Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot / S01.E02: Liza Sows Her Oates

Pilot:

40-year-old Liza (Sutton Foster) passes herself off as 26 to land a job in the field of her dreams. Now she just has to make sure no one discovers her secret. Also stars Hilary Duff, Debi Mazar, Nico Tortorella and Miriam Shor.

This episode has been available on demand since 2/24 so beware that there may be episode discussion in this thread before the episode airs on 3/31.

Liza Sows Her Oats:

While settling into life as a 26-year-old, Liza looks to date someone age-appropriate, and learn to market to a younger audience.

Edited by yeswedo
added episode 2 description

Just watched it on Hulu. Liked it enough to try another episode. Sutton definitely makes and carries the episode. The guy who picks her up in the bar is pretty cute. Interesting to see Hilary Duff again - still sounds/acts/looks the same as 8-10 years ago, which is impressive.

I find it interesting that both Hilary Duff and Debi Mazur have cooking shows on Cooking Channel. It's the only place I've ever seen either of them on TV.

The pilot I watched On Demand was 22 minutes long, yet the guide says the pilot is an hour. Did I get an abbreviated version?

I watched the pilot on demand and really enjoyed it but i won't give away any Sutton Foster has some really great expressive eyes. I wasn't certain I'd like Debi  Mazar as her lesbian best friend but I liked her character very much. Sutton Foster and Nico Tortorella were live on Today New York this morning, he had bright green hair. For some reason, I didn't like him that much during this live TV interview, he seemed a little immature. Nor did I become instantly comfortable with his character on the series either. Hilary Duff co-stars and is believable as a super-ambitious working girl in her 20's. The wide age-range of the actors provides some humerous moments that does a good job at illustrating the generation gap between 26 and 40.

There's some very funny situations and lines. I'll watch the premiere tonight but I don't know how long they can carry on with this scenario and still make it believable and funny.

I'll watch the premiere tonight but I don't know how long they can carry on with this scenario and still make it believable and funny.

I think that's my major concern. It's a cute premise (and as a now-42-year-old who went back to school for a new career over the past 4 years you can bet I relate to trying to dive into a job market filled with men and women much younger than me), but it feels more like a romantic comedy movie premise than a TV show. Mainly because after a while in a TV program it would seem impossible to keep up the lie without losing integrity. The more she lies to people, the harder it would be for us to root for her because she's keeping something important from people. Not necessarily the ones she works with -- who cares how old or young you are as long as you're able to do the work? -- but the ones she has important relationships with, the ones she has romantic relationships with, that's where the lie starts to become unfair.

So I'll definitely check out the show, but I wonder about how long they can keep this up without us starting to dislike the lead character for perpetuating the lie when multiple opportunities will likely come up where she could come clean without any major repercussions.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4

I watched the pilot on demand and really enjoyed it.  I'm around Sutton Foster's age, so the generational humor rings true for me.  Looking forward to seeing the next episode.  I will say that I was disappointed in how much grown-up humor there was, because I wanted to be able to watch this with my 11 year-old daughter, but I just can't.  Regarding the locker room scene, I like how her response was "I was in India for 3 years!"

• Love 2

I will definitely watch this, but in my mind, Younger is the story of what happens after Michelle from Bunheads entered the witness protection program after presumably having watched Sasha strangle the Ringer from the Nutcracker episode when Franny makes the mistake of inviting her back to the ballet studio.

• Love 9

Think how long it took for the title character on "Hannibal" to have his cover blown. I think someone lying about their age can probably sustain for a while. It also helps that it's... resolutely inconsequential? It's the "Bosom Buddies" or "Three's Company" premise - the stakes for getting found out are pretty low, it's just a hook to get people on board while they set up actual plots and relationships.

• Love 1

I saw the torrent of the pilot a week ago (?) and liked some parts of it.... I will definitely will watch more, but it makes me wonder how many seasons can this show be on with this kinda premise? I kinda have a feeling that maybe not that many people will even know or be intrigued with the show since it's on TVLand.... But, then again, I hardly watch much of actual TV.... I am usually watching torrents of all the shows I watch on my phone so I wouldn't know how heavy the promotional marketing has been.... I did think the tweets that Liza was posting as "Jane Austen" in the modern world were funny....

(edited)

Once in a while, I'll see what's on TV Land, so I think I've seen promos there. But I've seen way more promos on Cooking Channel, where Debi Mazur and Hillary Duff have cooking shows. What a weird crossover!

ETA: Just saw an ad on HGTV - another Scripps Network channel that owns Cooking Channel.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am watching this solely for Sutton Foster. Loved her lots on Bunheads *sniff*(gone before it's time damn it!)  She has great comic timing and flair/charm. And is just so likable.  (she could totally play Lorelai Gilmore 2.0) 

Missed the first ten minutes. So Liza was never in India right? Anytime she mentioned it she sounded like she was lying...so...only her daughter is there right? And she's just using the info her daughter has given her then?

So these two eps.....it was fine, nothing amazing,side splitting or must see tv, but I think I will keep watching....as I said before, just for Sutton.

Foster, who plays Liza, co-stars with Hilary Duff -- as Kelsey, an editor who's in her actual mid-twenties; Debi Mazar, as her best friend Maggie; and Hedwig And The Angry Inch and Swingtown alumna Miriam Shor, as Diana...

Holy shit! That actress who was in Hedwig(playing a guy?) is Diana?! Mind blown.  I would have never guessed it was her.

I find it interesting that both Hilary Duff and Debi Mazur have cooking shows

Do tell, what are their shows called? Really just interested in Mazur's show though. She cooks a lot of Italian dishes with her hubby, I've seen them featured in the NY Daily News before.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2
(edited)

I have the attention span of a five-year-old when it comes to TV, so it's really tough for me to commit to a show, much less a new one.  I have to say, I kind of like this one.  I discovered Sutton Foster through the now-cancelled (too early!) Bunheads.  Her acting style reminds me of Lauren Graham's, which can't be a bad thing.  I'll stick this out for a couple more weeks.  (God, I miss Gilmore Girls.)  

I also didn't get the Wisconsin joke, but I'm two years behind Foster's character, so I didn't expect to get it.  As for the cooking shows, Debi Mazar's is called Extra Virgin and it's actually Hilary's sister, Haylie, who has a cooking show.  That one is called Real Girl's Kitchen.  Debi's is pretty good, but Haylie's?  Eh.  Way too much filler crap and not enough cooking.

Edited by SuzyLee

I liked it but... what was with the odd nudity / bush jokes. Was this supposed to air on another network? Do people really pull their shirts off during lunch?

I enjoyed Josh.  I was also confused by the daughter. At the end of the pilot we have this big scene of her wanting to come home, next episode, no I want to stay. Um, ok.

• Love 1

My take on Wisconsin is that it's the local version of Brazilian, maybe? (as in waxing?)

It was cute - I didn't like the second ep as much as the first but I'm willing to give it time to find its feet and grow. Her strange eye shadow annoys me (why? who knows?)

• Love 1

I was optimistic because of Darren Star and Debi Mazur.  Not sure yet what I think.  I've never seen Sutton Foster in anything other than Bunheads commercials...I suppose she's cute and neurotic -- not exactly a fresh premise.  I'm 45 and I'm well aware of who Lena Dunham is -- are we to believe she's just extra out-of-touch because she's been a SAHM for 18 years?  I'm not sure whether to be a bit offended by the portrayal of a 40-year-old who can barely tweet or a 43-year-old boss who's a jealous uptight asshole.  Do 26-year-olds actually dress like that for professional jobs?  I'm marginally encouraged by the prospect that Hillary Duff's character may actually have some depth.

• Love 3

I love Sutton so I'm watching for her, and I was most charmed by Liza and Maggie's friendship. It felt very real and they had a nice chemistry. I'm nearly 40 and while I'm usually all about identifying with younger characters, I have to say I found Kelsey rather annoying. I hope they make her more of a well-rounded human rather than being there to be condescending/know-it-all-ish. All the twitter is awful jokes felt so old/cliched too. Blegh.

• Love 1
I'm 45 and I'm well aware of who Lena Dunham is -- are we to believe she's just extra out-of-touch because she's been a SAHM for 18 years?  I'm not sure whether to be a bit offended by the portrayal of a 40-year-old who can barely tweet or a 43-year-old boss who's a jealous uptight asshole.

I was insulted by this as well. Forty year olds don't know how to set up a twitter account, or don't know who Lena Dunham is? My mom, maybe, but not me and not the 40-somethings I know.

• Love 6

The "how do you set up a twitter account"? doesn't bother me so much, because she didn't whine about it - she just looked it up and did it. The bottom line is she's competent at her job, which I can appreciate.

But the waxing question - I just wanted to slap those twirps. This fad is as dumb as the "low hanging pants" fad of a couple years ago.

• Love 5

The best I could come up with for the Wisconsin joke was the state's shape. I don't know.

I was checking out the dining room chairs in Maggie's loft. I don't like the fabric, though. There's a whole Pinterest page about the loft but since I don't have a Pinterest account, the page is annoying to look at.

(edited)

Maybe "Wisconsin" as in "polar opposite of Brazilian"? 

As Jillybean noted upthread, I also appreciated that Hillary Duff's character seemed career-focused, self-assured and intelligent - they could have gone "fluffy" with her and I'm glad they didn't. The scene where she fetched her boyfriend a beer was interesting - something that could be chalked up to generational differences but I like that they didn't hit us over the head with it.

Edited by girlplease
  • Love 2

Oh good Lawd!  Has any show in the history of TV ever been more fiercely shoved down our throats??  I'm pretty sure they started advertising it in November and it just  premiered last night.  I was half sick of it before it ever aired.  But it was pretty good, but implausible.  I worked in HR for years and the I-9 form (in which Americans have to prove their citizenship and/or worthiness to work in the good ol' USA) requires two forms of identification (or only one if you have a passport).  Disproving her fake ID would have been easy.  If it was that easy I would have done it years ago. Was that out loud??? Ahem.....

• Love 1

I was optimistic because of Darren Star and Debi Mazur.  Not sure yet what I think.  I've never seen Sutton Foster in anything other than Bunheads commercials...I suppose she's cute and neurotic -- not exactly a fresh premise.  I'm 45 and I'm well aware of who Lena Dunham is -- are we to believe she's just extra out-of-touch because she's been a SAHM for 18 years?  I'm not sure whether to be a bit offended by the portrayal of a 40-year-old who can barely tweet or a 43-year-old boss who's a jealous uptight asshole.  Do 26-year-olds actually dress like that for professional jobs?  I'm marginally encouraged by the prospect that Hillary Duff's character may actually have some depth.

I really got confused about her not knowing about any cultural references - I'm 56 and I knew them, and have had a Twitter account for years, know who Lena Dunham is. The "bush" stuff cracked me up - yes, I know the younger cultural preferences, but I came of age in the hairy 70s. Probably not fun enough to keep watching, but not a bad show.

• Love 1

My dvr missed the pilot but I saw ep 2 and it's okay.

I am just worried because I am a month shy of my (first) 29th birthday and I totally feel like I relate to the 40 year old character a million times better than the ones who are supposed to be my age...(except I can tweet and hash tag lol)

anyway I love me some Hilary Duff so I'll keep watching.

• Love 4

I'm a big fan of Sutton Foster from her Broadway roles and followed her on "Bunheads" too. She is probably one of the few actresses who could actually pass for mid 20s (though early 30s is probably more believable).

The lack of knowledge about popular culture is too much. She does have a teenage daughter. Does she not talk to her daughter about stuff? Every teen seems to have a twitter account.

I find it interesting that both Hilary Duff and Debi Mazur have cooking shows on Cooking Channel. It's the only place I've ever seen either of them on TV.

I was curious so I did some research. I don't believe Hilary Duff actually hosts the cooking show. (Google is telling me that it's called "Real Girl's Kitchen.") It's her older sister, Haylie, who really hosts it. I guess Hilary appeared on it a couple of times.

• Love 1

This has potential, so I'll keep tuning in for awhile.  It had a lot of "only on TV" moments, like a woman who is going to lose her house in a week can afford a whole new wardrobe?  Okay, sure.  At least throw in a line about raiding her daughter's closet that she left fully stocked before traipsing off to India or something.

Also, Nico Tortorella is ridiculously attractive and I will probably keep watching as long as he's on my screen.  

Thanks for the clarification on the H. Duff sisters. I'd never seen either of them before, except the one who has the Cooking Channel show "Real Girl's Kitchen". When I saw the blonde on this show, I swear she looked exactly like her sister - fungible. :-}

(edited)

This was bad. I really can't stand shows when the dialog is so contrived that I can just hear the writers trying to be clever. People just don't talk that way in real life. Plus how can pretend to be 26 when most large companies do background checks, see you license, and ss card, and can easily find the truth online as well?

Plus I'm 40 and I use YouTube, know Twitter and instagram, and know Lena Dunham, and I don't have teenage kids. Or maybe I'm just really immature for my age.

Edited by Laurie4H

I know they showed a fake ID being made up, but I'm pretending that it's just her little office circle that thinks she's 26 and that HR knows her real age but doesn't know anything weird is going on and doesn't interact with that division.

• Love 3

Heck, guys, do you really not know any 40 year olds that don't know twitter, pop culture, etc.? No need to read that much into it, especially since, as someone else mentioned, she seemed like she picked it up quickly. My 32 year old sister is pretty clueless herself about that stuff. It happens. I'd like to hear what she has been doing since she quit her last job beyond rearing a child, but it's only the first episode.

Anyway, I was able to see Sutton Foster in Violet last year and I will love her forever for that performance alone, though I've enjoyed her in other things over the years (including my beloved Bunheads, gone too soon!). I will pretty much follow her anywhere now, even TV Land, so I'm in it for the long haul here. I'm not going to worry too much about longevity, especially because this season is only going to last 12 episodes. If it were a network sitcom with 22 episodes to fill, maybe, but the shorter season should help.

I'm sorry, I know I'm immature, but all the references to her bush cracked me the hell up.

• Love 2

I know they showed a fake ID being made up, but I'm pretending that it's just her little office circle that thinks she's 26 and that HR knows her real age but doesn't know anything weird is going on and doesn't interact with that division.

Yeah, that's what I figured once I thought about it more.  You only have to show the documentation to the HR people - unless your boss is in HR, you generally don't show it to them.  And since she did get a degree at Dartmouth, they probably just did a background check to confirm that she did in fact graduate.  So, I can explain that away.

I too didn't really get the Wisconsin joke...I wondered if maybe the state is known for it's forests/trees/bushes or something?  But probably not.

• Love 1

The whole business of not knowing today's cultural references really ticked me off. I'm 60, have had a Twitter account for years, I watch Girls and Orange Is The New Black, I stream Hulu and Netflix and all the rest. We who are over 40 are not stupid.

The bush reference come directly from Sex and the City, where their writers, who are involved in this show, used bush references a lot, usually with the Samantha character. I remember one where Sam found a gray hair down there, and she refused to pull it out because "five more come to its funeral". So, she dyes it, bright red, and moans that she's "Bozo the bush". There were also frequent references to traveling to Brazil, and when Carrie complained that the technician took all the bush, and she claimed to be freezing cold. These particular male scribes seem way too interested in that part of the female anatomy.

I used to live in Wisconsin, and I didn't get the Wisconsin joke. The only thing I could think if is Wisconsin is freezing cold, and you might want more coverage than in Brazil, where it's stifling hot.

who cares how old or young you are as long as you're able to do the work?

That's part of the whole premise of the show. It shouldn't matter, but in a lot of cases, it does.

The lack of knowledge about popular culture is too much. She does have a teenage daughter. Does she not talk to her daughter about stuff?

I thought some of Liza's ignorance was unbelievable, too. Does she not read? Lena Dunham is all over the place, even if you've never seen Girls.

I don't think the show has quite figured out the cultural-knowledge gap. 

I'm sorry, I know I'm immature, but all the references to her bush cracked me the hell up.

Same here. And I'm from Wisconsin, so I got an extra chuckle from that.

I think Sutton Foster is selling the hell out of this, but the writers need to sharpen the premise a bit. It can't just be "oldz reenters the modern workplace and lulz ensue."

• Love 1

I'm originally from Wisconsin, and that remark made me eyeroll. What, women from Wisconsin go full bush? We've never heard of a razor or a waxing because we're not from California or New York City? Give me a break.

I'd take offense to Liza being completely clueless about social media, but I'm 42 and while I am familiar with most social media, I'm not on all social media (and don't care to be, and don't have time to be) so I suppose that would make me a little clueless, at least in regard to immediately knowing how to set up every kind of option out there.

But anyone who's ever paid any attention to a magazine cover, even just standing in line at the checkout counter, or watching the news, or noticing headlines in the sidebars online when you're checking email or looking up something, would know at least general information about who's popular these days. Not even knowing the name Lena Dunham seems pretty far-fetched. I feel like the writers of this show are in their 30's and 40's and thinking of their own parents who would be more inclined to not be into social media or up on the latest names in celebritydom. I really don't think it's fully accurate about today's 40-something woman. Or, as some have already demonstrated in this thread, even today's 50 or 60-something woman. More and more people are online and connected to media. So I hope they keep showing her picking it up relatively quickly and not make it a huge running joke that she's clueless about mainstream popular culture. All she'd have to do is pick up a magazine or two.

That said, I thought it seemed like a cute show. I like the characters, especially Liza, her friend Maggie (Debi Mazar), the tattooed neighbor/date, and Liza's new colleague played by Hilary Duff (it's Hilary right? Her sister is Haylie from the Food Network or Cooking Channel show?). The boss is a little caricature-ish, but I like that she's using Liza's ideas and those ideas are helping Liza to build up and be successful in her new job. The only big issue I have is feeling like the other shoe is always going to drop, and someone's going to find out that she's 40-something and *gasp! the horror! she's 40! oh no! that's hideous!* I hate feeling secondhand embarrassment, and I like her relationship so far with Tattoo Guy (sorry, I forget his name) so I would hate for that to be ruined because she's older than him and because she's been lying about it.  *sigh*

Loved Sutton on Bunheads. She is plays someone who passes themselves off as 26?  She doesn't look 26 or anywhere near 26 to pass herself off as that.  She looks good for her age but she looks late 30's so I just don't get the premise of the show. Using stupid stuff like twitter.  Really a Lena Dunham mention (like Bieber I don't get her attention - go away already and take Bieber too). I like Debi Mazur in this but Hillary is just like Haley - awful.  Oh well a show not meant for me.

(edited)

Having watched the 1st two episodes again, I guess the city I live in is unnecessarily strict when it comes to background checks.  Unless you have a perfect past and perfect credit and tell the absolute truth on everything, you are screwed. Fast food seems to be the only local places that do not run extensive background checks.  When I worked in HR, every employee had those checks ran on them, and one mistake could disqualify a potential employee from being hired. And lying on anything - including the dates worked on your resume?  Bye!!   I often heard applicants lament that yes, they made a mistake in their 20's, paid for it and now years later they can't get a job.  While I sympathized, I didn't make the rules.  So I give the side eye to how easily she faked everything and got away with it, but I get suspension of disbelief.  I am a HUGE Game of Thrones fan after all!

Edited by KYBlonde
(edited)

I really liked the show.  Sutton is very charming and appealing.  I didn't realize that it was created by Darren Star until I saw the credits; that gave me a lot of confidence.  Hilary Duff was so awful on Gossip Girl, yet here she's perfect.  I find that odd.  I get that the love interest is supposed to be attractive, but I just can't find him attractive at all.  I really enjoyed the generational humour.

But the waxing question - I just wanted to slap those twirps. This fad is as dumb as the "low hanging pants" fad of a couple years ago.

I completely agree with the show -- it's not a fad, but a generational difference.  Among the people I know.  This is not something that's just in season for a year or two.  It's more of a way of life.  It's not just women either.

I get that some people think Sutton doesn't look 26 -- but to me, she looks really really young for 40, too.  So somewhere more like 33 :)

I think Lena Dunham is being given too much credit.  Not everyone is obsessed with entertainment news.  I meet people every day that aren't up on celeb news like I am.  I admire the hell out of Sutton's character for not knowing who she is!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

The Twitter joke was kind of funny, but if I recall correctly, Twitter did not start out as a young people's social media deal. That was Facebook and Myspace. Early Twitter users were usually high-powered business or politicians using their Blackberry. Teenagers thought Twitter was boring until it started being used to communicate with celebrities. Then again, Sutton's character wouldn't have been a high-powered executive in 2007.

I thought it was kinda cute, but didn't love it from the first, like I have with shows that I ended up becoming obsessed with (e.g. Buffy, Lost, Veronica Mars).  Liza's cluelessness about current trends and pop culture grated.  I also hope that Miriam Shor get to be more than just an evil boss.  I loved her on GCB, she can be really funny.  I'll at least watch another episode.

This is a tough crowd.  I really like it and will continue to watch.  Silly? Yes.  Somewhat ridiculous?  Yes.  But I knew I wasn't tuning into a documentary.  It is 20 - 22 minutes of mindless fun.  I will say that maybe it should have been designed as a 1-season type of show, which would alleviate the questions of how are they going to keep this going? 

I like the budding romance as well.  As a 40-something-ish woman myself, it is quite the fantasy to have a hot young guy interested in you, and to return the interest!

Sutton Foster is gorgeous, and I loved her gray dress for the date, although her hair was too severe there.

• Love 6

I liked the first two episodes, and yeah it's definitely got that wish fulfillment/fantasy thing going for it along with Sutton Foster, who is very watchable here (I liked Bunheads, too and have seen her on Broadway in Anything Goes).  

It's sort of Sex and the City meets Girls with a little bit of Freaky Friday thrown in.

I'm looking forward to Martha Plimpton as her nemisis, too.

• Love 1

I also hope that Miriam Shor get to be more than just an evil boss.  I loved her on GCB, she can be really funny.

I *thought* that's where I had seen her before!  Just hadn't had a chance to check it out on IMDB.  She's hilarious!

• Love 1

GCB = Good Christian Bitches? I loved that show, and was sad it was cancelled.

As for this show, I find it charming and fun so far. The lead really carries it, although Hilary Duff is quite good too.

While I agree that her pop culture ignorance is a bit over the top, I guess I know people of all ages who are pop culture savvy and those who are pop culture ignorant. I suppose I don't like that the writers imply that being 40 automatically makes you pop culture ignorant.

I also don't like that 20-something hair is loose and wavy and pretty, and 40-something hair is pulled back in a severe old-timey librarian bun. Someone mentioned her having enough money to buy a new wardrobe, but she commented that she was tired of wearing cheap thrift store crap (to dress like all the young kids do, I guess).

I will give the show credit that, even though she was woefully stupid about pop culture, she picked it up quickly and came up with some savvy ideas, like Topless Tuesday to promote the book.

One thing that wouldn't work is eliminating her online presence after she was hired. Most businesses google prospective employees before hiring.

• Love 3

I was insulted by this as well. Forty year olds don't know how to set up a twitter account, or don't know who Lena Dunham is? My mom, maybe, but not me and not the 40-somethings I know.

Yeah I'm 56 and I know how to set up a Twitter account and have known since 1997 what IRL means, having hung out in early chat rooms (IRC anyone?).  In fact, I haven't even heard anyone use that acronym in a long time.  I thought that was kind of older terminology.  Some of the age comparisons remind me of someone much older than 40 comparing themselves to millennials.  Because of that some of it doesn't quite ring true for me.  Plus, as young as Sutton Foster looks with the hair and makeup I still don't buy her as a 20 something.  Maybe a 30 something.  And all I could think about is that anyone could find out her real age online in about 2 minutes.  Again, makes me think the writers themselves are a lot older than 40 because who watching this show wouldn't think of that right away?  Still, I'm willing to suspend disbelief for a while longer to see how it goes.  I only watched episode 1 so I could go either way at this point.

Edited by Snarklepuss