Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: The Dance Of Dragons

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis: 

Stannis faces a difficult decision; Jon returns to the Wall; Mace visits the Iron Bank; Arya encounters someone from her past; Dany oversees a celebration of athleticism.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

Stannis is dead to me! I hope Ramsey Bolton skins him alive. ..

This in triple spades. I've been Stannis fan since I first read "A Clash of Kings" in the late 90s. Thanks Benioff and Weiss. I'm officially off Team Stannis.

Bastards.

• Love 16

Well if this wasn’t deserving of an episode 9, don’t know what is!  Definitely ate most of this season’s budget.

As much as I hate Ramsay, that was a smart move and only 20 men were needed. 

When Stannis sent Davos off, that was a clear sign he was going to sacrifice Shireen. That was just so fucking wrong, I can’t believe they went there!  I was surprised Selyse tried to save her.  Now I can’t wait for Brienne to avenge Renly.  And if she doesn’t I can’t see how Davos will have any more to do with Stannis.

Good riddance to Dany’s husband #2.  WTG Tyrion, Jorah, Daarius and most of all Drogon for saving the day!  Don’t mess with my mom and don’t mess with my baby!  I hope Drogon  doesn’t die.

So Arya found Meryn, but a girl is going to be in deep shit for disobeying the many faced God.

I like Doran’s palace, but I’m still not getting into that storyline.

Overall a pompous episode, but I'm so so pissed about Shireen.

• Love 15
(edited)

OMG, that was a fucking great episode. The CGI with Drogon and Daenerys was outstanding. The Sons of the Harpies attacking was scary as hell. Daario and Jorah are amazing fighters. So Dany's "husband" was a good-ist guy after all.

Poor Shireen. Fuck Stannis, I hope that he is burnt alive. Davos will be distraught. I hope this ends his loyalty to Stannis.  I cannot believe that Selyse was the parent to cave in after how she treated Shireen all these years. 

I think that Jaqen knows that Arya is lying, but I don't care, I want her murder Tant in the finale. I was hoping that Arya would kill him right there and then to save that poor terrified girl.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 16

I'm still in shock, even crazy Selyse made a last ditch effort and Stannis just stood there. Is being King really worth all that, he now officially out of Kings blood, what's he going to do the next time he needs something.

Drogon should have gone a bit more dracarys on those harpies. Now go free your siblings and let them see the full power of a dragon queen.

• Love 11

Can Drogon just fly around burning everyone and everything to the ground? Beginning with Stannis? 

I got my hopes up after the White Walker siege last week, but nope, that was back to being disappointing. Dorne was boring. Arya was boring. Drogon was,  however, awesome, even if the CGI was pretty bad there at the end. Gave me some Falcor flashbacks.

I've always bought the DVDs because my mom doesn't have HBO and I got her hooked after S1. Methinks mom is on her own this year. I can't pay money for this season. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Stannis is dead to me. He's lost all of his humanity, any aspect of him that was interesting or redeemable. I know the story of this episode should be Dany and Drogon flying, but for me it's Stannis allowing his daughter's murder at the hands of Melissandre.

On the topic of Dany, though, Jorah touched her hand. Does that mean she has grey scale now?

Edited to say that I hope this drives Davos away from Stannis.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 6
(edited)

You know, Drogon flying in to save Dany, incinerating the Harpies and then Dany flying off on his back would have been totally badass, if they just hadn't burned a ten-year old girl at the fucking stake. That's it, I'm totally rooting for the Boltons now.

This! Never thought I would see the day when I'm rooting for the damn Boltons of all houses. I want Stannis to lose, he needs to rue the day he sacrificed Shireen and realize it was all for nothing.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 15

Stannis is dead to me. He's lost all of his humanity, any aspect of him that was interesting or redeemable. I know the story of this episode should be Dany and Drogon flying, but for me it's Stannis allowing his daughter's murder at the hands of Melissandre.

On the topic of Dany, though, Jorah touched her hand. Does that mean she has grey scale now?

I think you need to touch the actual greyscale. 

• Love 3

Stannis, you motherfucking asshole!

And there are not enough houses in the world, here and in Westeros, to drop on you, Melisandre.

Drogon, you are the man, or rather dragon!  And you saved your mommy.  Props to you.  Sucks for the others though.

• Love 15

Thank you Game of Thrones for clarifying who the worst character is in the show.  We had Joffrey and the Boltons, but Stannis beats them all.  I never thought I would root for the Boltons over Stannis, but I really want them to flay him and his red witch.

• Love 14

Fuck Stannis.

Guess Gray Worm is still recovering?

Hope Dany is flying to where the other 2 dragons are to let them out.

Dragon hide is considerably LESS tough than I thought.

• Love 16

Well, after the episode two weeks ago I said I felt owed dragons.  Thanks, show!  It's interesting that it wasn't as strong as I assumed it would be, wonder what that means for the two in the cellar.

As far as far as the stuff in the north goes...I guess I'm on the side of the Whitewalkers.  Do Stannis and the rest of them not really know the extent of what's coming, in terms of the army of the undead?  They're all fighting for a throne that doesn't seem like it'll matter very much when winter comes. 

I'm wondering that too.  Or, maybe she's immune because of her dragon blood, or whatever exactly that is.  It's touching that he fought for her and all but it's hard for me to focus on that when he's carrying a disease.

I feel like Dorne could have been swapped out for the storyline they haven't shown, with the other Stark kid and the magic tree.  It's only been like 7 scenes, none of which seem to matter yet.  Though I guess I should be patient.

Hi everyone,

After the red wedding I swore I wouldn't get so invested in fictional characters but Shireen won me over and I am sad that she had to die in sucha brutal way at the hands of the man that was suppose to protect her. I should have know when they were setting him up as father of the year on that episode a few weeks ago that he was going to fall...HARD. 

• Love 11

You know, Drogon flying in to save Dany, incinerating the Harpies and then Dany flying off on his back would have been totally badass, if they just hadn't burned a ten-year old girl at the fucking stake. That's it, I'm totally rooting for the Boltons now.

I couldn't enjoy the rest of the episode after that. Didn't give a fuck about magical dragons after seeing a father have his child burned at the stake.

• Love 12
(edited)

Stannis, his idiot wife and Red side piece better die next week.

Poor Shireen, why didn't you take her with u Darvos?

Dany is a widow again, Peace out Afro Bae.

Still don't like the Dusty Hipster, but he kicked ass protecting the ladies. Kudos to Tyrion, for saving Missandei.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 10

"There are no curses in Dwarvish, Elvish or old Entish to describe this treachery!"

Okay Stannis fans....time to break out the Bourbon and Billy Holiday tracks. This is going to be a very long depression.

• Love 6

Actually, I hope she cures him somehow. I don't really care how, just do it! Jorah's awesome, we can't lose him!!

• Love 16

I'm all for Drogon saving his mom, but what about Jorah, Daario, Tyrion, and Missandei?  They are stuck in the middle of a coliseum full of roasted, pissed off Harpies!  Ugh.

I was expecting Ellaria to lose her head.  The Snake sisters did give me a chuckle when Tyene slapped her sister in the face. "Was I slow that time, bitch?" 

I can't even summon enough outrage for poor Shireen. I didn't expect them to do it, but once the fire started... Sigh.  It doesn't pay to get attached to anyone on this show.

• Love 7

How is it so many of his men are caught up in the Mell-madness of burning people alive? How can anyone follow a man who has his own daughter burned alive?

Loyalty is a funny thing.  Some are willing to let horrible things be done to innocent, harmless people if they believe wholeheartedly in the person leading them.  Just look at Germany and Hitler.

• Love 7
(edited)

I hope there comes a day when Stannis realizes that burning Shireen was the worst fucking thing he could ever do. The Iron Throne isn't worth that. Even Selyse, who could barely stand the sight of her own daughter had an epiphany it was wrong. Enjoy being strapped to a giant "X". Although, if Davos gets word and is able to turn around and beat him within an inch of his life, that would be great as well.

Damn, like Daario, I would have put money on the wrong thing. Him the small guy and me on Dany's intended having something to do with the Harpies. His death would have been more shocking had they not just killed Shireen.

ETA: I just remembered Brienne is on her way to kill Stannis. Now there's someone else to back before the Boltons. She'll probably die a gruesome death though, because this fucking show.

Edited by Popples
  • Love 12

That was really disturbing with Shireen.

Didn't Jorah start that fight by killing a harpy or did I miss something?

I didn't like that Drogon was getting hurt by those arrows. Seemed like only a few more would've killed him.

It's always great when Dany connects with her power by connecting with her dragons. Those are the scenes that give me chills.

It's scary when people are rooting for the Bolton's. I still want Stannis to win for Sansa's sake.

Please let something good happen to a good character.

• Love 7

WTF, Stannis?  Melisandre is steering you wrong, wrong, wrong, and you are a dumbass.  I think I can only hate-watch this show now.  Why, show, why?

Drogon almost lifted my spirits, but not quite. 

• Love 7

The show totally telegraphed Shireen's death early on, but that was still so hard to watch. Effing Stannis. I wonder what Davos is going to do when he learns of her death, if he learns of it.

I'm so over Dorne and Arya's stories. That brought the show down a great deal.

• Love 2

Crapballs - my heart was in my throat worrying about the fucking dragon being hurt.  Now I want that fucking dragon to burn the witch and Stannis - slowly, if possible.  Please, show, pretty please?

• Love 21

I couldn't enjoy the rest of the episode after that. Didn't give a fuck about magical dragons after seeing a father have his child burned at the stake.

I know.

I'm not one who “roots for” a particular side in this show, but I have enjoyed the various story lines. But after tonight's show, I'm certainly not going to really feel the involvement anymore. Of course I'll watch ep. 10, and next season, but whatever occasional emotional involvement I had with this show is pretty much over. I'll watch to satisfy my curiosity, but I feel a distance now.

• Love 5

Actually, I hope she cures him somehow. I don't really care how, just do it! Jorah's awesome, we can't lose him!!

Agreed! Plus, he's Hottie McHottie as far as I'm concerned. 

I knew Shireen had it coming. Anyone that cute and sweet is not long for the GoT world. 

• Love 11
(edited)

About Hiz, Dany's second dead husband, if he had tried harder to rein in his fellow great families and give up whoever is behind the Harpies, he would still be alive. Instead, he kept trying to have it both ways. He should have picked a side, Dany's side.

Didn't Jorah start that fight by killing a harpy or did I miss something?

No, the Sons of the Harpies were setting an ambush and the guy was about to murder Dany when they were distracted. Jorah was facing her so he saw the guy and threw the sword at him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9
(edited)

Stannis, you utter, utter bastard. I was totally on Team Stannis until tonight. Now, I hope you die a horrible, horrible death. Who would have thought Crazy Mom would actually be the one to break and try to save Poor Shireen.

Ramsay and Roose still need to die so, I'm not rooting for them. Here's hoping Sansa pulls some heavy duty shit and kills them all.

Still don't care about Arya

Dany's story was interesting, I rather enjoyed the philosophical debate between Tyrion/Dany/Wannabe King. Speaking of Wannabe, surprised to find out he wasn't in on the ambush. I figured he was a part of our since he showed up late but he tried to help Dany escape and was killed by a Harpy.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9

I'm still processing poor Shireen.  I hope the Boltons beat him and flay him.  After he's flayed, Dany can have Drogon and his siblings make barbeque of him.  Arya has first dibs on Melisandre with her being second course for dragon barbeque. 

• Love 6

That was wild.   I did wonder if Shireen was destined for a powerful position in the Kingdom but I guess that question has been answered.   Stannis and Mel are truly dark individuals though that's no surprise considering what they were willing to do/and did to Renly.

He said he wants' Balon, Joffrey and Robb Stark dead so we knew that he was willing to walk over a large number of corpses to get to the Iron Throne but even Cersei would likely stop at the lives of her children.

People have actually switched to hoping House Bolton wins the War of Winterfell.   THAT'S quite a trick from a writing perspective.   

• Love 6

About Hiz, Dany's second dead husband, if he had tried harder to rein in his fellow great families and give up whoever is behind the Harpies, he would still be alive. Instead, he kept trying to have it both ways. He should have picked a side, Dany's side.

No, the Sons of the Harpies were setting an ambush and the guy was about to murder Dany when they were distracted. Jorah was facing her so he saw the guy and threw the sword at him.

Oh wow can't believe I missed that. No wonder she looked so appreciative. I hope he comes out of friendzone. He really is quite attractive.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm in a bit of shock that they burned a little girl at the stake. I have no words. I still can't root for Ramsey so I'm going to pray Brienne kills Stannis and the witch.

I did love that my Ser Jorah sort of saved Dany. And he's still alive. And that dragon. Any other dog owner say...aww good boy... When he showed up? Just me????

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 14

A young girl who is not a prostitute gets made a prostitute, clearly against her will.

At first I thought the woman was going to drag Arya in there. Where did that poor girl come from, was she scrubbing floors before hand?

• Love 6

I admired Stanis actually still do for his drive to serve his duty. In a way you can say the evil god drove this with Ramsey's raid not even giving Stanis a way back for his army in that he could no longer even retreat it was stated due to lack of transport for remaining supply Stanis had to pull a divine intervention or flee with his wife and daughter and abandon the Army. 

But I have never wanted Stanis to win because his Red Witch would have burnt hundreds of thousands to death for failing to convert and whipped out the septs and as many priests of the 7 Gods she could plus probably burn all the trees to the old gods in the North. The Sparrows are just the same but with no need for mass conversations their killings will probably be in the hundreds. So I could have even lived with a sacrifice of a daughter if it was for the greater good but deities that demand sacrifice are not in the greater good business. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think there are only two people, we can reasonable root for to end the game and take on the Whitewalkers; Dany and Jon. They are genuinely good people trying to do their best and be just in terrible situations. I have no problem investing in their stories and cheering them on.

The great thing about tonight is that Dany finally understands how to communicate with Drogon. Her emotional distress in the moment she closed her eyes, called him to save her. This will help her control the other two dragons when they are freed.Then she will truly be the Mother of Dragons and ready to march onto the Iron Throne.

As much as I despise Stannis, I am never rooting for the Boltons. Pox on both their houses, pah! I hope they flay and burn each other alive or Drogon can do it. Whatever it takes for both Houses to suffer painful deaths.

Oh wow can't believe I missed that. No wonder she looked so appreciative. I hope he comes out of friendzone. He really is quite attractive.

It happened quickly and it was only after Jorah threw the sword and Daario looked back did they show us all the Sons of the Harpies with their masks on in the stands. Clearly, they had been there all along waiting for the right moment to put on their masks and attack. I like Jorah, but he is too old for Dany. Besides she will have to have a politically strategic marriage when she reaches Westeros. If she does not marry Jon, she is more likely to marry Tristan or Loras.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 13

I can still hear Shireen's screams. Not cool show. I hope Davos rips Stannis a new one when he comes back.

Still finding the Dany story weak but damn if I didn't love Drogon.

I so thought they would go there with Jaime & Ellaria. I thought they had a bit of chemistry in the initial scene with the wine spilling. When she showed up in his room (cell?)...I thought she was there to seduce him.

In keeping with the theme of poor treatment of young girls, I also really thought that Bronn's get out of jail card was that he was going to have to marry or seduce the young Sand Snake girl.

Glad Jon and his posse made it back to the Wall. I don't trust Alliser or the boy. The Wall scenes are still my faves of the show.

I missed Winterfell.

"A Man" still does nothing for me. I found that I couldn't focus on the Arya scenes because I was too distracted by how much Mace Tyrell reminded my the Mayor of Munchkinland from The Wizard of Oz.

• Love 13