Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Thursday's game really doesn't matter, since neither team is going anywhere.  That's a shame for Minnesota.  All those Super Bowl appearances, and not even one title in the half-century plus history of the Super Bowl era.  You'd think they would've been the team play the big game in their home stadium, but it so didn't work out.

I think the Vikings will win.  It looks like the perfect spot to toss Zimmer, so a win would spare Mike until the end of the season.  Speaking of mid-season stuff, not counting Vegas, it's the first season, I believe, in nine years where no HC was let go within the season.  Not that it can't happen in the next 4 weeks, but it's been the norm for the past several years

5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Who do you want to see win tomorrow, Vikings or Squealers?

If there is a god, it will end in a tie. If not, then the Steelers winning would be fine by me. 

5 hours ago, Carey said:

I think the Vikings will win.  It looks like the perfect spot to toss Zimmer, so a win would spare Mike until the end of the season

He should of been fired after falling flat on his face against the sorry Lions. Frankly, the Vikings suck & they really pissed me this season. Its bad enough that these losers couldn't beat the Cowboys on Halloween. Now, they lost to the Lions costing me the joy of seeing them go winless again. There is no reason to ever root for Kirk Cousins & the Vikings for the rest of the season or next season.

As for the NFC Least, that division isn't worth a damn & both of these teams are vomit-inducing (especially the Cowboys). But, it would be nice to see the WFT win the game on Sunday. 

Edited by Magog

The Vikings lost to the Lioins.   The Steelers tied the Lions.   Tonight is the "We Couldn't Even Beat the Lions Bowl."

Vikings are who they always were -- mediocre.   And ownership seems fine with that.   Going all in on Kirk Cousins was always going to be a mistake.   He's  ... mediocre at best.   They never really tried to find a GOOD quarterback and jettisoned the ones they did have.

Steelers are going with Ben Roethlisberger because even knowing this was probably his last season they didn't draft QB to develop.   So that left them with Dwayne Hasksins and Mason Rudolph when Ben showed his age this year.   Rudolph is a known quantity.  Not that good.   There was hope with Dwayne Hasksins but he proved he doesn't really want to put in the effort so they couldn't even use him when they really needed him.  they wouldn't have Ben playing if they had ANYONE else who could do better.   Tomlin might be coaching his last year.   The Rooneys are loyal but a lot fell apart this year that really shouldn't have.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I just got home from choir practice and it looks like Ben is still in the game. And at 26-0 it looks like Vikungs will win this one, but we will see when the clock runs to zero in the 4th quarter.

Demaryius Thomas dead at 33

No cause or other information has been reported.  A few people on Twitter are saying car crash, but that's Twitter, so...

Just stunned at this news.

Update:  Watching the Denver Sports Show this morning, apparently he was found in his bed and they are thinking some sort of seizure.

Edited by Sile
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s quite possible Ben Roethlisberger is going to retire at halftime.

I said the same thing over on twitter.  Of course Chase Claypool committing penalties every 10 minutes don't help.   that one in the first quarter was just stupid.  

A run play for the 2 point conversion was not going to work when they hadn't hadn't gotten the running game going in the game.   I would not have done it.

So Steelers tied the Lions, Vikings lose to the Lions, Vikings beat the Steelers.   Make it make sense.

15 hours ago, Sile said:

Demaryius Thomas dead at 33

No cause or other information has been reported.  A few people on Twitter are saying car crash, but that's Twitter, so...

Just stunned at this news.

Update:  Watching the Denver Sports Show this morning, apparently he was found in his bed and they are thinking some sort of seizure.

According to his family he'd been having seizures and had a seizure in the shower. So sad. He seemed like a great guy.

A bunch of these videos today making fun of chase claypool s first down celebration, so funny. 

https://fb.watch/9QvCJjbD6F/

The DT story is so awful.  SUDEP sudden unexplained death in epilepsy is a known condition, rare. But also killed Cameron Boyce  Though he could have had a seizure and injury in the shower, head trauma then not SUDEP but still awful. 

This is a great article from 2014 on DT and his childhood, a must read. Unimaginable to most of us. 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11830457/denver-broncos-demaryius-thomas-dreams-reuniting-estranged-family

We’ve had crazy winds even up here the last two days which has caused two power outages.  The power went out today at 12:45 so I turned off the Wi-Fi and messed around to try to get the NFL app to work, but the power came back on at 1:03 so I turn on the TV, 17 seconds into the Raiders/Chiefs game.  And see Kansas City in the end zone.  Uh, Raiders?  What’s up?

The WFT is picking a nice time right now laying down like dogs & playing dead (getting pounded 24-0). Freaking losers. I can't believe people actually thought that this idiot team actually had a chance to put a smile on my face & upset the Cowboys.

Jerry Jones is smiling right now & that makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.

• Love 2

Boy, it looked there for a minute like Cleveland would, in true Brownsian fashion, seize defeat from the jaws of victory, but they managed to hang on. 

Harbaugh's gonna take more flak this week, for going for two early, thus putting him in need of two scores at the end of the game.

1 hour ago, Magog said:

Jerry Jones is smiling right now & tha

1 hour ago, Magog said:

The WFT is picking a nice time right now laying down like dogs & playing dead (getting pounded 24-0). Freaking losers. I can't believe people actually thought that this idiot team actually had a chance to put a smile on my face & upset the Cowboys.

Jerry Jones is smiling right now & that makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.

I bet Jerry isn't smiling now. 

16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck Dallas.

I know, right?  And now I'm reduced to having to root either for a cheater, a COVID denier, or that team that plays down the street to keep Dall-ass from getting the first round bye.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Tony Romo has never met a moment of silence that he doesn’t immediately fill with babble. 

I find him quite humorous at times, especially if a game is a blowout and it's getting boring to the viewers.  He can really come up with some zingers!  He did that with a Buc's game earlier this year.  

25 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m conflicted. I want Buffalo to lose, but I also want Tom Brady to lose. I guess I want a tie?

Calm has been restored to the Chat household now that the Bucs survived OT.  Why has almost every game the Bucs have played this year been filled with so much anxiety?!  Missed catches; interceptions; dropped passes; missed tackles..................etc.  Argh!!   Okay, heartrate is back to normal.  Yes, we take this way too seriously!  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Tony Romo has never met a moment of silence that he doesn’t immediately fill with babble. 

I think Tony Romo must think he gets paid by the word. Tom Brady helped the Patriots even though he no longer plays for them.

• Love 1

Why yes, I am going to be insufferable all week.   

The Skins are just a disorganized team all around.   Two players hurt on a play, Heinke and another one.   The other one required assistance on the field.   The trainers just LEFT their SCISSORS on the field.   Fortunately Heinke spotted them as he was walking off and picked them up.   How do trainers not check to make sure they have everything before exiting the field?   ANY debris on the field could lead to injury.

• Love 2

Has RGIII’s episode been released yet where he skewers Washington for ruining his leg and sending players to play on an unplayable field?  I don’t even know where that was supposed to be aired, I just heard he was going to do it.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Why yes, I am going to be insufferable all week.   

The Skins are just a disorganized team all around.   Two players hurt on a play, Heinke and another one.   The other one required assistance on the field.   The trainers just LEFT their SCISSORS on the field.   Fortunately Heinke spotted them as he was walking off and picked them up.   How do trainers not check to make sure they have everything before exiting the field?   ANY debris on the field could lead to injury.

That happened earlier this year as well.  I think during a Patriots game? They were lining up for a play when a DL just stepped forward. I was thinking, did he just amble offsides? Then he held up scissors and walked it to the sidelines.

Edit:

Found it! Chiefs vs. Raiders, four weeks ago.

I should add that the scissors aren't pointy but with rounded tips, so it isn't quite as dangerous as it sounds.

Edited by Fukui San

Tough loss for Arizona, but necessary win for Los Angeles!  Pretty good game nonetheless.  Looked like Arizona was on the way early for the season sweep, then the Rams moved the score up to a huge lead real quick in the second half.  The Cards were pretty close toward achieving a tie to get to overtime, but fell 30-23 to their division rival.

The Cardinals have been rolling for most of the season & really are in no danger of missing the playoffs with 4 games left, most of which are winnable games.  However, they fail to be the first team to clinch a postseason berth.

Arizona, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay are tied for first place in the NFC, with the Packers currently in first place off of tiebreakers due to a better conference record, while the Bucs are second place currently thanks to defeating better teams than what the Cardinals have faced this season (SOV).  If all three win out, the road to SoFi Stadium will go through Lambeau in the NFC.  It would be the second time in as many years that Green Bay gets the top seed.  Unlike last year, it should benefit the Packers with a full slate of fans.

The only roadblock I see for the Packers is this Sunday at Baltimore.  The good news for them is Lamar not being 100%.  Regardless, if Green Bay can escape with a victory at M&T Bank Stadium, the top spot would be theirs to lose.  If they lose, then I think it’ll go to Tampa.  Unless Arizona beats Dallas on the road, but then it may come down to strength of victory.  I have to check the common opponents to see if it would qualify (if so, it would benefit the Buccaneers since I don’t see then losing to Carolina at all, but Tampa lost to the Rams).  Arizona could surpass Tampa in terms of SOV (strength of victory) since the latter’s remaining opponents are flat out awful.  Arizona still has Indy (which could be a loss come to think of it) and Dallas.  Those are pretty good teams with decent records, but the Cards have Detroit which would alter any decent chance they have of pull ahead of Tampa Bay.

At the end of the day, I think Tampa wins out (though New Orleans has had their number in non-playoff games), Green Bay might win out, but Arizona might not with a couple tough games against the Cowboys and Colts.  Might split those two but still a lot to be determined

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Wow, covid is tearing through the NFL right now. It is like over 40 players right now or close to it.

Sounds like it’s worse now than it has been this entire time of COVID.  It got OBJ, apparently within the last 24 hours.

Query - is there any particular reason why the NFL can’t boot Daniel Snyder’s terrible ass right the fuck out?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Query - is there any particular reason why the NFL can’t boot Daniel Snyder’s terrible ass right the fuck out?

Takes a vote of 24 other RICH WHITE OWNERS to boot him.   They don't want to set the precedent of booting someone for fear they will be booted next.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Takes a vote of 24 other RICH WHITE OWNERS to boot him.   They don't want to set the precedent of booting someone for fear they will be booted next.   

They forced Jerry Richardson of the Panthers to sell. So there is a precedent.

Although I agree its not likely with Snyder. I think the big difference is that, unlike Richardson, none of the allegations of abuse are directed at him.

He just has a history of working to cover up the shitty behavior of those who work for him.

• Love 2

It's also possible that Snyder knows more about other owners/the NFL.  Richardson might not have been prepared in that way.  There are people who are casually awful and then there are those who work hard at it. I think Snyder is the latter.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Sounds like it’s worse now than it has been this entire time of COVID.  It got OBJ, apparently within the last 24 hours.

The Rams already had a few out so it's definitely going around that locker room. I wonder whether or not masks will be implemented for playoffs.  I know if I were a coach, I would. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, xaxat said:

They forced Jerry Richardson of the Panthers to sell. So there is a precedent.

Although I agree its not likely with Snyder. I think the big difference is that, unlike Richardson, none of the allegations of abuse are directed at him.

He just has a history of working to cover up the shitty behavior of those who work for him.

Vote was never taken on Richardson.  He voluntarily agreed to sell before they could pressure him or vote.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

One of the Paralympians who was recognized during the SNF game at Lambeau is a friend of mine.  He didn't tell anyone about this - spit takes across Wisconsin as suddenly he was on the screen.  Hey, I know that guy!  I've held that gold medal!  So very cool for him.

I think COVID could have the same type of impact on the playoffs this season that a devastating injury to a star QB could have - leaving years and years of what ifs.  (Do you agree Bengals fans?)  Just imagine a team going into the playoffs with home field advantage, a productive offense, strong defense, and difference makers on special teams, only to have 8 or 10 players test positive.  

• Love 7

That's concerning for Stefanski, especially if you factor in the booster; it's his second time in less than a year.  TBH, throughout the league, and all of sports, and all of life, this pandemic, the part we're in, is concerning, period.

• Love 2

It sounds like the OC Darrell Bevel is taking over as interim coach.

I'm curious if this is the shortest tenure for a head coach that wasn't a mid-season replacement.

And yet, I'm surprised he made it this far considering everything that has come out about this guy.  I guess literally kicking your kicker was a bridge too far for the team.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3