Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Carey said:

Ditto. I don't remember the Chargers fans being all that, especially with all of their blackouts over the years. I don't think my team is ever leaving, but I would never turn on my team if they ended up relocating. It would be like rooting against my team if I left the area where they play

If they're all that upset, they need to take a page out if the Browns protest playbook (not the football playbook they've been running since coming back, tho).

That's how a city handles it's beloved teams moving.  Even when they suck.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Yep...this is me too.  My worse fear is a Packers-Patriots Superbowl.

And that's probably what we are going to get. Much like Seahawks-Patriots I barely watched it and was both happy and sad at that last interception. Would probably go for the Packers because I could never root for the Patriots, but watching that douchebag Rodgers win another SB would be unpalatable. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Is there a particular reason that the Chiefs have the old AFL logo on their shirts?

I haven't seen anything specific, but today is the 50th anniversary of what would become know as Super Bowl I, where the Chiefs represented the AFL, so it may be related to that.  Interestingly enough, their opponent in that game were the Packers, who also played today, although I didn't see where they had any special logos on their uniforms.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

The officiating in this game sucks too. Really, THESE are the "All-Star" crews of the NFL? League ineptitude strikes again.

It's easy with the view we have to see everything- I'm sure it's different out on the field and every single hold and PI won't get called. I miss the days when I just watched football and didn't have to hear every single call complained about. No game is ever officiated perfectly. 

I think ever since the replay challenges started (both coaches and officials), there has been more scrutiny with the calls since everything is expected to be called or not called. I would never want to be an official- seems like a thankless job. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

I am amazed at how often the officials get the call right - when you see it live and you think no way was the catch made, no way was he in bounds, obviously that was a fumble, etc.  And then the replay shows they got it right.  I become Emily Litella - "never mind."  But it does irk me that they can get those close calls right, and then the obvious call goes right over their heads.  Packer fans can point to the Rice fumble, the hit to the head of Rodgers in OT vs. the Cardinals in 2009, the Fail Mary. 

But I can't be too irked because the Packers won today,  I wonder though if the Cowboys are in the same position the Packers were in after the 2009 season, coming on strong, and then a heartbreaker of a loss in the playoffs.  The Packers won the Super Bowl the next year. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

The officiating in this game sucks too. Really, THESE are the "All-Star" crews of the NFL? League ineptitude strikes again.

These aren't the best crews. The NFL grades each official in each crew, and the highest scoring individuals get to work the playoffs, forming ref crews that have never worked together before.

Mike Pereira explains it better here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/article124209329.html

• Love 1

I'll be honest, as a Packer's fan, I cannot believe we won that game. We might have had a nice first half but the second half was full of ugly plays and miscommunications all over the place.

Crosby though, he was all gold tonight. You just keep kicking those footballs man. You are a beast!

The Cowboys are going to be sick watching the film, when they think of all the players the Packers were without - Sam Shields, Quinton Rollins, Jordy Nelson, Eddie Lacy, James Starks, and for most of the game, Morgan Burnett.  Not to mention a gimpy David Bakhtiari, Clay Matthews playing with one healthy shoulder, Nick Perry with the club on his hand.  

5 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

Is Aaron Rodgers really the only QB who tries to draw a penalty on the opposing team while they're substituting?  It sure seems like it.  I feel like everybody else considers it kind of bushleague/unsportsmanlike and dont do it...yet I havent heard anyone really say anything negatively about it.  Its always..."oh look how clever Rodgers is for doing this all the freaking time". Im a Giants fan and im hate all things Dallas....but I hate Aaron bleeping Rodgers soo freaking much.  Hoping those 2 rookies can knock him out of the playoffs. 

Brady and Manning (Peyton) do and would do it all the time as well. 

• Love 2

Dallas-Green Bay was a classic.  3 scores in the last two minutes, even if they were FGs.  It wasn't a hail mary but still an amazing play by Rodgers to put them in FG range.  And amazing catch.

ANd I don't strongly like or dislike either team. 

What the hell is Kelce doing?

And the refs are really being tight with the play clock.  Ive seen games where the qb has called for the ball seemingly a full second AFTER the clock hits zero and they not call delay of game.  I think they've already called 2 or 3 delay of games on Smith.

55 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

That patch honors the team's founder, Lamar Hunt, and in 2008 was made a permanent part of the Chief's uniform, it's not something special for today's game only.

Thanks; that's exactly what I was referring to. Although it would have been neat to see the Packers wearing the really old NFL logo with the stripes.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Dallas-Green Bay was a classic.  3 scores in the last two minutes, even if they were FGs.  It wasn't a hail mary but still an amazing play by Rodgers to put them in FG range.  And amazing catch.

ANd I don't strongly like or dislike either team. 

The game started out rough for Dallas but it ended up being exciting in the second half. I think this was the best game we have had in the playoffs this year. Dallas has been apart of some very entertaining games this year. Including tonight's game and the one against Pittsburg.

I have really enjoyed watching them this year and look forward to watching them next year. Their schedule is going to be much harder but they have some really good matchups next year.

16 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

No TDs for Pitt and they still won? Didn't see that coming. I expect more of an offensive show in Foxboro next week.

I think Atlanta would've rather traveled to Dallas than see Green Bay coming, they're red hot.

I wonder how Pittsburg will fare next week against the Patriots. Chris Boswell has done a good job for them tonight and this season. But they definitely need to put up TDs next week going against Tom Brady and the Patriots. I think that the Chiefs had the best defense of the teams left in the playoffs. Maybe Pitt will be able to put up more points against the Patriots next week.

Also, I think that the Falcons/Packers is going to be another shootout type of game. I think that both defenses are okay but not very strong. I think it's really going to come down to who has the bigger game offensively. I think that will be a high scoring game (like at least 30+ points from each team.)

Edited by Jx223

Atlanta is in trouble if Julio Jones is hurt.

Al Michaels constantly referring to Roethlisberger, Bell and Brown as the Killer B's made me want to hit him.  First, no, first names don't count and second, the Killer B's played baseball in Houston.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Andy Reid was so close yet again. Good for the Chiefs D to hold them to all those field goals but too bad their offense didn't do anything until the end of the game. Now people will complain about the refs calling penalties when they were correct- you can't win at all.

10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Al Michaels constantly referring to Roethlisberger, Bell and Brown as the Killer B's made me want to hit him.  

The first time he said that, I said "No, you idiot, Roethlisberger starts with an R, how is he a Killer B?"

Since 2001 and including this year, the AFC has been represented in the Super Bowl by either Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger every year except Gannon and Flacco who made it once each.  Parity my ass.

The NFC, conversely, except for this year because it could be Ryan, has had (off the top of my head and in no discernible order) Manning twice, Wilson twice, Warner twice, McNabb, Newton, Brees, Rodgers, that guy in Carolina who is not Collins, Kaepernick, that guy in Chicago who is not Cutler, Brad Johnson, Hasselbeck and I'm missing one.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The NFC, conversely, except for this year because it could be Ryan, has had (off the top of my head and in no discernible order) Manning twice, Wilson twice, Warner twice, McNabb, Newton, Brees, Rodgers, that guy in Carolina who is not Collins, Kaepernick, that guy in Chicago who is not Cutler, Brad Johnson, Hasselbeck and I'm missing one.

Rex Grossman was the one for Chicago, right? Yeah, the NFC has been quite varied in the SB. AFC not so much.

Really want Matt Ryan and ATL to win it all now. It's time.

• Love 2

Thank you, crappy weather! The Steelers/Chiefs game was due to be shown on free cable here in the UK (i.e. without having to buy their sports package), but because it was delayed, they showed the Green Bay/Dallas game instead! What a classic. Well worth staying up till the small hours for. That tip-toe catch by Cook was amazing. I love it when it truly is a game of inches.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Al Michaels constantly referring to Roethlisberger, Bell and Brown as the Killer B's made me want to hit him.  First, no, first names don't count and second, the Killer B's played baseball in Houston.

Maybe he's trying to resurrect the Pittsburgh Killer Bees.  Remember pre-roids Bonds and Bonilla?  But yeah, adding Ben is a reach.  You know analysts just live for the next corny moniker.

Stephen A Smith has to be thrilled that the "Accident waiting to happen" has finally happened. He will definitely be on Cloud 9 on ESPN First Take today.

The only people on the Cowboys that I feel terrible for are Dak Prescott & Ezekiel Elliott. They showed some heart in that comeback. Other than that, it was a lot of fun seeing the Cowboys lose. I'm almost certain that if that was Tony Romo in that situation (being down 13 in the 2nd half in the Playoffs), he would of folded like the loser that he is.

I'm very happy that the Cowboys lost & Jerry Jones will have another season without being in the Super Bowl. Now we won't have to worry about him in the Super Bowl & trying to find a way to give Tony Romo credit for them getting there. This was probably Tony Romo's best & easy chance of getting a ring. Hopefully, Dak Prescott can keep it going next season so that he can make Tony Romo even more irrelevant.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

There was no "accident" the way Stephen A. always says there is this time.  The Cowboys didnt beat themselves in this case. Aaron Rodgers (and those WRs who were getting killed in the media earlier this season for never being open....funny how all of a sudden they are getting open) just made a few more plays.  

The Cowboys have nothing to hang their heads about....and I hope Stephen A can at least acknowledge that much...in the midst of all the gloating he's gonna do.

I'm actually more interested in hearing what Skip Bayless is gonna say. I like his and Shannon's show on FS1.  Shannon is funny as hell and is very insightful. They make a good pair....a better pair than Stephen A. and Max IMO (though I do like and watch them too).

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2017 at 3:05 PM, Carey said:

I would never turn on my team if they ended up relocating. It would be like rooting against my team if I left the area where they play

When the Hornets bolted for New Orleans, they were completely dead to me. If the Panthers ever left, they would be, too.

Cowboys fans have to feel great about the future, but .....  #1 seeds are really hard to earn. You need to take advantage when you've got it. They should be fine moving forward, but nothing is guaranteed (unless you're the Patriots).

I think the Steelers will give the Pats a better fight than KC would've. Should be fun to watch.

On 1/14/2017 at 3:05 PM, Carey said:

I don't think my team is ever leaving, but I would never turn on my team if they ended up relocating

I will never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever root for the Colts.  

Never

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

Antonio Brown livestreamed the locker room after the game, including a speech from Tomlin where he called the Patriots "assholes"

My favorite part of this is he was live broadcasting to social media Tomlin's instructions to the team to lay low on social media!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

Sigh, so one of the Steelers or Patriots will be in the Super Bowl. That's like choosing between which if your most hated enemies you want to slip and fall in dogshit. Oh well, I will just have to hold out for an NFC team winning it. Which will be much easier to do now that the Jerruh's Team are one and done.

Although Mike Tomlin calling the Patriots "assholes" is almost enough to sway me to think I'd prefer the Steelers to win but... it's the Steelers.

Regarding the Aaron Rodgers family stuff, all I can say is that if I had conservative christian fundie parents judging my lifestyle (whether it's his relationship with Olivia Munn or being gay, or anything else) then I'd sure as hell cut them out of my life as well. I'd be even more determined to do it once they started talking to newspapers about the estrangement.

Hope he goes out and beats the Falcons, then wins a second ring.

• Love 1

Well, damn! I was hoping the Cowboys would make it to the end. I was the passenger on a 9 hour car trip yesterday so I lived streamed the game on my phone and it was gripping! 

I hate the Steelers but I despise the Patriots. I pretty much don't care about any of the teams left so I guess I'm going to have to pull for Atlanta due to proximity. My parents plan to come over to watch the Super Bowl with us but I don't really even want to watch unless Atlanta is in it. Ok, maybe Green Bay too.

• Love 2

Danny you and I don't agree on very much, football-wise, but I got your back on that one.

Stephen A. is a professional, but he loathes the Cowboys it sounds like as much as I do, so if he wants to continue to rag on them and gives them no credit, I am all for it.  I'll line up to help.  

Jerry Jones did Tom Landry very dirty and I will never ever root for anything good to happen to that team, regardless how nice Dak is.  I give Zeke a side-eye anyways until he gets his personal life in order, IF he does, because he might very well be guilty.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Regarding the Aaron Rodgers family stuff, all I can say is that if I had conservative christian fundie parents judging my lifestyle (whether it's his relationship with Olivia Munn or being gay, or anything else) then I'd sure as hell cut them out of my life as well. I'd be even more determined to do it once they started talking to newspapers about the estrangement.

Yeah, whenever I hear about this sort of family drama, I always try to keep in mind there's two sides to every story. I'm not a huge fan of Olivia Munn, as most things I've heard about her aren't good, but I'm not the one dating her and neither are Aaron's parents so they need to chill. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

There was no "accident" the way Stephen A. always says there is this time.  The Cowboys didnt beat themselves in this case. Aaron Rodgers (and those WRs who were getting killed in the media earlier this season for never being open....funny how all of a sudden they are getting open) just made a few more plays.  

The Cowboys have nothing to hang their heads about....and I hope Stephen A can at least acknowledge that much...in the midst of all the gloating he's gonna do.

I'm actually more interested in hearing what Skip Bayless is gonna say. I like his and Shannon's show on FS1.  Shannon is funny as hell and is very insightful. They make a good pair....a better pair than Stephen A. and Max IMO (though I do like and watch them too).

He was calling them sorry and gloating over their loss but he did give Dak/Zeke/Dez credit for showing up and playing well. I wasn't  looking forward to seeing him gloating over the loss because he hates them and their fans so much that he tends to overexaggerate when it comes to them (like when they play well and have narrow losses). 

I find myself I liking Undisputed better than First Take too. I like Skip and Shannon together and think they make a better pair than Stephen A and Max. I like how low key/smooth Shannon can be and Max tends to talk a lot about numbers and things that aren't that interesting and try and connect them with sports. First Take took a hit when Skip left. 

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Hope he goes out and beats the Falcons, then wins a second ring.

From what I have seen/heard of Aaron's Rodgers family they seem like nice regular people. Of course I don't know him or his family but I wonder if he did let fame get to him to the point to where he decided to cut his family off. He has been accused by multiple people of being arrogant, above it all. Including former teammates.

One time his mom was asked about his love life and she laughed and said she didn't know anything about it. I don't think they really know anything about Olivia Munn, etc and not enough to "judge" him on it. I wonder if he cut his parents off because of his arrogance and he deep down he feels guilty about that. And that could be why he was struggling earlier on in the season. I believe a former teammate/someone who was apart of the Packer's organization alluded to this. Someone actually came out and said he was a "head case" over his family. They said he was "in the wrong" in how he was handling the situation with his family.

Edited by Jx223

Funny side note about Dallas and their bandwagon fans. Last night I left a comment on the NFL's Facebook page regarding the game and it was liked by a woman who's profile picture showed her and her husband wearing Cowboy's jerseys. This morning as I was scrolling through my notifications, I noticed her picture has now been changed to the Green Bay logo!!! Gotta love it, right? Where's the loyalty? Poor Dak is probably wondering why he had to pay for his Starbucks today. 

Edited by BitterApple
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, whenever I hear about this sort of family drama, I always try to keep in mind there's two sides to every story. I'm not a huge fan of Olivia Munn, as most things I've heard about her aren't good, but I'm not the one dating her and neither are Aaron's parents so they need to chill. 

I don't think his parents have ever said anything bad about Olivia Munn. I don't think they really know anything about her. I think that some people may just think his parents dislike her because he reportedly cut his family off around the time he started dating her. I actually think his family would treat her well if they met her/had the chance to meet her.

Heck, they were ultimately cool when their younger son was on a reality tv to find love with a stranger. If they were find with that, I don't see why they would have an issue with Aaron dating an actress. I don't think they are estranged because he decided to date Olivia and I don't think Olivia intentionally tried to cause a rift in that family. I think that Aaron may largely be responsible for the rift because of his attitude/personality. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

One time his mom was asked about his love life and she laughed and said she didn't know anything about it.

Neither does my mother, nor should they know. He's a grown man.