Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Run

thewhiteowl

Yes.  A completely obvious set up.  They should have had Olivia suspect it in the beginning.  Stating the obvious would have been a better misdirect.

The lady lived across the hall.  That's how they got Oliva out in "25 seconds" without Jake seeing anything.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

I saw that hallucination on the Doctor Who Christmas Special. I kept expecting Santa Claus to show up.

This is the episode Shonda is the most proud of (per a TVLine interview)? Really?

Begrudging points for Olivia not being sexually assaulted (though there sure were a lot of threatened allusions to that effect).

• Love 4

I had totally forgotten that at the end of the last episode, the vice-president had told Fitz that he had to invade or Oliva would be killed. So I kept watching this one trying to figure out who had kidnapped her - thought it was her father. LOL! But I was pretty confident that she wasn't in a foreign country.

Ian being a plant was a safe call from the get-go.

Yeah, Oliva was a stupid bitch to try and go out the window when she had already been in the bathroom a couple minutes. She should have just prepared to open the window. Then the next time, climbed out as soon as they put her in so she'd have the full 5 minutes to make her escape.

The promo - A video of Oliva saying she'll be killed unless the President declares war would be totally useless unless only the President sees it. The Presidents orders wouldn't be followed if everyone knew he was being blackmailed. And then there's the little detail that only Congress can declare war.

But loved it! Scandal's back!

Edited by Isisnin
  • Love 3

Called Ian the minute she was put in the cell. Poor lady next door!

I completely don't understand the end of the episode. I'm not being facetious - I really have no idea what Ian was doing, or what her inner voice was telling her.

I saw that hallucination on the Doctor Who Christmas Special. I kept expecting Santa Claus to show up.

Thank God they didn't kill off Clara!  Sorry, wrong show to get excited about. 

As for this one and what i just saw?  No idea what to say.  Was there a manicurist in one of those other cells?  Because her mani sure stayed perfect.  That's all i got.

Well that was one big crazy ass WTF.

Okay, this sums it up for me, too.  Thanks.

• Love 2

I was really looking forward to the next episode where everyone finds out and deals with Olivia being taken, but the promo really killed it.  I can't deal with the stupid of 'declare war or we'll kill the President's mistress.'

Also, the whole point of this episode falls apart under scrutiny.  Either they know Fitz is obsessed or they don't.  Olivia thinking Fitz loves her and will do anything to find her doesn't make it true, so why bother with the ruse. Dumb.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5

I liked it.  Although I wish Liv were a little savvier about her cell mate.  It seemed so obvious and Olivia really should have known better.  But overall, I liked it.  And I LOVE that Vermont house.  Sigh.

If the Tubeys were still around, I'd totally nominate Liv's underwire for Best Performance by and Inanimate Object.

• Love 20

This is turning into a series of 'and this doesn't make any sense' posts, sorry.

Is there any reason they would care about Olivia being returned unharmed?  Those responsible are willing to blackmail the President into war and are ok with collateral damage but Olivia can't be harmed?  I'm guessing signs of torture would be a good Fitz motivator.

It feels like a plot point just so Shonda doesn't have to explain why Olivia wasn't raped so its easier to get back to the love triangle later.

Note that I want Olivia to be raped, but I'm just saying it convenient.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2

I was so bored.

This show has gone so far from what I originally loved about it. 

The cell mate thing was so predictable, even CW's The 100 did it a few episodes ago.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 7

So the whole point of that was to get Olivia to say that the President would do anything to save her?  One, saying it doesn't make it true. Two, you would have to already be privy to that to know to kidnap her. Dumb.  

It was clearly a set up and it wasn't even clever so I spent the whole episode thinking 'when she kills those guys to escape are they really dead?"   I'm trying to give her the benefit of low blood sugar for not figuring out that if they didn't want her to escape they would have taken her bra when she used the underwire the first time.

Sigh.  I miss my show.  I wanted West Wing x Grey's.  I got General Hospital x NCIS.  :/

• Love 7
Is there any reason they would care about Olivia being returned unharmed?  Those responsible are willing to blackmail the President into war and are ok with collateral damage but Olivia can't be harmed?  I'm guessing signs of torture would be a good Fitz motivator.

I would guess it is because someone who knows her and may even care about  her is behind it.  A woman probably wouldn't want her to be raped so it could be the RNC lady.   I think her father would be too obvious.

Horrible and predictable. Kerry Washington is not a good enough actress to pull off that solo episode. Thank goodness for The Avengers on FX. It got me through most of that suckiness. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

It was clearly a set up and it wasn't even clever so I spent the whole episode thinking 'when she kills those guys to escape are they really dead?"   I'm trying to give her the benefit of low blood sugar for not figuring out that if they didn't want her to escape they would have taken her bra when she used the underwire the first time.

They did surprise me once.  I was sure the gun was loaded with blanks.

I also wonder if next week has some flashbacks and we find out that she really did have a tracking device that they took out when they drugged her before she got to the cell.

I would guess it is because someone who knows her and may even care about  her is behind it.  A woman probably wouldn't want her to be raped so it could be the RNC lady.   I think her father would be too obvious.

Speaking of, I watched mid season finale and I don't really remember it well.  All the actors seem to be talking to the mags like we know who is behind this guy but they also talk like it was going to be revealed this episode.  So, have we seen an episode showing the details of who is responsible or is all of that spoilers?

I haven't seen anything, but I've got $5 on the Veep and another $5 on Mama Pope (yeah, not entirely sure where she is these days). I could be blocking some plot point that rules them out, but, if so, only because Show is filled with WTF boredom moments like Ian.

I did like the jam jars--but I have a thing for jam jars. Not for Fitz, though, feh. Oh and another positive thing: Scott Foley in boxers.

• Love 2

This is the episode Shonda is the most proud of (per a TVLine interview)? Really?

Wow - really, Shonda? Really? I guess she thinks it's incredibly empowering that instead of relying on Fitz or Jake to save her, Olivia saved herself. How inspiring!

Except that she didn't actually save herself, because she was too stupid to figure out that the guy in the cell with her was in on it. But never mind that.

• Love 3

Except that she didn't save herself. Did you miss the ending?

No.  I saw it.  But she thought she had, and she still used what smarts she did have to figure out her situation.  Seems like that's not even enough.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 1

And here I thought everyone would be happy seeing a woman actually save herself.

Silly me.  There's even whining over that.

Don't get me wrong, Abby giving Olivia the pep talk about having to save herself (which was Olivia pulling it together) was what I liked most about the episode.  I like that Olivia tried to save herself instead of just waiting around for Fitz to send Seals after her.

The problem is the sloppy writing.  They wanted certain things to happen so Olivia had to be stupid at critical moments.  Is it so hard for Olivia to threaten the last guy with a gun and one of the remaining three flunkies to make escape impossible?

Ultimately I just didn't find the montage of 'every day is the same' enough to understand why she just gave up at the end.  Its a bad situation, yes, but the whole thing felt like it could have been more traumatic to really sell what they were going for.  I think I'm supposed to believe this is the equivalent of Huck's B613 hole / assassin trauma and I'm just not buying it. 

Although, I do look forward to the Huck and Olivia 'you've got PTSD, I've got PTSD' bonding sure to come.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Yes.  But she thought she had, and she still used what smarts she did have to figure out her situation.  Seems like that's not even enough.

Because she fell apart once she realized she hadn't escaped.  She just stood there like a zombie giving up instead of at least trying to fight this guy.

• Love 2

Someone on Twitter stated that Scandal went all Homeland with this episode. Having never watched Homeland, I can't really speak to that, but this episode didn't feel like a Scandal episode. Of course, I knew I was in for...something when I saw the words "Written by Shonda Rhimes."

Also, I want to know which nail salon Olivia goes to. Her manicure didn't chip at all!

• Love 3

Also, I want to know which nail salon Olivia goes to. Her manicure didn't chip at all!

I must have been expecting something different of this episode because when I saw that scene I was pretty sure someone was going to pluck it off with pliers at some point.

Yes.  But she thought she had, and she still used what smarts she did have to figure out her situation.  Seems like that's not even enough.

What situation did she get herself out of? She's still there.

She didn't realize she was being played by her cell mate.

She told a stranger, hey the POTUS is in love with me.

She didn't realize outside was fake sounds. 

She escaped out the red door, saw how she fell into the trap, walked right into it and then went right back through the red door.

• Love 3

What situation did she get herself out of? She's still there.

I do give her credit for snapping out of dreamland.  And for being observant enough to attempt escape with the window and pipe. The defeatist stuff at the end would have made more sense if the episode were more solidly executed, but I see what they were trying for, that this was all a psychological game to 'break' Olivia.  Its the 'because why?' where it falls apart.  That and the lack of suspicion of her cellmate because I guess that figuring out that the great Olivia Pope got played was what was supposed to break her spirit.  I think they could have come up with a better reason than that.

What would I have done?  Revealed that Fitz's son was alive (Scandal twist) and then whacked him again.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

I guess the way I would have caught everyone by surprise was to actually have Olivia rescue herself, and in episode 2 while everyone is figuring out how to rescue her, she would reappear on her own at the end of the next episode.

• Love 3

I guess the way I would have caught everyone by surprise was to actually have Olivia rescue herself, and in episode 2 while everyone is figuring out how to rescue her, she would reappear on her own at the end of the next episode.

I am not entirely sure that this won't happen.  But then again I think they might do some kind of brain control thing that they reveal as a shocking twist later this season.

No matter how much I google Scandal jam, I can't figure out if there was some kind of Easter egg on those jam labels.  I do know more about various types of jam scandals.  Jam jar scandals.  Traffic jam scandals. Bridge jam scandal.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2
Why didn't Olivia just shoot the guy at the end? Didn't she still have the gun?

Olivia dropped the gun on the floor after shooting the main captor guy, which was very, very, very stupid, but I can't really judge a person in that extreme situation.

Here's another perspective.  I thought the episode was very captivating, albeit sometimes way too scary for me.  This is coming from someone who got so bored/grossed out/fed up with the show that I've missed probably more than a season of it at this point.  So I finally was compelled to watch an episode all the way through in like a year.  For me, that's something.

The cell mate thing was so predictable, even CW's The 100 did it a few episodes ago.

They also did it on LOST, in one of my favourite television episodes of any show of all time, ever.  And yet I still didn't pick up on it.  I never pick up on anything.

• Love 2

I thought the location was staged but didn't pick up on Ian. Interesting twist.

Hope she can survive without her wine...

See, I figured Ian was a plant (thank you, formative years spent watching Star Trek: TNG), but not that the location was staged (at least, once I remembered the Angola/warmongering plot from December). I can't really blame her for bonding with a cell mate in such an extreme situation, but she (obviously) said too much. Though I agree with previous posters pointing out that just because Liv thinks that about POTUS doesn't make it true as far as the kidnappers know, so it's kind of of questionable value.

I was really hoping Jake really had brought a team to rescue her about 3/4 through, because unless it's OITNB I'm not really into solitary/prison arcs. But did like her (mostly) rescuing herself, even though POTUS+Jake make it surprisingly reasonable to sit back and wait for rescue.

Glad it looks like we'll at least get the plot from other perspectives too next week. One character POVs aren't my favorite even when they aren't...unpleasant.

Poor neighbor lady. :-(

Still love that house in Vermont.

Edited by WalrusGirl
  • Love 2

Um. Yeah. Because Olivia would have no reason to think that people in captivity can be manipulated by the person controlling their environment sending someone in to misrepresent the situation, because she hasn't done that to someone herself in practically a whole week.

Shonda, please.

• Love 3

No matter how much I google Scandal jam, I can't figure out if there was some kind of Easter egg on those jam labels. I do know more about various types of jam scandals. Jam jar scandals. Traffic jam scandals. Bridge jam scandal.

It was called White Hat Jam.

I really liked this episode. I thought the first 15 minutes was brilliantly done how they kept showing the same scene from different angles and then adding more detail.

Yes, it's Hostage 101 that your cell mate is in on it and you don't spill your secrets. But the "secret" that Liv spilled was inconsequential: the President of the United States won't stop until he finds me. Well, you obviously already knew that or you wouldn't have went to all that trouble in the first place!

However somehow I thought the guy in charge with the mask was Tom...but he was killed wasn't he? But when we saw Tom in the dream I thought for sure that meant I was right, lol. Oh well, I did think Ian was in on it, but not that he was the head guy, so that was sort of a twist for me.

But the set within a warehouse (I'm assuming it's not supposed to be a Hollywood studio as it actually is), was a really good twist. So I thought awesome beginning and ending and enough tension throughout that I stayed awake. This is my barometer for good TV.

• Love 6

I hated it; bored to death with it.  I'll wait till this stuff is over before tuning back in.

Yeah, me too.  I guess this is the episode that they submit for Kerry Washington's emmy nomination.

Olivia was kidnapped.   The president has to start a war to get her back.

We knew all that already.

• Love 2

For a WTF episode I thought it was good and was clearly meant to be a WTF episode. Papa Pope warned Olivia there were monsters at the gate that he was keeping at bay and clearly this is one of them. Who he is working for his now the mystery.

Olivia always believed it was simply at matter of her chosing the man she loved more. But notAbby asked an interesting question does Olivia even love either of them? Is either life a life she actually wants or able to live?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I enjoyed Abby's snarky, "And really, jam? Do you even know how to turn on an oven?" And the whole bit about the prez going all Wallis Simpson for her (not quite the right way to reference it, but still) and how the paparazzi would be staked out 24/7 if he did. Heh.

• Love 5