Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's not just too many awards; it's too much fluff and too many bits inserted. I get needing to have some breaks in between, but then these bits go on for five minutes and it's enough.

Yeah, that was the joke. We really need a sarcasm font.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Fair play to Regina for committing to this skit. While it’s funny it’s also kind of degrading For her and all involved.

What the hell, the frisking of the men? It is totally stupid and she should have refused to do it. it was completely degrading.

• Love 15
Just now, susannah said:

What the hell, the frisking of the men? It is totally stupid and she should have refused to do it. it was completely degrading.

For all parties involved.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, dmeets said:

As expected, Dune is going to bringing home the most statues tonight 

I suspect it will be like MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, in that it will rake in every technical award in sight, but the streak will come to a screeching halt once the Big 6 awards* started getting handed out.

* - Movie, Actor, Actress, the two Supporting Categories, and Director. 

Edited by yowsah1
  • Love 5
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

So, is this gonna be the Oscars: Dune Edition? Are they just gonna sweep everything they're nominated for?

What's the record number of wins for a film that doesn't end up winning Best Picture?

4 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Dune has already won six Oscars tonight. Not that the TV audience knows. 😠

Did any of the A-listers go inside to watch those awards being given, or did ABC force them to stay outside for the red carpet? I remember Jessica Chastain saying she would but she was doing interviews in the pre-show.

Edited by dmeets
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, is this gonna be the Oscars: Dune Edition? Are they just gonna sweep everything they're nominated for?

Nope.

Technically and visually it was stunning and is winning the awards it deserves. It's not winning anything else beyond that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
Just now, dmeets said:

Did the stars go inside to watch those awards being given, or did ABC force them to stay outside for the red carpet? I remember Jessica Chastain saying she would but she was doing interviews in the pre-show.

Apparently the room was 80% full for the pre-show awards so at least the attendees were supportive.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, LennieBriscoe said:

"Old Men Don't Jump." 😄👴👴

For sure, and I love your name. I LOVE Lennie!  Also, Nicole Kidman's face is just scary, and there was nothing about her that resembled Lucy in any way.

• Love 4
Just now, wallflower75 said:

Good one, Rachel!  I wonder who got bumped as a presenter to make room for her.

Some of the presenters are random and nothing to do with this years films or film in general so if one of them got bumped to make room for her I don’t think it’s the worst thing to happen.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, buckboard said:

Can you imagine what the reaction would have been if it had been a man patting down two women?

It still would be inappropriate as hell, but NO ONE would say that it was a degrading thing for the man.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Bravo Dune!

They were in Dune together.

Heh.  I am aware of what Dune is (both the old and new one) but it is most assuredly not a genre I seek out on the regular.  Also those nose things they wore grossed me out in pics I saw.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Even though the last guy only said Thank You I loved that the audience was encouraging him to speak through the music.

Says it all that they have enough time to do a salute to James Bond but not to allow someone to say a few words after he has WON A FREEKIN' OSCAR.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ok, there is literally no reason for Tony, Kelly, and Shaun to be here much less for Bond.

Right?  We can’t have people who made movies *last* year get their awards during the ceremony, but we can take time to celebrate movies that are 60 and 50 years old.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

So okay, "Dune" is visually enthralling. "Where's the beef?"**

**Boomer allusion. 😉

Hey now, some of us Gen Xers remember that one!!  🤣

Edited to add: wait, maybe I shouldn't be admitting that....

Edited by wallflower75
  • LOL 6