Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

What the hell.  Did Baker Mayfield take a flamethrower to a basket of puppies or something?  Why does the media hate him so much?

I don’t understand why he is not getting any benefit of the doubt with the injuries he has, that would absolutely affect the ability to be an effective quarterback.  Baker should have been shut down for longer than he was.

Also, I love his commercials.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Madden was the perfect fit for the Raiders at that time (yes, I remember their difficulty getting it done in the playoffs), and then as an announcer so good at making the average viewer understand the calls and the rules.  His love for the game was legendary.  That message he left on Tom Coughlin's voice mail after the Giants, playoff slot already secured, played their starters against the undefeated Patriots in week 17 and damn near won it (practice for beating their ass in the Super Bowl) is one of my favorite things in football:

Just called to congratulate you and your team for a great effort last night. Not good, but great. I think it's one of the best things to happen in the NFL in the last ten years, and I don't know if they all know it, but they should be very grateful to you and your team for what you did.

I believe so firmly in this, that there is only one way to play the game, and it is a regular season game and you go out and win the darn game. I was just so proud being a part of the NFL and of what your guys did and the way you did it. You proved that it's a game and there's only one way to play the game and you did it.

The NFL needed it. We've gotten too much of, "Well, they're going to rest their players and don't need to win, therefore they won't win." Well, that's not sports and that's not competition. I'm a little emotional about it. I'm just so proud. It's something we all need to thank you for, and I believe the NFL needed that.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9

I haven’t watched All Madden yet but it’s on the DVR and I think I’ll keep it on there for awhile.  Apparently FOX asked each person who gave an interview at the end to describe what Madden meant for them, and then the producers packaged each clip into a film just for John and gave it to him on Christmas.

John and Pat doing NFC games is so great, because they did so many Giants games.  John breaking down the Mommy, Daddy and Baby buckets during Super Bowl XXI is absolute gold.

The NFL should change the name of the All-Pro awards to the All-Madden awards, and give them to the types of players Madden used to.

• Love 3

Madden's gift to me was making football understandable. I grew up not watching sports of any kind. My mom raised me and she had no interest. When I was in Bible College, my school in the heart of Downtown Minneapolis, happened to have hordes of Packers fans and every Sunday, my friends and roommates had to watch the game. So, I watched. Madden helped me understand the essentials, the reasons and the meanings behind the games. It gave me a sense of inclusion in a national pasttime.

I watch football to this day..although the commentators pale in comparison to Madden, it was Madden who really introduced me to the game. I am sure I am not the only on

• Love 6

It’s funny that besides being a Giants fan for 35 years, the fact that the NFC won like 15 Super Bowls in a row and Madden and Summerall were the premiere NFC broadcasters is why the AFC has always been meh to me.

I mean, yes Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen were absolute legends.  But they weren’t John and Pat.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s funny that besides being a Giants fan for 35 years, the fact that the NFC won like 15 Super Bowls in a row and Madden and Summerall were the premiere NFC broadcasters is why the AFC has always been meh to me.

I mean, yes Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen were absolute legends.  But they weren’t John and Pat.

All four of those mentioned are legends compared to what we have now, as in Buck and Romo.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Apparently FOX asked each person who gave an interview at the end to describe what Madden meant for them, and then the producers packaged each clip into a film just for John and gave it to him on Christmas.

We watched some of the show last night.  There are sections where he's watching videos of various people talking about him.  The delight on his face and the laughter these evoked are heartwarming.

I've been reading a lot about John Madden today - the stories of what he did after Daryl Stingley's terrible injury really show the measure of the man, and what a caring and compassionate person he was.  He was appalled that Chuck Fairbanks was not staying at the hospital in Oakland until Stingley's family arrived (Madden told someone to go to the airport and get Fairbanks off the Patriots' plane), he offered to let Stingley's family stay at his home and use his vehicle, and he made regular visits to Stingley in the hospital. 

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I've been reading a lot about John Madden today - the stories of what he did after Daryl Stingley's terrible injury really show the measure of the man, and what a caring and compassionate person he was.  He was appalled that Chuck Fairbanks was not staying at the hospital in Oakland until Stingley's family arrived (Madden told someone to go to the airport and get Fairbanks off the Patriots' plane), he offered to let Stingley's family stay at his home and use his vehicle, and he made regular visits to Stingley in the hospital. 

A class act, he was.

Also, I must be very old as I remember Madden as a coach, broadcaster and video game guru.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Also, I must be very old as I remember Madden as a coach, broadcaster and video game guru.

I knew of him as a coach but I was most familiar with him as a broadcaster. I can't remember who it was but some comic did a real funny bit about Madden.  He said Madden would be telling a story and Pat Summerall would interject with something that was happening on the field and Madden without acknowledging what Pat said would just continue on with his stories. Having watched many games he broadcast I can say that is true.

I think Madden's success as a broadcaster really had to do with Summerall (and he's said so) - NPR broadcast a clip of Madden ripping on Aikman's terrible beard, and Summerall levels in with - "It's a passive attempt." You couldn't stick a better landing. 

• Love 3

So many tributes to John.   All positive.   Players loved him, other coaches loved him, execs loved him, broadcasters loved him.   He was just one of the good ones.   Even in "retirement" he could leave the game.   He was working for player safety and mentoring coaches.  

Gone too soon.

• Love 5

Doubt Ben will play for another team, but you never know.  I just hope Rodgers doesn't go to the Steelers, so that means he will.

About Baker, I think part of the problem is the same one as with the Cowboys:  too much media attention.  For the Cowboys, it's the whole 'being crowned America's team' and the subsequent fawning by the media; for Baker, it was too much hype (and too many commercials) early, that he didn't live up to.  Didn't help that he joined a dysfunctional team and didn't handle the press well.

As a Ravens fan, I could have been happier for the Browns that they were finally getting their shit together if they weren't in our division.  Total respect for the fans that stuck with them in their lean years.

Other than some early comments that Baker made (and I can chalk some of it up to the pressure put on a kid not given a good guidance), I like him.  And I like his commercials.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

If anyone is interested, NFL Network is airing All Madden at 3 ET. 

Thank you; I saw this just in time to watch.

I enjoyed it, especially the parts with Madden watching old footage or watching interview subjects talk about him.  I also loved Troy Aikman watching Madden use his handy telestrator back in '95 to highlight Aikman's inability to grow a beard.

Madden's interest in people was lovely, and why he connected with so many.  I think he was inherently like that, but once he retired from coaching and spent all that time traveling by train and then bus all across the country, he had the time to really indulge his love of conversation.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I thought Rodgers wanted to go to the west coast. The only team out here who could use him is the Raiders. The other teams are set. Maybe the Niners? I'm not sold on Jimmy G. 

The 49ers wanted him last year.  Same with Denver. 1 or both probably tampered.  The 49ers are his childhood dream.  I believe his current fiancee is from CO so that might be attractive for them. He also likes the offenses run there.

But I think he likes Mike Tomlin and would be open to the Steelers. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Madden's interest in people was lovely, and why he connected with so many.  I think he was inherently like that, but once he retired from coaching and spent all that time traveling by train and then bus all across the country, he had the time to really indulge his love of conversation.

Late to the conversation (was out of town), but just want to say RIP John Madden.  I've been watching NFL football for most of my life, and I enjoyed all of Madden's commentary as much as I enjoyed the game.  Being a Buc's fan, sometimes he was more entertaining to watch/listen to than actually suffering through our games!  I always loved hearing him talk about his time on the Madden Cruiser.  I've missed him ever since he retired.  He will never be replaced.  One of a kind!  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I know a very, very warm place where he'd be welcome and he could play for a guy with horns and a pitchfork. 😈

I don't think the Dallas Cowboys need a quarterback at this moment. 

Everytime I watch the NFL (since I was 7) and Madden & Summerall were on, I always feel like I'm learning something & enjoying it. Even when Madden went to MNF & then SNF, I always feel like I'm learning something new. So overall, he made watching football for me a lot of fun. And for that, I thanked him. He will dearly be missed. 

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

If anyone is interested, NFL Network is airing All Madden at 3 ET. 

I justed watched that & I really enjoyed the heartfelt tribute to him. I also didn't know that he still has the highest percentage record for a coach that won a minimum of 100 games (103-32-7) (.759) in NFL History. That record will never come close to being broken.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Yes, it would be quite the change going from an uncontroversial paragon of virtue like Ben to Rodgers.

Ben ain't no saint, but I don't want things going from bad to worse with Rodgers and his fucking toes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

How did they have so many tie games back then? 

Because the NFL didn't do overtime until 1974.  Madden coached for 5 seasons before there was an overtime rule.  Before '74, the game ended after 4 quarters, tied or not.  Initially, overtime lasted a maximum of one period, first team to score was the winner.  If no one scored in the overtime period, the game was a tie.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Ben ain't no saint, but I don't want things going from bad to worse with Rodgers and his fucking toes.

Rodgers deserves his criticism but Ben has been accused of rape. I believe he did commit rape. So bad to worse than Ben?  Nah. 

• Love 14
46 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Rodgers deserves his criticism but Ben has been accused of rape. I believe he did commit rape. So bad to worse than Ben?  Nah. 

Yeah, Aaron Rodgers can't take criticism despite his tremendous wealth and power, and most recently lied about his COVID vaccination status, subsequently revealing his belief in bullshit sources.

Ben Roethlisberger is a rapist (anyone who's reviewed the pathetically anemic investigations into the two known attacks knows it's true). 

If I had to take one as "my" quarterback, I'd take Rodgers every day and twice on Sundays.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd still take Ben over a possible COVID spreader.  JMHO

Edited by Crashcourse

That will be a tough game for Vikings at Green Bay tomorrow. With Cousins we had a good chance of winning. Without, ha. Mannion is so-so, hardly played any games. Mond is brand new. I think this is the first time Cousins has missed a game except for when he was deliberately sat out. 

But maybe we'll luck out and Rodgers' toe will be extra sore.

• Love 1