Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Even though the last guy only said Thank You I loved that the audience was encouraging him to speak through the music.

Ok, there is literally no reason for Tony, Kelly, and Shaun to be here much less for Bond.

G.O.A.T.s. Just like Bond, James Bond. 

Tenuous, but there you have it!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

Because they participate in EXTREME sports. (And only Shaun White has been an Olympian)

They seem to mention Tony often enough during the Olympics that I forgot skating joined the roster after his time

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, susannah said:

What the hell, the frisking of the men? It is totally stupid and she should have refused to do it. it was completely degrading.

And it's one of those things that when you think about it, it would be totally and rightfully called out if the sexes were switched. But maybe they agreed to it beforehand.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, JeanJean said:

And it's one of those things that when you think about it, it would be totally and rightfully called out if the sexes were switched. But maybe they agreed to it beforehand.

I think the first part -- calling the actors onstage -- was funny and made a valid point (and fairly subtly), but the groping went too far.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Artsda said:

Wouldn't it had made more sense for anyone who was in a bond movie to announce the tribute?

Wow Jacob is tall compared to Rachel.

I think everyone is! She's tiny.
I saw the last minutes of the red carpet. She is way more self-possessed than I ever could have been at 20. There should have been a West Side Story nominee in every category, even if it would have been hard to pick who went into Best Actor and who into Best Supporting Actor for David Alvarez and Mike Faist. They were all phenomenal.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Sebastian has butterflies on his suit. Perfect. His voice is still beautiful and this song is still gorgeous.

Too bad that butterfly suit fit so poorly.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dmeets said:

I don’t think this song will beat Bond and Billie Eilish but I hope it does.

Although it would be a bummer if LMM wins the EGOT without being there

I think that’s a bummer he could live with. 

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

....what the hell? Justice League gets number one? What a completely bizarre choice. Doesn't everyone hate the DC verse? At the very least, enough to not make it number one?

The people who hate it hate it but the people who love it LOVE IT. They have a devoted fanbase.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Don't know how long I'm holding out.  Still pissed at not seeing Riz Ahmed win for Live Action Short.

For an awards show that has been trying to promote more diversity they cut the categories where POC and women have been making actual strides in the last few years.  Glad Ariana won and well deserved Honorary Oscars for SLJ and the legendary Elaine May.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

It's not that I hated it, I just thought it wasn't right for this show.  Next week though....

I love Beyonce but I liked the song much better in the movie than the way it was slowed down for this.

20 minutes ago, susannah said:

It still would be inappropriate as hell, but NO ONE would say that it was a degrading thing for the man.

He’d be called out for being an inappropriate creep though.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

I like how the ENCANTO people divvied up the thank you speech so no one could get cut off.

Yes! it's so annoying when the first speaker takes up all the time, til the music starts, and then pulls in another person as if they're going to be able to say anything. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Don't know how long I'm holding out.  Still pissed at not seeing Riz Ahmed win for Live Action Short.

For an awards show that has been trying to promote more diversity they cut the categories where POC and women have been making actual strides in the last few years.  Glad Ariana won and well deserved Honorary Oscars for SLJ and the legendary Elaine May.

Exactly. 

• Love 1