Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

I lived in the Bay Area, and had to suffer through 2 terrible NFL teams (except for the Harbaugh years).

I moved to L.A. a few months ago, and now I'm stuck with 2 terrible NFL teams.

It's all about the timing.

Bay Area teams won 7 of the 14 Super Bowls from Super Bowl XI - XXIV.  Even if you take out the 1 time the LA Raiders won, it's still 6 out of 14.

39 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

I lived in the Bay Area, and had to suffer through 2 terrible NFL teams (except for the Harbaugh years).

I moved to L.A. a few months ago, and now I'm stuck with 2 terrible NFL teams.

As someone who doesn't care about the Rams or Chargers, please, please, PLEASE stay where you are for a while! ;)

• Love 1

Ugh.  As a Chiefs fan/AFCWester, may I say that this whole move sucks giant donkey dicks.  Sorry, Charger fans.

Though I did like this tweet about the possible team re-name:

"If the Chargers are going to rebrand, they should change it to the Your Town Name Here Chargers"

6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I read an article that said that since the Rams moved to LA, the NFL's viewing numbers in the LA area have gone down.

This is why people in LA liked not having teams.   They could watch any games and weren't stuck with the home teams' games.   (blackouts don't matter as much anymore, that rule is no longer enforced).   But the OWNERS saw all those eyeballs on the NFL and thought $$$$ for A team, or maybe two.   Now that the actual viewers are stuck with teams they don't want to watch, they aren't watching.  

Good grief, the Chargers' temporary home is StubHub Center which seats a whopping 30,000.   They are actually trading down.   This is just a case of the NFL throwing a temper tantrum and then shooting itself in the foot.

• Love 3

A little over two years ago Jeff Fisher sent out for the coin toss the 6 players he drafted in return for the the RGIII pick in his game against the Redskins.  Now Fisher's been replaced by a 30 year old guy who was the Tight Ends coach for the Redskins at that time.  Great job, Jeff!

• Love 2

I honestly think that new stadiums deals should be agreements between the owner and the NFL. It shouldn't ever be forced onto the cities, which already support the teams through ticket sales, merchandising and advertising. 

The NFL is absurdly rich, as are some of the individual owners. If a particular owner can't afford to pay for his own stadium, then the NFL itself should step in and support him or her. After all, these owners only have their teams because the NFL agreed that they could. 

I can't believe the coercive agreements that teams have forced cities into, while holding over their heads the threat of upping sticks and going somewhere else. It's a crazy way of doing business. Isn't St. Louis still paying off the bonds that were taken out to build the Edward Jones Dome?

By all accounts, L.A. is too smart to want to fall for that crap. Again. Kroenke only got his plans approved because he's funding the thing himself. Yeah, they're getting tax breaks, but the stadium complex is not being paid for by the people of Los Angeles. And as for the Chargers, they're getting no perks whatsoever, because it seems like no one even wants them in L.A. except the owner who thinks it will make him richer.

But these two moves, plus the likely move of the Raiders to Las Vegas (another terrible idea, in my view) just make the NFL look bad. Why would people think about starting to follow a team, when recent evidence shows that they might not be around for very long? How do they expect to deal with cities in productively, when recent history shows they're more than happy to screw cities over for a bit of cash?

• Love 7

The universe hates me, because to live all these dreary years without an NFL team, only to finally be flooded with them -- and have them be the Rams and the Chargers?  That's cruel. 

(I wanted the Raiders back, even when they sucked.)

I can see myself becoming something of a Rams fan in time.  The Chargers, eh.  And hell to the no so long as that annoying twit Philip Rivers is behind center.  I can't get excited about a team if I'd spend the whole game yelling at my own QB to shut the hell up.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

So, LA football  is a race-to-the-finish-line with one d-bag owner moving his team from St. Louis to LA racing a second d-bag owner moving from San Diego to LA.  Prize:  LA fans, which care not a whit for football.  Congrats, LA, you now  have TWO d-bag owners.  Makes the days when that racist old fart owned the Clippers seem like Shangri-La.

• Love 3

Crimsongirl, thank you for being so succinct about what time got moved.   I swear I spent waaay too much time trying to figure out which time to change on my calendar because all the headlines I got were just what your link said.   Hey some of us need a little more info.

18 hours ago, stealinghome said:

As someone who doesn't care about the Rams or Chargers, please, please, PLEASE stay where you are for a while! ;)

My life trajectory is weird because I've spent most of my life near the Raiders....

I was born in Los Angeles in 1977.

In 1982, the Raiders moved to Los Angeles and played 6 miles from my home (I've never actually been inside the L.A. Memorial Coliseum but I've been outside of it a bunch of times).

In 1995, the Raiders moved back to Oakland.

In 1996, I entered UC Berkeley*, which is about 11 miles from the Oakland Coliseum.

In 2002, I actually moved to the City of Oakland, where I lived through 2016. (I also liked to bike to the area around the Raiders HQ, which is located in a beautiful part of Alameda known as "Bay Farm Island.")

So that's 33 seasons of my 39 years on Earth living near the Raiders. (I've yet to go to a Raiders game, though.)

-----

I moved to the city of Oakland just months before they got creamed in the Super Bowl. So they were terrible nearly the entire time I was there. Then I moved to Los Angeles over the summer. And what happens? The Raiders are good, but the Rams are terrible!

It's all my fault!

-----

*During my first semester at UC Berkeley, Steve Mariucci was in his first year as head coach and his offensive coordinator was Hue Jackson. At the end of that season, the 49ers hired him as their head coach. One of Mariucci's players was Tony Gonzalez, who yesterday orecounted how he had a roommate who was a vampire.

Edited by nowandlater
54 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

So, LA football  is a race-to-the-finish-line with one d-bag owner moving his team from St. Louis to LA racing a second d-bag owner moving from San Diego to LA.  Prize:  LA fans, which care not a whit for football.  Congrats, LA, you now  have TWO d-bag owners.  Makes the days when that racist old fart owned the Clippers seem like Shangri-La.

Okay, Stan Kroenke may be a D-bag to St. Louis fans, but at least he's paying for his billion-dollar stadium out of his own pockets, a development that will include apartments and stores to revitilize an entire area of Inglewood. Also, he's paying the cost of securing the coliseum. It sure beats having taxpayers footing the bill.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, nowandlater said:

Okay, Stan Kroenke may be a D-bag to St. Louis fans, but at least he's paying for his billion-dollar stadium out of his own pockets, a development that will include apartments and stores to revitilize an entire area of Inglewood. Also, he's paying the cost of securing the coliseum. It sure beats having taxpayers footing the bill.

How much of taxpayer money will go to police overtimes and rebuilding the streets and infrastructure around the new stadium?

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

How much of taxpayer money will go to police overtimes and rebuilding the streets and infrastructure around the new stadium?

Kroenke is paying for police already, so I expect he'll continue doing it at the new place.

But L.A. is a big-event town. Earlier this week, they had the FBI secure the Golden Globes.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-rams-stadium-security-20160913-snap-story.html

yVzz8zX.png

Yeah for now.   From an LA Times article regarding California overpaying for sports franchises:

" Inglewood will ultimately pay the project an estimated $60 million as a reimbursement for the development of roadwork, utilities and public parks on the site of the property."

So the city is still going to pay something.  I knew it was too good to be true that Kroenke would pay for it all himself.  

7 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

Eta: mojoween, do you still watch Mike and Mike in the Morning? What do you think about the splitting up of the Mikes? Lately I've preferred the Greeny & Booger McFarland/Golic & Adnan Virk pairings, but I think it's a horrible idea to break them up. 

Edited 7 hours ago by crimsongrl.

I completely agree.  I don't watch, the TV broadcast, I listen on my phone every day.  If Greeny gets his own show at 6 on ESPN, and Golic stays on the radio show at the same time with a new host, I'll stick with the radio show.

Sucks that they're splitting up Mike & Mike.  While money beats pretty much everything, and while nothing lasts forever, I think Greeny & Golic had about 9 good years left. Not great, but they definitely could have stayed together for over 25 years. I probably would not have cared too much if they had only been together for 5 years, but 17 years is incredible, and they are both relatively young.

Don't really think Golic is getting screwed here. If Greeny's show bombs then that would be devastating. Golic would be going nowhere; Greeny & Golic are actually close I think, but Golic not having to deal with Greeny being Greeny all the time would have to be a relief.  Besides, Golic is the type of person that won't tear up and/or lose sleep over change, especially in this business he's been apart of for nearly a quarter of a century

14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Yeah for now.   From an LA Times article regarding California overpaying for sports franchises:

" Inglewood will ultimately pay the project an estimated $60 million as a reimbursement for the development of roadwork, utilities and public parks on the site of the property."

So the city is still going to pay something.  I knew it was too good to be true that Kroenke would pay for it all himself.  

The thing with the Inglewood project, and one of the reasons that the NFL went gaga over it, was that the land there wasn't being used for anything much. From what I could tell, a parking lot and a load of wasteland, which was crazy in a city where property prices are already ridiculous. And it's been like that for years, because I know Al Davis had his eye on the Hollywood Park site way back in the early 90s.

So while I hate the idea of cities paying for stadiums, in this case there is a clear public good in terms of the general redevelopment of the area, and the multiple other uses the site will have. Hotels, a music venue, a multiplex cinema, restaurants etc. The city is going to pay for infrastructure around the site, but probably only in money that would need to be spent there anyway, at some point.

However, they're also getting the Chargers at no extra cost, as dubious a prize as that may be. According to that article, the Chargers wanted over $1billion in public money for their stadium in LA. Absurd. And I do think we have reached a critical point now, where cities will start saying no to teams more often. Especially NFL teams because, where are they going to threaten to go now, if they're not happy? Boise? Topeka?

As you said, this area was undeveloped for years, in an area desperate for development.   Hmmm, I wonder why?    I have to think this is going to be a boondoggle to make the Boston Big Dig look reasonable.

Heck it took at least 2 tries to get FAA permission to build at Inglewood.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:11 AM, mojoween said:

"City of Los Angeles eyeing move to get away from the Rams and Chargers."

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!

1st prize is a years' worth of tickets to Chargers games.

2nd prize is two years' worth.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

As you said, this area was undeveloped for years, in an area desperate for development.   Hmmm, I wonder why?    I have to think this is going to be a boondoggle to make the Boston Big Dig look reasonable.

Heck it took at least 2 tries to get FAA permission to build at Inglewood.

I'm thinking it was more likely that the land was just too expensive for developers to invest in, until the NFL came knocking with bottomless pockets and a plan to make themselves even richer. With that, the city of LA finally caved and accepted the (let's be honest) minimal costs of infrastructure contributions.

If this deal had any of those misused municipal bonds that cities have employed in the past to levy funds for stadium construction, then I'd agree that they were being ripped off. But for once, an owner is actually doing what I want them all to do, and footing the bill himself.

The infrastructure and tax breaks Kronke received aren't really out of line with what any developer would have received for a project that size. (e.g. a Wal Mart distribution center.)

I wonder how many owners are pissed that they can no longer use the "Maybe we'll move to LA!" stick when they try to get more public financing for their stadiums. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

I also don't feel too bad for the fans from SD for the Chargers moving.  They aren't moving that far away.  Its not like they can't follow them or see them anymore. 

Ditto. I don't remember the Chargers fans being all that, especially with all of their blackouts over the years. I don't think my team is ever leaving, but I would never turn on my team if they ended up relocating. It would be like rooting against my team if I left the area where they play

23 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

NFL pushes back Steelers-Chiefs start time, cites weather forecast

Moved from 1:05pm ET to 8:20pm ET

Eta: mojoween, do you still watch Mike and Mike in the Morning? What do you think about the splitting up of the Mikes? Lately I've preferred the Greeny & Booger McFarland/Golic & Adnan Virk pairings, but I think it's a horrible idea to break them up. 

Couldn't stop laughing at how Matt Hasselbeck tried to make the time change a big deal, but Charles, Randy, and Trent basically shot him down.  It wasn't like it wasn't a big surprise. Sure a 8-hour difference is that, but the fact is if Kansas City or Pittsburgh were to lose to the winner of the Texans and Patriots no one is blaming the fact that the game ended at midnight as opposed to four.  IMO, the only reason why the Chiefs and Steelers aren't playing in the late game is due to Packers/Cowboys (that game would definitely have had a 4-5 PM EST start

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The thing with the Inglewood project, and one of the reasons that the NFL went gaga over it, was that the land there wasn't being used for anything much. From what I could tell, a parking lot and a load of wasteland, which was crazy in a city where property prices are already ridiculous. And it's been like that for years, because I know Al Davis had his eye on the Hollywood Park site way back in the early 90s.

So while I hate the idea of cities paying for stadiums, in this case there is a clear public good in terms of the general redevelopment of the area, and the multiple other uses the site will have. Hotels, a music venue, a multiplex cinema, restaurants etc. The city is going to pay for infrastructure around the site, but probably only in money that would need to be spent there anyway, at some point.

However, they're also getting the Chargers at no extra cost, as dubious a prize as that may be. According to that article, the Chargers wanted over $1billion in public money for their stadium in LA. Absurd. And I do think we have reached a critical point now, where cities will start saying no to teams more often. Especially NFL teams because, where are they going to threaten to go now, if they're not happy? Boise? Topeka?

Yes, they're getting probably 20 NFL games a year and several Super Bowls over the next few years. A major college game may move there, too. Plus, many other events.

I'm watching the Seattle/Atlanta game right now.  The three reasons I hate Seattle are:  1) Richard Sherman (mouth almighty)  2) Russell Wilson (I don't care if you & Ciara waited until marriage to have sex. TMI) and 3) Pete Carroll chewing gum on the sidelines all the damn time.  I hope he bites his tongue.  

• Love 7

The reason the numbers in for El Lay football suck ass?

You have a stadium (coliseum) that never sells out - 100k plus tickets - It's a FUCKED up place (location/venue)

The El lay Coliseum Commission runs the place.

There are tons of other things to do in town - its not the only game in town.

Withing 50 miles you have......

2 nfl teams

2 pro hockey teams

2 basketball teams

2 baseball teams.

Not counting the college games/sports in the area, either?

And when all the sports go off at the same time, entertainment dollars are fought for tooth and nail.

-----

Just  rotate all the Cali teams around the state , If you can drive to a game, they are all pretty much the home fucking team?

24 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

Just  rotate all the Cali teams around the state , If you can drive to a game, they are all pretty much the home fucking team?

You have any idea how far it is from San Diego to San Francisco/Oakland and vice versa?

I'm thinking it was more likely that the land was just too expensive for developers to invest in, until the NFL came knocking with bottomless pockets and a plan to make themselves even richer. With that, the city of LA finally caved and accepted the (let's be honest) minimal costs of infrastructure contributions.

It's in Inglewood.

36 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

You have any idea how far it is from San Diego to San Francisco/Oakland and vice versa?

Yep, It's 5.........

Interstate 5, All the way up and down?

In the 80's and 90's - It was doable for the average fan. 

This Seattle game is really bumming me out; I'm going to have no one left to truly root for in the playoffs, and will just be in "anyone is better than the Cowboys or the Patriots" mode.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

One team I don't like down (wait, did I speak too soon?) three more to go. Though I doubt the others (Packers, Steelers and Pats) will lose. It was nice to watch the Seahawks defense throw hissy fits after getting torched.

5 hours from SD to the Bay Area? How fast do you go? More like 8 with stops and no traffic. 

Stupid LA fans booing some poor Chargers player- way to be classless, and I'm a Lakers fan who is saying this. It's not his fault that the dumb owner moved them to LA. 

Edited by twoods

I never said it was 5 hours.

I said it was Interstate 5.

I knew people who would fly up and down the state to attend games..

I'd much rather die on a plane full of Raider fans - I'm going to hell, anyway.

---------

Fans in Lost Angeles would boo their own mothers.

I had to.

My dad had already died.

That was a very good win for Atlanta. They were ready for this game. They were energized and played very well. Including their defense. One reason they are dangerous is because they can easily score 30+ points against an opponent. And if an opponent has a shaky defense they could be forced to try and get into a shootout with the Falcons. Their very potent offense could prove to be trouble for more teams during these playoffs.

Matt Ryan has also done a nice job of spreading the ball around and Alex Mack had a nice impact for them at center this season.

• Love 1

Yeah, that sucks. Boo the logo all you want, but don't boo the poor player who literally has no choice but to be along for the ride!

I'm surprised that the Seattle-Atlanta game was so lopsided. I thought it would be much more competitive, no matter the eventual winner.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, twoods said:

One team I don't like down (wait, did I speak too soon?) three more to go. Though I doubt the others (Packers, Steelers and Pats) will lose. It was nice to watch the Seahawks defense throw hissy fits after getting torched.

I think that the Steelers/Chiefs and Cowboys/Packers could go either way. I could see Pittsburg playing well against Kansas City but I could also see KC's defense containing them. I am a little concerned for the Cowboys especially since Aaron Rodgers has been playing so well.

The Cowboys are favored to win but I wonder if people are underestimating the Packers team. I think that some people in the media are not giving Aaron's receivers enough credit. I could see either the Packers or Cowboys winning though I hope the Cowboys win.

I would also really like it if the Texans upset the Patriots but I doubt that is going to happen,lol.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Yeah, that sucks. Boo the logo all you want, but don't boo the poor player who literally has no choice but to be along for the ride!

I'm surprised that the Seattle-Atlanta game was so lopsided. I thought it would be much more competitive, no matter the eventual winner.

The Rams and Chargers have been in town before. The Chargers back in the 60's and the Rams have been around the block twice.

Fans in town were burned the first time thru, that and the fact that Oakland/LA games against the Chargers were always rowdy.

The Chargers also limited the sales of tickets to their home games against the Raiders - too many fights.

jfc, this game made my blood pressure go through the roof. Talk about absolutely shooting yourself in the foot and making a game 500x harder on yourself than it needs to be. The Texans were dead in the water until the Pats let them back in it with stupid turnovers and stupider penalties. Pretty much the only positives I take away from this win for the Pats are 1) BB will absolutely murder them in practice this week, so there's no way they'll come out nearly as sloppy next week, and 2) the D can pick up the O (within reason) this season. Past that, um.

Brady didn't play well but the O-line needs to step up their game or he's going to get killed. They were a freaking sieve for large chunks of the night. The announcers are tongue bathing Dion Lewis right now, but I'm way more concerned about him putting the ball on the ground 3 (!) times...can't do that again, or we won't be going any farther. Also I thought they should have mixed-and-matched him and James White more--for a while they kept trying to force-feed Lewis and it kept not working, and then lo and behold, White comes in and catches a TD. Finally, Malcolm Mitchell better be back next week 'cause Michael Floyd was a menace tonight. Chris Hogan better recover quickly this week too.

Oh, special props to Logan Ryan--he's taken a lot of flack over the course of this season, but he stepped up tonight bigtime.

• Love 3