Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

During the first half the Texans tried to keep things interesting but in the end they didn't do enough offensively. If they had a better QB maybe they could win that game. I do give credit to their defense for trying to keep them in the game and for rattling Tom Brady.

The Patriots have definitely had an easier schedule/road in the playoffs than other teams. But I could see them having some trouble in some upcoming matchups if they face a team like the Chiefs with a tough defense and/or maybe whoever comes out of the NFC.

Edited by Jx223

Well, the Pats covered after all. Though it was a couple late scores over turnovers (and punting, which, really, was Houston punting to 2017).  After the Texans first TD, they made it a game.  Probably the best game of the postseason, but they hung in there. Hats off to them for that. Even with that bad drop by Fuller they were never going to win the game.  But that defense is going to be a force in the future, including next year (sadly).  If only they could figure out what to do with the QB.  Brock did fairly well BTW, except toward the end, but better than I thought. First INT was meh, second one was unforgivable, and the third was awful as well, but forgivable since Houston was forced to take a chance.  Basically this pick was the easiest pick of the year. At least it wasn't as bad for Houston as it was for Denver on this day five years ago!

4 hours ago, voiceover said:

Indeed; leave the poor guy alone.  This link has a fan video of the actual booing (the ESPN link just has an interview with Doc Rivers).

I liked that the onfield cameras after the game focused so much on Vince Wilfork.  If this was it, he's still had a hell of a career.

The Patriots O-line crumbled like a stale cookie in the AFC Championship game last year as well. I'm glad they got the win, but the game was definitely closer than the score indicated. I was having panic attacks by the end of the first half.

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I hate how injuries have really fucked over the postseason for some of these teams (Oakland and Seattle specifically).  Atlanta is so damned boring.

The team with one of the best offenses in NFL history is boring?

9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

The Patriots O-line crumbled like a stale cookie in the AFC Championship game last year as well. I'm glad they got the win, but the game was definitely closer than the score indicated. I was having panic attacks by the end of the first half.

To be fair to New England, they had Huey, Dewey, Louie, Chip & Dale for their O-line.  Despite that, they almost won. Really that game had two opportunities to take the 2015 AFCCG into overtime.  However, the criticism of the Patriots road to the Super Bowl being the easiest ever is legitimate. They have no control over who they play or whether a contender has key players that are hurt, but whatever.

As mentioned, New England needs to fix their issues, and I think they definitely will.  They did struggle against Denver and scored as many points as the previous meeting. Fortunately Denver's offense wasn't there.  I think they'll still survive next week without improvements but unless they get Atlanta in the Super Bowl, that could cost them big time.

Speaking of Atlanta, I think I get what mojoween is saying as it relates to the Falcons.  They do have that boring aspect toward them, but for me, I think it's more in the lines of someone new into the championship mix. We're so used to seeing Green Bay there, or Seattle, and Dallas is a throwback.  But their offense is probably more legit than Pittsburgh, and that's against better competition.  However, that's about it.  Atlanta winning was disappointing since they are likely to crumble next week, which would be a surprise as well as inexcusable (especially if their offense gets shut down).  At least with Seattle you had familiarity.  In the end, the officiating sucked big time, IMO

Yeah, I thought the officiating in last night's game was pretty poor (equally so for both teams). It wasn't that they got any huge calls egregiously wrong, but more because they kept calling questionable, tickey-tack little shit and missed what I thought were some more obvious calls. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Yeah, I thought the officiating in last night's game was pretty poor (equally so for both teams). It wasn't that they got any huge calls egregiously wrong, but more because they kept calling questionable, tickey-tack little shit and missed what I thought were some more obvious calls. 

I do have to give the officials credit for knowing some of the more obscure provisions, though. Who knew that "pulling a man off the pile" constituted unnecessary roughness? 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I do have to give the officials credit for knowing some of the more obscure provisions, though. Who knew that "pulling a man off the pile" constituted unnecessary roughness? 

You're kidding me.  Must've happened after I switched channels.  What does this even mean??

Sounds like something my 1st grade teacher used to do at recess.  Way to GO, Mrs Kern!

58 minutes ago, voiceover said:

You're kidding me.  Must've happened after I switched channels.  What does this even mean??

It was actually unsportsmanlike conduct; Eric Rowe literally picked one of the guys in the tackle pile up by his legs like he wanted to play wheelbarrow with him. That was the penalty that gave the Texans hope.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

Why do I miss all the good stuff.  I was in the kitchen for that Janet Jackson episode, too.

I remember seeing her and thinking "Is that what I think it is?  Nah.  Can't be."  Just imagine if there had been Twitter back then, heh.

Houston stayed in it awhile but just too many mistakes.  Osweiler did not play well, but that was expected. 

I could see KC beating NE.  They are balanced on offense and defense and alex smith is a better qb than Osweiler. 

Once again Brady plays pretty mediocre and gets a "playoff win".  He does that more often than most people realize or acknowledge.  His team was handed 14 points where he didn't have to do anything and one other drive he got a pass int call, completed once nice pass downfield and threw on easy short pass to the RB for the TD.  21 points for the team with minimal effort on his part. 

But he's great.  The best ever.   

Today's games should be much better.  Wasn't surprised Seattle got beat, they aren't the same team this year.  Whoever wins vs. GB and Dallas though I think beats Atlanta. 

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

It was actually unsportsmanlike conduct; Eric Rowe literally picked one of the guys in the tackle pile up by his legs like he wanted to play wheelbarrow with him. That was the penalty that gave the Texans hope.

Right, you can't grab an OPPOSING player off a pile like that.  Your own player its fine, but not an opposing player.  ANd he did it literally right in front of the ref

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Sigh.  This is my life now - FOX Deportes on the TV on mute with FOX Sports Now playing on the iPad so I can hear what is going on.

Fuck you Verizon and fuck you more FOX Syracuse.

I had to look it up... that sucks.  Can you get an antenna before next weekend if the argument is going to drag on?

Is Aaron Rodgers really the only QB who tries to draw a penalty on the opposing team while they're substituting?  It sure seems like it.  I feel like everybody else considers it kind of bushleague/unsportsmanlike and dont do it...yet I havent heard anyone really say anything negatively about it.  Its always..."oh look how clever Rodgers is for doing this all the freaking time". Im a Giants fan and im hate all things Dallas....but I hate Aaron bleeping Rodgers soo freaking much.  Hoping those 2 rookies can knock him out of the playoffs. 

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2

I hope Dallas stops racking up these costly penalties. If they don't then I am concerned Aaron Rodgers could have a field day against their defense. I don't want this game to get out of hand for Dallas early.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

The Dallas defense can't contain Aaron and his receivers. It's hurting the mood of the whole team, Dallas's offense looks deflated on the sideline. I had concerns about this game,especially when most analysts were picking Dallas and not giving enough credit to Aaron's receivers.

I also had a multiple dreams about the Packers winning including dreams about them beating the Giants and Cowboys. I felt uncertain about how the Cowboys would fare in this game. His receivers are pretty solid and they are doing a good job today so far.

I'm not sure what the Cowboys do at this point they can try and get into a shootout but they keep getting farther behind. The defense can't get to Rodgers.

6 minutes ago, twoods said:

That D looks terrible and the offense looks just as bad. I would have bet on the Packers in this game- no idea why people would think that Rodgers would lose against a rookie QB.

This is mainly on their defense IMO. The defense has been playing poorly and can't contain Aaron. Them letting him score on all these drives has deflated the whole team.It has caused the offense to look depressed on the sidelines. The defense needs to step it up and try and pressure Rodgers/get a turnover.

Though I do feel like many people (especially in the media) underestimated the Packers offense. They have pretty decent receivers who have stepped up this year, including when Jordy has been out/not scoring.

Edited by Jx223

Oh my god, why didn't he stay in the end zone?!

Up until then, I had really been enjoying my one-day stint as a vociferous Green Bay fan.  Come on, Packers, get your heads back in the game.

• Love 1

The Dallas D starts slow.   Gives me freaking heart attacks every game.   It could kill them because Rodgers will take advantage greatly.   And yeah, that rushing the play to get the 12 men on the field penalty is bush league.   He's just showing off that he can count to 12.   Someday karma will get him.   

2 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

Is Aaron Rodgers really the only QB who tries to draw a penalty on the opposing team while they're substituting?  It sure seems like it.  I feel like everybody else considers it kind of bushleague/unsportsmanlike and dont do it...yet I havent heard anyone really say anything negatively about it.  Its always..."oh look how clever Rodgers is for doing this all the freaking time". Im a Giants fan and im hate all things Dallas....but I hate Aaron bleeping Rodgers soo freaking much.  Hoping those 2 rookies can knock him out of the playoffs. 

I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning did it all the time -- and was equally praised for it.

Thank you, football gods!

That was a great game, even if I did have to root for Green Bay. 

Now I can watch the Super Bowl, even if the Patriots are in it.

Hoo boy, that kick -- I thought for sure that was going to hook left.

• Love 4

Aw man. At least Dak and Dez got the team back in it and the game ended up being excited in the second half. Dak and Zeke have played their hearts this whole year and I hope they will have more playoff runs in the future.

• Love 2

I should be heartbroken but I'm not.   I would have liked to not be one and done.   I would have liked to have the first rookie QB to start a Super Bowl.   But we lost because the Packers were better.   Not because the rookies screwed up.   Not because we beat ourselves (almost).   But just because at the end of the day, the Packers were the better team.   I can live with that.

Dallas has a great base to build on for the future.   I look forward to a lot more good games from them.   

2 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

God...that was sickening to watch on every possible level. 

Yeah, I am proud of Dak/Dez for trying to get the team back in it but I think the early struggles the team had in the game(especially on defense) came back to hurt them. Especially those penalties.

I guess will be rooting for Atlanta and whoever wins from the Chiefs/Steelers to make it to the Super Bowl. Maybe at least one of those teams will make it.

• Love 2

That game was intense! Totally makes up for the borefest last night.

Someone needs to take the Pats out next week!

I no longer have a horse in the race so I've just been rooting against Dallas/Pats. Now that Dallas is out, I'm OK with anyone else except Pats.

I kind of want KC vs Atlanta in the Superbowl. However, I will root for whomever can defeat the Pats.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I guess will be rooting for Atlanta and whoever wins from the Chiefs/Steelers to make it to the Super Bowl. Maybe at least one of those teams will make it.

Yep...this is me too.  My worse fear is a Packers-Patriots Superbowl.

• Love 4

That was such a game, I was so excited Dallas came back. Didn't have much hope with how it started.  Good job Cowboys, making it this far and what they did this year.

Really hope Atlanta wins next week.

• Love 1

YES!  THE KICK IS GOOOOOOOD!!!  I may not have a stroke or a heart attack; it was very much a possibility as I paced in my living room for the entire 4th quarter.  Just when you think, hmm, Aaron Rodgers is human after the INT, he makes that play at the end, with a beautiful catch by Cook.  And then the 2nd kick, after the timeout, just curved in.  If it had gone to OT, I would have been pacing and simultaneously taking slugs from a bottle of bourbon.  That is, if I wasn't flat on my back on the floor.  Aaron Rodgers has done something Brett Favre never could:  win a playoff game in Dallas.  As satisfying as it is to get a playoff win, getting it against Jerry Jones feels like two playoff wins! 

And now for the obligatory whining about the officials - what has to happen, guys, do you need the Dallas defenders to actually pull off Adams' jersey completely before you call holding?  Twice in the first half they missed blatant holding.  The Pack then got away with pass interference that was clearly a makeup call.  These "all-star" officiating crews in the playoffs are terrible. 

• Love 4