Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I know why they cut him off, and it wasn't for time. It's that Del Toro had made a beautifully structured speech with a beginning, middle, and exhilarating end, and the speech that followed his was destined to be a complete downer anti-climax. It was a show-biz, end-the-broadcast-on-a-high decision.

That said, that guy was the friggin' producer of the Best Picture. He had a right to expect a moment in the sun, and he was justifiably pissed that he didn't get it.

I don't care if he wanted to sing the ABC's, it was just ridiculous to cut him off. Also, end the broadcast on a high? Like announcing the winner of the jet ski? I'm not sure they really care about that.

Edited by thejuicer
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Now that's how you age naturally. Eva Marie Saint, Helen Mirren, and Rita Moreno still got it. Faye, stop it with the damn plastic surgery. You are entering Joan Rivers' territory.

I think both Helen and Rita have had a little nip tuck.  They dont t have fillers or cheek implants.  That is where things go south.  Rita must have been wearing a wig because there is not other reason for the head band.  It detracted from the dress. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Wings said:

I think both Helen and Rita have had a little nip tuck.  They dont t have fillers or cheek implants.  That is where things go south. 

What about Jane Fonda!!  She was fresh off another face lift and was pulled so tight you could see the pull marks going up to her ears with her hair swept back!  And Sandra Bullock, NIcole Kidman with those severe hair styles enhanced their face work!  Only reason I watch!  LOL

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

They started to play Robert Lopez off then he said "my mom who passed away" and they stopped.

I don't want to pick on the guy for his emotional moment in dedicating the award to his mom, but I thought it was weird how he pointedly said the award wasn't for his children.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Until it was nominated for something that was shown on the broadcast, I completely forgot the existence of The Disaster Artist and the subsequent scrubbing of Daniel Franco from our existence.  

James Franco ;)   Unless you were conflating him with his brother Dave, but Dave is the good one.

12 minutes ago, jcin617 said:

James Franco ;)   Unless you were conflating him with his brother Dave, but Dave is the good one.

Oh hahaha thank you!  I knew that didn’t sound right.  I squashed him into his real self and his character from Freaks and Geeks.

The decision on who to include in the In Memoriam segment is always puzzling.  They always include writers and set designers and the like who nobody knows, but then omit some fairly recognisable stars.  I'm appalled that they omitted John Gavin, who was in "Spartacus", "Psycho", "Imitation of Life" and a Doris Day movie or two.  He was a pioneering Mexican-American actor who later served as president of the Screen Actors Guild and Ambassador to Mexico.   I thought maybe he died recently so there wasn't time to include him, but they somehow managed to include Sridevi who died just a few days ago.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

My favorite will always be the year Katherine Bigelow and ex-husband James Cameron in the SAME CATEGORY and she beat him !!!!

Yes! Especially since he always came across as a real jerk.

2 hours ago, Wings said:

I think both Helen and Rita have had a little nip tuck.  They dont t have fillers or cheek implants.  That is where things go south. 

Did Ashley Judd also have that done? I used to think she was so pretty and she just looks weird now.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

The decision on who to include in the In Memoriam segment is always puzzling.  They always include writers and set designers and the like who nobody knows, but then omit some fairly recognisable stars.  I'm appalled that they omitted John Gavin, who was in "Spartacus", "Psycho", "Imitation of Life" and a Doris Day movie or two.  He was a pioneering Mexican-American actor who later served as president of the Screen Actors Guild and Ambassador to Mexico.   I thought maybe he died recently so there wasn't time to include him, but they somehow managed to include Sridevi who died just a few days ago.

And they also left out Rose Marie! I don't understand why Sridevi was even mentioned, since as I stated up thread last night, that she didn't even cross over to do any Hollywood movies at all. And if the Academy thought it needed to have one for diversity/international, etc., they had Shashi Kapoor, who did cross over and did six films; two I think were Hollywood, the others, British when he was much younger. Speaking as someone who is East Indian, Sridevi had no business being in the In Memoriam segment. India has its own set of film award shows, and I'm sure she'll be remembered on them.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Tanichka said:

re:  Red Carpet interviews - can someone explain the appeal of Michael Strahan?

I don't think he's a bad guy, but he's just...there.  I think someone at ABC was secretly hoping for an awkward interaction with Kelly Ripa.

I know it was Miramax and one of the most unpopular Best Picture wins but they didn't even include Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love in the best actress montage--it's not her fault. And was Gladiator Miramax too because I don't think Russell Crowe was in the best actor one either? And no Kevin Spacey but that wasn't a surprise of course.

I did notice Judi Dench was in the Supporting Actress montage for Shakespeare in Love, and obviously Robin Williams was in the Supporting Actor montage for Good Will Hunting, which was also a Mirimax film. There were also a lot of The Weinstein Company films in clips like Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds. I wasn't awake for the Best Actress montage. Did they include Jennifer Lawrence's Silver Lining Playbook win or Kate Winslet in the Reader or Meryl Streep for Iron Lady (she has another win to pick from at least)? Because those are other Weinstein Company, don't forget to thank Harvey wins. I'm thinking skipping Gwyneth in the montage may have been because she was an unpopular win, and not necessarily a "we must erase all things Harvey" attempt.

9 hours ago, blackwing said:

Who was the guy who was the last of a trio that won one of the minor awards?  He rattled off this long list of lackeys that work for him and ended with something like "thank you for getting this for me!"  Egotistical much?  Not sure if he acknowledged his co-winners but what a way to remind all those lackeys that he's the boss and they all toil and slave so he can win an Oscar.  I get that this is how things work in most of the working world, all the peons put in effort to make the boss look good, but it was still a bit off as far as I viewed it.

I look at it from the other side.  Yes, he was the guy who took home the Oscar, but not only did he mention their names on the actual Academy Awards broadcast (which, if I was on that team, and had my name called on the biggest international awards broadcast for my profession, I'd be thrilled) but he acknowledged that he didn't do it alone, that they were the reason for the win.  I think that's cool.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, ombelico said:

So is Jennifer Lawrence a giant, or is Jodie Foster tiny?

6" height difference and heels v. crutches.  ;-)

11 hours ago, TV Mercenary said:

All the ladies who are nominated and never won and somehow Jennifer Lawrence has two of these bad boys I will never understand nor will I ever agree.

As others have pointed out, Lawrence has one Oscar.  The two-time winner that galls me is Hillary Swank, especially the 2nd win for M$B, which I thought was a horrible movie.  I really wish Kate Winslet had won that year for Eternal Sunshine...  She was amazing.

11 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I hated Fargo.

Blasphemy!  ;-) It's a movie I can watch over and over again (and have).

11 hours ago, pivot said:

I thought Jennifer was the best part of American Hustle and should have won for Joy. I think she truly is the actress of her generation a la Streep. 

Then why is she making dreck like Red Sparrow?

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Until it was nominated for something that was shown on the broadcast, I completely forgot the existence of The Disaster Artist and the subsequent scrubbing of Daniel Franco from our existence.  

Yet Ryan Seacrest did his job...

I actually don’t have enough information about either of those cases to say what should or should not happen, but I do find the (lack of) consistency interesting.

"The Disaster Artist" was nominated for Adapted Screenplay.  Screenwriters Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber were accordingly credited with the other AS nominees.  

58 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I look at it from the other side.  Yes, he was the guy who took home the Oscar, but not only did he mention their names on the actual Academy Awards broadcast (which, if I was on that team, and had my name called on the biggest international awards broadcast for my profession, I'd be thrilled) but he acknowledged that he didn't do it alone, that they were the reason for the win.  I think that's cool.

I see your point, and while I agree that it's nice that he named them, I suppose it was that very jarring "thank you for getting this... for me!" that I found weird.  Usually people will thank their team and say things like "this award represents all of our efforts and hard work".  It's understood that the guy on stage takes it home and displays it in his house, and there's usually not such a blatant verbalisation that "it's mine, all mine!!!" 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm sure her husband has a thing or two to say about that haha

Re - whether the guy who got the Jetski gets to keep Helen Mirren......  the entire point of women's  liberation/empowerment is that Helen Mirren gets to make her own choice, not her husband.

Gael Garcia Bernal looked really embarrassed singing the intro to that song, and Miguel is a very attractive man.

• Love 2

Can't wait to get home and fast forward to the good bits you all mentioned. 

I just watched TCM Remembers 2017 and it brought home what a horrible year it was.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't see it as shade at the nominees but rather the nominators.  I get why people don't like it.  I'm amused by it.  And I'll be mean and say I don't care if it causes them a second or two of discomfort.  Most of those guys benefit from directing-while-male in terms of financing or projects they're offered/allowed to get off the ground and in how much more "serious" their work is perceived*.  So they may have had a .5 second amount of shade thrown their way (although, like I said, I saw it more as a dig at the people who do the nominating)?  Meh.   

High-five @Irlandesa. These white dudes have ruled the industry for so long, they got to dictate what they want and they don't want, whose careers are important and who to blacklist, who makes money and who doesn't, while everyone in the fringes wait for crumbs that come along their way. If they have lived that way for 50 or so years, I'm sure they can take a year of shade or two from the outsiders who are finally given a seat at the table.

I really don't have a dog in this Oscar race, so I'm glad they spread out the love this year. Some important wins for Get Out and Call Me By Your Name. I was hoping Lady Bird would win something to honor Greta's work in some way.  I guess the backlash did get to Three Billboards just in time for Oscar voting. I haven't seen The Shape of Water yet so I really can't comment on the film. Even though the show always run long, I thought it was better paced this year, compared to last. I like the mix of presenters - welcoming the present and future of the industry while honoring its great past. I read ahead of time that they changed the presenters of the Best Actor and Actress due to Casey Affleck, and I thought, well that sucks for Emma Stone, why is she being shafted for something she didn't even do? But I'm glad she still presented for Best Director. I liked the banter between Tiffany Haddish/Maya Rudolph the most, with Jodie Foster/JLaw coming in second. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I don't want to pick on the guy for his emotional moment in dedicating the award to his mom, but I thought it was weird how he pointedly said the award wasn't for his children.

That was weird, and so was Alexandre Desplat saying his award wasn't for his wife before saying it was for their (grown, apparently) children. Okay...?

Roger Deakins got his Oscar, and that's pretty much all I care about.

I giggled when the voiceover lady said it was the "second doctor" for Frances McDormand. I guess it was a long night for everyone.

I'm so used to the male recipients doing the cheek kiss with female award presenters that I had to laugh when Jordan Peele snatched the Oscar with one hand from Nicole Kidman without even looking at her before going to the microphone. 

Nicole Kidman's dress with the big fucking bow reminded me of that scene in The Devil Wears Prada where the designer debuts a gown with a huge bow in the front that is so hideous that Miranda Priestly is moved to purse her lips and sigh in displeasure, leading the designer to revamp his entire line.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Now that I read this I did not see Spacey in either lead OR supporting montage. Not to diminish or insult any of the movements..Spacey's Keysor SoUSA  (sorry spelling) remains one of the best and most memorable  characters and performances...strange to not see it even be quickly flashed.

This. Keyse Soze remains one of my favorite movie characters. I watched The Usual Suspects many, many times, and I still watch whenever it comes on on TV, whether it's the beginning, middle and end. Kevin Spacey's performance of Keyser Soze may go down as one of the best ever. So yes, it is conflicting to not see him in that montage. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Now that's how you age naturally. Eva Marie Saint, Helen Mirren, and Rita Moreno still got it. Faye, stop it with the damn plastic surgery. You are entering Joan Rivers' territory.

And Jane Fonda.  I noticed that both Jane and Faye slurred the "s" in some words -- sounded like "sh".*  Made me wonder what muscles are affected -- there are so many facial muscles, mess around too much and there's gotta be an impact.

*Their S sounded like a recent speech of Trump's, where he slurred United Shtates -- maybe he uses botox too?

• Love 2

Everyone at the Oscars had better appreciate the fact that Meryl is always willing to play.  Half the time she looks surprised that they mentioned her, but she always laughs and joins in.  It would be so awkward if one time she just sat and stared.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

And Jane Fonda.  I noticed that both Jane and Faye slurred the "s" in some words -- sounded like "sh".*  Made me wonder what muscles are affected -- there are so many facial muscles, mess around too much and there's gotta be an impact.

*Their S sounded like a recent speech of Trump's, where he slurred United Shtates -- maybe he uses botox too?

Dentures, more likely. if they're not secured perfectly that can happen sometimes.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Everyone at the Oscars had better appreciate the fact that Meryl is always willing to play.  Half the time she looks surprised that they mentioned her, but she always laughs and joins in.  It would be so awkward if one time she just sat and stared.

True, but I'm getting tired of the Meryl jokes.  It was cute at first, but it's become so predictable and boring, much like the gimmicky bullshit of surprising tourists, or giving away jet-skis. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I guess the backlash did get to Three Billboards just in time for Oscar voting.

Yes, I was relieved for whatever part that played in the film failing to snag Best Picture or Screenplay. I don't mind McDormand winning, but I do wish the backlash had also washed out Sam Rockwell, since his character's god-awful, poorly-executed "redemption" arc is a primary reason for why the film's so problematic (yes, I've read McDonagh's claims otherwise. If it were actually true, rather than a desperate attempt to fend off the backlash, he would have shot that back half of the film very differently). A sentiment clearly shared by Viola Davis - the glum look on her face and utter lack of enthusiasm as she read out his name was even more pointed than Brie Larson last year.

• Love 4

When I was reading an article today about the show it reminded me that the guy who introduced the song from Coco made a “wall” joke, but it basically got no reaction.

I wonder if people didn't get it, I mean, it was subtle, but not THAT subtle.  Normally stuff like that gets the crowd roaring.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I'm very disappointed that Donald Sutherland wasn't honoured tonight, the way he should be.  I agree with the person who said he's a Canadian treasure.  He has one of the best voices in the business.  But an actor like Sutherland probably didn't mind that he wasn't on the big show.  He's always been about the work.

He was in a recent episode of 60 Minutes where he discussed how much it bothered him that he had never been attractive. It was sad.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

True, but I'm getting tired of the Meryl jokes.  It was cute at first, but it's become so predictable and boring, much like the gimmicky bullshit of surprising tourists, or giving away jet-skis. 

I remember when they used to constantly make jokes about Jack Nicholson, then George Clooney. Now it seems Meryl is the go to one, because she happens to be there almost every year.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

Roger Deakins got his Oscar, and that's pretty much all I care about.

Hell yes.  He's been involved in some of my favorite movies. 

I had to wonder about his twitchiness --maybe it was just nerves.  People act like that on Cops and it's assumed they're on something, or withdrawing from something.  Anyone else notice?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Everyone at the Oscars had better appreciate the fact that Meryl is always willing to play.  

As Meryl said in one of her GG acceptance speeches, she's worked with pretty much everyone in the room.  I think people know she's a good sport and kind.

• Love 11
(edited)
20 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Hell yes.  He's been involved in some of my favorite movies. 

I had to wonder about his twitchiness --maybe it was just nerves.  People act like that on Cops and it's assumed they're on something, or withdrawing from something.  Anyone else notice?

I noticed, although my first thought was a neurological illness.

I'm still pissed he didn't get the Oscar for Sicario. I love Emmanuel Lubezki's work, but no.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I noticed that both Jane and Faye slurred the "s" in some words -- sounded like "sh".*  Made me wonder what muscles are affected -- there are so many facial muscles, mess around too much and there's gotta be an impact.

Yes, too much filler & botox around the mouth - same with Leah Remini, she slurs, too.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

As Meryl said in one of her GG acceptance speeches, she's worked with pretty much everyone in the room.  I think people know she's a good sport and kind.

Except girl crush Tiffany Haddish, but I expect the mother-daughter comedy to start filming later this year. Tiff charmed the hell out of everyone this awards season so she won’t have to look hard to find a director or distributor. 

I’ve decided my favorite small moment was when Jimmy asked Spielberg for weed and Steven started reaching into his pocket. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The thing that hurts Shakespeare in Love the most is that it isn't Saving Private Ryan.

For me, that was a point in it's favor.  I thought that, except for those first twenty minutes, Saving Private Ryan is terribly overrated.

I would've liked for Dunkirk to win Best Picture, as I thought it was amazing, but I didn't see most of the nominated films so I can't say it was robbed.

Whatever Gary Oldman might be like as a person, for any one else to win that award this year would've been a travesty, imo.  He was fucking brilliant and completely disappeared into the role, and I don't just mean looks-wise.

Mary J. Blige was robbed for Best Song.  The one from Coco was better than that abomination from Frozen, but only marginally.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He was in a recent episode of 60 Minutes where he discussed how much it bothered him that he had never been attractive. It was sad.

Donald Sutherland has always been a damned attractive man.  It's a shame he never thought so.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I've always thought he was attractive AND sexy! I wonder how he got the impression he's not? 

Why he didn't win an Oscar for his performance in Ordinary People is one of the great mysteries of all time. All of the performances were tremendous, but Sutherland and MTM were perfection. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Cajungirl64 said:

Why he didn't win an Oscar for his performance in Ordinary People is one of the great mysteries of all time. All of the performances were tremendous, but Sutherland and MTM were perfection. 

Because the producers pushed Timothy Hutton, who was the freakin' lead, into the Best Supporting Actor category, where he won.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Cajungirl64 said:

I've always thought he was attractive AND sexy! I wonder how he got the impression he's not? 

He’s not conventionally attractive but he has a wonderful smile that makes him shine.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Inquisitionist said:

Because the producers pushed Timothy Hutton, who was the freakin' lead, into the Best Supporting Actor category, where he won.

Ohhh... THAT's what happened? Hutton was magnificent, but you're right... He WAS the lead. I don't remember the competition in the lead actor category that year. Did they put TH in as supporting because they thought he had a better chance (was that category weaker)? Hutton may not have won had he been in the CORRECT (leading actor) category, but he was just starting out and had years ahead of him to earn his Oscar, whereas Sutherland had been acting for a long time. I don't normally buy into the whole "he or she is DUE" premise, but Sutherland EARNED the Supporting Actor Oscar that year. What a shame.

• Love 1