Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

That moment was wonderful, but friendly reminder that it was actually Louise Fletcher who first signed her acceptance speech for her deaf parents:

While Robert Altman sat in the audience and mocked her.  🤬

• Love 1

I’m a little surprised how nobody seems to be wearing blue and yellow. Did everyone just assume everyone else would? Or were they just wary of coming off as virtue signaling?

• Love 2
Just now, dmeets said:

I’m a little surprised how nobody seems to be wearing blue and yellow. Did everyone just assume everyone else would? Or were they just wary of coming off as virtue signaling?

I'm ushering at a Ukraine/UNICEF benefit concert this coming Friday evening and am having the same conversation with myself! 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, dmeets said:

They did just have a moment of Silence for the people in Ukraine, and they keep running those announcements about donating Crypto to Ukraine...

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, dmeets said:

I did expect ribbon pins. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I always wish these things were on Friday or Saturday, when I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to go to work the next day.

They want you at home! Not out and about on a Friday or Saturday night!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

That moment was wonderful, but friendly reminder that it was actually Louise Fletcher who first signed her acceptance speech for her deaf parents:

Also Jane Fonda signed her acceptance speech for "Coming Home."

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

The Oscars ask us to support Ukraine relief efforts? Of course I support relief efforts but how about all those fucking millionaires there donate. They can all chip in for this museum but us working ppl have to donate. Sorry rich ppl annoy me. They could all donate much more and make a bigger impact.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I'm almost out of wine.  Do I get a refill, or just power through... 

is that a serious question?  There’s like two hours left!  (No, I don’t have a problem. Who wants to know?)

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I'm almost out of wine.  Do I get a refill, or just power through... 

It’s getting close to that time where the hosts try to wake up the crowd so some cringe may be coming. If it were me I’d fill er up.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

is that a serious question?  There’s like two hours left!  (No, I don’t have a problem. Who wants to know?)

4 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Oh def get some more wine.  Or I can share my vanilla choco chip ice cream with you!

4 minutes ago, dmeets said:

It’s getting close to that time where the hosts try to wake up the crowd so some cringe may be coming. If it were me I’d fill er up.

Thank you all for your wise advice.  I have followed it to the letter and I appreciate it - L'Chaim!!

ETA:  Thanks for the ice cream offer - I went with a black and white cookie to accompany the wine!

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 9

Instead of a written message about aiding Ukraine, having an actor speak who has a connection to that country - like Mila Kunis -  might have been more moving.

Someone mentioned messages about donating crypto currency.  I didn't see any of those messages.  

• Love 2
Just now, buckboard said:

Instead of a written message about aiding Ukraine, having an actor speak who has a connection to that country - like Mila Kunis -  might have been more moving.

Someone mentioned messages about donating crypto currency.  I didn't see any of those messages.  

I believe there was one right after the silent written message.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sweet Tee said:

Fun fact, this is my first time actually hearing this song, instead of just hearing about it.

Hate to break it to you, but you still have not heard the song.  That was not what was advertised. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

Oh...that was disappointing. I know I only just watched Encanto for the first time today and held off on We Don't Talk About Bruno until I watched, but...I think I was expecting more than them just singing the chorus and a couple of lines before switching to a rap? 

• Love 6

Hate to break it to you, but you still have not heard the song.  That was not what was advertised. 

Ah.  I was just thinking that it wasn't very impressive and what's the big deal.  This makes more sense.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Marley said:

The Oscars ask us to support Ukraine relief efforts? Of course I support relief efforts but how about all those fucking millionaires there donate. They can all chip in for this museum but us working ppl have to donate. Sorry rich ppl annoy me. They could all donate much more and make a bigger impact.

Several of them have donated.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

It’s easy to forget that closed captioning was a pipe dream in the 1970s. 

Indeed, and Marlee has worked for years to bring closed captioning to tv and dvds.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, CherryMalotte said:

What the hell was that?  I guess now that I don't have a kid in the house I'm not up on my kid music...which I assume Bruno is?

Everything from the rap onwards was made-up trash

• Love 4