Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Run

thewhiteowl

Because she fell apart once she realized she hadn't escaped.  She just stood there like a zombie giving up instead of at least trying to fight this guy.

I think this makes sense,  yeah not in a satisfying watching tv way... but in what might actually really happen way. The realization that she was still trapped, after the adrenaline high of feeling that she'd fought herself free of her ordeal must have been crushing in it's disappointment.  This on top of who know really how long she's been there, having witnessed & been the cause of her neighbor's death, having been played by Ian etc. etc.  There is a wall that people hit. 

Sure it would have been cool if she had gone all She-Ra woman of power and fought etc, etc.  but if she had people would be ridiculing the reality of that as well.  Also all he needed was to have her alive and speaking.  He had the upper hand in strength etc. he could have easily broken a limb or something and she'd be in worse shape than she already is.  She can't win here.

I do think the  episode had a lot flaws.  For instance, they were 100% sure exactly how Jake would react and planned for that completely so they had a fake car all ready to go.  But from the looks of it, they had to have had all the surveillance equipment set up in that woman's apartment before Olivia called Jake to come over.  And yet, they couldn't have been in that woman's apartment too long because her absence for any length of time would be noticed and she appeared to only have just been taken hostage herself.    So it felt very slick like something that had been planned for a very long time, but the timing and execution of it seems to have too easily  accounted for random factors that they could not have predicted would happen but actually did happen.

Also, Olivia should have been more suspicious of Ian.  And his presence and her admission felt unnecessary since they already knew she was important enough to kidnap in the first place.

So yeah, a lot of flaws eps. of logic.  But I have to say that Olivia's actions and reactions don't strike me as one of them.

But like I said above, I actually liked the episode. It felt like the writers wanted to do something a little risky and i think is paid off.

My husband at the start of it called it.  He said "Looks like Scandal wanted to do a bottle episode."

• Love 3

I knew Ian was in on it.  But I didn't call the fake location.  I thought it was a pretty boring episode and didn't really move much forward. The winter finale was Olivia was kidnapped to manipulate the president. Now we learn she was kidnapped to manipulate the president.

Wow. Groundbreaking stuff.

Poor neighbor lady! First she has to deal with people coming at all hours of the night pounding and screaming at Olivia's door, then having to deal with Secret Service agents outside her door whenever the President drops by, and then she dies a horrible death so Olivia can be taken. Actually, I think she is behind the kidnapping so she can get a nice, quiet tenant in Olivia's apartment. 

• Love 14

And here I thought everyone would be happy seeing a woman actually save herself.

Silly me.  There's even whining over that.

Donny Ketchum, I adore Shonda Rhimes' shows. I realize this might get me laughed out of the forum, but she writes more realistically about women and their lives than any writer I've ever seen. Women are constantly the heroes, in their flawed, messy, destructive glory. I was cheering her so loudly when she smacked down that Variety tweet about how they called her shows "female dramas" and how that standard doesn't to men.

But this didn't work for me in the same way the Grey's Anatomy shooting episode didn't work for me. Other than Olivia figuring out the lackeys couldn't hurt her, there was just nothing uniquely "Scandal" about this hour. Olivia didn't stage a press conference, negotiate a plea deal or use her incredible knowledge about men and how to manipulate them to save herself. She used her cleverness, but it was mainly Stock Action Hero stuff. You could've inserted any character in Olivia's place who had a brain in their head and the outcome would've been the same. An African-American woman action hero is great for representation, but that could've been anyone. Why did it have to be Olivia Pope?

The concept completely overtook the character, and Shonda Rhimes is so good at writing characters and dialogue. She thinks this is her finest hour? Olivia, Jake in his skivvies, a fake house in Vermont and a few cardboard cut-out lackeys? Shonda Rhimes, whose writing has brought me to tears, made me feel and think and examine relationships and all the crap women have to deal with professionally and personally, and still stay true to themselves and not some guy -- and she thinks her finest writing hour ever, after 11 distinguished years of network television, Emmy nominations and a few movies is "Stock Action Hero Hostage Situation?"

If Shonda was watching a character say that on one of her shows, I hope she'd be screaming at the television.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 6

I hated it; bored to death with it.  I'll wait till this stuff is over before tuning back in.  

I had such high hopes for this season and now it is back to my who really gives a shit show.  If they can right this show and make it the show it was the first couple of seasons, I will be back then.

• Love 1
So the whole point of that was to get Olivia to say that the President would do anything to save her?  One, saying it doesn't make it true. Two, you would have to already be privy to that to know to kidnap her. Dumb.

Exactly.  This is the plot hole you can drive a truck through.

Just having one guy Olivia didn't see was enough to know that Ian was the man in charge.   Not to mention a roommate when there were a bunch of cells.

Yep.

I thought the location was staged but didn't pick up on Ian. Interesting twist.

I'm the opposite. My sister called the Ian thing immediately.  I kept fixating on why Olivia kept jumping up to see out of the window instead of simply asking her cellmate to boost her up to see where they were.  Now I know that didn't happen because it would have spoiled the surprise.  I hate when writers put characters in obviously contrived situations or make them act ridiculously stupid just to get to their "surprise" ending. My only surprise was that Shonda thought this episode was a good idea.

• Love 5

This is one of those polarizing episodes that will be full of loves and hates with very few mehs. despite the fact it was one big mindfuck I thought it was great and very Shonda Rhimish in all the ways I love her., I get why people won't like it though. It is also all the things that piss people off about Shonda Rhimes

• Love 3

This eppy did answer one question.  Olivia claimed to choose herself, but we now know for sure that's a lie.  She chooses Fitz..  It's Fitz and Vermont every time.  Stupid Jake. 

(That Vermont estate was the bomb; gorgeous house, gorgeous grounds, gorgeous dog, and GORGEOUS hair! I'd take it.  She can keep Fitz though)

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 5

This is one of those polarizing episodes that will be full of loves and hates with very few mehs. despite the fact it was one big mindfuck I thought it was great and very Shonda Rhimish in all the ways I love her., I get why people won't like it though. It is also all the things that piss people off about Shonda Rhimes

Chaos Theory, would you elaborate, please? I love Shonda Rhimes, but nothing about this hour reminded me of her. I also thought her most common critiques were too soapy, melodramatic and relationship-driven -- and this episode was none of those things, to me.

• Love 1

Chaos Theory, would you elaborate, please? I love Shonda Rhimes, but nothing about this hour reminded me of her. I also thought her most common critiques were too soapy, melodramatic and relationship-driven -- and this episode was none of those things, to me.

I thought It was incredibly soapy and relationship driven. But maybe in an opposition way. Dream Abby actually asked Olivia if she actually loved either guy she fantasized about. Then there was the "I am woman I don't need no stinken man! I will dance by myself." Thing I love about Rhimes which was prevalent in the episode. The epusode lacked a lot of the soapy stuff because none of the more scene chewy characters were missing but still.... Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

My response was basically "Huh?" afterward. There were a frillion plot holes. Why wouldn't she open the window in one bathroom visit and flee in another, why would she drop the gun, she didn't really give her captor new info because he'd have to know she was Somebody to want to take her in the first place. And re: the preview, no one goes to war based on blackmail, as someone said.

I did like Dream Abby being like, um, Fitz totally has kids, where they at?

The scene that freaked me out though? Was Liv in a body bag UNDER her neighbor's dead body. [shudder]

• Love 4

That was the best acting I've seen Washington do this whole series.

I think I'd be even worse than Olivia at making jam because when Abby asked about an oven, I thought, "Why would you need an oven to make jam? It's just fruit! It's cold!" 

• Love 5

The scene that freaked me out though? Was Liv in a body bag UNDER her neighbor's dead body. [shudder]

Yeah, that poor lady.  I guess it would be too much to hope for that the whole ordeal will make Olivia finally realize that Fitz is so not worth all the pain, suffering, and innocent lives that have been taken/ruined because their toxic relationship -- still would be awesome though.

The Vermont fantasy made me throw up in my mouth a little.  That poor fantasy dog, being stuck with Fitz and Olivia as owners.  Animal cruelty!

Though I did love Abby being the voice of reason.  I too cannot believe Olivia would willingly give up her career to make jam.  *rolls eyes* Oh if only Abby would resign just to tell Fitz to fuck off and give him a good kick to the balls.  Now THAT would be must-see TV.

• Love 7

Well, SR is certainly trying hard to get KW that elusive Emmy. I think KW's got a long ways to go to get in Viola Davis' league though.

I seriously don't understand why there needs to be a comparison/competition between the two. They are the 2/3 African-American leading ladies on a tv landscape that's filled with white faces and instead of celebrating that people would rather use every opportunity to elevate one while putting down the other. smh

Anyway I enjoyed the episode while seeing the Ian thing the moment she woke up in the cell. The warehouse part did get me though and I thought Abby asking her if she was in love either man was a pretty interesting question and I hope it leads to the resolution of that horrible triangle.

Edited by allyw
  • Love 9

Why wouldn't she open the window in one bathroom visit and flee in another, why would she drop the gun,

The slide was back on the gun I believe, which indicates that it's empty. Which begs the question, why does the bad guy have only ONE bullet in his gun????? Was he out target shooting and then remembered that he needed to bring Olivia to the bathroom and figured he didn't need to re-load????? Did they figure that Olivia wouldn't dare try to grab their guns to try for a daring escape????? Is the bad guy just an idiot???

• Love 1

I enjoyed Abby's snarky, "And really, jam? Do you even know how to turn on an oven?" And the whole bit about the prez going all Wallis Simpson for her (not quite the right way to reference it, but still) and how the paparazzi would be staked out 24/7 if he did. Heh.

I did, too. Other than that, I hated the whole fucking thing and fast-forwarded through 90 percent of this awful episode.

• Love 6

I loved it! Thought it was very suspenful but i did wonder why they had her in a cell with that guy. She should have not dropped the gun & shot his ass.

Why didn't Olivia just shoot the guy at the end? Didn't she still have the gun?

Olivia dropped the gun on the floor after shooting the main captor guy, which was very, very, very stupid, but I can't really judge a person in that extreme situation.

yes yes yes! This is my beef with every crime show i watch! never drop the gun! or when you kill someone, take their gun!!!

I kept waiting for her to say "Do you know who my father is? And although right now he hates me, he's going to have you for breakfast when he learns you took me."

Are we supposed to believe that Andrew and Portia RNC are powerful enough to operate their *own version of B613??

I did predict Ian was a plant; did not predict he was the leader. (i thought for sure when she burst through the red door she'd be on a ship in the ocean, a la Sydney Bristow)

This eppy did answer one question.  Olivia claimed to choose herself, but we now know for sure that's a lie.  She chooses Fitz..  It's Fitz and Vermont every time.  Stupid Jake. 

(That Vermont estate was the bomb; gorgeous house, gorgeous grounds, gorgeous dog, and GORGEOUS hair! I'd take it.  She can keep Fitz though)

I was giving at least a couple of episodes for Olivia to be about Fitz.( You surprised me Shonda!) I just rolled my eyes when she was spewing out that crap to Jake about choosing me. Whatever, Olivia.

Even in her fantasy she was all about Fitz. Jake risked his life saving her ass, and she didn't give him a second thought after that. If he new who she really wanted to be with, he probably would have let her rot in that cell. LOL. Glad Abby called her out on her selfish shit. (Even if it was a fantasy.) LOL.

• Love 2

They killed Aunt Ruda from In the Heat of the Night. Somebody needs to pay for that.

I'm no more into Black Homeland than I was into Black Alias but KW did some fantastic work in this episode. Even in ridiculous circumstances Liv is so much better when she's not focused on a man.

• Love 3

But her subconscious in the form of Abby is telling her it won't work. She may think she wants Vermont but this was the end of the Vermont fantasy. And the dog was Amanda Tanner's dog that Fitz gave her. The whole fantasy was shot through with unease, from Tom being there, Abby reminding her of the fact that she can't just ignore Fitz' other family, etc., and the fact that Fitz lied to her from the beginning of the series. (the dog was confirmed by Kerry on Twitter and teased beforehand)

• Love 3

And re: the preview, no one goes to war based on blackmail, as someone said.

In fairness, Olivia will not be the official reason Fitz declares war. They will no doubt come up with some nice little cover story, like the rebels in Zamunda have caused a jam shortage that leads to famine, and Fitz will not let this crime against humanity stand.

As for Olivia saving herself, I might be impressed if not for the fact that the kidnappers practically led her by the hand in her "escape". First of all, there is no reason on earth there would be a separate bathroom. Olivia would have to use the corner of her cell, or a bucket if her captors were feeling generous. And the only way that pipe being used to prop up the sink could be more obvious is if it had a sign on it saying "use in case of escape attempt". The only reason to doubt that Ian intended all this to see if Olivia could escape (and why he would do that, I have no idea) is the fact that it cost him two henchman. Then again, they are henchmen and there are always more where they came from.

But really this was all done to convince people who doubted Olivia's special little snowflake status, and nothing more.

Though it is a shame that Olivia's neighbor, best known to me as Troy Barnes' nana, had to be sacrificed. Though I am hoping her death was faked and she is the true mastermind of this plot. And if there is a God, this all ends with Nana Barnes telling that brat Olivia to get a switch.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 8

Was OK episode up the end after she thought she had escaped, but just gave up. OK, you are escaping from you don't know where and after who knows how long. Finally got the nerve to go for it, even killing a guy to do it, and you just step out of the locked room without a weapon? Not what my move would have been. Keep the gun, bam-bam, bad guy is dead, then you walk out.

• Love 2
I think I'd be even worse than Olivia at making jam because when Abby asked about an oven, I thought, "Why would you need an oven to make jam? It's just fruit! It's cold!"

You don't need an oven, although you do need a stove. 

I cannot hear "I choose me" without thinking of Beverly Hills 90210.

• Love 7
This is the episode Shonda is the most proud of (per a TVLine interview)? Really?

This is also a woman who thought that a musical Grey's episode was a GOOD idea.

WHAT in the ever-loving-fuck was that? Aside from Jake running in his underwear (which was very nice), it was a whole lot of I-don't-give-a-shittery. I want Washington DC, I want politicians doing stupid things that Pope and Associates have to get them out of. I want Mellie snarking and Cyrus plotting. I DO NOT want this bullshit. God, that sucked big time ass.

Limited Scott Foley and Patrick Dempsey makes for an EXTREMELY unfulfilling Thursday night. 

Especially when your cellmate is the child murderer from "Changeling."

And your Alpha guard is a disgruntled Mercy Wester who Shonda is about to kill via gunfire for a SECOND time.  

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6

Ok, way to reinvigorate the show. It was getting really repetitive, Jake/Fiitz who do I pick crap was tired.  I do so love the actor who played Ian. Sure we could nit pick about how he was obviously a plant, and the checking her for a tracking device was convenient, but when you watch Scandal you really have to make a deal with your self not to question or go too deep, it  kills the buzz.

Did Olivia really shot that guy in the head? Perhaps we will find out next week it was staged somehow, because if not then Ms. Pope is now a killer.  When she comes home we can watch her PTSD story line.  Oh the possibilities! Good job Shonda and writers. 

• Love 3

The only way this episode is well written or Shonda's favorite is if every single thing Olivia did was done knowingly,  from telling the cellmate about the Prez, getting caught trying to jimmie the window, complacently walking back to her cell.

Well, Kerry Washington certainly brought her A game this episode.  And we saw Scott Foley in this skivvies.  Lovely.

I did see the twist at the end coming a mile away, though - something similar happened on an episode of Babylon 5.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

I sooo agree with all of this.  I was letdown and then pissed when Fitz appeared in the shower! I know, I know.  Olivia want to make jam in VT with Fitz. I myself though, can't get behind that idea.

This was definitely not the run of the mill Scandal episode, and I kind of liked it for that reason, but I can't say I loved it for reasons that have already stated.  I'd actually love if Fitz decides not to save Olivia (especially since it may not prudent for the good of the country), which will in turn let Olivia know Fitz's true colors, and we can all be done with all the angst over their non-relationship relationship.  

On a positive note, I did think the twist at the end with the fake prison. I didn't necessarily see the prison mate being phony, but I did wonder why Olivia trusted him immediately.  I see her as too smart to get caught in a trap like that.

Big red flag: Ian claimed to have been in the cell for a long time yet the first time we saw him he barely had a 5:00 shadow. Obviously he was the guy Liv never saw in the apartment. There was zero doubt in my mind that it was all staged.

RIP neighbor lady.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

I'd actually love if Fitz decides not to save Olivia (especially since it may not prudent for the good of the country), which will in turn let Olivia know Fitz's true colors, and we can all be done with all the angst over their non-relationship relationship.

I think our choices are between non-relationship relationship and relationship, but its war that is going to drag out the angst.  Olivia would be ok with not starting a war over her.  It would probably convince her that they are healthy enough to be together without destroying the country in the process.  I don't think that will make Olivia think Fitz doesn't love her.  Starting a war over her release, that is a recipe for never-ending codependent angst.  That's why I think Fitz will bomb somebody. 

• Love 1

Starting a war over her release, that is a recipe for never-ending codependent angst.

Hee, I wonder how Ann Landers would respond to a letter written to her for advice in that situation:

Dear Ann,

My married boyfriend (I'll call him POTUS) started a war to secure my release from my kidnappers.  Now that I've made it home, and been home for awhile, he just keeps holding this over my head.  We were happy in the beginning, but now, every time we argue, it always comes back to "Well, I put young men at risk (and many died) by declaring war to save you and you are now angry that I didn't wash the dishes last night?". I mean, how can I win that argument? 

What can I do to fix this Ann?

Signed,

White Hat (currently droopy)

• Love 17

But the "secret" that Liv spilled was inconsequential: the President of the United States won't stop until he finds me. Well, you obviously already knew that or you wouldn't have went to all that trouble in the first place!

I have watched a total of 2 Scandal episodes. The very first one, and this one...when her "secret" was spilled all I could think was "That's it?! Did they really need some elaborate assassin-kidnapping squad and several weeks in captivity to figure that out?!"

I also was happy to see her crying. What really turned me off about the first episode was how judgmental she was about people crying and "showing weakness." Just felt too self-righteous.

• Love 3

I get the feeling that we are in store for a couple of "hatch" episodes.  You know how Lost went to open the hatch and then kept rewinding and telling events from a different perspective while ending at the same place.

I think they, rightly, realized that they couldn't do Olivia held hostage and everyone learns Olivia is gone and starts searching in the same episode and split it up. 

The beginning of this episode (until they got to the cells) was very strong which makes me thing next week will be strong despite the promos.  I tend to think, despite press to the contrary, that Shonda et. all are more interested in the soapiness of Fitz, Jake, and the Gladiators learning that Olivia is gone and trying to get her back.  I know I am.  But they felt they needed to do tell Olivia's side of things.  That had to come first because viewers aren't worried about Olivia.  She's the only one really safe from Scandal twists.  The whole episode felt a bit like it was dragging things out to delay getting to the "good stuff".  Frankly, it was telling that they did the whole Vermont thing because it underlines that they wanted to get to Jake, Fitz, and the Gladiators.  They couldn't go one whole episode with just Olivia isolated from everyone.

• Love 1

I don't understand. What did I just watch? I'm not being facetious. I literally don't know what I just watched.

I don't understand either. Someone wants her for a war? Is she Helen? Is this Troy? What the fuck is going on?

• Love 2

Could that have been any more cliche? A "fellow prisoner" to sympathize with. "Street noise", including a call to prayer, from the outside. An obvious dream sequence, from which she woke up into another. Albeit i was a bit disappointed that Jake didn't join them in the shower for a threesome. The only surprise for me was that Tom was just in the dream. I thought it would turn out that he was the boss and that he had been visiting her while she was unconscious, trying to prompt her into revealing more information.

Disappointed.

• Love 1
I seriously don't understand why there needs to be a comparison/competition between the two.

There doesn't but there likely will be one for the Emmys because that's the kind of Hollywood we still have; in their collective mind, there can only be one Black female actress seriously considered against the likes of establishment favorites Claire Danes and Julianna Margulies. Kerry will be measured against Viola (especially since they're both in SR's "stable") and now I think Taraji P. Henderson will be thrown into the mix because of her work on Empire.

IMO, KW's nominations were largely because she was the only kid on the block so to speak. That isn't the case anymore and clearly she and SR realize that she needs to step up her game.

• Love 1

Hee, I wonder how Ann Landers would respond to a letter written to her for advice in that situation:

Dear Ann,

My married boyfriend (I'll call him POTUS) started a war to secure my release from my kidnappers. Now that I've made it home, and been home for awhile, he just keeps holding this over my head. We were happy in the beginning, but now, every time we argue, it always comes back to "Well, I put young men at risk (and many died) by declaring war to save you and you are now angry that I didn't wash the dishes last night?". I mean, how can I win that argument?

What can I do to fix this Ann?

Signed,

White Hat (currently droopy)

This is the best thing I'll read all day :)

I actually agree that this was probably the best written Shonda Rhimes Scandal episodes.  I don't care that is was fairly obvious that Ian was either going to get Olivia caught or was the guy with the power from pretty early on.  The episode itself was probably the most interesting to watch for me.  It was well written,  well directed and well acted,  

I don't understand either. Someone wants her for a war? Is she Helen? Is this Troy? What the fuck is going on?

I am not sure about the specifics and it would take way to long to explain but the VP and Portia de Rossi have been trying to get Fitz to declare war somewhere but have been unable to do it.  There was even a half assed assignation attempt on the VP which almost worked but  all that did was make Mellie aware of VP's affair with de Rossi's character. which is why I think VP is the one who is paying or De Rossi's character.  They have most to gain from the kidnap and the war.  Plus they are aware of the affair between Fitz and Olivia but not quite aware of how far he would go to save her.    I do like the alliteration (I always did) that at least to two men she is Helen of Troy the face that launched a thousand ship.  The face that would start a war but in this episode Dream Abby outright asked her if she actually loved either of the men who would start a war for her> 

This was a weird episode but I think it was a very well written one.  

• Love 2
I am not sure about the specifics and it would take way to long to explain but the VP and Portia de Rossi have been trying to get Fitz to declare war somewhere but have been unable to do it.

The whole thing is stupid because the president doesn't even have the authority to declare war.  He can tell Congress he wants to go to war, but they have to vote and approve it for it to be official.  Now the President can certainly send troops anywhere he wants, but in that promo Olivia is saying that the demand is an actual declaration of war, which Fitz can't do himself. You'd think the VP and the head of the Republican party would know a little about the Constitution.  Or at least  that the writers of a political-based show would.

You know how Lost went to open the hatch and then kept rewinding and telling events from a different perspective while ending at the same place.

Yeah, I think we'll hardly see Olivia next episode and will just be seeing the reaction to her being gone and the search.  Then it will end with them seeing that video with Olivia that the kidnappers make.

What the crap was that?  

I remember when I really used to like this show.  You know, a show about Olivia Pope...the fixer of all problems DC while at the same time having a smutty affair with the POTUS.  I liked that show.  I miss that show.  I want that show back.  

This show?  Blergh.  

• Love 9

I kinda liked it in spite of guessing both the Ian and the location twist. God those dreams were a welcome relief from the drab set design in the fake prison though! My eyes were thirsty for color.

• Love 2