Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I really liked the former champ's story - I didn't even know that schools like that exist, and it made me both really happy that it exists and really sad that it's needed.

The girl on the end, I was impressed with her range of knowledge, but she kept making all of these exasperated facial expressions and gestures. I found it kind of annoying.

• Love 4

I also knew the Pleiades, "The Lady Vanishes," and the proverb about women. And I feel old that no one knew "dingbat."

The only TS I really got was 'dingbat.' I was thinking Pleiades, but I wasn't sure and didn't say it. Instead of 'The Lady Vanishes,' I said 'Lady on a Train,' which was a stupid guess. Maybe I was thinking of 'Strangers on a Train,' though I was picturing 'The Lady Vanishes.'

FJ was one of those where it seemed too easy, so I was trying to think of something else. I briefly considered 'Tess of the U'bervilles,' but I stuck with 'Wuthering Heights.'

• Love 4
(edited)

I didn't know it either. I remember very few details from the books I read in high school 20 years ago. I keep telling myself to reread the books, but I've got plenty of fluffy books to read.

Well, since we're on a TV discussion site, I'll confess that a lot of my classics knowledge comes from watching TV/movie adaptations. And my favorite Wuthering Heights version is this one.

eta: changed video to link to a more complete one

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

Well, since we're on a TV discussion site, I'll confess that a lot of my classics knowledge comes from watching TV/movie adaptations. And my favorite Wuthering Heights version is this one.

eta: changed video to link to a more complete one

Love it! I think I need to follow your example.

• Love 2
(edited)

I hate Wuthering Heights, and think its greatest contribution to society is inspiring the Kate Bush song, so I was almost annoyed to know FJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I hate Wuthering Heights, and think its greatest contribution to pop culture is inspiring the Kate Bush song, so I was almost annoyed to know FJ.

I never got past the second page of the book, but saw the Lawrence Olivier/Merle Oberon film once.  Hated the story, but it was enough for me to know that it was set in Yorkshire on the moors, so I knew FJ as soon as I saw the photo and heard Yorkshire.

• Love 1

I confess I never have read or seen Wuthering Heights - certainly have heard of it and might have gotten there eventually from the clue. However the Yorkshire Moors sent me down a worm hole to one of my favorite comedy routines of all time, "The Frog and Peach" by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and I spent all the answering time giggling at lines from it that were playing in my head.  I felt it was good game with three strong players but will miss the defeated champ who seemed like a genuinely decent person who was pleasantly surprised that he did so well for so long. 

• Love 4

I confess I never have read or seen Wuthering Heights - certainly have heard of it and might have gotten there eventually from the clue. However the Yorkshire Moors sent me down a worm hole to one of my favorite comedy routines of all time, "The Frog and Peach" by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and I spent all the answering time giggling at lines from it that were playing in my head.  I felt it was good game with three strong players but will miss the defeated champ who seemed like a genuinely decent person who was pleasantly surprised that he did so well for so long. 

Dudley Moore always reminded me of Mr Bean in this skit, which made it even funnier!

• Love 1

If you didn't know what the German word was in the FJ answer, the clue was basically "name a cereal. Good luck!"

And if you did, it was "name a cereal with wheat in it".... I know Wheaties has it right in the name, but I forgot they existed, and I thought about Shredded Wheat, then guessed Shreddies. I've never actually had Wheaties! I just know about them from pop culture.

I love the lady at the end's reaction to the reveal of the close scores! Now I wish she had won :)

• Love 4

I really liked Udit.  He started at the top, for one thing.  Wouldn't you know it, the guy who won started in the middle of the categories.  I didn't like him at all. And yes, that FJ clue was very misleading.  

• Love 5

I liked Udit a lot, too, and am sorry he lost. I don't like the new champ either. He looked like he was in excruciating pain the entire time. I also thought his interview story was kind of mean. Hopefully, he'll be a one and done.

I also said Kellogg's for FJ.

• Love 4
(edited)

The story, as I remember it, was that after an auto accident or breakdown, he and his family were helped by a scary-looking "redneck" - his word - - and not assaulted or robbed.  I also thought it was kind of weird, and didn't really present him in a good light.   I know he said it happened 15 years ago, but shouldn't a youth ministry consultant (I think that's what he said he was) especially  not jump to conclusions about people's appearances?

I liked Udit, and was sorry to see him go.  I'm not a fan of the new champ, for the reasons expressed above.  He looked liked so uncomfortable during the entire game. 

I knew Fj was asking for the cereal (since it said "cereal brand"), but had no idea whatsoever.  I would have made a big bet, too, since "food and drink" as a category is somewhat accessible. 

Edited by mjc570
  • Love 7

New champ can't leave soon enuf for me. Hate sky pointers!

What's a sky pointer, Prin?  I must've missed it, whatever it is.

I liked Udit, but I was starting to get a sympathy crick in my neck from bending my head at the same angle he bent his at.  I kept wishing he'd hold it up straight.

I thought the FJ question was very badly framed.  Probably because I got it wrong.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have never read Wuthering Heights, and know nothing about it, and it for some reason kept popping in my head during FJ and I do not know why, and it was right. I have no idea why, but it was cool. I was shocked no one knew dingbat, but I thought of meathead too of course.

ETA: As you may guess from my screen name, I love when Laura Ingalls Wilder or anything from Little House makes it to Jeopardy.

Edited by halfpint ingals
  • Love 5

No, seriously, I didn't know what you meant.  Like literally pointing upward?  I didn't see it, but I had my head all bent to the side with Udit, so maybe my perspective was skewed.  ;o)  Or did you mean it figuratively, referring to his religious profession?  Not my thing, but I don't hate it unless it impinges on me personally.

I may adopt the phrase for people who are always proselytizing, though.  "He's such a sky pointer!"  I kind of like that.

• Love 3

I loved the European capitals category, and didn't find them particularly tough, but then I am a total dork who quizzes myself several times a year to make sure my recollection of world capitals is still intact (U.S. state capitals are in the bag, no problem).  Still -- Minsk?

I initially drew a blank on FJ, and since I don't eat cereal I thought I'd remain stuck, but once it popped into my mind that it should be something to do with wheat, I guessed Wheaties.  I doubt I'd have ever come up with that/been comfortable writing it down under game conditions.

• Love 1

No, seriously, I didn't know what you meant.  Like literally pointing upward?  I didn't see it, but I had my head all bent to the side with Udit, so maybe my perspective was skewed.  ;o)  Or did you mean it figuratively, referring to his religious profession?  Not my thing, but I don't hate it unless it impinges on me personally.

I may adopt the phrase for people who are always proselytizing, though.  "He's such a sky pointer!"  I kind of like that.

Yes, he literally pointed to the sky (or the ceiling). I took the gesture to mean "Thanks be to God" or something like it.

I didn't mind his story, though I did raise an eyebrow at his use of the word "redneck." It takes a huge leap of faith to get into a vehicle with ANY stranger, whatever they look like. (And it's also a risk on the part of the driver, though not so much in this case.)

No idea on FJ. I took German in college but don't remember wheat ever being mentioned. All I could think of was cornflakes, although I was pretty sure they were older than the 1920s. I didn't think they were going for a company name, so I wondered why two of the three wrote down a cereal company.

• Love 3
I don't like the new champ either. He looked like he was in excruciating pain the entire time.

On the J!Board, he posts, and he said he was sitting in a chair during the game because he has "Chronic, degenerative back pain. I can't stand unassisted for more than a few minutes."

So he may have been in pain during the show.

I was more surprised they let "colorblindness" go without a correction.  The quite clearly was for just "colorblind" (The Constitution is colorblind), and kept expecting a correction.  This didn't seem like a Kit Carson situation--the right idea, but in a quote, clearly not the right word.

• Love 8

The "cereal brand" thing was a real problem. What a terribly worded clue. To me that's like asking for a car brand, someone says Toyota, and you're like "nope, incorrect, we were looking for Camry."

• Love 10

I took "brand" to mean company, too, and also said Kellogg's. 

I said Kellogg's first, then realized that since wheat beer is a thing, the answer was Wheaties and changed mine in time.  But yeah, "cereal brand" was misleading.

I really liked Udit.  He started at the top, for one thing.  Wouldn't you know it, the guy who won started in the middle of the categories.  I didn't like him at all. And yes, that FJ clue was very misleading.  

I could take or leave Udit, but since new champ used the word "redneck" to describe a person who helped his family out, and then God-bothered (which always bugs me though I realize that's probably unreasonable), I now wish Udit had won.

• Love 6

I loved the European capitals category, and didn't find them particularly tough, but then I am a total dork who quizzes myself several times a year to make sure my recollection of world capitals is still intact (U.S. state capitals are in the bag, no problem).  Still -- Minsk?

I initially drew a blank on FJ, and since I don't eat cereal I thought I'd remain stuck, but once it popped into my mind that it should be something to do with wheat, I guessed Wheaties.  I doubt I'd have ever come up with that/been comfortable writing it down under game conditions.

I got four out of five.  I did not know the capital of Montenegro.  I said Slovenia instead.

• Love 1

Yes, he literally pointed to the sky (or the ceiling). I took the gesture to mean "Thanks be to God" or something like it.

Thanks, GreekGeek.  I didn't see the God-pointing gesture.  Ugh.  Like God cares who wins Jeopardy!  She already has enough to deal with.

• Love 13

Thanks, GreekGeek.  I didn't see the God-pointing gesture.  Ugh.  Like God cares who wins Jeopardy!  She already has enough to deal with.

Ha, this makes me think of Miss Alli's (now Linda Holmes of NPR) Amazing Race recaps on Television Without Pity. Whenever somebody would pray for God to help them during the race, she'd say, "God is in the bathtub."

• Love 7
(edited)

I was reading an article about Greg Louganis finally getting his picture on the Wheaties box as this clue was being read out. Nailed it!!!

Edited by Seestra1
  • Love 6

As far as FJ, I figured out wheat, but could only come up with Shredded Wheat which I knew was invented earlier than the 1900s.  My brother ate Wheaties every day as a kid....  As yes, the clue should have BMS--and read "this cereal."  Putting "brand' in the clue was confusing. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Is anyone else getting yesterday's show today, as well?  I get to hear the redneck story again. I'm so lucky. </sarcasm>

ETA: Well, after the first break, there were new contestants and half a board left of today's show. Somebody's confused.  At least, I know it's not me.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
(edited)

Is anyone else getting yesterday's show today, as well?  I get to hear the redneck story again. I'm so lucky. </sarcasm>

ETA: Well, after the first break, there were new contestants and half a board left of today's show. Somebody's confused.  At least, I know it's not me.

Weird! I've been watching today's show all along. You didn't miss too much!

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 1

Another win for Jeff Skypointer! At least today's story wasn't offensive. I felt sorry after reading about his chronic pain, but I agree he's not fun to watch. I was rooting for Paul; he seemed the most cheerful of the three. 

I was irked that the judges gave the two guys their points back on that Initials category. See, people, this is why they recommend not starting in the middle.

Easy FJ for me tonight. 

• Love 10

I was more than irked that they were given the money back for the initials category. If you HAVE to start in the middle,of a category, then you suffer the consequences. Champ can't off my screen fast enough. I was rooting for Sabrina.

• Love 12

I was irked that the judges gave the two guys their points back on that Initials category. See, people, this is why they recommend not starting in the middle.

That annoyed me very much too. 

"What hump?" - that was such a funny movie:)

I did not get FJ.  I knew the base word was phobia but I am very sadly lacking in knowledge about moons of planets.

• Love 5

I was rooting for Sabrina, too, even though she also started in the middle.  I would have been happy with Paul, too.  And he did tend to start at the top.

There is no winning with these stupid, inconsistent  Jeopardy judges.  I can't believe they gave back the money to these morons who start in the middle and then don't know how the category works.  Maybe they should call everybody back from yesterday's game because that FJ really was confusing.

• Love 8

I actually yelled, "Thank God!" when Jeff Skypointer beat that obnoxious Start With The Highest Dollar Amount smug Sabrina. I'm not a big fan of Jeff's (I dislike the skypointing) but I'll give him him a pass on his pained expression if he has back problems. I was actually rooting for Paul because he was cute and I'm shallow.

I don't think they should have given those guys their money back either. I hate the starting with the high dollar clues.

I got white beans, mu shu and Darjeeling (missed DD).

• Love 4

There is no winning with these stupid, inconsistent  Jeopardy judges.  I can't believe they gave back the money to these morons who start in the middle and then don't know how the category works.  Maybe they should call everybody back from yesterday's game because that FJ really was confusing.

OT, but I've been watching old Super Password on the Buzzr channel, and I swear, once a week something goes wrong and the let both players come back.

• Love 1

Yay !! Rachel Maddow !!

I'm curious why the judges allowed the Willis Tower (complete with photo) to be called the Sears Tower -- because that hasn't been its name for a while now (around 7 years).  Or AT should have least stated that is currently known by a different name that would have also been acceptable.  Or the clue should have mentioned something about its current name for the answer.  Then again, maybe Carson Tower would have been acceptable. :)

There have just been a lot of badly worded clues all around lately.  Did they get new writers or have they been farming out to the interns again to complete their homework ?

Agreed with what has been stated upthread that they shouldn't have given money back because the contestants were too stupid to understand the clue category -- all because they jumped into the middle of the category.

FJ was pretty easy -- fears are often defined as some type of phobia, so it was pretty strightforward.

• Love 10

I got white beans, mu shu and Darjeeling 

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

When the FJ Astronomy category title was shown, I said to my sister that I wasn't very good with it, esp re moons. Wouldn't you know they were asking about a moon. However, I basically figured it out but said 'Phobus.' Sooooo close.

• Love 1