Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Today was another example of how you can really benefit from large Daily Double bets.

Buzzy found (and answered correctly) all three DDs.  In the first round he doubled up.  Good play.

The other two came late in the second round and in both cases he made relatively modest wagers.  ($4K was modest given how much all three contestants had at that point.)  If he had gone only a little bigger, he could have turned the game into a runaway and had peace of mind going into FJ.  I'm not saying I would have had the guts to bet big either, and hindsight is 20/20, but time and again we see shows where the contestants should have gone bigger in the Daily Doubles.

In any case, having to bet in FJ put him over the $30K benchmark, and Alex loves a big payday.

• Love 2

Sad to see Andrew go--and I felt bad that his parents threw away his drum set--but I like Buzzy. He reminds me of a cheerful Barton Fink, if that isn't too much of an oxymoron.

Excellent game. About the only TS that surprised me was Parkinson's. Easy FJ.

• Love 5

Boo! Buzzy is alright but I was loving me some Andrew. At least he'll get to be in the next TofC.

Boo hiss indeed! There is something about Buzzy that I am not charmed by. But I did miss the interviews so maybe tomorrow I'll see something I can like.

• Love 3

Buzzy seems likable to me, and Andrew was on kind of a downhill slide the last few days anyway.  Sometimes players just appear to hit a wall.  All he had for Buzzy's win was one single unenthusiastic clap, which was a little disappointing to me.  I wouldn't have wanted to start not liking him, so better to end his run on a high-ish note.

Was that DD in the $800 slot easy enough?  Shouldn't we have had a photo of a moccasin to help?  Jeez.

• Love 7

Was that DD in the $800 slot easy enough?  Shouldn't we have had a photo of a moccasin to help?  Jeez.

Or how about that iheartradio DD clue that included something about a jackpot -- that pretty much makes it Vegas or Atlantic City (and it wasn't Atlantic City).

• Love 5

I can't get enthused about an adult man named Buzzy.

This I can't disagree with.  Why does Buzz seem fine and even heroic, and Buzzy just seems silly?  That damn y.

Maybe he was named after a grandfather who was a dashing pilot shot down in WWII during a mission to rescue a school full of orphans.  That might make it better.

• Love 6

Yeah, Buzzy is goofy as a name, but I liked him as a player! We'll see if tomorrow is as easy as today was, overall.

Would it have been as jarring if Alex had said, "No, the other one" about Shelley and Byron? I don't think so, and I don't know why I would be okay with that, but kind of cringed when he said it about Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth.

Agreed. I think it's about punching up, really. 

• Love 2

--but I like Buzzy. He reminds me of a cheerful Barton Fink, if that isn't too much of an oxymoron.

I was thinking the same thing! Barton Fink!

I liked all three contestants, so I'm not too torn up about Buzzy winning, though I was rooting for Andrew. The woman, whose name escapes me right now, was good as well. She said something funny that made me like her even more. 

FJ was ridiculously easy. I said the answer before Alex finished reading. And, yes, moccasin was stupid easy too. 

I hope we get the story behind Buzzy's name.

• Love 2

If I won one or more Jeopardy games and then (inevitably) lost, I think my disappointment would be mixed with some relief.  Has anyone here been in that position, or heard someone comment on how they felt?

The woman, whose name escapes me right now, was good as well. She said something funny that made me like her even more.

I bet this was it: After she finished the second-to-last category (about books), Alex said she must read a lot. She then said something about not playing a lot of football (the subject of the only category left).

• Love 2

What a great game to watch! They started at the top of each category and we're all knowledgeable. I would have been fine with any of them winning, but I was most impressed with the middle contestant and how fast she rang in.

I'll miss Andrew, but he was definitely hitting his wall. See you in the TOC! And now we get Barton, which is cool with me.

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, Jesse said:

I knew A.M.E. and the Color Purple, but my answer for Sojourner Truth was "not Harriet Tubman, the other one!" because although I knew exactly who they wanted, I couldn't quite come up with the name.

I've said the same kind of thing in my living room many times, especially when there are only two Jeopardy! possibilities. I thought it was tacky for Alex to say it. 

Eh, it didn't bother me at all that he said it.

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!  If you hadn't made so many wild guesses in DJ, you would have had a runaway.  But nooooo!  Now we're stuck with Buzzy for at least another day.

I got Nebraska and Bill Maher for the TS.

• Love 2

I came unglued when Jerry answered not one, but TWO questions wrong in the "Of The" movie category.  OF THE, Jerry!  Did you not catch on to what the category meant?!  I hated him from that minute forward.

I can't put my finger on who Buzzy reminds me of but, in spite of that goofy name, I like him.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I came unglued when Jerry answered not one, but TWO questions wrong in the "Of The" movie category.  OF THE, Jerry!  Did you not catch on to what the category meant?!  I hated him from that minute forward.

I can't put my finger on who Buzzy reminds me of but, in spite of that goofy name, I like him.

I like him, too, but I miss Andrew. Buzzy takes clues in order, which is always a plus in my book.

I was surprised Alex didn't remind Jerry of the category the first time he screwed up; Alex usually does in those situations. The wild guesses were annoying. I'm not surprised the boards didn't get cleared.

• Love 3

The word on the Internet (another site I read) was that Jerry had a heavy college Quiz Bowl background - like our old friend Matt Jackson.  Jerry is supposed to be one of the all-time great Quiz Bowl guys - http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/view/Jerry_Vinokurov

But he made some mistakes in Jeopardy that surprised me.  Even so, he was leading going into FJ and could have won with a correct response.  He seemed to overthink it.  I suspect QuizBowl is harder than Jeopardy and he was used to giving more obscure responses.  Jeopardy is made for the masses, so it isn't super-hard, and FJ is rarely something too obscure.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!  If you hadn't made so many wild guesses in DJ, you would have had a runaway.  But nooooo!  Now we're stuck with Buzzy for at least another day.

I got Nebraska and Bill Maher for the TS.

I got Nebraska.  I didn't get Bill Maher because I haven't watched any of his shows in more than a decade, but I did get George Carlin.  Man, I miss George Carlin.

I didn't get FJ.  Dracula didn't even come into my mind at all.  And I'd even tried to read it once.  Apparently I didn't get far enough to have run across the quoted line.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I got the Pribilofs, which I feel as if I pulled very slickly out of my nether regions.  If that isn't too disgusting a way to phrase it.

Jerry scared me.  He seemed to be making fairly violent physical gestures just slightly out of camera range.  I'm very glad he lost.

• Love 1

He must have over-thought FJ. I though it was way too obvious, but we've had a few of those lately, so I went with Dracula. It's one of those that makes me wonder if I must be wrong because it's so obvious.

My guide said the Teacher's Tournament was airing this week. Was there any explanation given about it? Or was my guide just incorrect?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Jerry scared me.  He seemed to be making fairly violent physical gestures just slightly out of camera range.  I'm very glad he lost.

He looked really upset when he lost. I could tell by his posture even before the answer was revealed that he had guessed wrong.

• Love 2

I am glad Jerry lost.  I'd rather have Andrew, but I'll take Buzzy over Jerry any day. 

I got Nebraska, the Pribilofs and one other one that I can't remember now, but it seemed obvious to me.  And I got FJ -- even without Alex attempting his Dracula accent.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who heard Alex do a bit of an accent/inflection on the "blood" line during his actual reading of the FJ clue?  That's what made it click in my mind that the answer was Dracula. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, OakGoblinFly said:

Question - I see "TS" in a lot of the posts and for the life of me I cannot figure out what that means; what is it?

Triple stumper; no one gets it right.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I cracked up at that, because by that point I thought he was a bit of a pill anyway. But I couldn't decide if he was thinking more Animal of the House, or House of the Animals.

I like Buzzy too, although his name is ridiculous. He's giving me hipster Harold Lloyd.

That Dickens category felt interminable. Good thing they kept going back to it.

• Love 2

Yes!  Harold Lloyd, thank you because I could not put my finger on who I was thinking of every time I look at him.

I have to root for Buzzy now because Alex was such a jerk in last night's interview.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, dcalley said:

Triple stumper; no one gets it right.

Ah, thank you.  Based on the context I figured it was a question that none of the contestants were able to answer correctly, I just couldn't figure out what it meant.  :)

• Love 1

I'm over Buzzy and was hoping he'd lose last night.  Not sure why, he seems okay.  Maybe I just get bored with the same champion all the time when it isn't someone like Andrew, whom I really liked.

Edited by proserpina65
Grammar, dang it.

I thought the site was still down but apparently we can post.  Good thing, I was going through withdrawals, nearly bought a pack of smokes:)

I like Buzzy, his appearance and his persona.  I am seeing Harold Lloyd crossed with Buddy Holly.

Last night's game wasn't great but it was okay.  I did get FJ but very late, no time to write it down.

• Love 4

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A stimulus to the courageous, the $25,000 Orteig Prize offer of 1919 resulted in his success 8 years later

Yes, but the "stimulus to the courageous" at least led you to something adventurous or exploratory or something along those lines.  And you knew it was an American.  It definitely wasn't an instaget for me, but I did finally think of Lindbergh about halfway through the music.  

Edited by Scott
typo
  • Love 3

I'm liking Buzzy more each day.  And if he isn't named after a heroic fighter pilot, I'm going to guess that his real name is Boaz.  There aren't a lot of Jewish Buzzys, so it has to be based on something logical.

• Love 4

I didn't know if the year was correct, but with the mention of blood in the clue, I immediately went to Dracula.  As to Lindbergh, that's the most important thing to happen in 1927 as far as I'm concerned.  I also knew what the Orteig Prize was about.

4 hours ago, OakGoblinFly said:

Ah, thank you.  Based on the context I figured it was a question that none of the contestants were able to answer correctly, I just couldn't figure out what it meant.  :)

You're welcome! There is a glossary thread here, too, but it got a little overpopulated with things people don't often use.

There is a glossary thread here, too, but it got a little overpopulated with things people don't often use.

The glossary thread is here.  Maybe it should be pinned.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Three good contestants today.  I thought Ben was going to pull it out, but....

...I didn't get FJ either.  I could tell it had something to do with "wind" from the French, but that's as far as I got.

• Love 3

Darn, my station is doing live news coverage of something instead of showing Jeopardy. I had wanted to see Ben, as I have read a lot of his tennis articles. And now I know the outcome, too, which is my own fault! Hopefully they'll air it in the wee hours of the morning.

Edited by dcalley