Season One is currently on UP, and is my favorite season. The show seemed more grounded in reality and was a drama (with some funny moments), and less with the quirky whimsy of later seasons. I think it did such a great job in setting up the characters, relationships and conflicts of later seasons (esp the Lorelai/Chris/Luke triangle) and the Emily/Lorelai/Rory inter generational dynamic.
However there are a few things they mention that are contradicted in later seasons.
- Jackson's last name. He introduces himself as "Jackson Melville" to Christopher but in later seasons he's Jackson Belleville? Does anyone know why this was changed?
- Lorelai saying she never ate apples except when she was pregnant. I forget which S1 ep, but she is seen slicing a red apple in the kitchen. It doesn't look like she's doing it for Rory.
- Luke was always ranting about the unhealthy food he serves but willingly ate a Oreo smore when April gave him one in Season 7 (believe it was an outtake) I will forgive that one since it was a deleted scene and April made Luke lose a few brain cells.
- Speaking of April, when exactly did Luke date Anna? If April was 12 when she came to him in 2005, she was born in 1993 and Anna must've left Luke when she was pregnant, so either 1992 or 1993. He was with Rachel during 1994-1995 (5 or 6 years from 2000-2001) at least and it was very serious. Given what we know about Luke, I can't see him getting seriously involved with someone so soon after Anna left him. The way that Sookie and Miss Patty talked about Rachel, it seemed like Luke was with Rachel for several years, not just one or two. My point is Anna/April was a retcon to create drama for Luke and Lorelai.
- Dean's motorcycle (1996 Indian). Did we ever see Dean on that motorcycle?
- Sookie's clumsiness - this was a theme through season 1, but it was dropped later on.