her own wedding dress. No need to start this at 9 years old.

I don't know who the Jersey Shore? people were but they sure did have opinions. I suppose I'd rather have them in the change room than Shay. They were pretty blunt about the little sister's gowns. Better than the usual passive-aggressive entourage and the biting sisters and friends and in-laws.

• Love 1

In addition to lower budgets, many of those brides come with body shapes and sizes he probably didn't have to dress often at (Oscar de la Renta?). Whether or not he's an act, the brides he dresses are real people with real feelings and insecurities.

Shay doesn't seem like an 'attention to detail' kind of guy. At Oscar de la Renta he most likely had very similar brides - lots of money, into haute couture and thin/model-like bodies and he only had to deal with the one collection so he didn't even really have to know it well. It seems like most designers come out with 10 - 12 new dresses a year so it was just a matter of 'big skirt one' 'one with sleeves' etc. 

But at Kleinfeld he will have a huge variety of brides, budgets, and scads of different dresses and designers to remember. He doesn't seem willing to put in the work to make the changes needed to adapt to the new environment. That dress he picked for the proposal bride was so wrong for her and he didn't even seem to notice. Either he thought it was good on her which makes him terrible at "making women beautiful', or he knew he wasn't going to be making a sale so he didn't care which makes him a snob. Either way, he sucks.

• Love 2
(edited)

12 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Shay, the new guy, needed a better-fitting suit. Shirt buttoned up too, along with a professional-looking tie. And a bit of an attitude adjustment, or perhaps visiting the break room to help himself to a slice of conveniently-placed humble pi

I hope the 19 year old girl's marriage works out. So young to be committed to someone in modern times. No opportunity to get out and discover who she is. It does work for some, but the marriage odds are not in her favour unless the Orthodox religion ties her to her husband. It was surprising that when she chose her dress, that the back coverage fabric was either forgotten about, or not added.

The former Miss USA gown shopping two months before her wedding? Really?  She had access to many seamstresses who helped her out with her pageant gown career. Plenty of time to find a day or two for gown shopping.

If Shay worked at Oscar de la Renta wearing such poorly fitted suits, surely he would've been fired. He represents the brand, after all.  I find it hard to believe that Oscar wouldn't require all of their associates to be impeccably dressed and tailored.  He could use some advice from Randy on how to dress appropriately, that's for sure.  Randy is always perfectly turned out.

As far as the 19 yo Orthodox Jewish bride, since Kleinfeld's has an entire section of their store devoted to modest wedding gowns specifically designed for their large Orthodox Jewish clientele, the whole thing was undoubtedly scripted.  In the real world, the consultants who work in that area would've made sure that her dress met all requirements before ordering it and that anything extra needed to meet the criteria for modesty would have been on hand, no question.

The former Miss USA was also Miss USA in 2014!  The pageant takes place in June, so she was done in June 2015, a year ago, although the show was shot a while back.  Why in heaven's name would she have scheduled her wedding so close to the end of her 'reign' if she wasn't going to have time to shop?  What about the other planning?  Once again, totally contrived BS.

Speaking of contrived BS, I finally caught Brittany's special day; what an exhausting human being she is!  She's like a 3 year old, shouting 'Look at me, look at me, look at meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!' 24/7.  Her parents must be mortified.  I also couldn't believe it when she claimed to be only 27, she looks at least a decade older and significantly older than her poor fiancé.  She needs to step away from the tanning booth and slather on the SPF, girlfriend is as leathery as her 'horsies' bridles.  Her need for constant attention was just appalling.  While I know much of the show is scripted, she surely must've exhibited a major amount of self involvement and need to be the center of attention at all times to have inspired her storyline.  Her dress was awful, her makeup overdone and then, she insisted her ridiculously large bridal party (16 bridesmaids? Why?) hike through a downpour so she could make her grand entrance following behind in her covered 'horsie' drawn carriage.  And who saw her arrival?  Looked like nobody was out there but her drenched bridal party and her poor parents.  I also pitied the poor vendors who were forced to put up with her constant attention-whoring.  Lady, they just want you to pick out the cake flavor, or tour the party center or ride in the damn carriage; the over-the-top childish histrionics were wasting their time.  I hope they padded their bills accordingly.  I suspect her bridesmaids decided to end their relationship (I wouldn't call it a friendship when one 'friend' is so self absorbed) shortly after the extravaganza and give the marriage 2 years tops.  What an idiotic, immature, obnoxious nitwit!

Edited by doodlebug
Spelling and punctuation are good!

Shay's suit was just so ill-fitting.   If I had to choose between Randy and Shay as a consultant, I would choose Randy just on how put together he looks.  I also hate all the damned catch-phrases.  I don't want to hear anything about snatched.    It's all so fake!  Randy and the owner just happened to be having coffee in an empty restaurant in Manhattan.. hahha.  hahaha. haha. ha. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Regardless of his sexual proclivities, I don't know if I'd be comfortable with a man helping me try on wedding dresses, especially after one of the first questions he would have asked me (based on his talk w/ surprise proposal girl) was "What part of your body does your boyfriend like the most?" That strikes me more as creepy-dirty-old-man than trying-to-be-helpful-consultant.

Since the show intro already shows him reaching into the top of a woman's dress to make an adjustment and her reacting to it, I'm guessing he's either going to be "saved" somehow by Randy, or he won't be around too long. 

And, besides that, we all know IRL Randy's way too savvy to talk to a camera about any personnel issues in his workplace. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, weightyghost said:

@Julia 

The episode  where she gets her dress is up on youtube. Not great quality, but it's a start. TLC seems to have broken the links to their old photos which is stupid. Also, this is the episode where she gets fitted.

There is also this photo on pinterest 

23 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Thank you for finding those links, weightyghost. I remember her as being one of my two favorites on this show.  What a lovely relationship she had with both parents.  And a military mom misses SO much of the life of the child that it's wonderful that they were so close.  Love the episodes that highlight that kind of family.

Yes, thank you. I thought that the father should have offered to help, but I was touched that the mother was determined to do it herself, and that was an extraordinary dress.

4 hours ago, rur said:

Regardless of his sexual proclivities, I don't know if I'd be comfortable with a man helping me try on wedding dresses, especially after one of the first questions he would have asked me (based on his talk w/ surprise proposal girl) was "What part of your body does your boyfriend like the most?" That strikes me more as creepy-dirty-old-man than trying-to-be-helpful-consultant.

Since the show intro already shows him reaching into the top of a woman's dress to make an adjustment and her reacting to it, I'm guessing he's either going to be "saved" somehow by Randy, or he won't be around too long. 

And, besides that, we all know IRL Randy's way too savvy to talk to a camera about any personnel issues in his workplace. 

Thank you for mentioning this. I had forgotten about it but it struck me as really inappropriate too. Really everything about the guy seemed inappropriate. It's a business. You don't put men in a dressing room with mostly naked women.  Its just another reason I think it was all fake. Notice that we didn't see the proposal bride in the dressing room. Usually we see them picking a dress and putting it on. We never saw that. I suspect it's because they had a woman dressing her and didn't want us to see that Shay wasn't really her consultant. Since I doubt they'd hire a consultant that would require a partner for the dressing part, it's another sign that's its fake. If he sticks around, it will only be for the show. He wouldn't be a real consultant on days there are no cameras.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don't know if I'd be comfortable with a man helping me try on wedding dresses, especially after one of the first questions he would have asked me (based on his talk w/ surprise proposal girl) was "What part of your body does your boyfriend like the most?" That strikes me more as creepy-dirty-old-man than trying-to-be-helpful-consultant.

A consultant should ask about the type of wedding, type of ceremony, whether it's a church wedding where one must cover their arms, etc. A better question would be to ask about concerns about a dress - to cover a tummy, or scar, etc. To get an hourglass shape, what sorts of undergarments to wear a gown are you willing to buy or have already. The boyfriend's preferred body part is irrelevant. The bride dresses for conventional etiquette and comfort. It's a long day to be wearing an uncomfortable, hot, difficult to walk in dress, plus heels.

I believe that someone brought proposal bride a gown in the dressing room.

I winced at Shay asking the bride what her fiancé's favorite body part of her was, dumb question.  The whole "snatched" thing was annoying as getting someone "jacked up."  Shay will not be there long and yet seasoned veteran Randy is threatened, I am not buying it.  Randy knows reality TV well enough that this is just a producer driven ploy but his acting, yikes.

BTW, a few years ago I was bra shopping at Victoria's Secret and there was a guy working there, I am liberal minded but I drew the line, just felt odd.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I winced at Shay asking the bride what her fiancé's favorite body part of her was, dumb question.  The whole "snatched" thing was annoying as getting someone "jacked up."  Shay will not be there long and yet seasoned veteran Randy is threatened, I am not buying it.  Randy knows reality TV well enough that this is just a producer driven ploy but his acting, yikes.

BTW, a few years ago I was bra shopping at Victoria's Secret and there was a guy working there, I am liberal minded but I drew the line, just felt odd.

I thought "snatch" was much worse than 'jacked up' since it has a very disgusting slang use.

• Love 3

TBF it's "snatched" not "snatch", so there is a wording difference. (Unlike jacked up, which expected us to put an opposite definition to exactly the same words.) Still lame, though, and nonsensical.

It's also a bunch of years old! I learned of it at least a year or two ago, and I am horribly out of touch, so I found the whole thing kind of weird.

Since we're old AF, we're familiar with getting laid off once anyone lets the gray hair show or visibly passes 50. I realize I'm asking for a lot from an allegedly unscripted reality show, but I was very unhappy during the "meeting" between Randy and the owner of Kleinfeld's. If I wanted to watch someone nervous about his or her job because they were getting older and asking the big boss what was up, I'd spend my day at one of the local offices in Seattle. 

I watch SYTTD (as I have mentioned previously) because I enjoy half an hour of fluff. I like seeing the gowns and enjoy most of the consultants. I enjoy the non-Bridezilla brides. I want a stress-free TV experience. Real life is stressful enough. I realize that Randy could walk out of that salon tomorrow and with his contacts, he'd have a job before end of business the same day, but this wasn't entertaining. The "new" guy -- uh, no. I don't want to watch the inevitable "let's pit Randy against Shay and see how much he freaks out."

If Kleinfeld's has to resort to shark-jumping plot contrivances to stay on the air, maybe it's best if they pull the plug. Then again, maybe Randy should pay a visit to Oscar de la Renta's salon. They might pay more and he'll never have to sell a Pnina again.

• Love 8
On 6/29/2016 at 11:48 PM, Missy Vixen said:

Then again, maybe Randy should pay a visit to Oscar de la Renta's salon. They might pay more and he'll never have to sell a Pnina again.

Didn't Randy say once he was obsessed with matching Oscar de la Renta socks and pocket squares? He could probably work his employee discount hard.

I'm sure the belt was added to make it more acceptable.  This dress has to be in the worst wedding dress ever category.  She certainly would win the chicken dance competition at the reception. 

Holy crap, that is............I'm speechless.  I know I never saw that, I would have gouged my eyes out with a paper clip.

What the hell is she wearing on her head?  I looks like one of those wigs the judges wear in England with a chicken carcass on top.

This HAD to have been a joke.

• Love 2

I've got it! Since I live in the south, I finally realized that it's her take on chicken and waffles! The waffle is on her head and, well, you know where the chicken is. Don't know that the belt makes it any better, laredhead!  Magemaud, can you post the link to that pic? I question its veracity.

I posted the picture on Facebook after seeing the episode featuring it four years ago. Today it came up as my "Memories on Facebook" from July 11, 2012. I don't remember any details of the episode, but I'm pretty sure the dress was a Pnina (okay, safe bet!) the girl might have been Greek and that's her opinionated Dad in the background ready to shell out whatever it takes to make his little princess happy. I recognize Randy, but not the consultant. Here's the only link that I have to the photo, although it doesn't help to prove or disprove its veracity: https://scontent.fewr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/320365_10151020070504629_949536286_n.jpg?oh=e7aee9d253027e4868f5a57993a8b74b&oe=5827C594

• Love 1

Thanks! I do recognize the consultant now that I look closer. Can't remember her name right now. Off to pour a glass of wine to see if that helps. Oh what is her name......something ending in a feminine suffix?

I don't remember what the bride/dresses looked like but there was one a few years ago that's family were chicken farmers? and wanted to incorporate that.   I think this might be her.  I don't remember if this dress was serious or not.  I think she ended up getting a head piece with feathers instead.  Her dad was kind of odd so I think it might be her.

Chicken farmers? Well, now it all makes sense. Of course, where else would you go for the gown for your "Chicken Farm" themed wedding but Kleinfeld's! But even if this dress and headpiece monstrosity were meant as a joke, somebody spent an awful lot of time creating them. 

On 7/11/2016 at 7:42 PM, Spunkygal said:

Thanks! I do recognize the consultant now that I look closer. Can't remember her name right now. Off to pour a glass of wine to see if that helps. Oh what is her name......something ending in a feminine suffix?

Christiane, maybe? I remember her voice very clearly but I tried to find her name on Google, and that's the only one I could come up with who looks vaguely similar.

• Love 1

I came across this photo from an old episode

Just me.....I totally thought it was Maya Rudolph doing Donatella Versace as a send-up!  OK.....just me then.....

maya-rudolph-donatella.jpg

• Love 1

Christiane, maybe? I remember her voice very clearly but I tried to find her name on Google, and that's the only one I could come up with who looks vaguely similar.

No, I think that is Jessica.  I believe Christiane is the one with the long-ish face and curly hair.

The feather dress was a joke. IIRC, the father said that his father had run a chicken farm, so maybe they should look at a dress with feathers. So of course team Kleinfeld produced that feathered monstrosity which they just happened to have on hand for the occasion. But at no time were the consultants or the family serious about that dress.

I always wonder if Kleinfield's relationships with the designers is ever impacted by what goes on on this show. Not Pnina or Hayley Page or Mark Zunino (sp?) because they push those so hard, but the the designers of the dresses the consultants openly mock, like that feather dress. I remember years ago in the annual "blowout sale" episode, Dorothy whipped out the dress that is "the dog of the day." That's the dress that's so awful they haven't been able to unload it, and the consultant who gets some poor sucker to buy it gets $500 or something like that. I can't imagine the dog of the day's designer is happy to see their garment categorized as such on the show.

• Love 1

Watching the episode with Amy and Emily, the blonde twins. The twin is looking for a sexy (Pnina) dress that has a lot of see through to show off her figure. Yawn.

The sing song voice and vocal fry of the bride and her twin makes me want to throw something at the screen. The inflection is off. The bride doesn't appear to be all that young but sounds like a teenager. 

• Love 2

I turned off Directv about a year ago, so I haven't seen Shay. But many zillions of years ago, I helped a couple of friends who wanted to go in drag at Halloween. I've been sewing over 50 years, so making adjustments to a garment, is just making adjustments. One of my friends was standing on a footstool for me, and wanted to see how his dress would look with the front gathered up to form a slit. I just pulled the hem of the dress and reached up to the waist, didn't even seem odd to me until he got uncomfortable. He passed on a couple of years ago, I miss him. But I still laugh about his reaction to my reaching up inside his dress.

On the other hand, as a woman trying on a dress, I just want another woman to help if necessary. It's funny, isn't it? I'm a prude on one hand and a professional on the other.

So I'm late to this conversation (about the season finale, not the chicken dress lady), but there needs to be some defense in Shay's favor. He is a very down to earth in person, and the manufactured drama is exactly that: Manufactured. Try to enjoy it for what it is without worrying about the drama if you already know its fake. And nobody thought the proposal was sweet? Just hatred and bashing? One of you said they would be mortified if they were proposed to like this? you mean while basically in a dream in a romantic city after a romantic meal, while happening to come across a once in a lifetime opportunity like being in the store of your favorite show being able to play dress up in one of the worlds most luxurious selection of bridal gowns, where you can almost taste your dreams of your ultimate wedding that you've had since you were a child and with a guy you would marry in a heartbeat? Wow, you must have EXTREMELY high expectations of who ever is going to ask you to marry them, and I realllllly feel sorry for that person. There is, however, much to that story that is left out, as you might imagine.  There is over 4 hours of filming per bride and about 7 minutes of screen time, they can only cram so much in. Does everyone find the dress of their dreams on the first try? seems pretty unlikely. Why not step back a minute from all the hating, and recognize a romantic moment that was the most amazing imaginable moment for the bride? Isn't that what you watch the show for after all? If not, then I am way out of line and I will admit that fully, but to me, it kinda seems to be the point. Insider scoop, she really had no idea about any of it, so yeah its staged on everyone else's end (duh) but its not like anyone's trying to hide it. If anyone cares, there is more back story to the whole thing. 

2 hours ago, Latetotheparty1 said:

So I'm late to this conversation (about the season finale, not the chicken dress lady), but there needs to be some defense in Shay's favor. He is a very down to earth in person, and the manufactured drama is exactly that: Manufactured. Try to enjoy it for what it is without worrying about the drama if you already know its fake. And nobody thought the proposal was sweet? Just hatred and bashing? One of you said they would be mortified if they were proposed to like this? you mean while basically in a dream in a romantic city after a romantic meal, while happening to come across a once in a lifetime opportunity like being in the store of your favorite show being able to play dress up in one of the worlds most luxurious selection of bridal gowns, where you can almost taste your dreams of your ultimate wedding that you've had since you were a child and with a guy you would marry in a heartbeat? Wow, you must have EXTREMELY high expectations of who ever is going to ask you to marry them, and I realllllly feel sorry for that person. There is, however, much to that story that is left out, as you might imagine.  There is over 4 hours of filming per bride and about 7 minutes of screen time, they can only cram so much in. Does everyone find the dress of their dreams on the first try? seems pretty unlikely. Why not step back a minute from all the hating, and recognize a romantic moment that was the most amazing imaginable moment for the bride? Isn't that what you watch the show for after all? If not, then I am way out of line and I will admit that fully, but to me, it kinda seems to be the point. Insider scoop, she really had no idea about any of it, so yeah its staged on everyone else's end (duh) but its not like anyone's trying to hide it. If anyone cares, there is more back story to the whole thing. 

I think most of us here know it the drama with Randy and Shay is fake and contrived.  I think we also know that the 'proposal' was fake and contrived as well, and, since it's been done on this show a lot; we're entitled to think that it wasn't all that great.  I hope that young woman was somehow impressed with it; but I really don't think the majority of women would be.  Then again, your perception that dress shopping in Kleineld's is a 'once in a lifetime opportunity' and something every little girl dreams about is not my experience, either.  To each his own.

• Love 11
On October 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Latetotheparty1 said:

Try to enjoy it for what it is without worrying about the drama if you already know its fake. 

Similarly, try to enjoy it without micromanaging others' responses to it; people's distaste for aspects of the show really shouldn't have any bearing on anyone else's enjoyment of said show. 

Edited by Pachengala
  • Love 3

I stopped in for a couple of episodes today as background noise. Such a mistake! Caught a couple of super spoiled, entitled brides wanting something no one has ever seen.

One (Amanda) spent 30K of her parents' money on a custom Pnina to achieve maximum bling and volume. In her talking heads she informs us she dislikes anything that looks cheap. Which made me think some very uncharitable things about the quality of her straw hair and bad tan.  I really need to stay away... bitchiness is not a good look on me.

• Love 7

I caught the marathon on yesterday.  Such entitled brides!  I saw two who just HAD!!! to have a particular dress that was twice their originally stated budget.  Both brides, of course, decided to cut back elsewhere in their bridal budget in order to have the more costly dress.  All of that money (in one case 14,,000.00) for a dress which they would wear once and only for a few hours.  So ridiculous! 

• Love 5

I was curious too and plowed through Randy's Twitter posts. On Nov 14 he posted a pic of him and precious pup Chewy at the airport saying that they were headed to NYC to film the next season. But no date on when it will premiere.

• Love 1

Dresses start to look the same to me after a while. I saw a Say Yes to the Dress spinoff about bigger brides and it's the same strapless look and same designs as seen on other shows. I don't want to fat shame those bigger brides but please, cover up those fat flabby batwing upper arms. Is there anything wrong with sleeves? Seriously. 

Those bigger brides and their entourage will be oohing and ahhing over some strapless gown and it just looks like the bride wrapped her bedsheets around her body.

• Love 2

I might have been watching the marathons for too long but I think I've found a direct correlation between "the bigger the budget, the worse the vocal fry..." 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 9