Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Last bitch about this damn dumb 17 game season…when I turned on ABC just now, I forgot this was the regular season and I thought I was going to watch a playoff game.  Stupid greedy owners.

That's nothing. I turned on football on Thursday evening on the NFL Network and thought it was a new game until I saw a clear edit.  Oh and the clear "week 17" up in the right hand corner signaling it was from last weekend.

But I guess that's my idiocy and not the NFL.

For what it's worth, the "NFL Season Finale" thing is totally laughable.  I'm sorry to say; even though I've done this in the past, maybe I should commit to referring to past seasons as the season number instead of the year (i.e. Season 96, NOT the 2015 NFL Season)

Go Eagles!

Although the Vikings vs Bears is meaningless, I'd like the Vikings to win so they can have a winning record in the division. Right now it's 3-2. Plus Vikings are my team.

Damn useless Eagles.

Ok one last bitch for real I mean it this time - any record set this week is meaningless and should not count.  Hell, let’s make all records stop at week 14, except for the sack record because I don’t think that started counting until there were 16 games.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Damn useless Eagles.

Ok one last bitch for real I mean it this time - any record set this week is meaningless and should not count.  Hell, let’s make all records stop at week 14, except for the sack record because I don’t think that started counting until there were 16 games.

I hope Watt breaks the sack record just because Strahan shouldn't have it - Favre gave it to him, screwing his RT Mark Tauscher in the process.  Tausch played great that year and he was holding his own against the great Michael Strahan when Favre deliberately fell down to give Strahan the record.  Since Tauscher is a Wisconsin Badger, I'd like to see Watt, also a Badger, get the record. 

The game where Strahan got the record should not have been on the final weekend of the season.  The Packers were scheduled to play the Giants in Week 2, but Week 2 was postponed and became the final week of the regular season due to 9/11.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The flag is magic I tell you.   Last time I flew it, the Cowboys scored fifty.   Flew it tonight, and 50 again.   

Wish my flag worked the same way. I’m at the point where I take down the flag and don’t wear anything related to the Panthers on game day in hopes they will win :(

Still doesn’t work!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2

There's a Chicago coach that has a bad haircut. He's a short blond guy and he has a short mullet, two layers above his ears.

His name is Matt Nagy & he really sucks. He will most certainly be fired tomorrow. Justin Fields deserves better than having this incompetent dumbass trying to ruin his young career as a quarterback.

I'm just going through the motions today. I'm not even that excited about these 1pm names right now & I'm not sure that the 4pm games will be any better.

Thanks to this 17 games nonsense, I'm downright confused about the playoff situations.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

I'm not even watching like I have been in past "season finale" weeks.  It's just a case of blah this season.  Sure there are still playoff spots and seedings to be determined, but none of it's a big deal this season.  For example, who cares whether Dallas is the 2-4 seed, and who cares if Baltimore or Pittsburgh backdoor into the playoffs.  Cowboys still will have to deal with Green Bay unless the Niners take out the Packers first.  Ravens and Steelers are as epic as they were from 2002-2016 (for most of those years at least).  No one's fearing a possible AFC Wildcard team this time around.  Next year?  We'll see

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Calvada said:

I hope Watt breaks the sack record just because Strahan shouldn't have it - Favre gave it to him, screwing his RT Mark Tauscher in the process.  Tausch played great that year and he was holding his own against the great Michael Strahan when Favre deliberately fell down to give Strahan the record. 

It's Strahan that Favre screwed over, because he ensured that the record would have an asterisk. And I think that was Favre's real goal. He knew there was a good chance Strahan would break the record against him and this way the narrative would be "Favre gave it to Strahan." And in that way, he actually helped Tauscher as well. Tauscher was certainly playing well that year, but it only takes one play. This way, he got no blame.

It was a typical shitty, no-class move by Favre.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well this Vikings/Bears game sure turned around. Patrick Peterson just intercepted the ball and ran it in for a touchdown. 

I don't think Bears have any penalties while Vikings have several.

Wow, Vikings intercepted the ball again. This time it is Lynch.

Justin Jefferson has 23 yards to go to break Randy Moss's total receiving yards in a season.

They guy with the bad haircut isn't Nagy. His hair is longer than Nagy's but still short.

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Giants scored a touchdown!

They’re down by two scores, you say?  Irrelevant.

Hey Vikings were behind and are now ahead by 2 touchdowns.

Edited by Lamb18
13 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yeesh Colts. I wonder if the Chargers and Raiders will just kneel all game and end in a 0-0 tie so both can get in the playoffs.

Please please please please and I would watch every minute

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

If Pittsburgh can escape, they'd be playoff bound barring a tie in Game 272.  That would be okay, I suppose.

I love the Black N' Gold.  Always have, always will.  However, I'm so rooting for 70 minutes of that chaos!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I don't know if it was the right decision, but Tomlin going for it with the playoffs on the line shows a lot of heart.

I guess so.  It was the right call.  If they punt, barring a turnover, or a huge meaningful return, they're not getting into a position to win the game before time runs out

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Aaron Rodgers was on the Manningcast on Monday.  The curse went undefeated this season.

Pretty much forgot about that one.  All we need is Jerry Jones to show up a week from Monday and all is well on Planet Earth!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I don't know if it was the right decision, but Tomlin going for it with the playoffs on the line shows a lot of heart.

While they would have been a far more interesting answer to a trivia question (last NFL team with two ties) Tomlin should have known it was either win or the season is over.  It's not realistic to expect the defense to force a three and out and still have enough time to do anything, so I don't think he's in competition with Harbaugh for gutsiest coach.

And of course Jacksonville and Detroit both do their best to ruin their chance at getting the top pick.  Detroit can't even fail properly.

• Love 1
Just now, roamyn said:

The Browns can beat the Bungles twice, but can’t manage one win over the Squealers with an old creaky QB.  (Not counting last year’s playoff).

What more embarrassing is that the Buggles, who actually whooped the cream of the AFC North in Pittsburgh & Baltimore for a total of 4 wins, added insult to injury by getting crushed by the Browns, who have the tradition of getting pummeled by the cream of the AFC North in the Ravens and the Steelers.  That has to be embarrassing that a team that hasn't won a playoff game within the texting era, owned them but couldn't win one game in the Taylor/Burrow Era against a team that once finished 1-15, and found a way to go down from there.  Yikes!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

It's Strahan that Favre screwed over, because he ensured that the record would have an asterisk. And I think that was Favre's real goal. He knew there was a good chance Strahan would break the record against him and this way the narrative would be "Favre gave it to Strahan." And in that way, he actually helped Tauscher as well. Tauscher was certainly playing well that year, but it only takes one play. This way, he got no blame.

That was the last game of the season and GB held him sackless for the first 57 minutes of the game.  The odds were against Strahan at that point.

While fans who watched know what went down, the asterix isn't something official.   Most official accounts tell it as if Strahan earned it outright instead of having it given to him. And Strahan certainly doesn't hold his head in shame over it.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Calvada said:

I hope Watt breaks the sack record just because Strahan shouldn't have it

Strahan still holds the record for a 16-game season. If Watt gets more sacks, it will be in one more game.

8 minutes ago, Moose135 said:
18 hours ago, Calvada said:

I hope Watt breaks the sack record just because Strahan shouldn't have it

Strahan still holds the record for a 16-game season. If Watt gets more sacks, it will be in one more game.

Watt only played in 15 games this year.  It took Strahan 16 games and a gift to obtain the record

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Moose135 said:
53 minutes ago, Carey said:

Watt only played in 15 games this year. 

Still a 17-game season...

That's right.  And it's not Watt's fault the NFL added another game to the regular season

1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

And he needed that extra game to tie Strahan's record. In a 16-game season, he wouldn't have.

Well, technically yes.  However, Watt still missed games.  We'll never know whether he would've broken it prior to this week.

Really, TBH, that sack record is not a big deal.  It's just a stat.  If they counted the stat prior to 1982, he might not have had it.  OTOH, I guess he would've had the record since we're only counting 16-game seasons.

I'll concede that NFL records lose their meaning with the addition of a 17th game (unless you're only factoring in the sack record).  However, if the NFL is counting Watt's 22.5 as a tie for the record, that's it.  People can complain that it shouldn't count or the league should put an asterisk * (for example, DeVonta Smith's rookie record shouldn't count since it took 17 games).

I actually admire Mike, and it's not a big deal for me.  IMO, the NFL could count their numbers as a percentage and not a total.  The game's a lot different today than before

2 hours ago, Carey said:

What more embarrassing is that the Buggles, who actually whooped the cream of the AFC North in Pittsburgh & Baltimore for a total of 4 wins, added insult to injury by getting crushed by the Browns, who have the tradition of getting pummeled by the cream of the AFC North in the Ravens and the Steelers.  That has to be embarrassing that a team that hasn't won a playoff game within the texting era, owned them but couldn't win one game in the Taylor/Burrow Era against a team that once finished 1-15, and found a way to go down from there.  Yikes!

The Bengals had nothing to play for today, though, so this was a pyrrhic victory for the Browns.  The Bengals either rested their main players or had a number of players on COVID reserve, and they weren't trying to win this game since, win or lose, they were going to the playoffs and either going to be the 3 or 4 seed.  I'm sure whatever embarrassment they're feeling (assuredly none) is tempered by the fact that they get to play again next week.

• Love 1

That is fair enough.  However, the Browns, who really had nothing to play for, were without Baker Mayfield.  In Cleveland's defense, the argument that they would've beaten Cincinnati with all of their star players was fair enough (having done so on the road).

Still, there's an ounce of a joke there.  The main players were inactive; I think Cincy wins if they had their players.  Despite my love for Black N Gold, looking forward to see what the Bengals can become going forward.  The rivalry and division dislike is what it is, but I think with Taylor and Burrow being great leaders & avoiding mistakes, they could be good enough to reach dynasty status.

Not sure what the schedule will be but it's pretty much a safe bet either Nantz/Romo or Buck/Aikman are on the call for Cowboys/Niners.  First postseason matchup between the two since the early 90s during the Madden/Summerall days.  Can't rule out Al & Cris though!

Thank you Seahawks (words I never thought I would type).  By beating the Cardinals the Rams are in the playoffs.  The 49ers now play the Cowboys instead of having to play Kyler Murray who has never list at the Jones Mahal 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I'll concede that NFL records lose their meaning with the addition of a 17th game (unless you're only factoring in the sack record).  However, if the NFL is counting Watt's 22.5 as a tie for the record, that's it.  People can complain that it shouldn't count or the league should put an asterisk * (for example, DeVonta Smith's rookie record shouldn't count since it took 17 games).

If they start applying that logic all sorts of records in multiple sports would start getting asterisks.  Eric Dickerson has the all time single season rushing yards record, but he needed 16 games.  OJ's only 100 behind him and he played in a 14 game season, but you don't see anyone calling for an asterisk.  Any initial complaints (see Maris needing game 163 to break Ruth's HR record) quickly go away as fans stop caring about these details.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, twoods said:

Come on Chargers. The Raiders are not this good, but now the Bills get the Patriots which I’m not looking forward to. 

For whatever reason the Pats have not played well after their Bye, and they may have lost their best Defensive Tackle. I don't like their odds against Buffalo. I would rather they face the Bengals.

The Raiders making the playoffs given everything that's happened this season is unfathomable to me.

OMG the Colts. Their fans must be hating life right now.