Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Ye Who Enter Here

• Start Topic

I'm in for a rough time on this show I suspect. Separately I have never been a huge Skye or Ward fan. I'm indifferent to her and dislike him, even before his betrayal. Now everything is going to focus on them. 

I hope my Coulson and May love can cancel out the Skye and Ward silliness.

Speaking of Coulson and May love, there was Coulson's great response to May telling him that Agent 33 still had her face.  "Lucky her."

• Love 3
Guest Accused Dingo

Having said that, the episode didn't flow for me very well, I ended up playing on my computer for a bit. I can't exactly say why, but it was a little slow for me.

Episode spent a lot of time spinning it's wheels. Only so much can happen before the final episode before a couple of movies come out. I liked this episode as a talky calm before everything goes to hell episode. Edited by Accused Dingo

Brings up another question: What was Skye's father doing in rural China with her mother? Did he learn about the Diviner once he got there, or is the Diviner why he went there in the first place? Perhaps he is not Inhuman (or whatever the answer is going to be), but he is trying to learn about them and uncover their powers.

He does. He certainly could have gone to the city to find the Diviner and fell in love with her mother and decided to have baby Skye. I agree that he definitely seems to care for his family and his revenge is very personal. I just find it odd that this white American-accented doctor (doctor of what, btw? surgery?) was living in what's described as a rural village, remote enough that Skye's mother not aging was not discovered by SHIELD or Hydra until Whitehall escaped.

Edited by kitlee625

If Skye's mom had powers I could see the villagers believing she's a god or something sent to help them., so they'd keep her secret. But I could see SkyeDaddy hearing about her and going to China to find her, fell for her and they had baby Skye. Although SkyeMommy appeared to be weak and afraid of the Diviner, so I don't know. I suppose she could've been banished from Attilan or ran away and activating the Diviner could make them find her. 

I don't know when we'll find out about any of this being that the Inhuman movie is slated for 2018 so they can't give away too much of that storyline now. Although introducing us to the Inhumans could help since they are not that well known. Skye and Fam don't have to be part of the Royal family so the wouldn't need to cast anyone for them. 

• Love 2

Well, for the first part of the season we had Fitz talking to imaginary Simmons.  Maybe now he's going to talk to imaginary Mack?

One of the things I was hoping for and didn't get was imaginary Simmons commenting on REAL Simmons.

Edited by Notwisconsin
  • Love 1

On a completely superficial note, it was difficult not to notice Morse's sunglasses dangling from her T-shirt. I think they need to give her bra manufacturer a supporting credit.

Those puppies are so fake the camera person should get an award for skipping the parts where they fall off.

And the dream was typical Joss - I'm sure we'll come back and find interesting things in it later. Well, sorta sure. 

Joss has ZERO to do with writing this show. His brother is the one doing the work and he's no Joss.

• Love 2

I had a feeling Mac would be the one making the promo-ordained "ultimate sacrifice."  There was a chance they'd kill off Tripp after just wounding him last week, but those were my only two candidates.

Really, there was no reason to hand Skye over to Ward.  Quite the contrary -- you know he's not going to blow up the Bus if she's still on it.  It's called "threat assessment," you superspies; look it up.

• Love 3

Well the problem with that is it's not just Ward, it's Hydra. Hydra would definitely kill them if they did not give up Raina (and Skye). So I don't think it's crazy for them to take the threat of death seriously. As Trip pointed out, they might just blow up the plane after they take Raina and Skye, which is exactly what Whitehall had ordered in the first place and then proceeds to carry out.

Edited by kitlee625

Joss has ZERO to do with writing this show. His brother is the one doing the work and he's no Joss.

Joss may not actively be involved in the show himself, but that doesn't mean his presence isn't felt. Jed and Maurissa are both part of the "Whedon School," having started their TV careers under Joss on Dollhouse. And yes, that dream sequence borrowed heavily from the Joss playbook (although without the panache of a true Whedon original). Especially the song the played on the music box, which may serve up a huge clue as to Skye's true identity.

• Love 2

Well the problem with that is it's not just Ward, it's Hydra. Hydra would definitely kill them if they did not give up Raina (and Skye). So I don't think it's crazy for them to take the threat of death seriously.

Would they? Without Raina, the Diviner is useless. Hydra can't afford to blow up the plane with Raina on it. And Ward wouldn't allow the plane to be destroyed with Skye on it and he was clearly in charge.

Edited by Jack Kerouac
Hydra would definitely kill them if they did not give up Raina (and Skye)

Hydra seemed to have a lot invested in getting Raina back; they might not be willing to kill her if SHIELD refused to hand her over, especially if they thought they had a shot at ambushing SHIELD somewhere else (like Puerto Rico).  On the other hand, they might decide it's better to lose Raina than let SHIELD use her.  It's not clear what their motivations are.

But Ward's interest in Skye is clear, and he would act against Hydra to keep her alive.

I would have been on Tripp's side:  There's no reason for Hydra not to shoot down the Bus once they have what they want.  If you're dead either way, then screw Hydra.  Don't give evil people what they want; you just make it easier for them to do evil.

It's weird, but for some reason, in this ep I found Ward much hotter than usual. I think I've even detected a hint of chemistry with Skye, which was never there.

Anyway, I liked the ep, although more the 2nd half than the first. Called something happening to Mack as soon as they started deconstructing Fitz/Simmons and pulling them away from each other. He's probably alive, but likely won't outlive the next episode.

One thing I really liked is that the show finally started emphasizing May/Skye relationship. I mean, it was always there, first hostile, then thawing gradually, but May was total Mama Bear for Skye this time, and it was nice. And Skye's dream, of course.

Raina/Sky is another relationship I'm interested it (hmm, Skye really gets all the best relationships on the show). I've called Raina being sort-of replacement goldfish for Skye in the eyes of Skye's father (argh, show, give us a name already!), and I still suspect she'll be the one to kill him off eventually. But I like that so far, she's willing to play along.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

Regarding the question as to whether the team was truly in danger of being killed when Ward boarded the plane, Ward may have taken the lead in the field, but Agent 33 reported everything back to Whitehall who, when he heard that Ward had spared the plane, ordered the immediate destruction of the Bus. So I really doubt that Ward could have called Whitehall and said, "hey dude, sorry, but I'm just going to let the plane go because my love interest is on board." A guy like Whitehall would just kill Ward and the plane.

Also this goes back to Hydra's mindset from the beginning - something valuable is either with you or against you. If Raina isn't with them, then she's a threat to them and needs to be eliminated. Skye's father is implied to have been looking for other special people like Raina. I doubt she and Skye are the only people on the planet with the ability to touch the Diviner. Raina mentions hanging around with other "freaks" (gifteds?) when Skye's father took an interest in all of them. I bet that if Whitehall though that Raina was more of a threat than an asset, that he would kill her and find someone new.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 3

Totally agree with Monty's comments. We can discuss and dissect this show for days with all the great action and fight scenes and relationship chemistry yet it's still moving at a snail's pace. It definitely needs more independence from the movie big brother. At this point I'm hoping they get transported like Jane Foster in The Dark World to an alternate universe and deal with all the alien issues, well, with the aliens. Enough with everything and everyone coming to Earth and buried cities and what not. Flip the script! Have them discover some new things off planet and bring them back or (shock horror) set up some operations where people are based and they can flip like Fringe between the two universes and who knows, maybe there'll be enough to make their OWN movie. I mean, they flipped Skye's character - she's all bad ass slo mo flipping off walls now, getting beat up land shaking it off like she stubbed a toe, and her walking towards the display like she owned the place and presenting the intel was hilarious - like "check out my 180 people, I am ON POINT".

Surely they can do the same to, y'know, the show?

Skye's big presentation cracked me up because whenever I see shows using those giant display screens (Mr. EB used to refer to the one on Hawaii Five-O as the giant ipad), I picture the actors filming the scene aka I imagine them waving their arms around in the air without all the graphics.

• Love 1

Joss may not actively be involved in the show himself, but that doesn't mean his presence isn't felt. Jed and Maurissa are both part of the "Whedon School," having started their TV careers under Joss on Dollhouse. And yes, that dream sequence borrowed heavily from the Joss playbook (although without the panache of a true Whedon original). Especially the song the played on the music box, which may serve up a huge clue as to Skye's true identity.

I guess the reveal of who her and Daddy are next week but the song basically gave the game away

So she is Daisy Johnson ,which makes him Dr Hyde .I wonder if when they inevitably make her touch the Diviner if she gets her Quake abilities

Edited by Humbugged
  • Love 2
We can discuss and dissect this show for days with all the great action and fight scenes and relationship chemistry yet it's still moving at a snail's pace. It definitely needs more independence from the movie big brother.

No they can't. The pacing is probably due to making sure they synch up with Avengers2. It's the reason why I seriously doubt any of the core characters will be in any real danger since they supposedly have a cameo in the movie. Which doesn't bold well for Mack, Hunter or Bobbi. This is a placeholder show. And as much as the show might need its independence, it can't. It was because of their link to the movies particularly CA:tWS that the show was seen as getting in the right direction. Going on its own means no connection to CA:tWS and it would have had storylines like centipede and etc.

I really can't see Marvel bringing forth the Inhumans stuff this early on when the movie is years away.  This has to be a bait and switch for us.

Or maybe the show is going to lay groundwork by exploring how other alien species have played with mankind's basic make-up. They get to the city somehow, but, as Leesh Y had as an option, they are transported to someplace not on Earth. It happens all the time in comics, it would add a needed bit of urgency to return home, but things/obstacles keep getting in the way. Meanwhile, Our Heroes make allies and learn about The Neighbors.

While there are cameos supposedly planned, that doesn't mean this show needs to be "chained" to  any one movie, unless they are to play a major- enough part in it, as SHIELD was in Winter Soldier.  With The Inhumans being everyone's immediate thought, why would any sane purveyor of TV shows hamstring themselves in that way? The we-can't-payoff-this-story-for-4-more-years way? We will get some answers, but we have time to also explore what SkyeDaddy is actually ( human, enhanced human, Inhuman, Kree, other); if SkyeMommy is alive somewhere; what The City has to offer;, how Hydra will try to pee in Coulson's Cornflakes; is SkyeDaddy in good standing with his people,seeing as he has anger issues; where do the Koenigs get their toys; if Grant Ward is playing everyone, can he Houdini once more; how secure is SHIELD currently and is everyone on board with Coulson, and where does Raina buy those dresses? (What? They are cute, like the green and black one she had.)

Coulson mentioned that he wants to be a shield for the normal guy; how can he shield us from threats he doesn't even know are out there? I think this is the moment when the show can juggle big and small--bring in the aliens, yet keep the contacts personal and tied to Our Heroes. Big Marvel doesn't want to rush the Inhumans? Fine, we know what the Kree look like and they have been name-dropped twice (once by Sif, and Raina last night.)  Let's meet them.

Speaking of Lola, I bet she's steamed she didn't get to see San Juan! If she's being neglected/ not being attended to as much as before, she's really unhappy. Especially if Phil let something happen to that nice-looking Mack fellow!

• Love 2
So I really doubt that Ward could have called Whitehall and said, "hey dude, sorry, but I'm just going to let the plane go because my love interest is on board."

Ward didn't call Whitehall and say, "hey dude, sorry, but I'm just going to let the plane go because I don't want to make my love interest unhappy."  I'm not seeing why leaving Skye on the plane would force him to call Whitehall.  Either way, he's made the same choice about letting the plane go, and Whitehall finds out.

I agree with the complaints about the pacing. It's frustrating not to be able to guess what's going to happen because all of the big decisions are actually being figured by Marvel execs way at the top as part of their 5-year master plan. Everything seems to point towards Inhumans, but it seems really weird to introduce them four years before the Inhumans movie. Or maybe it's a brilliant move since most of the non-comic-book-reading public (including me) had never heard of them until now? I don't know, but personally I think I'd enjoy the show more if I could just watch it without wondering how it's going to tie into movies being released over the next five years.

One thing I really liked is that the show finally started emphasizing May/Skye relationship. I mean, it was always there, first hostile, then thawing gradually, but May was total Mama Bear for Skye this time, and it was nice. And Skye's dream, of course.

The May/Skye relationship is one of the highlights for me this season. The same old pairings got so boring last season, and I'm so glad that they've been mixing it up more this season.

Raina/Sky is another relationship I'm interested it (hmm, Skye really gets all the best relationships on the show). I've called Raina being sort-of replacement goldfish for Skye in the eyes of Skye's father (argh, show, give us a name already!), and I still suspect she'll be the one to kill him off eventually. But I like that so far, she's willing to play along.

I like this theory. I'm also a little worried that she'll be the one to pay the "ultimate sacrifice" next episode. Please don't, show. I really want to see Raina running around with super powers.

Now that Ward's kept his promise to kidnap Skye and bring her to her dad, does this mean he's getting killed off? I just don't see what else he has to offer to the story at this point.

• Love 1

Re: pacing, I'm really curious to see what ABC does given that they have 12 eps for the spring "season" and Avenger 2 comes out May 1. If they do a two-hour Carter finale, two-hour spring premiere and then two-hour season finale, they could wrap up the week of the movie and then let next season deal with everything post-AVGS2.

As for Mack really being dead, it's weird that the actor Henry Simmons was included in the season two cast photo, but was always credited as a guest star. I think BJ Britt was also included in the photo and is also still being credited as a guest star despite having been in (almost?) every episode since last March-ish.

I agree with the complaints about the pacing. It's frustrating not to be able to guess what's going to happen because all of the big decisions are actually being figured by Marvel execs way at the top as part of their 5-year master plan. Everything seems to point towards Inhumans, but it seems really weird to introduce them four years before the Inhumans movie.

I wonder if they're using the TV show as the origin-story for the Inhumans, so they don't ave to do that in the movie.  If you look at the MCU's list of movies in production, pre-production, pre-pre-production, development, announced or just fanstasized about, a lot of them are going to have to include origins.  The show can provide a background for what the Inhumans are, then the movie can focus on specific Inhumans without having to go into a lot of detail explaining what the hell they are.

I think BJ Britt was also included in the photo and is also still being credited as a guest star despite having been in (almost?) every episode since last March-ish.

That's probably a contract issue with BET; I think he's still a regular on Being Mary Jane.

• Love 1

I certainly hope Mack isn't dead. They should kill Tripp instead. He's much more dull. Mack at least has his friendship with Fitz. Tripp has… um… nice abs? I dunno.

This episode was pretty good for a set-up for a mid-season finale (although I sometimes feel like TV seasons should only be 13 episodes anyway) with lots of action that propelled the story but didn't actually arrive anywhere because we have to drag it out to next week for a big cliffhanger at the gates of the underground temple (I assume). I was willing to forgive Skye's seeming overnight combat training because it made her a bit cooler after that opening dream sequence made me annoyed at the character again. I prefer SHIELD when it's en ensemble and not The SKYE Show (featuring SHIELD). 

That said, while the fight scene was pretty bad-ass (though not as bad-ass as the May/May fight that is still their best ever), OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY TURN ON SOME LIGHTS ON SET! This show has been really dark lately, and I'm not talking about the tone. I'm talking about barely being able to make out what's on screen. Sure, the underground tunnel can be dark, but the Bus? Turn on some lights! Surely you can afford the electricity! Maybe turn off some of those unnecessary vid screens and reroute the power to the lights!

I just think I'd like this show even more if I could see what was going on more often. :-)

• Love 1

I suppose you could make the excuse that having the cloak on doesn't leave them a lot of extra power, but obviously it's just cheaper for them to not turn as many lights on set and also allows them to try and sneak stuff past us.

He's much more dull.

A fault of the writing more than the actor, I'd say.  They've given him exactly nothing to work with.

OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY TURN ON SOME LIGHTS ON SET!

Tom & Lorenzo, among others, have brought up the show's lack of a signature visual style.  I don't think "dark" is going to cut it.

Like others love the cloaking umbrella, so want one for Christmas! Do you think I can get one from Sharper Image?

Sold out. Try Brooks Brothers.

Tripp and his abs can stay forever.

• Love 1

I certainly hope Mack isn't dead. They should kill Tripp instead. He's much more dull. Mack at least has his friendship with Fitz. Tripp has… um… nice abs? I dunno.

He has the really stupid looking beard. Oh, and he also has ... nothing to do except get shot.

Tripp and his abs can stay forever.

No thanks. They can get rid of Bobby as well. Fake boobs just don't do it. Focus on the main characters. They can keep Mac and the Australian dude.

The show can provide a background for what the Inhumans are, then the movie can focus on specific Inhumans without having to go into a lot of detail explaining what the hell they are.

That would mean that Marvel would be depending on the majority of the movie watching audience to be following the show, and we can see from the numbers that isn't happening. I think the show has to follow the movies' lead, just based on the size of the audience.

Marvel has to get some kind of super-powered people on the map before Cap 3, so there's a reason for the registration act.  I don't see the Inhumans movie being their individual origin stories, so much as the origin story of the "team."

• Love 1

I don't see why having some random Inhumans on AoS is going to do anything to effect the movie. People who watch this show will get some info on them before we see the movie and for the people that don't watch this show it won't make much of difference since the characters introduced won't be in the movie. It'll be just like the people that read the comics, they'll know about the Inhumans before seeing the movie. 

If Skye and Raina are Inhumans all they need to show is they are from a hidden city called Attilan and have special powers from being experimented on by the Kree who we met in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Does anyone follow the comics?  I haven't read comics in a long time, but there was a recent storyarc called "The Worthy" where there were some heroes and villains who find these mystical hammers.  Touching them transforms them into these possessed beings called the Worthy.  What happened to Mack seemed very much like that.  Especially after I believe Raina mentioned something about being "worthy" to Skye.

I don't think Mack is dead either.  

They can get rid of Bobby as well. Fake boobs just don't do it. Focus on the main characters. They can keep Mac and the Australian dude.
I didn't care for the actress at first, but she has grown on me.  I like the idea of Mockingbird.  Her ex, Hunter, is English, not Australian.

Did anyone else wonder why Agent 33 hasn't fixed her face?  Did it get stuck like that?  Why doesn't she put something over it or use makeup or a scarf or hood or something.  Pretty hard to be inconspicuous looking like that.

Did anyone else wonder why Agent 33 hasn't fixed her face?  Did it get stuck like that?  Why doesn't she put something over it or use makeup or a scarf or hood or something.  Pretty hard to be inconspicuous looking like that.

Since it doesn't actually count as a disguise anymore, I can only presume the taser to the face shorted out the mask and she can't get it off. And while it might work for Oliver Queen, walking around in a hood is likely to draw even more attention. What 33 has going on is actually likely to make less people look at her.

Edited by KirkB

Marvel has to get some kind of super-powered people on the map before Cap 3, so there's a reason for the registration act.  I don't see the Inhumans movie being their individual origin stories, so much as the origin story of the "team."

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to be in Age Of Ultron .So they get to use Daddy ,(Her name is not)Skye (but we see you on your bicycle made for 2)and Raina to show where the Inhumans come from without having to spend a big chunk of Ulton explaining where the non mutant Mutants appeared from .

• Love 1

Re: pacing, I'm really curious to see what ABC does given that they have 12 eps for the spring "season" and Avenger 2 comes out May 1. If they do a two-hour Carter finale, two-hour spring premiere and then two-hour season finale, they could wrap up the week of the movie and then let next season deal with everything post-AVGS2.

As for Mack really being dead, it's weird that the actor Henry Simmons was included in the season two cast photo, but was always credited as a guest star. I think BJ Britt was also included in the photo and is also still being credited as a guest star despite having been in (almost?) every episode since last March-ish.

It gets a 2 hour premiere and then all 1 hour slots .I'm betting we get another free Marvel ad for the extra week that just appeared in the run up to AoU

show where the Inhumans come from without having to spend a big chunk of Ulton explaining where the non mutant Mutants appeared from

It's more than just having Inhumans around.  What prompts the drafting of the Registration Act?  If there are a just a few Inhumans and the public is generally unaware of them, then there's no law.  You need to have some rowdy, free-range Inhumans scaring the general populace and needing to be brought under control.

I don't think Mac is dead. If getting shot up with the icer had no effect, then alien possession makes a body pretty resilient.

But he better not be dead.

I think "Mack" is dead but Henry Simmons might stay on like Deathlok remains alive.

Do they really? I mean from the movies alone by the time Cap 3 comes out there will be something like 15 heroes or powered people. We have Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, War Machine, Falcon, Winter Soldier,  Fury, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Ant Man (probably 2 of them) and Vision,

Most of those are not Inhumans, though. They're likely introducing Inhumans now on AoS to avoid having too much exposition in the films.

But would Inhumans be the only ones who would need to be registered. Plus does this show get enough ratings where they would want to use it as a way to introduce plot points and have important exposition for the movies. To me it always seemed like this show followed the lead of the movies, not the other way around.

I didn't care for the actress at first, but she has grown on me.  I like the idea of Mockingbird.  Her ex, Hunter, is English, not Australian.

I like her too. She is hot and more eye candy is almost always better. Plus I liked Mockingbird back from my comics reading days. 

The only thing I didn't really like about this episode was how when May found those Hydra guys in the van she opened the door and shot them with the stupid Night-Night gun. They are bad hydra guys, why wouldn't you shoot them with a real gun?

Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye, War Machine, Falcon, Winter Soldier,  Fury, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Ant Man (probably 2 of them) and Vision,

Iron Man, War Machine, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Fury are all standard-issue humans, just with better training and/or equipment.  They wouldn't fall under the Registration Act, as I understand it.  (It could be different in the movie.)

Most of these people are already on the side of good; there's no need to pass an act to have them make themselves known and cooperate with the authorities.  What would compel the government to draft and pass the Registration Act?  Unknown and uncontrolled people with superpowers who weren't being good citizens.

• Love 1

Iron Man, War Machine, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Fury are all standard-issue humans, just with better training and/or equipment.  They wouldn't fall under the Registration Act, as I understand it.  (It could be different in the movie.)

Most of these people are already on the side of good; there's no need to pass an act to have them make themselves known and cooperate with the authorities.  What would compel the government to draft and pass the Registration Act?  Unknown and uncontrolled people with superpowers who weren't being good citizens.

I never read the Civil War comic, but google tells me that heroes without super powers, but who have super powers through technology are also subject to the act. Personally I think any kind of plot like this is stupid (especially in the MCU when the name and face of just about every hero is known) and I hope the writers involved in the movie come up with a better reason for a civil war that that. 

• Love 1