Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The Titans/49ers game just ended. I have a question for one of you experts about the very last play. The Titans scored a field goal with 4 seconds to go. The 49ers, when they got the ball, threw it to each other down the field. At one point the ball fell to the ground. Shouldn't the play be over at this point? As an incomplete pass? Instead a guy picked it up and threw it to someone else and the whole thing ended when a Titan tackled the ball carrier.

Also Beasley is a fool and I hope Stefon Diggs is not that stupid.

Darvin Cook has Covid and probably won't play on Sunday.

The Vikings game on Monday vs Chicago wasn't that great, but I was at the 2018 and 2019 games at Soldier Field and the Vikings' game last Monday was stellar compared to those games.

43 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

At one point the ball fell to the ground. Shouldn't the play be over at this point? As an incomplete pass?

39 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The rules must not apply to laterals or backwards passes. That said, I too thought that dropped lateral ended the game.

I didn't see the last play but this would be the reason. 

I think the ball can only be thrown forward once (which is why reverses are tossed backwards).  And it has to be done from behind the line of scrimmage. Once the ball is past the line of scrimmage, it can only be thrown backwards.  Backward passes or tosses that fall on the ground are fumbles and are considered live balls until the ball holder is brought down. 

• Love 4

I had a hatred for the 49ers for decades that has cooled down quite a bit.  But after their loss last night and what it means for one other sucky franchise, I can start hating them again.  Thanks for nothing, Frisco!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The Giants free soda give away gets worse. :. 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/19/new-york-giants-free-medium-pepsi-giveaway-somehow-gets-worse/

So the Giants decide to 'reward' all season ticket holders with.......

A free MEDOUM soda!!!

Not a large.   No commemorative cup. I mean what would you commemorate this season. No, free medium soda. 

But it's not even that. It's only a free medium soda for the purchaser of the tickets.  So if you buy say a set of 4 season tickets , the one person who bought them gets one free soda. Medium. Not four for each ticket.  One for the person who purchased them. 

I mean let's not go crazy!!!  This is only a multibillion dollar league with billionaire owners.  We can't be going around giving away overpriced medium sodas to EVERY season ticket holder!! 

• LOL 6
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The Giants free soda give away gets worse. :. 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/19/new-york-giants-free-medium-pepsi-giveaway-somehow-gets-worse/

So the Giants decide to 'reward' all season ticket holders with.......

A free MEDOUM soda!!!

Not a large.   No commemorative cup. I mean what would you commemorate this season. No, free medium soda. 

But it's not even that. It's only a free medium soda for the purchaser of the tickets.  So if you buy say a set of 4 season tickets , the one person who bought them gets one free soda. Medium. Not four for each ticket.  One for the person who purchased them. 

I mean let's not go crazy!!!  This is only a multibillion dollar league with billionaire owners.  We can't be going around giving away overpriced medium sodas to EVERY season ticket holder!! 

Yeah It was fan appreciation night.   But apparently only SOME fans were appreciated.   Oh 4 season tickets, here's your ONE medium soda.    Did NO ONE in PR go "umm this is stupid guys."   Or did Gettelman hire the PR folks too?

• Love 4

Whew, finally caught up on football. COVID sucks for the players, but the delays are allowing me watch a lot more games! 

I often chuckle at the cartoon drawings of the players. I think Jimmy G got the rawest deal. The guy's got movie star looks, but he looks like Mickey Rourke post boxing career pummelhead in his illustration. 

I guess the Cards are gonna fall apart at the last hurdle. Luckily, I never get my hopes up, cuz I know they have a propensity to implode for no apparent reason. 

I happen to loooove when TB throws shit. I used to love it cuz I hated him so much. Now that I like him, I just enjoy it cuz it's funny. Hey, at least he cares if he loses. I am looking at you Kyler Murray!!!! 

• LOL 1

Besides the obvious, I realized my current problem with Aaron Rodgers (even though I still root for him and the Pack to win) … his hair is too greasy and stringy to be at the length he is currently wearing it.  When he was younger, it was thicker and he could keep it that long.  But now it just hangs limply out of his helmet and it looks gross and smelly.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Besides the obvious, I realized my current problem with Aaron Rodgers (even though I still root for him and the Pack to win) … his hair is too greasy and stringy to be at the length he is currently wearing it.  When he was younger, it was thicker and he could keep it that long.  But now it just hangs limply out of his helmet and it looks gross and smelly.

He looks like he reeks. 

• Love 9

Then he gets serenaded by the fans as he leaves the stadium after he was such a dick at the beginning of the year to management. Now he’s likely going to win a SB. Blah.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, twoods said:

Then he gets serenaded by the fans as he leaves the stadium after he was such a dick at the beginning of the year to management. Now he’s likely going to win a SB. Blah.

Im neutral towards green Bay and used to like Rodgers.  

In the past nine months it's reached the point I can't stand him, for many reasons. It's obvious his prior persona was all a charade and he is an arrogant self absorbed ass. Hated him on Jeopardy he sucked.  His hair is awful demands to be traded.  His covid lies. 

The same for his untalented little twit of a fiance.  Though I never really liked her anyway. 

• Love 11
15 hours ago, twoods said:

Not with that defense.  The Packers' D has been in a funk for the past month.  Yes, they got 4 INTs yesterday, but they gave up a ton of yards.  If the Browns had not inexplicably gone away from the run and had not foolishly relied on Mayfield so much, the Packers would have lost by 2 scores.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, twoods said:

Then he gets serenaded by the fans as he leaves the stadium after he was such a dick at the beginning of the year to management.

I'm not sure why fans should care about what happened between management and the QB.  Rodgers actually shut his mouth for the most part with that situation...unlike his COVID stupidness.

41 minutes ago, Calvada said:

he Packers' D has been in a funk for the past month.  Yes, they got 4 INTs yesterday, but they gave up a ton of yards.  If the Browns had not inexplicably gone away from the run and had not foolishly relied on Mayfield so much, the Packers would have lost by 2 scores.  

It's so weird that GB is back to the the defense doing just enough now that the offense has figured itself out which also started happening about 4 weeks ago--although the offense for GB also got conservative in the 2nd half so it wasn't just the Browns making strange choices.

It's crazy to think that AZ was once the last undefeated team and now they've lost 3. 

The Giants offense is embarrassing and atrocious.  I know the defense is the one giving up all the points but they are fucking gassed.

What happened to this once beautiful and proud franchise?  (Spoiler alert - it was Gettleman)

• Love 1

All of it finally caught up with the Ravens.   Lamar Jackson out with injuries.  Tyrone Huntley tests positive yesterday.   As they go play the Bengals.   Joe Burrow then goes out and has the game of his career so far.   

As for the Saints, they are so desparate for a QB with both Taysom Hill and Trevor Sieman in Covid protocols, they actually called Drew Brees AND Phillip Rivers to see if they would come out of retirement.  

That's THIS week.   Two weeks when the last week is played after everyone was at gatherings for Christmas?  Yeah hot mess.   The League gave up on limiting gatherings outside the facilities.  It will not end well.

• Love 1

The Ravens are playing guys I have legitimately never heard of, who have no business being on an NFL field. It's kind of funny, once you realise the season is a total loss and there's no point getting worked up over it.

Harbs keeping this team in almost every game until the final play is genuine COTY stuff.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Harbs keeping this team in almost every game until the final play is genuine COTY stuff.

But if he had gone for OT in those two games instead of the two failed two point conversions, he might have two more wins under his belt and totally locked COTY.  As it is, those decisions have cost his team, and him.

I wasn't going to watch Chicago-Seattle, but I just popped in there and SNOW!  Squee!  (We don't get snow in Phoenix.  Haven't seen snow in almost four years.  My daughter hasn't seen it in 16 years.)  I love snowy football games.

But yes, I'm going to switch to Pgh-KC when it starts.  Is it snowing in Kansas City?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

But if he had gone for OT in those two games instead of the two failed two point conversions, he might have two more wins under his belt and totally locked COTY.  As it is, those decisions have cost his team, and him.

He has almost thirty players out injured, the last thing the team needs are overtime games that risk further injuries. Going for two was the right choice, in both games.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Danny Franks said:

He has almost thirty players out injured, the last thing the team needs are overtime games that risk further injuries. Going for two was the right choice, in both games.

I do understand your point, but especially when voters are looking at COTY, they're going to consider those choices.  If the team had won those games, he'd have gotten extra brownie points for his decision making.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Snow game in Seattle! The game means nothing, but the snow is fun. 😊

A sportscaster for a TV station in Seattle moved from Syracuse to Seattle this summer.  I am so angry with him for apparently taking all of our snow with him!

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I do understand your point, but especially when voters are looking at COTY, they're going to consider those choices.  If the team had won those games, he'd have gotten extra brownie points for his decision making.

Only records will matter in COTY discussion. They don't care if the wins come in OT or via going for 2. And most people around the league have praised him for those choices even when it didn't work out. 

I don't think Harbaugh would be up there as a possibility.  They were 11-5 last season.  They'd have to either improve on that or have the best record in the league. 

Edited by Irlandesa

I can't decide which version of Romo I hate more. The version where the game is close and he's shouting and hyper and constantly trying to guess what the QB will do (I swear, at one point early on in the Chiefs/Steelers game he shouted "Mahomes is going to throw it here or run it!"), or the one where the game is a blow out and he has too much time to pontificate on the stupid, meaningless crap that floats around in his head. I hate both versions of Romo.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

What is going on with the WFT sideline? I've only caught bits and pieces but it seems like two players got into a swinging match and now NBC cameras are stalking them on the sidelines, hoping for another brawl.

5 minutes ago, emma675 said:

What is going on with the WFT sideline? I've only caught bits and pieces but it seems like two players got into a swinging match and now NBC cameras are stalking them on the sidelines, hoping for another brawl.

That seems to be the case but I can't quite figure it out. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The announcers said 33 out as of Friday.  And another corner out today.  I expect to see them trolling local high schools soon for players.

As a Ravens fan, I'm trying to look on the bright side.  With all these injuries, the RAVENS are still making the games come down to the final plays (Bengals excepted).  Makes me optimistic about next year, when, hopefully, the team is healthier.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

One player put his finger in another player's face for some reason. I saw a clip of it on Twitter.  Let me go find it.

According to my page-a-day calendar, on this date in 1981 the Giants won a wild card playoff game.  Flash forward 40 years and not only are there still two weeks left in the regular season, we don’t even know who all the playoff teams will be.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

According to my page-a-day calendar, on this date in 1981 the Giants won a wild card playoff game.  Flash forward 40 years and not only are there still two weeks left in the regular season, we don’t even know who all the playoff teams will be.

Ironically enough just about all we do know is that the Giants won't be one of them...

• LOL 1

How are we all doing today?   The Cowboys, the NFC East Champs are doing just fine thank you.

Gee, I didn't know that winning such a crappy overhyped division called the NFC East is such a great accomplishment. Especially from that team. 

Oh well, it'll make it even sweeter when "Dem Boys:  fall flat on their faces in the Playoffs like they always do. They always find a way to mess it up when it really counts & I can't wait for that to happen in a few weeks.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

How are we all doing today?   The Cowboys, the NFC East Champs are doing just fine thank you.

That was a fun game last night and the offense finally started clicking again. I just hope they don't forget that it was the WFT and get too overconfident these last few weeks. There are still regular season games to handle.

And I'm not a fan of the WFT but good lord, I feel for their fans. What a mess, especially with Snyder still in charge.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, emma675 said:

And I'm not a fan of the WFT but good lord, I feel for their fans. What a mess, especially with Snyder still in charge.

Aww thanks, but don't feel bad for us WTFers.  😅

You see, we get off on hating Dallas and it's fun--even when we get our asses kicked.   It doesn't matter.  Dallas will always suck monkey balls to us and we live to hate on them.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh did I mention the Cowboys are the #2 seed in the NFC?

Everybody hates a winner.

Uh, when is the last time that the Cowboys won anything significant? I don't think winning that useless overhyped division called the NFC East is anything to bragged about.

13 minutes ago, Magog said:

Uh, when is the last time that the Cowboys won anything significant?

Since 2000, the Cowboys have won 3 playoff games, all Wild Card games, and each time went on to lose the Divisional playoff game. They last won the Super Bowl in January 1996, for the 1995 season.

Edited by Moose135
  • LOL 2
15 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Ya'all just can't stand to see Dallas do well.

I just can't stand to see Dallas, period.  But they'll implode in the playoffs like they always do, and I won't have to see them anymore until next season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9