Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E10: The Girl Who Became Bootyful

This is probably better suited to a media thread but I couldn't find it so I thought I'd just post it here.

'America's Next Top Model' Hunk Nyle DiMarco Comes Out As Sexually Fluid

Doesn't all sex involve fluids? Just kidding. Someone sent me that too. I wish I found him attractive, darn it!

Tyra's Mary K/Avon venture is going to be the next big thing? Instead of "Avon calling", they could advertise "Booty calls". I felt sorry for the models having to spend all their Vegas time working for that company! I wonder what the real reason was for replacing Justin with Dustin? Had the ads already mistakenly listed a "D" instead of a "J", and it was too late to correct them? Was Justin unable to cross state lines? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anyway, the "drama" that somehow Hadassah would be pitted against Dustin made no sense, and now they're doing more cray by having Hadassah "let it all out" by sleezing with Mikey? I hope she's had her shots.

• Love 3

I'm glad they bounced Justin to bring Dustin back just to have Dustin crash and burn this week. Justin might have actually done a decent job and it would have saved us from hearing Mame tearily dedicate her performance to Justin. Ugh.

Mike is just so gross. Now that there's is no Ashley around, it seems like Mike and Devin aren't so friendly. I don't know what that's about because Ashley never seemed like the glue that connecting them. I think Mike realizes that Devin is a dead weight dipshit and is cutting Devin loose.

• Love 2

Tyra's video was such a joke. I felt sorry for Dustin, he's still in high school for Pete's sake. The others are all older and know their way around. Nyle isn't impressing me anymore but he is still cute. I don't find Mikey gross and at least he tries hard. 

• Love 4

WOW, that commercial thing was....um....a thing,,,I guess....was it supposed to be an ad or promotional thing?  It was kind of all over the place, but that's Tyra these days.  

Nyle can be whatever he wants with whomever he wants, as long as he takes care of that incredible face and body.  Plus, he's such a sweetheart, the only thing that matters is that he's happy.  

And Mikey is such a low-rent, busted ass cracker.  He will crash & burn precisely the way he was raised to, as soon as this competition is over.  I predict he'll be incarcerated within 8 months.  

• Love 8

Glad Mame got to see how it feels to have a bad critique.  She didn't handle it very well at all.  Loved the smackdown from Kelly.  Now maybe she won't be so full of herself.  She's starting to remind me of YaYa from cycle 2 with her over confidence and swelled head.  For some reason I like Hadassah better than her. 

Tyra was trying so hard to channel Janet Jackson in the Scream video.  Give it up Tyra.  I'm embarrassed for you.  That video sucked the big one! 

I don't even know why they bothered to have an eliminated contestant come back.  Has there ever been an eliminated contestant in any reality show contest who came back to win it all?  I don't remember any but if anyone else can recall one let me know.  Otherwise, I think it's just a waste of time.  Especially this time since he got eliminated almost as fast as he got called back. 

I think Nyle is nice looking but that is about all.  To me, his face never changes. 

I do think Mikey is gross and can't see anything model-y about him.  His face is way too narrow and makes his eyes look too close together.  The hair looks like stringy spaghetti.  Just not attractive to me.

Devin didn't make me hate him this time.  Go figure.

• Love 2

Haven't seen this yet - tech issues - but on the q of do eliminated contestants ever succeed: Kristen Kish was eliminated on Top Chef season 10, went on to Last Chance Kitchen & won that, returned & won the whole thing. On two seasons of Masterchef Australia, an eliminated contestant came back and ended up as runner up. That's off the top of my head. Ozzie didn't do it on Survivor, I don't think, but he came close, right? With this crowd, though, it was just a lazy way to extend the cheap episode run.

• Love 2

I'm posting from The Great Beyond because I died of second hand shame while watching that video. Tyra is horrible and I bet her makeup sucks.

SO EMBARRASSING!

And women can reclaim their lives with a $59 startup fee plus $14.95 monthly fees? Niiiiice...where do I sign up?

I actually found Devin likeable tonight esp. when he said "oh it really does work on all skin tones" or something. Heh.

Kelly almost bursts into flames of lust whenever she talks to Nyle.

• Love 7

I am gobsmacked from that video. First off, I have no idea what she was selling. Tyra got too much into selling herself as a perpetually overlooked music video star to notice. Secondly, what other reality TV host or even creator would use the contestants on the show to make a music video with themselves as the star selling some service or product for their personal gain.  The show should be about the contestants. Can you imagine Heidi Klum doing that? Maybe Jeff Probst and the winning tribe of the week as his video backup singers to help make his big break into country music?

Third, it was too long.

But I did like the hallway sequences.

• Love 8

Secondly, what other reality TV host or even creator would use the contestants on the show to make a music video with themselves as the star selling some service or product for their personal gain. 

ITA

She did this with her book, her music career and now this. 

• Love 6

I just finished watching and am about to head to bed, so I need to formulate my thoughts for a better response.

I will say that my cat was resting on my lap and when Tyra mentioned she was going to be the director, my cat let out the biggest yawn I've seen in a while.

• Love 4

Oh crap, she's making up words again. "Booch" and "tooch" are at least easy, short and somewhat fun to say. "Beautytainer" and "Bank$igns"....not so much.

Tyra's next ambition must be to have one of her strange new words added to the Oxford English Dictionary and Miriam-Webster. I don't think beautytainer and bank$igns are even going to make it to the Urban Dictionary, though.

• Love 3

That video!!!! There isn't a word to describe the awfulness, guess one needs to be invented.

Ty-orturous? Ty-orrible? I guess I don't have the 'talent' for inventing words like Tyra so I'll go with "sucks big time"! I couldn't believe she made herself the star and then I thought about it and decided that hell yes I could, Tyra is the ONLY star in her sky, how could she not showcase herself?!

I'm annoyed Devin remains, I'm so over his face. And everything else about him.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 8

Umm, did Tyra Banks just announce her plan to start a pyramid scheme....I mean, direct sales makeup brand?  Just no, no, no

I couldn't even watch that video, the entire thing looked really corny.  Any challenge where Mikey and Devin are in the top is not the challenge for me.

Hadassah was probably scared she was gonna catch something from kissing Mikey....I don't blame her, he always looks dirty and that hair looks like a breeding ground for lice.

• Love 9

Tyra's video was such a joke. I felt sorry for Dustin, he's still in high school for Pete's sake. The others are all older and know their way around. Nyle isn't impressing me anymore but he is still cute. I don't find Mikey gross and at least he tries hard. 

You know everytime I wanted to be annoyed with him, I just couldn't.  He is clearly just a kid, a very sweet kid but a kid doing kid like things.

In a few years, he will have matured and I think he could really be something.  I hope he made it back in time for prom and graduation.

Nyle is beautiful, and Tyra's stupidity managed to make him look corny as hell.

Glad Mame got to see how it feels to have a bad critique.  She didn't handle it very well at all.  Loved the smackdown from Kelly.  Now maybe she won't be so full of herself.  She's starting to remind me of YaYa from cycle 2 with her over confidence and swelled head.  For some reason I like Hadassah better than her. 

Tyra was trying so hard to channel Janet Jackson in the Scream video.  Give it up Tyra.  I'm embarrassed for you.  That video sucked the big one! 

I don't even know why they bothered to have an eliminated contestant come back.  Has there ever been an eliminated contestant in any reality show contest who came back to win it all?  I don't remember any but if anyone else can recall one let me know.  Otherwise, I think it's just a waste of time.  Especially this time since he got eliminated almost as fast as he got called back. 

I think Nyle is nice looking but that is about all.  To me, his face never changes. 

I do think Mikey is gross and can't see anything model-y about him.  His face is way too narrow and makes his eyes look too close together.  The hair looks like stringy spaghetti.  Just not attractive to me.

Devin didn't make me hate him this time.  Go figure.

Mikey's dog was better looking.

I like Hadassah better too.  She takes critcism well, and she is flawed but she owns it.

She is sort of bitchy in a Naomi Campbell way, and I love Naomi Campbell.

I'm posting from The Great Beyond because I died of second hand shame while watching that video. Tyra is horrible and I bet her makeup sucks.

SO EMBARRASSING!

And women can reclaim their lives with a $59 startup fee plus $14.95 monthly fees? Niiiiice...where do I sign up?

I actually found Devin likeable tonight esp. when he said "oh it really does work on all skin tones" or something. Heh.

I can't help but be amused everytime Kelly talks to Nyle, he is going to need a restraining order.

I am gobsmacked from that video. First off, I have no idea what she was selling. Tyra got too much into selling herself as a perpetually overlooked music video star to notice. Secondly, what other reality TV host or even creator would use the contestants on the show to make a music video with themselves as the star selling some service or product for their personal gain.  The show should be about the contestants. Can you imagine Heidi Klum doing that? Maybe Jeff Probst and the winning tribe of the week as his video backup singers to help make his big break into country music?

Third, it was too long.

But I did like the hallway sequences.

Heidi pimps out her ridiculous crap plenty on PR and I'm sure if they let her she would dedicate a video to whatever she is selling.

I feel like Tyra gets away with a lot though.

Oh crap, she's making up words again. "Booch" and "tooch" are at least easy, short and somewhat fun to say. "Beautytainer" and "Bank$igns"....not so much.

Tyra's next ambition must be to have one of her strange new words added to the Oxford English Dictionary and Miriam-Webster. I don't think beautytainer and bank$igns are even going to make it to the Urban Dictionary, though.

Wasn't it sweet how they added the definition at the bottom, as if it somehow made her made up words legit?

• Love 4

SO EMBARRASSING!

I checked out her line last season and it honestly seemed very boring. Overpriced cosmetics with stupid names. That smack my fat lash mascara reminds me of Prodigy's "Smack my bitch up". But seriously, make up line with two shades of lipstick and few colors of eye make up? (I admit, I am sucker of cheap make-up from Asian markets in Prague and there is no color I would not put on besides maybe nude and tan, casue they are boring. Still... why not have more colors and stuff?).

I am so annoyed Devin stayed. No serious company would want him to be making that stupid thing wiht his face in their commercial. It's not fashion. It's what kids make in kindergarden and teachers tell them "don't do it, or your face will stuck in that grimace". Well, looking at Devin, it CAN happen.

The episode was mess overall. Jumping to pool as a challenge? At least the jumping challenge in Hawaii made sense. I am actually happy for Haddasah that they managed to get a shot of her before that dress-of-sabotage covered her face.

I am actually starting to like Hadassah. She is kinda good looking. So is Mame. I am was worried Nyle would get the boot, but luckily he stays. Honestly out of this 6, I am happy with any of them winning, besides Devin.

So Mikey has no girl? Hmmmmmmm. What a sleezebag. Last week he wanted to ditch the challenge and find a hotel to bang Ashley and now?

The final video is horrible. The song is a mess, there is way too much going on. I am suprised Tyra didn't want to sing it herself.

• Love 2

Hadassah's attitude had been improving but now she is all 1000% affronted that Dustin came back?  Like he was ever going to be anyone's threat?  I loved the way he dissed her when he left, and started the hugging with the next person in line.  She seriously has the best body in many cycles of this show.  

Lacey and Mame are waning and Mikey may win.  He never gets criticized.  When he had his hair tucked back at panel it made him look surprisingly handsome.

I love the way everyone but farmboy Dustin felt free to say that basically they'd rather stay in LA and go to the movies than to Vegas.  They aren't going overseas are they?  I wonder if at the pre-show intake they asked "But aren't I required to obtain a passport?" and the producer's assistant said, "Um, why don't you just bring your license and a bag of quarters."  The best thing about this show is delineating it's decline in quality of models and production budget each cycle.

I will never get tired of Miss J hollering out drag queen references to the especially "fluid" male contestants.

• Love 6

That video was totally pot ledom.  Actually it wasn't that bad, but the gulf in age between Tyra and the models is showing way more than it did 10 yrs ago for "Shake Ya Bawdy Bawdy", and she just looked like tryhard Kris Jenner to the younger girls.  

You guys, I may have to turn in my gay card, because Nyle does nothing for me.  Objectively, he is hot, but there is something extremely childlike about him.  He's always grinning and slack jawed.  I half expect drool to be running down his chin.  He was good in the video because he was game for Tyra's stupid direction... poor Dustin knew how stupid he would look and couldn't let himself go.  It's like somebody forgot to remind him that Top Model is a dignity free zone.

• Love 4

The best part of the video was how badly Tyra lip synched her own tracks.

I laughed out loud when Tyra told Hadassah that's she's taken some great photos. I'm enjoying her as a contestant, but her portfolio stinks.

So the makeup line is like Amway? Why didn't she call it Tyway?

• Love 6

I think Nyle is nice looking but that is about all. To me, his face never changes.

And it doesn't have to, as far as I'm concerned. 

Mikey did a good job with the hairography in the video, but that's about it. 

The video was laughable, to say the least, but at least Nyle made lemonade out of lemons.

• Love 3

Tyra using this show to promote an Amway-style pyramid scheme is amazingly crazy.

That Vegas hotel was beat! No wonder I've never heard of it. And so much for the Vegas fashion industry. Did they vacant pool party count?

Nyle is too much of a grinning, sunny side dope for me to get into. I stand by my initial assessment that there's something off about him.

Tyra's shots of herself in the video had enough Vaseline on the lens to make me think I had wandered into a soap opera dream sequence.

• Love 3

Nyle is too much of a grinning, sunny side dope for me to get into. I stand by my initial assessment that there's something off about him.

Again, similar to what I said to DRIVINGSIDEWAYS, I don't think you are under ANY obligation to like or enjoy how he looks or how he models, just because he's deaf.

But do we have any real proof that he's unintelligent? "Dope" is a pretty clear term saying you think he is.

Even the small addition of two words makes a difference. If you're saying he LOOKS LIKE a dope that's totally different from saying he IS one (and you used "is").

As for him being "off"? I realize it's a sufficiently vague term it could mean anything. I get the sense here that maybe it means you think he's being insincere. If so, that's a fair criticism, even if unsupported. Unlike the "dope" stuff it's not about something he can't control (his deafness or how he's forced to express himself because of that). I don't agree he's being insincere, but if that IS what you mean, I can at least see how some of what he's doing could be interpreted that way.

• Love 4

I don't think everyone occupies a space where going on a reality show--even one as corrupt and destructive as this one can be--means they are automatically stupid. Naive, perhaps, but that's very different from being stupid.

Even if he winds up a pseudo-celebrity and not a real model from this show, that doesn't mean Nyle might not legitimately see that as an opportunity he might not have otherwise had. A devil's bargain, to be sure, but again not realizing that can be naive more than genuinely stupid.

That's different than him being judged as dim or childlike due to his expressions, as a few people have said they're doing. Those facial expressions and ways of expressing himself may indeed make him unsuitable as a working model, and I suppose I could even see it making him aesthetically unpleasing to some, and yes, it's not unfair or probably not out of line in my opinion to say that makes him "suck" as a model. But again, that has little to do with judging him as inherently a dope for even being on the show in the first place. That's a nice breezy statement to make overall, and I fully admit to have jokingly said similar stuff in the past about other people on other reality shows, but TOGETHER with the criticisms of his looks as "slack jawed" and similar things that have been said by various people, I think a more careful look at his possible motivations is warranted, or it's just pounding away at the guy from all sides.  That's all I'm saying here. Don't confuse his looks (or your interpretation of his looks) with his actual intelligence.  All we really know about that is in his typed messages that his phone or interpreter translates, his language skill seems fairly normal, and  his observations seem fairly mature.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

Nyle is fine to me but I can see how others would not agree. Who cares? I feel like there is no need to have any kind of deep conviction about any contestant that would volunteer for this or any other reality show but that's just my take.

For all the talk about how young Dustin was, isn't Lacey also 18?

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1

Hey Kromm, I do understand what you're saying and I hesitated talking about Nyle lest it be interpreted as saying he was "slow" because of his disability.  But it's not like Nyle is the first deaf person I've ever seen.  He is just... goofy.  There's no sexiness or smoldering from him.  But please don't interpret it as an undercover slam on his deafness.  He's inspiring, just corny to me :-)

I want to approach my reply (but to be clear it IS a criticism of your statement) carefully, because I don't want to falsely seem to be accusing you of any kind of bias or prejudice. I honestly don't think that's the case here.

Hey Kromm, I do understand what you're saying and I hesitated talking about Nyle lest it be interpreted as saying he was "slow" because of his disability.  But it's not like Nyle is the first deaf person I've ever seen.  He is just... goofy.  There's no sexiness or smoldering from him.  But please don't interpret it as an undercover slam on his deafness.  He's inspiring, just corny to me :-)

It's just bad word choice then. "Corny" is a pretty fair word, in my opinion, as so is "goofy"--I'm undecided if I agree but it seems like a very valid point of view. "Childlike" and "slack jawed" both can mean too many other things though. 

Edited by Kromm

Mikey is just like the guy who won last year whose name I can never remember. He's super basic, never tries, face never changes, and yet he'll probably win. I thought he did terrible in the video and he gets a 10 from Tyra? His hair was covering his face half the time and he didn't seem to do much else. I don't care for Devin but at least he worked that hallway. 

I was terrified for Nyle - he got the tragic backstory, a bad challenge score, and yet another spoken/music video shoot? His face doesn't change much, but I enjoy looking at his face so I can give him a pass because I'm shallow and this is a show that allows a man with a fake beard to get far so it's not so serious. At least there's something there rather than the blank space that is Mikey's face. And Hadassah. I think Nyle is smiley because he still has first episode feelings - when they were all excited to be there. The rest have been beaten down because of their insanity and fights and backstabbing and gossip, and he seems relatively out of that both because, like Lacey, they can be adults, but also by being deaf he's not hearing every tiny bitch the rest of the contestants have. 

I want to like Mame because she is good, but good lord she hates everything all the time. And I immediately judge people when they claim "this is for [eliminated contestant who I knew for a month]". Win for yourself! Jesus. 

• Love 1

A nightmare woke me up three hours into falling asleep. I blame the video.

All I can think right now is 'what the hell did I watch?'

I didn't mind seeing Don again. I like his natural hair color, instead of the bleach Tyover. It's nice to see that being on the show gave him extra visibility for his DJ career. Also, he made some spot on assessments about the current crop of modeltestants. Maybe they should give Don Kelly's job? Or even Tyra's.

• Love 5

It also occurred to me that not only the TYPE of shoot, but also Tyra herself was egging Nyle on with over the top movement and expressions in this shoot.  We saw her egging him on exactly in that direction--to go bigger and bigger I mean. We saw her do it BOTH days of the shoot.

Dustin was SO boring looking when they were praising him on set. It never even remotely made sense.  And we got to see Mikey be a douche again, when he was describing Hadassah as "a kid in the candy store" just because she has the privilege to kiss his slimy mouth.  What a surprise (not).

Mikey is that guy. The guy who just constantly seems like he needs to be punched.

It's interesting that Lacey is clearly the main character in that horrible video. She doesn't necessarily have the most screentime, but she's got the only line spoken, she interacts directly with Tyra when the others mostly don't, and the point of view is supposed to be her character's.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

I think that one of the other issues with Nyle in these sorts of "acting/modelling" challenges is that ASL is very different from spoken English. Facial expressions and body position actually impact the syntax and tone of what is being signed. I imagine that Nyle is keeping his tone as inoffensive as possible because the the tone of what he's signing is inoffensive (well, offensive to me but inoffensive to the larger public). So while Tyra may want intensity and ferocity, they may be incompatible with how ASL works. All of this indicates that he may be a fairly garbage "model" in the Tyra sense, but might be decent in print work or acting.

• Love 3

Can't believe someone who's booked more go sees gets eliminated and that dog photo I don't believe was Justin's best photo. I do believe at times Tyra doesn't pick the best photo.

More damn product placement for that damn phone. Ugh. 

Oy vey Tyra and her damn Tyra-isms, they annoy me to no damn end. I'm really not a fan of everyone that slaps their name in front of words to try and make a new word. Like it's going to go viral and everyone on the planet will start saying it. Has Tyra not learned from her "Shake Your Body" fiasco. She might wanna leave music videos alone. The song didn't do much for me.

Devin and Hadassah continue to be annoying. They just bug me to no end with their constant need to talk about everyone. They're no better than Bello.

This season has not have that many likeable people except for Nyle, Lacey, Justin, and Dustin (maybe biased on Dustin). Maybe they just choose to highlight the annoying people more. 

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 2

Dustin came off as real douche though. I mean even if he had a point about Hadassah, and even if production milked those comments out of him, what remains is still him shit talking about someone.  

I think that one of the other issues with Nyle in these sorts of "acting/modelling" challenges is that ASL is very different from spoken English. Facial expressions and body position actually impact the syntax and tone of what is being signed.

That's really interesting and now I want to understand how and why more, here I come google.

I forgot to mention, love Don and think he's far hotter than all the guys from this season...oops "cycle" put together!!

EDIT: I give Dustin kind of a pass for shitting on Hadasah because she was downright hostile about everything having to do with him and shat all over him the whole (short) time he was back. She's pretty much shit on everyone the whole time. Can't stand her, redemption edit or not. She's a primadonna.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2

Mikey may be a jerk IRL and/or on this edited reality show, but imo he seems like the best model (looks, photos, walk, versatility, etc). I know most posters dislike him and I'm not a fan of some of his "sections" on the show but I like his photos (and his hallway scene in the "video"). I doubt he will make it much longer on the show since next week he says stuff about wanting a threesome.

I miss when the show was about modeling and not about the models.

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 2

Fuck you, Tyra.  Sending Justin home had to be so pre-planned.  Justin booked 3 go sees so he should've been one of the higher scores coming out of the challenge.  No way Devin's weird, eccentric photo was scored high enough to displace Justin legitimately.  I hate this show so much but can't turn away.

• Love 6

For me the only entertaining thing about that "music video" was knowing that Tyra thinks it's actual good music. No substance whatsoever and those poor models had to pretend to like it. Can't ever let the Tyra think she's not the most brilliant creature ever to grace their presence or she will whip out her lizard tongue and eat them in one clean snap. Anyway, I digress. Dustin is beautiful. Just ridiculously sexy piece of 18 year old almost jailbait. I don't see why people get down on him. He's a child. To be honest, he carries himself very well and mature for his age. And he's beyond yummy. Mame, Devin and Mikey all act much more immature than him. No way in hell did Devin out perform Dustin this week in any way at all. Or Anyone else for that matter. His being kept around is shameless shennaniganery and is annoying because the guy isn't the least bit compelling. At least Bello was bat shit crazy, promising some interesting moments. Anyhoozer, Dustin has a future in modeling or being an honorary Hemsworth if he wants one and has a lot of time to figure it out, so it's not sad he didn't win. Besides, this is clearly the Nyle show and that is perfectly fine. Whatever platform he needed to enter my line of vision is quite acceptable. And apparently he's bisexual and in Los Angeles. I'm gonna wait for traffic to die down and then drive up there and get on that. Happy Saturday.

Edited by Adusk81
  • Love 3

I call BS on Nyle being so far down on the call out list this week. I thought he was by far the best on the video. And I thought the results on the "dive" challenge were pretty close (with the exception of one of the hamsters who escapes me off the top of my head). 

I was happy to see the return of Don, aka "Jesse Williams Lite." Especially without the "peed on snow" hair.

And I am going to say something that may permanently relegate me to the Siberia of this thread ... I actually didn't think the video sucked as badly as songs/videos of the past (Pot Ledom, e.g.). Let me clarify ... TyTy sucked and the song isn't going to be something I download from iTunes, but I actually -- surprisingly -- enjoyed the hamsters' individual performances much more than I would have imagined. 

Still definitely Team Mame and Team Nyle. 

• Love 5

I want to approach my reply (but to be clear it IS a criticism of your statement) carefully, because I don't want to falsely seem to be accusing you of any kind of bias or prejudice. I honestly don't think that's the case here.If I'm being honest though, I think you're operating under some kind of misinterpretation of how he communicates and are unintentionally infantilizing him. Just because he has to make broad expressions sometimes to communicate, that's not "slack jawed" or indicative of any lack of maturity (and both "childlike" and "slack jawed" also imply a lack of intelligence--again, even if you didn't mean it that way). It's just different, not immature or unintelligent. In fact, he comes off as extremely intelligent when we hear his actual words. None of this is saying you have to love (or even LIKE) how he comes off as a model either. The visual look of what he does need not please you--to imply it has to would be political correctness gone mad. I'm just asking that you consider how you interpret and describe your issues with his appearance that's all.

Nyle's "actual words" come off as "extremely intelligent" to you? Not just intelligent, but "extremely" so? Example(s) please. I must have turned away and missed the moment when he said he wanted to come up with a theory that explains everything. Lol.

What one calls "broad expressions" may be another person's "slack jawed." This is a modeling competition. It is focused on looks. If someone is walking around with slack in their jaw, I think it's fair game to call them "slack jawed." Regardless of the negativity you may read into it, if an aesthetic criticism is true, it is fair game.

I don't think everyone occupies a space where going on a reality show--even one as corrupt and destructive as this one can be--means they are automatically stupid. Naive, perhaps, but that's very different from being stupid.

Even if he winds up a pseudo-celebrity and not a real model from this show, that doesn't mean Nyle might not legitimately see that as an opportunity he might not have otherwise had. A devil's bargain, to be sure, but again not realizing that can be naive more than genuinely stupid.

That's different than him being judged as dim or childlike due to his expressions, as a few people have said they're doing. Those facial expressions and ways of expressing himself may indeed make him unsuitable as a working model, and I suppose I could even see it making him aesthetically unpleasing to some, and yes, it's not unfair or probably not out of line in my opinion to say that makes him "suck" as a model. But again, that has little to do with judging him as inherently a dope for even being on the show in the first place. That's a nice breezy statement to make overall, and I fully admit to have jokingly said similar stuff in the past about other people on other reality shows, but TOGETHER with the criticisms of his looks as "slack jawed" and similar things that have been said by various people, I think a more careful look at his possible motivations is warranted, or it's just pounding away at the guy from all sides.  That's all I'm saying here. Don't confuse his looks (or your interpretation of his looks) with his actual intelligence.  All we really know about that is in his typed messages that his phone or interpreter translates, his language skill seems fairly normal, and  his observations seem fairly mature.

So... Nyle chose to be on a modeling reality show, but he's in a habit of making facial expressions that make him unsuitable to be a successful model...on the show that's about modeling? Isn't this enough to make a judgment about his intelligence? Presumably he has the natural looks to be a working model, but if he's sabotaging himself with goofy and childlike expressions, he's not a very smart, or might I say "intelligent," when it comes to his approach to modeling. It's not fair to say that "all we...know" about Nyle's intelligence can be derived from what he writes or signs through his interpreter. That is neutralizing everything he does and focusing exclusively on what he says. I think many of us would prefer to be judged on what we say as opposed to how it aligns with what we do, but that's not really how life works. By the logic of the above post, Nyle doesn't seem to be making smart modeling decisions. Thus, he may be unintelligent.

It also occurred to me that not only the TYPE of shoot, but also Tyra herself was egging Nyle on with over the top movement and expressions in this shoot.  We saw her egging him on exactly in that direction--to go bigger and bigger I mean. We saw her do it BOTH days of the shoot.

Dustin was SO boring looking when they were praising him on set. It never even remotely made sense.  And we got to see Mikey be a douche again, when he was describing Hadassah as "a kid in the candy store" just because she has the privilege to kiss his slimy mouth.  What a surprise (not).

Mikey is that guy. The guy who just constantly seems like he needs to be punched.

It's interesting that Lacey is clearly the main character in that horrible video. She doesn't necessarily have the most screentime, but she's got the only line spoken, she interacts directly with Tyra when the others mostly don't, and the point of view is supposed to be her character's.

Dustin came off as real douche though. I mean even if he had a point about Hadassah, and even if production milked those comments out of him, what remains is still him shit talking about someone.

See, I don't get this. Why is it ok to say that Dustin was a boring-looking douche, and that Mikey was being a douche who seems to deserve being punched, but it's not ok to say or even imply that Nyle might be less than fully mature or intelligent? Why, because it's perceived that people are "just pounding away at [Nyle] from all sides?" I would beg to differ. I think the comments and feedback toward Nyle have been overwhelmingly positive. I like him. And I don't particularly like Dustin or Mikey. By volunteering to go on a reality show, Nyle is opening himself up for criticism that he is slack-jawed and childlike and looks like he is about to have a line of drool coming from his mouth. Just because someone doesn't agree with it doesn't make it invalid or beyond the pale.

I could argue that Dustin was not a boring-looking douche, and I could make a million excuses for him--he's still in high school, so you can't expect him to be as mature as everyone else; maybe he was acting "douchey" because he just re-entered the competition and he was feeling hostility from the others that we haven't seen on camera, and maybe he only seems douchey because he hasn't been in the house as long as the others, so perhaps we don't know him enough...and are you sure he's boring-looking and you're not just lumping him in with blonde, generic-looking white male models?

But I'm not going to nit-pick the snark, because I think that defeats the purpose.

• Love 3

I have a raging hatred for MLMs, aka Pyramid Schemes, so I'm pretty disgusted with Tyra right now. So much so, that I actually forgot to pay attention to the "models" during the rest of the episode.

• Love 3

I've never associated the concept of empowerment with consumerism, but I suppose it could be.  I'm also a bit thrown by the concept of finding your natural beauty and feminine power in makeup.  But, I'm not a woman, so...maybe?  The whole thing was kind of gross to me, but also impressive in its way because Tyra is relentless with her tyra-isms (which flowed nicely from the thread about last week's show), and she's sort of ruthless in her exploitation of the dreams of young people for personal gain.  First practicing to be a talk show host, the infamous music video (remember how she said she'd be working on music for years? good times!), the book, and now...the scheme/makeup line.  There's nothing she won't use them for and it's scary-impressive to me.

Sucks they had to hire two real models.  Why didn't they just go to Vegas sooner?  The room was big enough, they rode in a bus.

I need PR Maven Kelly Cutrone to explain to me how that music video- which seemed to be using two unrelated songs with a pretty good hook in one of them, imho- is good PR for whatever Tyra's makeup line is called.  What about that is supposed to lure me into buying and/or selling the product?  Is it aspirational? Am I to identify with the Lacey character (which- interesting they chose the young white model to play that part)?  She said she'd buy whatever Mike was selling so, um, is she shilling this stuff now?  

And as far as Nyle goes, since that's the main conversation here, what throws me is that he is sometimes slightly cross-eyed.  That makes me think of him as slightly younger, is how I'd phrase it, but I'm rooting for him to win because he seems cool and is attractive.  I didn't fully get how he stayed on beat so well either, and I'd love to learn his technique so I can teach it to my boyfriend.  

Oh!- Devin had to stay over Justin because he was cast as the flamboyant makeup artist in the video.  If he weren't there, who could have done that?

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 2
Has Tyra not learned from her "Shake Your Body" fiasco. She might wanna leave music videos alone. The song didn't do much for me.

Whooooooah there. I just want us all to acknowledge that 'Shake Ya Body' was, excuse me, is a classic. Tyra licking that microphone is iconic. 'Shake Ya Body' is a low-key bop. That being said, 'Bootyful' is-- to be kind-- a weak follow-up. One thing I'll give Tyra, however, is that she knows a damn earworm when she hears one. "Work the hallway like a runway!" will have to be exorcised from my memory.

Otherwise, what a waste of an episode. There was no point to the comeback. Stefano would have gotten my vote, and I bet he or Justin (who shouldn't have left in the first place) would have made it through to the next round. Still, I appreciate that the episode was an actual modeling task that could occur in the real world. I could get over the lack of international travel if they had to travel to various locations in a short time span late in the competition to complete various model assignments. A two day music video shoot in Vegas, a swimwear campaign in Miami and take the red eye back to LA for a catalogue shoot the next day and then judging-- that would be great.

• Love 5

Who was the blonde girl in the video? So confused.

I assumed that she's a model extra. I guess she needed some pocket change and free snacks.

I can't think of any other reasons for someone to subject him/herself to this dreck.

• Love 1