Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, Slade347 said:

Jane Campion should still win for Best Director, but otherwise it looks like it's heading for a 1/12 showing.

I hope she wins, I am a fan….but it’s a hard movie to watch.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DollEyes said:

Another beautiful "CODA" acceptance speech. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it won Best Picture. 

I have a feeling Emilia Jones would have had a good shot at best actress if she had been nominated instead of  Kristen Stewart for her Diana cosplay.

• Love 3

Just now, Lady Calypso said:

This Tick Tick Boom clip makes me sad that Andrew Garfield probably won't be winning Best Actor when he's really deserving of it. 

Me too. I think Tick Tick Boom should have been nominated for Best Picture . It was my favorite movie last year.

I also would have nominated Robin De Jesus for Best supporting actor over Jesse Plemons (sorry Landry)

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, mariah23 said:

Snyder bots?

Zach Snyder fanboys who skew the vote. Both of his movies have taken the #1 spot in the fan polls. 

Edited by Guest
6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

This Tick Tick Boom clip makes me sad that Andrew Garfield probably won't be winning Best Actor when he's really deserving of it. 

Based on the clips I’ve seen, I know that movie is not for me.  It looks annoying.

• LOL 2

Admittedly I've only seen her perform at the Oscars (tonight and the year she sang over the In Memoriam) but I don't get the big deal about Billie Eilish. Her voice is fine but the songs leave a lot to be desired. Are her actual good songs just not part of movies?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I really don’t have an opinion on the relative merits of the songs, but I’m hoping LMM gets his EGOT (McPEGOT?) so he can sit down and relax for a minute.

And to be clear - I don’t mean that like, sit down, we’re tired of you.  I mean, sit down and relax, you’ve earned it. 

• Love 15
Just now, superdeluxe said:

I still don’t understand a word this girl says when she’s singing.

Anyway.  The best Bond theme is A View to a Kill.  Duran Duran!

I agree! Close second for me is Chris Cornell's "You Know My Name."

• Love 1

Well that was an odd cut to Chris Rock

2 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Just now, ProudMary said:

I agree! Close second for me is Chris Cornell's "You Know My Name."

Unpopular opinion: I’m partial to Shirley Manson’s “The World is Not Enough”

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I hope she wins, I am a fan….but it’s a hard movie to watch.

That earlier joke about it taking three weeks to watch it was unfortunately accurate.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Demian said:

That earlier joke about it taking three weeks to watch it was unfortunately accurate.

I read somewhere that it was respected more than it was loved.  And Oscar voters tend to go with their hearts.

• Love 3
Just now, yowsah1 said:

I read somewhere that it was respected more than it was loved.  And Oscar voters tend to go with their hearts.

This is true. I respected POTD but disliked it personally. It was just so bland and didn't resonate emotionally with me, even if I could appreciate the technical importance of it.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

I still can't believe that editing was relegated to the "second tier" zone. 😒

Editing has traditionally been seen as the "tip-off award" for Best Picture.  DUNE might just win the big one...

6 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Nay!  Nay, I say!  It's Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"!

• Love 18