Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I know! And after a long, rambling clue, all they wanted was "anvil".

As soon as they showed the black smith's shed I said, "Anvil." I'm not good at Jeopardy because I'm too slow -- last week the answer was the name of a book I was reading at the time and I still didn't spit it out fast enough -- but I'm good a guessing what the question will be after seeing the category. I often get the question for Final Jeopardy during the commercial.

Margaret gives me hope for getting some of the answers in while she says, "Whaaat issssss....

• Love 7

When the one contestant answered somebody Hull for a football clue, the name that came to me was Bobby Hull, which was right. I have no idea where that came from. I thought Bobby Hull was a hockey player.

It was a hockey clue, not a football clue.  Bobby Hull is one of my few standard hockey answers: him, Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr, and only Bobby Hull fit the category.

Margaret seems to be one of those "love her or hate her" contestants. I'm leaning towards the latter right now, but may change my mind

I wanted to like her, but just can't with the slooooooow clue choosing and answering.  Although at least that didn't keep them from clearing the board both rounds.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

Bobby Hull brings the number of J! accepted hockey players to 4: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Hull. Once, I think they asked a question about Jean Beliveau, probably around the time he died in 2014, and once maybe asked about Maurice Richard, but I can't think of any other players they've named. 

• Love 1

I know I don't dislike Margaret, but I think I might be too irritated by her to like her. Even though they cleared both boards, and even though I have my own and generally love other people's southern accents, her way still just kind of got on my nerves. She did know that H2G2 clue though, so there's potential. And she obviously had a frigging fantastic game, even with that wimpy DD wager. She played like such a champ that I was surprised to look up at the end and see that Carter had $20K, which is impressive in its own way against Margaret's steamrolling.

Middle Lady and her lisp were adorable; too bad she never had a chance.

I thought FJ was really easy, but then I've always wanted to run across that narrow strip of Idaho. Didn't realize it was actually 46 miles wide though; I might have to walk it.

• Love 4

I will watch today's show (Friday) with the sound muted.  At least I can shout out the answers, yet not hear Margaret (and Alex).  What will she talk about in today's interview, now that she has covered cats and knitting??????

• Love 1

Margaret's slow speech pattern didn't really annoy me. I do wonder if she gives herself a haircut however. I know, that's not nice to say, but I did wonder.

• Love 4

I don't know what the hell the cluewriters were thinking, giving away FJ so easily. They could have easily omitted the "far away from New England" part and at least made the clue require a few seconds of thought. That lady who wrote "Michigan," what a facepalm. 

• Love 7

Bobby Hull brings the number of J! accepted hockey players to 4: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Hull. Once, I think they asked a question about Jean Beliveau, probably around the time he died in 2014, and once maybe asked about Maurice Richard, but I can't think of any other players they've named. 

I think Mario Lemieux might've shown up once.

Now I have several hockey stories at the bottom of this page - coincidence or conspiracy?

• Love 2

It was a hockey clue, not a football clue.  Bobby Hull is one of my few standard hockey answers: him, Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr, and only Bobby Hull fit the category.

Ohhh. I just looked at the clue again. I guess "Golden Jet" led me to the NY Jets. 

• Love 3

Margaret drove me nuuuts!   I wanted to reach down her throat and pull the words out.  Who speaks that slowly?   I was actively rooting against her, but to no avail. 

Also, when Alex first asked her what she does for fun I thought I was being funny and immediately said, She pets her cats!  Didn't the odd little stinker just have to go and say the exact same thing!    I told hubby I can't determine her age at all.  She has the demeanor of a 70 year old, but no wrinkles whatsoever.  So I'm stumped.  Perhaps she is 70 and has never seen a ray of sunshine.

Edited by Suzysite
  • Love 1

I freaking loved Margaret, and I usually hate contestants who speak slowly. She reminded me of my high school librarian, who was the first weird adult I'd ever met. I was a weird kid and knew other weird kids, but I didn't know you could be a weird adult. I hope she's around for a long time; her knowledge base seems solid, but a pop culture FJ could be her kryptonite.

I got FJ immediately and did really well throughout the game. I wonder if I do better when the contestants do better. There's a nice flow to the game, and it keeps me more focused.

You're almost as funny as Mon!

It's about time. Another board fight. Bring it on!!!

May the librarian get buried among the bios, lost among the love stories, and disappear between the dictionaries!

Suzy, I posted a sec after you, and am now LOL. Mon has more competition!

Edited by just prin

I agree, great game. Although I can't believe I blew deBergerac and Nicholas II. Wait...that doesn't sound right. I got those answers wrong and it annoys me.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 7

Alex was really excited that the game was so close.  And it was impressive that Andrew was able to come back so much in DJ.  Just goes to show - every single clue matters.

• Love 4

So glad McKinnie didn't win.  I'll take a slow-talking Margaret over anyone who starts with the highest value clue any day.  His reaction to losing wasn't great, either.

Overall, another really good game, though.  I don't particularly care for mysteries, and haven't read any of Grafton's books, but still thought FJ was pretty easy.

• Love 8

Hey Jeopardy -- Frankenstein was the name of the scientist, not the monster.  The monster did not have a name (or we were not told it), likely because of the belief that knowing someone's true name gives us power over them.

• Love 7

I was very tempted to pop in early and get spoiled for the winner just to see if McKinney won. Thank goodness Andrew did.

Even though for some reason I kept wanting to call him Rob the entire time.

Can't just be "Contemporary Authors," can it. And I've never read one of her books, but knew FJ instantly. It was a fun clue, but not very difficult, IMO.

• Love 3

Great game! Made even greater still because that obnoxious twit, McKinney, didn't win. Andrew's comeback was impressive. Congrats to him. Judging by Margaret's parents' ages, I'd say she's close to 70.

Were there any TS? If so, I didn't get any.

FJ was pretty easy.

• Love 5

I absolutely hated McKinnie from the get go.  He was Mr Cocky who had to go for the high dollar clues.  I laughed when he didn't get any of the daily doubles.  Thank you Andrew for keeping him from being champ.   It was a good game, though.  Impressive scores all around.  I'm sorry to see Margaret go, too bad she missed her DD.  But that was a great come back for Andrew! 

FJ was really easy (and I think they've had that clue before).

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 7

I'm not sure I've seen somebody who realized they just lost fall over and say "Ohhh." I mean, he had to know with that absurdly easy FJ clue all of them would get that and he was trailing going in. What a sore loser. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4

Great game! Made even greater still because that obnoxious twit, McKinney, didn't win. Andrew's comeback was impressive. Congrats to him. Judging by Margaret's parents' ages, I'd say she's close to 70.

FJ was pretty easy.

She seems like the offspring of people who married & had a child later in life. I'm going with PaulaO's guess of fifty-ish.

I was so proud of knowing Algoncquin the other day but didn't have a clue today. I never read fiction but when the name was revealed, I did a face palm.

• Love 2

Hey Jeopardy -- Frankenstein was the name of the scientist, not the monster.  The monster did not have a name (or we were not told it), likely because of the belief that knowing someone's true name gives us power over them.

I forgot to complain about that! I was sure Margaret was going to say "Frankenstein's Monster."

I don't particularly care for mysteries, and haven't read any of Grafton's books, but still thought FJ was pretty easy.

Jeopardy loves Sue Grafton! It's pretty much the only reason I know about her.

• Love 4

I was hoping for Margaret to win, but Andrew was an acceptable alternative. I disliked McKinnie from the first words out of his mouth, though. He seemed very cocky.

It took me a couple of seconds to get FJ, but those years of working in a library in high school and shelving all of Sue Grafton's books paid off :)

• Love 4

I forgot to complain about that! I was sure Margaret was going to say "Frankenstein's Monster."

Almost as much as they love Thoreau -- he was also a clue this episode .... again.

The Jeopardy round DD was really easy.

McKinnie was really on a roll there for a while, but then the wheels fell off. Sam Rayburn, Sam Houston -- they were separated at birth, weren't they </sarcasm>.  And Murmansk most certainly is on the Prime Meridian ? Come on McKinnie, they were talking latitude, not longitude.

Andrew rung in on exactly 2 clues in the Jeopardy round.  Two !!

However, the DJ round was a completely different story -- Andrew adds the most during the DJ round ($16,200) -- and only $400 separates 1st from 3rd going into FJ.

Was the contemporary authors category unavailable ?

FJ was really easy.  But AT was right -- look at those scores.

Surprisingly, Andrew is the new champ.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

What is it that made it easy? Because I had no idea.

A critic said that this bestselling author “Makes me wish there were more than 26 letters.”

Sue Grafton is known for her series of alphabetically titled detective novels. A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar,etc She's up to X now. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2

I remember two of them, one about Wisconsin being the state in which Paul Ryan and Heather Graham were born on the same day, which I actually thought was a pretty bad one for them to miss, and then Zac Brown was the answer to one of the clues in the Country music category.

I never get worked up board hopping and starting categories at the bottom, but I have to admit that I did get a perverse pleasure out of McKinnie failing to find that Daily Double he was obviously intent on getting.

Add me to the group that has never read any Grafton books (a male reader too), who found FJ to be a pretty easy get. The way she titles her books is pretty memorable.

• Love 4

I cheered and clapped like a seal when Andrew won. I always love a good comeback, and his was a great one. Plus he knows how to go through a category, and he's eaten fugu, which reminded me of a wonderful Simpsons episode. 

I didn't get FJ. I've heard of Sue Grafton and her alphabet series (although I thought they were thrillers, so I guess I haven't heard much), but her name just didn't come to mind, even though I could tell the answer was a series, and the clue emphasized letters. I'm telling myself it was the end of a long week. Maybe I should take it easy this weekend with a Grafton novel.

• Love 7

Yeah, I knew what author FJ was asking for, but I just couldn't remember her name.

Fantastic game with a fantastic outcome. A big come-from-behind win with a likable contestant is hard to beat for enjoyment.

• Love 6

I love her too.

She hasn't appeared as a clue quite as often as Amelia Earhart; but Sue Grafton has appeared on Jeopardy! as a contestant, which we cannot say about Amelia Earhart.

It really was an enjoyable game and I am glad Andrew won.  I did like Margaret but she was just so slow.  I didn't really see McKinnie's head flop as poor sportsmanship so much as "AARGH!! I lost by a dollar!!  A DOLLAR!!"

• Love 3

I love her too.

She hasn't appeared as a clue quite as often as Amelia Earhart; but Sue Grafton has appeared on Jeopardy! as a contestant, which we cannot say about Amelia Earhart.

It really was an enjoyable game and I am glad Andrew won.  I did like Margaret but she was just so slow.  I didn't really see McKinnie's head flop as poor sportsmanship so much as "AARGH!! I lost by a dollar!!  A DOLLAR!!"

I didn't like McKinnie, but I felt the same way about his reaction. I thought it was funny, actually.

I also am a Grafton fan. I've read all except for the newest one. But you only need to be a regular Jeopardy viewer to have known the answer. They ask about her a lot. Sadly, I don't remember her on Jeopardy, but I often skip the celebrity tournaments; I prefer SNL's version of them much more.

• Love 3

On camera we never saw him applaud. Also, although he probably did think, "AARGH!! I lost by a dollar!!  A DOLLAR!" he never smiled. He just looked pissed. I mean, I certainly understand that. He was a great player and knew a lot of stuff (though he got a couple of wrong answers/guesses), but unfortunately for him he was playing against two other good players. 

• Love 4

On camera we never saw him applaud. Also, although he probably did think, "AARGH!! I lost by a dollar!!  A DOLLAR!" he never smiled. He just looked pissed. I mean, I certainly understand that. He was a great player and knew a lot of stuff (though he got a couple of wrong answers/guesses), but unfortunately for him he was playing against two other good players. 

Yeah, him being upset about losing by only a dollar would be moot anyway, since he went in with less money than the leader, so all the leader really had to do was come up with the right answer and he'd win. That it was only a dollar is irrelevant, which he should have figured. Homeboy was just annoying.

• Love 4
She hasn't appeared as a clue quite as often as Amelia Earhart

Or the Crimean War. I never hear anything about the Crimean War except on Jeopardy. However, it has made me curious enough to research it, so I have benefited from my viewership. :-)

I had a senior moment with Sue Grafton -- I knew the answer, but all I could come up with was Kinsey Milhone, the name of her protagonist. Grrrrr.

• Love 6

She seems like the offspring of people who married & had a child later in life. I'm going with PaulaO's guess of fifty-ish.

I agree with the later in life birth, and the scenario I came up with was that she's part large family(possibly Catholic) like Stephen Colbert - the youngest of 11 siblings, who is in his early 50's. His mother was her 90's when she died a few years ago.

I loved that the game was so close - and was glad that if Margaret didn't win (boo), the middle guy got it. McKinnie was sharp, but his attitude turned me off.

• Love 3