Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Ye Who Enter Here

• Start Topic

SHIELD discovers the ancient city before Hydra, but uncovering the secrets may require one of Coulson’s team to make the ultimate sacrifice. Meanwhile, May and Skye race to get to Raina before Whitehall takes her.

• Love 2

"How many of you are there?" That was funny. You think the Koenings (sic?) are like the Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys of the Marvel Universe?

Nice way to lead into the fall finale. SHIELD thinks they have the upper hand, but the forces of Hydra get the drop on them. Oh, and Mack turns into a Kree security system, and he seemingly pays for it with his life. Poor guy.

• Love 5
Guest Accused Dingo

I don't know how the show did it but In a single season the show turned one of the most annoying characters into one of the most interesting.

I wanted to hug both Fitz and Simmons. Those two need to get into sync again.

Rains creeps me out....but in a fascinating way.

• Love 2

This episode proved that Fury was a superior Director beyond a doubt. At least with Fury you went in knowing the probability of getting abandoned in a Hellmouth. Coulson went from "no losses are acceptable" to "shoot Mac - no, seal him up forever" faster than it takes the black guy to die in a horror flick. May should be in charge.

That said, this is probably my favorite episode since Bobby's introduction. It reminded me of Jonny Quest. So many cool moments. And I love the creepy take on what we know originates from the same galaxy as a talking raccoon.

The umbrella cloaking tech was awesome. This is the show I hoped for when Agents of Shield was announced way back when. I can't believe this wasn't the winter finale, because it was almost perfect.

• Love 9

Wait. No. Mack can't be dead right? I love Mack.

I totally thought Biily (Or was it Sam?) was going to shoot Ward. I wish he had. Other then the team, the Koenigs totally have dibs there too. I wonder how many there really are, if there are 13 total, that means there should be 10 other safe houses still to be found right?

Poor Fitz really should have let Simmons talk first. He's going to be a mess without Mack now.

I wonder what Bobbi is up to with Mack...because of Ward I'm super suspicious of comments like the one Bonni made. She'll probably bring Hunter into the fold now that Mack is gone right?

I'm really torn up about Mack. I can't believe that was it. I hope it isn't it for him.

• Love 3

Terrific episode...it's amazing how good this show has become since The Winter Soldier came out.  This was a start to the two-part fall finale.

Definitely loved seeing the multiple Koenig's popping up.

I don't buy Skye being able to fight an experienced agent like that for so long but damn, that was another great fight.  Definitely agree that Skye has done a complete 180 in terms of now being a good character.

• Love 5

Guys, I am giddy! Absolutely stunned with this show. If you told me a year ago that I would be watching Agents of Shield live gasping and/or clapping like a seal, I would have told you that you are crazy. Such an awesome episode. Did anyone else get a little choked up by the way May looked at Skye when she explained that she had to leave with Ward? Any comic book readers know what got into Mack? I think it was like The Diviner but not lethal - just berserker. Hmm is there any Kree/Asgard connections? Also Bobbi and Mack have some kind of secret side deal and the naive optimist in me hopes they are just spying for Fury. Man, it is a bad genre TV week for brothers, huh? First Irving and now Mack. Should I be worried about Hank on Grimm now?

• Love 4

I'm willing to believe that Skye channeled all her anger and pain into training like mad over the "break" and that's why she's gained such good fighting skills. That, and the way the fight was shot, it was clear that while she was obviously trained, she was just barely holding her own against 33. I also liked the interaction between her and May when she told her that she could handle herself. I almost expected her to add, "Thanks to you" both as a nod to May and Screw You to Ward.

I'm really interested in seeing exactly what Ward's endgame is. He's clearly operating on his own agenda.

Edited by AlliMo
  • Love 5

I also liked the interaction between her and May when she told her that she could handle herself. I almost expected her to add, "Thanks to you" both as a nod to May and Screw You to Ward

I liked it too, and I thought so, too! But maybe that little non-verbal communication moment demonstrated just how much Skye has learned following May's lead.

Right now Ward comes off as part evil child services, part Mom's bastard ex-boyfriend. He's still as crazy as a bag of cats but I'm hoping that his Skye fixation will amount to something interesting, surprising and worthwhile. Otherwise he's a waste of screen time. I was so pissed off when he stepped back on the Bus that it made me laugh.

Weirdly disappointed that Raina's making excuses for Skye's "misunderstood" dad after he tried to choke her out and left her at Whitehall's mercy. Here's hoping she's got a few more cards up her sleeve.

• Love 4

Yeah the Raina stuff only makes sense if she's playing them all. I mean she obviously wants to get herself + Diviner into that temple. Now she seems eager for Skye to get there too. Sounds like she's willing to say and do anything to make that dream team happen. But that's what I like about her. Even when she's helpless, in SHIELD's custody, she's not.

• Love 8

The cloaking umbrella?! Shut the front door! That was awesome!  Multiple Koenigs is awesome, along with their dibs on Ward's ass!  The pronunciation of the Kree! Evil May/Agent 33! the Koenigs discussing how freaky that must be while freaking out Trip! Beautiful Puerto Rico! Creepy ghost stories in a cavern- again!  

Good steps forward, but I enjoyed poor Skye's nightmare. That was such a cute BabySkye! My and Coulson as Mom & Dad subtext, not so much. Skye in a flowered dress. Her turning into what everyone else seems to turn into. That bit of melody we are sure to hear more going forward. I hope Skye tells Coulson and May about the dream when the entire guest list shows up.  

As for Mack, he and Bobbi were an item, right? That's what the initial big hug and looks have alluded to with them, correct?  Also, Mack isn't dead, correct? Henry Simmons is a very good actor, as well as a nice person for me to watch during the hour. I'm greedy and don't want to lose any of the team.

Good gravy, Leo and Jemma! Quit being stupid at each other and just get drunk and honest. The awkward isn't killing just Mack!

So much set-up and enjoyed!  It will be a long week until next Tuesday!

• Love 4

I really hope that Bobbi isn't a villain.   After her comments to Hunter a few episodes ago that "SHIELD isn't SHIELD anymore" and her conversation with Coulson about his style compared to Fury's, I'm thinking maybe she's discontented with the post-Fury SHIELD and is either planning to depose Coulson as head of SHIELD or is thinking about starting up her own agency and using Mack to help poach talent.  I really don't want her to go HYDRA.  Not just because I like her, but also because I'd hate for her Big Secret to be a recycled plot line from last season.

I love the way they're handling the Fitz/Simmons plot line.  While it's sad to see them so out of sync, I think the way they're handling Simmons' reaction to Fitz's profession of love is very realistic.  I imagine the survivor's guilt she's likely carrying just makes trying to adjust to the changed dynamics of her relationship with Fitz even more difficult.

• Love 6

I think Raina is making excuses for Skyedad because she found out she's more than human and even though he's cray he's one of her people. That's why she's being all nice to Skye. Plus I think she wants to use them to find their temple and the rest of their people. 

I didn't mind the Skye vs FakeMay fight. To me it looked like Skye was barely holding her own. She got in a few good hits but Agent 33 would've beaten her had whatshisface not shown up. Once again I love Bobbi even though she makes me miss another baton twirling badass. 

I'm hoping Mack's not dead. He looked like he got enhanced so he could maybe survive that fall. I also suppose this will make Fitz and Simmons have to talk more. I also like and hope that they keep Simmons not wanting to date Fitz. Because it still looks like she and Tripp are wanting to be a thing. I know it sucks for Fitz that Simmons loves him but is not in love with him. It keeps it true to life, sometimes you are just a really close friend.

Also loves seeing multiple Koenigs along with everyone's reactions to them. 

Other shows have been disappointing me this season but this show has been improving each episode. This is the only show that i actually look forward to watching live.  

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

I loved the episode, well what I was able to hear of it that is. For some reason when it got to the Raina/Skye conversation clear up to the next commercial all I got was the music. The only voices I heard was Hydra telling the bus they were surrounded. So, I'm totally in the dark about their conversation and the conversation going on in the tunnel. Argh!

• Love 1

Loving this season! I can't wait to see what happens next and where this is going!  The show has certainly come a long way from those first episodes, hasn't it?

Poor Mac! I just hope Fitz doesn't have a breakdown or lose his progress on his recovery due to losing Mac. That would be hard to watch.

I want to know what secret Bobbi is hiding from Hunter and what Hartley being gone has to do about it!

• Love 1

Really great episode. I think it helps that they're not doing the cliche love storylines, like Skye/Ward or even Fitz/Simmons. Skye still hates his guts, even if Ward is doing it for her, and Fitz loves Simmons but she's never thought about him in that way. I interpret Simmons' speech to Bobbi that she loves Fitz, but only as a friend, and she doesn't want to lose him after all they've been through. I really, really hope they keep that going because I love my Fitzsimmons, but I don't want them to be a couple. And poor Fitz; he was making progress, despite what he says, and now Mac, his one stable friend, is supposedly dead. I think he will survive the fall, because he was super charged up. Now how long he'll survive, who knows. I'm just glad Fitz didn't have to shoot him. 

The Raina/Skye scenes were really well done. I like Raina and I like her connection with Skye. 

The fight scene between Skye and Agent Thirty Mae was fine with me, if only because they've shown Skye training, probably really hard, and she didn't really win the fight anyway. 

That dream sequence was creepy in every sense of the word. And seeing multiple Koenigs was awesome. 

Really great set up to next week. I really am looking forward to it.

• Love 5

Aww, damn!  I really hope Mack isn't done for.  I liked him a lot, and how he interacted with not only Fitz, but the rest of them.  He just seemed like a nice guy, and I wanted to know more about what this plan he and Bobbi had cooked up.  I guess there is hope, because we haven't seen the body yet, but that was a long way down!

Fitz and Simmons are so owning me.  There clearly is a lot of issues and it's not always pleasant to watch, but I find it more realistic and emotional then it has any right to be.  Ian and Elizabeth are just so great in these roles, and how they interact with each other.

So.... this isn't good.  Hydra surrounds the ship, and Ward not only takes back Raina, but also makes them bring Skye along.  Against Whitehall's wishes, so it still sounds like he isn't fully on Team Hydra, but has his own agenda.  Still, bring back the other Koeings, and seeing how Ward doesn't seem to give a shit that he killed one of them, isn't making him endearing.  I've now added the Koeing bros alongside Simmons and Skye, as someone I would love to see off Ward.  As I learned from Justified, underestimate Patton Oswalt at your own peril!

So, was Skye's dream sequence suppose to be hinting that she kind of considers Melinda and Coulson to be her parental figures?  Daddy Skye ain't going to like that!

The Skye vs. Agent 33 scene was cool; if not quite as awesome as Melinda vs. Agent 33.  That still was one of the best.

Another good one.  I think this show has turned the corner for good.

• Love 6

Wow, I thought this was the winter finale w/all the action and the fact that Koenings were there.  

I do want to say that I want Ward gone and killed on this show.  He has no purpose anymore to me, he isn't good, he isn't Hydra, he is just obsessed w/Skye.  I really hope she takes him out personally.  I knew as soon as he stepped on the plane that he was there for Skye more than Raina.

I was confused to the Bobbie and Mack scene as well.  I do think it's a given that either Bobbie or Simmons have been mind-controlled and that will play out in the second-half of the season.  I wonder if Mack is still freaked out about Coulson and has/had an exit strategy for he and Bobbie as a just in case, and now he thinks she will drag Hunter along.  I would love w/the references to Hartley we find out she is still alive.  I mean it's freaking Lucy Lawless after all.

I really can't see Marvel bringing forth the Inhumans stuff this early on when the movie is years away.  This has to be a bait and switch for us.

I didn't mind the Skye vs FakeMay fight. To me it looked like Skye was barely holding her own. She got in a few good hits but Agent 33 would've beaten her had whatshisface not shown up. Once again I love Bobbi even though she makes me miss another baton twirling badass. 

Yeah. It looks like she got a few good shots in at first, bit that Agent 33 was starting to kick her as pretty good near the end.

I'm hoping Mack's not dead. He looked like he got enhanced so he could maybe survive that fall. I also suppose this will make Fitz and Simmons have to talk more. I also like and hope that they keep Simmons not wanting to date Fitz. Because it still looks like she and Tripp are wanting to be a thing. I know it sucks for Fitz that Simmons loves him but is not in love with him. It keeps it true to life, sometimes you are just a really close friend.

Lord, please no. I can't stand Tripp. He serves absolutely no propose except to have a poser beard. I'd have to stop watching if they got him together with Simmons. Why would she even be interested in him? He's dumb as a post.

Other shows have been disappointing me this season but this show has been improving each episode. This is the only show that i actually look forward to watching live.

Agreed!

• Love 2

I strongly suspect that Skye was able to hold her own in that fight because she learns at an... inhuman... pace, or possibly she is just faster and stronger than baseline homo sapiens. 

That said, why the heck did they let hydra board the plane? Hydra needs possession of one of Skye or Raina alive to use the obelisk. So as long as both of them are on the plane, they have an actual reason not to shoot it down. Letting them take both of them off the plane is just stupid. Because they're *hydra* they have no reputation for mercy or fair dealing to protect so that moves you from a situation where they have reasons to not shoot you down, to a situation where they got what they wanted and you are now both a loose end and threat to them. Meaning "Target Practice".  Bluntly put, in that situation, you call their bluff. Worst case scenario, they kill you and at least they didn't get the keys to the doomday device! Arrgh. So stupid. And as professional intelligence operatives, absolutely everyone on that plane ought to have seen this logic instantly. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 6

That was amazing. And holy creepy scary with the city and the possessed Mack -- is he dead? I'm holding out hope that he's not dead. Please don't let Mack die. The fight was seriously intense, and really well-done with the cuts back to the scene on the plane.

Also Scary May creeps me the fuck out. They have all that insane technology and they can't fix her face? Fix her damn face!

Raina played you like a fiddle, Skye. And you know it, too. Although I'm pretty sure Skye was insistent on going with Ward because she wants to meet her dad and find out more about herself.

Love Skye and May. It's adorable how protective the team is of Skye when it comes to crazy-ass Ward. First Simmons moving between them, now May.

The multiple Koenigs cracked me up. "How many of you are there?" Lol.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3

Right now Ward comes off as part evil child services, part Mom's bastard ex-boyfriend. He's still as crazy as a bag of cats but I'm hoping that his Skye fixation will amount to something interesting, surprising and worthwhile. Otherwise he's a waste of screen time. I was so pissed off when he stepped back on the Bus that it made me laugh.

I am glad that Ward at least toned down the crazy person cadence he adopted during his one-on-ones with Skye. I guess this was the easiest way for the show to telegraph that Ward was bonkers during his confinement in the Skyebox. Still, even the good doctor Skye Daddy would think Ward's Bob-Ross-on-PCP speech patterns were a bit affected.

• Love 1

Damn it, this is the second night in a row when The Black Guy Dies -

first Captain Frank on Sleepy Hollow

and now Mack. Stop it, you guys!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Mack isn't really dead. Call it denial, but I do not accept this.

To be honest, a lot of the time when I see superhero gadgets I'm not that impressed but I definitely need Sam's umbrella.

• Love 2

Oh no, not Mack! I get a feeling that we will see him again. 

I am not sure if I read this somewhere, so I am using spoiler tags. I think he will be some sort of superhuman now. Just as long as they keep him good.

As for Ward, I hate the character and don't find the actor attractive one bit. For me, he can die very soon.

• Love 1

I don't buy Skye being able to fight an experienced agent like that for so long but damn, that was another great fight.  Definitely agree that Skye has done a complete 180 in terms of now being a good character.

I'm willing to believe that Skye channeled all her anger and pain into training like mad over the "break" and that's why she's gained such good fighting skills. That, and the way the fight was shot, it was clear that while she was obviously trained, she was just barely holding her own against 33. I also liked the interaction between her and May when she told her that shst expee could handle herself. I almost expected her to add, "Thanks to you" both as a nod to May and Screw You to Ward.

For me, the big takeaway from that fight scene is that if you want to be a badass instead of the load, you need to get Melinda May to be your training officer. Not only will she train you right, but some of the awesomeness will rub off on you.

• Love 7

Well, we all know the rules of this kind of show..if we didn't see Mack's dead body..he isn't dead.

So, where can I get one of those umbrellas? I can think of several good uses for it.

Very cool episode, even if I had to keep rewinding it because I was falling asleep (Not the show's fault..I'm usually in bed by 9, but this show made me stay up to watch it live!) That's why I always read the recaps to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

I think Fitz and Simmons had regained a bit of their "finish each other's sentences" mojo by the end, there. I hope they can find their way back to friendship. I like Simmons with Trip..maybe somebody will come along for Fitz. Unless, of course, Simmons is being controlled or something..which, I really hope not!

Edited by Jodithgrace

I forgot to mention but the scene between Simmons and Bobbi was really good.

I wonder just what Bobbi and Mack are up to.

I loved Koenig's umbrella.  We need to see more of that stuff.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

With Mack, if he is alive, I'm thinking the alien tech is using him as physical security system because the rest of them weren't down there for it to kill. Raina is probably telling the truth, only the people with the right DNA can enter the city.

I guess I can go with Skye being Inhuman and that's why she can absorb things at a faster pace (they are supposed to have been enhanced by the Kree). Or May is a really good teacher which I can also buy. But to me it still looked like Skye was losing that fight. 

As for Tripp yes, he doesn't do much. But I'd rather Simmons hook up with anyone but Fitz. I like that even after what they've been through she's still not in love with him. I just want them to keep it that way. I want them to get repair their friendship but that's it. I hope they do bring in someone else for Fitz so he doesn't get all moody and broody when Simmons does hook up with Tripp or someone else. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
Guest Accused Dingo

Skye has always been at her most awesome when she was channeling Melinda May anyway. Remember season 1 when she was kicked off the bus to find Coulson and pretended to be May to get intel and was able to flip the security guy?

May is her SO and I think she takes the job seriously especialy with Ward out there and hydra and Skye's father. When you are being taught by the Calvary you are going to learn a few things.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 4

I'm sure Mack is alive -- in one form or another.

There was a lot to like in this episode : cool tech, multiple Koenigs, Coulson's nerdy side coming out ... they really seem to be trying to make this show happen.

But it also appears they are determined to make Skye happen : the dream sequence, the kung foo fighting, special tech skillz ... I don't really mind the Skye character, but she really does feel forced on you by the show. After Coulson, Skye seems to be lead character, based on how much of the story revolves around her.

Not sure how the ratings will be, though. It's hard to get people to return to watching a show live once they've moved on.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

Skye's post-fight makeup when she was talking with Raina outside in the street looked really fake.  Even Agent May-ty-three's facial makeup looked really bad in natural light as well.

The cloak on the Bus is pretty crappy if it can be defeated by an old school tech tracking device, let alone a device using an old SHIELD frequency.

When Coulson and Morse are walking along that road and entering the gate to the fort, they pass by two tourists -- but when the camera view changes those two tourists are now about 50 feet away.  I'm guessing they are both Hydra if they are that speedy. </snark>

On a completely superficial note, it was difficult not to notice Morse's sunglasses dangling from her T-shirt. I think they need to give her bra manufacturer a supporting credit.

• Love 1

I'm in for a rough time on this show I suspect. Separately I have never been a huge Skye or Ward fan. I'm indifferent to her and dislike him, even before his betrayal. Now everything is going to focus on them. 

I hope my Coulson and May love can cancel out the Skye and Ward silliness.

Edited by Kac11

I really like Mac so I hope he's not dead (or permanently berserk). But if he must be dead, the only good thing that could come of it is that it forces Fitz and Simmons to talk to one another and work on regaining their banter. Without Mac as a buffer, Fitz can't hide anymore. He'll have to talk with the one person who can finish his sentences. I liked that we saw a glimmer of that when Simmons was able to help complete one of Fitz's thoughts and she smiled at him. It was a good start.

• Love 3

I'm so disappointed that Mack may be dead. It's OK to have more than one black character sticking around! He deserved better than to be dropped down a giant hole. Last episode it was Tripp in danger of dying, now it's Mack. Raina better stop being pointlessly enigmatic and watch her back.

I really enjoyed the Simmons and Fitz interaction. They are finally heading towards the difficult conversation they have been avoiding.

I still don't care too much about Skye.

• Love 2

Like others love the cloaking umbrella, so want one for Christmas! Do you think I can get one from Sharper Image?

For me the scariest part of the initial dream sequence was seeing May dressed like a soccer mom. Yikes an image I won't soon forget.

So did Ward just take Skye because he is still obsessed with her? How does he see that working out? They have dinner together and she forgets he is bat shit crazy and a murderer. Don't see that happening wonder what his evil ass is really doing.

• Love 2

Yeah, my feelings about this episode are mixed. On the one hand I love the developments - the umbrella was tres cool, Raina running after Hydra, then the agents being run down, was funny. Mack forcing Fitz & Simmons to talk was nice of him. And I don't know if Hunter's death was foreshadowed when he dismissed Bobbi's 'be careful' with an "it's Canada'. And the dream was typical Joss - I'm sure we'll come back and find interesting things in it later. Well, sorta sure. Coulson giving up on Mack just after his sanctimonious speech about no acceptable numbers - was interesting irony (and typical Coulson). 

Having said that, the episode didn't flow for me very well, I ended up playing on my computer for a bit. I can't exactly say why, but it was a little slow for me. 

As to the content - Mack had better not be dead. Also, a part of me thinks that the May with Whitehall at the end is May Classic, not May33. We'll see. They've gotten me  interested in the next episode at least. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else catch that Hydra had to use Raina to get the Diviner into the temple? Does that mean that other people (Skye's father included) can't take it there? Or perhaps Whitehall has some reason not to want him to take it there, which seems dumb because Skye's father is in the driver's seat on Plan Diviner. For all Whitehall knows the Diviner is going to kill him when it's powers activate.

• Love 1