Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The Chargers took a time out.  There?

I thought this game was going for a tie.  Just a fascinating choice.  Did it change the calculation or were the Raiders always going to go for a field goal?

Oh well, at least that was an interesting OT. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Well, that was certainly an interesting way to end the season!

The Raiders are one of the few AFC teams I like, so, yay, but a big boo to this letting Big Rapist into the playoffs as well for what is hopefully his last season (so I can go back to having the Steelers on my short AFC list).

And, what the hell Rams defense?  There are TWO halves, and you have to play both of them.  By not doing that, I may have to endure the Cowboys in the playoffs for a game more than I should before they inevitably shit the bed as nature commands.

• Love 4

The teams were not going for the tie (though it looked like they were in the end there).  The Raiders have more class this year.  I hardly think John Madden would've wanted the Raiders to throw the game for whatever reason

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Carey said:

The teams were not going for the tie (though it looked like they were in the end there).  The Raiders have more class this year.  I hardly think John Madden would've wanted the Raiders to throw the game for whatever reason

You play to win, not tie. Carlson is an All Pro kicker. Use him. 

• Love 3

It’s okay. The Chargers have a great future in Herbert and should only get better every year. They are actually fun to root for since Rivers isn’t their QB, but I wonder if their coach is done with all the weird play calling all season. The Raiders will likely lose Carr and I wonder who they will pick up in the off-season. 

Edited by twoods
6 hours ago, twoods said:

It’s okay. The Chargers have a great future in Herbert and should only get better every year. They are actually fun to root for since Rivers isn’t their QB, but I wonder if their coach is done with all the weird play calling all season. The Raiders will likely lose Carr and I wonder who they will pick up in the off-season. 

The Chargers will be fine.  A lot of potential going forward.  Not sure where or what they'll add to, but if they add to their team, it should be enough to get to the next level.  The good news is that some teams might be taking a step back starting next year, including the Steelers and the Raiders.  If Vegas loses Carr, it'll help in the division, unless Denver gets their QB.  Really the Broncos offense is an embarrassment so they'll need more than a decent QB IMO.

You never know what you'll get with Pittsburgh, even with Ben gone.  They seem to find a way to be in the mix regardless of the situation (ex. 2019 with nothing at the QB level).  Cleveland might be good again, and I expect Baltimore to be a major threat in 2022.  Cincinnati probably stays the course.  That's just the AFC North; in the East, I imagine Buffalo & New England are going to be battling it out there.  Frank Reich ought be fired a minute ago so who knows with the AFC South; Tennessee isn't going anywhere.

LA might need to win the AFC West, but they have a decent team to be among the Top 7 within the conference.  Staley just got there, but he probably will not last long with those risks + a lack of postseason success.

The AFC should be loaded in 2022.  A lot of playoff-caliber teams as it stands now.  The NFC isn't stacked as much, but there are more teams I'd pick to win the title whereas I don't think there are that many in the AFC that can get to the Super Bowl (and win there)

• Love 2

While Carr said in his interview after the game that the TO by the Chargers pissed them off they were always going for the win.   

What I am trying to find out is if an interim head coach ever took his team to the playoffs.   Usually an interim is because the HC is so bad they had to get rid of him.   Which means a team is not playing well.   I know Bruce Arians took over the year Chuck Pagano was out for his cancer treatment but that was a team already playing well AND he had most of the season to get them together.   The Raiders were a hot mess when they lost Jon Gruden in the way they did.   I am giving HUGE props to Bisaccia for getting his team into the playoffs.  

• Love 3

A tie gets you Patrick Mahomes instead of not Patrick Mahomes, plus pro athletes virtually always have enough pride to play for the win regardless of whether it's in team's future best interests (see the Lions and Jaguars).  That's motivation enough without needing the memory of your team's head coach from the Carter administration to force you to play to win.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

While Carr said in his interview after the game that the TO by the Chargers pissed them off they were always going for the win.   

What I am trying to find out is if an interim head coach ever took his team to the playoffs.   Usually an interim is because the HC is so bad they had to get rid of him.   Which means a team is not playing well.   I know Bruce Arians took over the year Chuck Pagano was out for his cancer treatment but that was a team already playing well AND he had most of the season to get them together.   The Raiders were a hot mess when they lost Jon Gruden in the way they did.   I am giving HUGE props to Bisaccia for getting his team into the playoffs.  

This was the first time in 60 years that an interim HC took its team to the playoffs in the same year.  It was rather impressive, because as mentioned, most teams make an in-season change because their team sucks & are getting a head start to the next season.  In Vegas' case, they actually were doing well on the field (winning) before Jon Gruden was ousted.  However, way too many issues off the field, and then Kansas City turned back into Kansas City.

I don't know whether the league will finally do away with ties.  Personally, I think they might wait until they get to 18 games (maybe by 2025).  However, last night's game, IMO, was the best shot at the NFL reviewing the OT format or whatever it would take to prevent a tie

The NFL has fucked with enough crap, please don’t take ties away.  From now until the end of time there will always be that one guy who is surprised that a game can end in a tie and it’s delightful.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

It is rather amazing that the NFL of all sports, is the only one that (still) has them.  Obviously no ties in College Hoops, the NBA, or MLB.  The NHL does it right with their scoring system (IMO), and College Football sucks in terms of OT.  Ties are exciting but can be a pain if your team is the one that's affected by it.  That was the case last night & in 2018.  However, if Carr took a knee with 38 seconds left in OT or one for the FG try, I would've LMAO!

I'll get the opening lines on here as soon as possible, but the NFL typically stays busy between the end of the regular season and the postseason.  In other words, today is Black Monday, where you usually see several head coaches, GMs, etc lose their jobs.

As mentioned, Vic Fangio is out, which was all but likely Saturday night before becoming official Sunday morning.

Matt Nagy's ouster is now official.  That was pretty much inevitable in the weeks leading up to the end.  Nothing on Mike Zimmer, Joe Judge or Frank Reich yet.  Not sure about Carolina or Seattle, but it is early

ETA: Mike Zimmer gone.  And so is Brian Flores though!  Sorta surprising, but the only surprise is doing so on Black Monday when they could've kicked him out after their loss to Jacksonville in London

Edited by Carey
Coaching "Fires"
  • Love 1

Colts total collapse the last two weeks. Inexcusable loss to the jags to miss the playoffs.  Wentz was awful.  D played awful.  Never really in the game.  

How you go from back to back wins over pats and Cardinals to that I have no idea. 

I've defended Reich and Wentz all year but they've got one more season.  I know Wentz has only been there a year but his decision making in critical times has been atrocious.  He should never, ever be allowed to try a shovel pass again. Never. Every time it causes bad things to happen.  The only thing saving him is the wrs/ tight ends for the colts are weak.   More options may help but he can't play again like he did yesterday in a critical game.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

This was the first time in 60 years that an interim HC took its team to the playoffs in the same year.  It was rather impressive, because as mentioned, most teams make an in-season change because their team sucks & are getting a head start to the next season.  In Vegas' case, they actually were doing well on the field (winning) before Jon Gruden was ousted.  However, way too many issues off the field, and then Kansas City turned back into Kansas City.

I don't know whether the league will finally do away with ties.  Personally, I think they might wait until they get to 18 games (maybe by 2025).  However, last night's game, IMO, was the best shot at the NFL reviewing the OT format or whatever it would take to prevent a tie

Bruce arians took the colts to the playoffs in lucks rookie season.  Pagani had cancer and out most of year.

Technically Pagano came back week 17 that year but he was out from like week 3 onward. 

Another BS firing:  Brian Flores.  His team started like crap this year, it’s true, but they bounced back admirably, and he’s had promising seasons all three years.  Who else are they gonna get?  I’d rather Carolina fire Matt Rhule, than Miami fire Brian Flores and Denver firing Vic Fangio

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Another BS firing:  Brian Flores.  His team started like crap this year, it’s true, but they bounced back admirably, and he’s had promising seasons all three years.  Who else are they gonna get?  I’d rather Carolina fire Matt Rhule, than Miami fire Brian Flores and Denver firing Vic Fangio

As a life long Dolphins fan, this is such a stupid move. Firing the GM would have been the move due to the less than stellar off season moves.  I hope Flores gets another shot as a HC.

• Love 5

Apparently it was due to a power struggle between the HC and the GM in Miami.  At least his tenure wasn't shorter than Adam Gase.

The thing is Miami is playoff bound had they won at Nassau.  Which was a tough task.  However, if there was an issue between the HC and the GM, Flores possibly gets bounced anyway

Man, imagine if Houston finally trades Watson to Miami, but before hiring its next head coach, which ends up being Bill O'Brien

Edited by Carey
Horrible Predictions
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

Man, imagine if Houston finally trades Watson to Miami, but before hiring its next head coach, which ends up being Bill O'Brien

You really don't want me to sleep for the next three months, don't you? :-)

Edited by Wildcard
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Wildcard said:
5 minutes ago, Carey said:

You really don't want me to sleep for the next three months, don't you? :-)

Count that in the category of "As much as I would hate to see it, I'm kinda rooting for it!"  HAHA!

FWIW, I think the heat is more toward the Texans higher ups and not so much O'Brien, at least as the HC.  The GM version sorta wrecked things so there could be issues there.  Nonetheless, Houston is a dump of an organization that had a chance to be great but say no thanks

• Love 1

As @Carey said, Mike Zimmer is gone as head  coach of the Vikings. That's been rumored for some time now. Spielman as GM is gone, too. I bet he will end up in Detroit with his brother.

After the game yesterday as Zimmer was walking across the field, I saw him looking around as if he was thinking "this was my last game here as head coach." I thought he was a good coach. I don't know what happened this season.. it was like the team had a split personality. If it could have played the entire game every game like it did the second half of yesterday's game, we would be in the playoffs.

I don't know who is out there that would be any better. Maybe that Saints coach who took over for one game. He had energy.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

WOW.   Flores actually had them in contention.  Always amazed that in a power struggle, the good coach loses.   The coach is responsible for what happens on Sunday.   Why you would choose the GM who is not ultimately responsible for the games over that I have no clue.

• Love 3

The Flores outcoached Belichick twice this season and Harbaugh in the Zero blitz game, where he played one defense most of the game and Jackson couldn’t solve it.  I’d want him if I needed to hire a coach. 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Gettleman is long past due to be fired.

Gettleman's contract is up, and I haven't heard anything about the Giants offering to bring him back. I assume they will let him retire gracefully.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yesterday was the best day of regular season action in any sport since the final day of the 2011 MLB season when a bunch of teams were playing to win the wild card and every team was playing for playoff seeding.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Yesterday was the best day of regular season action in any sport since the final day of the 2011 MLB season when a bunch of teams were playing to win the wild card and every team was playing for playoff seeding.

I agree!  There were so many teams to root for and against - depending on where your own team stood - and it was an exciting day of football!

Yikes!  Heads are rolling today in the coaching world.  

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Still waiting to hear Joe Judge’s future.  Aft yesterday he should be gone, and Gettleman too.  Gettleman is long past due to be fired.

Rumor hath it he is STAYING.   Because Flores who actually made his team competitive is gone but Joe Judge who basically gave up yesterday needs another chance.

Gettleman is retiring.   A new GM is gonna want his own coach.   The Giants is one of the premier jobs in football, but no decent GM will touch it if Judge is still the coach.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Gettleman's contract is up, and I haven't heard anything about the Giants offering to bring him back. I assume they will let him retire gracefully.

Those cowards let him retire.  

• Love 2

As a New England fan, I can’t say that I knew that much about Judge as ST coordinator. Certainly Special Teams has been a NE strength over the years, and I thought Judge presented himself well in his introductory days as Giants Coach. I would have guessed that he’d be a pretty good HC. 

Nope. Sorry. I was wrong. He’s a totally delusional blowhard who has no answers for anything. Belichick’s revenge on the Giants I guess.  Giants are now currently tied with Jacksonville as the sorryest franchise in the league with Houston, Detroit, and the Jets somehow a level above. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

As a New England fan, I can’t say that I knew that much about Judge as ST coordinator. Certainly Special Teams has been a NE strength over the years, and I thought Judge presented himself well in his introductory days as Giants Coach. I would have guessed that he’d be a pretty good HC. 

The Belichick coaching tree is pretty bad, especially in the pros.  And arguably the best of the group (Flores) just got fired.

• Love 4

We rightly mock Bill O'Brien's personnel decisions, but he's had five winning seasons out of seven and four playoff appearances. He's gotta be considered the best from the Belichick tree with Flores a probable second contending with Mangini who did make the playoffs once.

I wonder how McDaniel would have fared had he taken the Indy job? He certainly would have made some different decisions regarding the QB decision, though not necessarily better decisions. I know it's hard to envision doing worse than sending away a 1st and 3rd round pick for Wentz, but McDaniel was the guy who drafted Tebow in the first round way back when. Hopefully he's evolved since then if he ever takes another HC job.

Edited by Fukui San
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

As a lifelong Steeler fan, that Charger/Raider game was killing me, but yes to the playoffs. I want it for Tomlin. I want it for Watt.

Also a lifelong Steeler fan the Steeler/Ravens game damn near gave me a stroke.  Went to bed at halftime of the Raiders/Chargers game and if I had stayed up that surely would have given me a stroke.  I would love for Tomlin to at least get a playoff win.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

We rightly mock Bill O'Brien's personnel decisions, but he's had five winning seasons out of seven and four playoff appearances. He's gotta be considered the best from the Belichick tree with Flores a probable second contending with Mangini who did make the playoffs once.

I wonder how McDaniel would have fared had he taken the Indy job? He certainly would have made some different decisions regarding the QB decision, though not necessarily better decisions. I know it's hard to envision doing worse than sending away a 1st and 3rd round pick for Wentz, but McDaniel was the guy who drafted Tebow in the first round way back when. Hopefully he's evolved since then if he ever takes another HC job.

Josh McDaniels would have been long since fired, like the minute luck retired or shortly after

You can criticize Reich for bringing in Wentz and yes the price was high but the alternative last year was a huge ransom for Stafford or go with a second year QB who has since been cut or draft a QB when all had been picked by their choice in round one. QBs come at a high price in this league.  Reich has had four starting QBs in four years and still had a respectable record, one playoff win three winning seasons in four years they are in contention.  He is fast and loose on fourth down and going for it often but he has had them in contention with 4 different QBs, even with brissett in the sub .500 year they were doing well the first few months then vinatieri can't hit a FG, brissett was hurt and they're down to journeyman back up starters.  

Mcdaniels would not have lasted.  

The decision on Reich/wentz will come down to irsay and Ballard.  There are three potential HOF QBs on the market , they come at a cost but colts have cap space.  The problem too is not just Reich but Ballard, he had had huge cap space and won't spend it.  Whether that is him covering for irsay who knows but I dont think it was just Reich who wanted Wentz over Stafford. Ballard probably wanted the cheaper option. 

Plus there are problems on the D. No pass rush. Limited corners in man coverage.  No good #2WR.  There are team problems Ballard has missed on beyond Wentz.  

43 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Also a lifelong Steeler fan the Steeler/Ravens game damn near gave me a stroke.  Went to bed at halftime of the Raiders/Chargers game and if I had stayed up that surely would have given me a stroke.  I would love for Tomlin to at least get a playoff win.  

I have more than a little bit of a crush on Mike Tomlin, but who doesn't?

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I'd like for Tomlin and the Steelers to get a playoff win, and I'm also rooting for Big Ben to get one last win.

Chiefs-Steelers is the Sunday night game, so even if Ben's last game is on par with Marino's I guarantee that Cris Collinsworth will give him an epic boot licking worthy of what Favre got.

• Love 1