Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

As others have pointed out, Lawrence has one Oscar.  The two-time winner that galls me is Hillary Swank, especially the 2nd win for M$B, which I thought was a horrible movie.  I really wish Kate Winslet had won that year for Eternal Sunshine...  She was amazing.

I was really rooting for that one, and I was pissed that she lost. I didn't see Million Dollar Baby, but it sounds like time hasn't exactly been kind to it, while Eternal Sunshine definitely seems to be remembered. The older I get, the more I relate to that movie. (I have the same feeling for Lost In Translation.)

He was in a recent episode of 60 Minutes where he discussed how much it bothered him that he had never been attractive. It was sad.

Maybe his face just works better on a shorter, smaller body? Kiefer Sutherland was definitely considered attractive in the late 80's/early 90's, particularly the Lost Boys. Not as hot as Jason Patric, but he held his own.

Because the producers pushed Timothy Hutton, who was the freakin' lead, into the Best Supporting Actor category, where he won.

One of the blatant category fraud examples I can think of. I do wonder what Timothy's career would have been like if he had been nominated for a Best Actor Oscar like he should have been (the way Timothee Chalamet was) and he lost but still had the cachet of being nominated for Male Lead. I feel like he seemed to hit some kind of post-Oscar curse and it's a shame that his career just never really did that well, especially compared to peers like Sean Penn or Tom Cruise.

(edited)

1980 was Raging Bull and Robert DeNiro as best actor.  I never saw the film, but I don’t think anyone was going to beat him.  Timothy Hutton should have been in the lead actor nominations, and Donald should have joined Judd Hirsch in the supporting actor category.

lead actor nomination list that year:

The Elephant Man-John Hurt

Raging Bull-Robert DeNiro

Tribute-Jack Lemmon

The Stunt Man-Peter O'Toole

The Great Santini-Robert Duvall

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Donald Sutherland has always been a damned attractive man.  It's a shame he never thought so.

He's another (along with Mark Hamill) who has aged quite well.

• Love 8

I've always thought Donald Sutherland was hot, but I guess I like 'em skinny and funny looking.

I thought he deserved a nomination for Ordinary People, as well as one for his few minutes in JFK.

• Love 3
(edited)

Though I didn’t see any of the movies (and yes, that includes Get Out….I’m still trying, but a Married…with Children rerun will come on and it gets bypassed!), still enjoyed the show.

However….

Wasn’t a fan of the Christopher Plummer is old jokes it rubbed me the wrong way.

Kobe Bryant winning the Oscar with #MeToo heavy in the air was so ironic.

Pissed at Mary J. Blige not winning anything, it would have been nice for her to win just to stick it to that bum of an ex-husband.  Plus, I liked her song better than that godawful Coco track.

Eva Marie Saint looked flawless!  She, Helen Mirren and Rita Motherfucking Moreno is how you do it, ladies of today (looking at you, Taraji and Tiffany, because….did we reallllly need the coochie dresses at the Oscars?!)

Speaking of which….

Okay.  I’ma say it.  I liked Tiffany Haddish when she used to do the funny VH1 commentaries so it is nice that she’s the current It Girl, however….take it down a muhfuckin’ notch!  Was I the only one cringing at her and Maya Rudolph’s skit?  And Maya is a beautiful woman but heiffa was looking straight up Ethel Mertz frumpy!

Yes Woody Harrelson, I will have sex with you anytime, anywhere!

Jane Fonda’s face was as tight as I was when I had my first lover!  You don’t have to tighten that much, boo.

Very happy for Jordan Peele but wish Get Out had won for best picture (though I repeat, I haven’t seen it all the way through).

Wished the In Memoriam music was instrumental….Eddie Vedder’s close ups got in the way of a few of the deceased it was so annoying.  And what’s with the rug dude?

Cursed all the way through when Frances McDormand won, she’s just as smug and assholey as she was when she won Best Actress for Fargo years ago.

Donald Sutherland is sexy AF along with Bruce Dern….shocked that Donald feels unattractive.

Looking at Sam Rockwell I still see him as the bad guy in the first Charlie’s Angels, nice for his win.

The dark, filthy minded person in me giggled at Jodie Foster and the crutches....apparently Mr. Vixenstud is just as evil 'cause we both had the same response.  We are both going to Hell!

Best dressed:

Laura Dern

Whoopi Goldberg (she looked a..m..a..zing!)

Ashley Judd

Allison Janney

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 1

I just have to say that I absolutely do not want a Tiffany Haddish hosted Oscar. I don't want a whole show of her hosting period. I think Tiffany is great but her brand of loud would get on my ever loving nerves over time. Give a standout segment. I'm here for that.

• Love 12
(edited)

Aww -

Apparently, Lopez is the first person to be a double EGOT.

On another note, I wonder why any of the writeups I have seen have not mentioned that Rita Moreno altered the neckline on her dress?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Sexiest-looking  woman:  That hot young brunette in the yellow dress, whatever her name was.

Loveliest-looking woman:  Eva Marie Saint. 

My Sexiest Woman vote goes to Rita Moreno.

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Regarding supporting vs. lead actor discussions, this article is older but still interesting:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/what-makes-a-lead-actor/410617/

Good read.  I do agree that it just seems like the studios nominate someone where they think they have the best chance of winning.  One of the biggest crocks in the not too distant past was Jennifer Blahnelly in "A Beautiful Mind".  She WAS the lead female and was in most of the movie!  The movie was about the Russell Crowe character but more importantly about how what he was doing affected his wife.  Instead, she enters in Supporting because she knew she would have no chance in Lead (Sissy Spacek was the heavy favourite for the plate-breaking "In the Bedroom" until Halle Berry swooped in and surprised with the late SAG award win).  

I still resent her win, especially since I found her performance so boring.  I would have awarded the incomparable Maggie Smith as the Countess of Trentham in "Gosford Park", but I assume she was splitting votes with Helen Mirren in the same movie.

What I really want to see in the not too distant future... a Best Actress for Judi Dench (still pissed about Helen Hunt taking away her "Mrs. Brown" statue) and another Oscar for Maggie Smith.  These two Dames are world treasures and they are running out of time!

1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

I just have to say that I absolutely do not want a Tiffany Haddish hosted Oscar. I don't want a whole show of her hosting period. I think Tiffany is great but her brand of loud would get on my ever loving nerves over time. Give a standout segment. I'm here for that.

I absolutely love Tiffany Haddish and I would watch her in anything.  Love her trademark "mmmhmm".  I think she would be a hilarious host... reminiscent of Whoopi in the 90s who declared herself an "equal opportunity offender".

3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I was really rooting for that one, and I was pissed that she lost. I didn't see Million Dollar Baby, but it sounds like time hasn't exactly been kind to it, while Eternal Sunshine definitely seems to be remembered. The older I get, the more I relate to that movie. (I have the same feeling for Lost In Translation.)

Maybe his face just works better on a shorter, smaller body? Kiefer Sutherland was definitely considered attractive in the late 80's/early 90's, particularly the Lost Boys. Not as hot as Jason Patric, but he held his own.

One of the blatant category fraud examples I can think of. I do wonder what Timothy's career would have been like if he had been nominated for a Best Actor Oscar like he should have been (the way Timothee Chalamet was) and he lost but still had the cachet of being nominated for Male Lead. I feel like he seemed to hit some kind of post-Oscar curse and it's a shame that his career just never really did that well, especially compared to peers like Sean Penn or Tom Cruise.

To each his/her own, I guess, bit I never found Jason Patric at all attractive...also, I think that Ordinary People was as much about the parents as the son and Sutherland's was just as much a lead role as Hutton's (just my opinion).

Catching up...

1. This show is so much better the day after when you can fast forward through commercials, stupid stunts, and the songs.

2. A sentence I never thought I'd write: I kind of liked Nicole Kidman's dress.

3. The "thank you" montage was cleverly done and I feel mildly guilty for not seeing a movie in a theater for years. 

4. Saving Private Ryan was a good, moving film in the classic style, but Shakespeare in Love was unique, creative, inspired, and a treatise on what genius really is--the clever stealing of everything around them and molding it into a coherent insight into human nature. Gwyneth's dress at the Oscars was terrible, though.

5. Tiffany Haddish is made of joy and sunlight, I absolutely loved her interview on Colbert, but in my opinion, she is a perfect example of less being more. An entire awards show, especially one that always runs long, would be too much.

• Love 3
(edited)

Just watched the bit on YouTube where he gets emotional when recalling when he was a teenager and asked his mother if he was good looking and she responded "Your face has character." and he hid in his room the whole day. Damn. If you have to lie to your kids about that stuff, lie. The world will be cruel enough. Also someone should have told him it didn't matter because girls would go crazy for that voice!

Favorite GIFs from the night:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I cannot stand Tiffany Haddish and she and Maya Rudolph (who has never been that funny, IMO) were too much.  I turned the channel when they were on doing their shtick.  I guess Tina Fey/Amy Poehler are "out" now?  I never found them funny either.  Unfortunately, I expect to see more of Haddish and Rudolph on award shows; if so, I'll just cut away like I did last night. 

2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Okay.  I’ma say it.  I liked Tiffany Haddish when she used to do the funny VH1 commentaries so it is nice that she’s the current It Girl, however….take it down a muhfuckin’ notch! 

So it's not just me then.  

2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Cursed all the way through when Frances McDormand won, she’s just as smug and assholey as she was when she won Best Actress for Fargo years ago.

Again, thank goodness, it's not just me. : )

• Love 2

Frances McDormand's dress was made of fug.  It literally looks like a rug from an Art Deco mansion.  I think it might have been used as a piece on the set of "Clue".   How is she not landing on more Worst Dressed lists?

• Love 9
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And they also left out Rose Marie! I don't understand why Sridevi was even mentioned, since as I stated up thread last night, that she didn't even cross over to do any Hollywood movies at all. And if the Academy thought it needed to have one for diversity/international, etc., they had Shashi Kapoor, who did cross over and did six films; two I think were Hollywood, the others, British when he was much younger. Speaking as someone who is East Indian, Sridevi had no business being in the In Memoriam segment. India has its own set of film award shows, and I'm sure she'll be remembered on them.

Sridevi was possibly included because Bollywood films made in the various languages from the Indian subcontinent are widely distributed in the US.  I live in the Midwest where there's a large Indian and Pakistani immigrant population and during most of the year, most theaters show Bollywood films.  I went to see Black Panther a couple weeks ago and the theater next to it was showing a Telegu language film.  One of the local weekly papers will review notable Bollywood films on a regular basis. 

I can't think of any of the films nominated for best foreign film or ones that got some attention but weren't nominated that were shown at any first run theater this year.  Part of that is due to AMC buying out the art theater that would show the more high profile ones in late 2016.  We got The Handmaiden from South Korea and Iran's The Salesman last year, likely because their directors had more name recognition.  This year, we got nothing.  If more local theaters felt that there would be interest, I'm sure we may have gotten In the Fade and A Fantastic Woman, and maybe the Russian one.  There's a spring film fest coming up in April and we usually get some foreign language films then. 

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Amethyst said:

No David Cassidy, either.

He really wasn't known for movies, was he? He'll definitely be in the In Memoriam segment at the Emmys, though, and he was acknowledged in the IM segment at the Grammys ("I Think I Love You" was a number one hit very shortly after The Partridge Family debuted in 1970, and he recorded some music as a solo artist, too.). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He was in a recent episode of 60 Minutes where he discussed how much it bothered him that he had never been attractive. It was sad.

Donald needs to give me a call.  He won't be bothered any more!

• Love 2

I love Tiffany Haddish.  Yes, she's loud, vulgar and corny as hell but so is Jennifer Lawrence and no-one accuses Lawrence of setting White women back 20 years.  Tiffany Haddish has IT.  The camera loves her.  She brings an amazing sweetness and heart to her work. 

There was a time when Tiffany would have embarrassed me but now I realize that all of those Black men and women who fought and died for me, died for her too.  I think that Tiffany Haddish was a 'Me Too' moment.  It was for girls like her to see that their dreams could come true too.  I hope millions of loud, vulgar, corny girls said 'me too' last night.

• Love 12
On 3/4/2018 at 5:20 PM, SimoneS said:

I just saw the clip of Taraji Henson taking down Seacrest. Bwah! She is the woman!

I saw a few posts to this effect, and when I saw the clip it looked to me like she was supporting him. As it turns out she was, and she put out a statement saying just that. Also though it was edited from the clip (obviously to make it look like she was throwing shade) she gave him a big hug as well. 

• Love 3
(edited)
31 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Donald needs to give me a call.  He won't be bothered any more!

I have always been a fan, but saw a very odd interview that he gave yesterday on the red carpet.  He was being interviewed for a Canadian TV show called Etalk, by host Ben Mulroney who has been doing this for years. Ben was asking Sutherland about a particular project and Donald was treating him like he was something stuck to the bottom of his shoe. Finally Sutherland said "And you're Canadian?" and Ben said "Yes I am, I'm with CTV" (the station that owns the show). Donald looked into the camera and said "F**k off".  Ben, who I am sure has dealt with his share of assholes over the year, replied "Thank you so much sir". Donald said "Thank you" back, and walked off. It certainly took my opinion of Sutherland down a few notches. But then he gave a lovely interview to Ryan Seacrest, so there you go. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
4 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I have always been a fan, but saw a very odd interview that he gave yesterday on the red carpet.  He was being interviewed for a Canadian TV show called Etalk, by host Ben Mulroney who has been doing this for years. Ben was asking Sutherland about a particular project and Donald was treating him like he was something stuck to the bottom of his shoe. Finally Sutherland said "And you're Canadian?" and Ben said "Yes I am, I'm with CTV" (the station that owns the show). Donald looked into the camera and said "F**k off".  Ben, who I am sure has dealt with his share of assholes over the year, replied "Thank you so much sir". Donald said "Thank you" back, and walked off. It certainly took my opinion of Sutherland down a few notches. But then he gave a lovely interview to Ryan Seacrest, so there you go. 

Ben Mulroney is the son of Brian Mulroney, one of the worst prime ministers in Canadian history.  As a tv 'personality', Ben is better than he used to be but he's still pretty awful.   On the other hand, Donald is the ex-husband of Shirley Douglas who is the daughter of Tommy Douglas, a great Canadian who gave us universal healthcare.  I have no doubt that Donald knew EXACTLY who he was speaking to but, like many of us, find it hard to believe that any Mulroney is REALLY Canadian.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

T.Lo can suck an egg.  I find them supremely annoying.

15 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Is Timothee Chalamet going to have the same problem that happened to Hutton back in 1980?  

Doubtful.  Chalamet already has an impressive list of credits and seemed well-positioned for the future.  Hutton seems to have made some bad role choices -- and perhaps, at the end of the day, was of limited talent.

15 hours ago, ABay said:

4. Saving Private Ryan was a good, moving film in the classic style, but Shakespeare in Love was unique, creative, inspired, and a treatise on what genius really is--the clever stealing of everything around them and molding it into a coherent insight into human nature. Gwyneth's dress at the Oscars was terrible, though.

Word, word, and WORD.  :-)

Edited by Inquisitionist
Typo
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/4/2018 at 11:32 PM, TV Mercenary said:

All the ladies who are nominated and never won and somehow Jennifer Lawrence has two of these bad boys I will never understand nor will I ever agree. Is Jodie Foster tiny or is Jennifer Lawrence an Amazon in real life?

Jen only has one, for Silver Linings Playbook. She's been nominated four times, though, for better or worse.

It's actually Jodie who has two. :)

For those asking: Jen is 5'9, Jodie is 5'3 (just looked it up). So...both. :)

ETA: A bunch of people beat me to all of this. Sorry to beat a dead horse! ;) 

Edited by UYI
4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Is Timothee Chalamet going to have the same problem that happened to Hutton back in 1980?  

Who can predict the future of anyone?  A couple of bad movies, even if it wasn't your fault they were bad, and you never make it back to the Oscars.  At least Hutton has continued to work so, at the very least, it's likely he will support himself as an actor.   I think Chalamet is well positioned to do better than that but maybe Hutton was as well.  I was too young when he won to remember much about him.

1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I saw a few posts to this effect, and when I saw the clip it looked to me like she was supporting him. As it turns out she was, and she put out a statement saying just that. Also though it was edited from the clip (obviously to make it look like she was throwing shade) she gave him a big hug as well. 

Oh yeah.  Here's an article about the statement and the little bit of the clip that got cut off.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2018 at 11:42 PM, Alexis2291 said:

Yep. Off topic but I always use my shortness (5’0”-ish) to measure other women, especially when I’m in heels, lol. Yup, JL looks almost a foot taller than Jodie. Average height for a woman is 5’5” so they both miss the mark, lol (so do I). ?

I'm 5'4 1/2, so I miss the mark by JUST a half inch. :P 

On 3/4/2018 at 11:48 PM, wallflower75 said:

From the clips I've seen, it looks like a visually beautiful movie, but I don't get what the big deal is about it.  It's about a woman who falls in love with a fish.

Same here. It sounds like Splash but with added CGI and a heavy dose of Oscar bait thrown in for good measure. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Ben Mulroney is the son of Brian Mulroney, one of the worst prime ministers in Canadian history.  As a tv 'personality', Ben is better than he used to be but he's still pretty awful.   On the other hand, Donald is the ex-husband of Shirley Douglas who is the daughter of Tommy Douglas, a great Canadian who gave us universal healthcare.  I have no doubt that Donald knew EXACTLY who he was speaking to but, like many of us, find it hard to believe that any Mulroney is REALLY Canadian.

I didn't go into the history lesson because it is not applicable IMO. Donald did not say "F**k off" directly to Ben, he said it directly to the camera. It was inappropriate, and rude. He was speaking to viewers, not in a private conversation. He was an ass, and I have lost a lot of respect for Sutherland. He only made himself look bad, not anyone else. 

1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I saw that interview, and yes, Donald was being difficult with Ben, but Ben's questions were pretty stupid.  I actually thought initially that he was being uncooperative because he did know it was Ben.  But then when he said, and you are a Canadian, I laughed, because I genuinely thought that meant he didn't know who Ben is.  I didn't see the Fuck Off part to the camera, and I was watching live.  

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, bannana said:

I saw that interview, and yes, Donald was being difficult with Ben, but Ben's questions were pretty stupid.  I actually thought initially that he was being uncooperative because he did know it was Ben.  But then when he said, and you are a Canadian, I laughed, because I genuinely thought that meant he didn't know who Ben is.  I didn't see the Fuck Off part to the camera, and I was watching live.  

I am sure they edited it out of the live show (as there is always a delay),  but they showed the "F**k off" comment at the end of the Etalk show tonight.

I have no idea if he really didn't know who Ben was, or he did know has a poster above assumed. Either way it made Sutherland look like an ass, as there was no context to the comment, just a rude swearing into the camera. 

3 minutes ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I am sure they edited it out live, but they showed the "F**k off" comment at the end of the Etalk show tonight.....

I just watched it again and it does look like he says it, but not in a mean way.  Watching it again, I really think he  had no idea who Ben was.  Which still cracks me up.

14 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Was Mary Tyler Moore honored last year?  One article lamented her absence from the In Memorium, but I thought she was covered in 2017.

She died on January 25th, 2017, so she would have been there last year. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, bannana said:

I just watched it again and it does look like he says it, but not in a mean way.  Watching it again, I really think he  had no idea who Ben was.  Which still cracks me up.

He did laugh, and I agree with you that he did not know who Ben was. But I still don't know why he would say "F**k off" into the camera when he finds out it is a Canadian show. Maybe he was drunk/medicated or is losing it. Not a good look in any case. Especially as I thought he was pretty dismissive during the interview as well, so I didn't take it that he was joking. Had he been laughing and joking as he was during his interview with Ryan Seacreast I may have bought that he was joking. 

17 minutes ago, bannana said:

Could he have said:  Fuckin' eh!  ;)

Lol. That would have been more Canadian than what he did say, which was definitely "off". But saying it to a camera on live TV....well that just wasn't Canadian at all. : ) 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

Frances McDormand's dress was made of fug.  It literally looks like a rug from an Art Deco mansion.  I think it might have been used as a piece on the set of "Clue".   How is she not landing on more Worst Dressed lists?

My guess is that her whole "I Don't Give a Fuck About What I Wear to These Things" attitude would make a Worst Dressed list inclusion beside the point. The people wearing something they think looks hot but is actually awful? THAT'S who you include. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, UYI said:

My guess is that her whole "I Don't Give a Fuck About What I Wear to These Things" attitude would make a Worst Dressed list inclusion beside the point. The people wearing something they think looks hot but is actually awful? THAT'S who you include. 

The Oscar dress was a step up from the shapeless dark blue sack she wore at the Golden Globes, and the powder blue poly looking number with bell sleeves that she wore to the SAG awards. I absolutely love that she does not give a flying frig about what she wears, and that she has aged naturally. She was actually a pretty striking woman back in the day, and I think she still is, in a non traditional kind of way. The fact that she is 2 months older than me and looks 10 years older makes me love her even more. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Ohwell said:

expect to see more of Haddish and Rudolph on award shows; if so, I'll just cut away

Well Maya was going to be there regardless because Paul Thomas Anderson is her husband and was nominated.

Half of the time I like Tiffany half of the time I find her cringeworthy.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I love Tiffany Haddish.  Yes, she's loud, vulgar and corny as hell but so is Jennifer Lawrence and no-one accuses Lawrence of setting White women back 20 years.  Tiffany Haddish has IT.  The camera loves her.  She brings an amazing sweetness and heart to her work. 

There was a time when Tiffany would have embarrassed me but now I realize that all of those Black men and women who fought and died for me, died for her too.  I think that Tiffany Haddish was a 'Me Too' moment.  It was for girls like her to see that their dreams could come true too.  I hope millions of loud, vulgar, corny girls said 'me too' last night.

I support her. Her story is the stuff of my nightmares but she was able to rise above it. I'm proud of her. I'm not embarrassed by her as a black man. All that being said, the term less is more is made for in. In this space. She only has one mode and this a basically four hour show. That brand of loud with that energy would be way too much. I don't even think I would try to watch. I also don't think these awards shows work best with constant high energy hosts. I just cant with that. I think this is entertainment thing anyway. Like if you have a TV show with a scene stealing character, people will clamoring for a spin off or more and more screen time. Part of the reason why those characters hit so hard is because they can shine bright and fade away. Less is more. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I said that at the time. I didn't think there was anything in that clip that showed she was throwing shade. I think it was just wishful thinking on behalf of viewers who don't believe him.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, anyanka323 said:

Sridevi was possibly included because Bollywood films made in the various languages from the Indian subcontinent are widely distributed in the US.  I live in the Midwest where there's a large Indian and Pakistani immigrant population and during most of the year, most theaters show Bollywood films.  I went to see Black Panther a couple weeks ago and the theater next to it was showing a Telegu language film.  One of the local weekly papers will review notable Bollywood films on a regular basis. 

They had Shashi Kapoor for that--and he at least crossed over and was known for doing not only British films, but a few Hollywood films. Not to speak ill of the dead, but I still remain confused why the Oscars decided to include Bollywood stars this year. And why not all of the ones who died last year? Vinod Khanna was another loss. I live on the East Coast, and we have several theaters that run Bollywood movies as well, and have for many years. I guess I'll never know and now I'll stop beating this dead horse.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

It was pretty strange, especially in contrast to that OTHER Older Canadian on the red carpet, Christopher Plummer who aside from recognizing Ben, joked around with him.   Ben was tossing the normal softball questions to Donald, he answewed, but it did feel he had no idea who Ben was and I was confused by the "fuck off" remark.   Now I sort of hope they bring that up in conversation with Kiefer when Etalk does another set visit to Designated Survivor (for non Canadians, the show is filmed in Toronto and airs on CTV) in order to say "Dude, what was that aboot?" (I know it won't.) 

• Love 1

Some may find Frances McDormand quirky and off-putting at times, but I highly appreciate her shaking hands and acknowledging the trophy holders during this awards show season. She did it at the Globes and she did it at the Oscars again (and probably everything else in between). Youknow it's true when she says she will fight for all people, big and small, in the industry. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

It was pretty strange, especially in contrast to that OTHER Older Canadian on the red carpet, Christopher Plummer who aside from recognizing Ben, joked around with him.   Ben was tossing the normal softball questions to Donald, he answewed, but it did feel he had no idea who Ben was and I was confused by the "fuck off" remark.   Now I sort of hope they bring that up in conversation with Kiefer when Etalk does another set visit to Designated Survivor (for non Canadians, the show is filmed in Toronto and airs on CTV) in order to say "Dude, what was that aboot?" (I know it won't.) 

Now for the record, I don't watch Etalk and only tuned in to Monday's show because it was about the Oscars. I had seen Ben's interview somewhere though (minus the FO remark) and didn't think it was that bad - he was asking Donald about his new project which I would think he would appreciate, as opposed to the obvious questions. Mulroney did his homework and knew about his project. I am so tired of the stupid "Who are you wearing?" questions (even to men) so appreciate actually learning something new about the interviewee. Thank goodness the "who are you wearing?" question seems to be on its way out in general. 

I agree that Christopher Plummer was very sweet, even kidding that he wore his pin the way he did so Ben could straighten it for him. He is exactly how I expected Sutherland to be, but wasn't. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Some may find Frances McDormand quirky and off-putting at times, but I highly appreciate her shaking hands and acknowledging the trophy holders during this awards show season. She did it at the Globes and she did it at the Oscars again (and probably everything else in between). Youknow it's true when she says she will fight for all people, big and small, in the industry. 

I thought that was very sweet too, and was annoyed at JLaw for motioning for Frances to go to the mic when she was acknowledging those in the wings. Honey, when you have had the career that Frances has had, and earned the respect in the industry that she has, then maybe you can direct her to the mic. Until then, show some respect for someone who can act circles around you. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

I caught that also and thought it was wonderful, acknowledging all the humans standing on the stage, not just the famous ones.  

Changing topics.
Can we discuss what E! is going to do moving forward?  They've got about 6 months until the Emmys and they'd better figure out how they're going to fix the disaster that was their coverage of the Oscars.  First, why was Giuliana stationed across the street at the Roosevelt Hotel?  In past years, she had a place elsewhere on the red carpet.  Was there an "only one representative" dictate that came down from the Academy?  Giuliana usually gets a certain percentage of the arrivals on her end and holds her own quite well at the other awards' shows.  Most of the nominees/presenters seem pleased and comfortable speaking with her.   As my ABC affiliate did not show red carpet coverage until 7 p.m. EST, E! was my only option and in reading this thread from 5-7, it became apparent that Ryan Seacrest was getting very few of the arrivals to speak with in comparison to ABC.  I was only seeing many of the celebs as they exited their limos.  Regardless of how one feels about Ryan Seacrest, E! has a definite problem.

• Love 4