Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement and advice. I've had time to relax and reflect. I'm going to ask my psychologist if my best friend can attend our next appointment because I think I'm not processing everything being discussed. If I still feel like she's not taking my concerns seriously and my friend agrees with that, I'm going to find someone else to work with. 

On a happier note, I've had a very quiet Sunday. I've been organizing my 'stuff' into keep, give away, and trash. I think I may have enough writing utensils to give one to every man, woman, and child in the U.S. 😎

• Like 5
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I just got very bad news my pop pop who is 96 died this afternoon mom is back in the hospital and I am making arrangements to go to the funeral. 

I’m so sorry. Please take care of yourself.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

I just got very bad news my pop pop who is 96 died this afternoon mom is back in the hospital and I am making arrangements to go to the funeral. 

Oh, I'm so sorry. Sending virtual hugs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I’m sorry to hear about your Pop Pop and Mom. Even though you are busy taking care of everything for everyone else, please don’t forget to give yourself some time and self care. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I’m so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs to you!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm sending good vibes to Rootbeer and @Ohiopirate02. There was a big storm in Ohio on Monday. I hope they and anyone else from Ohio is okay.

May your Pop Pop's memory be a blessing @Rabbittron

I hope everyone else is okay.

I don't live in Ohio anymore.  I'm part of the NC contingent on these boards now.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I am an Ohioan! Where I live, we just had some pretty good thunderstorms. Nothing I haven't seen before. But south of us... whoo boy. I don't think there are any trees left standing! It was pretty wild, according to the pictures on the local news stations!

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I am an Ohioan! Where I live, we just had some pretty good thunderstorms. Nothing I haven't seen before. But south of us... whoo boy. I don't think there are any trees left standing! It was pretty wild, according to the pictures on the local news stations!

Yes, it seems like Richland and Ashland counties got the worst of it, they're about 2 hours southwest of Cleveland, Mansfield is probably the only town down there that anyone here would perhaps know.  The county where JRod lives, Wayne, is directly to the east of them; hence, her report of a 'land hurricane' which I don't think this actually was.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

I’ve encountered some bullying lately. I thought this was an appropriate response. 
It’s an untitled poem that I wrote. Feel free to give me name suggestions. 

To all you bullies here on Twitter 

No, I won’t say your name 

You hurt me yes, but I won’t get bitter 

Or let others give you shame 

We only win when we are kind 

Especially to those so mean

There’s something wrong with you mind 

Which is why you do demean 

My revenge is to keep my joy 

And wish some for yourself 

I won’t fall prey to your ploy 

As my friends here are my wealth 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve encountered some bullying lately. I thought this was an appropriate response. 
It’s an untitled poem. Feel free to give me name suggestions. 

To all you bullies here on Twitter 

No, I won’t say your name 

You hurt me yes, but I won’t get bitter 

Or let others give you shame 

We only win when we are kind 

Especially to those so mean

There’s something wrong with you mind 

Which is why you do demean 

My revenge is to keep my joy 

And wish some for yourself 

I won’t fall prey to your ploy 

As my friends here are my wealth 

The block button on Twitter is your friend. 🙂 Sooo many evil trolls there.

• Love 6

It's a good poem, @Mindthinkr! I'm sorry you've been bullied. I block unpleasant people on Twitter. Navigating FB is more difficult for me, specifically FB groups. Even more specifically, I'm disgusted by the group for my town. All people do is complain & criticize. Even posting about finding a pet will get you criticized. The people in my town seem to spend most of their time complaining about potholes! I never comment and scroll on by, but I do try to react positively to positive posts. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

It's a good poem, @Mindthinkr! I'm sorry you've been bullied. I block unpleasant people on Twitter. Navigating FB is more difficult for me, specifically FB groups. Even more specifically, I'm disgusted by the group for my town. All people do is complain & criticize. Even posting about finding a pet will get you criticized. The people in my town seem to spend most of their time complaining about potholes! I never comment and scroll on by, but I do try to react positively to positive posts. 

This sounds like the local Next Door site.  Currently there is group ranting on and on about how they are censored and how their first amendment rights are being denied.  There are people who point out that it is a privately owned site with TOS that people agree to and has nothing to do with the right of free speech.  They never ever get it, that they are not guaranteed  a platform; they just want to spew hate and spread misinformation.  I never engage with nonsense but do leave positive reactions as BetyBee does.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Suzn said:

This sounds like the local Next Door site.  Currently there is group ranting on and on about how they are censored and how their first amendment rights are being denied.  There are people who point out that it is a privately owned site with TOS that people agree to and has nothing to do with the right of free speech.  They never ever get it, that they are not guaranteed  a platform; they just want to spew hate and spread misinformation.  I never engage with nonsense but do leave positive reactions as BetyBee does.

It’s all so infuriating! It made me exhausted and depressed so I’ve mostly stopped using SM altogether.

• Hugs 7
  • Love 1

Happy Father’s Day to all of the men that love and nurture others. May they have a great day. 

Im at the VetER with Cavendish, he was screaming in the litter box and it wasn’t just cause Cosmo was messing with him. He’s not blocked but he may have a UTI. (Waiting to get that checked out). 

7C991BD3-A781-4A08-B75E-BF58857623A6.jpeg

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 19
(edited)
On 6/18/2022 at 12:40 AM, Cinnabon said:

It’s all so infuriating! It made me exhausted and depressed so I’ve mostly stopped using SM altogether.

That's how I feel about SM in general and avoid most of it.  I've watched the endless discussion of censorship on Next Door a bit for the train wreck factor.  I never cease to be shocked at willful ignorance and the concept of free speech seems to elude so many people that I am equally depressed and angry about it.  People howling for rights they don't understand never understand any corresponding responsibilities either.  

To broaden the topic, SM may not be the root cause, but certainly is contributing to a lack of civility that fills the media and much of public life.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 3
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Happy Father’s Day to all of the men that love and nurture others. May they have a great day. 

Im at the VetER with Cavendish, he was screaming in the litter box and it wasn’t just cause Cosmo was messing with him. He’s not blocked but he may have a UTI. (Waiting to get that checked out). 

7C991BD3-A781-4A08-B75E-BF58857623A6.jpeg

How is your fur baby?

(edited)
5 hours ago, Suzn said:

That's how I feel about SM in general and avoid most of it.  I've watched the endless discussion of censorship on Next Door a bit for the train wreck factor.  I never cease to be shocked at willful ignorance and the concept of free speech seems to elude so many people that I am equally depressed and angry about it.  People howling for rights they don't understand never understand any corresponding responsibilities either.  

To broaden the topic, SM may not be the root cause, but certainly is contributing to a lack of civility that fills the media and much of public life.

If I have to try and explain the 1st amendment one more time, I may lose it for good. It’s really not a difficult concept. They are all free to start their own blogs or web sites and rant and rave all day and night. Freedom! 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Good news Sunday.  Well  it happened yesterday but I saved it for today. Yesterday my Aunt had a celebration of life in memory of my cousin who was killed in a work accident last November. We had a fish fry because he LOVED  to fish. I forget my inhaler when I left. I got home and called my pharmacy and explained the issue . I had just gotten a refill the day before and was unsure if I could get another one that soon. She said I could but insurance would not pay it would cost me 89.00. I said to go head and fill it I needed the medicine.  Here is the good news.  When I got to the pharmacy my total was 28.00 and this included my Restasis refill which my part is 40.00. I was astonished and she said she used some type of discount card. There were people waiting so I could not find out what discount card she used. I almost cried I was so relieved. 

Maybe she looked up the Goodrx site for a discount code.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Good news Sunday.  Well  it happened yesterday but I saved it for today. Yesterday my Aunt had a celebration of life in memory of my cousin who was killed in a work accident last November. We had a fish fry because he LOVED  to fish. I forget my inhaler when I left. I got home and called my pharmacy and explained the issue . I had just gotten a refill the day before and was unsure if I could get another one that soon. She said I could but insurance would not pay it would cost me 89.00. I said to go head and fill it I needed the medicine.  Here is the good news.  When I got to the pharmacy my total was 28.00 and this included my Restasis refill which my part is 40.00. I was astonished and she said she used some type of discount card. There were people waiting so I could not find out what discount card she used. I almost cried I was so relieved. 

First, that is a lovely idea for a memorial. I hope everyone gained peace from the event.

Second - the same thing happened to me at the pharmacy when I had to get a ridiculously high priced mixed solution for my itchy scalp. The clerk at the pharmacy was appalled at the price as she was ringing me up and she found a discount that brought it down from over $100 to $30. I felt relieved too, and grateful for her kindness. On a side note, one of the clerks at our pharmacy is always bitchy to customers. She never would have made the effort, so I was glad I got one of the nice ones!

I'm starting a colonoscopy prep tonight for my procedure tomorrow. Ugh! So much yuck to drink! It's also really hot here in Chicagoland and tomorrow will be worse. So, I'm also grateful for AC! I made a small bird bath and put it on our deck to help out the birds in this heat.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 8
4 hours ago, BetyBee said:

First, that is a lovely idea for a memorial. I hope everyone gained peace from the event.

Second - the same thing happened to me at the pharmacy when I had to get a ridiculously high priced mixed solution for my itchy scalp. The clerk at the pharmacy was appalled at the price as she was ringing me up and she found a discount that brought it down from over $100 to $30. I felt relieved too, and grateful for her kindness. On a side note, one of the clerks at our pharmacy is always bitchy to customers. She never would have made the effort, so I was glad I got one of the nice ones!

I'm starting a colonoscopy prep tonight for my procedure tomorrow. Ugh! So much yuck to drink! It's also really hot here in Chicagoland and tomorrow will be worse. So, I'm also grateful for AC! I made a small bird bath and put it on our deck to help out the birds in this heat.

Good luck with the colonoscopy! I have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled in a couple of weeks. I am dreading both.

• Hugs 6
6 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Good luck 👍 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Scarlett45, I'm glad Cavendish will be okay. Do you have to give him pills? I don't envy you the task of medicating a cat, although I'm the first to admit that's a skill I never mastered. And I had cats for years, love 'em, but oh boy did they ever win the medication game with me.

Lately I've binge watched YouTube videos of a dog groomer in Canada who has a dry sense of humor and obvious love of, and knowledge about, animals. She grooms cats as well as dogs. The video I watched today features a quite mellow cat. I was kind of surprised at the number of cats who need professional bathing and brushing, but she explained that it can be hard for some long-haired cats to keep up with their own grooming with all that hair. She also said, IIRC, that the flat-faced cats like Persians, can be less efficient at grooming than cats with regular shaped snouts. Which makes sense. BTW she uses a soft fabric band around the head of the dog/cat when using the dryer. She says it helps lessen the noise they hear and can help keep them calmer. 

Here's the one I watched today:

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

@Scarlett45, I'm glad Cavendish will be okay. Do you have to give him pills? I don't envy you the task of medicating a cat, although I'm the first to admit that's a skill I never mastered. And I had cats for years, love 'em, but oh boy did they ever win the medication game with me.

Lately I've binge watched YouTube videos of a dog groomer in Canada who has a dry sense of humor and obvious love of, and knowledge about, animals. She grooms cats as well as dogs. The video I watched today features a quite mellow cat. I was kind of surprised at the number of cats who need professional bathing and brushing, but she explained that it can be hard for some long-haired cats to keep up with their own grooming with all that hair. She also said, IIRC, that the flat-faced cats like Persians, can be less efficient at grooming than cats with regular shaped snouts. Which makes sense. BTW she uses a soft fabric band around the head of the dog/cat when using the dryer. She says it helps lessen the noise they hear and can help keep them calmer. 

His medicine is a liquid injectable, which is making him kinda drowsy so he isn’t unhappy about it. 

Scarlett(left of my photo) needed constant brushing and grooming. After Charlie (died March 2020 at 15) turned 12, I got him shaved 2-3x a year. He was sweet about it though. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I watch all her videos on Instagram! 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Good luck with the colonoscopy! I have a colonoscopy and an endoscopy scheduled in a couple of weeks. I am dreading both.

I had both at the same time a few years ago and the only awful part was the prep! Otherwise it was easy peasy.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Is this woman for real? I read her posts and shake my head.

Also this is NOT a description of JRod. 

AC768F3D-DD12-4F16-8C96-6540AEB38941.jpeg

Yes, she and her husband is a million times worse. They are who the Rod parents follow instead of Gothard. 

I bet the Rod girls all have a submissive spirit. 😭

• Sad 7

Good Morning, Small Talkers! My colonoscopy is later this morning.  This is my 3rd one. I'm in my sixties now and maybe that's part of the reason the prep has been harder. I worked hard to do everything right. I stopped all supplements a week ago & ate low fiber for 4 days prior. My GI peeps have you drink 1/2 the stuff the night before and the other half the morning of. Last night I was struggling and on my 8th 8oz. glass....I threw up! I'm not a frequent puker or a frequent crier, but I was bawling after that. I worked so hard to get the nasty stuff down and I was so afraid I'd have to reschedule and do it again! But I checked the internet and it's not uncommon, so I rinsed my mouth, waited 1/2 hour and drank some more.  Anyway, the better part of the story is that this morning with (a little) sleep under my belt, I got up early and persevered with the rest of the jug. This time I held my nose during each sip (through a fat straw) and that really helped to cut back on the ick factor. I wish I'd thought of that last night! I also did a kind of meditative thing and took several deep breaths in between sips.  My "output" looks clear as it should, so I'm feeling better about heading over there for my procedure, which will include a much needed nap!

• Hugs 18
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Good Morning, Small Talkers! My colonoscopy is later this morning.  This is my 3rd one. I'm in my sixties now and maybe that's part of the reason the prep has been harder. I worked hard to do everything right. I stopped all supplements a week ago & ate low fiber for 4 days prior. My GI peeps have you drink 1/2 the stuff the night before and the other half the morning of. Last night I was struggling and on my 8th 8oz. glass....I threw up! I'm not a frequent puker or a frequent crier, but I was bawling after that. I worked so hard to get the nasty stuff down and I was so afraid I'd have to reschedule and do it again! But I checked the internet and it's not uncommon, so I rinsed my mouth, waited 1/2 hour and drank some more.  Anyway, the better part of the story is that this morning with (a little) sleep under my belt, I got up early and persevered with the rest of the jug. This time I held my nose during each sip (through a fat straw) and that really helped to cut back on the ick factor. I wish I'd thought of that last night! I also did a kind of meditative thing and took several deep breaths in between sips.  My "output" looks clear as it should, so I'm feeling better about heading over there for my procedure, which will include a much needed nap!

When I did the prep for my colonoscopy my Dr said when I pooped clear I could stop drinking that nasty drink. I did that after 1/2 gallon. I also got it as cold as I could and as you did used a straw.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

When I did the prep for my colonoscopy my Dr said when I pooped clear I could stop drinking that nasty drink. I did that after 1/2 gallon. I also got it as cold as I could and as you did used a straw.

The biggest straw you can get helps a lot. Getting it as cold as possible indeed helps. A trick that my husband and I have had success with is taking a squeeze of lemon juice from a cut lemon both before and after each drink of the prep. It really helped us. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

The biggest straw you can get helps a lot. Getting it as cold as possible indeed helps. A trick that my husband and I have had success with is taking a squeeze of lemon juice from a cut lemon both before and after each drink of the prep. It really helped us. 

When I did my first one the Dr told me it would help to suck on hard candy to get that taste out of my mouth. Nope I just had a bad taste made sweet. I will remember the lemon.  When the Dr was explaineing the preparation he warned me the solution tasted bad. I thought " How bad could it?" I went to the nurse to schedule the procedure and she told me the procedure itself was easy but drinking the liquid was hard because of the taste.  I thought "Ok?" I went to get the prescription for the preparation drink and the pharmacist told me to be prepared for the bad taste.  My thoughts...I am scr×××d. There has to be a better way.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Good luck. You’re a trooper!

• Love 3

Since I only made it through less than half the liquid the first try, still was clear though, the second time the doctor let me use mag citrate.  Some people say it's awful, but it worked great for me and I only needed about five ounces.  You still have to drink a lot to avoid dehydration, but it can be something you actually want to drink.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4