Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I break wildcard weekend into:

Teams I'd like to see win, so they probably won't:

Bengals  [because they are in my team's division and I'd like them to get it out of their system so the Ravens can win next year.  and I don't hate them)

Eagles

49ers  (because they are playing the Cowboys)

Teams I'd like to see win, and they might:

Chiefs  (because they are playing the Steelers)

Bills

Teams I'd like to see lose, and they might:

Patriots

Teams I want to lose, but will probably win:

Cowboys

Buccaneers

Teams I want to lose, but are worried that will win, even though they shouldn't:

Steelers

Teams that I'm fine with either winning or losing:

Raiders 

Cardinals

Rams (maybe want the Rams to win a little more than the Cardinals)

I'm not going to be too upset with any result, except the Steelers winning.  Maybe the Cowboys winning, but I've already resolved myself into thinking they'll win this round, at least.

• Love 1

Naturally, the Raiders started their streak 31 years ago.

Plus, in their last win, they defeated Houston, who (the city) is still without a Conference Finals appearance.  The team they turned into is the Top Seed.  A former division rival that doesn't have to worry about the Ravens knocking them off, but might have to worry about another former division rival if Kansas City & Buffalo both win.

Johann, the Steelers are not winning.  You have nothing to worry about haha!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

By halftime I hope someone gets into Drew Brees’s ear and reminds him that it’s pronounced Bengal, not Bangle.

I think a good 50% of the people paid very well to talk about football pronounce Bengals as "bangles" and Jaguars as "jagwires".

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think a good 50% of the people paid very well to talk about football pronounce Bengals as "bangles" and Jaguars as "jagwires".

"Jagwire" drives me completely up the wall.

• Love 4

That’s not so bad, it’s the fancy British way to say it.  Works perfectly for when the team moves to London.

Mike Tirico - “stop me if you’ve heard this before, there’s a flag on the play.”  Snerk.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Now that I can draw breath again, I want to thank Germaine Pratt for that wonderfully timed interception.  Also:

Dear Joe Burrow,

I love you, and I will be your sex slave.

Love,

NUguy514, a long-suffering Bengals fan

Edited by NUguy514
  • LOL 7

WOW.

Honestly either team winning would have been okay.   Joe Burrow is such a nice young man.  But the Raiders had to deal with so much this year.   (why does Carr always look like he is plotting world domination from his lair under a volcano?).   I hope the interim coach becomes the permanent coach.   He earned it.   When Carr came to the sidelines after throwing that interception, you could see the coach saying "Hey good game, it happens."   Not yelling at him, but letting him know that bad things happen in games but its not the end of the world.

• Love 7

I was rooting for the Raiders to pull it out in the end, but good for long-suffering Cincinnati fans finally having something to smile about in the post-season.

But, yeah, totally unacceptable to have those kind of officiating errors in a playoff game.

• Love 5

I'll admit, I sorta would've laughed had the Bengals blown it.  However, it doesn't change the fact that the officiating was a total dumpster fire.  To be fair, I guess, these crews do not work together.  Instead of getting the same crew, they split up certain crews for the playoffs.  Not worth it.

I still hold my opinion that Cincy will be good for years to come.  However, whether that's in spite of Zac Taylor or because of him has yet to be determined.  Ditto Mr. Brown.  Had they blown this game, and Vegas won, the cause for concern would've been there.  However, this Cincinnati team probably ends that drought before the team splits.  Barring injury, they will have to deal with a ton of decent teams next year (including road games against Dallas, Belichick, Brady, and a complete Ravens team).  If the Browns rebound, it'll be interesting.

Anyway, the previous paragraph should've been held off for when & if they're booted next week.  Hopefully they won't lose in the Title Game if they get there.  I think that's unprecedented (like it is for New York)

While Vegas got hosed, early on they missed a lot, and dropped several passes.  They have to be on point due to the competition and the officials

Either team winning would have been fine.  Thank Goodell we started playoff weekend with a good game, and not a blowout.

Watching Mac Jones scramble is like if a suitcase took off running down the field.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I was hoping Bengals would win. Now I hope Buffalo wins. Their entrance onto the field was cool. Vikings should get Josh Allen when he is a free agent.

I'm glad Bill's have two touchdowns but I want Diggs to get a touchdown.

Bills are driving.  Up 20-0.  As long as Buffalo doesn't get into the EZ, get a successful 2-pointer, and New England exit the first half with points aka a FG...Buffalo has the Pats right where they want them.  Otherwise, the opposite is the case

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Either team winning would have been fine.  Thank Goodell we started playoff weekend with a good game, and not a blowout.

Watching Mac Jones scramble is like if a suitcase took off running down the field.

I can see it, like the suitcase is tipped vertically rolling down the field on its wheels.

15 minutes ago, Carey said:

Bills are driving.  Up 20-0.  As long as Buffalo doesn't get into the EZ, get a successful 2-pointer, and New England exit the first half with points aka a FG...Buffalo has the Pats right where they want them.  Otherwise, the opposite is the case

They have 6 seconds to make a field goal.

Rats! He made it.

Edited by Lamb18
8 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, that was decisive.

Barely decisive.  Don't take my word for it!

1 hour ago, twoods said:

I can breathe easier now. Yay Bills! Too bad they won’t get past either the Chiefs or Titans but I will enjoy them beating the shit out of the Patriots.

Not sure I'd pick the Bills over the Chiefs either.  However, they crushed them at Arrowhead this very season.  They can do it again.  Kansas City is dealing with some injures to key people.  Other than that, they are a much better team than what Buffalo faced this year.

As for Tennessee? Buffalo's ride would end there.  The thing is that the Bills might not have to worry about the Titans at all.  The Number One seed might end up getting the Ultra awesome version of the Cincinnati Bengals, but unless Pittsburgh pulls the upset, they'll have to travel West and win there before looking ahead to a game that's no guarantee

I generally have not one shit to give about the Bills, but even with Brady removed from my trifecta of Patriots hatred, seeing Kraft and Belichick lose in such spectacular fashion makes me happy.

• Love 7

I really despise the Patriots and am bored to death by blowouts but something about the Bills killing the Patriots made me watch every minute. Part of it was that I was glad it wasn't the Vikings(again). So, I can live with that. As long as the Bucs get beaten, I don't care who I see in the Super Bowl.

• Love 1

I was actually bummed it was a blowout.

I have residual affection for Belichick due to his time with the Giants, and the absence from that team of one Tommy Fucking Brady has made my Patriots hatred virtually non-existent.

However, as my mom is a Bills fan, the outcome was fine.  As far as the AFC there is only one vomit-inducing team for me, and in the NFC there are two and a half.

• Love 1

the best part was the bills running up the score on the Patriots.   How many times has Belichek done that when a game was safely in hand?   

Mac Jones is a ROOKIE.   Yet made the playoffs.   The Pats aren't going to push overs in the future.   

On to TODAY.   It's going to be icky outside.   I told my hubby I want to fly my new flag because when I fly it the Cowboys score 50 but I don't want it to get snowed on and all iced up.   Hubby looked at me and said "It's a FLAG dear."   So it will be flying.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

One more thing about last night's game (that I tried to get in before the post above mind):

Tom Brady as the Pats QB was the only thing that was missing with the Bills blowout.  However, I hardly think the score is 47-17 in Buffalo's favor with TB12.  To be fair, Brady has had his share of games where he's looked awful, but most of them occurred in the regular season.

In terms of the postseason, I think the only game Brady & the team looked close to as awful as the team & Mac Jones was against the Ravens in Tom's first season back from injury.  Other than that, whenever Brady was put in his place, the Pats defense helped keep the team in the game (2015 AFC Title Game).  Finally, whenever the opposing offense rolled, Brady nearly matched it (Super Bowl LII).

Buffalo still wins, and likely comfortably even if Tom was still playing for New England.  However, it's likely a score of 30-37 or something or 24-31.

Mac is a rookie.  Sure people like Flacco, Russell, Ben, Sanchez had better success (and against great teams).  However, I hardly think people are saying so long to New England & would drop them to 4th in the AFC East.  What helps is Miami said "no thanks" to improvement, so they'll go back to getting smoked again, maybe even by New York.  Way too early to forecast what's next for the Patriots, I agree with that thought

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

On to TODAY.   It's going to be icky outside.   I told my hubby I want to fly my new flag because when I fly it the Cowboys score 50 but I don't want it to get snowed on and all iced up.   Hubby looked at me and said "It's a FLAG dear."   So it will be flying.  

That flag is going to make a very nice handkerchief when the Cowboys lose today. I want their season to be over with by 8pm today. It'll make watching Undisputed & First Take tolerable to watch tomorrow morning. Plus, I need a reason to be happy today since I don't think the Eagles are going to get the job done against the Bucs. I could be wrong about that, though (hopefully).

As far as the AFC there is only one vomit-inducing team for me, and in the NFC there are two and a half.

I know that the vomit-inducing teams in the NFC are the Cowboys & Bucs. Can we put the Rams in that category? Sean McVay really angers me deeply & I find him very repulsive. He is not as smart or classy as thinks he is. Plus, I don't want OBJ in the Super Bowl & having to put up with his nonsense & "redemption" story during the 2 week Super Bowl hype. There is no good reason to even root for the Rams to get to the Super Bowl.

Edited by Magog

Next season I'd expect and hope Mac to be better. I like the line and the backs, and as always they need an upgrade at receiver. 

The defense is what we need to watch regarding the Patriots.  McCourty and Hightower are old and have to be replaced soon. Returnees Collins and Van Noy aren't the future. JC Jackson is a FA, and the other CB spot isn't great. There isn't an answer for Josh Allen on the team right now, that's for sure.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Magog said:

Can we put the Rams in that category?

The Rams are the half.  I’ve hated them for over 30 years but sometimes I don’t hate them quite as much, depending who they are playing.

• Love 2

Belichick Says It's Accurate He's Back In 2022

FWIW, Belichick exits on his own terms

Settling with Tampa, Dallas, and Arizona for the win.  Not easy choices at all for this NFC slate.  Especially the Cowboys/Niners game on the 28th anniversary of that classic matchup of the final telecast during the CBS NFC Era.  If those play out, I think we'll see Cowboys at Bucs then Bengals at Titans on Saturday ;  Bills at Chiefs then Cards at Packers on Sunday

Can't go low, and Derek Barnett has a history of those roughing the passer penalties, but that flag could've been picked up.  More toward the hip area (as mentioned by Pereira and Aikman) and not the knee or whatever.  Looked like someone on the Bucs O-line caused the collision and threw Barnett into Brady, and Derek tried to avoid it which may have ended up going from a clear hit to a graze.

Now, if Hurts get whacked in a worse hit but it's not flagged in this same game, then that is a problem

I’m sure there are going to be another two to three bullshit roughing the passer penalties. The NFL has to protect their QB.

How many times do we have to see Brady throw a hissy fit for his second and third string WRs not catching passes? What an ass.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

Well, if you're Cincinnati and Buffalo, a Brady and the Bucs win could be great news especially if their Super Bowl history is reborn this season.  Dallas and San Francisco, who are both doing well & are still alive in the playoffs, would have to travel to Tampa to get to SoFi (assuming their lucky enough to beat Green Bay in case the Packers game precedes it).

Anyway, Philly is super horrible, and while I've come to a point where I'm okay with Brady (plus I actually admire Tampa), a win would just be meh for me

I yelled in frustration when the camera showed Brady “take your veneers and your Botox and just leave.  We can’t miss you if you won’t fucking goooooo” and the hubs looks over and said “would you really miss him if he left” and without hesitation I said “FUCK no”.

I USED to like Bruce Arians.  Now I root for him to have eternal disappointment.

• Love 8