Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I know quite a few people that thought using Fingerhut would build their credit, but ended up worse off than before.  Over buying, not paying on time, and ending up in collections.  

For people who can't handle credit, there are no easy fixes. The one that cracks me up is for some credit repair "service" and the spokespeople are all "My credit went up 16 points!"

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

People need to learn how to enunciate! :D

There's a commercial for some betting app with Ben Affleck and two other people I think I'm supposed to know, and I can't understand a word any of them say.  I do hear the word Boston a couple times, but other than that it's all garbled.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I know quite a few people that thought using Fingerhut would build their credit, but ended up worse off than before.  Over buying, not paying on time, and ending up in collections.  

I guess a better way to phrase it is "They market it as a way to build good credit".

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

There's a commercial for some betting app with Ben Affleck and two other people I think I'm supposed to know,

There's one with Melvin Gregg (the two of them being driven to the Wynn), and then a longer one (where they go inside) that also has Shaq in it - and apparently J.Lo's mom is the woman at the slot machines.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

There's one with Melvin Gregg (the two of them being driven to the Wynn), and then a longer one (where they go inside) that also has Shaq in it - and apparently J.Lo's mom is the woman at the slot machines.

Well, they had to have Shaq in it. That's been a federal law since the early aughts.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2021 at 10:03 AM, chessiegal said:

What's up with Fingerhut (besides the woman gyrating like a maniac behind a lawn mower)? The ads say buy stuff you need from us and improve your credit score. How?

Ugh I hate that part of the commercial, she is oddly dressed not to mention the damn lawnmower isn’t even running, it’s not cutting the grass as it moves.

i do like the guy at the end, grilling in what I presume is football fan wear and face paint and slow jamming with his spatulas.

Why does the woman in the BMW w/ Alexa ad want to for real murder the little kid in the window upstairs? I mean, she glares and clenches her jaw like he has just shit on her BMW w/ Alexa instead of staying up past his bedtime spying on two adults making kissyface in the driveway. It's...an acting choice. That makes me want to call CPS.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

Why does the woman in the BMW w/ Alexa ad want to for real murder the little kid in the window upstairs? I mean, she glares and clenches her jaw like he has just shit on her BMW w/ Alexa instead of staying up past his bedtime spying on two adults making kissyface in the driveway. It's...an acting choice. That makes me want to call CPS.

There is a Safelite Auto Glass commercial where the couple are camping and they get a ding in their windshield. The woman looks at it like she's looking at a child molester or something. It's just a little tiny chip, not a crime against nature, lady. Calm down. Jeez.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I swear I heard a commercial for a probiotic floor cleaner last night. 

Humor Boomer GIF

4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I don't understand the Taco Bell commercial that shows a girl and a guy at a beach party, they lock eyes and run down to the surf, they almost kiss and they hear the Taco Bell chime and the next scene is the girl sitting alone in a Taco Bell after midnight chowing down on a Number 4 (or whatever number combo meal), why wouldn't she have invited the guy she seemed so in to on the beach to join her for a greasy late night snack? Was this supposed to be some sort of take on Cinderella?

I thought they were trying to say you'll drop everything for food from Taco Bell.

• Love 4

There's a commercial for some sort of diabetes medicine that makes me scratch my head because it involves a pickleball (UGH!) charity event but I don't see how they're raising money (if that's what they're doing) and I have no idea what the gimmicky tall clear plastic tube they're filling with pickleballs is measuring. Maybe I'm overthinking it... 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

There's a commercial for some sort of diabetes medicine that makes me scratch my head because it involves a pickleball (UGH!) charity event but I don't see how they're raising money (if that's what they're doing) and I have no idea what the gimmicky tall clear plastic tube they're filling with pickleballs is measuring. Maybe I'm overthinking it... 🤷‍♂️

In my head, they pay to play - thus how they raise money, and somehow, maybe the winners, or all the players put their ball in the tube until they have reached their goal. That's all I got.

• Useful 1
On 10/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, Dirtybubble said:

If your co-worker thinks Alaska is an island you need to find a new co-worker.   I understand the idea of the commercial is to show how Shutterfly can make anything but I just don't understand this stupidity.

Must be the same woman whose niece flew to the US from Hawaii during the pandemic and was allowed in.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 10/24/2021 at 8:18 AM, Gharlane said:

I swear I heard a commercial for a probiotic floor cleaner last night. 

I heard it too.  A quick search turns up a handful of them.  I have no idea why!

• LOL 2
On 11/4/2021 at 3:31 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Not only am I grossed out by Lume, there's part of it I don't understand.  "Yeah, we're aluminum free and baking soda free..."

What's so bad about baking soda?  We EAT it, ferpetesake.

Some kooks think the former gets absorbed by your skin and causes Alzheimer's and people claim the latter irritates sensitive skin. 

• Useful 3
54 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is there a reason a mattress should be "organic"? Those Avocado ads perplex me.

Because organic is a great buzzword that will have people clamoring to buy it?

Seriously, no plastic in the mattress?  Springs are metal, which is organic, right?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Lots of fillings in mattresses and likely some of the other materials are made from foam, polyurethane, polyester, and who knows what else.  That's why it makes a difference to some people.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

They've started rerunning the Coffee Mate seasonal flavors commercial with the gingerbread man who is supposed to guess the word on his head which is "snow."  What has me scratching my head are all the terrible terrible hints the people give him:  "it really makes the season" and "it comes at the end of the year" - things like that.  It's "snow" wouldn't you say:  "it's cold!" or "one form of precipitation" or "rhymes with ho" ?

How this commercial has lasted the test of time, I'll never know.

• Love 9

That commercial is idiotic (and has been playing since mid-October).   The gingerbread man reminds me of Warren Ferguson from The Andy Griffith Show (that's not a good thing) and the doofus giving the clues says "this I going to take a while" I want to yell at the screen "of course it fool, with the dumbass clues you're giving.   The talking piece of baked flour and eggs is smarter than you.   I hope that makes your end of year season." 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2021 at 2:10 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Adam Ruins Everything did a show talking about the scam of mattresses.  I find it strange that I could buy a range AND dishwasher for less than some mattresses.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Adam Ruins Everything did a show talking about the scam of mattresses.  I find it strange that I could buy a range AND dishwasher for less than some mattresses.

We got a new mattress from Ikea last year because our son recommended it. I love it and it was cheap. I tried to get one from Mattress Firm - jeez talk about high pressure sales tactics. They would do a used car salesman proud.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I tried to get one from Mattress Firm - jeez talk about high pressure sales tactics. They would do a used car salesman proud.

Yeah we went to buy a mattress from Sleepys or something like that, and the salesperson was so obviously desperate to get us to buy right that minute. "What do you WANT to pay?" "What would get you to buy today?"

We left and ordered one from IKEA.

• Love 1

Why is it that pretty much all dishwasher-related commercials show the dishes loaded “wrong“?  Like, with the dirty surface facing out, so the spray doesn’t hit them as directly?  Or is it just me (and/or my dishwasher) that’s weird?

• Useful 1

Just heard a commercial on the radio for one of those "win $100,000 each year for life" lottos where a guy is repeatedly yelling that it's his "win day."

Several weary-sounding people reply that they know, he tells them every year...it's the anniversary of when he won the lottery.

IDK, but this guy isn't cute or funny but downright obnoxious. What working person wants to hear a smug asshole reminding them regularly how he's set for life?? 

All things considered, acting like that is a good way to get yourself murdered...

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Just heard a commercial on the radio for one of those "win $100,000 each year for life" lottos where a guy is repeatedly yelling that it's his "win day."

Several weary-sounding people reply that they know, he tells them every year...it's the anniversary of when he won the lottery.

IDK, but this guy isn't cute or funny but downright obnoxious. What working person wants to hear a smug asshole reminding them regularly how he's set for life?? 

All things considered, acting like that is a good way to get yourself murdered...

image.png.7ece9aeac644632708706056d59c22e9.png

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
On 11/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, Maverick said:

That commercial is idiotic (and has been playing since mid-October).   The gingerbread man reminds me of Warren Ferguson from The Andy Griffith Show (that's not a good thing) and the doofus giving the clues says "this I going to take a while" I want to yell at the screen "of course it fool, with the dumbass clues you're giving.   The talking piece of baked flour and eggs is smarter than you.   I hope that makes your end of year season." 

That commercial has been playing for a couple years over the holidays. I don't think it would matter if they gave the gingerbread made good clues because he keeps repeating the same wrong answer over and over! 😡

On 11/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Dirtybubble said:

And speaking of IKEA....what do muscular teddy bears (which creep me out btw) have to do with furniture from IKEA?  This is just bizarre to me

Those teddy bears seem a bit sinister to me... destroying their communication with the outside world, trapping them in the house, ... 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I saw a couple two new commercials last night that left me scratching my head.

In the first one, a young man complains that he has to chose either the picture where he looks bad or the one where his girlfriend looks bad for their annual Christmas card. Why don't you take more until you get one where you both look good? 🤔

The second one featured a black man who clearly is not enjoying taking the kids to see Santa Claus. In fact, he's in the background of his kids' photo making a mean sour face (way to ruin the shot!). Anyhow, he later gets some sort of artsy crafty thing as a gift, a pillow with a black Santa on it, and immediately cheers up, which makes me wonder if he has a problem with the Santa Claus being white? 😲

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

In the first one, a young man complains that he has to chose either the picture where he looks bad or the one where his girlfriend looks bad for their annual Christmas card. Why don't you take more until you get one where you both look good? 🤔

I haven't seen that one, but did they show the young man and his girlfriend?  Are they of different races or skin colors?  There's a phone that came out recently that's running ads about how its camera is apparently much better than everything that's come before about adjusting (lighting or whatever) for different skin tones.  Maybe it's for that?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I haven't seen that one, but did they show the young man and his girlfriend?  Are they of different races or skin colors?  There's a phone that came out recently that's running ads about how its camera is apparently much better than everything that's come before about adjusting (lighting or whatever) for different skin tones.  Maybe it's for that?

The Google Pixel 6, I think.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't think they were different races, but it wasn't for a camera. It was for one of those companies that makes cards and tshirts and coffee mugs with your photos. The only problem with the photos was minor, like one of them had blinked or wasn't facing the camera. I didn't see why they had to choose one of them instead of taking more.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

What's with the overweight Scrooge on the Peloton bike?  He looks NOTHING like Scrooge.

I don't understand what Scrooge has to do with exercise.  In the story, Scrooge sees the light and suddenly cares about the welfare and happiness of others.  There is nothing about getting his fat ass in shape.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I don't understand what Scrooge has to do with exercise.  In the story, Scrooge sees the light and suddenly cares about the welfare and happiness of others.  There is nothing about getting his fat ass in shape.

It's a pointless mess. And to think people get paid for this shit. SMH

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I don't think they were different races, but it wasn't for a camera. It was for one of those companies that makes cards and tshirts and coffee mugs with your photos. The only problem with the photos was minor, like one of them had blinked or wasn't facing the camera. I didn't see why they had to choose one of them instead of taking more.

It sounds like Shutterfly.

• Love 2

Does anybody out there remember I slogan for a 90s advert? The slogan at the end of the advertisement was: "It's good but (haha) not THAT good". I believe it was a beer/lager advert but maybe not so. Can anybody help (as this is bugging me)?

I hate that Scrooge Pelaton commercial. What does him being Scrooge have to do with anything? Are they implying that people are “scrooges” about exercise until they discover the unadulterated pure joy of the Pelaton?? So dumb.

The Shutterfly Christmas card couple where they chose the card in which the boyfriend looked bad and the girlfriend looked good…or, you know, you could have taken more than two photos.

The good old Kerrygold family is back. If I was one of the younger siblings, I’d be super pissed at having to wake up at 2:30 am to surprise my much older brother who probably never even gives me the time of day. Meh. Yay for your “first day”, bro. (Why no, I’m not projecting at all, why do you ask?) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

I hate that Scrooge Pelaton commercial. What does him being Scrooge have to do with anything? Are they implying that people are “scrooges” about exercise until they discover the unadulterated pure joy of the Pelaton?? So dumb.

The thing that weirds me out the most about that commercial is hearing some of the music from Nightmare Before Christmas in it. 

• Love 2