Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: Crew's All In

• Start Topic

sinkwriter, on 09 Oct 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

A friend of mine just texted me this: "What is Swapnil packing up at the end? He's one of the ones that didn't bring any tools with him." 

LOL. Fair point.

Did anyone notice that Merline was using scissors with her initials on them?  They must have gotten them somewhere.

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 2

So, I kind of think we saw over the last few weeks why Swapnil isn't already a household name in India. He's clearly very talented. I've always been under the impression he was somewhat successful at home, but not like someone whose name is well known. Essentially, I don't think he has the success of Rami, for example, prior to coming to Project Runway. And I'm wondering if it's because he's not working non-stop to make it happen despite it seeming like he had a number of clients at home. Does he come from money? I could believe that because I'm just not clear where his innovation and effort have disappeared to. This is a chance of a lifetime to get exposure that you basically can't buy. Why give up after a few weeks in? I assume he has seen the show, I assume he knew this wasn't merely a 6 week challenge and then home to design for Fashion Week. He did great, magnificent really, for about 6 weeks, but not so much since. He seems to work when he wants and the situation, but the opportunity here, isn't making him go all out and just survive even if he's running on fumes because this isn't an opportunity he can pass up.

I have mixed feelings about this sentiment.  In some ways, its true, a designer can get national exposure from the show that they couldn't otherwise get.  However, that can be a mixed blessing.  With mostly one day challenges, what a designer will expose to the world is more than likely going to be an absolute shitshow because they don't have enough time anymore to really do a great job.  I suspect that the pool of super talented applicants has dropped dramatically.  I mean, if you're just at the start of your career do you really want to risk showing the world something you had to make in 8 hours?  Is that what you really want the world to see?

I think the national exposure is great if you can manage to do a good job and show some design talent.  Heck, I think even Korina/Michelle/Leyana (three of the biggest bitches on the show IMO) were able to find opportunities from the show.  Maybe even Ven (the biggest asshole on the show IMO).  But, how can Blake live down that saggy boob disaster he sent down the runway a few weeks ago?  No matter how talented Laurie is, she basically sent a model down the runway in boob covers and then sent her down the runway again topless.  

So, I don't know if the national exposure this show is giving the designers is really all that great because they are set up to fail.

As for Swapnil's popularity, I remember seeing something that made me believe that he was actually on the panel for some Project Runway style show in India so he might be more well known there than we think.

Did anyone notice that Merline was using scissors with her initials on them?  They must have gotten them somewhere.

Really?  Didn't she *gasp**pearl clutch* forget her kit at home?  I can't believe she was actually somehow able to get her own scissors somewhere in NYC!

• Love 8

He's made plenty of outfits with the arms covered (he's had jackets aplenty) and he's done dresses where the legs were covered (think of the leopard piece last week).

Am I going insane? The only one I remember is the puffy wrap from last week. Yes, you could make exactly what the client asks for and then get called a seamstress, not a designer. It really seemed like his model resisted every choice he made. I forgot about the zippers on the sleeves.

Why give up after a few weeks in? I assume he has seen the show, I assume he knew this wasn't merely a 6 week challenge and then home to design for Fashion Week. He did great, magnificent really, for about 6 weeks, but not so much since. He seems to work when he wants and the situation, but the opportunity here, isn't making him go all out and just survive even if he's running on fumes because this isn't an opportunity he can pass up.

I happened to read this in his bio while looking for (non-existent) jacket photos on the website but he said that he tried out 4 times and has wanted this for 10 years. Maybe he just got burned out and was not ready to play the game seeing how far the show has fallen from what it used to be.

I don't understand all these girls obsession with arms and that's speaking as someone who doesn't show hers much either. But I could and I assure you, the world would keep going on even if I was on PR in a sleeveless dress.

For real though.

• Love 3

Am I going insane? The only one I remember is the puffy wrap from last week. Yes, you could make exactly what the client asks for and then get called a seamstress, not a designer. It really seemed like his model resisted every choice he made. I forgot about the zippers on the sleeves.

No, you're not going insane, saying he's made jackets aplenty is incorrect. No idea where that impression came from. Swapnil's made mostly sleeveless clothes but has had shawls for his models a few times, those don't amount of jackets. Calling last week's garment a jacket is a stretch to me as well.

• Love 2

It's been pointed out a few times in this discussion that the PR crew should have been more relaxed and into it since it's just a one-time outfit.  And, I can see that a couple, Swapnil's in particular, were a little bit much to deal with.  But isn't part of being a designer being a salesperson, convincing people that they should wear (and would look great in) the clothes you make?  Did any of these designers put much effort into doing that?  

Might not have worked, since the crew has seen these designers in action for awhile, but it never hurts to blow a little smoke and try to make the client feel good.  I felt like that didn't happen at all, really.

• Love 5

It's bad enough when Zac paws the real models during the judging examination. It's not appropriate for him to have his hands all over the bodies of the crew models, pulling up the back of the dress, etc. He can touch the fabric without immediately going for the breasts.

He also looked ridiculous in that double-breasted suit with the teeny jacket that gapped when he buttoned it.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 10

The Sawpnil auf has been set up for weeks. With all the hooplah over Edmund having applied for PR since the very first season, it seemed to me he was the predesignated winner. When Swapnil never won, was never even told any of his losses were a very close decision, and seemed to take it so well, I could not help but think he had been cast in the role of the possible spoiler for the favored child, then as if on cue, started throwing it all away as would be necessary to get rid of him...Now with only some very lackluster competition (Merline? seriuosly?), Kelly is suddenly the possible come from behind dark horse. This has become far too predictable and I am totally disappointed in the season. I have to finally say, for me PR has jumped the shark and needs to be put away. I don't know where the responsibility lies - perhaps with the move to Lifetime. But now that Rachel Zoe also has a show on Lifetime I found it very interesting that it, too, seems to have settled for a cheaper presentation.  I've watched a couple of her shows and I really miss the format she used on Bravo. In any event, I won't be watching either of them. Maybe I can find a rereun of PR early seasons and relive the fun and fashion of Jay and Santino,  Austin Scarlet and Andre and all the folks who made the show worth watching - hell, at this point I'd take Wendy Pepper over what's left of this year's 'designers'...

ETA; spelling errors

Edited by becauseIsaidso
  • Love 15

If Ashley had been cut, Tim would have rescused her. She is way too much a cry baby. And that dress is close to the worst thing I have ever seen. Ever. That poor girl. See how Ashley did when she did not have the most beautiful model ever?? So much for her full-size speciality, which I have never really seen.

So much other crap to critique, so little time, so I'll start with this. I'm totally over Ashley as well. Her aesthetic shown so far is immature, blinding in its tacky fabric choices, and proof that she knows or cares nothing about the larger plus size market. As someone somewhat close to her crew member's body type (closer to hers than Ashley's) I can tell her that the LAST thing most of us want is tight, constricting fabrics (not saying boxy or baggy, but not sausage-casing tight, like both pieces she made last night). We also sure as hell don't want a freakin' PEPLUM expanding our hips.

And for the love of Dior, STEP AWAY FROM THE EASTER EGG LAVENDER.

I've been holding that in all night. :)

(Edited because subject/verb agreement is a noble thing.)

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 18

One really appreciates professional models after having to sit through some of these real-life models. The non-professionals bring all their body hangups to the process (as would I probably).

Swapnil's flameout was bizarre. He had dark circles under his eyes and after his runway critique he apparently FELL ASLEEP in a room full of people, with cameras. Tim's angry rant seemed very personal, and insulting (I cringed), as did Swapnil's silent departure from the lounge.

I didn't care for any of the looks and realize I've felt this way for most of the episodes this season.

However, Kelly looked very pretty during the runway show.

Please get rid of crybaby Ashley. Her taste level is questionable.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4

Ashley could have done a simple wrap-dress in a decent fabric and color and probably would have received kudos from heaven. Instead, she concocts, tears streaming all the while, the world's ugliest and most unflattering dress in fabrics so awful I thought she had to be joking at first. Like comic relief or something. Except I don't think she has a sense of humor. Just tears.

They should have just gone down to three, leaving only Merlene, Kelly amd Edmond this week. Candice is a one-trick pomy with bad taste. I kind of wish Swapnil had quit on his own last week, this was painful to watch. I hated seeing Tim's tantrum and as always, wonder if it was really "organic" or part of the "plot". He seemed so uncomfortable while performing it.

I hated the shaven hair style on Kelly's model, that is so over if it ever had more than a tiny minute. It dated her for me as soon as she flung her hair. And yes, the judges had never seen overalls in their lives before lol...

• Love 8

The big tell for me was at the beginning of the episode some of the crew models stated who they wanted to work with and who they wanted to avoid. Kelly was a popular choice it seems. So, some of these women were very concerned when first placed with their designers and that's why they started the conversation with what they didn't want as they have seen the designers week after week produce designs that the crew did not like or knew they would be uncomfortable with.

Secondly, designers have to design for their clients. Swapnil's client stated that she did not want a bombshell look, and that she wanted coverage. Had Swapnil listened to her, he would not have had to make three outfits. She became more and more distraught and at the end she wasn't really making sense, but she was much clearer at the beginning. Merlene's client specifically stated that she did not want a boxy look because she felt that was pretty much all Merlene made. It only took two looks for Merlene to listen a bit. And Ashley's poor client was clear from the beginning as well-sleeves and a flowy skirt. Really not that hard and yet Ashley demonstrated that she has no idea how to design anything other than a circle skirt. I wonder if Ashley's "I want to design for plus size women" statements were only used as a hook to get on the show. As has been previously mentioned, Ashley doesn't show an understanding of how to dress plus size women in a flattering way for her own self, why would we think she could do it for others? I am plus sized and used to sew when I was younger. It's not an unknown process. Also, colors and prints do matter. Ashley should have been the second auf.

I hope Edmund wins just because he seems to have so much joy in being on the show. Kelly for second place. The commercial about the breast cancer quilt showed some designers from the past who I enjoyed and wish were on this season.

• Love 7

I think Swapnil is/was on something. On a two day challenge, which every designer complains they want more of because they never have enough time, Swapnil wasted over half the time. Almost like he was on something early in the season, but didn't bring enough to make it through the whole thing?

I think Tim was frustrated. As a person who loves to use salty language herself, I actually thought Tim's outburst came out of caring for him. He thinks of them as his children. When your adult kid gives you a line of BS - your job is to call him on it. And that is exactly what Tim did. I think Tim feels like us, that Swapnil was robbed of a win several times and he had the most potential to win the whole thing. Just to watch Swapnil throw it all away was beyond what Tim could take.

The whole thing with his client happened AFTER he has wasted a whole day. If Swapnil had SOMETHING for her to try on after the first day, it may have been different. There was something to work from, and they could have altered to make it work for both of them.

He has nothing. So the client looks around sees all these other items and immediately thinks she is not important to Swapnil. And since he apparently can whip something up immediately, why shouldn't she get exactly what she wants.

This was Swapnil's to lose - he was getting the always the bridesmaid edit, only to have gotten the Grand Prize in the end. And he f*cked it up.

• Love 14

I fucking lived for Tim Gunn's rant at Swapnil because it felt like a genuine moment of frustration. It reminded me of RuPaul this season yelling at her girls and telling them she didn't want to hear anymore goddamn excuses ANYMORE. I can see how Tim Gunn was super frustrated with Swapnil because, according to the other designers, he isn't particularly focused. I think it'd be different if he had spent all this time creating stuff and then it imploded that would be one thing. But the fact that he was going for smoke breaks and not concentrating on the task at hand and basically had it in his mind from the get-go he was going to do bombshell, client be damned, set himself up for failure.

Another Swapnil related thing: the clean shaven face. You can't tell me that him shaving his face didn't piss off the production people enormously because it screws with them being able to mess with the timeline of things. There are clauses in most reality shows that you can't do that. Like how last week they had Swapnil have a talking head where he talked about Kelly's distinct point of view. He had no facial hair so it was clearly an interview filmed for this episode and outfit, but they decided to use it for last week.

• Love 17

Oh dear lord, this was horrible.  All around.

Ashley:   She's at the mental breaking point, exhausted.  With a bit of rest, she'd have never put that outfit on a woman who wear plus sizes.   The woman looked like she was stuffed into a too small sausage casing with a peplum thrown on the top.  Bad, bad, bad.   The pattern and colors were the least of the problem with this dress.

Candice:  Hideous.  This was an outfit a hooker on a sci-fi show would wear and it fit badly.   I let out a big sigh when Candice started sketching.  I think a corset top is her go-to when she can't think of anything else.  Same with leather/pleather.   Bad job this week.

Edmond:  The lacing was a nice idea, but the cut of that dress was unflattering and made her look like she was on the way to compete in a body building competition.  The trim on the jacket was weird.  The jacket and dress didn't go together.   Not the worst thing out there, but not good.

Kelly:  OMG, a friggin pleather cropped leg overall?  That's a recipe for a yeast infection for a start.  Horrible.  Why was this getting all that praise?  Because it was the least bad thing out there?  This should have been a "safe" outfit, firmly in the middle of the pack...assuming anyone else had done a decent job.  And Kelly, buy a friggin hair brush.   Really.

Merline:  The skirt fit terribly.  The vest was weird and unflattering.  The tank top was nice.  Not the worst thing on the runway, but another outfit that by all rights should have been a "safe", middle of the pack thing.

Swapnil:   I like pale blue with black, but that's the best I can say.   WTF happened to him over the course of this competition?  He burned out badly, at best.  This week, he didn't listen to the client.  He didn't really work all that hard.  I think in his mind he was already on a plane back home.   I'd really hoped we'd get to see some interesting things from him, but he just faded hard week after week.

I think we're seeing the results of too many one day challenges and some very nice but so-so designers.   These people are burned out to the point of being unable to come up with a half decent idea.    Wasn't this the first two day challenge?   Imagine how bad the outfits would have been if the designers were given less time.  I think two days should be the default, with an occasional one day challenge thrown in, not the other way around.

• Love 10

On a recent Red Carpet (2015 Emmys, maybe), Heidi answered some questions stating that this season's designers are not up to par.  I think the question may have been why Tim was using the F-bomb so often.  She essentially said the designers are lousy.  Hope they do something about that!!!

For a start, they could improve the panels they have selecting the new designers.   By having previous contestants...and not always the good ones...do the selecting, you have a self fulfilling circle that guarantees that you'll get the same sort of people over and over.  Bring in some faculty from Parsons.  How about a few editors from Mary Claire or else where in the industry?

I happened to read this in his bio while looking for (non-existent) jacket photos on the website but he said that he tried out 4 times and has wanted this for 10 years. Maybe he just got burned out and was not ready to play the game seeing how far the show has fallen from what it used to be.

For real though.

I don't think his issues were due to despair over what the show used to be.  He burned out and wasn't able to produce week after week.

• Love 6

It does seem like this is going to come down to Kelly vs Edmund, which is a nice surprise. I have no idea who the third designer will be, not that it will matter. I find some of Edmund's work to be a bit on the tacky side, but I'd be okay with him winning. Kelly's my clear favorite though, I really enjoy her personality and the fact that she brings something quirky and out-of-the-box as opposed to the generic, safe stuff we've been getting these past few seasons. 

Swapnil's edit surprised me a lot. I was totally expecting a turnaround for him at top 7 or so, but when we were halfway through this episode and they were yet again harping on how he doesn't care and isn't giving it his all, I figured he was a gone. Bizarre story arc, for sure. 

• Love 5

The word 'hideous' has been used, so far, eight times in this thread.  Love it!  Every time I saw a new outfit last night I said, out loud to no one but my cat, 'hideous.'  Not only does it describe last night's episode but the season as well I think.

Has Candice used black and royal blue in several challenges?  Seems way too familiar.  Hate that combo.  I actually just hate the color royal blue by itself.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 7

I had some major issues with this episode (although I admit that my view of it was probably a bit skewed by discovering what Tim had done in a previous episode behind the scenes).

Kelly: I don't think this should have won. I didn't like the fabric choice and I think making "dressy" overalls is stupid. Safe? Sure. The win? Huh?

Merline: I liked this outfit the best and thought it should have won. Two of the three pieces seemed well made with the skirt needing a bit of work. As an aside, Merline's dress at judging was gorgeous! I loved the color and the sleeves. She needs to ditch the hats.

Candace: That was terrible. She made her model look like a halfway modest hooker.

Edmond: I really liked both pieces but not together. When his model started walking on the runway, I thought that his outfit made his model look wider than she really was. When she took it off though, she looked great. That weaving on the top was really cool too.

Ashley: She should have been the one dismissed. Terrible color and pattern choice. The dreaded peplum that was unflattering. It also didn't fit. I could see the top rising up and making folds. Nobody wants that. Also, I wasn't seeing the crybaby thing before but I certainly do now. Homegirl needs to buck up or get out.

Swapnil: Oy, now this is where I had some major freaking issues with this episode. His final outfit, IMHO, was fine with the exception of the cape. That part was poorly executed. With that said, his first outfit looked extremely promising. Was it simple? Yes, but it was flattering and the back looked great. It also had sleeves like the client wanted. The second outfit even looked promising as well. So Swapnil is "lazy" but had three freaking outfits for the challenge? I despised his model and felt like she was a production plant for a storyline. Nothing but vague criticism and no direction at all. She even rolled her eyes at the hair and makeup challenge. What a pissy crumedgeon. I also felt Tim's little outburst was unprofessional and very, very personal. He needs to take a break from this show because he is not doing his job as a mentor. Swapnil's whole aufing just seemed storyline driven rather than based on the actual work.

At this point, I don't care who wins because of the stuff that happened behind the scenes. All reality shows have an element of fakery but this is ridiculous.

• Love 17

I hate that Swapnil gave up, and he clearly did. And I don't disagree with the auf'ing or the no Tim Gunn save. That having been said, what the hell crawled up Swapnil's model's butt?? She disliked everything he showed her, but never (that we saw) tried to explain what it was she did want, besides that she wanted her arms covered. He did that, on two different tops, and she didn't like the sleeve on either top.

She acted as if he were personally offending her on some level. I just don't get it.

Well, she has to work with Tim next week. She's never going to see Swapnil again.

• Love 4

--Every time I see Merline, I think, "You tossed out your sewing kit at the airport instead of your hats."  I'm starting to be obsessed with Merline's hats.  Has she ever been in one of the back-at-the-ranch housing scenes, without her topper?

--I would love to see "Average Woman" be a very early challenge, for the whole roster.  Anyone can throw a brown paper bag on Aube and she'll strut it out to glory, but if you're incapable of designing a garment that flatters, say, a Size 12, then get the fuck out.

• Love 18

I can't take this episode seriously because the contestants were matched up with their models by the producers for optimal drama.  At least the button bag makes it seem like chance plays a role.

I, like Ashleigh, am a crybaby particularly when sleep deprived.  Believe me, I'd stop if I could but in all my years, I haven't managed yet.  I did crack up though to see that in one of Ashleigh's first talking heads she was clutching a rumpled tissue even though she was clear-eyed.  Those tears are never far away...

It was very disconcerting to watch bearded Swapnil/cleanshaven Swapnil in rapid succession.

• Love 9
It's bad enough when Zac paws the real models during the judging examination. It's not appropriate for him to have his hands all over the bodies of the crew models

I really expected Zac to be a little less hands-y  with the models this time. He managed to flash us one crew member's bra, and was ironic that it was the one crew member who didn't even want to show her arms and legs.

I understand Tim wanting them to keep their design aesthetic even when designing for "real women," but I feel like so many of them were forcing themselves and their own style on their real woman models this week.

I was a little perplexed by this challenge. Didn't Tim say at the beginning something like the crew member should agree on what type of occasion they want the garment for, but the outfit should be the designer's vision, and the designer should not complain at the end that the client "made them" make such and such garment? Did I imagine that? Maybe I did, because the crew members certainly didn't hear that.

I was expecting to like Shiri and Constance more. They seemed to critical and mean.

I didn't care for the one in white at all, whichever one she was.

For me, Ashley was doomed the minute she chose that silly print. 

It seems that, along with deciding that plus-size is her niche, Ashley has also decided that quirky fabrics are her niche. And they aren't. They really aren't. 

She didn't want design--she wanted basics. She wanted Lindsay.

And the sad thing is, if Lindsay had made it this far, they never would've paired her with that crew member.

Bring in some faculty from Parsons.  How about a few editors from Mary Claire or else where in the industry?

As if anyone who values their reputation in this industry would climb aboard this Titanic of a reality show.

--I would love to see "Average Woman" be a very early challenge, for the whole roster.

You know what I think would be an interesting challenge? If they had to make two of the same garment, one for a model and one for a real woman, and make them walk the runway side by side.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 20

I'd love to see a modesty in dress challenge, if the designers were given enough time to think about it and execute.

Like Duggar-ware?  Maybe they can bring back a challenge from the first season (think it was the first) when they had to make bathing suits.  This time they'd have to make modest bathing suits. 

• Love 3

As someone else suggested, Ashley could have made a cute wrap dress (even in Easter egg purple) that would have flattered her model.  DVF's wrap dress was one of the best design inventions EVER!  It flatters most figures.  It can have long sleeves, short sleeves or no sleeves.  Dress it up/down as the poor crew girl asked for.  If Ashley insisted on using her horrible print choices, she could have used it sparingly as trim or for a "pop".  She could have even made a funky jacket (NOT a motorcycle jacket) to help with the day/night transition.  Ans on a shallow note, I wish the Mary Kay people would drag Ashley into their lab and show her a foundation that covers and blends into her natural skin tone without streaking during her numerous crying jags.

Candice has become a caricture of herself. Goth hooker clothes every damn week. Corset? check. Black pleather/vinyl? check. Tiiigght and bunched up on the seams? check. Her models boobs were hangin down to her waist!  Where was the boning or built in bra to push those girls up?

Bye Swapnil.  I think Tim had every right to explode on him. The ONLY thing I liked about his disasterous attempt was the color of the shirt fabric...and it wasn't even his fabric!  Ashley (I think) gave it to him.  (BTW Ashley- THAT fabric would've made a damn cute wrap dress)

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 11

So, I don't know if the national exposure this show is giving the designers is really all that great because they are set up to fail.

Good point, RCharter.

The civilians are always very specific as to what they want the designers to make.  I don't think they get to keep the clothes, do they?  Often they are slapped together and probably would not survive hard wearing.   

I would ask the designer what they would make for me and go from there.  If you don't stay in their wheel house you can get something terrible!  And really why do they care so much?

• Love 8

Oh dear lord, this was horrible.  All around.

Ashley:   She's at the mental breaking point, exhausted.  With a bit of rest, she'd have never put that outfit on a woman who wear plus sizes.   The woman looked like she was stuffed into a too small sausage casing with a peplum thrown on the top.  Bad, bad, bad.   The pattern and colors were the least of the problem with this dress.

Candice:  Hideous.  This was an outfit a hooker on a sci-fi show would wear and it fit badly.   I let out a big sigh when Candice started sketching.  I think a corset top is her go-to when she can't think of anything else.  Same with leather/pleather.   Bad job this week.

Edmond:  The lacing was a nice idea, but the cut of that dress was unflattering and made her look like she was on the way to compete in a body building competition.  The trim on the jacket was weird.  The jacket and dress didn't go together.   Not the worst thing out there, but not good.

Kelly:  OMG, a friggin pleather cropped leg overall?  That's a recipe for a yeast infection for a start.  Horrible.  Why was this getting all that praise?  Because it was the least bad thing out there?  This should have been a "safe" outfit, firmly in the middle of the pack...assuming anyone else had done a decent job.  And Kelly, buy a friggin hair brush.   Really.

Merline:  The skirt fit terribly.  The vest was weird and unflattering.  The tank top was nice.  Not the worst thing on the runway, but another outfit that by all rights should have been a "safe", middle of the pack thing.

Swapnil:   I like pale blue with black, but that's the best I can say.   WTF happened to him over the course of this competition?  He burned out badly, at best.  This week, he didn't listen to the client.  He didn't really work all that hard.  I think in his mind he was already on a plane back home.   I'd really hoped we'd get to see some interesting things from him, but he just faded hard week after week.

I think we're seeing the results of too many one day challenges and some very nice but so-so designers.   These people are burned out to the point of being unable to come up with a half decent idea.    Wasn't this the first two day challenge?   Imagine how bad the outfits would have been if the designers were given less time.  I think two days should be the default, with an occasional one day challenge thrown in, not the other way around.

I died when Ashley pulled out that bolt of purple floral.  NOOOOO!

But I'm going to stick up for her on the waterworks because I agree with terrymct that we're seeing the result of exhaustion and burnout and Ashley's going to be the crispiest briquet of all.

I remember what it takes to carry a second person's-worth of weight around under strenuous circumstances.  I did a few backpacking trips with a normal-size friend when I was maybe a hundred pounds overweight.  I was strong and healthy and proud that I didn't slow us down during the day--providing I was able to sleep and fully recharge at night.  If not, there was a cumulative effect that snowballed pretty fast.

We know the designers are hustled and bustled around the clock for the express purpose of draining them.  I can understand why Ashley's armor is worn down to a tear-permeable membrane.

I'm pretty sure she hates being "the one who cries" on top of being "the fat one."

• Love 12

The manipulation was so obvious to me in this episode.  And how ironic that Shiri Appleby and Constance Zimmer were their guest judges.

They paired the crew with the designers.  In my mind they were setting up Kelly and Ashley for the top 2.  Could anyone be more like Kelly than her crew member?  And what she did was ridiculous.  She made the same thing the model was wearing-overalls and top-in a leather looking fabric and added a vest.  Please.  There was no design.  She did a good job of fitting her into the clothes but that's it.

And Ashley let them down when she had her little melt down and designed that hideous outfit.  But you cannot tell me that a potential win was handed to her!

I cannot argue with letting Swapnil go but he had the most difficult client.  And I got a sour feeling when she was shown in the background laughing and enjoying the dressing down the judges gave Swapnil.  Tell me how any of those designers could have pleased her?  And in a real world situation it is a collaboration between designer and client and if your aesthetic does not meld you don't work with each other.

• Love 13

I apologize if I am repeating other posters because I haven't read through the whole thread yet but...
I have to disagree that Swapnils model was overly picky and shame on him for blaming her. She told him what she wanted and he already decided what she would get. That is NOT working with a client. She is not looking for a space suit from head to toe and I don't think she's Amish. I think, like MANY women, she is a woman with body issues. She feels her arms and legs are too big (not true, but we ALL have those type of self perceptions. Well, maybe not Heidi). She probably would have been ok with the sleeves on the last outfit if they were not skin tight. That would be why she asked if he could loosen them up. And he had 2 days. Would pants have been impossible ? He had NOTHING at the first fitting bc he is there for Camp Runway not Project Runway. I think he loves the experience and camaraderie but not the competition. I now doubt he misunderstood about his sewing kit too. I think he figured they'd give him something. I think he seems like a great guy,me specially based on how the others responded to him, but Tim was right. What was his true motivation for being there?
I'm over Ashley. And I don't care if she felt added pressure to prove herself with a challenge perfectly suited for her. Very few large women want to showcase their arms. Her model SPECIFICALLY said that. And you go sleeveless?!?! As a full sized woman, I'd choose the patterns from Woman Within and Romans before her fabric selections. I question her taste level not her talent. I think she is just not someone who works well under pressure. She needs to develop her aesthetic more. And the tears are exhausting...but I think some of that may just be from lack of sleep. I know I'm more apt to tear up when I'm running on fumes.
Candice can go home too. What a one trick pony. She and Ashley were a good team because Ashley pulled her away from all black and Candice kept her from picking LSD inspired Easter egg patterns. They can both leave now.
Merline salvaged a really bad thing but I think she made top 3 because the others were so Fugiy. Her outfit was not good.

I'm all for Edmond and Kelly. So odd because I did NOT like them at the start of the series. Kelly listened, adapted, and succeeded.
And I'm glad Tim showed his frustration. So many of the critiques were born from the fact that the designers did not listen to their models....which was the point of the challenge.

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 6

You know what I think would be an interesting challenge? If they had to make two of the same garment, one for a model and one for a real woman, and make them walk the runway side by side.

That would be really interesting but I'm not sure how many "real" women would be comfortable walking down a runway next to a 19 year-old girl who is 6 feet tall and 115 pounds just for comparison's sake.  On a related note I thought it was kind of heartless of Heidi to try on that rain jacket right in front of the woman it was made for when Heidi knew it would look better on herself.

• Love 5

That's a cool idea.  That would especially work for the challenges where the 'winning' design is going to be mass produced.

• Love 1

Didn't Tim's critique time turn into a fitting as well? So it was a bit of a surprise. While Swapnil should have had something for his client to try on, he did not know that time was going to also be a fitting. After Tim's outburst toward Swapnil, I thought maybe if the client and Swapnil had a bit of time to talk about the design maybe she would have liked something, but I think she and Tim ended up leaving. 

If they would have just let Swapnil flounder and auf him because of that, then even though I like him, I would have been fine, because Swapnil was losing steam. Tim's outburst, Zac's reactions, Swapnil's client, and the editing just felt so calculated. 

I was okay with the predetermined picking of the clients and the designers, because I admit I hate watching the heaviest client be picked last. I think they could have done a better job matching the clients with the designers. Of course then the show would not have the drama.

I do admit that Ashley's crying is tiring for me to watch. Another reason why I would never do a competitive reality show or hell, any reality show, because I would be Ashley with all the crying if I was stressed or frustrated in that environment. People would hate me.

• Love 8

I adored Tim calling out each of the designers and Swapnil, in particular.  He's been getting more and more fed up with Swapnil over the last several runways.  I think Tim really thinks Swapnil is uber talented, but he has been turning out crap.  Last weeks peach circle circle with the architectural top?  The week  when he did basically the same top in wire?  It's so Jay McCarroll who after PR drove Tim insane by squandering his opportunities.  Tim wants them to succeed. He wants them to be brilliant.  That said, Swapnil's crew member who said she would "Stand by Him", didn't.  But here's the deal.  All she wanted was to have her arms and legs covered.  Swapnil could have designed anything as long as it made her look amazing.  That's the key.  It could have been a gown, a pant suit, anything as long as she looked terrific.  That was the key for all the designers.  Use your own aesthetic, but make your client look awesome. i

• Love 5
Does anyone else wonder why Tim says to use the JustFab wall “very carefully”? That sounds like a warning of danger, like someone could get injured if you pick the wrong belt.

Hee.  I always interpret it as "too much of this crap will ruin your outfit."

Swapnil deserved better than this treatment....  Tim has completely lost it.

ITA.  I thought Swapnil handled it much more gracefully than I would have.  I would have stood there with my mouth going open and shut like a fish trying to think of something to say or do.  He kept is dignity as much as possible.  Tim, on the other hand, was way out of line and I was flabbergasted he did that in front of everyone.  In past years if he had something to say, even to tell Wendy Pepper her clothes were dowdy, or Andre his crying was unacceptable, he took them out of the room.

Tim's feeble attempt to try to justify his behavior rang completely hollow and as an attempt to cover his ass.

My DVR cut out right after Ashley and Candice left the runway.  Did Tim say something after that?

This is not a good challenge this late in the game, where they are supposed to be showing their best and they are hampered by clients making everyday requests.

I think a better test of a designer's ability to flatter an everyday woman is to not have the client have input other than possible religious or medical-condition restrictions.  Let the designer's show their ability (or lack thereof) to demonstrate what they think looks good on a client, taking body shape, skin tone, etc., into consideration.  They just turn into dress makers for these challenges.  As others have said, these clients are not actually going to wear any of this stuff anywhere anyway.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 14

I would ask the designer what they would make for me and go from there.  If you don't stay in their wheel house you can get something terrible!  And really why do they care so much?

I think they care because there is a vast epidemic of self-hatred when it comes to women's bodies in this country. If you hate your upper arms, or your thighs or your too big/too small breasts or your stomach or whatever, you really, really don't want to be seen on a popular television show wearing an outfit that puts maximum emphasis on that body part. So the women want to make extra-sure their designer gets that, and the more the designer seems to be ignoring their concern, the more frantic the models become.

That's a cool idea.  That would especially work for the challenges where the 'winning' design is going to be mass produced.

I think I've mentioned in the past that my niece is a high fashion model? I feel self-conscious when we walk down the street together, let alone having to walk a runway by her side -- and wearing the same outfit?! Oy vey! :) Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 5

Does anyone else wonder why Tim says to use the JustFab wall “very carefully”? That sounds like a warning of danger, like someone could get injured if you pick the wrong belt.

That line always cracks me up.  I think it is his way to remind them to think of the total look that they are sending out on the runway. A lot of the designers on the show seem to have limited or no experience with the type of runway show they are expected to produce at the end of the season.  And I think with the time constraints the show puts on them, many of the designers would spend every possible moment with last minute finishing touches to the garments rather than spending precious moments thinking about hair, shoes, and other accessories. By the time they have sent models out for all the episodes of a season, they should have a better idea of how to present their designs.

I am seriously unimpressed with this season's group.  I don't think Tim Gunn has to use his "save." At least I hope he doesn't. 

I also wonder about teary Ashley.  My eyes tend to be very watery if I am sleep deprived; when I was in law school everyone knew if I had stayed up all night because I would be dabbing my eyes all day.  I had thought at the beginning she might make it to the final three or four, but I am seriously over circle skirts, pockets, and her choice of material.

I guess Edmund is safe enough to win as he seems fairly consistent at delivering something that is okay, and not too hideous or  bizarre. 

Is next week an avant garde challenge?   I can't imagine any of the remaining designers are up to it.  A very disappointing season as  far as I am concerned.

• Love 4

I feel the opposite. Tim's outburst was spot on. Swapnil had been skating for a bit, but he treated his client as if he didn't care about her. Yes, she was picky, but it's his job to come up with a concept and then tailor it to her. He had nothing for her to try on, and wasn't even pressed about it.

I agree so much with this. Someone on another thread said Swapnil seemed to have an attitude of being above the competition and I think that's true. He seemed (to me) to not really take it seriously and expect to just coast to the win.

Tim has worked with and known these crew members for years so I think it was personal and that he was feeling a bit protective of them. His outburst at Swapnil was fine with me. I'd get frustrated too if someone just didn't seem to give a shit while the other designers were at least trying. (Albeit with varying levels of success)

And I LIKED Swapnil and was rooting for him, at least until a few challenges ago!

• Love 5

There was one shot of Swapnil where the whites of his were practically beet red.  I don't know if he'd been crying or what, but that really stood out to me, because later, his whites were white again.

• Love 4

I think they care because there is a vast epidemic of self-hatred when it comes to women's bodies in this country. If you hate your upper arms, or your thighs or your too big/too small breasts or your stomach or whatever, you really, really don't want to be seen on a popular television show wearing an outfit that puts maximum emphasis on that body part. So the women want to make extra-sure their designer gets that, and the more the designer seems to be ignoring their concern, the more frantic the models become.

But really, if thats how you feel, maybe doing the real woman challenge on a nationally televised design show isn't the best thing for you to do.  I'm assuming they could have found alternate crew members, or someone else.

Too many parameters and demands and you're stifling a designers creativity...on a show that is supposed to be about a designers creativity.  I think you should have to make your client look good, and deal with a few reasonable accomodations (mine, for example would be not to have my stomach out)  but to say you want something flirty but you need to cover arms and legs, and nothing too tight on the arms?  I mean you can't even go Addams family with that.

• Love 7

Agree with almost all the comments, but there was something unreal about having Quinn and Rachel as judges, given that their show is all about the backstage manipulations of reality show contestants. There should have been more of a payoff...but the designs were so sad and uninspiring, there was not much to say, except no, never.

As for the crew members, Swapnil was burdened with an awful choice...her comfort zone was grey hair, unstyled, with no makeup and formless jeans. Add in her body issues, and a contentious, whining personality, and it was a unpleasant, rather than interesting match-up. Girlfriend should stay behind the cameras in future.

Unforgivable was what was done to Ashley and Candice's crew models...both were charming, pretty and willing to engage. Both were rewarded with hideous, unflattering efforts that maximized their discomfort. Both are owed an apology from the designers and the producers. 

Heidi saying the designers this season were lousy was unprofessional and unnecessary...that is clear to anyone watching. But having seen what she wore to the Emmy's, who is she to criticize anyone.

• Love 14

Ashley has picked the most horrifying prints the last couple of challenges.  I'm so over everything being black or grey, but selecting cheerful curtain fabric isn't the answer.

Stuff you use to make quilt blocks with, but no one actually makes clothes out of it.

I love finding the "ugly" fabrics at the store to make clothes with! And I loved Ashley's choice this week (not the dress--I REPEAT, I did NOT love that 1980s-grandma-at-church dress one bit! And last week's fabric baffled the fuck out of me). But I have a closet full of vintage '70s, so...

While I thought Swapnil's was bad, and while he definitely overlooked much of what the client wanted, I also thought she seemed like an asshole.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I think one season they need to plan in advance (because all challenges are always way planned in advance)that they'll do a "don't" challenge. So they watch the contestant the whole season and somewhere around this point, they'd go one by one and everyone would get a totally different restriction, but it's basically a "do whatever you want EXCEPT" challenge. And they tell each designer the one thing they've been doing too much, or using as a crutch, etc.

So Ashley no purple, no ruffles. Candace, no black, no leather. Swapnil (were he still there) no criss crossy wrappy whatever.

Etc.

You know everyone has something. The designers keep saying "oh that's not me" or "oh but the client wanted" and it's like, shut up. The easiest most gift of a challenge would be "do whatever the hell you want". And then they just give them each one, or I guess my examples above are two, absolute no-nos, and other than that, bring it. Prove it. Go.

After this, I have a feeling somehow they'd all crash and burn anyway, at least this group.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 9

When she pulled out that bolt of fabric, everything in that section of Mood reminded me of cheap calico prints they sell at Wal-Mart or Ben Franklin.

Unfortunately, that's usually all that's available to some plus size women--especially those who are size 22 or more. Awful, cheap fabric--usually polyester.  And aside from Octavia Davis (who won the Oscar for The Help in that GORGEOUS dress), most plus-size women have horrible wardrobe options.  I personally think Melissa McCarthy dresses like a woman on a Lane Bryant Clearance budget.  And when Christian Siriano dressed a plus-size actress for the Emmys, it really looked awful (like a toga of sheer scarves).  

I think Ashley is exhausted and so are the other designers.  All these one-day challenges?  You're going to end up with sleeveless tops and pencil skirts.  And the season is MUCH longer than seasons in the early years.

• Love 2

Water always finds it's own level, and we're seeing a very LOW level of water this season. 

We've been having the same discussion on the Ink Master thread about having such a low bar set for the "winner".  I compared it to 2 winners of "American Idol",  Taylor Hicks and Carrie Underwood.  Different seasons, but the same competition overall.  Same exposure on TV, the same prize and same opportunities for such polar opposites in talent.  Not really fair in many ways, but completely fair in others. 

This season, it's like comparing Edmund to Christian Siriano.   Or comparing tomatoes to suspension bridges.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 8

But really, if thats how you feel, maybe doing the real woman challenge on a nationally televised design show isn't the best thing for you to do.  I'm assuming they could have found alternate crew members, or someone else.

Maybe. Or maybe there was a lot of "you do it," "no, you do it." Or maybe women asked to participate get caught up in the excitement, and don't focus on what letting someone else dress you who isn't listening to you really feels like until it's happening. Every season we see women struggle to persuade a designer to hear what they are saying. And I have to assume that working with a realistic client is a big part of the challenge from the producer's standpoint. Not too many women who are interested in, and capable of buying, custom made clothes will just stand there and meekly take whatever the designer chooses to hand them.

Too many parameters and demands and you're stifling a designers creativity...on a show that is supposed to be about a designers creativity.  I think you should have to make your client look good, and deal with a few reasonable accomodations (mine, for example would be not to have my stomach out)  but to say you want something flirty but you need to cover arms and legs, and nothing too tight on the arms?  I mean you can't even go Addams family with that.

I guess that depends on the level of the designer's creativity and imagination. Where some see a restriction, others see an interesting challenge.
  • Love 1
And what is going on with her hair? I get that the roots are growing in, but why are the tips going grey/white?

She probably had to bleach it super-light before doing the lavender color, and now the ends are fading faster than the rest, most likely.

She definitely has some taste issues.

I never "get" this criticism. Taste is subjective, for designers and clients...for everyone. To me, the term "good taste" or "bad taste" means absolutely nothing (in terms of clothes and other superficial things, that is). Taste is not much different than an opinion. All fashion is not for one type of consumer taste. 

That said, I can see that criticism being valid when the challenge is to design for a specific niche or market, like the Just Fab one. But in general, there is no such thing as "bad taste" in clothes; different taste, yes. Bad taste, no.

(I have never typed the word "taste" so much in such a short time! And I write for a living.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Unfortunately, that's usually all that's available to some plus size women--especially those who are size 22 or more. Awful, cheap fabric--usually polyester.  And aside from Octavia Davis (who won the Oscar for The Help in that GORGEOUS dress), most plus-size women have horrible wardrobe options.  I personally think Melissa McCarthy dresses like a woman on a Lane Bryant Clearance budget.  And when Christian Siriano dressed a plus-size actress for the Emmys, it really looked awful (like a toga of sheer scarves).  

I think Ashley is exhausted and so are the other designers.  All these one-day challenges?  You're going to end up with sleeveless tops and pencil skirts.  And the season is MUCH longer than seasons in the early years.

Ashley had a choice of what fabric to use so she wasn't forced to use that horrible print and color at all. How is she supposed to be a fresh designer for full figured women when she is using crap fabrics that all of the other retailers are using? That is all on her (just as that terrible silhouette and poor fit is all on her as well).

Are you talking about Danielle Brooks from Orange Is the New Black? I thought that dress was gorgeous on her and she worked the hell out of it on the step and repeat. Also, she was on several best dressed lists with that dress. Christian is known now for working with "real" body types like Danielle and Christina Hendricks with much success. I personally disliked him on the show but I greatly admire his career and design choices post Project Runway because he really seems to take his clients' bodies into account when dressing them.

• Love 7