Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I agree on liking Jasper and also Ash or Asher. 😊

I'm kind of leaning toward Jasper, but with all the J names on this forum, everytime I see it, I find myself thinking, "there's a Jasper?"😂

• LOL 16

Growing up, my husband had a beagle named Tchoupitoulas who was called Chop.

There was a house fire a block away from us a year ago or so. All the people got out but they had a new kitten and firefighters went in and rescued the kitty. The family decided to name him Smokey after that.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

Congratulations on the new cat, @Jynnan tonnix. Sending good vibes for Cavendish, @Scarlett45. Many years ago I had a young female cat who developed an astonishing number of bladder stones, with one stuck in the urethra. My vet operated on her because things were so critical. He said that stuck stone was so unusual, and challenging, that he actually lectured on it to vet students, illustrated with the x-rays. That cat lived a nice long life after that, by the way.

I'm a little uncomfortable right now. The top of my head hurts where a doctor used that freeze spray stuff on a lump on my scalp this afternoon. He thinks that should get rid of the lump, but has referred me to dermatology because he wants them to review it as a possible basal cell cancer. Which doesn't particularly frighten me, as along as I don't end up with an ongoing mess on the top of my head, and lose any more hair, lol. 

I thought that little thing looked like a cyst, and was all primed from viewing Dr. Pimple Popper and Save My Skin, for a nice session of having nastiness squeezed out of it. Instead, I get the freeze spray and the C word. Pooh.

• Hugs 21
(edited)

@Jeeves - I hope it turns out to be benign and that that's the end of it! I love my dermatologist. He has helped so much with my eczema!

Yesterday Mr. BB & I stopped into our favorite thrift store. I always check the basket 'o cloth napkins, because you can never have too many. There were some white ones that had been embroidered. They were beautiful, too beautiful to wipe food away with, so I bypassed them and chose more traditional ones. I can't stop thinking about them, so I'm going to go back to get them today. I'll just give them to one of my daughters. Maybe they can use them as antimacassars or come of with some other creative use. 

It's too soon for good news Sunday, but I am over the moon. My endocrinologist said I could stop the drug that had so many unpleasant side effects. I have been feeling so lousy on it. I feel so much better already. My Sleep Number had shown my heart rate up the whole time I was on it, which was an alarming change from my normal heart rate. It's back to normal now and I got a 92 overall sleep score (that's good!) last night. I know the SN bed is not medical, but I couldn't help but be concerned about the change after all this time!

I hope everyone has a beautiful summer day today 🙂

Edited by BetyBee
  • Like 4
  • Love 11

I hope everyone here has a nice weekend.  I am planning on taking a break from the internet for the next few days.  I have zero desire to discuss any of the boneheaded Duggar-adjacent hot takes that I know are incoming.  See y'all on Monday or Tuesday when I have processed things.  

• Hugs 13
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I hope everyone here has a nice weekend.  I am planning on taking a break from the internet for the next few days.  I have zero desire to discuss any of the boneheaded Duggar-adjacent hot takes that I know are incoming.  See y'all on Monday or Tuesday when I have processed things.  

Me too. I’m leaning hard into the self care this weekend, and I hope you can do so as well (and anyone else who needs it, regardless of the reason).

• Hugs 8
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Same. I’m blasting music and trying to disconnect. Or I will lose it. Take care.

• Hugs 6
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Cinnabon said:

Same. I’m blasting music and trying to disconnect. Or I will lose it. Take care.

I'm not "over the moon" anymore. Reality bites, so I went for a long walk. This place is a nice distraction for me, though. Peace to all Small Talkers!

• Hugs 6
  • Love 5
On 6/22/2022 at 6:17 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Thanks. Here he is! They (he and the old cat) have seen each other through the sliding door. Both interested. Our older cat does not appear antagonistic as she did with the feral cat that lived under our porch, so we're taking that as a positive so far! Still trying to decide on a name...if we combine some from the short list, he might end up as something like Earl Jasper Dorian Gray...Though I kind of like Grigio as well....

img_1_1655943205734.jpg

He's adorable.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cavendish is HOME! I’ll be sharing more details on his progress in the Pets thread, but I am SO SO HAPPY. 

13EBFFE5-1C73-489E-9C52-2CEE3745BFE7.jpeg

All your furry people are so fortunate to have you looking out for them!

• Love 8
7 hours ago, wilsie said:

All your furry people are so fortunate to have you looking out for them!

You’re so sweet. I’ve had cats almost my entire life, and mostly males, and have NEVER had an issue like this. 

He’s only 8 (I checked his paper work and he turned 8 in May). He has only been with me 6months, I thought to myself Thursday, if he was still in the shelter he wouldn’t have made it, by the time they noticed something was wrong it would’ve been too late. I’m just glad I noticed him bleeding when I did and could get him in right away. 

I am so happy to have him back. I was not in the mood to lose another pet. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 10

One of my grandsons leaves today on a mission trip to Tennessee. I’ll be bringing him to the church shortly. He has to be there by 3a and the plan is for them to depart at 3:30a. 🥱 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

One of my grandsons leaves today on a mission trip to Tennessee. I’ll be bringing him to the church shortly. He has to be there by 3a and the plan is for them to depart at 3:30a. 🥱 

whoa, thats early!!!!

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, zoomama said:

whoa, thats early!!!!

Indeed! It’s about 700 miles from here. They’ve already stopped at a rest stop in West Virginia and stopped for brunch in Virginia.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Saw the Elvis movie today. It was great. I saw him at the Macon Coliseum in the early 70s. Sweet Son and I went to Graceland in the late 80s. I left the movie weeping. Lots of memories. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 12
  • Love 5
On 6/23/2022 at 11:17 AM, BetyBee said:

@Jynnan tonnix, you said you'd welcome suggestions. The first look I had at your sweet kitten, the name Smoky came to mind. 

We had a lovely pale gray cat, so very sweet, that my kids named Smoky.  I always called him Mokey, my baby talk version of Smoky.  I loved that cat so much.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 2
On 6/26/2022 at 2:25 AM, ginger90 said:

Lol, that was going to be my question- does the trip involve dumdums or nail polish?  Glad he’s actually being useful!  Any banana bread involved?

• LOL 8
(edited)
On 6/21/2022 at 9:07 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Ugh, just checked in on the bedroom. Even with a fan going, it's 90 in there. Windows are open, but I think sleep will be elusive tonight. 😵

I keep my freezer stocked with the gel packs used for coolers.  (The ones that soften, not the rigid plastic ones).  I use them during the day and evening when I'm sitting by holding/propping them against my wrists, where there are some fine veins, to cool my blood down.  At night I "snuggle" with one!

Edited by Leeds
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/22/2022 at 5:17 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Thanks. Here he is! They (he and the old cat) have seen each other through the sliding door. Both interested. Our older cat does not appear antagonistic as she did with the feral cat that lived under our porch, so we're taking that as a positive so far! Still trying to decide on a name...if we combine some from the short list, he might end up as something like Earl Jasper Dorian Gray...Though I kind of like Grigio as well....

img_1_1655943205734.jpg

My friend had a grey cat called Pinot.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:37 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Photo from the nurse this morning- he looks normal except for the cone! I also took a photo of what they had on the tv for the cats in the “Quiet Cat Room”. 

B30F24CD-43EF-4F0A-87EF-62C6B0E64724.jpeg

I just have to say that a squirrel in the "Cat Quiet Room" seems like an odd choice!

Glad to hear Cavendish is on the mend.  Hope he's home soon.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

I just have to say that a squirrel in the "Cat Quiet Room" seems like an odd choice!

Really? The squirrel would be prey- I would think the cats would like the sharp movements. 

• Love 2

I just finished setting up my new computer printer.  My HP was well over 15 years old, and was making some strange noises.  I also don't like the high price of cartridges.  So I decided to spend the money and buy a tank printer.  I figure the cost of 4 sets of cartridges for the old  printer will equal the new printer price.  I debated between Epson and HP, but I decided on the HP 7301 because I have had such good luck with HP printers in the past.  I read a lot of reviews about the Epson computers dropping internet connection while using a Mac, but my friend bought the Epson 4850 and just loves it.  I know that reviews are just other people's ideas, and some people just like to complain, but I decided to stay loyal the the brand I know.  I was worried about setup, but it was really easy.  You have to use the HP app, but it is step by step and and very well explained.  I loved pouring the bottles of ink in the ink chambers.  No more cartridges.  Now I have no excuse not to get busy and start scanning the boxes and boxes of vintage photos that are sitting in my office.  Since so many are from the very early 1900's I needed the flatbed scanner feature.  So, no more excuses!  (FYI, the guy at Best Buy said they are not getting printer cartridges in very often and are very low on supply.  If you have a printer that uses cartridges, you might not want to wait  until you run out of ink to get more.)

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Really? The squirrel would be prey- I would think the cats would like the sharp movements. 

I agree. My cats chirp when they see squirrels running around outside. There is a definite attraction. 

• Love 4

I just got off the phone with my son. Emily's blood type is A and my DIL's is O, so the baby will need extra time under the bili blanket. Emily also is trying to put herself on a 3-hour feeding schedule and the pediatrician wants her to eat smaller portions every 90 minutes - 2 hours to help get rid of the blood antibodies quicker. 

• Hugs 6
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Nysha said:

I have a new granddaughter!!! My son called me at 2:45 am yesterday (29th) to let me know that Emily Rose had arrived, healthy and beautiful. She looks just like my son. 

Also, I sold my car for $300. The repairs were over $2,500 and there was no way I could afford that, plus the car is 22 years old and not worth that. My goal this week is to file state & fed taxes b/c I'm getting about $250-300 from each. That will get me a good enough down payment to buy a new used car and keep the payments low.

How lovely congrats!

On 6/28/2022 at 9:38 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I think the point was that if the cat is supposed to be quietly recovering, a squirrel video might be a bit over-stimulating...

That makes sense I hadn’t thought of that!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We have a tropical storm over our heads. I’m almost grateful because it’s too wet and rainy for fireworks and fires. The cats are not hiding under the bed because of noise. It’s turning out to be a nice quiet relaxing weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10

My husband and I both have Covid. Grateful for the shots, boosters and antiviral pills keeping us alive. Our symptoms are cough, HEAVY sleepiness, and laryngitis. I’m also glad we have it at the same time so we don’t need to isolate from each other, and can get it over with. Many thanks to Instacart. 

• Hugs 24

This may have been asked and answered already, but I'm asking again (if so) because of the issues I'm having. Is anyone else here experiencing spam when sitting on the site or scrolling through the threads? And by that I mean, it takes me to another page which is clearly not legit and I have to back arrow to get back here. It happens frequently and I'm not sure if it's a virus on my phone (which only comes out on this site) or if it's a site issue. I've run my virus scanner every way I know how to do it and it comes up with nothing. And I have so many issues with being on this page now, that I don't really want to have to jump all over the board to ask elsewhere.

Am I just nuts?

• Sad 4
14 minutes ago, beckie said:

This may have been asked and answered already, but I'm asking again (if so) because of the issues I'm having. Is anyone else here experiencing spam when sitting on the site or scrolling through the threads? And by that I mean, it takes me to another page which is clearly not legit and I have to back arrow to get back here. It happens frequently and I'm not sure if it's a virus on my phone (which only comes out on this site) or if it's a site issue. I've run my virus scanner every way I know how to do it and it comes up with nothing. And I have so many issues with being on this page now, that I don't really want to have to jump all over the board to ask elsewhere.

Am I just nuts?

I am getting the popups as well. Only on this site and only during the first time I log in. I think it started on Friday? I am also on a phone (android).

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I seem to be fine until I get a warning of a privacy notice. I’ve taken it to Best Buy (the Geek Squad) who allegedly fixed it and when it popped up again they told me to shut it off for awhile. That works, buts it’s inconvenient.
    Only getting the usual ads and pop ups, but I’m not on a phone either. 

14 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I am getting the popups as well. Only on this site and only during the first time I log in. I think it started on Friday? I am also on a phone (android).

It happens for me every time I'm on the page, but sometimes worse than others. It's beyond annoying. If it's a site issue, I wish they'd do something about it. 

• Like 2

It's been happening to me quite a bit. Not only on this site, but mostly. I recently had a virus on my laptop that was resolved, and most of the phone issues went away at the same time, but it still wants to tell me I've been selected as the lucky winner of something or other most of the time that I start trying to scroll on this site.