Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

If anyone was going to be on from "Mad Men", I wish it were Jon Hamm.

Scorpio and booster were two surprising TS.

If there is one category left on the board, is there any reason they can't just say only the dollar amount? I know they cleared the board in the Jeopardy! round and all but one clue in the second round but listening to Amanda drawl out the category names was making my teeth hurt.

Her Nixon DD miss was inexcusable. I thought "The Postman Always Rings Twice" was relatively easy as well.

I certainly hope Alex was joking and the clue-runners told him that "Zed's Dead, Baby" was an homage to freaking Pulp Fiction and he thought he was being funny by mentioning Canada.

Baseball! Which I had no idea at all what FJ was looking for.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Andrew's total is remarkable considering he hasn't gotten anything from the final question two days straight.

I don't know how anybody could miss that Final Jeopardy.

The only 2 people in this house didn't.

• Love 3

The contestants for the Power Players Tournament have been announced:

You mean Wolf Blitzer isn't returning to defend his title?

If anyone was going to be on from "Mad Men", I wish it were Jon Hamm.

Jon is definitely a little nicer to look at, but Weiner is very smart and funny, so he has the potential to be an excellent contestant.  At least in the chat segment.

I just realized they're Hamm and Weiner, both named for meat.  I wonder if Kevin Bacon was ever up for a part on Mad Men.  ;o)

• Love 7

Yay for Andrew again.

I got capsule, booster, juicer, 1974 (missed DD), guitar and The Maltese Falcon.

I was absolutely clueless on FJ.

Mon, you comedian. ;-) Weiner pronounces his name like "winer", although I've always thought he was kind of a weener.

• Love 4

Congrats to Andrew yet again on his win, even if the money wasn't as much today.  Guy in the middle seemed sort of lost and gave some fairly bad answers.

I was pulling for Amanda to come through on her two DD's, just so the game wouldn't be a runaway.

If there is one category left on the board, is there any reason they can't just say only the dollar amount? I know they cleared the board in the Jeopardy! round and all but one clue in the second round but listening to Amanda drawl out the category names was making my teeth hurt.

That annoys me so much when they do that.

My TS's were Taurus, juicer, The Maltese Falcon, and I got the missed DD of The Postman Always Rings Twice.  I got all four of the revealed clues in the Pulp Fiction category and was miffed that we didn't get to the last clue. 

Newton was not the FJ answer yesterday but he was an answer today.

• Love 4
Weiner pronounces his name like "winer"

I know, Carpe.  It's more of a visual joke, I suppose. 

Be nice to Matthew.  He gave us a pretty great few years.

One of the things that's so impressive about Andrew as champ/player, is that he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know, and bet accordingly.  Restraint isn't something you see a lot of in J! players, but he has it by the bagful.  It's pretty cool to see someone get something wrong (even if it's easy, like today's) and then find out he bet $0.  I don't think I could've done that even one day, especially with so much money to burn, let alone two days in a row.  Ka-Pau!

• Love 8

I certainly hope Alex was joking and the clue-runners told him that "Zed's Dead, Baby" was an homage to freaking Pulp Fiction and he thought he was being funny by mentioning Canada.

I honestly don't think he knew.

I was pissed the woman didn't bet to get into striking distance on that last DD. Not playing to win, grr.

• Love 5

I missed FJ, because I was trying to think of baseball terms and "bleachers" is a bit more general than that. I did definitely facepalm once they revealed the answer, though. Obvious in hindsight!

Yeah, same. I wasn't even thinking about baseball, but still was nowhere close. 

• Love 2

I got bleachers pretty quickly. Made me happy for some reason.

I wasn't quite paying attention when the Black Bird clue came up, and I thought they were asking for the detective. Even that should have been easy, but my brain wasn't functioning. I also said "The Postman Rings Twice," so I would have gotten that wrong.

I don't know if the year Nixon resigned is easy for most people, but it is for me because I was in England at the time with my mom and sister when it happened. I'll also always remember 1974 as the year "Chinatown" came out because I saw a poster for it in the Underground, and it was new to me. It's certainly easier to remember things when you can associate them with other things.

I'm glad Andrew won. He's so impressive. I think his strong categories are geography and words/wordplay. But then, he has a lot of strong categories.

• Love 2

I was pissed the woman didn't bet to get into striking distance on that last DD. Not playing to win, grr.

That makes two of us -- she had already started playing for 2nd place (at best) at that point.  

She should have at least wagered $1201 so that if she got it right, it wasn't going to be a runaway.  Wagering a $1000 was just plain dumb -- the guy in the middle only had $400 -- so making the wager $1201 would have made no difference from wagering $1000.  Arghh !!!  Of course she had to get it right, which she didn't.

What was worse is that she forgot to phrase her answer in the form of a question for that DD.  WTF ?

After all the effort to get on this show and to watch contestants just give up like that is just painful to watch.

Scorch ??  What that hell does that have to do with baseball ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I had no idea what that category title meant.  The clues were mostly easy, though.

• Love 2

I missed FJ, because I was trying to think of baseball terms and "bleachers" is a bit more general than that. I did definitely facepalm once they revealed the answer, though. Obvious in hindsight!

It seemed too easy even for a Kid's Tournament FJ, so I started to wonder if I was missing something.

I knew the Nixon DD because my mother got into an argument about him with my brother's high school principle shortly after the 72 election.  She loved him for some reason.  So I remember how upset she was when he was forced to resign in 74.  To this day, she still wonders what the Democrats were hiding at the Watergate.  Even though she now is one.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I could have named all 32 NFL teams while the song was playing and would not have known which was the right answer. Well, I did rule out Charlotte.

I'm glad they gave that guy credit for educated.

• Love 6

That's three straight incorrect Final Jeopardy answers for Andrew, and yet he keeps winning. Impressive.

Final Jeopardy stumped me. I was actually thinking about Pitt toward the end, but didn't make the jump to Pittsburgh.

• Love 3

FJ was not quite an instaget but it was pretty fast, with plenty of time to write down the answer. I've really been on a roll this week:)   I think Andrew got confused and was thinking of the NHL for some reason. Not that Abbotsford has an NHL team either.

In the Literary New York category I was waiting for an O. Henry clue but none came up.

I'm glad it was not a runaway.  I am still rooting for Andrew but I do like the games to be fairly even.

• Love 2

Pitt was the only name I could think of. Thanks, Blackadder!

William Pitt the Younger was portrayed by a child actor.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5

Yay, Andrew!

The only TS I got was Bushnell.

I was clueless on FJ, but at least I didn't even consider Canadian cities (since Alex specified it was an American city and it was about the NFL). That was a Goofy Guess by Andrew.

• Love 5

I got Pittsburgh because I tried to think of long time NFL cities and that one is the only one that made sense.

ETA: I corrected my spelling of the city. I'm a dope.

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 2

When the S bones category was announced, I was just waiting for scapula, so when it came up, I was all, "WHAT IS SCAPULA!"

For FJ, I just didn't know but guessed Cleveland. Pittsburgh occurred to me, but not with any certainty.

I'm glad Andrew is still in it.

• Love 5

I got Pittsburg because I tried to think of long time NFL cities and that one is the only one that made sense.

Ha ha, it's PittsburgH, with an H!  I was kind of sad that no one got my native town.

Cleveland?  What?!

• Love 4

Ha ha, it's PittsburgH, with an H!  I was kind of sad that no one got my native town.

Cleveland?  What?!

Hey, at least Cleveland was in the US -- could have been named after the Right Honorable James S. Cleve or something along that line.

But Abbotsford -- whiskey tango foxtrot !!!

• Love 3

Scorch ??  What that hell does that have to do with baseball ?

If your team sucks, like mine does, they get scorched a lot? I got nothing.

I got FJ pretty quickly, but I'm originally from PA, so I thought of Pittsburgh almost immediately. I didn't know where the name came from, so I did learn something.

Andrew needs to get some of these FJs right. He made me nervous today when he tipped that he had no clue on the answer before they even revealed it.

• Love 5

I was shouting "cockapoo" at the tv.  Was that clue the only TS?

I conflated it with another poodle crossbreed and yelled "Cockadoodle!" Which still makes me laugh.

The only 2 people in this house didn't.

Only the hubs got this one. I don't care for baseball, and even if I did, I'm not sure I'd have come up with bleachers. But it was a cool piece of trivia.
  • Love 3

That's three straight incorrect Final Jeopardy answers for Andrew, and yet he keeps winning. Impressive.

Final Jeopardy stumped me. I was actually thinking about Pitt toward the end, but didn't make the jump to Pittsburgh.

I'm a little embarrassed not to have come up with Pitt, since the Pitts are among the few Prime Ministers whose names I remember.  I got stuck on Cleveland and couldn't get passed it even though I was sure it was wrong.

Pitt was the only name I could think of. Thanks, Blackadder!

And was later played by Benedict Cumberbatch in the movie Amazing Grace.  Blackadder is why I should've gotten FJ.

Hey, at least Cleveland was in the US -- could have been named after the Right Honorable James S. Cleve or something along that line.

But Abbotsford -- whiskey tango foxtrot !!!

I've never heard of Abbotsford (well, Abbotsford House in Scotland) but I do at least know it doesn't have an NFL team.

• Love 3

I conflated it with another poodle crossbreed and yelled "Cockadoodle!" Which still makes me laugh.

*snort* Thanks! That's still making me laugh.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

So glad Andrew won again!  Michael annoyed me with the starting in the middle, of course.  Otherwise, he was fine.  But I'm still glad Andrew managed in the end.

I could not for the life of me come up with Diego Rivera -- I doubt they would have accepted "Frida Kahlo and her husband!" as correct.

I also blanked on FJ.  Boo hiss.

• Love 2

Re FJ I don't know where I pulled Lord Byron from.  I was stumped and then something flitted through my mind about Byron swimming something or other.  I probably even would have time to write it down since it's a short name:)

I know there were a few TS's but I'm not sure I got any of them.

I liked all the contestants but I am still glad Andrew won. 

• Love 1

I also am glad Andrew won - he just has a little twinkle that I find very appealing.  Except for his habit of starting in the middle, Michael was fine, also.  I can't remember what it was, but there was a TS that I thought was pretty surprising because I knew it (and if I did, these folks should have).  I think they were all impressive.

I'm waiting for someone to post Andrew's belly-dancing pictures.

• Love 2

Whew! I'm glad. Michael just didn't seem as personable as Andrew is.

FJ was nope. Non-US history is not my strong suit.

Yeah, Michael seemed kind of blah, almost bored.

Exciting game, though, with three very smart players. The one TS that surprised me was The Color Purple.

I am embarrassed that I did not think of Lord Byron, since Greeks love him for fighting in their War for Independence. I thought of Lord Nelson, not knowing he was already dead five years in 1810.

• Love 1

Holy cow! Andrew sure got over his FJ slump. Good for him. I, too, want to see his belly dancing photos.

I got The Strain and African Methodist Episcopal Church.

For FJ I said, "Some guy who swam the English Channel." I'm pretty certain they wouldn't have accepted that.

• Love 6

My mother and I were screaming "BREAD AND JAM FOR FRANCES" because that was my favorite book! (And kind of still is.)

I'm always shocked at how non-black contestants don't know "black stuff" like A.M.E. or even The Color Purple. OH! Or when Alex said out loud, "The other one" yesterday referring to Sojourner Truth.  (I am not black, and feel like  all of this is or should be really general knowledge.)

• Love 6

I was shocked no one got The Color Purple. 

I thought I'd run the Children's Book Title category, but I had a couple of sudden blanks. I could picture the book cover for Bread and Jam for Frances, but I couldn't remember the complete title. I can't remember what other one I missed in this category.

I did not get FJ. I was thinking along the lines of a naval officer or person. What I came up with was... wait for it... Trafalgar! You know. Captain Trafalgar? *hangs head in shame*

I'm glad Andrew won. I was worried. All three players were good, but I like him best and want him to win lots and lots.

• Love 4

My husband was an English major undergraduate, and at his senior oral finals he was asked a question about poets, and had a brain freeze, to the point the panel said "Name a poet, any poet". It is now a running joke among friends and family, so when he blurted out "Byron" for FJ, there was much laughter.

• Love 5

Whew! I'm glad. Michael just didn't seem as personable as Andrew is.

FJ was nope. Non-US history is not my strong suit.

I confidently answered John Adams, showing two things:

1. I paid no attention to the category, which is always a bad thing to do with Jeopardy.

2. I confused John Adams with John Quincy Adams.

Boo hiss indeed.

I'm glad Andrew won again. I don't think I remember the last time we had a long-time champ that everyone here seems to like.

• Love 4

And, his brother - Pitt, the even younger.

I could picture the book cover for Bread and Jam for Frances, but I couldn't remember the complete title.

Hee, me too. I remembered Jam but not Bread.

Cook!  I guess she didn't remember my FJ question in which we learned that Cook could not swim.

• Love 4

I don't know the difference between Shelly (Shelley?) and Byron except that Byron fought for Greece.  Now I know that Shelly (Shelley?) drowned.  And I still can't figure out who was married to PBS.  The author, or author's mother, of Frankenstein?

I'm always shocked at how non-black contestants don't know "black stuff" like A.M.E. or even The Color Purple. OH! Or when Alex said out loud, "The other one" yesterday referring to Sojourner Truth.  (I am not black, and feel like  all of this is or should be really general knowledge.)

I knew A.M.E. and the Color Purple, but my answer for Sojourner Truth was "not Harriet Tubman, the other one!" because although I knew exactly who they wanted, I couldn't quite come up with the name.

• Love 3

I don't know the difference between Shelly (Shelley?) and Byron except that Byron fought for Greece.  Now I know that Shelly (Shelley?) drowned.  And I still can't figure out who was married to PBS.  The author, or author's mother, of Frankenstein?

The author of Frankenstein, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, was married to Percy Bysshe Shelley.  She was his second wife.

I got FJ through the same process that Andrew used: "Shelley?  No, he drowned.  Who else?  Byron?  Probably not, but let's go with him."

• Love 2

I knew A.M.E. and the Color Purple, but my answer for Sojourner Truth was "not Harriet Tubman, the other one!" because although I knew exactly who they wanted, I couldn't quite come up with the name.

I've said the same kind of thing in my living room many times, especially when there are only two Jeopardy! possibilities. I thought it was tacky for Alex to say it. 

• Love 2
[M]y answer for Sojourner Truth was "not Harriet Tubman, the other one!" because although I knew exactly who they wanted, I couldn't quite come up with the name.

I came up with Tubman, but only because I've been to the memorial statue for Sojourner Truth in Battle Creek, Michigan and didn't think she'd have a statue so far away. (I don't remember where the statue Jeopardy showed was located, but it wasn't Battle Creek.)

Would it have been as jarring if Alex had said, "No, the other one" about Shelley and Byron? I don't think so, and I don't know why I would be okay with that, but kind of cringed when he said it about Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth.

• Love 2