Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Carey said:

Sure Tampa did so last year, but as mentioned, even with the chance of the weather being even worse this year, there will be fans this time around.  Furthermore, the Bucs are not as hot and great this time around; they probably won't even get to Lambeau!

Tampa may not be a cold weather market, but I think it’s an important point that Brady is a cold weather QB, from college to 20 years in New England.  It’s annoying, actually.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

FFS - a Raider was arrested for DUI last night?  How could anyone on that team be that stupid after the horrific events involving Henry Ruggs earlier this season?   

At least Nate Hobbs didn't kill anyone last night.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

FFS - a Raider was arrested for DUI last night?  How could anyone on that team be that stupid after the horrific events involving Henry Ruggs earlier this season?   

At least Nate Hobbs didn't kill anyone last night.

As a Raider fan, I was incensed when I heard about this. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Mike Glennon needs wrist surgery.  So that’s why he threw for negative yards yesterday!

Doesn't explain why he was in the game, though. They had another perfectly inadequate backup they could have used.

• LOL 12
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

The lionizing of Ben Roethlisberger throughout this game has been icky.

The zombified remains of the Baltimore Ravens have no hope of making the playoffs, but I'll be happy with the season if they can just stomp that bloated sex pest into the turf next week.

Although it's more likely they lose again, with even more players somehow ending up on IR through the week.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, twoods said:

Despite his past he was a lifelong Steeler so it was nice to see the sendoff in front of his fans. 

As a Steeler fan I have wrestled with my feelings for the man off the field and the QB on the field.   Whatever you may think about him he had a tremendous career and I will miss him as our QB.

• Love 4

WTF is going to announce their new name on February 2 and the comments on the Twitter announcement from The Washington Post are very funny.  My favorite suggestion was the Washington Broken Railings.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The zombified remains of the Baltimore Ravens have no hope of making the playoffs, but I'll be happy with the season if they can just stomp that bloated sex pest into the turf next week.

Although it's more likely they lose again, with even more players somehow ending up on IR through the week.

Maybe Baltimore should sign Antonio Brown.

It's best if the Ravens and Cleveland get a head start toward the golf course.  That way, any further injuries would not work their way into the 2022 season.  Furthermore, the regular season lasting close to the middle of January is pathetic.

I don't see anyway or any reason for Jacksonville to beat Indianapolis.  It does nothing to benefit the Jaguars, period.   

The Ravens, unlike the Steelers and Browns, had a reason for their fall, for the most part.  I wonder if they'll go hard in the preseason again, but while injuries are part of football, this many is not cool, whether one is a fan or not

• Love 2

I know why my Boys lost on Sunday, I forgot to put my new flag out.   I was flying the game they played the day after Christmas and look how they did.  Hubby got it for me for Christmas.   The blued out bit is my name.   

received_451345163067660_LI.jpg

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

So, is Antonio Brown's career in Pro Football finished?  Does he have mental health issues, or is he just a 'jerk"?  I am No Tom Brady fan, but at least Tom expressed sympathy for Antonio, whereas Coach Arians just seemed to be done with him. I cant see any other team taking a chance on him...

7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I know why my Boys lost on Sunday, I forgot to put my new flag out.   I was flying the game they played the day after Christmas and look how they did.  Hubby got it for me for Christmas.   The blued out bit is my name.   

received_451345163067660_LI.jpg

The sentiment behind this flag is very cool and gives me ideas!  I am very sad that I already know this Sunday I will take down the mailbox flag and the garden flag and the bunting on the porch and pack them away until next September (the flag [Yankees, Giants, Duke hoops] comes down when the respective team plays its last game of the season).

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

he sentiment behind this flag is very cool and gives me ideas!

According to Hubby is it is official NFL merchandise but not that expensive.   Not sure where he got it (because then I would know the cost and I don't want to know)

• Useful 3

Jalen Hurts is way way WAY too young for me to comment on how good-looking he is, so I’ll just say that I am jealous of the Eagles for having such a good guy as the current face of their team.  Knowing he would be mobbed, the first thing he did when the railing fell was to help people up.  And now this…

• Love 22

Maybe it’s because I also think he’s a selfish piece of shit, but I don’t understand the outcry of the one MVP voter who said he won’t vote for Rodgers because of how he pulled all that stuff prior to starting the season and was selfish by lying about the vaccine. He also threw his vaccinated teammates under the bus. That, to me, is not how a MVP behaves but he’s going to get it anyways so who cares what one guy thinks.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, twoods said:

Maybe it’s because I also think he’s a selfish piece of shit, but I don’t understand the outcry of the one MVP voter who said he won’t vote for Rodgers because of how he pulled all that stuff prior to starting the season and was selfish by lying about the vaccine. He also threw his vaccinated teammates under the bus. That, to me, is not how a MVP behaves but he’s going to get it anyways so who cares what one guy thinks.

I doubt he’s going to get it.  My money’s on KylerMurray or Ja’Mar Chase.

Now AB has put out a statement (that is totally not his writing), that he needs surgery on the ankle he was doing jumping Jacks on, and that he’ll be ready to play in the NFL come next season.  This guy is really delusional.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, twoods said:

The outcry is content, basically. But it's also because this award isn't the Man of the Year Award.  It's MVP.  Only 50 people have the privilege of voting and I guess they do that because they want their voters to take the purpose of the vote seriously.  And that purpose is to

• watch as much football as they can and determine who the best player on the field is
  • not talk about who they're going to vote for
  • vote

Instead this guy undermines the "serious*" nature of the award and goes on the radio to admit he had made his decision about Rodgers before he even stepped on the field this year and talked about. 

(*Let's face it, there are issues with this award since you basically have to be a QB to get it or a member of the offense.)

1. He says the Rodgers is a jerk and therefore doesn't deserve the award.  Oh well, we can't let that happen can we?  No jerk has ever won the NFL MVP award.  Even though, looking back, multiple have cheated on their wives and/or exposed themselves to unwitting females and/or beat their children and/or killed their wives.
  2. He invokes the "tortured Green Bay fan base" over the summer.  Opinions of Rodgers as a man may have changed over the year but very few GB fans care about last summer or care yet about what will happen this off season. And even if they did, they still wouldn't want some random guy who covers the Bears to speak for them.
  3. He invokes Aaron's teammates who, as far as I can tell, fully support him. They might disagree with his vaccination choice but they seem on board with him as a teammate. I'm not sure where the idea came from that he's throwing his teammates under the bus.  If anything, they probably care even less now that Omicron is ravaging both the vaccinated and unvaccinated so the competitive advantage issue is becoming less of one. 
  4. He invokes the front office which is just silly.  If anything, AR's play should make people understand more why they put up with him.

But this guy's main crime to me?  Giving Rodgers more victimization martyr material cuz he just had to speak.

Rich Eisen covered it well but especially at about the 7 minute mark on. 

• Love 1

Hub Arkush can vote for who he wants for MVP.   It's his vote and he can decide how he wants to use it.  The fact everyone is acting like Rodgers is a shoe-in annoys me.   I mean what did he do this year that was so amazing?   He played like he always does.   I want it to go to someone that so amazed everyone all year that he made the year in football special.   But nope, everyone votes for Rodgers because .... he made it through the season without getting hurt.

As for Antonio Brown, IF his story is true, if the coach tells you to go in the game (and get your damn incentives) and you don't want to because you are hurt, you sit your ass down on the bench and refuse to move.   You don't strip off your jersey, throw it in the crowd, then go JUMPING UP AND DOWN on your "injured" ankle while leaving the field.   AB would get the benefit of the doubt if we did not have the very prominent example of his being willing to lie JUST THIS YEAR.    You fake a vax card, people get to not give you the benefit of the doubt anymore.   Talk about a victim complex.   Nothing is ever his fault, everyone is just picking on him and creating "drama."

• Love 12

My Google News feed came up with this story: Antonio Brown says Mike Zimmer should remain as head coach of the Vikings. I'm sure Coach Zimmer is honored by that endorsement. I think AB is angling for another team. Plus AB's endorsement doesn't do any good for Zimmer.

• Love 4
On 1/4/2022 at 9:38 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

So, is Antonio Brown's career in Pro Football finished?  Does he have mental health issues, or is he just a 'jerk"?  I am No Tom Brady fan, but at least Tom expressed sympathy for Antonio, whereas Coach Arians just seemed to be done with him. I cant see any other team taking a chance on him...

Honestly, when any football player starts acting strangely after a few years of seeming normal and down to earth, I think there's one main culprit to blame. The same culprit that causes pro wrestlers, boxers and MMA fighters to similarly go off the rails.

There's a reason that some sports are branded "brain damage sports."

• Love 6

In no way, shape, or form was I rooting for this for Antonio Brown.  However, when he left the Steelers in 2019, everyone (except Pittsburgh) want to or outright blamed Ben Roethlisberger.  Some might have insulted the Steelers organization, but no one held AB accountable.  The fact is, the Black 'N Gold, from the media to the fans, said that nothing would work long-term anywhere else, and that everyone else will see that AB quit, and that he was responsible, not the people that put up with him for nearly a decade.

I can't blame Arians.  He actually did not want to have anything to do with Antonio.  He said that clearly last year.  However, when Tom Brady is the face of Tampa, that's a battle Bruce was taking the L on.

FWIW, I'll believe AB is out of the league when I see it, or if he's not seen in the NFL over the next 5 years

• Love 3
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Hub Arkush can vote for who he wants for MVP. 

Sure.  But that doesn't make him immune from criticism if people think his reasoning is lacking.

He wouldn't be having criticism if he had made the arguments you did for other players.  I'd love to see a non-QB win.  I think a lot of people would.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Sure.  But that doesn't make him immune from criticism if people think his reasoning is lacking.

He wouldn't be having criticism if he had made the arguments you did for other players.  I'd love to see a non-QB win.  I think a lot of people would.

Most of these awards have no real criteria at least that I know of.  You can really vote for who you want based on how you interpret the meaning of the award.  I think in this day age age if voters want to consider off the field criteria, it's not surprising or unheard of for that to happen.

Doesn't mean others can't disagree or criticize him though.  

• Love 2

Further I would add if you're going to start things like naming Simone Biles 'Athlete of the year', you are blurring the lines of in sport and out of sport achievements and things like this are bound to happen.  

I know it's not the NFL it's a magazine but still, when the sports world starts down the path of mixing on/off field accomplishments, which is happening more and more, you can't be surprised when voters take this turn.  

Nothing against Biles what she did was perfectly fine and within her choice, but it's not a choice you should get athlete of the year for when your performance in the actual Olympics is underwhelming and not what everyone expected. 

• Love 1

Meh.  At the end of the day, Hub Arkush and his reasoning isn't breaking the law.  As mentioned, he has every right to vote for whomever.  However, he would have been better off if he opted to shut up about why he was planning to vote for (or not vote for) an MVP candidate.  Hub does have a point in terms of who Aaron is.  Rodgers did not conduct himself well at all, from the stuff this summer to the pandemic.  I'm over it;; the guy is very competitive and that damn good.

At least he was honest or confessed.  I also don't have a problem with Aaron calling him a bum.  Arkush, IMO, is or is planning to abuse his position.  It's not a shocker the two dislike each other, but be a little more professional.  Maybe cite reasons you're voting for Brady or Jon Taylor as it relates to on-field action.  Even least Gary Washburn gave a reason behind going the opposite way in terms of the NBA MVP nearly a decade ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if TB12 won it instead of AR12, BTW

1 hour ago, Carey said:

In no way, shape, or form was I rooting for this for Antonio Brown.  However, when he left the Steelers in 2019, everyone (except Pittsburgh) want to or outright blamed Ben Roethlisberger.  Some might have insulted the Steelers organization, but no one held AB accountable.  The fact is, the Black 'N Gold, from the media to the fans, said that nothing would work long-term anywhere else, and that everyone else will see that AB quit, and that he was responsible, not the people that put up with him for nearly a decade.

As a Steeler fan I was happy to see him go.  I was more upset about  Santonio Holmes being traded after all his drama.  My former boss is a Raider fan and when they signed AB I told him good luck, now he is your problem.

Antonio Brown can go to hell.  Around that time, he and Shannon Sharpe can compete on who'll take whom straight to hell (the latter really to a lesser extent but still based on my next paragraph).  Shannon can actually show compassion for others, though he goes overboard with it.  AB?  Nah.  The kid had the audacity to make it about Antonio on January 2nd, 2022.  The NFL, and I guess Planet Earth, were paying tribute to John Madden.  I guess you could argue AB did intend to disrespect Mr. Madden, but it's not cool to do what he did on that same day.  Well, it wasn't cool, period.

I'll miss Big Ben.  For his on-field act.  Off the field?  Nah.  I have no issue with people still mad at him more than a decade removed.  That's Roethlisberger's fight, his deal.  Not mine.  I couldn't care less if people question my respect for the guy.  What's different between Ben and AB is Ben wasn't a good guy early in his career.  His turnaround started in his late-20s.  He grew up.  AB's hitting his mid-30s later this year.  Not great for a grown man to act 1/3 his age.  Antonio may be better at his position than Ben, but for me: Ben > AB.

Forget people (in the media) saying he needs help.  He's a grown man, he can figure it out.  Maybe instead of trying to help AB, focus on people that need help a ton more, and have less resources and wealth.  As mentioned, he was like this before the first 2015 AFC Wildcard Game.  There's a difference, but people in the military get whacked way worse, and while some do have the effects, some fight and get through it, get the help they need.

I'm sorry; it's a shame since there are a ton of great AB moments, but it is what it is.

Back to Aaron Rodgers.  On Wednesday, there was a guy on a local Pittsburgh radio station that said something to the tune of A-Rod getting traded (maybe to the Steelers) for a 1st and 3rd round pick.  That would be a dream within a dream.  Though, IMO, there could be an ounce of disrespect to Rodgers (if he's only worth a 1st & a 3rd despite it meaning it'll be easier to get him out of Green Bay).  Speaking of disrespect, that would be me to John Clayton upon my reference of "a guy".  Speaking of the MVP:

11 hours ago, roamyn said:

I doubt he’s going to get it.  My money’s on KylerMurray or Ja’Mar Chase.

I couldn't disagree more.  Not the A-Rod not winning part (I actually think he might lose, but not by much).  Ja'Mar Chase has no shot at it this year.  He still has a long way to go to catch/pass AB, Fitz, Megatron, and obviously Jerry Rice.  Those four combine for zero MVP titles.  Rookie of the year?  Absolutely.  They'll never give it to him (the MVP) over Burrow.  Kyler is done.  Arizona has been very good this season, but prior to their slump, Murray returned from injury.  They were winning with Colt McCoy.

I think I'll come down to 50/50 Brady/A-Rod.  If Brady wins it, that's not total robbery, but an ounce of robbery.  The reasoning, IMO would be 44-year old Brady with 40 TD + Aaron just won it last year

• Love 3

I will always feel guilty because the year Ben was suspended no one drafted him in the fantasy football league I was in, so I grabbed him off the wire and stashed him on my bench and ended up winning the league.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Nothing against Biles what she did was perfectly fine and within her choice, but it's not a choice you should get athlete of the year for when your performance in the actual Olympics is underwhelming and not what everyone expected. 

That is...an incredibly misguided and uninformed take on Simone Biles.  In fact, she deserves all of the Athlete of the Year awards she's gotten, and then some.

• Love 12

I'm sorry to laugh there.  Any chance the New Jersey York teams can countersue for damages to ones common sense upon reading that article?  Asking for a friend just me

Edited by Carey
Chance & Change Aren't The Same Thing
  • LOL 7

I mean, "C'Mon Man!"

I know times are tough, and money's tight.  But give me a break.  Cheap way to get a buck or two and much more.  Feels like this NY fan was trying to steal the spotlight from AB and the Bucs.  Good luck with that!

Antonio Brown: I'm AB!

Fan from New York: And I'm not.

AB: Today is all about ME.  Business is boomin again!

NY Fan: Hold My Bee--- (***fan fumbles drink before AB can hold it***)

AB: You good, your beer ain't in my league!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

All the jokes, a.k.a. as a cheap attempt at a laugh, it would've been meaningful if I made mention to the fact that AB's Tampa ouster is really official.

What was crazy was that it wasn't even the last significant story.  I'll pass on linking it here, but I think you'll definitely find out the answer, when you're not on the job, and if you search "After Antonio Was Cut Hotel" on Google

I get that hating on Rodgers is a new cottage industry but this is probably one of the most ridiculous sports things I've ever seen taken seriously.  Boomer should know better than to believe this "source".

He has waited for 11 years to get back to the Superbowl.  If he gets there, he's going to sit it out? Ha.  He couldn't even sit out the off season correctly.

Hell, it looks like he's going to play in Detroit this weekend, a meaningless game, but then he'll nope out of the Superbowl? 

Someone's trolling that program.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

If I am reading my FB memories correctly, today is the 11th anniversary of “Beast Quake”.

I was actually rooting for the Saints, but if it’s not my team I start pulling for the home team, and I was delighted Seattle won because the media was apoplectic that a team with a losing record hosted a playoff game.

Also it still boggles my mind that if not for a DWI, Marshawn might have still been with the Bills then.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

If I am reading my FB memories correctly, today is the 11th anniversary of “Beast Quake”.

They broke that play down with Marshawn this morning on one of the NFL programs.  It was quite entertaining to listen to him analyze that play step by step!

• Love 2

The Rodgers thing:   Boomer Esiason on whatever show this is talks about a text he received, which others immediately tweeted about, and during the show, Esiason ultimately concludes  he has been pranked.  So instead of reporting that, everyone focuses on OMG!  Is Rodgers really threatening this?  Wasn't Boomer supposedly once a competitive athlete?  Does he really think for even one second that a guy like Rodgers, who on the field has been shown to be nothing but deadly serious about winning, would actually contemplate doing this?  The guy who has suffered numerous broken bones, concussions and other injuries in an attempt to win in the NFL, to get to another Super Bowl, to cement his legacy, is going to boycott the Super Bowl?  Aaron may be cuckoo off the field, but on the field, I don't think anyone in the league would question his commitment to winning.  

This is the problem with Twitter and all these sports talk shows.  Rather than take a minute to think about something, to investigate, it's immediately tweeted, reported as "breaking news" on multiple media outlets, when it is nonsense.  Or as Rodgers said, the dumbest fucking story ever.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Week 18 Picks: Chiefs, Cowboys, Washington, Browns, Ravens, Packers, Jaguars, Vikings, Texans, Falcons, Cardinals, Bills, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Niners, TIE

Yeah, merylinkid.  It is a meaningless NFC East game for both Dallas & Philly.  Probably a game several would advise to avoid betting on.  IMO, this weekend is a nice sample of blah in terms of the games.  Yeah there's movement toward getting (a lot) and seeding.  However, it's the first boring season finale in quite a long time

Last bitch about this damn dumb 17 game season…when I turned on ABC just now, I forgot this was the regular season and I thought I was going to watch a playoff game.  Stupid greedy owners.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4