Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Wentz cleared protocols today, so he's good to play tomorrow.

I think pretty much all the Covid colts are back tomorrow.

On the other hand we decided to give up our tickets because of how bad it is here. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Who else thinks that much of the playoffs will be decided by which team(s) are least touched by Covid in important areas?

The NFL has decided that playing the games is more important than how competetive the games are.   

• Love 2

In the “everyone knew what was going to happen including children who have never seen a football game” department we present…AB.

Did I miss something while watching the Giants look like a JV team?  Is Patrick Mahomes in street clothes?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

The Jets somehow remembered they were the Jets in the 4th. It would have been nice for them to beat the Bucs but we all can’t have nice things. 

Chiefs giving up a lead will always be entertaining. 

I was reading a Twitter thread about the Antonio Brown situation and a lot of people were just replying “CTE” and then a few others were pushing back, saying that Brown was always a problem.  But then I saw a comment that disagreed, and said Brown was never the same (and his erratic behavior really started) “after the Burfict hit” in 2016.  I had forgotten about that hit until it was mentioned, but if that’s true (and there’s been some press around that theory in the past), that’s really sad and scary (considering the criminal behavior that Brown has been accused of so far and what some of the worst CTE-related criminal cases have produced).

Edited by Peace 47
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, diet7up said:
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Antonio Brown acting like a complete asshole? Color me shocked.

I knew it was just a matter of time before he self destructed.  

I think we all knew it

Not an if but when.  

43 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think we all knew it.  Not an if but when.  

It's sad to see that happen on live TV.  Tom tried to help him when he came to the Bucs, but he needs more help than what the team can offer him.  I hope that he doesn't injure himself or somebody else being in this state of mind.  

I was glad to see all of the Madden tributes today.  As someone said, JM is a part of the fabric that makes up the NFL.   As a fan, I'm glad that I got to watch his career as a broadcaster.  He truly made the game fun and interesting.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Close this terrible stadium.  Is this RFK with a new name, or did they build this dumpster fire new?  

Built new in 1997 by the previous owner, Jack Kent Cooke (aka The Squire).  Mr. ebk went to one game there and said he'd never go back.  I've always said the only reason I'd ever go is for a Led Zeppelin concert, so I'm off the hook. 

RFK was a dump, but it was our dump.  This place is an affront to all civilized people. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I was glad to see all of the Madden tributes today.  As someone said, JM is a part of the fabric that makes up the NFL.   As a fan, I'm glad that I got to watch his career as a broadcaster.  He truly made the game fun and interesting.  

Apparently I’m the lone holdout who doesn’t care for Madden.  Was he intelligently abt the game?  Did he change it?  Was he fun(for most) to watch?

I would say yes.

But I couldn’t stand his loudmouthed personality.  Sorry.  I made it a point to turn the volume down or switch channels most of the time he was on.

4 minutes ago, roamyn said:

But I couldn’t stand his loudmouthed personality.  Sorry.  I made it a point to turn the volume down or switch channels most of the time he was on.

As I said in an earlier post, being a longsuffering Buc's fan, sometimes the entertainment coming from the broadcast booth helped me get through a lot of those very depressing games with a smile on my face!   I find that the more "animated" coaches are more to my liking too (like Gruden was with the Bucs).  

We all have our preferences on coaches & broadcasters.  That's what makes these conversations interesting!   

I was glad to see the Madden tributes. 

But on the flip side, Dan reeves unfortunately died the same week so there was like a five second message from the announcers ' oh yeah he died too...now let's talk more about Madden!'

Carson Wentz was bad today.  Still colts beat jags week 18 and in the playoffs. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think we all knew it

Not an if but when.  

I knew he'd probably do something stupid but I didn't know that the Bucs would ever be done with him. If the fake vaccination card which involved him lying to his team, teammates and the NFL didn't do him in with the Bucs, I sure as heck wouldn't have pegged "stripping on field" as a last straw. 

And Arians ducking questions wasn't a good look after giving him so many chances.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I knew he'd probably do something stupid but I didn't know that the Bucs would ever be done with him. If the fake vaccination card which involved him lying to his team, teammates and the NFL didn't do him in with the Bucs, I sure as heck wouldn't have pegged "stripping on field" as a last straw. 

And Arians ducking questions wasn't a good look after giving him so many chances.

Can't blame Arians finally getting fed up with AB. Selfish move like that!

1 minute ago, rcc said:

Can't blame Arians finally getting fed up with AB. Selfish move like that!

I think I can.  He gave AB multiple opportunities even after his supposed "last chance."

I think he was probably fed up earlier but looked the other way because of the talent.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

But then I saw a comment that disagreed, and said Brown was never the same (and his erratic behavior really started) “after the Burfict hit” in 2016.

He's been a jerk for so long, it is jarring to watch old interviews in which he just calmly and pleasantly answers questions without insulting anyone.  Whatever the causes, that guy is long gone.

Even though an Arizona loss would have meant the Rams clinched the division, I am still thrilled they beat the Cowboys.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

AB is someone TB12 is strangely loyal to. Idgi but TB 12 seems to really like him and insist on teams signing him.

I think it's just because he's an elite WR who can help him win. They usually aren't available on the street like he was. Too bad he's a near total nutcase.

29 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

First quarter over, Vikings defense is holding the Packers pretty well. But the offense better start doing something or else the defense will get worn out.

As a Eagles fan......Go Pack Go! 😂

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I was reading a Twitter thread about the Antonio Brown situation and a lot of people were just replying “CTE” and then a few others were pushing back, saying that Brown was always a problem.  But then I saw a comment that disagreed, and said Brown was never the same (and his erratic behavior really started) “after the Burfict hit” in 2016.  I had forgotten about that hit until it was mentioned, but if that’s true (and there’s been some press around that theory in the past), that’s really sad and scary (considering the criminal behavior that Brown has been accused of so far and what some of the worst CTE-related criminal cases have produced).

I truly think there is mental illness there. Or he's a spoiled entitled child who us emotionally stunted. 

But his reactions often very much remind me of my own special needs kiddo. 

• Useful 1

The announcer guy needs to remember which team he's talking about. At the end of the half he says the Packers are on the board and get the ball to start the second half.

Does anyone know why Antonio Brown acted that way?

16 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Be honest, fellow Vikings fans, was there any point this first half where they looked like they belonged on the same field as the Packers?

At the end of the half. I was wondering why they weren't playing this way earlier.

Really sad story about Vincent Jackson.

Jackson, it seemed, was an N.F.L. role model, until he was found dead and alone in a hotel room at age 38 in February, just days after his former team won the Super Bowl. Until then, Jackson had hidden his alcoholism and declining cognitive health from the public. Those conditions, though, had accelerated during the pandemic, which had derailed his business and pushed him into isolation.

50 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Too bad he's a near total nutcase.

Given the emphasis on athletes of various sports who are dealing with "mental difficulties," I think he should be given the same consideration as they have been.  I'll refrain from any judgment until we know something to be true.  I think his team is trying to protect him at the moment and not violate any confidentiality rules that might be in play.  

FWIW, people who have true mental issues don't appreciate being called nutcases either.    

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Does anyone know why Antonio Brown acted that way?

Do you mean what underlying issues contribute to him behaving like a self-destructive jackass despite being given chance after chance, or what prompted him to let his jackass flag fly at that particular moment?  If the latter, it was in reaction to being benched, but I haven't read why he got told to sit his ass down in the first place (and I didn't watch that game). 

He clearly has serious problems, and probably some are self inflicted and some are beyond his control.  When it comes to things like rape, I reserve my sympathy for his victim.  But stunts like this, I do think there's more than bratty entitlement behind it, and I feel sorry for him dealing with whatever demons plague him.

• Love 5

Congratulations to the Patriots for making the playoffs. This isn't the same team that won all the Super Bowls especially on offence. BTW where are all the Cowboys fans? They were here last week LOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I think it's just because he's an elite WR who can help him win. They usually aren't available on the street like he was. Too bad he's a near total nutcase.

Except TB12 apparently had Antonio Brown move in with him for a bit in New England and was adamant about his signing in Tampa. 

TB12 isn't known for being sentimental. He seems to really like AB.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

In a game that's pretty bleak for Vikings fans, it was fun to see Bradbury (the center) catch a pass and go for about 10 yards. He caught the ball when Conklin took a hit that made the ball pop out of his arms into Bradbury's.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Do you mean what underlying issues contribute to him behaving like a self-destructive jackass despite being given chance after chance, or what prompted him to let his jackass flag fly at that particular moment?  If the latter, it was in reaction to being benched, but I haven't read why he got told to sit his ass down in the first place (and I didn't watch that game). 

He clearly has serious problems, and probably some are self inflicted and some are beyond his control.  When it comes to things like rape, I reserve my sympathy for his victim.  But stunts like this, I do think there's more than bratty entitlement behind it, and I feel sorry for him dealing with whatever demons plague him.

The second option--what specifically triggered him to have a meltdown like that.

Packers number one seed. Blah. I’m not sure anyone can beat them in Lambeau this year especially in that shitty weather.

And the Cowboys bellyaching about penalties made my eyes roll. I watched them march down the field on two PI calls (one that wasn’t even PI) and score a TD. Maybe don’t be down by double digits at home. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Given the emphasis on athletes of various sports who are dealing with "mental difficulties," I think he should be given the same consideration as they have been.  I'll refrain from any judgment until we know something to be true.  I think his team is trying to protect him at the moment and not violate any confidentiality rules that might be in play.  

The truth is that AB has a long history of behavior ranging from dickish to outright criminal, but has been given multiple chances and had a lot of that excused by fans and players because he's really good at catching a football.  The Bucs are releasing him because he committed the one sin that really matters - he quit on his team.  He needs help and if he (hopefully) gets it then it's fortunate that the final triggering incident is him "retiring" in the most bizarre way we've seen rather than hurting anyone

• Love 11
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

The truth is that AB has a long history of behavior ranging from dickish to outright criminal, but has been given multiple chances and had a lot of that excused by fans and players because he's really good at catching a football. 

I get it, and I'm not excusing his bad behavior.  There are quite a few NFL players still in the league or in broadcasting who did heinous things, so it's not a surprise that AB is still playing.  However, I'm willing to wait and see if there's a different reason (other than being an asshole) for his outburst.   I have sympathy for someone battling some kind of mental issue.  If he was just being a jerk, then good riddance.    

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Reportedly, a coach was on him for screwing up his blocking assignment.

From what I’ve read last night, it started because Arians asked Brown to go back into the game but AB refused (apparently twice) so Arians benched him which started the whole on-field meltdown.

8 hours ago, twoods said:

Packers number one seed. Blah. I’m not sure anyone can beat them in Lambeau this year especially in that shitty weather.

ITA.  Sure Tampa did so last year, but as mentioned, even with the chance of the weather being even worse this year, there will be fans this time around.  Furthermore, the Bucs are not as hot and great this time around; they probably won't even get to Lambeau!

I have a friend who runs a Basketball Podcast.   He knows a guy who knew AB when he was a college student.   This guy is NOT suprised at what happened yesterday.   So that predates the Burfict hit.   AB is a spoiled brat who has been enabled all his life.   He never faced real consequences for his actions, so why should he stop?    When the Steelers released him and he got picked up by the Raiders he behaved so badly they released him, so he could go to the team he really wanted - the Patriots.   then when they released him, he got to go follow his key enabler Tom brady to Tampa Bay and win a Super Bowl.   THEN, he gets a fake vax card instead of getting the FREE SHOT.   Doesn't get fired for that.   So why wouldn't he think he can tell the coach who forgave the fake vax card (and said anyone puts us at risk for Covid they are gone, but still gave AB another chance), when he will play and when he won't.  

As for the WFT stadium.   Yeah the whole thing is falling apart.   Because everything Snyder touches turnes to crap.   At least Jalen Hurts was not injured (couldn't do it sorry).  The smile on his face when he was hugging the fans was great though.   You could tell he was glad they were not hurt and he just enjoyed being with the fans, until security grabbed him out of there.

Yes my Boys lost.    This happens.   When they control their own destiny they SUCK.   If its win and need some help, they do AMAZING.   Don't ask me why.   

Covid is going to determine the Super Bowl this year.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Except TB12 apparently had Antonio Brown move in with him for a bit in New England and was adamant about his signing in Tampa. 

TB12 isn't known for being sentimental. He seems to really like AB.

I think Brady thinks of himself and Guerrero as kind of like lifestyle coaches/gurus. It wouldn't surprise me if he thought he could help "fix" Brown. Though I agree that his core motivation is that AB is talented as hell as a WR.

• Love 4