Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Nysha said:

My allergies are horrible. It's been raining at night and in the low 70s during the day, so every frigging type of vegetation is blooming. I'm pretty good from about 11 am to 5 pm, because I'm inside a building w/o any openable windows, but for the last week, from 5:15 pm to 11:00 am, I can't hardly breathe. Antihistamines and decongestants both make me drowsy, so I can't take them during the day. I'm using my inhaler and having a nebulizer treatment morning & night, but I'll be this way for the rest of spring since something new blooms every day here.

Similar weather here. Maybe that’s the cause. Hope we both feel better soon. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I finally got "the call" just now, and my mother finally passed after being unresponsive for several days.  She was medicated and not in any pain.  I knew she couldn't go on too much longer with no food or water.  I am so thankful for my brother, who lives near her and made sure she had all the pain meds.  I am also thankful to the Hospice nurses,  who were just wonderful with her, and with us.  She was not only the last of the 10 children in her family, she is the last cousin, also.  The end of an era.

My deepest condolences 💐 

• Love 4

Did anyone else receive a $397 check re Facebook Biometric Information Privacy Litigation? My husband got his last week and I received mine this week. It looks like junk mail, but the checks are legit! My sister got one too. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Did anyone else receive a $397 check re Facebook Biometric Information Privacy Litigation? My husband got his last week and I received mine this week. It looks like junk mail, but the checks are legit! My sister got one too. 

I did, not a physical check but to my PayPal. I filled out the information to be a part of the class action suit in 2021. Its legit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Too funny. We moved from Baton Rouge to metro Atlanta 6 years ago and are now in Baton Rouge for a short visit with my bestie.  It feels like a dream sequence. So much the same and so much changed. And we like it better where we are now. Our taxes in our county are less than in Baton Rouge because we don’t pay school tax. Doesn’t make sense to me.  I wonder how the Dillards will do on their new house. 

Welcome home (temporarily)! LSU’s graduations are today and tomorrow so traffic should be fine extra clusterfuckish. 

17 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I finally got "the call" just now, and my mother finally passed after being unresponsive for several days.  She was medicated and not in any pain.  I knew she couldn't go on too much longer with no food or water.  I am so thankful for my brother, who lives near her and made sure she had all the pain meds.  I am also thankful to the Hospice nurses,  who were just wonderful with her, and with us.  She was not only the last of the 10 children in her family, she is the last cousin, also.  The end of an era.

So sorry @CalicoKitty. You and your brother take care and give yourselves some grace.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, BetyBee said:

My husband got his.. I'm impatiently waiting for mine! (I applied FOR him, he doesn't even know how to do Facebook, but I made him one for family)

How far apart did you guys get your checks?

Ps it's for Illinois residents only, because only Illinois (as far as I know) sued Facebook for infringement on our privacy. 

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

My husband got his.. I'm impatiently waiting for mine! (I applied FOR him, he doesn't even know how to do Facebook, but I made him one for family)

Ps it's for Illinois residents only, because only Illinois (as far as I know) sued Facebook for infringement on our privacy. 

I didn't know it was only for Illinois residents! Ours came about a week apart. My daughter and her husband got theirs too. 

My daughter & I saw the new Downton Abbey movie today. We both really enjoyed it!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Mine came to PayPal Wednesday I think.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I did! I had no idea it was going to be that much. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

What happened to my personalized home page? I only get the full forum front page now. Urgh.

Indeed.  It's driving me around the bend.  I have to go to followed forums and followed topics.  It isn't going to last read post and it looks off.

ETA:  Regular home page returned.  :)  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Ugh, I guess I have to use the dark setting. Its rather angry and depressing.

Mine hasn’t changed, I don’t think. I need my extra large font!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Taking this discussion from Sweet Fellowship:

I just want to be clear, I am not making light of Carlin’s (or anyone’s) medical issues AT ALL, but I wanted to share a funny story about makeup that @GeeGolly and @libgirl2 reminded me of. 

My great aunt E who was my second favorite person alive, died at age 87 this past October. She loved makeup. I like makeup too but I’m not a daily wearer (I like a full beat for a wedding or cocktail party but on the day to day I would rather use that time to eat breakfast!). 

In 2011 my Aunt E took a fall, I got the call the next morning that she was in the ER. I went to see her and there she was with a broken knee, two of my cousins that lived in her neighborhood brought her in. My Aunt E had on dark grey slacks, a grey silky blouse, jewelry and a little cardigan with sparkles (she was 76 at this point). She was wearing her black Disney baseball hat I bought her. She had a full face of makeup on (as usual). So of course I asked her how she was feeling, I thanked my cousins for bringing her in etc. i asked her “where and how did you fall?” Looking at her I assumed she had been OUT socializing with these cousins (dinner or something, she often spent a lot of time with them)-

NOPE! She was at HOME in her NIGHTGOWN AND ROBE when she fell! Off of a stool she took from the alley!

In her pain she crawled in the floor to her landline and dialed the first number she could think of. She then had her nieces CHOOSE AN OUTFIT for her and get her makeup bag before she would agree to go to the hospital. She said she put her makeup on in the car. 

This elderly woman with a broken knee (yes it was broken) was determine to look her best in the ER. I almost bust out laughing because it was so ridiculous but so her! I told her she better be glad she called them and not me, because I would pulled out a sweatshirt and lounge pants just so that she could be covered, and drove her to the hospital. 

She was a TRIP! But I miss her so much. 

Thank you for sharing that. I'm a bit better than I was about make up. I will say in the last few years I had two hospital stays for surgeries and nothing made me feel normal than washing my hair and putting a little eyeliner and mascara on. 

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Thank you for sharing that. I'm a bit better than I was about make up. I will say in the last few years I had two hospital stays for surgeries and nothing made me feel normal than washing my hair and putting a little eyeliner and mascara on. 

It’s the little things that can make us feel better in the worst of times. 

But my Aunt E didn’t go to the alley to take out the TRASH without lipstick on. She taught me everything I know about makeup- accept how to apply false lashes. I thank Jacklyn Hill for that, because my Aunt E said she tried and tried but never mastered that skill so she couldn’t help me. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Anyone put on the ac yet? 2 days of about 90 degrees and I did not. I just enjoyed feeling HOT after a long winter! 

I refrained. This week is supposed to be decent. It was 91° earlier, and then we got 6 sprinkles from what was supposed to be a storm. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m sitting outside right now, slight breeze and 71°, just the way I like it. 😁

• Love 6
1 minute ago, iwantcookies said:

Anyone put on the ac yet? 2 days of about 90 degrees and I did not. I just enjoyed feeling HOT after a long winter! 

I have had mine on for a while but I live in Houston and for most of May it has been around 90° with humidity around 50% today was cooler I think our high was in the low 80's. I keep my thermostat around 77 to 80 to keep the bill low. I also have fans to blow air.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

I refrained. This week is supposed to be decent. It was 91° earlier, and then we got 6 sprinkles from what was supposed to be a storm. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m sitting outside right now, slight breeze and 71°, just the way I like it. 😁

I’m outside too drinking ice tea. It’s pretty nice/breezy. Supposed to rain but we’ll see. Monday was supposed to be awful and it rained for like 15 minutes!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

We broke down this weekend and put it on. 90’s and so humid. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/17/2022 at 2:27 PM, Cinnabon said:

Gahhh, I don’t miss living in an apartment with thin walls. It was always my loud upstairs neighbors that got me. I actually put holes in the ceiling by banging on it with a broom, lol. The noise made me so crazy that I think I still have a touch of PTSD from it that will never go away. Would it help to tell the landlord and/or building manager? 

I live in a condo.  My walls are my neighbors walls too.  This neighbor who has one son living with her washes clothes 20 hours a day.  Not kidding.  Her hot water heater turns on all the time because of the washing clothes, and makes noise like rumbling.  It drives me so nuts that I go in my room to watch tv by end of day.  My hot water heater makes a whimper that I hardly hear it.  I hate noise.  Do I ring her bell and tell her to have hers checked out?  I hate noise of any kind and am mindful of others.  Of course, my husband hears nothing, and tells me to calm down.  I just have an aversion to noise that I can’t control.   In my next life, I will live very far away from others, like in the woods, lol.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

In my next life, I will live very far away from others, like in the woods, lol.

I have misophonia so certain noises drive me batty.  Even in the woods, there are birds that make repetitive irritating noises.  We have some that go poink, poink, poink for weeks in the spring that I have to encourage to move along regularly.  

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I have misophonia so certain noises drive me batty.  Even in the woods, there are birds that make repetitive irritating noises.  We have some that go poink, poink, poink for weeks in the spring that I have to encourage to move along regularly.  

That is true.  Seems I have that also.  I hate all noises that aren’t mine.  I’m going to Walmart now and buy some earplugs .. not kidding.

• Love 5

I really hope it all works out @Scarlett45 !!

One of the people  I recently had went from home to hospital, and now to a nursing home. 😢 My boss offered me a position with her father. I took it. I start tomorrow. Fingers crossed, it’s great hours with weekends off. 😁

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Apparently I am in a small minority in liking to be surrounded by color.  I don't do loud or overbearing colors, but I like a few saturated colors and subtle, slightly muted light colors and and a small amount of a warm off white.

I also love color, but I do want a white kitchen.  I collect Fiestaware, a white kitchen is necessary to show off the rich colors of the pottery.  The rest of the house needs the correct color for each room to match the vibes.

• Love 15
50 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I really hope it all works out @Scarlett45 !!

One of the people  I recently had went from home to hospital, and now to a nursing home. 😢 My boss offered me a position with her father. I took it. I start tomorrow. Fingers crossed, it’s great hours with weekends off. 😁

It’s hard to find good caregivers and it’s hard to find good people to work for. Best of luck to you! May this family appreciate you and all that you are doing for their loved one. 

• Love 6