Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It sounds like the OC Darrell Bevel is taking over as interim coach.

I'm curious if this is the shortest tenure for a head coach that wasn't a mid-season replacement.

And yet, I'm surprised he made it this far considering everything that has come out about this guy.  I guess literally kicking your kicker was a bridge too far for the team.

As a tOSU fan, who loves what Urban did for the Buckeyes, I knew from the beginning this would be a massive mistake.  Urban is a tolitarian coach, and while that might have success in College, that kind of attitude WILL NOT go over with grown men.  He’s stubborn, (can be an ass), and doesn’t kowtow. 

And IMO he’s done as an announcer, too.  He’s too toxic to touch.

On a scarier note, rumors have it that the Bears are going aft Ryan Day, to pair w/Justin Fields again.  DO NOT TOUCH THAT ORGANIZATION WITH A 10’ POLE!

• Love 3

I'm so glad Urban Meyer has been fired. He is an asshole. He has earned this firing. 

11 minutes ago, roamyn said:

As a tOSU fan, who loves what Urban did for the Buckeyes, I knew from the beginning this would be a massive mistake.

Anyone with a functioning BRAIN knew this would be a massive mistake. He tolerates abhorrent behavior from his coaching staff (remember what happened with Zach Smith), is an odious liar, and an all-around prick. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

'm curious if this is the shortest tenure for a head coach that wasn't a mid-season replacement.

Missed it by one game.   Meyer coached 14 games.   Petrino of the Atlanta Falcons quit after 13 games to take the Arkansas job.   

Meyer should have been gone after he kicked the player in the off season.   Legal knew about it the day after it happened.   but was probably told "we don't kick players in the NFL."   Then he should have been fired after he stayed behind in Ohio to "see his grandkids" after that loss but was hanging out in a bar.   Then he should have been fired, that instead of owning up to that screw up, he put it on the PLAYERS to fix the problem they had with him after that.   Oh after he cancelled PRACTICE.   Because a losing team doesn't need to practice right?   Not when the head coach is all embarassed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Carey said:

That's concerning for Stefanski, especially if you factor in the booster; it's his second time in less than a year.  TBH, throughout the league, and all of sports, and all of life, this pandemic, the part we're in, is concerning, period.

That Delta variant is nasty and doesn't respect vaccinations or previous illness, speaking from experience. Perhaps Stefanski has an underlying condition that's weakened his immune system. My brother had symptomless Covid last March, was vaccinated afterwards, then caught it again in September. He still hasn't come home yet. I'm vaccinated but caught it. 

I was wrong.   I thought last week was week 15 and everyone had played 14 games.   It was week 14 and everyone has only played 13 games.

So Petrino and Meyer are TIED for shortest tenure.   Although one bailed because he found it too hard and one kicked a player.   You decide who was the worst.

• Love 2

I was mulling Meyer & his past year’s behavior this morning, and it dawned on me that he’s never had a losing season of any kind, to my knowledge.

Therefore, he didn’t know how to cope, and the stress brought out the asshole behavior ten-fold.

The pain of the cyst to lash out cannot be emphasized enough, as well.  From personal (recent) experience, you have a lot less patience, a lot more peevishness, and behave in an appalling (regretful) manner. For me, I’ve just chosen to keep away from people (and getting a procedure done helped), but Urban can’t because of his job.  Why on Earth he ever thought this was a good idea, other than ego & a chance to coach Trevor, is beyond me.  Where were his family & Shelley & his doctors?

The 2024 Super Bowl was supposed to be held in New Orleans, but the new 17 game schedule pushed the SB date into Mardi Gras.  Does this mean New Orleans will never be able to hold the Super Bowl again?  Or is Ash Wednesday a moving date like Easter?

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The 2024 Super Bowl was supposed to be held in New Orleans, but the new 17 game schedule pushed the SB date into Mardi Gras.  Does this mean New Orleans will never be able to hold the Super Bowl again?  Or is Ash Wednesday a moving date like Easter?

No & Yes.  New Orleans is scheduled the host it a year later (Super Bowl 59 in 2025 for the 2024 season).  Ash Wednesday is always 46 calendar days before Easter.

It is what it is.  It didn't stop them in the past from having the Big Game so close to Mardi Gras.  Happed twice in the past 20 years

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Dan Snyder must have some absolutely FANTASTIC dirt on the entire league, because I can’t think of another reason why Goodell is protecting him.

Goodell works for the owners - if they wanted Snyder gone then he'd be out.  The owners don't want to set the precedent of abhorrent behavior = lose your team, because most of them have their own skeletons.  Not as bad as Snyder, but in their eyes it's a slippery slope.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Carey said:

It is what it is.  It didn't stop them in the past from having the Big Game so close to Mardi Gras.  Happed twice in the past 20 years

But was it in NOLA when it happened?  I think the concern would be hotel space. 

53 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:
4 hours ago, Carey said:

But was it in NOLA when it happened?  I think the concern would be hotel space. 

Yep.  Both in 2002 & in 2013 (but not in 2005).  Mardi Gras was 2 days removed from Super Bowl XXXIX.  That year, Jacksonville hosted, and I was a total mess two days later in New York, but not because of the result; it was Mardi Gras.

The dates in 2002 and 2013 were a perfect match based on the day each day fell on the calendar.  To best be clear, they correspond; EX: February 3rd was a Sunday in both years, Good Friday was on 3/29 in both years, and the year started and ended on a Tuesday.

My guess, and based off of some comments I think, was that the NFL and company remembered the "mess" and didn't want to repeat it.  Whatever.  FWIW, who knows how the Pandemic will factor two years plus from now

I know they win and I'm glad they did.  And mahommes brought them back.  And I like mahommes......

BUT........

Mahommes looked really bad most of the game. Missing easy throws.  Missed an easy TD on a short out route.  Wide open receiver.  That just didn't look like the typical mahommes. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, voiceover said:

Finally stopped shrieking long enough to upload the radio call of Kelce’s walkoff as my new ringtone.

I LOVE when ESPN plays the Kansas City radio call.  “Touchdown…Kannn-sass CITY”

• Love 1
On 12/16/2021 at 12:53 AM, twoods said:

I hope he doesn’t get another NFL coaching gig ever. What an asshole.

I hope he doesn't get another coaching gig period. He shouldn't have been coaching college boys either. Then again it seems like a lot of these coaches shouldn't be in charge of a hot dog stand let alone 125 human beings. 

58 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I know they won’t but with the unreasonable number of positive cases taking players off the field, the NFL really needs to pause this week, let everyone isolate, and pick it up again next week.

HAHAHAHA and loose money?!?! Ahhh, thanks for the laugh.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know they won’t but with the unreasonable number of positive cases taking players off the field, the NFL really needs to pause this week, let everyone isolate, and pick it up again next week.

Now BOTH Browns QBs are COVID +

Just as we’re making a push for the AFC North.

7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Mahomes looked really bad most of the game. Missing easy throws.  Missed an easy TD on a short out route.  Wide open receiver.  That just didn't look like the typical mahommes. 

You sounded upset so I thought I’d tack this here:

99F185AD-F602-454F-9751-108EA26DC8AA.jpeg

• Love 3

NFL reschedules 3 games due to COVID

The NFL postponed three games that had been scheduled for this weekend because of coronavirus issues on the Cleveland Browns, Washington Football Team and Los Angeles Rams.

The games were rescheduled for Monday and Tuesday. The moves represent the first postponements of this NFL season after several games were rescheduled last season.

One of those games was supposed to be on Saturday.

This is gonna be tough if we get into the playoffs with COVID issues.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

So now the Eagles (and the Raiders &Seahawks) have to play on short rest even with no outbreaks. cool andy samberg GIF

Players not happy

From what I have read, if these games were canceled  then the players from all teams would not get paid.   The players union was looking out for all members when they pushed the NFL to reschedule.  

This both helps and hurts the Browns.  They need to play this game in order to stay in the hunt for winning the division or getting a wild card spot.  But, they also have to play Green Bay on Saturday.  And yet, none of the Browns players are taking to social media to complain about their short week.   

13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

From what I have read, if these games were canceled  then the players from all teams would not get paid.   The players union was looking out for all members when they pushed the NFL to reschedule.  

This both helps and hurts the Browns.  They need to play this game in order to stay in the hunt for winning the division or getting a wild card spot.  But, they also have to play Green Bay on Saturday.  And yet, none of the Browns players are taking to social media to complain about their short week.   

Or they could just play on Sunday. It's not the Eagles , Seahawks or raiders faults. they don't have breakouts but are penalized.

The PA isnt looking out for everybody if the players on the other team arent happy. Especially when the president of the NFLPA plays for the Browns 🤔

Edited by shoregirl
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Or they could just play on Sunday. It's not the Eagles , Seahawks or raiders faults. they don't have breakouts but are penalized.

Do we know if it's the fault of the Browns, Rams or wft? 

Omnicron, Delta and fading immunity are probably hitting the NFL right now.  Unless there are large swaths of unvaccinated players (or players who faked being vaccinated), it could just be that those three teams are the recipients of bad luck.  But if they've been following the protocols set out by the NFL, I don't think I'm willing to say that it's their fault it's happening.

• Love 3

There's only so much they can do.   If one team is having a HUGE outbreak -- even among vaxxed players, common sense says you don't play the games.   But you can't make players who FOLLOWED the Rules lose a paycheck.   Forfeits and lost game checks are only if there is an outbreak preventing the game from being played among  UNvaxxed players AND it cannot be rescheduled.   Also, the other team would have lost their checks too, so maaaaaybe the Raiders want to shut up about forfeits due to Covid.

The NFL WAS going to play the games as scheduled.   it was the NFLPA that stepped in and said No becauxe of player safety.    Not just more exposure for players, but also if you have fewer guys, they are playing longer in a game and likely to get hurt.   There was going to be some real compromise of game integrity.   

I'm just bummed that the tuesday games are at the same time instead of a double header like Monday is.   

• Love 7
16 hours ago, voiceover said:

You sounded upset so I thought I’d tack this here:

99F185AD-F602-454F-9751-108EA26DC8AA.jpeg

Im wasnt upset.  I commented on how I know they won in the end.  I like mahommes, though indifferent to the chiefs. 

But if you are going to post his last ten minutes, I'd point out his season INTs are way up and he generally has not played well all year to his usual level.  and watching him last night, I see why. 

It was a close game and exciting but either team makes those mistakes last night in the playoffs and they aren't going far. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

There's only so much they can do.   If one team is having a HUGE outbreak -- even among vaxxed players, common sense says you don't play the games.   But you can't make players who FOLLOWED the Rules lose a paycheck.   Forfeits and lost game checks are only if there is an outbreak preventing the game from being played among  UNvaxxed players AND it cannot be rescheduled.   Also, the other team would have lost their checks too, so maaaaaybe the Raiders want to shut up about forfeits due to Covid.

The NFL WAS going to play the games as scheduled.   it was the NFLPA that stepped in and said No becauxe of player safety.    Not just more exposure for players, but also if you have fewer guys, they are playing longer in a game and likely to get hurt.   There was going to be some real compromise of game integrity.   

I'm just bummed that the tuesday games are at the same time instead of a double header like Monday is.   

Moving games though you're just trading one problem for another with player safety.  

You move a game to Tuesday now you have a very short week the following game, much like Thursday games. Which typically suck.  Except now one team is playing on a shirt week and one a regular week.  Which again just is uneven. 

You can't make it all fair.  You're just shifting the risk and uneven nature. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

JT 70 yard TD for the win vs #1 D with 10 in the box. 

Been waiting since 2009 for that colts win. 

BB and the pats can 💋 my ....

It was really fun to see it live. The crowd went insane. 

• Love 4

The networks need to end this bullshit where any conference can be on any network because the goddamn Bills and Titans should not fucking be on FOX which means the Giants cannot be on any goddamn network in this area.  Yes the Giants are losers but they’re MY losers and I want to see them play, dammit.

Oh fuck never mind the Bills are playing the Panthers and that game would be on FOX in the old days.  But still.  Fuck Buffalo.  They’re only 70 miles closer to Syracuse than East Rutherford so why should they be the local damn team?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Yes the Giants are losers but they’re MY losers and I want to see them play, dammit.

I think just about the entire country is getting the Giants game, except you in upstate NY, and me in Charlotte.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The networks need to end this bullshit where any conference can be on any network because the goddamn Bills and Titans should not fucking be on FOX which means the Giants cannot be on any goddamn network in this area.  Yes the Giants are losers but they’re MY losers and I want to see them play, dammit.

Oh fuck never mind the Bills are playing the Panthers and that game would be on FOX in the old days.  But still.  Fuck Buffalo.  They’re only 70 miles closer to Syracuse than East Rutherford so why should they be the local damn team?

Wish you could come over to my house and watch since I'm barely paying attention...  

And yeah!  70 miles is nothing!!  😄

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Yes the Giants are losers but they’re MY losers and I want to see them play, dammit.

They're my losers, too, but it's usually too painful for me to watch.  I'm going up and down the dial today.  No must-see games this morning.

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I think just about the entire country is getting the Giants game, except you in upstate NY, and me in Charlotte.

Yep, I'm in Los Angeles and it's one of the few Giants games I get this season (because FOX thinks it's doing me a big favor and showing me a Cowboys game - fuck off with that "America's team" bullshit, FOX).  And of course I watched, but it wasn't good for my health.

• Love 5