Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Chiefs-Steelers is the Sunday night game, so even if Ben's last game is on par with Marino's I guarantee that Cris Collinsworth will give him an epic boot licking worthy of what Favre got.

Ben already got that last week on Monday Night.  He does not need any more.

• Love 4

I want to beat John Harbaugh around the head with the Ravens' injury report. His determination to somehow try to make the playoffs has resulted in yet another injury - a torn achilles for Tyus Bowser, the LB they just signed to a sizeable contract. Fucking great.

He'll also stick with the same shitty coordinators who constantly get less than the sum of their parts out of this team. Don Martindale who struggles to find sacks from players who then go on to get double digit seasons at new teams and Greg Roman, who seems determined to get Lamar Jackson killed.

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

He'll also stick with the same shitty coordinators who constantly get less than the sum of their parts out of this team. Don Martindale who struggles to find sacks from players who then go on to get double digit seasons at new teams and Greg Roman, who seems determined to get Lamar Jackson killed.

He may not stick w/Roman much longer.  Greg Romania rumored to be on a short list of up & coming head coaches.

PS, I want to beat Jim Harbaugh on the head, just on principle alone and because he’s Ol Khaki Pants.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

He may not stick w/Roman much longer.  Greg Romania rumored to be on a short list of up & coming head coaches.

That seems to be the only way the Ravens lose inept coaches - some other, more inept team gives them a head coaching gig. I'd be delighted if Roman got one, but can't quite believe any team is that dumb. Then again, the Texans did hire David Cully.

I'm possibly among one of the last people to defend Harbaugh and Baltimore, but booting him is on a short list of the dumbest moves in the NFL.  He was on life support about a half decade ago, but took a gamble that paid off, which he had time to do especially following his monster start to his Ravens career.

John plays to win, and they were in it despite needing a ton of help.  The Steelers this season & similar to 2015 had help come through.  They feel one game short of massive help in 2013, which still would've paled in comparison to what happened to Pittsburgh in 1989.  Unless you're dead, go for it.  I could see the other approach of not wanting to lose more people, but what are you going to do.

As mentioned, Baltimore might need to emulate the Rams route toward the off-season.  Having a perfect pre-season record over a half decade is not a big deal, period

• Love 2

Now that the colts have crushed my soul with an epic collapse, I'd like to see the Bengals win and make the superbowl.  Or the Titans. A team with no Superbowl wins.  I guess that is buffalo too, but I don't feel as bad for them since they had four chances in a row and failed.  

But it will probably be the chiefs and Packers or bucs. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Now that the colts have crushed my soul with an epic collapse, I'd like to see the Bengals win and make the superbowl.  Or the Titans. A team with no Superbowl wins.  I guess that is buffalo too, but I don't feel as bad for them since they had four chances in a row and failed.  

But it will probably be the chiefs and Packers or bucs. 

Yeah, I’m rooting for the Bungles, too, even tho they’re our in-state rivals.  But they’re the AFC North Champions, so gotta stick w/the homeboys.  Plus, Joe Burrow will always be a Buckeye and is one of the nicest guys and has the best Heisman speech ever.

• Love 1

I'm glad the Giants fired Judge. Not because he deserved another year (he didn't), but I thought it was kind of cruel to give him false hope that he might survive a change of GMs.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, bosawks said:

As an Eagles fan I hope Dougie P. gets the Jags job.

It'd also be a nice palate cleanser for Trevor....

I read he is interviewing for the Vikings job. Ironic considering he was coaching the Eagles when they beat us in the playoffs and went on to the Super Bowl (and won).

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Has Aaron Rodgers *always* been an asshole, or is this a recent development?

Look, pinhead.  You worry about your own sordid business and keep the Giants name out of your greasy mouth, got it?

I think he's always been a horse's patootie, but managed to keep it on the down low for the most part.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, though.....

• Love 12

I think, as with a lot of people, success can bake in some bad tendencies.  He has always been competitive, stubborn and had chips on his shoulder.  But he also used to do this radio program about 10-ish years ago with a local Green Bay reporter which I really enjoyed listening to for his insane football recall but he also came off as thoughtful and curious.

He displayed none of this martyr bullshit that he has been displaying lately. 

I don't think him mocking a QB sneak on 3rd and 9 is out of bounds, though. Did anyone think that was a good idea?  Other than the (much called for) fired Joe Judge?

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I think he's always been a horse's patootie, but managed to keep it on the down low for the most part.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, though.....

In large part thanks to enabler Pat McAfee.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, xaxat said:

In large part thanks to enabler Pat McAfee.

Yes, Damn it......I really like McAfee and his show but can't stand he has been the Rodgers soapbox voice this season. 

And McAfee tries to explain it all away with lame excuses, in regard to covid, of everyone had an opinion, reserves to be heard and he is just trying to understand the 'locker room' thoughts in the NFL.  

So awful......tiresome and lame reasons. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think him mocking a QB sneak on 3rd and 9 is out of bounds, though.

Bah.  It’s unseemly.  It’s like when someone picks on your sibling - *you* can do it.  *They* can’t.

• LOL 5

How much can one blame Favre's treatment or mentoring of A-Rod for how the latter acts?

For me, I get he criticism, but I couldn't care less.  There are worse (or just more negative) human beings than Aaron.  It's just a weird situation overall with Rodgers.

Not as weird as Mara thinking Joe Judge was the guy in New York.  Took way too long to boot the guy.  Though I figured they'd wait until the new GM was in place to have the new GM decide his fate.  Probably fair to boot Judge in advance (though I guess there was an outcry based on what occurred in Miami)

Edited by Carey
Punctuation
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Not as weird as Mara thinking Joe Judge was the guy in New York.  Took way too long to boot the guy.  Though I figured they'd wait until the new GM was in place to have the new GM decide his fate,.  Probably fair to boot Judge in advance (though I guess there was an outcry based on what occurred in Miami)

I don't know how accurate this is, but today on Around the Horn Pablo Torre said that Joe Judge reportedly wanted input power on who the new GM would be.

• Useful 1

You never let the new GM decide the coach's fate.   The GM wants to pick the coach, so the fate is fired anyway.   No GOOD GM wants the job with a coach already in place.   The giants probably reached out to their preferred candidates who said "no if Judge is still there."   

• Useful 1
On 1/11/2022 at 2:55 PM, merylinkid said:

Joe Judge finally fired.

It's like calling the fire dept. after the house has completely burned to the ground.  

On 1/12/2022 at 8:19 AM, mojoween said:

Has Aaron Rodgers *always* been an asshole, or is this a recent development?

Look, pinhead.  You worry about your own sordid business and keep the Giants name out of your greasy mouth, got it?

Rodgers is not the worst person ever, but he's among the most annoying group of people we all familiar with;  the ones who self proclaim themselves intellectuals and free thinkers.   ANNOYING.

You couldn't write the script of his referencing Ayn Rand's "Atlas shrugged " the Bible of all the pretentious douche bags from  high school.

Having said that, he had a heck of a year, what with that 37 to 4 TD/INT ratio.  However , while it's annoying how the MVP debate unfairly shifts to QB's, I just can't see the argument for Rodgers  being the MVP over Brady.

Both their teams had 13-4 records and won their division, with Rodgers/Packs the #1 seed but the Buck right behind as the #2 seed in the NFC, but Brady had more completions, more pass yards and more TD passes.  Albeit in 17 games, but Brady also broke the record for most completions in a season.    He's the only QB other than Drew  Brees and Peyton Manning in the last 40 years to lead in all 3 passing categories. (comp, yards, TD's)

I do agree both teams would have done far worse  without these two guys leading them, though with Rodgers losing a game due to COVID stupidity, I can't give the edge to him.   

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

Caracas, I agree that I don't think they giving the MVP to Rodgers instead of Brady.  However, in A-Rod's defense, he did more with less AND Tom had more interceptions.  The thing that probably hurts Rodgers is that he just won it last year to go with being up against TB12.  I think Tom would be the first person since 1996 to win league MVP in both conferences.  Peyton, who is the last person to win it back-to-back (and he did it twice), did it in the AFC with two different teams. 

This is probably the best chance to give it to Tom, as it'll add to his awesome resume to crown him in his old age.  However, I have some optimism that he'll reach a quarter century of playing (at a decent level) since he hasn't hit 2015 Manning performance right now.  Burrow is coming fast and who knows how things will stack up with Joe Circa 2039.

Maybe Aaron earned it, but it wouldn't be wrong if Tom won.  It would deny him of the repeat his predecessor clinched in the 90s.  FWIW, it might also piss off the Western PA community, because people (mainly PFF) think Aaron Donald will again upend T.J. Watt for the DPOY despite just winning it last year.  This after being ready to crown Pittsburgh's rival Myles Garrett for half the effort.

So if (and when) Brady win, that's great.  I did think it was A-Rod's title to lose, but I've recently changed my mind.  Not saying Rodgers won't win, but it's no longer a slam dunk.  It's not his fault Tom is almost 44.5 years old but the guy is still exceeding expectations in Tampa.

As for A-Rod's behavior?  Meh.  A great HOF player being anything other than an angel isn't unprecedented

• Love 2
5 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

It's like calling the fire dept. after the house has completely burned to the ground.  

Rodgers is not the worst person ever, but he's among the most annoying group of people we all familiar with;  the ones who self proclaim themselves intellectuals and free thinkers.   ANNOYING.

You couldn't write the script of his referencing Ayn Rand's "Atlas shrugged " the Bible of all the pretentious douche bags from  high school.

Having said that, he had a heck of a year, what with that 37 to 4 TD/INT ratio.  However , while it's annoying how the MVP debate unfairly shifts to QB's, I just can't see the argument for Rodgers  being the MVP over Brady.

Both their teams had 13-4 records and won their division, with Rodgers/Packs the #1 seed but the Buck right behind as the #2 seed in the NFC, but Brady had more completions, more pass yards and more TD passes.  Albeit in 17 games, but Brady also broke the record for most completions in a season.    He's the only QB other than Drew  Brees and Peyton Manning in the last 40 years to lead in all 3 passing categories. (comp, yards, TD's)

I do agree both teams would have done far worse  without these two guys leading them, though with Rodgers losing a game due to COVID stupidity, I can't give the edge to him.   

I'd give the edge to Tom Brady simply because he's elite at an age when most quarterbacks are retired. I doubt anyone will break his records.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

I feel badly for David Culley.  He got the short end of the stick from day one.

When your boss seems to think he's been ordained by god to run a football team, you're onto a loser. But Culley was a mediocre positional coach who has been elevated way past his abilities, presumably because Easterby got a message from on high that he was the guy.

On 1/12/2022 at 6:34 PM, Fukui San said:

Let's ask his family.

From what I've heard, cutting his family out of his life is one of the smarter decisions he's made. Doesn't mean he's not an arsehole as well, of course.

The playoffs this year are a minefield of teams I'd rather see the stadium fall on top of than win the Super Bowl - Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots, Titans, Bucs, Bengals and Packers would all be terrible, and I don't really want to see the Chiefs or Eagles win again. So I guess I'm rooting for the... Raiders? Ugh, that's not right. The Rams or Cardinals? Okay.

• Love 2

Hey if the Rams can lure Eric Weddle out of retirement what are the chances we see Larry Fitzgerald come back to the Cardinals for one more chance at glory?  He’s not even officially retired, I don’t think.

Edited by mojoween
11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'd give the edge to Tom Brady simply because he's elite at an age when most quarterbacks are retired. I doubt anyone will break his records.

What abt Jefferson?  Since Ja’Marr Chase Will probably win Off Rookie, and TJ Watt will win Def player, I think the next best candidate for MVP is JJ.  Why does it always have to be a QB?

• Love 3
On 1/13/2022 at 6:28 AM, merylinkid said:

You never let the new GM decide the coach's fate.   The GM wants to pick the coach, so the fate is fired anyway.   No GOOD GM wants the job with a coach already in place.   The giants probably reached out to their preferred candidates who said "no if Judge is still there."   

I'm surprised more GMs aren't fired earlier in the season since they aren't responsible for running games.  The problem with firing the GM and the coach at the same time is the desire to hire a hot candidate before a GM is chosen.  And the unhired GM isn't yet a part of the interview process.

It's why a lot of GMs are hired with a coach in place but the coach is gone the next season.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:43 PM, Carey said:

How much can one blame Favre's treatment or mentoring of A-Rod for how the latter acts?

Favre was pretty clear that his job wasn't to mentor Rodgers when Rodgers showed up.  And while that was true, people didn't think that was a very cool response. There were some ups and downs there before they landed where they are today.

For all the bad things said about him, Rodgers appears to be better in that regard. In fact, I really thought his goal early in his career was not to become like Favre which is why it feels funny to see him this past year.

One of my favorite expressions this past season is either GB QB's die young or they live long enough to become Favre.

Both Favre and Rodgers became better players once their replacement was drafted.  Both like to manipulate the media. Both have sketchy beliefs and can't shut up about them--just in different areas.  For instance, Rodgers has always championed Kap.  Favre?  Not so much.

40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Is Favre his dad and/or is Rodgers mentally challenged?  Rodgers is a grown man who can decide for himself what the proper way to act is.  Saying he'd better if Favre had been a better mentor is just a way to absolve Rodgers of some blame. 

• Love 6

Aaron Rodgers winning the league MVP might be the NFL's best shot at ending the 22 year drought of the NFL MVP winning the Super Bowl in the same season.  Tom is likely the 2nd best shot, but I don't think Tampa is getting to the end this year (probably they will in '22 and even '24).  Burrow would be 3rd but Cincy is sorta a quiet place where not much happens.  The media and whomever isn't paying too much attention this season to where Joe will be crowned the league's best player.  Maybe in the foreseeable future, but not now.

It's good for business with the Nick stuff for the league, but I'm 100% watching CBS.  A classic CBS NFL game returns.  Something that was so far off from occurring over the past couple of decades.  Though it could've happened earlier last decade!  Jim Harbaugh made the Niners tremendous, but in those same playoff years for San Francisco, the Cowboys lost a win and in SNF game in consecutive years (each to the other three NFC East Teams)

It’s currently -7 degrees, feels like -19 (in Syracuse) and going to stay cold until tomorrow morning.

Buffalo is similar, and I don’t think you could pay me enough to sit outside for three hours tonight.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Dallas / San Francisco playoff game is getting the Nickelodeon treatment this year.

DAMMIT

That is just a stupid thing to attract people who will never watch football any way.   Why ruin a good game like that.

I mean this is the 40th anniversary of THE CATCH.    Although the game will be played at the Jones Mahal, I would rather be honoring the history of these two teams than wondering who is going to have some cartoon action imposed on them.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

DAMMIT

That is just a stupid thing to attract people who will never watch football any way.   Why ruin a good game like that.

I mean this is the 40th anniversary of THE CATCH.    Although the game will be played at the Jones Mahal, I would rather be honoring the history of these two teams than wondering who is going to have some cartoon action imposed on them.

Bitching about the Nick broadcast ruining the game is like moaning about how it's impossible to enjoy MNF with the Manning brothers yapping away.  Just watch the regular broadcast and ignore the other one.

Want the regular broadcast?  Watch CBS.  Have kids who might like the game with more CGI slime?  They can watch on Nick.  Stuck with only one TV and have kids who insist on watching the slimier version?  Well, that's between you and your kids.

• Love 9

I kept trying to watch the Manning brothers, but Eli’s constant digs at Peyton were wearying.  Maybe Peyton did it back and I missed it, but every time I turned it on it was to some snide remark about Peyton’s head size.  

• Love 1

I grew up with a lot of brothers and sisters.  We're all in our 50s and 60s now but we can relate to the interactions between Peyton and Eli.  It seems perfectly normal to me.  

I'm a Packers fan and I could care less if Rodgers gets the MVP.  You play to win the games, get to the playoffs, and hopefully to a Super Bowl.   He's a great player on the field, so is Brady, and this year so was Jonathan Taylor, Cooper Kupp, and probably someone else I'm leaving out.  Flip a coin and give the MVP to one of them - who cares?  As we've seen by Hub Arkush's comments, it's not as if it is a completely neutral process by the voters anyway.  

• Love 1

Burrow probably was the MVP candidate you left out.  Of course, there were early favorites like Dak, Josh Allen, Kyler, AD, etc.

As for someone going 50/50 in terms of the MVP race, there were really two people that deserves that honor IMO: Brady & Peyton.  Of course only two people have gone perfect there.  I knew people like Manning (and later Cam) weren't getting it.  If Brady has a slightly above average year & his team rolls, he's getting a vote (2013 & 2015).

While Lamar totally deserved the honor in 2019, I don't know or think he was worth a unanimous selection.  After all, basically his entire team was Pro Bowl bound & Harbaugh got the COY title.   Naturally, Tom and Jackson both went one & done in the playoffs after their 14-2 records to get the home field advantage

Final Lines & O/U Totals:

Raiders at Bengals: 5.5 [O/U: 48.5]
Patriots at Bills: 4.5 [O/U: 43.5]
Eagles at Buccaneers: 8.5 [O/U: 45.5]
49ers at Cowboys: 3.0 [O/U: 51]
Steelers at Chiefs: 12.5 [O/U: 46]
Cardinals at Rams: 3.5 [O/U: 49.5]

Home teams are favored

For what it's worth, the kickoff times for the Divisional Round Matchups, which were previously disclosed Around Game 256 during the 1990-2019 Postseason Format, likely will not get disclosed until sometime on Sunday.  From what I understand, the NFL doesn’t want teams that had Monday night games playing on Saturday.  However, this would only apply to the NFC.

In the past, it’s been quite common that the Number One seed gets that Saturday game, which gives them an extra day of rest against their Championship foe should [the top seed] win their first game.  I do not think there’s an issue that prevents Tennessee from being announced as the Saturday game.  However, I don’t see the urgency to announce it until the Conclusion of the Cowboys/Niners game.  FWIW, I don’t think both 1 seeds played in the Divisional round on the second day (Sunday).  It’s usually none or just one.

The way I see it, if Philadelphia or San Francisco win, then they could announce next weekend’s kickoff times on SNF.  The Rams and Cardinals would both avoid going to Green Bay.  If Dallas & Tampa both win, they could still announce the times, but IMO, the Packers would play the MNF winner on Sunday while the Titans host the surviving worst team left (which would be Pittsburgh if they win).

I'm going with Cincinnati and Buffalo for the win on Saturday.  To make things simple, I ought to pick the MNF game instead of the SNF game.  That way, I can pick all 3 Sunday games at once.  While I'm leaning Arizona, I don't know who I'd bet on.  I don't think Pittsburgh can control a game for 60 Minutes against Kansas City at Arrowhead in the Patrick Mahomes Era.  I think they can be competitive since they've had recent postseason experience.  Tough it's night and day compared to the Chiefs.

Not often I pick against Belichick, and it might be the only time I do.  Or I can pick against Bill four times.  Anyway, Buffalo in general is going to be brutal.  It's the Patriots, but I still love seeing teams travel to Orchard Park and struggle thanks to the weather!

As mentioned, I can't see Burrow and this team being like past Bengals teams.  Cincinnati has the longest playoff drought, but with a win, they'll go from last to first.  In other words, they'll have the shortest playoff drought (for a minute and change).  It's there for them.  If the Raiders pull off the upset, then here come everyone to say the Bengals can't win in the playoffs.  Good things are coming Cincy's way, win or lose.  Finally, the Raiders have the 4th longest playoff drought.  Burrow's game to lose