Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I used to follow the Yankees religiously during those years and I DO NOT remember any mascot named Dandy! But I guessed Yankees because I know they don't have a mascot!

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2

On the game's last question, Kim was disappointed she didn't ring in because it turned out, she knew the answer. Why didn't she take the chance, she had nothing to lose. At the time, she had less than half the new champ's total; if she was wrong, it would still be a runaway, but if she was right, she would have had a shot at winning. It was the last question. She literally had nothing to lose. Maybe she couldn't think it through that fast.

Ken kind of reminded me of Richard Benjamin. 

• Love 3

On the game's last question, Kim was disappointed she didn't ring in because it turned out, she knew the answer. Why didn't she take the chance, she had nothing to lose. At the time, she had less than half the new champ's total; if she was wrong, it would still be a runaway, but if she was right, she would have had a shot at winning. It was the last question. She literally had nothing to lose. Maybe she couldn't think it through that fast.

Ken kind of reminded me of Richard Benjamin. 

I think that she didn't have enough time to fully think through the risks/benefits of ringing in before time ran out. I know I probably wouldn't have. That might be why she was so visibly annoyed with herself for not ringing in - because she realized too late.

• Love 4

LOL at Alex's comment at the end of the show about Ken's poor showing being due to him "not able to ring in" before the other two contestants, or something like that. It seemed like he was subtly throwing shade at Ken's hideous buzzer-mashing technique. I was SO GLAD to see that Ricky had made it a runaway, just because it ensured that Ken would be one-and-done.

• Love 2
(edited)

Mon, do you do standup right after J's over?

No, Prin, fortunately for the comedy-club crowd, I don't.

Jeopardy! just brings out the Henny Youngman in me, for some strange reason.  Maybe I'm using humor as an outlet because I didn't qualify for the Prometheus Society.  I'll try to dial it back.

Oops, I meant to include this link about Dandy the Yankee mascot.  I had only a vague memory of it.  I think I remember the incident with Lou Piniella chasing the chicken in a rage.  Here's the story:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703389004575304961535825960

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 6

Well no wonder I don't remember him:

The team did little to no promotion for Dandy and barred him from being anywhere near the field during games, effectively banishing him to the far reaches of Yankee Stadium.

It was sort of un-Yankee-like to have a big mascot running around,"

and

Mr. Ford's job became even more challenging after Mr. Munson died in a plane crash on August 2, mere days after the mascot made his first appearance. In the wake of that tragedy, Dandy took some time off. "It wasn't the right time to have a mascot who looked like Thurman Munson," Mr. Ford said.

• Love 3

Man, I had a crappy game Friday night.  Either I answered without reading the clue all the way through, misunderstood what the clue was actually asking, or had brain farts about things I should've known.  I did get FJ, though, primarily because the Yankees were pretty much the only Major League team I could think of who might not have a mascot.

• Love 1

I got cocaine, Japan (missed DD) and Queen Victoria.

Cocaine seemed so obvious, but maybe the contestants thought it was too obvious.  I was surprised that no one answered cocaine after the champ had been told that cola was wrong.

• Love 2

Yes, you're right. I still have it on my DVR. The clue was "Chemically, this stimulant is the principal alkaloid of coca leaves." Also, Alex didn't hesitate or anything when he said "No" to Ken's answer of caffeine.

• Love 2

Dag Hammarskjold is rolling over in his grave  As are Daryl Hall and David Halberstam and Dashiell Hammett.  Caged bird singing?  Lady sings the blues?  I didn't think these were so hard.

On the other hand, I had a brain cramp in FJ and said Minions.  So who am I to talk?

• Love 3

That was Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates ?  Really ? The photo did not help and the clue just made it even more confusing (something about right place and right time -- maybe it would have helped if he was 'out of touch' and 'out of time').  Who writes these clues ?

U.N. secretaries with the initials 'D.H.' -- how was that a TS ?

I hadn't seen Peanuts or Minions, so I went with Minions, but the trombone portion of the clue should have pushed me towards Peanuts.  D'oh !!

• Love 5

Lots of TS's today and I did pretty well on them:  Dag Hammarskjold, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Lady Sings the Blues, Dashiell Hammett, The Robe, Baba Loo.

I did get FJ, mostly because I know the adults don't use words in Peanuts, just a mwah mwah sound. 

I liked all the contestants today but I think I liked Ricky best so I'm glad he won.

• Love 4

I couldn't believe they missed "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and "Lady Sings The Blues".  I also got wordplay, "A Bell For Adano" and Babalu, as well as Dashiell Hammett and Dag Hammarskjold.

I admit, it took me a second for FJ.  I got it just before time ran out -- wouldn't have had enough time to write it down.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 5

Congrats to Ricky again. I liked Thaddeus, too. But I'm so glad that so Catherine didn't so win. How many times can a person start every sentence with "so" during their interview? Very annoying.

I couldn't believe the number of TS today. I got Darryl Hall (he hasn't aged well), Dag Hammarskjold, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings", "Lady Sings the Blues", "The Robe", babbaloo and Utah. I could have kicked myself because some friends were just discussing A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

I was clueless on FJ. I don't go to the movies and tend to not pay any attention to animated ones.

• Love 4

U.N. secretaries with the initials 'D.H.'

Oh, I would have known who they wanted.....I just would have been afraid to try to pronounce it!  Sorry, old Dag is in my reading vocabulary but not necessarily my speaking vocabulary.

I'm thinking, "Hammer-SKOLD?  Hammer-SHKOLD?"  Alex said "Hammer - SHOLD" which I would not have thought of 'cause, you know, that pesky K.

• Love 5

That was painful - so many TS (that were easy). And such an easy FJ that only one got (I think - I zoned out for a second - did the woman miss it also?)

No, she got it right; the champ was the only one who missed it.

I was clueless on FJ. I don't go to the movies and tend to not pay any attention to animated ones.

I don't follow a lot of the animated movies, but I remembered "Peanuts" and the waah-waah adult voices from the TV specials. 

Kind of a sad game with all those TS's. These didn't seem to be contestants that read much, despite two of them being in education. (Catherine was introduced as an "informal educator"--what in the world is that?) I was rooting for Thaddeus the Latin teacher, being one myself. I was thankful that Alex didn't fall back on the "Why study Latin?" or "Does anyone still study Latin?" questions he usually asks. Nice surprise that Thaddeus's travel story revolved around Machu Picchu and not the ancient Mediterranean.

Oh, I would have known who they wanted.....I just would have been afraid to try to pronounce it!  Sorry, old Dag is in my reading vocabulary but not necessarily my speaking vocabulary.

There's no penalty for wrong pronunciation as long as you don't throw in extra syllables. At least old Dag wasn't in a spelling category! Of course, Alex wouldn't have hesitated to correct your pronunciation.

• Love 3

Kind of a sad game with all those TS's. These didn't seem to be contestants that read much, despite two of them being in education. (Catherine was introduced as an "informal educator"--what in the world is that?).

Informal education can include things like educational activities in museums or parks. A self-guided tour would be a type of informal education, as would a ranger-led tour. It's pretty neat stuff.

Peanuts was easy for me, but it probably helps that I grew up where Charles Schultz finished his life.

• Love 3

I was rooting for Thaddeus the Latin teacher, being one myself. I was thankful that Alex didn't fall back on the "Why study Latin?" or "Does anyone still study Latin?" questions he usually asks. Nice surprise that Thaddeus's travel story revolved around Machu Picchu and not the ancient Mediterranean.

Latin was one of my favorite classes in high school! I took four years and was a member of the National Latin Honor Society; not exactly the Prometheus Society, but still. ;-) Of course, I don't remember much of it (hey, it was over four decades ago), but it comes in handy during Jeopardy!

• Love 3

I got a lot of the TSs, too -- Daryl Hall, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, The Robe, Babaloo. For the Secretary General, I can never quite get his name right. I would have said something like Dag Hammerstol. I don't think I would have gotten credit for that. Same with David Haberstom.

For Vanna White's autobiography with the Garbo hint thrown in, I guessed "I Vanna Be Alone," though I didn't really think that was right.

I thought the pic of the flower looked like vinca, but I felt that clue was hinting at impatiens.

I thought FJ was super easy.

• Love 5

Dag Hammarskjold is rolling over in his grave  As are Daryl Hall and David Halberstam and Dashiell Hammett.  Caged bird singing?  Lady sings the blues?  I didn't think these were so hard.

On the other hand, I had a brain cramp in FJ and said Minions.  So who am I to talk?

I got Dag Hammarskjold, but had brain farts and couldn't come up with Daryl Hall (despite being a fan in the 80s) or Dashiell Hammett.  David Halberstam I've heard of, but that book title meant nothing to me.  I did get FJ though - the sound of Charlie Brown's teacher "talking" is how a friend and I always describe what our cats hear when we talk to them.  I also got impatiens because that is one of the few plants I can identify by sight.

Edited to note that I was in the kitchen when the Daryl Hall clue was read.  Was there a photo?  If I'd have seen a photo, there's no way I would've missed it.

Oh, and I got Babalu.  I wasn't sure if that was the name of the song, but Desi was always singing that so I guessed it.  Despite not really liking I Love Lucy, I've seen enough episodes for it to be familiar.

I couldn't believe they missed "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and "Lady Sings The Blues".

Also The Robe and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.  Does no one go to book stores anymore?

Utah was a total guess for me, based on the reference to heaven.  I'd never heard the phrase which Alex claimed was so commonly known, but then again, I don't really know any Mormons.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Those impatiens did look just like Vinca, but I guessed impatiens. Why aren't they called "Impatience" if that is the real reason for the name? I think it's an old wives tale. 

Also I guessed Peanuts right away but thought it had to be wrong because there was no movie nor "group of people" or whatever was in that clue. Is Peanuts a group of people? Then I figured Peanuts was wrong (due to no movie and they are asking for a group of people) and not knowing anything at all about the Movie Minions- I said Minions and I was shocked the champ guessed that as well as well as in here OttoDBusDriver. So random! 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 1

Edited to note that I was in the kitchen when the Daryl Hall clue was read.  Was there a photo?  If I'd have seen a photo, there's no way I would've missed it.

There was a photo but I think it was a current one so it probably wouldn't have helped.  I guessed Daryl Hall just because I couldn't think of any other person it could mean.

• Love 1

I had other associations with several of those DHs, which made them easier to get.  I used to work at 1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza (it took me longer to learn how to spell the address than learn how to do my job!).  And David Halberstam came one day and taught a class I was taking on the history of Vietnam.  A couple years ago, Daryl Hall did one of those celebrity home-reno miniseries on HGTV, which I watched, so I have a recent image of him in my mind.  (He didn't do much actual work, but he seemed very knowledgeable about antique architecture.  And he has an impressive head of hair.)

I didn't know there was a Peanuts movie last year, but on the TV specials the adults' voices were always instrumental, so that seemed like a safe guess.

I slept through the first twenty minutes or so and woke up to hear myself mumbling "Babalu," which was pretty strange.

• Love 2

the sound of Charlie Brown's teacher "talking" is how a friend and I always describe what our cats hear when we talk to them.

Ditto  chez Trey:)

IIRC there was a promo for the Peanuts movie on Jeopardy! about the time the movie was released.

• Love 3

I'm used to vinca referring to vinca major and vinca minor (the purplish priwinkle) plants, so thanks for making me google to see other colors! I think you all are right that they used the wrong flower in the image though. It looks like a "rosy periwinkle" (isn't a vinca) now to me.

Not that all impatiens have this, but the impatiens I see at the normal nursery or supermarket flower stands have a little nub in the middle and the picture showed on jeopardy did not have it

I like flowers.

• Love 3

My mother always had impatiens on the side of the house, and that was the first thing I thought when I saw the picture, even before the clue.  I'll admit I never paid enough attention to notice little details (like a nub) that might have differentiated them from other flowers, though.  

• Love 3

My mother always had impatiens on the side of the house, and that was the first thing I thought when I saw the picture, even before the clue. I'll admit I never paid enough attention to notice little details (like a nub) that might have differentiated them from other flowers, though.

I thought they were impatiens too when I first saw the picture. I only noticed the center when I pulled up my recording on my iPad and had the image five inches from my face.

• Love 1

For a game I thought was relatively easy, they had a lot of TS. I ran the DH category and did really well in all the others too. They also were nice enough to give me a category about baseball, which I found really easy. It seemed like the three contestants had the same knowledge gaps, which made for a game that went quickly but wasn't particularly interesting to watch.

ETA: I even did well in th French occupations category, and I know very little French and usually roll my eyes when another French category comes up.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 3

Why aren't they called "Impatience" if that is the real reason for the name?

Impatiens is from the Latin.

My mom likes them, and has had several which looked pretty much just like the photo.  Although I don't have a hi def tv, and I might not have had my glasses on at the time, so I probably didn't see it that clearly.  There are different types of impatiens.  Could've been a photo of the New Guinea variety.

I've seen recent photos of Daryl Hall, so I probably would've gotten him had I seen the screen.  I also didn't realize what category the clue was for.

I got 3 out of 4 for French occupations, missed the last one, I think.

A couple years ago, Daryl Hall did one of those celebrity home-reno miniseries on HGTV, which I watched, so I have a recent image of him in my mind.

I saw the promos for that.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Oh, I would have known who they wanted.....I just would have been afraid to try to pronounce it!  Sorry, old Dag is in my reading vocabulary but not necessarily my speaking vocabulary.

I'm thinking, "Hammer-SKOLD?  Hammer-SHKOLD?"  Alex said "Hammer - SHOLD" which I would not have thought of 'cause, you know, that pesky K.

I said Dag Hamaslkdfij..... Think they'd have given it to me?

• Love 2

The answer for Final Jeopardy was so obvious I was trying to figure out if it was a trick and there was some less-obvious correct answer (I was thinking about, e.g., James Baldwin).

• Love 4

Sorry to see Ricky go, but Carter seems like an okay guy. Joyce really had a good comeback in DJ.

I got Navajo, Hiawatha, Outbreak, and baht. I have absolutely no idea how I knew baht; it just flew out of my mouth.

I got FJ, but it was a wild ass guess.

• Love 3

I said Dag Hamaslkdfij..... Think they'd have given it to me?

Definitely not.  But if you'd written to me at my office, we'd have gotten the letter.  Your spelling is actually an improvement on some I saw in those days.

• Love 2

I had other associations with several of those DHs, which made them easier to get.  I used to work at 1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza (it took me longer to learn how to spell the address than learn how to do my job!).  And David Halberstam came one day and taught a class I was taking on the history of Vietnam.  A couple years ago, Daryl Hall did one of those celebrity home-reno miniseries on HGTV, which I watched, so I have a recent image of him in my mind.  (He didn't do much actual work, but he seemed very knowledgeable about antique architecture.  And he has an impressive head of hair.)

I didn't know there was a Peanuts movie last year, but on the TV specials the adults' voices were always instrumental, so that seemed like a safe guess.

I slept through the first twenty minutes or so and woke up to hear myself mumbling "Babalu," which was pretty strange.

Not only did Daryl Hall do a home reno show on DIY channel (which was interesting), but he had a show on one of those music channels called Live From Daryl's House where certain musical stars would travel to his house and play a set in his music room. It was a really good show. Daryl apparently also loves food and always had a local chef whipping up specialties and then Daryl, the visiting artist and band members eating together. Some of the stars were Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, the guy from Train, and, happily, several female artists were often featured. I had this show on DVR because it was so enjoyable.

And, yes, the picture of flowers were vincas. The bunnies in my neighborhood ate the ones in my garden to the stem last spring. Damn you, cute bunnies!

• Love 2

Joyce's late DJ play provided an example of why you need to go big in Daily Doubles much of the time.  With time running out she hit the last DD.  She was in third place with only two other remaining clues.  If she had bet $7000 she would have gone into first place, with a good shot of finishing DJ in first place.  Instead, she bet $4000.  Whether she gets the Daily Double right or gets it wrong she is going to be in third place with only two clues remaining.  Not good odds.

Should have bet $7K and she probably would have won the game.  I know it's easy for me to say this sitting at home, and I might have gone for $4K in her shoes also, but $7K was clearly a better wager in her situation.

• Love 3

I was yelling "intermediate" at the TV for that TS. I was very excited to see the FJ category, since the 1960s is a particular interest of mine! It has been a while since that has been an FJ category (last time, the answer was Robert Kennedy).

• Love 1

I got Outbreak and Hiawatha, but totally biffed the Navaho one.  Can't believe I missed that one.  Gwen Stefani is one of those "I know OF her but don't really know much of her music" people for me, so I had no chance at that one.  I answered Avril Lavigne, presumably confusing roller skates with skateboards.  FJ was a gimme.  Black activists in the 60s to me are MLK and Malcolm X.

• Love 2

Joyce's late DJ play provided an example of why you need to go big in Daily Doubles much of the time. With time running out she hit the last DD. She was in third place with only two other remaining clues. If she had bet $7000 she would have gone into first place, with a good shot of finishing DJ in first place. Instead, she bet $4000. Whether she gets the Daily Double right or gets it wrong she is going to be in third place with only two clues remaining. Not good odds.

Should have bet $7K and she probably would have won the game. I know it's easy for me to say this sitting at home, and I might have gone for $4K in her shoes also, but $7K was clearly a better wager in her situation.

She was playing not to lose instead of playing to win. I agree with you; it was a bad wager. Why even bet $4K in that situation?

I guess I got the same TSs as others here: Gwen Stefani, Navaho, Hiawatha, and baht. I really did learn baht from doing the daily Yahoo crossword puzzle.

Crossword puzzles are responsible for at least half of my knowledge base!

I got Outbreak and Hiawatha, but totally biffed the Navaho one. Can't believe I missed that one. Gwen Stefani is one of those "I know OF her but don't really know much of her music" people for me, so I had no chance at that one. I answered Avril Lavigne, presumably confusing roller skates with skateboards. FJ was a gimme. Black activists in the 60s to me are MLK and Malcolm X.

Sadly, Jeopardy writers have their favorites within each category. They tend to ask about the same writers, composers, world leaders, scientists, dancers, etc. I think that's why I love the TOC so much; I may not do well in it, but it often leads me to look up names I didn't know.

I like when they do clues from the Pima Air and Space Museum. It's right around the corner from my house and one of my favorite museums. I wish I'd known they were filming clues there. You big city dwellers see stuff near you on Jeopardy all the time. It's cool when it happens in my city, which is usually overshadowed by Phoenix.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 2

I joined the contestants in not knowing Gwen Stefani; I know a lot of No Doubt music, and some of her earlier solo stuff, but I'd never heard of that song.  I was terrible in the pop music category; I knew Meghan Trainor, and I knew Ryan Lewis and Macklemore, but couldn't spit it out.  The rest, bupkis.

I did get steamboat, Outbreak, Navajo, baht, lion (which I knew from the drawing of a lion on the label of Singha beer), and Hiawatha, though.

The FJ clue was way too easy for FJ.

• Love 2