Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Kristen Stewart's look would have been fine for the Independent Spirit awards but it's not appropriate for the Oscars. If she were to win--which doesn't seem as likely as it did a few weeks ago--THAT'S what you want to wear to accept your award??? 

• Love 9

Ok, so Guillermo del Toro is tweeting the "lesser" awards that are being given out now:

Animated Short goes to Windshield Wipers

Score, Editing, and Production Design go to Dune

Makeup And Hair goes to Eyes Of Tammy Faye.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 2/10/2022 at 6:08 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am hesitant to watch Belfast because I know enough of the history of The Troubles.  I really do not want to watch a film steeped in nostalgia for a place that was deeply segregated through the eyes of someone who never experienced it.  Whatever The Troubles ended up becoming, it began as a civil rights protest by Irish Catholic residents of Northern Ireland and they had justifiable reasons for their protests.  The nostalgia feels wrong.  

This was my understanding also, and I completely agree that they had every right to oppose English oppression. I haven't seen the film yet. Do you not recommend it?

Y'know... Kristen Stewart's outfit could have looked cool and edgy but she isn't carrying off.  There is some alchemy about her that just makes the whole thing look tacky.  She just looks hard, like she is about to roll up at the park with some beers and put on the heels to be fancy.  I'd venture to guess that is if Zendaya had worn that look, it would have come off as editorial.

Honestly, I feel the same about her when she is wearing the tweediest Chanel.  She just looks like someone playing dress up.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, susannah said:

This was my understanding also, and I completely agree that they had every right to oppose English oppression. I haven't seen the film yet. Do you not recommend it?

I liked it. It’s meant to be a story through the eyes of a young boy hence it’s innocent and whimsical. I don’t think the film denies the catholics protest and I don’t think Protestants are painted in a positive light despite the boys family being Protestant. I don’t think all Protestants opposed Catholicism and that’s where this famaily sat. I get though why people could feel triggered by it as the actual in-depth history of the troubles is so devastating.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I forgot this thread existed until just now. I'm watching E!, as well.  I don't post much but I enjoy following along. 

I'm here too! Still watching the pre show, the Oscars will start in about 15 minutes. I am looking forward to seeing Tracey Ellis Ross's wardrobe disaster. I have already seen Kristen Stewart in shorts! I unfortunately have not been able to see any of the movies but I have seen clips and heard about them. I hope CODA wins.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

What is trying to consume Jada Pinkett Smith?  

OMG, it looks like some giant amoeba or something. I like the color. I can't stand Will Smith and I don't want him to win anything!

• Love 6

Keith needs to update his hairstyle. He looks horrible and it looks like a wig. Greasy too.

Jada looked like a bunch of grass clippings or seaweed lol.

Edited by Marley
1 minute ago, ichbin said:

Wait a minute...Maddie from Dance Moms was in West Side Story?  I saw the movie and that never registered.

I think she was in the dance scene at the beginning and maybe one other group scene. She must have a good agent/publicist to be at the Oscars when Rachel Zegler only got an invite because social media got upset on her behalf.

• Love 1
Just now, KaveDweller said:

I think she was in the dance scene at the beginning and maybe one other group scene. She must have a good agent/publicist to be at the Oscars when Rachel Zegler only got an invite because social media got upset on her behalf.

That's kind of what I was thinking!!  Someone who was mostly in the background was invited, but the movie's damn star almost wasn't?

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

Are Ariana DeBose and Tracee Ellis Ross wearing the same dress or are just the top parts the same? Regardless, it's not flattering for either.

At least Ariana's is fitted properly.  I don't mind the look on her.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I liked it. It’s meant to be a story through the eyes of a young boy hence it’s innocent and whimsical. I don’t think the film denies the catholics protest and I don’t think Protestants are painted in a positive light despite the boys family being Protestant. I don’t think all Protestants opposed Catholicism and that’s where this famaily sat. I get though why people could feel triggered by it as the actual in-depth history of the troubles is so devastating.

I am looking forward to seeing the movie. I only know a bit about the Troubles, but I thought that the point of conflict was between the Irish and the English, and the right of the Irish to govern their own country. It's interesting and I am going to learn more about it.

6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I know there are a lot of Riz Ahmed fans out there and you should he's one of the winners for The Long Goodbye which isn't considered important enough to be part of the main show. 

I'm a fan of him, but not of that short. I thought there were better choices (Please Hold and Ala Kachuu in particular) in that category. 

Either way it sucks that category won't be given out on the main broadcast. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, susannah said:

Yes he does. He is my favorite male actor.

Saw Denzel as Brutus in Broadway's "Julius Caesar." Not only was he terrific; he came out afterwards to meet and sign for anybody who was in line waiting!

• Love 6