Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: Crew's All In

• Start Topic

whimsey98, on 10 Oct 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

I had seen it originally but I'll be darn if I find it in the thread now.  Anyway, the EW interview is here: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/05/project-runway-season-14-tim-gunn (search the EW site and it shows up).  Gunn doesn't mention the designer by name but it is pretty clear, after seeing the episode, whom he is talking about.  I think some of us thought his going to the judges was particularly poor form:  "I kept saying to the judges that there was one designer in particular that needed to go because I felt that once that designer left, it would A) send a resounding message to all of the remaining designers about how serious this is and B) the laziest of the lot would be gone and it would help eradicate all of the other laziness."

More telling, at the end he says:  "The producers are very happy."

Yeah, I don't like that he did that.  As their mentor, I believe he's supposed on their side, helping them, not hindering them.  I don't like that at all.  Thanks again for the link.

• Love 1

Actually, it's not couture, but Gretchen's not doing badly. She's the creative director for Pendleton now.

I never follow the contestant's careers after PR, but I know that Michael Costello is considered some kind of big deal around here (I live in Palm Springs where he's from).  He's always featured at Fashion Week here, but I have never had any interest in attending it, so idea if that's a big deal or not in the real fashion world.

Swapnil, a puzzle to me.  I know early on I posted that i thought he wasn't smoking tobacco, and he's seemed high to me off and on throughout the season.  Swapnil's model was a complete bitch; if someone told me they could make me over into a bombshell I might be nervous, but I'd go with it just for the chance for a REAL makeover!  They could have combined her cover-up demands with a bombshell look.  I thought his first look for her was a good start to what might have been a really good piece - and it fit her demands, too - but she pouted and stomped her feet and he just abandoned that look and went on to make 2 more outfits.  Poor judgment on his part, lousy attitude on hers.

Candace and Ashley: time's up.  Candace should be designing for Trashy Lingerie and Ashley should stop crying - it's gone way beyond tolerable.

Edmond - huh?  Those two pieces just didn't go with each other on any level.

Kelly - love her personality and attitude, not so much her clothes.  I thought the overalls were a decent effort to do what her client requested, but since I HATE overalls, the whole thing was a big meh.

Merline - had she listened to her model to begin with she would have had the time to make that outfit look a hell of a lot better.

I believe she wanted Greensleeves -- flirty, but not dramatic-- and able to go from day to evensong.

medieval-woolen-dress-green-sleeves-1.jp

Perfect!  Who wouldn't want to look like a Pre-Raphealite dream?  Actually, this would have been a great idea for Swap to use with his model, who - with a little, okay a LOT of help - could be made to resemble one of those romantic portraits.

• Love 1

To me I guess it makes no sense to do a makeover look that's so different from the models style they would never wear it. That's why I think Kelly did well and swapnil was way off.

That girl, for whatever reason, didn't WANT to be a bombshell. Wasn't she wearing a flannel shirt?

I'm a conservative Jew, we can wear whatever, and the demands of television mean there's no way someone really observant could work there because they'd be working on Friday night and saturday for sure.

Just make her a cool daytime look. Jeez. What's so hard?

A nicer blouse with your style, some pants. Why does "runway" have to mean "date night?"

I th nk all of their haircuts looked great but again to me a makeover should have some bearing on who the person is and what they do.

The model handlers and bookers could wear skirts. The crew? The ones dealing with the cameras and the booms? And swapnil thinks pencil skirt? Is he nuts?

Yes, he deserved to go home.

• Love 4

How have I not noticed Edmund until tonight? He's too cute!!

Swapnil seems to have been most people's choice around here for this season's hottie, but at this point I'm pretty much only watching to gawk at Edmond.  I think he's gorgeous.  Talent-wise, he's not Christian Siriano, but he also almost never produces anything what-were-you-thinking ugly, and among this bunch, that's about the best that can be hoped for.  And he's gorgeous.

• Love 3

Swapnil seems to have been most people's choice around here for this season's hottie, but at this point I'm pretty much only watching to gawk at Edmond.  I think he's gorgeous.  Talent-wise, he's not Christian Siriano, but he also almost never produces anything what-were-you-thinking ugly, and among this bunch, that's about the best that can be hoped for.  And he's gorgeous.

I'm impressed that Edmond made high waisted cigarette pants that weren't atrocious.

• Love 1

I had seen it originally but I'll be darn if I find it in the thread now.  Anyway, the EW interview is here: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/05/project-runway-season-14-tim-gunn (search the EW site and it shows up).  Gunn doesn't mention the designer by name but it is pretty clear, after seeing the episode, whom he is talking about.  I think some of us thought his going to the judges was particularly poor form:  "I kept saying to the judges that there was one designer in particular that needed to go because I felt that once that designer left, it would A) send a resounding message to all of the remaining designers about how serious this is and B) the laziest of the lot would be gone and it would help eradicate all of the other laziness."

More telling, at the end he says:  "The producers are very happy."

I don't see anything wrong with either the article or what Tim said or did.   The article states that one round in the work room takes between 4-4-1/2 hours and when not there he is watching them in the production room so he saw all the slacking that Swapnil was doing and for the last challenge when they brought in the models he didn't have a single piece for her to try on.   I don't recall if we were shown how much time had passed, but if everyone else had something for a fitting and he didn't then that is telling of time wasting, IMO.   

If Swapnil was that good and wanted to be there than why didn't he just finish quickly and then go smoke his brains out.   Tim may have even seen/heard the comment about shooting for the middle of the pack to be safe a few shows ago.

Yes Tim is their mentor, but if what you are telling someone is falling on deaf ears, then I think he has a right to get frustrated.   I know when I am trying to teach someone something and have to repeat the same instruction over and over again, I too lose it.

Edited by Koffee Kup
  • Love 2

As their mentor, I believe he's supposed on their side, helping them, not hindering them.  I don't like that at all.  Thanks again for the link.

I concur. Heidi mentions every week that Tim is at the runway show, but isn't part of the judging since he is their mentor. So for him to go up the judges and urge them to auf someone seems so hinky to me, because it shows that he does have input in the judging if he so chooses. Swapnil was running out of steam, so let him fail on his own without some elaborate machination. My issue isn't that Swapnil went home it was how the whole thing played out.

• Love 12

I don't see anything wrong with either the article or what Tim said or did.   The article states that one round in the work room takes between 4-4-1/2 hours and when not there he is watching them in the production room so he saw all the slacking that Swapnil was doing and for the last challenge when they brought in the models he didn't have a single piece for her to try on.   I don't recall if we were shown how much time had passed, but if everyone else had something for a fitting and he didn't then that is telling of time wasting, IMO.   

If Swapnil was that good and wanted to be there than why didn't he just finish quickly and then go smoke his brains out.   Tim may have even seen/heard the comment about shooting for the middle of the pack to be safe a few shows ago.

Yes Tim is there mentor, but if what you are telling someone is falling on deaf ears, then I think he has a right to get frustrated.   I know when I am trying to teach someone something and have to repeat the same instruction over and over again, I too lose it.

But then let the results speak for themselves.  If he's goofing off and wasting time and it doesn't show in the clothing, what does it matter?  If he's goofing and wasting time and it DOES show, then he gets sent home.  Where is the need for Tim, their MENTOR, to go running off to the judges?  I mentored new teachers for nearly 20 years, and the rule was that mentors never reported anything to administration, favorable or unfavorable, except when students would be endangered.  It was the administrator's (judge's) job to assess the teacher's performance, not the mentor's job. I would vastly prefer to see Tim adopt that attitude and just let the damn garments do the talking.  The exception would be, again, if behavior went off the charts and someone was severely bullied or physically assaulted. I am so sad to realize that Tim is actually OK with bullying if he doesn't like the person being bullied. Under the Gunn really opened my eyes to that.

Which brings me to the thought that, just as Tim seems to use his save based solely on emotion and not on objective criteria, so does he seem to have selected Swapnil as not worthy based on how he reacted emotionally to him rather than on his actual output.  It makes me want to go back and re-examine earlier seasons to see if similar things happened then. 

• Love 15

A pretty detailed recap from Entertainment Weekly of this episode:  http://www.ew.com/recap/project-runway-season-14-episode-10

I'm not going to comment on Gunn versus Swapnil beyond this:  my issue is with Gunn running around in the background to the judges complaining about something that nothing to do with ability; and his less than professional performance with Swapnil.  Swapnil should have been judged on his designs and not whether or not Milord Gunn thought he wasn't slaving away hard enough.  It's a personal opinion and clearly we're not all going to agree on it.  So I happily agree to disagree who believe Gunn was blameless and leave this to be my last posting on this thread.

I think his last design spoke for itself.

• Love 2

You think it's crap that Swapnil was casted as The Ethnic Guy yet you also wished he would design reflecting his native India?  Who cares what an artist is inspired by as long as the result is great.  A lot of designers are influenced by India from time to time and they don't actually have to be from there.  I think people usually get their inspiration not necessarily from where they've spent their whole life.

I don't think one precludes the other.   If Swapnil's what we have, let's see what he can do.   And I happen to like the vibrant colors and richness of India's native fashions.   Namaste.

• Love 4

Swapnil seems to have been most people's choice around here for this season's hottie, but at this point I'm pretty much only watching to gawk at Edmond. I think he's gorgeous. Talent-wise, he's not Christian Siriano, but he also almost never produces anything what-were-you-thinking ugly, and among this bunch, that's about the best that can be hoped for. And he's gorgeous.

I think Edmond is really nice and I love his personality and calm demeanor but I'm not getting gorgeous at all. Good thing mileage various on this sort of thing so the species can carry on!

Not really looking forward to the rest of the season with this "talent" pool left. Not a fan of any of them.

• Love 2

I think Edmond is really nice and I love his personality and calm demeanor but I'm not getting gorgeous at all. Good thing mileage various on this sort of thing so the species can carry on!

Not really looking forward to the rest of the season with this "talent" pool left. Not a fan of any of them.

Agree.  I so wanted to see Ashley do really well, be creative and inventive, and actually design something beautiful for larger sizes.  With her seeming collapse, I think I'm officially done caring who wins. 

• Love 5

I actually think that if Swapnil had made a longish figure hugging dress with the sleeves and neckline in the picture Film Noire included above in a pretty dark color, maybe his client would have liked it.  A romantic look, not overtly sexy, but attractive.

But then I liked Edmond's dress last week better when he first put the red material on the model with the long left sleeve than when he showed his finished product with the criss-cross bands across the upper chest.

• Love 2

Yeah, I don't like that he did that.  As their mentor, I believe he's supposed on their side, helping them, not hindering them.  I don't like that at all.  Thanks again for the link.

It also reveals (to me) that Tim isn't as in touch with the creative process as he thinks (or as I thought he was). Many artists have brains that keep working while "taking a break" -- writers, directors, visual artists, etc -- the mind works things through,  while you're doing something else. And if that's how Swapnil works, then it's not an accident his work got less compelling, the more he was criticized and hounded by Tim (behind the scenes) for being "lazy",  instead of being supported in his particular process. I don't  think Swapnil is a Mozart, but Tim Gunn's bitter attack sure smelled like Salieri.

I actually think that if Swapnil had made a longish figure hugging dress with the sleeves and neckline in the picture Film Noire included above in a pretty dark color, maybe his client would have liked it.  A romantic look, not overtly sexy, but attractive.

Then I think they would've attacked Swapnil for not listening to his client wanting "day to night". It was an unfair challenge to begin with  -- everybody should've had the same brief (a professional look; a cocktail party; a weekend away, etc.) But that would've been a level playing field.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 17

I really liked Kelly's overalls. I've been wishing for overalls to come back since...well, the early 00's and I'm so happy! I thought her outfit was cute, but she also got "lucky" (producer wise) in being paired with someone who was in her wheelhouse.

Ashley's style baffles me. I so want to like her. I want to root for her. The non skintone matching makeup doesn't bother me, or the hair, or the crying, or that her own clothing choices are questionable...but the outfit she made for her crew member looked cheap as hell. The fabrics were awful. She went from no sleeves to cap sleeves. Nope. You don't get very far in fashion before you learn that wrap dresses are everyone's friend. If she wanted to choose one of her patterned fabrics, it would have gone MUCH better on a wrap top dress.

Swapnil's first dress looked banging. I would totally wear that. His crew member actually had a very nice, curvy figure. Even the shirt she ended up with was cute, I would have worn it.  Minus the fucking cape.  What the hell. I don't get what her deal was, but having worked in tv and with production companies (not at a production house, but at the network that buys the shows), the crew and the final editors don't work for the same company. With the experience I have of how people at production houses and editors treat and value their subjects I would NO WAY agree to be filmed. Seriously, I've run into some real assholes.

I hate that they showed Jennifer's ratty bra at the end. I hate that Zac had his hands all over her breasts. I hate that she looked like an asshole.  She might actually be an asshole, she probably is, they ALL probably are, but this video cannot be her damnation.

• Love 5

Agree.  I so wanted to see Ashley do really well, be creative and inventive, and actually design something beautiful for larger sizes.  With her seeming collapse, I think I'm officially done caring who wins. 

If you held a seminar called "How Not To Design for the Plus-Size Woman," Ashley's outfit this week would be on the flyer.  I can't imagine she'd ever wear that herself.   What made her think it was okay to inflict upon another woman?

• Love 8

Swapnil could not have done a floor length dress, because the asshole client wanted day into evening -- nobody wears a floor length dress to work.

He could not have done a jacket and pant, because the client didn't want any drama, and drama  is the only way to transition a pantsuit from day to night -- minus the drama, the asshole client would've looked like Hillary Clinton doing a meet and greet at an IHOP in Iowa.

He could not have done a classic take on prim, because the asshole client also wanted "flirty" (but no limbs showing).

Maxi's are very in right now. I'm sure there are people wearing maxis to work. Are they in executive positions or working at law firms? No. But not everyone works in an office, especially not these women.

On the other hand, that particular crew member (whose job I forget) probably can't wear any sort of skirt or nice pants to work in the first place, making the whole "day to evening" part of the challenge absurd from the get-go. I've done production in theaters (not tv though) and there is absolutely NOTHING I would wear out for an evening after working in it all day, unless "out for the evening" meant grabbing chicken wings and beer at a pub near the theater, and wearing my dirty jeans or paint stained coveralls was ok

IIRC, part of the challenge parameter for everyone had this silly "day to evening" component and for these women particularly, it made ZERO sense. No one doing physical work all day is going to go out for the evening in nice clothes without washing up or in the clothes they labored in all day, any more than someone who's been running around the Caribbean in the hot humid sun is going to go back to the ship and dine at the Captain's table without showering. They throw in "day to evening" for challenges because it's something that many working women want, but they haven't used it appropriately yet this season.

I don't recall the client saying she didn't want drama, but even if she did, "flirty" and "dramatic" are not even close to the same thing. A loose flowy long sleeve with maybe a ruffle on the cuff can be flirty and not prim. A outfit with pants doesn't have to be a fug pantsuit with a jacket. It can be trendy pants with a blouse. No need to go matchy-matchy as though it's a politician trying to avoid looking stylish thinking it will impress a certain voting block.

• Love 5

I'm still firmly #TeamCandice. Her look this week wasn't good, and even she posted a tweet poking fun at her design, but I don't get people in this thread acting like she hasn't done any good work on the show. I think she's been the most consistently strong designer by a wide margin. Before this week even her misses were just overworked; at least she has new ideas and a clear point of view.

I think maybe people are still holding the team challenge meltdown against her, but really, if we've come to learn anything about Ashley it's that the woman is a spigot. I wouldn't doubt if most of that was just her being overly sensitive, since lord knows the producers would have milked the footage if everyone had truly been ganging up against her. I've never seen Candice be anything but supportive in the workroom, including forgoing the opportunity to sabotage the other designers last week. Even her talking head critiques are always fair and on point. 

But to each their own I guess...

• Love 2
film noire, on 10 Oct 2015 - 2:39 PM, said:

..the mind works things through,  while you're doing something else.

Exactly!  I'm a poet, and I've written some of my best poems while driving around town doing errands, or just before I fall asleep at night.  It also works in the shower or on the toilet.  :)

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 9

I'm still firmly #TeamCandice. Her look this week wasn't good, and even she posted a tweet poking fun at her design, but I don't get people in this thread acting like she hasn't done any good work on the show. I think she's been the most consistently strong designer by a wide margin. Before this week even her misses were just overworked; at least she has new ideas and a clear point of view.

I think maybe people are still holding the team challenge meltdown against her, but really, if we've come to learn anything about Ashley it's that the woman is a spigot. I wouldn't doubt if most of that was just her being overly sensitive, since lord knows the producers would have milked the footage if everyone had truly been ganging up against her. I've never seen Candice be anything but supportive in the workroom, including forgoing the opportunity to sabotage the other designers last week. Even her talking head critiques are always fair and on point. 

But to each their own I guess...

I enjoy her critiques much more than her designs.  You're right that she has the most consistent point of view, her work is usually very well done, and she does seem to keep her wits about her.  I'm just not much of a fan of her "aesthetic," so it's immaterial to me if she wins or if it's one of the others. 

• Love 1
I wish Swapnil's designs had reflected more of his native India. 

That would have been nice, but I don't believe Swapnil does high end Indian designer wear. Perhaps that is why I have never heard of him. For high fashion traditional Indian outfits, look to Ritu Kumar, Neeta Lulla, Tarun Tahilani and Manish Malhotra.

• Love 1

I enjoy her critiques much more than her designs.

I'm wondering if they are 'grooming' her for another show? I think she's had more THs than anyone and between being very articulate about the designs and designers and being so helpful and supportive in the workroom, I'm just wondering if they are kicking around an idea for her to have her own show. They did it for Austin/Santino so maybe? Or a mentoring gig on PRJr or something like that?

I believe she wanted Greensleeves -- flirty, but not dramatic-- and able to go from day to evensong.

medieval-woolen-dress-green-sleeves-1.jp

And Swapnil *totally* should've given this to her!  It's super high-fashion if you're into Ren Faires and subtlety. 

"I don't like myself much lookswise and I'm kinda put off that I was nominated for an on-air makeover.  Please fix this, using scrap fabric, in around 27 hours, or I'll do my best Grumpy Cat impression."

Switching gears, my issues with Candace are in two general areas - she's got no taste IMO and is incredibly repetitive (I thought her 'tastemaker' outfit and the collaboration with Ashley were absolutely awful, and she should've been cut before her crew member even made it all the way down the runway in her Adam and Eve outfit), and she thinks she's a lot smarter and more insightful than she is, and I think she's one of *those* who thinks having children makes her more thinking, feeling and astute than are others.  No.  Candace is a little bit of a Mrs. Malaprop too, which doesn't help her.  She's got a lot of confidence.  Bless her heart.

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 6

This came up on my Facebook feed:

From Tim Gunn's page

I seldom enter the fray, but reading the comments after the airing of episode 10, I must: NO PRODUCER MANIPULATIONS.

• Love 1

I find this totally unfair so I'm going to take it bit by bit...

She's got no taste IMO (I thought her 'tastemaker' outfit and the collaboration with Ashley were absolutely awful, and she should've been cut before her crew member even made it all the way down the runway in her Adam and Eve outfit)

I just don't know how you can look at her black dress with the white jacket (which should have beaten Blake's unfinished look) or the Neverland piece and think she has no taste. IMO those have been the best looks all season from any designer. It might not be your taste, but I know that I can at least appreciate Kelly's point of view even if I don't particularly care for it. You may not have liked the Venice look but I think most people disagree. If anything, the pants were the weakest link and they were Ashley's contribution. I fully acknowledge that this week was bad, but I don't think one bad look trumps all of her past work.

...and is incredibly repetitive

I just looked back at all of her designs again and I see very little repetition. This past week was a bit like the unconventional computer challenge but that's about it. Yes, she used leather on a few pieces, but hardly all of them. Yes, she likes black, okay... but the designs, patterns and textures are always varied. What's "repetitive" is her general POV, but I think that's a strength, not a flaw. Not to mention that the collections she just showed at the London and Paris fashion weeks were incredibly different from anything she's done on the show.

she thinks she's a lot smarter and more insightful than she is

Her critiques and talking heads, IMO, have been fair and correct. I don't know how you can say she's acting more "insightful than she is" when she's being legitimately insightful. I haven't sensed any arrogance. Every designer is asked to critique the other looks... it falls on the editors if you think they're showing Candice's too much. At least she critiques the actual clothes and isn't just calling people "mediocre" like whatsherface.

I think she's one of *those* who thinks having children makes her more thinking, feeling and astute than are others.

I just don't even know where this is coming from... She's talked about her kids maybe twice.

Candace is a little bit of a Mrs. Malaprop too, which doesn't help her. 

I haven't noticed her mixing up words, but even if she does, who cares... it's not like she's running for Speaker of the House. She said she was on her own at 14... forgive her for not having perfect grammar.

She's got a lot of confidence. Bless her heart.

Honestly, I find your comment a lot more arrogant than anything she's ever said.  I mean, I may be coming off as some sort of Candice groupie at this point, but I just found this ridiculously harsh. No one has to like everyone, but come on... there's no need to attack a human being.

Edited by emeybee
  • Love 1
"I kept saying to the judges that there was one designer in particular that needed to go because I felt that once that designer left, it would A) send a resounding message to all of the remaining designers about how serious this is and B) the laziest of the lot would be gone and it would help eradicate all of the other laziness."

Given all Tim's coddling of Ken and Helen, who's hateful antics directly affected (as in distressed) the other designers emotionally, I think his priorities of acceptable behavior is seriously screwed up.

• Love 14

With apologies, I edit to add:

This was supposed to be the group that loved each other and got along. I guess we can see what kind of season that's adding up to.  At least everyone -- or most everyone -- looked sad that Swapnil left.

Edited by gutette1
  • Love 4

Once again, the topic is THIS episode.  Not Santino, not Jay, not the Tim Gunn article, not how Tim has treated people in past seasons.  Please discuss those in a past season's thread, Media (if article) thread, or the Tim Gunn thread.

• Love 2

It is making me nuts not knowing the real reason for TPTB turning on Swapnil. In all of the talking head interviews the other designers have had nothing bad to say about his personality and he seems like a fun, goofy guy. So WTF, show? Also: not buying the 'no producer manipulation' line that Tim is pushing via social media.

• Love 11

Yeah, I'm gonna third or fourth the people who said that since Tim gave an interview where he flat-out said that he, a producer, lobbied the judges for a desired outcome, there was producer manipulation.

• Love 10

If you look in the Swapnil thread, it is said that Tim went to the judges several times behind the scenes asking them to cut Swapnil because he thought he was lazy (not because of his actual work) which is why Zac had those out of nowhere comments about how they had to deal with Swapnil's "mediocrity" week after week. That to me completely taints this season. The designers should be judged on their output and not on what the mentor thinks of their work ethic. The whole episode (after knowing this) looked like a staged, clunky producer driven storyline.

Hmmm....here's food for thought : what if Swapnil's creative process is to run around, stay in his head, and smoke cigarettes until inspiration strikes? When I was in college, I never wrote a paper in a timely fashion. I farted around, drank coffee, gathered my thoughts, chain smoked cigarettes (just like Swapnil) and finally wrote the paper in the wee hours of the morning. That was my process, and even though it sounds crazy, I am not a lazy person and I was an A/B student. That process just worked for me. If this is the case for Swapnil, I don't necessarily think it's fair for Tim (or anyone else) to call him lazy. That's just their perception of his behavior, but who are they to determine his "laziness." I personally thought Swapnil would win the whole damn thing easily, and totally surprised by the sudden concept of Swapnil not working to his highest capacity. I liked many of the clothes he created and thought he was robbed of first place a few times. Maybe he knew how people were reacting to him and it messed with his head and he floundered. I don't know what happened, but pretty shitty of Tim to speak of him to the judges like that.

Also, real model challenges need to be a co-creation. The truth is that people don't know what they want (as someone mentioned up thread) and this is why people stage homes (as an example) and give a concrete vision of a possibility. Swapnil had a responsibility to co create with his model and help create a new vision of something, but difficult to do when someone can't articulate what they really like and is just a sour puss all around. Tim freaking out and then dragging this woman away didn't help matters. At least he let Ashley and her model do a "mind meld." Tim was very clearly over Swapnil for whatever reason and didn't care about a positive end result. He just wanted to yell at him.

• Love 17
I really liked Kelly's overalls. I've been wishing for overalls to come back since...well, the early 00's and I'm so happy!

You go right ahead and wear overalls if you want to, whether or not there is ever an official comeback! I recently found a pair of mine that I got in the early '90s in art school (they're Lucky brand, so clearly I mush have scored those pricy bastards at a thrift store because I did NOT have high-end-overalls dough to spend back then), and have started wearing them again.

When I was in college, I never wrote a paper in a timely fashion. I farted around, drank coffee, gathered my thoughts, chain smoked cigarettes (just like Swapnil) and finally wrote the paper in the wee hours of the morning. That was my process, and even though it sounds crazy, I am not a lazy person and I was an A/B student.

We had the same system. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

No, Ashley. Your model cannot wear that dress to a wedding. However, Halloween is coming up. Just add a veil and pop in some fangs. I am disappointed in Ashley too. Her first winning outfit would have looked better than this fashion failure.

By now, all contestants should know that Nina Garcia does not like color. She likes neutral or warm muted tones. Hot pink is definitely out. Heidi wants boobs featured.

Glad to see Swapnil go. He lost interest in the competition and I lost interest in him.

Speaking of boring...please don't have anymore goth contestants. I just can't look at it anymore. It is no longer novel. It is dated and tiring.

The Rachel Zoe Fashionably Late commercials are killing me. That voice! It grates.

Edited by Showthyme
  • Love 2
Speaking of boring...please don't have anymore goth contestants. I just can't look at it anymore. It is no longer novel. It is dated and tiring.

Huh? People who dress gothy (or any other specific way) are not doing it for (or to) you, or necessarily concerned about being "novel";  they're wearing the shit they like. I mean, I'm no fan of, say, pastel twinsets or almost anything from Banana Republic or those preppie boots with fold-over "ankle sweaters" that people seem to love, but wear what you like. Goth's been a thing forever and isn't going anywhere (thank goodness).

Unrelated, but amusing (to me, anyway): I used to work with a girl who was always assumed to be a goth, even though she listened to top-40 music and wore pretty unremarkable things like Keds and Gap clothes and whatever. She got so tired of saying, "No, my family just has dark hair and light skin."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

Swapnil will be back next week with the TGS. They would otherwise be short a week with Jake self-eliminating.

This is an intriguing scenario, and could explain some of the seemingly manufactured drama of this week's episode.  I had assumed Tim was holding back the save for Ashley, but perhaps this is how it will play out.  Hmmmmmm.... Swapnil comes back, surges ahead in all his former glory, and takes it all.  ????  And Tim gets credit for shaking him out of his funk and getting him back on track??

This is an intriguing scenario, and could explain some of the seemingly manufactured drama of this week's episode.  I had assumed Tim was holding back the save for Ashley, but perhaps this is how it will play out.  Hmmmmmm.... Swapnil comes back, surges ahead in all his former glory, and takes it all.  ????  And Tim gets credit for shaking him out of his funk and getting him back on track??

AND would provide a redemption arc for cranky Tim when Swapnil tells us all how right he was to blow up.

• Love 3

AND would provide a redemption arc for cranky Tim when Swapnil tells us all how right he was to blow up.

Exactly!!

Now I can't wait to see what happens.  This being a made-up, planned drama makes so many things come together that just seemed so wrong.  It makes sense from a production point of view because somebody has to come back so there's the correct number of episodes.  It makes Tim losing it out of basically nowhere make sense because it was all pretty much a sham. It makes his not hugging (or even making a gesture towards) Swapnil make sense.  Oooh, ooooh, this could be it. 

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 1

In general, I'm surprised by how many people here are defending Swapnil. Were any of his model's requests/demands unreasonable? As others have said, it's not hard to accommodate for not showing arms and legs. Sleeves do exist, and so do pants. Make a variation on a gown or something.

The reason why I put some of this in the model's court is that he pretty much stuck to her specs.  He made one long sleeved shirt, she didn't like it.  He made another long sleeved shirt, she didn't like that either.  So, he had to borrow fabric from Ashley to make the last shirt.  He also made a longish skirt (mid calf) to wear with the shirts.

She wouldn't tell him what she wanted, just that she didn't like what he had produced.  That makes her a little bit unreasonable in my book.

And even so, Ashley's horrid dress was much worse.

• Love 15

I don't think Ashley choked. There was never anything to choke on! She has awful taste. I never understood how she got on the show in the first place. She should be teaching a home economics class or something. I've seen more stylish clothing on etsy.

• Love 8

I find this totally unfair so I'm going to take it bit by bit...

I just don't know how you can look at her black dress with the white jacket (which should have beaten Blake's unfinished look) or the Neverland piece and think she has no taste. IMO those have been the best looks all season from any designer. It might not be your taste, but I know that I can at least appreciate Kelly's point of view even if I don't particularly care for it. You may not have liked the Venice look but I think most people disagree. If anything, the pants were the weakest link and they were Ashley's contribution. I fully acknowledge that this week was bad, but I don't think one bad look trumps all of her past work.

I just looked back at all of her designs again and I see very little repetition. This past week was a bit like the unconventional computer challenge but that's about it. Yes, she used leather on a few pieces, but hardly all of them. Yes, she likes black, okay... but the designs, patterns and textures are always varied. What's "repetitive" is her general POV, but I think that's a strength, not a flaw. Not to mention that the collections she just showed at the London and Paris fashion weeks were incredibly different from anything she's done on the show.

Her critiques and talking heads, IMO, have been fair and correct. I don't know how you can say she's acting more "insightful than she is" when she's being legitimately insightful. I haven't sensed any arrogance. Every designer is asked to critique the other looks... it falls on the editors if you think they're showing Candice's too much. At least she critiques the actual clothes and isn't just calling people "mediocre" like whatsherface.

I just don't even know where this is coming from... She's talked about her kids maybe twice.

I haven't noticed her mixing up words, but even if she does, who cares... it's not like she's running for Speaker of the House. She said she was on her own at 14... forgive her for not having perfect grammar.

Honestly, I find your comment a lot more arrogant than anything she's ever said.  I mean, I may be coming off as some sort of Candice groupie at this point, but I just found this ridiculously harsh. No one has to like everyone, but come on... there's no need to attack a human being.

Honestly, you're being nasty a la old school boards on boards and taking things here - namely, what I think about  Candace - far too personally.  I'm watching a TV show, and enjoying snarking on Candace, who best I know isn't a fellow poster, and yes, I think she is absolutely arrogant as all hell.  I thought this after the challenge aufing Amanda, and I think her 'I can help' attitude is absurd.  Feel free to PM me and explain your vision about attacks on humans, or do another exegesis on my comment, bit by bit.

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 11

In my mind, the difference of opinion upthread illustrates perfectly exactly why this show is still on. Even though the show isn't even sort of about finding and nurturing amazing fashion talent. Even though the quality of the designers, the challenges, the judges, the mentoring, and just about everything else has declined steadily. It's because as crappy  as this show has become, people still form MAJOR opinions about what happens on every episode, and still defend their opinions as passionately as they did in season one.

We're all still watching. We all still care. (Maybe not quite as many of us as in years ago, but still millions of us.)  And that's all the producers really want. They don't give a flying fig about being fair to the contestants, finding new talent, being logical in the evaluations, or consistent in the mentoring. And they (obviously) don't care what kind of editing acrobatics and manipulation they to do to manufacture the storyline and "characters". They just need us to care, so our butts are in the seats every week, and advertisers will fork over the $$$. We fall for it every season. How many of us have vowed in the past to quit this show? I know I have, and more than once. Yet here we all are.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 7

Anyone else see that odd little show that Austin and Santino did? They drove into small towns and made an outfit for a local. They slept in bizarre BnBs and made do with local fabric stories.

That show...sounds amazing.  Is it online somewhere?  I wish they would have added a third -- Anthony maybe.  It could have been a delicious "Too Wong Foo" fashion style show.

Having seen Swapnil's FW collection -- I feel like viewers may be the ones who miss out in not seeing it, the pieces looked beautiful.  

At this point I don't think Tim would spit on Swapnil if he were on fire -- that's how real the hate is that I feel coming from him.  I would be shocked if he used the save for Swapnil, when weepy Ashley is there in the wings just waiting to be rightfully auf'ed and saved because Tim likes her as a person.

Boobies. Heidi wants boobies featured.

Thats the medical term for them right?

• Love 3

Hi to all ,,new to this forum but not new to reality shows

I am hoping for Edmond or Kelly to win

Episode 1 I liked Ashley but every week I like her less....her print choices are horrible and this week the peplum was horrible.I also am tired of her whining and crying.

Go away ... and Candace can go too....I do think she has a future in designing Halloween costumes or maybe Cos Play costumes

I am not sorry to see Swapnil go - he did not try ..I wonder if he felt this show was beneath him due to his success in his country? He just didn't care and it showed.

I think that is why Tim went "off" on him?

• Love 1