Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well I tore off my big right toenail. It’s barely hanging on. It’s SEVERELY bleeding. I’m off limping to city md. Hope they know what to do.

Yay happy summer to me.

Edited to add:

whole nail is gone. I’m limping and in pain. Need to go back in 2 days to get the dressing changed. Hoping the pain will go away soon. Guess will be wearing slippers outside  for the near future. 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Hugs 1
14 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Well I tore off my big right toenail. It’s barely hanging on. It’s SEVERELY bleeding. I’m off limping to city md. Hope they know what to do.

Yay happy summer to me.

How on earth did you do that???

• Love 2

I took off Friday...felt like I needed a few days off that didn't involve the removal of body parts. LOL We did yardwork Friday and Saturday. I discovered that we have poison ivy in our yard! To add to the fun, I managed to get it under both of the girls. So much fun! Mr Turquoise isn't allergic, so we're going to have to pinpoint where I met the vile weed at, and that corner of the yard will be his responsibility going forward.

• Love 4

Mr. BB & I had such a nice Memorial Day! We went to our charming town square and listened to the speeches with misty eyes. The only downside was that I was apparently the only one wearing a mask. It was very moving and the parade was short and sweet. We're having some gorgeous weather. Afterwards we went to the cemetery where my great-great grandparents are buried. It's such a pretty little cemetery. We coincidentally wound up in the town where they lived. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Memory update - I've been having severe memory issues for the last year and nearly got fired last fall because I screwed up everything I did to the extent that my boss's boss threatened to write HER up. An MRI revealed a condition called White Vessel Disease that eventually causes dementia. I went to a neurologist, who sent me to a neuro-psychiatrist. According to him, I'm not having memory issues. He diagnosed me with ADD and major depression/anxiety and sent me to a psychological nurse/practitioner.

However, the memory issues were still causing issues at work. I had a contrast MRI & CT scan, a lumbar puncture, and bloodwork for every disease/condition that causes memory issues, and everything was fine with those. At the recommendation of my HR representative, I applied for and was approved for Family Medical Leave.

Today is day 1 of my paid Family Medical Leave. I'm taking the full 12 weeks. I'm also on Adderall for the attention issues and just started taking Cymbalta along with my Wellbutrin. I also started therapy to deal with 59 years of issues. HR is hoping that I will qualify for disability because if I continue to have issues when I go back to work, I will be fired. My psych provider wants to wait and see if I improve during the FML. So, I guess it's still up in the air. I've decided not to worry about things and just try to work on my mental health until the next visit.

Thank you for sharing. I hope you get a positive resolution for the memory issues, it must be very hard for you.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Memory update - I've been having severe memory issues for the last year and nearly got fired last fall because I screwed up everything I did to the extent that my boss's boss threatened to write HER up. An MRI revealed a condition called White Vessel Disease that eventually causes dementia. I went to a neurologist, who sent me to a neuro-psychiatrist. According to him, I'm not having memory issues. He diagnosed me with ADD and major depression/anxiety and sent me to a psychological nurse/practitioner.

However, the memory issues were still causing issues at work. I had a contrast MRI & CT scan, a lumbar puncture, and bloodwork for every disease/condition that causes memory issues, and everything was fine with those. At the recommendation of my HR representative, I applied for and was approved for Family Medical Leave.

Today is day 1 of my paid Family Medical Leave. I'm taking the full 12 weeks. I'm also on Adderall for the attention issues and just started taking Cymbalta along with my Wellbutrin. I also started therapy to deal with 59 years of issues. HR is hoping that I will qualify for disability because if I continue to have issues when I go back to work, I will be fired. My psych provider wants to wait and see if I improve during the FML. So, I guess it's still up in the air. I've decided not to worry about things and just try to work on my mental health until the next visit.

Sending you good thoughts and hoping you get answers. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Nysha, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I have to say that it sounds very unfair for your company to consider firing you for something you can't help. I know life can be very unfair and I'm really sorry. My brother has gone through something similar following brain tumor issues. His work (teaching college) was suffering and he really couldn't continue. Disability from work helped for a time, but that's about over. I think you are wise doing everything you can to get treatment and choosing not to worry. I really hope the mental health help and pharmaceuticals improve your situation. Please know that we are all in your corner. I'm very impressed by your attitude. Hang in there and do keep us updated. ❤️

• Love 14
38 minutes ago, Nysha said:

My thoughts are with you. I am very  happy you were able to get paid PAID FML. That in itself must be a major stress reliever.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Nysha, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I have to say that it sounds very unfair for your company to consider firing you for something you can't help. I know life can be very unfair and I'm really sorry. My brother has gone through something similar following brain tumor issues. His work (teaching college) was suffering and he really couldn't continue. Disability from work helped for a time, but that's about over. I think you are wise doing everything you can to get treatment and choosing not to worry. I really hope the mental health help and pharmaceuticals improve your situation. Please know that we are all in your corner. I'm very impressed by your attitude. Hang in there and do keep us updated. ❤️

I'm sorry about your brother, it's so stressful to know you can't work but you have to in order to survive.

If I qualify for state disability I can be on it for 18 mos. and the state will help me get SSD. I also have worked for the state long enough to get retirement and after 18 mos. they'll switch my disability pay to full retirement. 

• Love 20
(edited)

@Nysha, I'm glad you have a plan and some paid time off to deal with the situation. I hope they figure it out and in the meantime you are un-stressed. I'm sure taking away the pressure of going to  work  is a big help.

@iwantcookies - yikes, I hope you get pain relief and the toenail bed calms down. Ouch ouch ouch.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

I'm sorry about your brother, it's so stressful to know you can't work but you have to in order to survive.

If I qualify for state disability I can be on it for 18 mos. and the state will help me get SSD. I also have worked for the state long enough to get retirement and after 18 mos. they'll switch my disability pay to full retirement. 

Thank you, Nysha. My brother is only 56 and he is a miraculous survivor of 2 brain tumors. Fortunately, his wife has a good job and good health insurance. He busies himself with volunteer work now. He hasn't succeeded in getting SSD yet, but so far disability has continued via his previous employment. I hope that you get the answers you need and that your health improves. It's unconscionable imo, that people who are battling health issues also have to be so concerned about money issues. It's just adds stress to an already stressful situation. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

He hasn't succeeded in getting SSD yet,

That can be difficult to get. I believe they always say no the first time. You have to keep at them or write to your congressman for help in securing it. Of course a disability lawyer can be hired but it takes $$. I wish him luck. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That can be difficult to get. I believe they always say no the first time. You have to keep at them or write to your congressman for help in securing it. Of course a disability lawyer can be hired but it takes $$. I wish him luck. 

Dos writing your congressman really help? My cousin had a small stroke and is blind as a result ( that was the only affect of the stroke) and cannot get disability. She is looking for a lawyer but of course has no money for one.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I used to work there.  Yes is the answer the majority of the time.  Although it is a low majority.  Always appeal.  A reconsideration isn't tough to do.  Don't bother with a lawyer unless your doctor's write up is bad until you get to the administrative law judge stage.  Then you need someone who speaks the same language.  Writing a congress person helps on some matters, but not so much on disability determinations.  They are taking what your doctor sent in and putting it side by side of a list of things that allow you to be considered disabled.  It's frequently poorly stated evidence that causes the denial. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 5

There are also SSI/SSD consultants to work with that are a bit more affordable than a lawyer. They walk you through the process in hopes of getting the best results. I’ve had to use them in assisting me w getting benefits for my daughter. We also got rejected on the first try and are waiting for months now on the results of the appeal. 

• Useful 7
On 5/31/2022 at 6:01 AM, iwantcookies said:

Yay happy summer to me.

Edited to add:

whole nail is gone. I’m limping and in pain. Need to go back in 2 days to get the dressing changed. Hoping the pain will go away soon. Guess will be wearing slippers outside  for the near future. 

Been there, done that, and I have so much sympathy.  It is amazing how much a toenail injury can bleed!  (I left a blood trail throughout the entire urgent care office) But, my nail grew back absolutely perfectly.  You can not tell it was destroyed.  Take care, and good luck.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

@Iwantcookies,  how are you doing today.  Are you in less pain? I hope you were told to elevate your foot.

Limping, pain is manageable today. Got to go to go to the pharmacy for the antibiotics. No pain meds were given/I don’t think I need them. 

Apparently it takes a year to grow a toenail. 

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Been there, done that, and I have so much sympathy.  It is amazing how much a toenail injury can bleed!  (I left a blood trail throughout the entire urgent care office) But, my nail grew back absolutely perfectly.  You can not tell it was destroyed.  Take care, and good luck.

Happy to hear you had a great recovery! Thanks for sharing and giving me a positive outlook for my recovery.

@Nysha I hope your treatment works! I’m sending you good vibes ❤️

• Love 5

I shared upthread the delivery travels of a used paperback book that I ordered from an Amazon seller. It was delivered late yesterday. The seller's in TX and I'm in Denver>

Its trek in the USPS system went like this: 

1. Grand Prairie, TX - May 20
  2. Denver, CO - May 21
  3. Atlanta, GA - May 24
  4. Memphis, TN - May 27
  5. Oklahoma City, OK - May 28
  6. Denver, CO -May 29

I'm just happy that I received the book. 🙂

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5

Glad your package showed up.  Mine now shows a status of being sent to the mail recovery center, so I've filed a search request with a picture of the contents of the package in case the label parted ways with the contents.  I'm not holding out much hope at this point though :(

@Nysha I’m so sorry you’re having all these difficulties but glad you got the FMLA.  Stay on top of the interactive process with your employer when you return to work. Document document document!!! Can’t say that enough.   A reasonable accommodation for you may be to remove some non-essential functions from your job (notice I said non-essential), for example, but you have to communicate back and forth to meet your needs.  Needs change over time and sometimes one thing doesn’t work so you love on tom something else. 

Also check out www.askjan.org accommodation library on ADD. There’s some really good information guides on executive functioning that might be really helpful.  I was recently diagnosed with combined adult adhd, and it helped tremendously (as did the Adderall🤣). Best wishes to you.

@iwantcookies I knocked a nail off too years ago. Hurt like a mother! Just be prepared that even when the nail starts to grow back, it can easily be knocked off again.  Proceed with open toe footwear with caution for a while, and be careful about bumping it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

@Ijustwantsomechips, thank you for the advice. I've been keeping a notebook and noting all the times I think my memory has slipped. Sunday, on a city street, I stopped for a green light. I could have sworn it was red, but it is a light in front of a fire station that only turns red when engines are rolling. I didn't even notice it was green until a car sped past and honked it's horn. That can't be normal.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I claimed Memorial Day as a “me day”. I told my Mom she wasn’t allowed to ask me to do ANYTHING, and M (my sister’s weekday caregiver) was working, so I was claiming the day. 

It was amazing!

This is what I did:

5:40 am Cosmo whimpered, my response-“dude it’s a bank holiday!”- I kicked him out of the room. 
7:30am Cosmo’s walk
8:15am- fed cats and got back in bed. Let the cats come in the room and climb in bed with me. Watched a YouTube review of the Disney channel original movie “The 13th year”- NOSTALIGIA!
Then thought “I’m sleepy”

I FELL ASLEEP until 1:04pm!

I woke up to this situation.7E71BBDA-9680-4F31-ACF9-B071AB402749.thumb.jpeg.b1099eaf1d4420ccda3e80408fdc1f1d.jpeg28235C2B-D624-4B06-AD5C-D707396E85FC.thumb.jpeg.d9b99917cbcf0238dfcd6a1a8783cdae.jpeg

Took Cosmo on afternoon walk, ate food, turned on Bridgerton to rewatch then this until about 5pm.291302AE-B1C9-4180-9A1A-993725DEB9EF.thumb.jpeg.3361dd6e44df9a1a019c2277a6475366.jpeg4DEE13E7-561C-4B0B-AED2-BF6C807DAA97.thumb.jpeg.47dfeeb1edc6ff059f96aad294ade523.jpeg

Took Cosmo out in the evening, showered, mopped, did dishes and got ready for work the next day.

It was so peaceful. I’m not someone who takes naps unless I’m sick (I am fine)- I must’ve been tired!

I'm glad you allowed yourself to unplug and nap and relax with your crew.  It sounds like you really needed that.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/1/2022 at 1:43 PM, Jeeves said:

I shared upthread the delivery travels of a used paperback book that I ordered from an Amazon seller. It was delivered late yesterday. The seller's in TX and I'm in Denver>

Its trek in the USPS system went like this: 

1. Grand Prairie, TX - May 20
  2. Denver, CO - May 21
  3. Atlanta, GA - May 24
  4. Memphis, TN - May 27
  5. Oklahoma City, OK - May 28
  6. Denver, CO -May 29

I'm just happy that I received the book. 🙂

Welcome neighbor Broomfield here and my mom is from Lakewood. 

Edited by Rabbittron
  • Love 1
On 6/1/2022 at 11:05 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

Dos writing your congressman really help? My cousin had a small stroke and is blind as a result ( that was the only affect of the stroke) and cannot get disability. She is looking for a lawyer but of course has no money for one.

It helped my friend. Disability was denied twice and she has 4 of the 7 conditions that qualify her for it in our state. She wrote to her Congressman explaining how she felt she was just getting denials because they didn’t want to look into her case. She had disability within 2 weeks after their receipt of the letter. 
   I hope this helps your cousin. 
(I’m sorry about the delay in answering. I was away.) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 8
On 6/1/2022 at 11:20 AM, Absolom said:

I used to work there.  Yes is the answer the majority of the time.  Although it is a low majority.  Always appeal.  A reconsideration isn't tough to do.  Don't bother with a lawyer unless your doctor's write up is bad until you get to the administrative law judge stage.  Then you need someone who speaks the same language.  Writing a congress person helps on some matters, but not so much on disability determinations.  They are taking what your doctor sent in and putting it side by side of a list of things that allow you to be considered disabled.  It's frequently poorly stated evidence that causes the denial. 

Daughter of an SS ALJ here, and I'd like to co-sign this excellent advice.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

@crazycatlady58 a stroke and blindness should have been most likely an automatic qualifier.  I'm guessing a decently done reconsideration would have also gotten a positive result within two weeks.  When I had time I would assist clients with reconsiderations.  The fastest positive turnaround I had was a week which was basically the mailing time.  I never saw a stroke resulting in additional disability denied while I worked there.  

I'm sorry I didn't make note of that with your first post.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 5
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

@crazycatlady58 a stroke and blindness should have been most likely an automatic qualifier.  I'm guessing a decently done reconsideration would have also gotten a positive result within two weeks.  When I had time I would assist clients with reconsiderations.  The fastest positive turnaround I had was a week which was basically the mailing time.  I never saw a stroke resulting in any additional disability denied while I worked there.  

I'm sorry I didn't make note of that with your first post.  

Yes, you would think so.I do not know the ins and outs of the situation. My Aunt says she has been denied and they are looking for a lawyer. I do not know who they have talked with to get information as the having the problem resolved and am not close enough to ask. I would feel uncomfortable asking how the recommendation was handled.  While I like to talk things out most of the family does not. Thank you for your response. 

• Hugs 3
  • Love 3

I would love to tap into y'all's wisdom.

Outdoor furniture. My wish list is a couch and two chairs that stand up to weather and wet bathing suits. I've researched at length and I'm leaning toward a set with Sunbrella cushions, that is part aluminum and part rattan. Its rather pricy, to me anyway.

Before I make the leap, I thought maybe someone here could steer me in the right/better direction. (I'm not fond of the boxy rattan sectionals)

Just an FYI, we've had a semi cheap rattan love seat and two chairs that are really showing their wear after ten years, but this new set will be getting a lot more use than the old set.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I would love to tap into y'all's wisdom.

Outdoor furniture. My wish list is a couch and two chairs that stand up to weather and wet bathing suits. I've researched at length and I'm leaning toward a set with Sunbrella cushions, that is part aluminum and part rattan. Its rather pricy, to me anyway.

Before I make the leap, I thought maybe someone here could steer me in the right/better direction. (I'm not fond of the boxy rattan sectionals)

Just an FYI, we've had a semi cheap rattan love seat and two chairs that are really showing their wear after ten years, but this new set will be getting a lot more use than the old set.

We just bought new patio furniture. Ours is a  dining set. Aluminum is what you want as it won’t rust. We spent 6 months researching. We paid $1500 for 4 chairs and a table and it was worth every penny. Our weather in Iowa sucks, so we needed something to stand up to it. We store it in our garage in winter.

The umbrella we bought for it is made from Sunbrella material that is spectacular. Sunbrella is for sure a great purchase. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Madtown said:

We just bought new patio furniture. Ours is a  dining set. Aluminum is what you want as it won’t rust. We spent 6 months researching. We paid $1500 for 4 chairs and a table and it was worth every penny. Our weather in Iowa sucks, so we needed something to stand up to it. We store it in our garage in winter.

The umbrella we bought for it is made from Sunbrella material that is spectacular. Sunbrella is for sure a great purchase. 

This is what I'm leaning toward:

Windemere 4-Piece Aluminum Outdoor Patio Seating Set with Sofa with Sunbrella Canvas Spa Cushions, $1400.

image.png.2991b253efd5f49d17a8d371404d7f47.png

• Like 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is what I'm leaning toward:

Windemere 4-Piece Aluminum Outdoor Patio Seating Set with Sofa with Sunbrella Canvas Spa Cushions, $1400.

image.png.2991b253efd5f49d17a8d371404d7f47.png

That is really pretty and would be a fantastic set. I don't think you would be disappointed.

This is what we got. Minus the rug and only 4 chairs.

2903455_2019.jpg

0007874221749_A copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Madtown said:

That is really pretty and would be a fantastic set. I don't think you would be disappointed.

This is what we got. Minus the rug and only 4 chairs.

2903455_2019.jpg

0007874221749_A copy.jpg

Wow! Beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Love 2